The SI Sports Centre - DISCUSSION THREAD

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just a update on how I'm doing. I'm halfway through the first season with Ajax and I'm dominating. I'm ten points clear of 2nd place, the 3 top scorers are mine, I have 3 players in the top four of assists. In the avarage rating stat the first 8 are all mine. Now I know I have a good team and should be doing well however I set up my team but this is amazing.

Defensively it's still not what I want but it's improving. What basicaly happens is that I keep the opposition to only a couple chanches per game. On a avarage I think it's about 20 chances for us 4 to them. but 2-3 of those chances are ccc's. I'm still toying with the settings of my DM and CD and it's getting better I think.

On a side note, I'm really loving my CMa right now. He's a perfect busbreaker. Whenever an opponent parks the bus his runs from deep usually overloads their defense.

Just a update on how I'm doing. I'm halfway through the first season with Ajax and I'm dominating. I'm ten points clear of 2nd place, the 3 top scorers are mine, I have 3 players in the top four of assists. In the avarage rating stat the first 8 are all mine. Now I know I have a good team and should be doing well however I set up my team but this is amazing.

I could give you a tactic for dowload wich make you lose a lot of games, so this isn't really true. :D

Cleon, do you know what is happening with gamefront?

Should be working now.

Defensively it's still not what I want but it's improving. What basicaly happens is that I keep the opposition to only a couple chanches per game. On a avarage I think it's about 20 chances for us 4 to them. but 2-3 of those chances are ccc's. I'm still toying with the settings of my DM and CD and it's getting better I think.

On a side note, I'm really loving my CMa right now. He's a perfect busbreaker. Whenever an opponent parks the bus his runs from deep usually overloads their defense.

I'm playing around with my DC making him as attacking as he can do. The results have been really good at the minute and it tightend my defence up but it's still early days.

all pkm dl's seams to be working now.....apart from the blackburn one that seams to be missing

filefront is so unreliable :(

They've removed it and said it broke some rules but didn't explain what. Probably the fact I won silverware with Sheff Utd hahaha.

I'll re-add the Blackburn one later today as soon as I get chance :)

After playing with a SFraser inspired 4-2-3-1 i've come to realise the value of specific marking. if the opposition mirrors my system i just do exactly what they do to me...

on most occassions they will keep a central midfielder deep to mark my AMC, I simply assign my AMC to also man mark the player in question and replicate them by asking one of my CM's to man mark their AMC.

Works a treat

You mean you get your amc to man mark their dmc? I did that with Spurs, getting Rafa VdV to man mark the opposition's dmc, who was a ball player. Sometime I try to get my CF to drop deeper and man mark their DLP, if against very tough opposition.

You mean you get your amc to man mark their dmc? I did that with Spurs, getting Rafa VdV to man mark the opposition's dmc, who was a ball player. Sometime I try to get my CF to drop deeper and man mark their DLP, if against very tough opposition.

I just did this on my new West Brom save against Swansea and it worked a treat. Swansea played a 4-5-1/4-1-2-2-1 and I decide to match it and use Odemwingie to man mark Bodde, their holding player. I basically wanted to give lots of time to the Swanea centre backs, not allowing them to play short passes out and forcing them to play long balls to Danny Graham.

My plan worked perfectly, thier 2 centre backs finsihed the game with around 55% pass completion between them and Danny Graham ended the game having won 0/14 headers...

I just did this on my new West Brom save against Swansea and it worked a treat. Swansea played a 4-5-1/4-1-2-2-1 and I decide to match it and use Odemwingie to man mark Bodde, their holding player. I basically wanted to give lots of time to the Swanea centre backs, not allowing them to play short passes out and forcing them to play long balls to Danny Graham.

My plan worked perfectly, thier 2 centre backs finsihed the game with around 55% pass completion between them and Danny Graham ended the game having won 0/14 headers...

When you say you decided to match it, do you mean you copied their formation? Or you just went man for man?

When you say you decided to match it, do you mean you copied their formation? Or you just went man for man?

Copied their formation, as in I also used a 4-5-1/4-1-2-2-1, so that I had all of their players marked (with the exception of their centre backs) and still had a free player at the base of my midfield with which to build my own attacks.

Copied their formation, as in I also used a 4-5-1/4-1-2-2-1, so that I had all of their players marked (with the exception of their centre backs) and still had a free player at the base of my midfield with which to build my own attacks.

Do you do this for every game?

