Replicating Mazzari's Napoli Tactic

Hi there everyone,

As I've enjoyed managing Napoli for 3 years of each FM, being very successful with the club, I wanted to take things to the next level - playing like they do in real life. I've never been able to watch them play properly as I never have time, but the scores clearly show they're great against big teams and the tactic is, no doubt, a unique one.

The problem is that i've been trying to use the limited knowledge I have of their method and it's just not going too well. It's very inconsistent - sometimes doing great but on the other hand, very poor. This is where I need your help - could anyone please share any of their knowledge and tips on making a similar tactic to the one they use in real life?

Thanks.

I can tell you that they play a 3-5-2 that sometimes turns into a 3-4-3. Hamsik and the wing backs are the keys players. Hamsik though truly an AMC likes to stray to the right making it a 3 pronged attack with lavezzi primarily left and Cavani central. The team presses Barca esque and play quite quickly on the counter. The WB's, especially maggio really gets forward in wide positions. Awesome to watch vs. the big teams, some of the best counter attacking football I've ever seen.

take a look at this.. http://www.zonalmarking.net/2011/11/30/conte-tactics-juventus-3-3-napoli/ this site is incredible for tactical information - my opinion on Napoli is that they play a 3421 usually with Cavani as the Spearhead with Lavezzi and Hamsik supporting.. also could be looked at as a 3412 with Lavezzi more up top with Cavani although in this particular game Pandev was in the Cavani role.. good luck anyway!

Zonal Marking has often blogged about Napoli. Here's all the Napoli posts. http://www.zonalmarking.net/tag/napoli/

I'd suggest starting with 343 as a base, probably dropping the rightmost striker down to AM. That should provide you with a reasonably similar positioning at least. :)

This is how I'd set it up:

Balanced (for the mentality structure. well that's what it does anyway, just to say it's a deliberate choice.)

More expressive

More direct

standard with counter attacks: yes ticked

DCC on cover DCL/R on defend

ML/R defensive wingers, one or both on attack

MCL ball-winning midfielder support

MCR ball winning midfielder defend

AMCR Attacking midfielder attack

STCL Complete Forward support/Trequartista

STCC Deep-Lying Forward attack

The idea is to have a midfield that fights for the ball and tries to give it to more attacking players that should be able to create something with all their freedom.

Lavezzi comes deep to get the ball and run at the opponent, Hamsik roams between the lines breaking forward at times mainly on the right and centre. Cavani pushes the line back and looks for through balls but in other situations tries to play in the other two (thus deep-lying forward).

That ticked counter attack: yes makes the team go very attacking when the ball is recovered and while a counter attack is "on" (it's set up as yes in counter, attacking and overload strategies by default), otherwise a more reserved standard strategy is fine (we don't want to rush the attacks if they aren't "on" and we don't want to be too conservative with them either). If you're chasing the game go more attacking, if you're content or under pressure go more defensive.

Generally we wish to play direct balls to the front 3 because they are the true force. With more direct the players are first looking for a pass at mid to long range. If one isn't "on" they settle for a short pass. We're fine with using our ball winners to reach the front 3, but why not play it straight to them if they're free?

Thank you so much, that literally gives me a lot of information that I need to get started. I've youtube'd a few of their match highlights and you can clearly tell their a fast, direct, counter-attackingteam with the front 3 effectively breaking down the defence and the wide midfielders bombing up the flank with the ball.

If I ever make a tactic, then it will be sure thanks to you guys :D

Archived