Pharaohs? Great, I’ve always wanted to go to Egypt! Eh,... what other Pharaohs??

Scribe

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, he looks great. And thanks!

lmgbz.gif

Faroe Watch 2018/19

[*] National team World Ranking: 170th - Up 15 places

[*] UEFA coefficient: 2.500, 48th place – Up 2 places

[*] UEFA qualification places: 1 Champions League, 3 Europa League, no change (but Champions back into Q1 instead of Q2)

[*] League Rankings: Vodafonedeildin 241st Up 79 places (1 star – Up half a star)

[*] Biggest club: HB (1 star) - No change

[*] Hoyvik reputation: 0.5 star - No change

[*] Hoyvik European ranking: 390h – Down 6 places

[*] Hoyvik club value: £450k – Up £25k

[*] Hoyvik title odds: Evens Shortened from 7/4

A good season for the league as the reputation goes up from half a star to a full star.

0hQia.png

FC Hoyvik

Pre-Season 2018/19

Champions League

In my rush to read my news item at the end of last season I failed to notice that it would be 2019/20 season when the Faroese champions would need to play in the first qualifying round of the Champions League. Since we are just starting season 2018/19, it means that we bypassed the other diddies and went straight into the draw for Q2 this year.

The draw pit us against Slovenian champions Maribor who I imagined would be a step up yet again after we lost to Skonto last season. Despite that, I think we have improved as well so was interested to see if we could give them a good game. We were drawn at home in the first leg and our fans were certainly interested in seeing how we would fare.

What followed was simply amazing. Within 2 minutes we were a goal down and at that point I must admit I was thinking damage limitation, but then the impossible happened; we scored. Then we scored again, and again, and again. And again! It ended 5-1 in what is surely our best result ever, in front of our record attendance. That even broke our gate receipt record as we brought in a massive, ahem £22k.

I’d be lying if I said we didn’t ride our luck a bit in that match, but I was fairly sure that we wouldn't capitulate in the second leg. Thankfull,y we only lost by four goals to two and that was enough to send us through 7-5 on aggregate. It was a great achievement and shows that we are making real progress.

The next round drew us against Danish giants FC Kobenhavn. Surely this would be a step too far for us. They had reached the Europa League group stage last season and the Champions League groups the season before that. That said, I was confident we could cause an upset.

Seems I was living in cloud-cuckoo land. A heavy 3-0 defeat at home (in front of another record attendance) was followed by a 7-2 humiliation over in Denmark. Not exactly what I’d hoped for.

It’s obvious that our steps forward are going to be very small, slow and steady. We can’t expect to suddenly beat well established European teams, but we need to keep putting ourselves up against them so we can learn from these matches and, more importantly, gain the income we need to build up our own club.

So that concludes our Champions League campaign for this season, BUT not our European campaign. We now fall into the Europa League Fourth Qualifying round where we will face Dinamo Moscow. I’m not expecting much from that one to be honest. The tie is after the season starts, so I’ll update you on how it goes in the next post.

Pre-Season Results

Just the three pre-season friendlies this year and they were all played by backup players because the main first team guys were busy playing in our Euro campaign. Results were mixed. My assistant had somehow persuaded French side Nantes to travel to the Faroes to play us (a sign of our slowly growing reputation?) and we put up a decent showing to only lose 4-3. Otherwise we played a couple of domestic sides as usual.

Board Expectations

Vodafonedeildin: Qualify for Europe

Løgmanssteypið (the cup): Reach the quarter final

Faroese Super Cup: Learn from the experience

UEFA Champions League: Learn from the experience

UEFA Europa League: Learn from the experience

The board expectations have increased again this season. I wish they’d place less importance on the cup because tomorrow’s tricky first round tie comes just days before our first game against Moscow.

My Expectations

Vodafonedeildin: Win it

Løgmanssteypið (the cup): Not bothered

Faroese Super Cup: Not bothered

I just want to win the league.

Finances

Currently looking pretty good, but I know from experience that we will be back in the red by the end of the season. That hasn’t stopped me having another go at getting our training facilities improved again.

As for season ticket sales, a highly surprising figure of 28 were sold.

Squad and Key Players

I think our squad is just about the right size now, but it is lacking in balance. We have too many players in some positions (e.g. centrebacks) and not enough in some others (e.g. fullback). Furthermore, the difference between our best players and worst players is starting to grow.

