Sports Interactive Community
Cleon

The SI Sports Centre - DISCUSSION THREAD

I have just finished reading through the main thread and wow, there is a lot of use information in there. For one, how to use the analysis tab effectively. I never used it much before but I just went through all the stats on there in a game vs Hoffenheim away where I was down 0-2 at Half time and managed to get a draw. I saw that my team had made 16 uncompleted crosses and they scored 2 goals from 7 cross attempts.

Anyway, when I get home tonight, I intend to start a new save and try to set up an effective tactic with Dortmund. I want to go with something similar to what you have with Newcastle but with MC's, not DM's. I just have to work out how to create space behind the opposition defence for the poacher. Previously I thought that setting both wide players as Winger-Attack would have them hug the touchline and pull the opposing full-backs wide and stretch the defence so the poacher would have gaps to run into )with an Advanced Playmaker - Support feeding him from deeper) between CB and FB but I did not consider creating space behind them as a lot of teams just sat deep and my poacher got poor ratings and did not do much.

I also am definitely going to keep stopping matches at certain moments to see how my defence might be exploited and maybe watch a match in full every now and then, when necessary.

Cheers Cleon! :)

Regards

Shiraz

When building a tactic or facing any kind of problems you should always have a look at the match. If not how do you know what's wrong? :)

I'm glad you are trying to pay more attention to detail though. You should start to see the benefits after a while as your understanding of the game improves too. If you need a hand with owt just ask :)

Guys what threads should i take a look to learn how to make my own tactic?

Ermm why not read the main thread for this?

Dear Cleon,

First of all, many thanks for your tactics analyses and always good feedback and comments at others. Learned so much from it!

I am trying to implement your Santos 343 tactic with Chelsea. Since my team is gelled I did not loose a single game, but unfortunatly there were some draws that weren't supposed to happen. In all games my asst. manager says I controlled the match and that we should be winning. In some games my strikers were stunning (for example 3-0 vs. Milan and 3-0 vs Leverkussen away), but in other games I struggle and get countered away. I read that you use the shout pass into space and that my striker should drop deeper, so I'm trying to do that. But is this usefull for Drogba, with only passing 9 but with such strong psychics? I'm switching him from AF (a), to DLF (a/s) and TM (s). On the flanks i've Torres (IF left) and Willan (W/IF right). How do you decide when to play them as support or attacking, as I can't see much difference yet. What whould you advise with the three strikers I mentioned?

Also, as a 343 in my opionion relies on narrow defending, do you advice to play more wide when not scoring and thus be vulnerable to counterattacked? And with teams parking the bus, quick or slow tempo?

Thanks in advance and keep up the good work. Sorry about missing things in previous posts, I've read so much the last week that I can't remember all information anymore :)

Well against sides like Milan they'll attack you so automatically they'll leave space and gaps for you to exploit. But against majoity of sides in the league because you are Chelsea they will be more defensive and compact. So in these kind of games you'll need to create spaceand try and break the opposition down. You don't use shouts? If you use the TC then shouts make up 50% of the tactic in all honesty.

Did you watch any of the games in full and use the analysis tab to see exactly how the tactic you use plays out against the defensive sides?

Sure I do use shouts, but I find it difficult to choose when to use which one. Two examples:

- Against Newcastle away I noticed they had a really fast striker in Cisse. But what happened is that Newcastle get a red card in the 3th minute. So after that i decided to quicken the tempo and play a little bit wider. What happened was that I had a lot of possesion, but a few minuts later they countered me and Cisse scored 1-0. So I decided to pull the defensive line somewhat back. Newcastle started to play a 4-4-1 then with Cisse as poacher and the midfield and defence really tight to eachother. After that I was really confused what to do. With the fast tempo my players did really weird things in front of the goal, by shooting a lot and not seeing their own players. Even though I set all my players to shoot rarely, except for Willian who has long shots 16. I watched the game in full but couldn't find and holes in their defence. I decided to switch my mc (Lampard) from DLP tot AP to let him move between the lines. It did not work a lot. Also, I decided to let my full backs go from defence to support. After that Newcastle got a yellow card on their left or right back I started to play the ball down the wings, where I hoped Torres or Willian could get them some trouble. In the end I managed to get a 1-1 draw, but ofcourse I should have won the game. Unfortunatly I couldn't create any CCC and my players were restricted to long shots.

