The SI Sports Centre - DISCUSSION THREAD

What formation are you using now tom? still the same one?

Yep, 4-1-2-2-1.

The big difference now is that changed how I play during preseason, (that is when I developed the shouts), and now we play a slower, more possession style of football, whereas previously it was more centered around counter attacking. The Striker has turned from a DLP to a Trequarista, and whether I use Papiss Cisse there or shoehorne Sergio Canales into the role, both of them do it well. Canales probably a bit better because of his superior First Touch, Dribbling, Passing, and Creativity.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Im using a 4-2-2-2 i think. With two defensive midfielders and inside forwards. Seems to be working really well. I have encountered some problems now however, as the save have progressed quite a bit. Currently sitting on a 2nd place, one point behind City. But there are some areas i seem to struggle, and was wondering if anyone had any tips on how i could handle it. This is happending mainly against really strong opposition.

When i'm up against a really tough side away, I almost always get this message from my assistent manager: "X top team is dominating possision only because we are gifting them" or something along those lines. Basicly when i have posession my passing is just horrible. I feel that whenever i get the ball the opposition put so much pressure on me, and i end up giving the ball away, so i can't do anything constructive with it. Gifting away posession is very annoying.

I also seem to struggle mostly against the 442 formation. It seems like i just can't handle it. How do you exploit the weakness of this formation? It seems really balanced and i'm getting overplayed. :/

Just take a look at this screenshoot from my away games against United:

1143461.jpeg

If you take a closer look on this picture you would see that total passes completed is only at 67% while United is rocking at 77%. A staggering 10% difference. Is this due to my players are just not good enough?

Even more worrying and a thing that emphasises my problem is revealed when you look at passes completed in defense. While United have a whooping 77% sucsess rate when passing in the defense i have 43%... Over 30% difference! That cannot be a good thing! How do i solve this?

Yep, 4-1-2-2-1.

The big difference now is that changed how I play during preseason, (that is when I developed the shouts), and now we play a slower, more possession style of football, whereas previously it was more centered around counter attacking. The Striker has turned from a DLP to a Trequarista, and whether I use Papiss Cisse there or shoehorne Sergio Canales into the role, both of them do it well. Canales probably a bit better because of his superior First Touch, Dribbling, Passing, and Creativity.

Newcastle have been relegated in my save so I've decided to create another save and take over them. I was thinking of using Hatem Ben Afra in the Canales role :)

Im using a 4-2-2-2 i think. With two defensive midfielders and inside forwards. Seems to be working really well. I have encountered some problems now however, as the save have progressed quite a bit. Currently sitting on a 2nd place, one point behind City. But there are some areas i seem to struggle, and was wondering if anyone had any tips on how i could handle it. This is happending mainly against really strong opposition.

When i'm up against a really tough side away, I almost always get this message from my assistent manager: "X top team is dominating possision only because we are gifting them" or something along those lines. Basicly when i have posession my passing is just horrible. I feel that whenever i get the ball the opposition put so much pressure on me, and i end up giving the ball away, so i can't do anything constructive with it. Gifting away posession is very annoying.

I also seem to struggle mostly against the 442 formation. It seems like i just can't handle it. How do you exploit the weakness of this formation? It seems really balanced and i'm getting overplayed. :/

Just take a look at this screenshoot from my away games against United:

1143461.jpeg

If you take a closer look on this picture you would see that total passes completed is only at 67% while United is rocking at 77%. A staggering 10% difference. Is this due to my players are just not good enough?

Even more worrying and a thing that emphasises my problem is revealed when you look at passes completed in defense. While United have a whooping 77% sucsess rate when passing in the defense i have 43%... Over 30% difference! That cannot be a good thing! How do i solve this?

You use AML/AMR or 2 AMC's?

Have you not watched the game back and seen what was wrong?

Your passing is low due to the back 4 and the keeper. You'd have had more possession if they adn't been giving the ball away as much. Use the analysis tab to view the passes back for the whole back 5 and see why they were giving them away. There's a bit in the main thread about using the anlysis tab.

To beat the 442 you don't exploit it really other than play through the middle of it. The way to beat it is to cut the supply off that the wingers provide for the forwards. The 442 relies on support from the wide areas and crosses.

Man Utd didn't have 77% possession in defence they had 69%.

Cleon few questions. In your swansea save how come you played Gylfi as DLP instead of Allen? Also who did you use as back up for Graham, was it Dobie? And finally! did you use Spearing as DLP when Gylfi wasn't playing? cheers

Have you viewed Gylfi and Allen's attributes? I'm sure you can work out why Gylfi was the DLP :D

Dobbie was the back up for Graham yeah, although I played Gylfi there for a few games too.

Spearing played in DMC, MC and DLP. It was just a case of he'd play where I need him to be. He is only cover so he was used as whatever rather than have his own position.