As anyone used the formation playing a Balanced, Standard game but pushing the D-line as far as it goes while pressing as hard as you can? I've definetley noticed a massive improvement in how my team is playing. It's still early days but I think I might be onto something here in terms of more stability. I'll try it a bit more and report back.

As anyone used the formation playing a Balanced, Standard game but pushing the D-line as far as it goes while pressing as hard as you can? I've definetley noticed a massive improvement in how my team is playing. It's still early days but I think I might be onto something here in terms of more stability. I'll try it a bit more and report back.

What formation are you using and is your tactic quite possession based?

I did quite well with something similar in an older save playing 451 so the wingers were pushed right up on the full backs and with a high level of ball retention. When I tried adapting it to fit a flat 442 it didn't work so well because of the gaps in the formation every time a man got turned. Having a DM in there to fill that space seemed key. I also found that if I was playing more direct my players condition deteriorated rapidly as they spent so much time aggressively chasing the ball.

What formation are you using and is your tactic quite possession based?

I did quite well with something similar in an older save playing 451 so the wingers were pushed right up on the full backs and with a high level of ball retention. When I tried adapting it to fit a flat 442 it didn't work so well because of the gaps in the formation every time a man got turned. Having a DM in there to fill that space seemed key. I also found that if I was playing more direct my players condition deteriorated rapidly as they spent so much time aggressively chasing the ball.

The formation I'm using is all explained in the main thread.

Playing direct doesn't make playuers tired btw as that's only a passing style. Playing an high mentality would make them tired but not a specific passing option.

I didn't go all the way, but I definitely notice an improvement in my last game when I pushed the d-line up a bit higher. I got caught once by a run by their striker between the DC and DR, but that was their only chance all game. Granted it was at home against a weaker team (currently 14th).

Yeah sorry I was looking at the top of the other thread where it was mentioning the 442 and 451. Reading down the 3223 certainly looks interesting with the layered dynamic and number of bodies higher up the pitch it looks suited to a high pressing style.

I was thinking that it was the amount of defensive movement needed to press that was causing the tiredness but yeah the mentality makes sense.

Just won 2-0 away at Roma with this setup. Very, very pleased with the performance of my defense. I didn't set the pressing to max, just set closing down to 'Press More' on team instructions.

EDIT: I also used the 'Hassle Opponents' shouts at the start of the match.

As a side note, this formation for me has really highlighted the importance of the DC's mental stats. I have a veteran DC who has been a starter for the first season and a half, but after switching to this formation, his 9 composure rating has really been exposed as a weakness and he has made several decisions that appear to have been panicky and led to goals. I have been much happier with my other young CB's performances, who has a 13 for composure, which still isn't ideal, but you can certainly see a difference. His ratings in all the other defensive ratings are just below the veteran's, but he has been much more solid as the lone CB. The straw that broke the camel's back was when the veteran twice in one game missed/lost a tackle that left a striker one-on-one with my keeper and led to goals. He's got a 16 in marking/tackling and a 15 in decisions, but he just couldn't handle being the last line of defense.

Do you do this for every game?

I'm basically using this save to be a completely reactive manager tactically, Adjusting not just my formation but also how high the team presses, direct/short passing etc... For instance I probably wouldnt have done the same thing against a team with a particularly good passer of the ball at CB and someone who would have been abe to compete in the air against my CB. In that situation I probably would have chosen to press the CB forcing him to play a quick and hence less accurate pass forward.

Before a game I will take a look at how the opponent played in thier last few games to try get an idea of what threat I will face, then during the game I will fine tune the system as it becomes more apparent what is and isn't working. So far I'm having a lot of fun with it, though playing against lower league teams in the cup where I have to be more proactive is proving a little tricky.

I'm basically using this save to be a completely reactive manager tactically, Adjusting not just my formation but also how high the team presses, direct/short passing etc... For instance I probably wouldnt have done the same thing against a team with a particularly good passer of the ball at CB and someone who would have been abe to compete in the air against my CB. In that situation I probably would have chosen to press the CB forcing him to play a quick and hence less accurate pass forward.

Before a game I will take a look at how the opponent played in thier last few games to try get an idea of what threat I will face, then during the game I will fine tune the system as it becomes more apparent what is and isn't working. So far I'm having a lot of fun with it, though playing against lower league teams in the cup where I have to be more proactive is proving a little tricky.

