The Glasgow Rangers thread : Season 03/04

Ter

• Replies 843
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jambo:

I've heard today that Scott Severin has signed pre-contract with Rangers icon_mad.gificon_mad.gificon_mad.gificon_mad.gificon_mad.gificon_mad.gificon_mad.gificon_mad.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not that fussed as we were never going to get money for him anyhow. Also, he's been ok this season, but has been prone to injury for the last few seasons. Should fit in great at Rangers icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ter:

Not a bad wee player Severin... hmmm<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Indeedy. I remember that last minute cracker he got against you lot to draw 2-2 a few years back. Was on the bus outside Tynecastle at the time listening on the radio. Almighty roar from inside icon_biggrin.gif

I thought he was a tad overrated at times (no bitterness whatsoever icon_biggrin.gif). I don't think you'll hear much Hearts fans complaining about his departure. The main problem with Severin is he thinks he's a better player than he actually is. I would've have thought his level would've been one of the higher wage employers of Div 1 (i.e. Sheffield Utd), not the OF.

• SI Staff

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Rivaldo has snubbed the chance of a move to Celtic with his agent, Peter Harrison, saying the Brazilian would prefer to go to Rangers.

He said: "One agent has been trying to entice him to Celtic but he's not interested in Scotland and thinks Rangers are a bigger club anyway.

"I'm optimistic it's going to happen with Bolton, although it's premature to say he has agreed terms there."<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oan yerself Rivaldo icon_biggrin.gif

I read on Belgian teletext that Rangers is thinking of buying striker Emile Mpenza from Standard Liège. Is there any news on that over there? He's probably just on an extensive list of possible transfer targets ...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>NEWS

McCORMACK SET FOR GERS DEBUT

Ross McCormack is on standby to make his debut for Rangers at home to Motherwell at Ibrox on Saturday.

The 17-year-old is in line for a start with injuries to Michael Mols and Ronald de Boer limiting manager Alex McLeish's striking options.

Ibrox U21 coach John Brown said: "Ross deserves a first-team shot. He's scored a lot of goals for us this season and his work rate has been great."

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Only thing i could find about Mpenza

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> RANGERS have turned their attentions to the powerful Belgian international striker Emile Mpenza in their ongoing bid to assemble a team capable of challenging Celtic next season.

Alex McLeish watched the 25-year-old score for his club, Standard Liege, in a 1-1 draw with Anderlecht earlier this month, and was suitably impressed.

Rangers are thought to have contacted Mpenza’s representatives at Sports and Entertainment Management in Belgium to express an interest, although the player will not make a decision on his future until after this weekend’s Belgian league match against Bruges. Both Standard Liege and Bruges are battling for the country’s second Champions League place.

Mpenza, with 14 goals in 43 internationals, has been linked with a move to Ibrox previously. If Rangers do decide to swoop for the pacy forward they would need to pay a transfer fee as Mpenza is contracted to Standard until 2006.

The player has been involved in a dispute with the Belgian football association recently and asked to be excused from last night’s friendly match with Turkey. Mpenza branded the Belgian FA and their referees "corrupt" for refusing him a penalty in a recent league game. He reportedly kicked a hole in a dressing-room door after the match.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

So that makes him rumoured signing target #504

On the topic of centre halfs, Andy Dowie captained the Scotland Under 21s the other night - this is quite a big honour and surely proves he is a leading player in that team - surely he could possibly have some sort of chance at Rangers if he's good enough to captain the Scotland Under 21s.

Delighted for Ross McCormack, hopefully he can do some magic though we'll need to give him time

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by gearóid:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>_ thinks Rangers are a bigger club anyway_ <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

ahahahaha icon_biggrin.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Rivaldo > *

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Rangers manager Alex McLeish today promised fans he was "absolutely" confident of landing a big-name striker in the next few weeks.

After a season in which all three domestic trophies were handed back meekly McLeish knows next season will be a watershed campaign.

The club is heavily in debt but funds have been made available for new blood, with a goalscorer with a proven pedigree a priority.

McLeish, who has been jetting across Europe looking at potential new signings, was bullish enough to claim fans would like what they were soon going to hear.

He said: "Oh yes, absolutely. I know the fans are waiting on a big name and we will do everything we can to bring one in.

"It is important that we have Ibrox full every week and have the following that we have had this season. We do need their support big time.

"We have looked at all positions but are looking at front men specifically."

Arsenal's Francis Jeffers, Belgium international Emile Mpenza and Dado Prso of Monaco have all been linked in recent weeks.