AML/AMR. Analysed the game and noticed that Lindegaard got four of his passes intercepted while Vorm had sixteen of his intercepted. And the passing in my defense was horrible. Just giving away passes. How can i prevent that? It seems that if they get pressed hard they just do silly mistakes. And seems unable to play a smart passing game. Anything i can do about it? Oh and the United game was really early on, so the tactic was only about 55% fluid. Might have something to do with it.

AML/AMR. Analysed the game and noticed that Lindegaard got four of his passes intercepted while Vorm had sixteen of his intercepted. And the passing in my defense was horrible. Just giving away passes. How can i prevent that? It seems that if they get pressed hard they just do silly mistakes. And seems unable to play a smart passing game. Anything i can do about it? Oh and the United game was really early on, so the tactic was only about 55% fluid. Might have something to do with it.

Yeah fluidity will ease some of the mistakes.

However for the passing, you could set Vorm to distribute to the defender rather than him booting it up front? That way the passing % should be automatically better.

For the rest of the defence it depends really. If the passing was been interecpted due to it been short then try a different style of passing. Or if it was direct and been intercepted maybe use a shorter passing?

Cheers cleon. Yeah I did check his stats but just thought about real life for a second ha ha. Going to start a new save with Swansea, I had been tempted to be them for a while and every time I got offered the job it was usually without Dyer and Sinclair which made me not.. Did play one game in your save which was Villa and I won 5-0 using the shouts!

Finished 3rd in the league, 1 point behind second placed Tottenham (who won UCL twice already on my game :) )

marsh.png

and this is English Player of the year. Quite surprisingly if you look at his attributes.

That's a pretty solid season, especially at the first attempt :)

The player got player of year due to his assist count :cool:

hi evreyone , do anyone know the team instructions and set pieces(where evrey player stand when dany alves or abidal throw in them.

close to player . foward. come short and stuff.

thank you all.

of fc barcelona like in real life to put in fm?

i would like get just that . the rest i do my self.

thank u

That's a pretty solid season, especially at the first attempt :)

The player got player of year due to his assist count :cool:

indeed :):p

i got offered city job so i accepted as i am tired of england but i need the epl title before i leave. :). i am extremely curious how the tactic will work with a team full of stars.

hi evreyone , do anyone know the team instructions and set pieces(where evrey player stand when dany alves or abidal throw in them.

close to player . foward. come short and stuff.

thank you all.

of fc barcelona like in real life to put in fm?

i would like get just that . the rest i do my self.

thank u

You can't do that in FM sadly :)

indeed :):p

i got offered city job so i accepted as i am tired of england but i need the epl title before i leave. :). i am extremely curious how the tactic will work with a team full of stars.

Which formation did you use?

OK , But Team Instrucions There Is for fc barcelona ? play narrow , wide? something you can share mate?

There are plenty of threads about Barcalona's style already on the forum. Have a look in the tactics download centre forum at the top of the forum. There are lots of tactics in there that talk about how Barca play :)

Which formation did you use?

i havent played any matches yet, but i am gonna use 3-1-2-1-3 as i did with previous teams. I am planning to sign 2 osnabruck regens who played on the wing for me and 2 Palace midfielders who were my key players during my Crystal Palace campaign. Money isnt a problem here so i can sign almost any player i want

Guest avine

Yeah, the Swansea experiment and the Si sport center is a remarkable achievement and a usefull guide that says about enough in every part of fm

I dont Need Look on the download tactics of fc barcelona , i ask for the rea life evreyone see them on tv.

and just ask little help about it mate.

Eh?

I told you it's already been discussed elsewhere, you really should do as I instructed if you want to learn about Barca and translate it into FM. Those topics will help you more than I will be willing to do. I don't have the time to help you I'm afraid. There are about 20 threads all discussing Barca already, you really should use those.

A little update on my savegame here. Going really well, but i feel im overperforming a bit. But maybe you need to do that do fight for the title with Swansea? :lol:

Formation wise i have rotated alot, which probably isn't that smart, but i have now settled on a 4-3-2-1. With no defensive midfielders and no attacking midfielders. Only three central and inside forwards. Also using a attacking deep lying foward to help create space for the inside forwards (thanks Cleon! Works a treat)

If we look away from a league cup defeat (honestly, who can care about that cup) we have been undefeated for 21 games. Which is very pleasing. So some of you might now think, whoa you must be cruising on the top... But i'm not. Cause United is also undefeated in well over 20, and their constant great performances week after week is starting to get abit on my nerves! Here i am fighting my arse of each game, studying and analysing and doing my absolute best, just for them to absolutly rape Tottenham and other great teams with ridiculous numbers. (They made cream out of Tottenham with 9-0...)

