[FM12] New American League system.

sporadicsmiles

The USA football system has been totally revamped!

128 NEW teams.

more than 1000 NEW players and staff (all fake, to pad out the teams).

4 NEW divisions.

So here is how it works. There are 4 divisions, with 32 teams in each division. The league runs kinda like the MLS and NFL and other american sports leagues do. There are 4 conferences in each league, which are regionalised, the winner of each of these will qualify for the final tournament. The teams are also ranked together for overall standings, and the next 4 best teams also make the playoffs at the end of the season. It is then a straight 2 legged knock out to be champions. The 8 lowest ranked teams are relegated. See the next post for images to further illustrate this.

Each club starts with a manager and 8 players which are created in the database, to help setting up clubs from scratch, and to aid with wage budgets and such things. The aim overall is to make USA the center of the footballing world, and as such the leagues and clubs have large reputations. Most of the major cities are represented in the game, with real life stadia which exist irl are used for the teams. Having tested this a little everything seems to work quite nicely, so download and let me know what you think. I am always open to hearing any suggestions for improvements.

DOWNLOAD LINK REMOVED. I am getting a crash after the update, so until I isolate that, this file will be unavailable

sporadicsmiles,

Thank you for the putting this together !! This looks very interesting and will definately give it a go.

I just started playing with it and one thing I noticed - at all league levels, all 8 teams that are promoted are promoted into Group D in the league above, and all 8 teams relegated are relegated into Group A in the league below. Is this how it should be ? If so, Group A should always be the strongest group and Group D should always be the weakest.

I have used the Editor a lot and the Advanced Editor some and I am wondering how you put this file together. How did you create/setup the leagues and the league rules ? Did you first set everything up with either the basic editor or advanced editor and then use the "Merge Editor Data" option ? I am still in the learning process and have never used that option before.

No Canadian teams?

I was planning to make something similar for Canada as a stand alone file, eventually.

sporadicsmiles,

Thank you for the putting this together !! This looks very interesting and will definately give it a go.

I just started playing with it and one thing I noticed - at all league levels, all 8 teams that are promoted are promoted into Group D in the league above, and all 8 teams relegated are relegated into Group A in the league below. Is this how it should be ? If so, Group A should always be the strongest group and Group D should always be the weakest.

I have used the Editor a lot and the Advanced Editor some and I am wondering how you put this file together. How did you create/setup the leagues and the league rules ? Did you first set everything up with either the basic editor or advanced editor and then use the "Merge Editor Data" option ? I am still in the learning process and have never used that option before.

I hadn't noticed that the promoted/relegated teams did that, and I will have a look at resolving that, I might have an idea why it is doing that.

I put the file together entirely in the advanced editor, I had made a similar league system before with help of someone else's file, so that bit was quite easy. I basically made all the teams and leagues, set up the league system in the advances editor, then added all the players etc after testing because I needed to balance a bit.

I just got a Application Error crash - game date of August 12, 2012.

That is odd, because I extensively tested this for stability. I will look into that though. That is after the season update day though, can you load up the file and tell me if all the competitions were scheduled properly?

I can confirm that the file does not crash on my computer, so i don't know what the problem is. Were you running any other dbs?

I was only running your file with no other dbs or editor files selected, my game version is 12.0.4 (latest). I selected all of the USA leagues down to the Third Division. I think I last saved the game in early 2012 before it crashed. I'm at work now but I'll try again later when I get home from the last save date and see if it still crashes - if so I'll upload the saved game later today. Thank you for looking into this.

I was only running your file with no other dbs or editor files selected, my game version is 12.0.4 (latest). I selected all of the USA leagues down to the Third Division. I think I last saved the game in early 2012 before it crashed. I'm at work now but I'll try again later when I get home from the last save date and see if it still crashes - if so I'll upload the saved game later today. Thank you for looking into this.

Cheers, I want people to be able to enjoy using the database, so I want to fix any potential bugs that occur!

I hadn't noticed that the promoted/relegated teams did that, and I will have a look at resolving that, I might have an idea why it is doing that.

Just wondering if you had a chance to look at this, and/or if you'd be willing to share your idea on maybe how to resolve this ? I'm familiar with the advanced editor and have had this happen to me in the past without a solution. Would you need to setup regions and assign each team to a region ? Or is there an easier way. Thank you.

Im trying to understand how you have managed to set this up but i cant view the db in the editor, ive loaded it up but its as if there is nothing there :s

Oh, you have to change something in the file so you can view the advanced editor stuff. If you go to the advanced panel activiation and discussion thread it is explained how to do it there.