Rangers fans would also love to see a player like Alan Smith of Leeds come to the club but McLeish made it clear his financial position was not strong enough to chase just one target.

He said: "I have narrowed it down but every day a fresh name comes in that has been made available that you didn't think would be made available.

"I have got top targets. I may not be able to get them because they are either too expensive or other clubs have other plans."

McLeish also revealed talks had already been opened with both clubs and players' agents.

He said: "We have been in contact with one or two clubs over players' availability but most of the other stuff has been with representatives, with the clubs' permission of course."

The latter is an indication that there could be more free transfer arrivals of soon-to-be-out-of-contract players, with Jean-Alain Boumsong and Marvin Andrews confirmed arrivals and Wolves midfielder Alex Rae expected to be soon.

It was also suggested Chelsea's England international Joe Cole might come on a year's loan as he had no guarantee of first-team football at the London club, but McLeish insisted that would not happen.

He said: "We were not offered him, certainly not."

But he indicated he would be happy for Rangers to go to the top of the Stamford Bridge mailing list.

He said: "Chelsea have a barrel-load of players who may be available for loan. If money is tight and it helps the finances then of course we would consider taking players on loan."

Rangers have been linked with Dunfermline striker Stevie Crawford and Everton defender David Unsworth.

Both would be available for free but McLeish offered no indications that either were Ibrox-bound.

On Unsworth he said: "We will wait and see who is available and at the back we are reasonably okay at the moment. We have other priorities."

And on Crawford he added: "I know a lot of people would love to play for this club but that applies to players abroad as well that perhaps don't have the Scottish league high on their agenda.

"They know the stature of this club and there is a possibility of playing in the Champions League and that is a big attraction.

"But I'm not making any comment on players that might be interested or not."

Centre-back Frank de Boer indicated yesterday it was "70% likely" he would be leaving the club and joining twin brother Ronald in Qatar.

McLeish added: "I think things will become clear in 10 days time when we will be able to clear up things totally."

Winger Chris Burke was confident of remaining in McLeish's plans after making an impressive breakthrough this season.

He said: "It will be a bit more difficult. Hopefully he doesn't buy a right winger."

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

So Stevie Crawford it is then icon_frown.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Rangers manager Alex McLeish has hinted he would be willing to make a loan move for Chelsea schemer Joe Cole.

The England international has struggled to establish himself at Stamford Bridge since joining from West Ham United last summer.

Cole has repeatedly been linked with a temporary spell away from The Blues in a bid to play first team football on a regular basis.

Gers chief McLeish would be tempted by the prospect of taking Cole to Ibrox but insists no previous attempts to arrange a deal have been made.

"We were not offered him, certainly not," affirmed McLeish.

"Chelsea have a barrel-load of players who may be available for loan.

"If money is tight and it helps the finances then of course we would consider taking players on loan."

With further regard to possible summer recruits, McLeish refused to expand on reports linking the club with bids for Everton's David Unsworth and Dunfermline Athletic's Stevie Crawford.

Both players are out of contract at the end of the season but McLeish was non-committal on the identity of potential transfer targets.

He added: "We will wait and see who is available and at the back, we are reasonably okay at the moment. We have other priorities.

"I know a lot of people would love to play for this club but that applies to players abroad as well that perhaps don't have the Scottish league high on their agenda.

"But I'm not making any comment on players that might be interested or not."

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Pie in the sky stuff again, we've mroe chance of loaning Andriy Schevchenko

Apparently all the loan talk about Chelsea comes from an "alleged" conversation between a Scottish journalist and Eddie Jordan, of motor racing fame, on a flight two or three weeks ago, where Jordan suggested that Celtic, of whom he is a shareholder, would not bother buying a new striker but would sign Hernan Crespo on loan for a season similar to the Morientes deal for Monaco.

Pile of sh!te! and we all know it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Vidmar:

Stevie Crawford > Nacho Novo<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

hahah

i like novo. but i just don't think he'd di well at celtic. he's one of those players that is great for smaller teams but never quite fits in at a bigger one

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ibroxclubworshipper:

According to this morning's Daily Record, Rangers are lining up a loan move for Inter's OBAFEMI MARTINS. icon_rolleyes.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

10/10 for inventivness to the daily ranger though..

in fact, they should have some sort of prize by now icon_biggrin.gif

• SI Staff

Today's Team

1 Stefan Klos

2 Fernando Ricksen

5 Frank de Boer

16 Paolo Vanoli

15 Zura Khizanishvili

32 Alan Hutton

37 Hamed Namouchi

23 Mikel Arteta

30 Chris Burke