I'm also got a quite few injuries. Taylor on the left back was out for 2 months forcing me to use Bessone/Tate which REALLY was not helping. Also Dyer, which have been constantly been performing great got a one month injury, forcing me to use Routledge, which just plays absolutly rubbish... Starting to get really hard to keep up with United, as players get tired, and my squad isn't exactly huge and got a let of depth to it, so too many players just need to play every week and it's starting to tear them up abit really. (did you encounter this? or did you buy some depth in January?) (18 january as of now)

On the positive side my free signings are performing really well. Especially Zé Roberto and Amara Diané have performed above what i expected. Also i managed to sign Blacburn's annoying pace abuser. Oh sorry, i meant Junior Hoilett... ;) A player i really got high expectations to. Lets hope he turns out well!

Here is a screen of the table, lets just hope it last... I also got a tiny, tiny hope of beating your 96 points Cleon. But really, not going to happend to be honest! :D

1144653.jpeg

How'd you manage to get Ze Roberto, Diane and Hoilett? I couldn't offer wages high enough for either of the first 2 players as Swansea are over budget at start and can't shave that much off their wage bill due to no-one wanting the players. And how much was Hoilett? wanted £12 mill off me :(

As the season goes on and injuries take it toll it gets harder to keep pace. Just make sure you keep the back up players fit by allwoing them to play for reserves or you'll really struggle come March.

Hmm, i think the reason they came to me was that it maxed the wage i could give. (after setting all my transfer funds over to wages and kicking some players) and on top of that i increased their wage after five matches played in club. Wrecked my economy a bit but was worth it.

The Hoilett case was a bit extreme, he refused to sign a new contract to Blackburn so whole Europe was ready to bid on him. I didn't think i had the muscles to fight for him though, but then suddendly i see PSG offering Blackburn £2 mill... So then i just offered Blackburn the same, and they accepted, and i got him :D Been performing pretty ace the first few matches aswell. Delicious!

...and when I was hoping for a slighty decrease in United's form they do this:

1144688.jpeg

christ...

Hmm, i think the reason they came to me was that it maxed the wage i could give. (after setting all my transfer funds over to wages and kicking some players) and on top of that i increased their wage after five matches played in club. Wrecked my economy a bit but was worth it.

The Hoilett case was a bit extreme, he refused to sign a new contract to Blackburn so whole Europe was ready to bid on him. I didn't think i had the muscles to fight for him though, but then suddendly i see PSG offering Blackburn £2 mill... So then i just offered Blackburn the same, and they accepted, and i got him :D Been performing pretty ace the first few matches aswell. Delicious!

...and when I was hoping for a slighty decrease in United's form they do this:

1144688.jpeg

christ...

Weird as I got rid of a few players, most of the back up ones and still couldn't afford the wages even with maxing every single clause on the game :(

You're playing as Man Utd now?

Hmm, that is really weird! Don't really know what's the difference ist hen to be honest. Maybe it varies a bit from game to game, or they get more demanding when they get offers from bigger clubs? I got them for 350,000 a week.

Nah not United, just wanted to illustrate their ridiculous good forn :p However i did manage to win the league, which was pleasing. Starting second season now. Who did you sign? How did your second season go along? Also did you buy Gylfi back?

My CL group consist of Werder Bremen, Benfica and Real Madrid. Hmm

Just a quick update on my Tenerife save, I've been watching a couple of matches on full the whole way through just so I can adapt a little better to what I see and I'm unbeaten in my last 9 games including beating Real Madrid over two legs in the cup. The downside to the cup run is that I have a stretch of 10 games in 32 days. With a thin squad it is not ideal but into the semi's of the cup and slowly closing down Real Madrid in 2nd in the league with a 9 point gap over 4th. Just hoping I don't pick up any injuries or suspensions to key players but tactically I'm making smarter decisions and the results are showing that :)

Just a quick update on my Tenerife save, I've been watching a couple of matches on full the whole way through just so I can adapt a little better to what I see and I'm unbeaten in my last 9 games including beating Real Madrid over two legs in the cup. The downside to the cup run is that I have a stretch of 10 games in 32 days. With a thin squad it is not ideal but into the semi's of the cup and slowly closing down Real Madrid in 2nd in the league with a 9 point gap over 4th. Just hoping I don't pick up any injuries or suspensions to key players but tactically I'm making smarter decisions and the results are showing that :)

So you feel you're slowly getting the hang of things now? :)

@ Cleon - Regarding shouts, do you change your use of them if playing in rainy/snowy conditions or do you tend to stick with your original ones?

Thanks.

Not really no. I'd change the team instructions to maybe more direct in my passing instead.

If some of my players instructions are set manually,would shouts still make changes to his instructions?
It won't, whatever you tick always overrides the shouts.