Just wondering if you had a chance to look at this, and/or if you'd be willing to share your idea on maybe how to resolve this ? I'm familiar with the advanced editor and have had this happen to me in the past without a solution. Would you need to setup regions and assign each team to a region ? Or is there an easier way. Thank you.

Sorry, I have had a hectic week I won't get the chance to check it until sunday now. I have 'ask competition for groups' set as a flag when I set up the group stage, and I have found that sometimes turning this off will make the groups shuffle around. I had the same problem with the Invitational cup when I set that up. So if you want to have a look try changing that. I will look at the file on sunday.

Is there any kits or logopacks for these teams ?

No, and there are no plans to make one either at this stage!

This is my current save on the game at the moment and well done for producing quite a complex system. Playing as Sioux Falls in the bottom division.

The only slight grievances i have with it are that there is no cup competition, even just an FA cup including all teams would be enough for a bit of added spice.

Also something very unimportant is that when in a match, the live league table is not showing.

I hopefully will eventually get around to making an even more complicated system! I want to expand the playoffs to have wildcard teams, and to have some kind of promotion playoffs.

Hum, the live league table not showing could be because of the way the fixtures are set up when I created the league. I am not sure if I can fix that if that is the case.

I hopefully will eventually get around to making an even more complicated system! I want to expand the playoffs to have wildcard teams, and to have some kind of promotion playoffs.

Hum, the live league table not showing could be because of the way the fixtures are set up when I created the league. I am not sure if I can fix that if that is the case.

Thank you so much for sharing your work !! Looking forward to any updates you have !!

I've been playing around with your file, experimenting and customizing - trying to gain more knowledge of the advanced editor. I probably am average user of the advanced editor but have learned a lot from looking at your file this past week. Thank you !!

I know my preferences won't probably match yours and others, that's why I'm trying to figure out how to do things on my own and learn from examples. Your files has helped me out tremendously. Thanks again. One major problem I'm having and am really hung up on, if you could provide any help or insight - I'd greatly appreciate it:

I would like to have only 1 possible team relegated from Level 1 and 1 possible team promoted from Level 2 to Level 1. First, Level 2 would have a championship between the 4 Group winners. This winner would then play the last place team from the premier league in a promotion/relegation playoff. I can not figure out how to get this to work, and can not find any examples. Scotland comp helped some but not close enough. I've been playing around with this type of promotion./relegation structure for over a year with no luck. I can get the 4 Group winners to play a Level 2 championship, and can get a promotion/relegation playoff to work if strickly the last place team from Lvl1 and the top team from Lvl2, but not a cup winner from Level 2.

This week, by using your file for reference, I learned and figured out how to emulate MLB (and the NFL when they had 6 divisions) with an additional wildcard in each league - 2 leagues with 3 divisions each and 2 wildcards in each league (my personal favorite type of league structure and playoff system). My biggest hurdle was getting the 2 wildcard teams to play in the 1st round and giving the division winners a bye - but finally got this to work 100%. Only have minor seeding issues remaining for Round 2 and home field for the higher seeds.

If I can just get the promotion/relegation system described above to work, I'd be extremely happy. Any suggestions or examples you may have would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

I would like to have only 1 possible team relegated from Level 1 and 1 possible team promoted from Level 2 to Level 1. First, Level 2 would have a championship between the 4 Group winners. This winner would then play the last place team from the premier league in a promotion/relegation playoff.

Try having

Level 1 "relegation playoff" - 1 team from this division, 1 team from lower division

Level 2 "championship playoff" - 4 teams

Try having

Level 1 "relegation playoff" - 1 team from this division, 1 team from lower division

Level 2 "championship playoff" - 4 teams

Thank you for the response.

Do you mean throw the 5 teams together into a promotion/relegation playoff ? I tried something similiar in the past with 4 teams - 3 Group winners from Level 2 plus the last place team from Level 1. I got this to work, but it is not what I really wanted. I'd like to have the 4 Group winners from Level 2 play in a Level 2 championship, then the winner of the Level 2 Championship go on to play in the promotion/relegation playoff.

My current work in progress is here:

usa30_pr_v2.xml - will crash around mid-late October - scheduling the promotion/relegation playoff.

NOTE: This is a different file from sporadicsmiles. I tried to apply what I learned from sporadicsmiles' file to a test file. When (or if) I ever get everything working the way I want it to 100%, I will start over from scratch.

Have your championship playoff in one stage, and then qualify the winner of that stage for the promotion/relegation playoff (as another stage). You can have the last-placed team in the top league also qualify for that playoff.