- Against ManU at home I, I watched the game in full, I noticed ManU played with 4-4-2 with the very fast striker Hernandez. 4-4-2 is the formation the tactic seems to have the most trouble with. In the first 10 minutes Hernandez was running trough my defence for fun, so I decreased the def. line a few notchs. To bad he still scored one, but after that he wasn't much trouble anymore.

Because I played against a flat 4-4-2 I wanted to play my cm's between the lines of midfield and defence of ManU. So I maded Lampard an AP or AM (can't remember what) and this helped a lot. We managed to get back to 1-1 and we dominated the match. Unfortunatly Manu get aheads again were Berbatov scored a goal from a cross from their left flank. I don't think I could had done much about that. We keep in possesion and my Asst. manager says that I'm unlucky to be losing. As I saw the Evra and their rightback played nervously and had yellow cards I decided to play over the flanks. I saw that this helped, but Evra was not having much trouble with Willian as their both really quick. What I also noticed is that my left back, Bertrand as replacement for the injured Cole, had a hard day. I did not have any players to substituted for him. He was shooting balls forward while their were passing oppurtunities. Maybe I should have changed my anchor (DML) to an more support role?

Luckely in the 89 minute I scored the 2-2. The shots were like 12 (7 on target and 5 off target) for me and ManU 5 (2 on target and 3 off target). Again I did not played bad, but I think I should have created a lot more chances. But how to create those without losing to tightness in the defence is for me the most trouble.

I hope it is a little bit clear. The problem is that I just see to struggle to make chances. Maybe I am just to afraid for the goal against. I watched your replays with Santos against Chelsea and saw that Ganso and Neymar played so well together. My attackers would have shot on the goal, while yours pass trough the defence. So I'm guessing my attackers don't make enough space to create holes for each other or have simply not the passing abilities and anticipation Ganso and Neymar have.

I really try to understand the ME better, so I hope i'm not to vague as I am still a noob with it. I will continue to read trough this topic and try to pick things up. Thanks for the help again.

Sure I do use shouts, but I find it difficult to choose when to use which one. Two examples:

- Against Newcastle away I noticed they had a really fast striker in Cisse. But what happened is that Newcastle get a red card in the 3th minute. So after that i decided to quicken the tempo and play a little bit wider. What happened was that I had a lot of possesion, but a few minuts later they countered me and Cisse scored 1-0. So I decided to pull the defensive line somewhat back. Newcastle started to play a 4-4-1 then with Cisse as poacher and the midfield and defence really tight to eachother. After that I was really confused what to do. With the fast tempo my players did really weird things in front of the goal, by shooting a lot and not seeing their own players. Even though I set all my players to shoot rarely, except for Willian who has long shots 16. I watched the game in full but couldn't find and holes in their defence. I decided to switch my mc (Lampard) from DLP tot AP to let him move between the lines. It did not work a lot. Also, I decided to let my full backs go from defence to support. After that Newcastle got a yellow card on their left or right back I started to play the ball down the wings, where I hoped Torres or Willian could get them some trouble. In the end I managed to get a 1-1 draw, but ofcourse I should have won the game. Unfortunatly I couldn't create any CCC and my players were restricted to long shots.

- Against ManU at home I, I watched the game in full, I noticed ManU played with 4-4-2 with the very fast striker Hernandez. 4-4-2 is the formation the tactic seems to have the most trouble with. In the first 10 minutes Hernandez was running trough my defence for fun, so I decreased the def. line a few notchs. To bad he still scored one, but after that he wasn't much trouble anymore.

Because I played against a flat 4-4-2 I wanted to play my cm's between the lines of midfield and defence of ManU. So I maded Lampard an AP or AM (can't remember what) and this helped a lot. We managed to get back to 1-1 and we dominated the match. Unfortunatly Manu get aheads again were Berbatov scored a goal from a cross from their left flank. I don't think I could had done much about that. We keep in possesion and my Asst. manager says that I'm unlucky to be losing. As I saw the Evra and their rightback played nervously and had yellow cards I decided to play over the flanks. I saw that this helped, but Evra was not having much trouble with Willian as their both really quick. What I also noticed is that my left back, Bertrand as replacement for the injured Cole, had a hard day. I did not have any players to substituted for him. He was shooting balls forward while their were passing oppurtunities. Maybe I should have changed my anchor (DML) to an more support role?

Luckely in the 89 minute I scored the 2-2. The shots were like 12 (7 on target and 5 off target) for me and ManU 5 (2 on target and 3 off target). Again I did not played bad, but I think I should have created a lot more chances. But how to create those without losing to tightness in the defence is for me the most trouble.