Interesting that you feel the need to change shape to match them. Is there a specific reason you do this rather than adapt a tactic you use every game? Using a different tactics every game (shape) is disruptive to the team.

Interesting that you feel the need to change shape to match them. Is there a specific reason you do this rather than adapt a tactic you use every game? Using a different tactics every game (shape) is disruptive to the team.

Why would that be? If they're proficient in three tactics you couls certainly use three. Even then, I do use even more tactics based on exploiting space when I desperate for a goal. My team certainly isn't playing very well then, but sometimes, when they are trying to 'contain', the opposition doesn't seem te adapt anymore to the changes I make. This makes it effective enough for me, while I do aprreciate it's a matter of managerial preference.

Why would that be? If they're proficient in three tactics you couls certainly use three. Even then, I do use even more tactics based on exploiting space when I desperate for a goal. My team certainly isn't playing very well then, but sometimes, when they are trying to 'contain', the opposition doesn't seem te adapt anymore to the changes I make. This makes it effective enough for me, while I do aprreciate it's a matter of managerial preference.

Well if he's adapting every game he'll be using a lot more than 3 formations during a season. The team will just not settle properly and get used to playing a certain way. Changing things in game is fine but the way you start is the one that has most bearing on how settled the team is. I'm not saying you can't have success this way I'm just saying it's disruptive.

The main reason is ideological tbh, I know it's more than possible to keep the same shape and move the roles around but I just wanted to go one step further if you see what I mean. With this save I wanted to achieve two main things a) see how far being reactionary will get you/how far can a club go without ever having a defined footballing identity and b) learn more about the match engine and how I can exploit it in my other saves.

Im not very far into the season yet but I've had some positive things and am starting to get to grips with anticipating and solving any issues I may have

The main reason is ideological tbh, I know it's more than possible to keep the same shape and move the roles around but I just wanted to go one step further if you see what I mean. With this save I wanted to achieve two main things a) see how far being reactionary will get you/how far can a club go without ever having a defined footballing identity and b) learn more about the match engine and how I can exploit it in my other saves.

Im not very far into the season yet but I've had some positive things and am starting to get to grips with anticipating and solving any issues I may have

It's definetly one way of learning as you'll get to know the shape you play very well and how it plays against the same formation. So bascially you'll be learning the strengths and weaknesses of each formation you use in every single game. Do you make notes of them?

Well if he's adapting every game he'll be using a lot more than 3 formations during a season. The team will just not settle properly and get used to playing a certain way. Changing things in game is fine but the way you start is the one that has most bearing on how settled the team is. I'm not saying you can't have success this way I'm just saying it's disruptive.

Not necesseraly. Certain leagues tend to have only a few types of teams, with a few types of players, wich makes it easier to adapt, but I get your point. :)

I think I've sorted the defence out a lot more and got it looking pretty good now. Would people be interested in seeing how it's evolved in my Santos save where I was also using the 3-1-2-3-1?

I'm playing around with my DC making him as attacking as he can do. The results have been really good at the minute and it tightend my defence up but it's still early days.

So you've tried giving your CB a higher mentality than your DM is that what you're saying? Did you ever have the same issue that I did where the DC and DM would try to close down the same person?

I'm starting to think that the differences between 10 and 12 are more substantial than I originally thought :D

The way I've had my DC and DM set us is like this. My DC has a mentality higher than the DM (by how much has varied....I can't really seem to make up my mind right now on that). The DC and the DM have the same closing down currently. Its just about the middle of the bar.

I like having my DC with a high mentality so I'm thinking I might increase my DM's mentality. My only concern is that I don't want him to get too forward when we have the ball.

So you've tried giving your CB a higher mentality than your DM is that what you're saying? Did you ever have the same issue that I did where the DC and DM would try to close down the same person?

I'm starting to think that the differences between 10 and 12 are more substantial than I originally thought :D

The way I've had my DC and DM set us is like this. My DC has a mentality higher than the DM (by how much has varied....I can't really seem to make up my mind right now on that). The DC and the DM have the same closing down currently. Its just about the middle of the bar.

I like having my DC with a high mentality so I'm thinking I might increase my DM's mentality. My only concern is that I don't want him to get too forward when we have the ball.

Sorry I forgot to add that all my team is attacking as can be so they stay as a unit.

No I don't get that problem because both the DC and DMC don't occupy the same space like they must do on your game. Because your DC had highe rmentality than your DMC but both have the same closing down, you're forcing them into playing morealess the exact same area. That's why they closedown the same player. Plus I tend to use specific man marking for the DMC.