We are really struggling to find a decent goalkeeper. Karl Poulsen (YP59) is our best bet after the departure of Askham leaves us with only YP players in the squad.

I don’t want to spend too long going into detail about our key players, because I post them in the end of season round-up and not much changes between then and now!

Achievements Completed

• Entire squad made up of YP players Achieved 2018/19

Thanks guys. Yes we're making progress, but I wish the big teams would take pity on us a little instead of smashing 7 goals past us!

0hQia.png

FC Hoyvik

Mid-Season 2018/19

Before I get onto the mundane of the league, we had another European tie to play. We faced Dinamo Moscow in the Europa League 4th Qualifying Round. The results against Kobenhavn had dented my confidence a little and I didn’t expect much going into the matches against the Russians.

We were soundly thrashed in the first leg, before we retained a little pride in front of another record crowd in the second leg.

With Europe out of the way for another season, it allowed us to focus our attentions back on the league.

Results - League Table League Graph

I’m happy to say that Europe hasn’t been a distraction this season and our ever-improving squad are in a comfortable position at the top of the table. We’ve scored the most goals and conceded the least in the league and that is usually a good recipe for success.

We’ve also managed to meet the boards minimum requirement of a quarter final place in the cup, and we retained the Super Cup against NSI. All-in-all, very satisfying.

Our talisman has definitely been Bjarki Djuhuus (YP97), who has been putting in performances the likes of which have never been seen before at a club like ours. I hope we can hold onto him for a long, long time.

Great stuff mate :-) NSI must be sick of the sight of you!

I can't believe Djuhuus hasn't been capped at senior level!

Cheers. I don't think it will be long before that happens...

I have a quick question for everybody; now that I have a squad fully made up of players from my youth system, do you think I should still give each player a YP number after their name, or is it no longer necessary?

I have a quick question for everybody; now that I have a squad fully made up of players from my youth system, do you think I should still give each player a YP number after their name, or is it no longer necessary?

It's entirely up to you now, if you're not going to sign anyone then the YP isn't needed.

I would keep it simply because you can track your YP's. When you sell some, they will pop up in opposition sides in Europe etc. Also, good to know how many you have produced.

I've decided to keep numbering them, but will start to release the poorer ones immediately. Thanks for your input guys.

0hQia.png

FC Hoyvik

Youth Candidate Day 2018/19

First of all, the world’s quickest league update. We’ve pretty much got it won. Hurrah!

As for the youths:

0K5j5.jpg

It’s a fairly disappointing intake this season, but we can’t have a great one ever year I guess. The best player this year is Eydun Bech (YP113). He probably isn’t good enough to get in the team though. You can guess what that means about the lesser players from the intake – they aren’t great.

Having said that, our lack of quality at right back and in goals means that Frits Kristiansen (YP120) and Johannes Lakjuni (YP116) might get a few games until someone better appears.

For the first time we released some of the intake immediately as seven of them were shown the door without even getting a YP number.

Finally, the reputation of our youth system improved some more a three of our players lined up for the Faroes in their recent friendly against Macedonia. Tordur Dam (YP81) picked up his 5th cap and there were debuts for Hallur Petersen (YP82) and, you guessed it, Bjarki Djuhuus (YP97). It’s a shame they were beaten 3-0, but it’s more progress for our club.

In other news, we managed to get ourselves a parent club. I asked the board for one purely for the extra income and Viking they send us any I won’t play them.

0hQia.png

FC Hoyvik

Post-Season 2018/19

League Results - League Table League Graph Cup Results

Another very satisfying season ends with the treble of League, Cup and Super Cup for the second season in a row. I think it is safe to say that we are now the team to beat domestically. We ended up going unbeaten for the entire league season and that is quite an achievement. I’ve been in charge just short of eight years now, so from second tier rubbish to “invincibles” in that time frame is pretty good in my eyes.

Europe is a different story and this season’s results showed just how far we still have to go to be able to even compete at the highest level. We are progressing though and that is the main thing. It is slow going, and once again the chairman cancelled the upgrade of our training ground. It was due to cost £95k and we ended the season with just £60k in the bank, so it’s frustrating but we are getting there financially.