I hope it is a little bit clear. The problem is that I just see to struggle to make chances. Maybe I am just to afraid for the goal against. I watched your replays with Santos against Chelsea and saw that Ganso and Neymar played so well together. My attackers would have shot on the goal, while yours pass trough the defence. So I'm guessing my attackers don't make enough space to create holes for each other or have simply not the passing abilities and anticipation Ganso and Neymar have.

I really try to understand the ME better, so I hope i'm not to vague as I am still a noob with it. I will continue to read trough this topic and try to pick things up. Thanks for the help again.

Even if you don't have the best players in the world you can still create lots of space to exploit. The key to breaking teams down who play deep and keep men behind ball is making them move out of position. Now this bit isn't as hard people believe. All it takes is something like forward runs or a through ball. The general idea against such teams is when you're on the attack you have to drag the oppositions players out of position to create the space you need. So you caan chieve this quite easily by using a DLF on support and when he drops deep his marker should follow him most of the time. This simple move would then create the space or hole where the oppositions player should be. Then if you have supports through the centre via a AMC or a AML/AMR cutting in, it makes it easier for them to play in the space you just created.

Ok thank you, I will play a few games and toy around a little bit and see what happens! Will keep you updated :)

Hey Cleon, I was looking at your tactic for 'The Swansea Way', and I was wondering why you didn't put the LB on attack duty so he can get forward to overload that flank with the inside forward, and switch the DLP and the CM so that the DLP can hold his position on the left to cover for the attacking LB?

Also, what influenced your decision whether or not to increase the tempo during a game - if you felt your side had lots of possession but not enough shots?

Finally, with your fullbacks both pressing heavily, and tackling on normal, did you have any problems against wingers in the PL?

Hey Cleon, I was looking at your tactic for 'The Swansea Way', and I was wondering why you didn't put the LB on attack duty so he can get forward to overload that flank with the inside forward, and switch the DLP and the CM so that the DLP can hold his position on the left to cover for the attacking LB?

Also, what influenced your decision whether or not to increase the tempo during a game - if you felt your side had lots of possession but not enough shots?

Finally, with your fullbacks both pressing heavily, and tackling on normal, did you have any problems against wingers in the PL?

Well he wouldn't have overloaded the flank as the inside forward cuts in. So what would have happened is it would leave me exposed and very vulnerable at the back. Remember I was a weak team so the opposition would have been attacking against me for 90% of the games I played. So I decided against been too adventerous with the left fullback due to the AML playing more like an AMC.

The DLP could have covered like you mentioned but I prefer them playing next to the winger as it automatically gives me width as soon as they link up. I score lots of goals where the DLP passes to the winger who then runs down the flank and crosses against goal for the inside forward to tap in. Playing the other way around like you mentioned would make me narrow which means there wouldn't be space to exploit.

As for tempo I hardly changed it as I felt I was playing at a speed that suited the system I was playing. But if in a game I felt I wasn't making things happen fast enough then I'd increase it.

The fullbacks were fine. If I tackled any harder I'd risk giving away freekicks due to the fullback not having the attributes to win the ball.

Thanks for the quick response - I figured part of the reason was because you were using Swansea, but I didn't consider the DLP-winger connection.

The fullbacks were fine. If I tackled any harder I'd risk giving away freekicks due to the fullback not having the attributes to win the ball.

I was actually thinking of reducing their tackling.

EDIT: So I'm testing the tactic with a lowly Spanish Segunda Division B4 side (predicted finish 17th), and I put the left fullback on attack, along with the other changes I talked about. Results were mixed, then halfway through the season I realised that having the LCB on cover was leaving a huge gap, so swapped the stopper-cover; now won 4 in a row, with a total of 8 consecutive games unbeaten :) You're right about losing the DLP-winger combination, but I'm finding the ball is being fed to the inside forward more, who is my main provider of assists as well as my second-highest goalscorer after the striker. Thanks again Cleon!

I'm a bit lost here... I'm trying to get results but i simply don't know what shouts to use in specific situations.. Could you write a little tutorial what shouts do you use in most common situations Cleon?

Thanks in advance!

I'm a bit lost here... I'm trying to get results but i simply don't know what shouts to use in specific situations.. Could you write a little tutorial what shouts do you use in most common situations Cleon?

Thanks in advance!