Sorry I forgot to add that all my team is attacking as can be so they stay as a unit.

No I don't get that problem because both the DC and DMC don't occupy the same space like they must do on your game. Because your DC had highe rmentality than your DMC but both have the same closing down, you're forcing them into playing morealess the exact same area. That's why they closedown the same player. Plus I tend to use specific man marking for the DMC.

Oh ok.

Specific man marking has been working a treat for the most part. The only I've had came against wigan. When they changed formation, my marking scheme was messed up completely so I think I'm either gonna stick with just man marking, or I'll have to pay more attention to my opposition's formation :D

Oh ok.

Specific man marking has been working a treat for the most part. The only I've had came against wigan. When they changed formation, my marking scheme was messed up completely so I think I'm either gonna stick with just man marking, or I'll to pay more attention to my opposition's formation :D

I'd do the latter. Either watch games in ful, where you certainly see every change in formation or watch out very closely, using the appropriate widget and the text bar.

It's definetly one way of learning as you'll get to know the shape you play very well and how it plays against the same formation. So bascially you'll be learning the strengths and weaknesses of each formation you use in every single game. Do you make notes of them?

Yes, but only very rough kind of 'hmmm... thats interesting' notes, what I don't want to do is draw up a set of rigid rules for dealing with the AI's tactics, partly because of the amount of variables between two different games on two seperate saves etc, but also because it would kind of defeat the object of what I'm trying to do with this save.

Yes, but only very rough kind of 'hmmm... thats interesting' notes, what I don't want to do is draw up a set of rigid rules for dealing with the AI's tactics, partly because of the amount of variables between two different games on two seperate saves etc, but also because it would kind of defeat the object of what I'm trying to do with this save.

What are you exactly wanting to do with the save? Just to mirror the opponent? I'd have thought the whole point of mirroring them was so you knew how and why it worked when you matched them?

I'm just trying to get an insight into how you're playing. I like asking questions to people who play different, makes a change for me hahaha :)

Hmm quite a few people been PM'ing me asking me to go back and talk about classic mode rather than use the TC all the time. What's the majority of people who use this thread think? I started to use the TC as it was simpler and I thought more people used the TC than classics. While I still think that's true, not many threads are on about classic any more(discussions not tactics).

So what's peoples thoughts?

I 'm opposed to the idea of using the classic mode on at least four accounts:

First of all, there is no real need to use it, you could achieve the same results by fiddling a lot with the sliders when in TC, so there really is no use for the classic mode in my opinion.

Secondly, it makes things harder to understand for those who are not comfortable with the game yet. So it would be counterproductive in terms of ease of acces for those who really need it.

Thirdly, you couldn't adapt your tacitc with as much ease as you could do now, wich makes it more difficult to playtest and more difficult to post screens, as you would need a lot more info then you do now.

The users who are keen on the classic mode are mostly looking for a way of breaking the AI, wich, in my opnion is not the best way to enjoy a game. Though I appreciate the fact that everyone must judge what he wants from a game himself, I wouldn't learn anything from it.

I 'm opposed to the idea of using the classic mode on at least four accounts:

First of all, there is no real need to use it, you could achieve the same results by fiddling a lot with the sliders when in TC, so there really is no use for the classic mode in my opinion.

Secondly, it makes things harder to understand for those who are not comfortable with the game yet. So it would be counterproductive in terms of ease of acces for those who really need it.

Thirdly, you couldn't adapt your tacitc with as much ease as you could do now, wich makes it more difficult to playtest and more difficult to post screens, as you would need a lot more info then you do now.

The users who are keen on the classic mode are mostly looking for a way of breaking the AI, wich, in my opnion is not the best way to enjoy a game. Though I appreciate the fact that everyone must judge what he wants from a game himself, I wouldn't learn anything from it.

They were also the reasons why I changed to TC as it's simpler and easier to achieve. Especially in a game the amount of time I save now by using shouts instead of altering every single player is huge.