Yeah what Coentrao says is true.

So you feel you're slowly getting the hang of things now? :)
I think I am. Gonna be a massive test trying to keep the form going with suspensions and injuries piling up. Lost 6 first team players for a first leg match in the semi's of the cup vs Real Sociedad and got beat 2-0 at home. Didn't help morale and proceeded to draw away from home 2-2 with Celta Vigo. Playing 10 games in a month with a small squad lacking depth (I didn't even fill the 25 man squad) has left a lot of tired legs and hopefully a return to form is near.

I think I am. Gonna be a massive test trying to keep the form going with suspensions and injuries piling up. Lost 6 first team players for a first leg match in the semi's of the cup vs Real Sociedad and got beat 2-0 at home. Didn't help morale and proceeded to draw away from home 2-2 with Celta Vigo. Playing 10 games in a month with a small squad lacking depth (I didn't even fill the 25 man squad) has left a lot of tired legs and hopefully a return to form is near.

Yeah it can be very hard when you're a small squad and have lots of games in a short space towards the end of a season. You never get that weeks break to get players condition back up :(

Yeah it can be very hard when you're a small squad and have lots of games in a short space towards the end of a season. You never get that weeks break to get players condition back up :(
Is there any way I can help sort out condition issues within the team? Rotating is difficult because I have no strength in depth. Is it worth putting a few players on the conditioning training schedule even during mid season? I've had 4 players already come up as needing a rest.

That'll just make them worse. Nothing you can do really about it during the season :( You could rest them all from training for a week tho, that might help.
I have everybody rested for a couple of days before my next game however the next couple of months is a game a week which will help. Got knocked out of the cup with a gutless second leg performance. All the right movement seems to be made, just lacking a clinical touch

I have everybody rested for a couple of days before my next game however the next couple of months is a game a week which will help. Got knocked out of the cup with a gutless second leg performance. All the right movement seems to be made, just lacking a clinical touch

Do you always rest after games? Or only at crucial times? If you do it often then you'll struggle even more so to keep them fit.

I always used to rest players after a match but i read around here that was a bad idea because they would lose more match fitness, i have stopped doing it for a while and it really helps to keep them match fit over the season and of course rotation and using your subs wisely is key to keep a squad fit.

I made a custom view with minutes and minutes per game, it's also good to keep track if your loanees are being used though unfortunately it seems kind of buggy with them.

Though i wonder if i should give everyone a week of rest or holiday on the winter break.. probably helps to avoid jadedness but at the same time they will lose some match fitness and will need some friendlys before the league resumes.

Do you always rest after games? Or only at crucial times? If you do it often then you'll struggle even more so to keep them fit.
It's only when I'll barely be able to put out a team with condition higher than 90%. I might rest the occasional player if he is very tired but usually its a last resort thing

I always used to rest players after a match but i read around here that was a bad idea because they would lose more match fitness, i have stopped doing it for a while and it really helps to keep them match fit over the season and of course rotation and using your subs wisely is key to keep a squad fit.

I made a custom view with minutes and minutes per game, it's also good to keep track if your loanees are being used though unfortunately it seems kind of buggy with them.

Though i wonder if i should give everyone a week of rest or holiday on the winter break.. probably helps to avoid jadedness but at the same time they will lose some match fitness and will need some friendlys before the league resumes.

Quality idea with a custom view to show Minutes and minutes per game, I sometimes struggle to remember how much playing time somebody has had, can imagine it being expecially useful pre season when trying to give all players an even amount of playing time :) going to set that up when I get home

That's pretty much what I do and have my custom views set as :thup:

If you give someone a weeks break if you can afford that luxury they don't return unfit and can normally fit straight back into the first team.

That's pretty much what I do and have my custom views set as :thup:

If you give someone a weeks break if you can afford that luxury they don't return unfit and can normally fit straight back into the first team.

Out of interest Cleon what custom views do you have setup?

What do you guys think is the best match view to analyse the match?

Personally it depends what Im analysing. If its positioning of players I use 2D view, if its how my tactic is actually looking/playing I use director cam :) sometimes from throw ins/corners/FK i switch to 2D again to check how they are positioning themselves

Out of interest Cleon what custom views do you have setup?

There used to be a thread kicking around where me and others went into detail about them. But I can't seem to find it :(

I'll post something up tonight/tomorrow about what I use.

It's shopping day today grrr so limited time :D

What do you guys think is the best match view to analyse the match?

3d as you can see all the details.

I use directors cam and when I replay clips that are of an attacking nature I use reversed touchline angle.

There used to be a thread kicking around where me and others went into detail about them. But I can't seem to find it :(

I'll post something up tonight/tomorrow about what I use.

It's shopping day today grrr so limited time :D

ahhh right cheers :D

Archived