She has already :rolleyes:

Thanks for the quick response - I figured part of the reason was because you were using Swansea, but I didn't consider the DLP-winger connection.

I was actually thinking of reducing their tackling.

EDIT: So I'm testing the tactic with a lowly Spanish Segunda Division B4 side (predicted finish 17th), and I put the left fullback on attack, along with the other changes I talked about. Results were mixed, then halfway through the season I realised that having the LCB on cover was leaving a huge gap, so swapped the stopper-cover; now won 4 in a row, with a total of 8 consecutive games unbeaten :) You're right about losing the DLP-winger combination, but I'm finding the ball is being fed to the inside forward more, who is my main provider of assists as well as my second-highest goalscorer after the striker. Thanks again Cleon!

I find that too with my inside forward which is great. The winger/DLP do a lot more work than the actual ratings of the game show though. Such under rates ratings no matter how well they play as ratings are heavily biased towards goals and assists. Meaning the real grafters of the team who do all the leg work and start moves don't always get the rating they truly deserve.

Thanks in advance!

Maybe read the actual thread before posting please.

Since FM11, I have really struggled when playing as stronger teams. I can finish well with a Wigan, an Everton or a Swansea, but if I played as Utd., Arsenal, Liverpool, Chelsea, City or Tottenham, I struggled to match expectations.

So, with FM12, I decided to go back to basics with Utd. I created a very simplistic tactic, relying on pre-existing roles, while turning long shots down. The tactic started as: GK:G,D - RB, LB:FB,Auto - CBR:BPD,C - CBL:CD,X - CMR:BWM,D - CML:AP,A - AMR, AML:W,A - CFR:Treq,A - CFL:P,A.

The idea was just to take it back to basics. I think I overcomplicated the big teams, trying to dominate. When in charge of smaller teams, I tried to keep possession and play to my strengths, whereas I think I tried too much just to win as the big teams. So, the premise was having Hernandez as the goalscorer, with Rooney playing the hole between midfield and attack, and the wingers supoorting. After winning the league 1st season, I made 2 changes, as I was noticing that a) my BWM was ending up too high up the pitch, leaving me exposed, and b) my left winger was cutting infield, and cutting down on the poachers space. So, the BWM became a DLP,D, and the LAM became a Defensive Winger (buying Bale also helped). No tweaks to the pre-existing roles. This season I conceded less, and only lost once all season, with a lot of assists coming from LW, and a lot more goals from Hernandez, as his space wasn't being taken up.

I've started the third season, and I needed to change things up again. However, I did not want to make any major changes. I decided to have the option of playing a TM/CF, giving me options, and this means that when I struggle to break down, I can change it up. But the simplicity is working, which is a good sign, and a complete change from my recent possession tactics. My possession stats are good, but their not the main thing, the thing this tactic does is create a problem for the CB's - come forward to cut off Rooney, or go back to cut off Hernandez. It utilises the players natural abilities, rather than relying on tactical tweaks to win, and that's why I think it works so well with exceptional players, and why I struggled by overcomplicating with top teams.

Taking it back to basics is the best way, there is no need to over complicate the game anymore.

Just a bit of an update which has helped me in my current save as Southampton manager. I've always gravatated towards a standard 4-4-2 as it's the formation I've played in for years and therefore feel I understand the most. By looking closely at the actual instructions of the different roles for the RM and LM position I have decided to pick wide midfielders on support roles rather than wingers for my roles. The reason being is my strikers are not best suited to score from crosses and the wide midfielder role reduces crosses and increases through balls. I feel this has made a huge difference to my team as it also benefits my the defensive side of my team whilst suiting my attacking style.

Another advantage has been my wide men seem to score more than when they were wingers as they are not set to hug touchline. By selecting roles for my front men which drag CD's out of position my wide men are in much better starting positions to exploit the space left by the dragged CD's.

I'm by no means setting the world alight, but I am top after 36 games clear by 5 points, which I'm more than happy with!

Thanks for all the help!

Just a bit of an update which has helped me in my current save as Southampton manager. I've always gravatated towards a standard 4-4-2 as it's the formation I've played in for years and therefore feel I understand the most. By looking closely at the actual instructions of the different roles for the RM and LM position I have decided to pick wide midfielders on support roles rather than wingers for my roles. The reason being is my strikers are not best suited to score from crosses and the wide midfielder role reduces crosses and increases through balls. I feel this has made a huge difference to my team as it also benefits my the defensive side of my team whilst suiting my attacking style.