I don't participate much on the forums, but occasionally I have a few words to say. Your threads, as I said before, along the years have helped to understand the game a little bit more (not that I get it all, but I get it a more than I did before I started reading your threads). Being an old school player, playing the game since cm 97/98, I never understood the sliders. Could never get any real success from the game. When I got hands on the forum I started downloading other people's tactics and having a little succes, but losing the fun on the way. Since 2010, with the creator it become a lot easier. And combining it with your and others knowledge on the game, made it also fun. Which made me quit the classic mode. Joining this came the proof that the creator is really great and an awesome tool. You switched to the creator tactics, tinkering a lot less with the sliders. When Cleon stops using the sliders and surrenders himself to the creator, you know it's a good creation. So, I don't see a point for you to make a new discussion for classic tactics. If people want to use this knowledge in classic tactis, they just have to apply it to the creator and turn the tactic into the classic mode.

This is just my humble oppinion. I say keep it going the way it is.

Cheers.

They were also the reasons why I changed to TC as it's simpler and easier to achieve. Especially in a game the amount of time I save now by using shouts instead of altering every single player is huge.

That was another thing I wanted to say (but forgot on the way typing my post): realism! I think of it as a bit more realistic that a manger tells his players to play a conservative ore attacking game, telling players to make runs or not,... than it is for a manager to say I wnat you 5 yards ahead of player X, ... It doesn't make sense.

Hmm quite a few people been PM'ing me asking me to go back and talk about classic mode rather than use the TC all the time. What's the majority of people who use this thread think? I started to use the TC as it was simpler and I thought more people used the TC than classics. While I still think that's true, not many threads are on about classic any more(discussions not tactics).

So what's peoples thoughts?

Personally I find the TC discussions far simpler to learn from than I do from the Classic ones. Maybe because I only had 1 year with the Classic method but the TC I find to be a lot simpler, in use and for demonstration purposes

Dropping the closing down of the DC has seemed to do the trick. Thanks for that cleon :thup:

Here are the 2 shapes I've been testing:

dortmundu.png

barcaub.png

I feel confident in either one to use in my main save. I've been looking forward to this :p

First off I would like to thank you for this thread.

For the first time since early CM games I am now trying to create my own tactics and not downloading them and this current one with Arsenal is going very well so far.

Now I am very early in the season ( just about to play my 2nd competitive game ), but played a lot of friendlies and I am very concerned about the familiarity for this formation.

Untitled1.jpg

As you can see everything is or very close to being fluid apart from formation, which has in fact gone down as the friendlies were being played.

Is this something I should be worried about and is there a fix for this?

On the pitch the team is playing superb football so not sure if I should just ignore this or not.

Thanks.

That was another thing I wanted to say (but forgot on the way typing my post): realism! I think of it as a bit more realistic that a manger tells his players to play a conservative ore attacking game, telling players to make runs or not,... than it is for a manager to say I wnat you 5 yards ahead of player X, ... It doesn't make sense.
Personally I find the TC discussions far simpler to learn from than I do from the Classic ones. Maybe because I only had 1 year with the Classic method but the TC I find to be a lot simpler, in use and for demonstration purposes

Judging by peoples reaction in this thread I'd be silly to move away from the approach I take at explaining things. Which is a good as personally for me it would feel like I was taking a step backwards. There was a reason I moved away from the classic approach myself as it simply became the 2nd best way of creating a tactic and takes a lot more effort and time to change things especially in a game. I don't see the point when I can achieve the exact same style and way of playing in a simpler more user friendly way in half the time using the TC.

I'm loving how many people seem to be using a back 3 now the way I set them up. It's really inspiring as before this thread a lot of people shyed away from them and had major problems with them. But now a lot more are been a bit more patient and seeing some good results. :)

Dropping the closing down of the DC has seemed to do the trick. Thanks for that cleon :thup:

Here are the 2 shapes I've been testing:

dortmundu.png

barcaub.png

I feel confident in either one to use in my main save. I've been looking forward to this

I'm glad you seem to have got it sorted :)

I've used something very simliar to the first screenshot in a long term save but instead of a FLC I moved them to AML.

First off I would like to thank you for this thread.

For the first time since early CM games I am now trying to create my own tactics and not downloading them and this current one with Arsenal is going very well so far.

Now I am very early in the season ( just about to play my 2nd competitive game ), but played a lot of friendlies and I am very concerned about the familiarity for this formation.

Untitled1.jpg

As you can see everything is or very close to being fluid apart from formation, which has in fact gone down as the friendlies were being played.

Is this something I should be worried about and is there a fix for this?

On the pitch the team is playing superb football so not sure if I should just ignore this or not.

Thanks.

Aye I'd do what Steve suggest above.

Archived