I thought about that late today. That will probably be my next approach. I have the Level 2 Championship as a seperate competition and the Promotion/Relegation playoff as anpther competition.

Dim13, I will have a look at your file - wildcard teams is something I want in this file eventually, but I haven't looked into it yet. I will have a play with promotion/relegation because I would like that too.

The download link in the first post is updated, the only change being to stop promoted teams all being in the same group in the league.

Dim13, I will have a look at your file - wildcard teams is something I want in this file eventually, but I haven't looked into it yet...

sporadicsmiles: For just the wildcards, you may want to look at this file instead:

usa30_2wc_v2.xml

This is my test template before messing around with promotion/relegation and shouldn't crash.

30 teams - 2 leagues (15 teams each league) with 3 divisions each league - 2 wildcards plus division winners each league. Round 1 wildcards only with division winners given a bye.

The 2 leagues (MLS East and MLS West) are kept independent, so a playoff team in divisions 1-3 won't ever play a playoff team in divisions 4-6 until the final championship game (ie Superbowl, World Series).

This is just a test and experimental template. I just threw 30 teams together not paying attention to whether they are actually in the East or West, etc. The schedule is just a random 14 game schedule.

You'll notice in the groups and league stage I pick the wildcard teams a little different - as Top Playoff instead of Qualified. This way the wildcard teams are highlighted in the game on the Group standings screen. Sorry, can't post a screenshot now - not at home.

I've been playing around with a league that's split into groups with a playoff. What I've been having trouble getting to work is the competition naming a champion. It plays through and resets the next season, but the winner isn't declared. Have you done anything in particular in your set-up to get that to work?

I have MLS as a parent competition with MLS East and MLS West as child competitions for MLS. I have the MLS East playoffs as a stage in the MLS East competition, and the MLS West playoffs as a stage in MLS West competition. The winner in the final round of the MLS East playoff stage qualifies for the MLS Cup (same for MLS West) by setting the fate for the Final Round winner in both the MLS East playoffs and MLS West playoffs. The MLS Cup is a separate competition and not under MLS, MLS East or MLS West.

You don't have MLS Cup as a child competition of the parent competition MLS? I've thought about doing that, too... I'm just not sure whether my promotions and relegations will work properly (because the cup winner would be promoted).

I'd tried having the the championship as a child competition itself, which did record a winner. The problem was that the next season some of the teams that should have been in the child comps disappeared and were replaced by the highest reputation teams in the country.

I'll play around with your suggestion and see what happens - thanks, Dim!

You don't have MLS Cup as a child competition of the parent competition MLS? I've thought about doing that, too... I'm just not sure whether my promotions and relegations will work properly (because the cup winner would be promoted).

I'd tried having the the championship as a child competition itself, which did record a winner. The problem was that the next season some of the teams that should have been in the child comps disappeared and were replaced by the highest reputation teams in the country.

I'll play around with your suggestion and see what happens - thanks, Dim!

I can't think off hand why it won't work to have the MLS Cup as a child competition under MLS. Don't know if I tried that or not - been working on this type of league structure off and on for little over a year. It would be cleaner and more organized to have the MLS Cup as a child comp. Did you set the Fates for the MLS Cup winner and loser, even if No Fate ? Maybe also try setting the next Round Indexes for both the winner and loser to -1 (Final round).

I think I'd prefer to have the MLS Cup as a child comp - I'll play around with that tonight.

Do you want it as a separate competition from MLS? I just have a playoff stage after my league stages. But, if you wanted separate qualification for other competitions, I could see why you'd want a separate MLS Cup.

No, I'd think I'd much rather have it as a child of MLS, and not a separate comp.

I starting using the advanced panel with FM11 - still learning. I have less knowledge about setting up cups than leagues - specifically qualifying teams from other stages/comps. I may have had the MLS Cup as a child comp of MLS at one time with FM11 and had problems - due to my limited knowledge. Then moved it to a separate comp outside of MLS and it worked for me after that. I stopped playing FM11 about 6 months ago, purchased FM12 in Nov. and have just recently started playing around with the editor again - looking at some samples and resuming my old experiments. This thread really re-sparked my interest again.

Toronto Blizzard:

I was able to successfully move the MLS Cup as a child to MLS - tested 3 season - everything appears fine. Here is a copy of the my file:

usa30_2wc_v3.xml

I also added another comp called MLS Promotion Relegation as a child in preparation for the Prom/Releg playoff. Right now the 2 last place (15th) place teams play. I will need to add the Championship Level 2 winner here.