Another advantage has been my wide men seem to score more than when they were wingers as they are not set to hug touchline. By selecting roles for my front men which drag CD's out of position my wide men are in much better starting positions to exploit the space left by the dragged CD's.

I'm by no means setting the world alight, but I am top after 36 games clear by 5 points, which I'm more than happy with!

Thanks for all the help!

Nice to see you playing to your strengths :)

Maybe I let myself get a little to confident, but I've just lost my last 2 games in the league whilst playing against a narrow and then wide diamond formation. I was honestly outplayed in both and was wondering if anybody had any advice on how best to break down teams who play with a DM.

In the championship not many teams seem to employ a DM but the last 2 teams have and I've struggled. The changes I made in the second game (wide diamond) was was focus passing down the flanks as the opposition DM was breaking up most play centrally into my strikers feet, which did seem to help (only whish I'd changed it before the 70th minute). I also had my target man set to balls into feet which again I only noticed around the 70th minute.

Lastly to stop the opposition AM, I set my most defensive CM to man mark him. So just wondering if anyone has any changes they make when playing against these diamond formations. If anyone wants to know more about my tactic I'm happy to post it up.

Maybe I let myself get a little to confident, but I've just lost my last 2 games in the league whilst playing against a narrow and then wide diamond formation. I was honestly outplayed in both and was wondering if anybody had any advice on how best to break down teams who play with a DM.

In the championship not many teams seem to employ a DM but the last 2 teams have and I've struggled. The changes I made in the second game (wide diamond) was was focus passing down the flanks as the opposition DM was breaking up most play centrally into my strikers feet, which did seem to help (only whish I'd changed it before the 70th minute). I also had my target man set to balls into feet which again I only noticed around the 70th minute.

Lastly to stop the opposition AM, I set my most defensive CM to man mark him. So just wondering if anyone has any changes they make when playing against these diamond formations. If anyone wants to know more about my tactic I'm happy to post it up.

Well you already have the general idea of how to beat them, you just did any changes to late that's all. As you faced the diamond the battle in the middle would be lost for you as they have 4 players (if they used a AMC) making the middle congested. The only way you could control the game via the middle would to be out number them. But if you don't have that many midfielders in your own set up just exploit the flanks and get the fullbacks to look for the overlaps. That way you bypass the middle were the opposition is most effective.

As for the AMC that's what I'd do is get my most attacking midfielder (assuming we are talking MC's and not AMC's) to man mark him. This leaves the defensive minded MC free to pick up loose balls and help the centrebacks out against the 2 strikers.

I've never thought about using my more attacking MC to man mark the opposition AMC. I see your point about how it would still free up my defensive minded MC to still protect my CB's. Against the narrow diamond I lost 4-3 to Peterborough where my defense had been strong up until that point, so hopefully this will help.

These 2 loses have given me the dreaded dip in morale but I think I've stopped the rot now. Top by 1 point with 6 games left.

Thanks for the help!

I've never thought about using my more attacking MC to man mark the opposition AMC. I see your point about how it would still free up my defensive minded MC to still protect my CB's. Against the narrow diamond I lost 4-3 to Peterborough where my defense had been strong up until that point, so hopefully this will help.

These 2 loses have given me the dreaded dip in morale but I think I've stopped the rot now. Top by 1 point with 6 games left.

Thanks for the help!

Have you watched the 2 games back to see exactly how they were lost? It's easier to see how a game was lost and what you did wrong when you're not watching it live :)

I know you already have the general idea, but watching them back or using the analysis tab for those games should tell you quite a bit in the problems you faced and the problems you created for the opposition.

Cleon has turned me into a tactical genius :cool:

First champions league group stage match against bayern:

realbayern1.png

Second champions league group stage match against bayern:

realbayern2.png

I am the special one :cool:

Cleon has turned me into a tactical genius :cool:

First champions league group stage match against bayern:

realbayern1.png

Second champions league group stage match against bayern:

realbayern2.png

I am the special one

If I've turned you into the special one, what am I then? :D

A nice win that, especially away from home. What did you change compared to the 1st leg?

If I've turned you into the special one, what am I then? :D

A nice win that, especially away from home. What did you change compared to the 1st leg?

Well whoever schedules the matches does not like me very much because before the first match, I had only 2 days rest and bayern had 7. The first thing I thought to myself was how was I going overcome the obvious advantage that bayern had already before the match had even started. I decided it was best to try and hit them hard early before my players got too tired.

It worked as I scored in the first 10 minutes of the match. Unfortunately we were unable to add to that lead and bayern got back into the match before the end of the first half. They tied the game 6 minutes into the second half. Bayern defended well and as you can see, I created a good amount of chances against them but those chances fell to my less tired subs; players who you really don't want to rely on for scoring (like Granero).

Schedule-wise, the same thing happened in the return match; the bayern game was 2 days after a league match but now it was in germany. Bayern had 3 days rest and did not have to go anywhere. Because of that I decided that it wouldn't be a good idea to try the same strategy. Bayern controlled the ball well at my place and would likely do the at theirs and being at home you'd expect them to be more aggressive.

I decided in this match I was going to replace my play making MC (modric), with a more defensive minded player (Diarra); someone who would not allow bayern's mids to have the space and time on the ball. Also, seeing how I had problems dealing with the counter attack first time around, I left Marcelo on the bench and had Arbeloa and Ramos at left and right back respectively. I also brought in Albiol at CB and he dominated in the air constantly beating Muller and Gomez in the air.

Basically we hit them on the counter for the first part of the match quite effectively. When we got the 2nd goal, I decided to try to demoralize bayern even further with some hard tackling. It worked and I was about to grab control of the match. So then I brought in modric and proceeded to control the midfield.

Interestingly, I didn't really make tactical changes. My changes were mostly personnel-wise. Its interesting how you can move a couple players around and it can change your team's style of play dramatically.

Now I scored 3 goals in the last 10 minutes. I figured something out.

While try to figure out a good way to close out matches, I realized that the tactical decisions that made to accomplish were creating a lot of chances and goals late in matches for me. And this was happening in all of my saves.

Basically what I've been doing is lowering runs from deep for all defenders and players in the middle of the pitch, MCs or FCs etc., to rarely and lowering dribbling to rarely for everyone. Basically everyone was to try a keep their position while my wingers/wide attackers made runs trying to stretch opposition defense out wide. Essentially I was telling my team to move the ball around without holding onto it for too long and keeping closer together to ensure good passing options. This works wonders when your opponent is tired.

I've had plenty of matches that were close turn into blowouts at the end of a match.

And once again I end up typing way more than I probably needed to :D

Basically what I've been doing is lowering runs from deep for all defenders and players in the middle of the pitch, MCs or FCs etc., to rarely and lowering dribbling to rarely for everyone. Basically everyone was to try a keep their position while my wingers/wide attackers made runs trying to stretch opposition defense out wide. Essentially I was telling my team to move the ball around without holding onto it for too long and keeping closer together to ensure good passing options. This works wonders when your opponent is tired.

I've had plenty of matches that were close turn into blowouts at the end of a match.

You know I tried this method and it worked excellently . ( I play with one winger ) I am Arsenal and I've just played City and beat them 0-2 ( not such a great result ) but what amazed is how this worked so well with Oxlade Chamberlain on the wing . He attacked Zabaleta for 69 minutes and beat him easily. However, he was subbed off because he picked up an injury . AOC received a 8.50 rating and he neither scored or had an assist. He gained fouls in some decent areas of the field for me . Interesting strategy!

I don't understand how you think beating City 0-2 is "not a great result"? :confused:

Especially away from home. Man City are always hard to beat because they use 3 AMC's and that is hard to defend against no matter how good your side is.

Especially away from home. Man City are always hard to beat because they use 3 AMC's and that is hard to defend against no matter how good your side is.

Maybe they fell on hard times in the near future in his save and are now the whipping boys of the prem? ;)

I don't understand how you think beating City 0-2 is "not a great result"? :confused:

Well perhaps , I was wrong and used the wrong choice of words. What I really mean is : I am quite aware of the good players' success and results here and I thought maybe mine would pale into insignificance .

@ Aderow Its just the first season and they are leaders of the table . :)

aderow and Đẹp Trai can you send my yours tactics on PM?

I don't really do that. Plus I'm playing FM10.

Well perhaps , I was wrong and used the wrong choice of words. What I really mean is : I am quite aware of the good players' success and results here and I thought maybe mine would pale into insignificance .

@ Aderow Its just the first season and they are leaders of the table . :)

No result is insignificant, you can only beat the teams put in front of you, right? :)

Cleon, do you start all your matches with two sets of shouts you posted in main thread? Or start first 15min with no shouts at all? Thanks!