Toronto Blizzard:

I was able to successfully move the MLS Cup as a child to MLS - tested 3 season - everything appears fine. Here is a copy of the my file:

usa30_2wc_v3.xml

I also added another comp called MLS Promotion Relegation as a child in preparation for the Prom/Releg playoff. Right now the 2 last place (15th) place teams play. I will need to add the Championship Level 2 winner here.

This is great - thanks, Dim! I'll take a look and see if I can replicate it.

I'd be interested to see what happens when you add another league in for promotion/relegation. I think that's where I had problems in getting the right teams.

Working on it right now. Added ADL for level 2 with 4 divisions. I'm setting up a Prom/Releg Stage in the MLS Parent division for the 4 top level 2 teams and each of the last place teams at level 1 (15th place). However, I won't be able to finish this and test until tomorrow evening at the earliest.

I'd be interested to see what happens when you add another league in for promotion/relegation. I think that's where I had problems in getting the right teams.

Toronto Blizzard:

Here is a copy of my latest test template:

usa30_2wc_v4.xml

I seem to have my Promotion/Relegation playoffs working smoothly - only minor issue: occassionally a couple of teams reshuffle groups at Level 1 after prom/releg - which should be fixable.

In my test template, I have an ADL Championship at Level 2 - all 4 ADL division winners play in an ADL Championship - the winner of the ADL Championship will play in the Level 1 Promotion/Relegation playoff.

Level 1 Promotion/Relegation playoff (Child competition in MLS parent):

Round 1: MLS East 15th place team vs MLS West 15th place team

Round 2: Round 1 loser vs ADL Championship winner

- if Round 2 winner is from the ADL (Level 2) - they are promoted and the Round 2 MLS team loser is relegated the following season

- if Round 2 winner is from the MLS (Level 1) - no promotion / relegation the following season - the MLS team survived possible relegation

I tested about 6 o 7 seasons and all looks good so far. I hope this sample might help you some with your work.

I think my next experiment will be: A huge Cup competition of inactive teams, with the winner of this Cup to play for promotion into Level 2 against the loser of a competition of all last place Level 2 teams.

Two questions for you, Dim:

1. Are the ADL divisions separate competitions, or groups within a single competition?

2. If it's a single competition, does the game still recognise the winner as the champion after the pro/rel playoff?

What I found happens in my file is that if one team in the ADL finishes first in the league, but another team wins the ADL championship (and plays the pro/rel playoff), the league winner is named champion even though the ADL playoff winner should be recognised as champ. I suspect it's because of the league fates required to promote/relegate f

Two questions for you, Dim:

1. Are the ADL divisions separate competitions, or groups within a single competition?

2. If it's a single competition, does the game still recognise the winner as the champion after the pro/rel playoff?

What I found happens in my file is that if one team in the ADL finishes first in the league, but another team wins the ADL championship (and plays the pro/rel playoff), the league winner is named champion even though the ADL playoff winner should be recognised as champ. I suspect it's because of the league fates required to promote/relegate f

1. Seperate competitions. I have the American Development League as the parent competition with 4 ADL divisions - ADL Great Lakes Division, ADL Heartland Division, ADL Mid Altantic Division, ADL Northwest Division. I know there are more ADL divisions, but I just chose 4 for testing purposes.

2. Do you mean under "Past Winners". In each ADL division, yes it looks like it does, but not in the ADL Championship - Past Winners data is missing there.

Example, in 2011 Washington Crossfile finished 1st in th ADL Northwest Division, won the ADL Championship and won the MLS Prom/Releg playoff. They were promoted for 2012. Played a couple of more seasons then looked at the ADL Northwest Division, Washington Crossfire is still listed as winner for 2012 - all other ADL divisions past winners are correct. However, in the ADL Championship there are no past winners, but the history of match results are displayed correctly for previous seasons -same for MLS Promotion/Relegation Cup. I may need to play around with this some more to get the ADL Championship to keep the past winners.

If you want the ADL championship to list a winner, you'll probably have to create a cup for them - I tore my hair out trying to figure out why I couldn't get the parent comp to do it, but then realised that the parent comp is kind of just an umbrella and couldn't list its own champion, even though the playoff stage is part of the parent comp.

I now realise that your situation is a bit different because you had multiple child comps and no winner - I had a single league with a playoff and the playoff winner was getting wiped after the pro-rel playoff.

I think I just fixed the missing Past Winners problem. Under Fate Actions, for the Finals Winner, I changed the Qualification Type from Hidden to Past Winner. Simmed a season and everything looks good so far - this time it displayed the ADL Championship Winner under Past Winnes and the winning team went on to the Prom/Releg playoff.

Archived