Cleon, do you start all your matches with two sets of shouts you posted in main thread? Or start first 15min with no shouts at all? Thanks!

No shouts to start with. It's all explained in the 'First 15 Minutes ' section :)

No shouts to start with. It's all explained in the 'First 15 Minutes ' section :)

Thanks for the answer! And what about the strategy, do you change it during the match?

The nation rankings just came out and to my surprise, I (england) am sitting pretty at the top. Not bad for a novice manager :cool:

I like international management because it seems like I see a greater variety of styles so I have to react differently than I usually would to a situation. Also, there's a greater challenge because I can't just go out and buy a better player for a position.

Hopefully I can improve on my semi final performance at the world cup in the euros.

Thanks for the answer! And what about the strategy, do you change it during the match?

It is all explained in the thread :) But I always start standard then change based on what happens in a game :)

My orginal post was silly;

Cleon; is there any OIs that you find are good when playing against a big team playing as an underdog? (ie. Tight Mark fullbacks)

Hi Cleon,

From the Sports Centre thread I'm interested in your use of Ben Arfa as an Adv Playmaker (support). There has been lots of discussion on how to set up the AMC in a 4-2-3-1...but I am interested to know what you (& others on the forums!) do when you can't get your AMC to influnce play as much as you'd like? I'm thinking of occassions when my 4-2-3-1 faces a formation with either 1 or 2 DMCs - and my AMC struggles to get on the ball. When this happens I often alter my AMCs role to encouage more running towards the flanks - mainly to drag the opposition away from the centre and rely on one of the wide men to cut inside, which is a bit of a hit-and-miss plan-B.

It's interesting to note IRL that when the AMC isn't influencing play the manager often radically changes the type of player used (Mancini pushing Toure forward successfully) or changes formation (Redknapp often going 4-4-2 less successfully IMO). Do you take a similar approach in FM - or have you managed keep your AMC the fulcrum of your attack in most situations?

Hi Cleon,

From the Sports Centre thread I'm interested in your use of Ben Arfa as an Adv Playmaker (support). There has been lots of discussion on how to set up the AMC in a 4-2-3-1...but I am interested to know what you (& others on the forums!) do when you can't get your AMC to influnce play as much as you'd like? I'm thinking of occassions when my 4-2-3-1 faces a formation with either 1 or 2 DMCs - and my AMC struggles to get on the ball. When this happens I often alter my AMCs role to encouage more running towards the flanks - mainly to drag the opposition away from the centre and rely on one of the wide men to cut inside, which is a bit of a hit-and-miss plan-B.

It's interesting to note IRL that when the AMC isn't influencing play the manager often radically changes the type of player used (Mancini pushing Toure forward successfully) or changes formation (Redknapp often going 4-4-2 less successfully IMO). Do you take a similar approach in FM - or have you managed keep your AMC the fulcrum of your attack in most situations?

Good question, I would also like to know the answer to this. 1 thing you could do I suppose is tick the 'roam from position' box.

Cleon.

I have just started reading the sports centre thread and this thread, and i noticed on your Swansea tactics you have manually set the tempo to slow, but underneath it you say that the only thing you manually set was time wasting. Is the error with the pic so that tempo isnt set to slow and time wasting is on rarely? or is the pic right?

Trying to get a nice short passing game going with my Liverpool team in a 4-1-2-2-1 formation with just the default settings but possession is lacking.

edit: nm found answer on tempo being default setting and time wasting lower. Teaches me to read more ;)

Cleon.

I have just started reading the sports centre thread and this thread, and i noticed on your Swansea tactics you have manually set the tempo to slow, but underneath it you say that the only thing you manually set was time wasting. Is the error with the pic so that tempo isnt set to slow and time wasting is on rarely? or is the pic right?

Trying to get a nice short passing game going with my Liverpool team in a 4-1-2-2-1 formation with just the default settings but possession is lacking.

edit: nm found answer on tempo being default setting and time wasting lower. Teaches me to read more ;)

Yeah sorry was a typo, I thought I'd fixed it though :(

Cleon are you still developing your W-M formation, if so will there be any updates soon?

I'm not doing anything more for FM12 :)

Can someone provide me successful game with 12.0.4 plz?

Why 12.0.4?

Hi Cleon,

Anyone?

Thanks.

I don't really do anything other than use the shouts. Honestly I don't. I just do what I outlined in the first 15 mins section and then do the rest via shouts.