We’ll be forced to play in qualifying round 1 of the Champions League again next season (I think!), but hopefully we can get through that and then the next round (i.e. a repeat of this season’s success). If we can I’m sure we’ll be able to afford the training ground improvements this time next year.

Board Expectations

Vodafonedeildin: Qualify for Europe Surpassed

Løgmanssteypið (the cup): Reach the quarter final Surpassed

Faroese Super Cup: Learn from the experience Surpassed

UEFA Champions League: Learn from the experience Achieved

UEFA Europa League: Learn from the experience Achieved

My Expectations

Vodafonedeildin: Win it Achieved

Løgmanssteypið (the cup): Not bothered Achieved

Faroese Super Cup: Not bothered Achieved

Key Players

Top Scorer: Bjarki Djuhuus (YP97) – this guy is a machine and we are so lucky to have him.12 goals.

Most Assists: Bjarki Djuhuus (YP97) – 22 assists!

Manager’s Player of the Year: Bjarki Djuhuus (YP97) – 6 motm!

Fan’s Player of the Year: Bjarki Djuhuus (YP97) – Awesome player.

Let’s face it; these awards are a bit one-sided. Believe it or not, we aren’t a one man team. So here are a few other important players we have:

Unfortunately, it’s not all success and some players just don’t quite manage to make the grade. For instance, goalkeeper Karl Poulsen (YP59) blew his chances this season and will leave when his contract runs out this month. Another man on his last chance is a star in decline, Jakup Martin Poulsen (YP52 , who continues to underachieve. He has just one season left to show me he is worth keeping.

Next Season

More of the same is needed really. Another title is the minimum requirement, and we really need at least one win in Europe to secure funding for the badly needed investment in our training ground. The one annoying thing in the background is the continuing attempts of the chairman to sell the club; talks keep on breaking down, but I wish it would just get over and done with.

That's it; domestically we should go from strength-to-strength now. Europe is, and always was going to be, the biggest challenge here.

lmgbz.gif

Faroe Watch 2019/20

[*] National team World Ranking: 196th - Down 26 places

[*] UEFA coefficient: 2.125, 48th place – no change

[*] UEFA qualification places: 1 Champions League, 3 Europa League, no change (but Champions back into Q1 instead of Q2)

[*] League Rankings: Vodafonedeildin 204th Up 37 places (1 star – no change)

[*] Biggest club: HB (1 star) - No change

[*] Hoyvik reputation: 0.5 star - No change

[*] Hoyvik European ranking: 430h – Down 40 places

[*] Hoyvik club value: £500k – Up £50k

[*] Hoyvik title odds: 4/5 Shortened from evens

Thanks, I'm glad you're enjoying it :)

0hQia.png

FC Hoyvik

Pre-Season 2019/20

Champions League

Confusion reigns every year over whether we enter the Champions League at the first or second qualifying round. All the information we had pointed towards a first qualifying round match this season, but for whatever reason we ended up being entered into the second qualifying round.

The draw paired us up with Slovakian team MSK Vilina. They looked much the same standard as Maribor, or possible slightly worse, so I was fairly confident that we would be able to beat them over two legs. That certainly looked likely when we put three goals past them without reply in the first leg. Having said that, the match statistics belied another story as they dominated possession and shots on goal. However, I was sure we’d be able to do enough in the second leg to progress, and that proved to be correct as we held them to a draw despite being outplayed again.

As expected, qualify round 3 gave us a much sterner test; this time against Sparta Prague. I didn’t expect an awful lot (expect another heavy beating), so I was very pleasantly surprised when we came away from their ground with a narrow defeat. The away goal gave us a great chance in the second leg if we could just sneak a 1-0 victory. Alas, it was to no avail, as once again we were outplayed and this time they showed no mercy.

So now we are given a second chance by going into the 4th Qualifying round of the Europa League. This season we will play Turkish giants Besiktas. For the first time in our history, we will be live on TV. It’s another small milestone for the club and, whilst the extra revenue is small, every little helps.

Pre-Season Results

We only had a couple of pre-season friendlies this year, and the reserves managed to remain unbeaten.

Board Expectations

Vodafonedeildin: Qualify for Europe

Løgmanssteypið (the cup): Reach the semi final

Once more the board want us to do better in the domestic cup. It’s a trophy I put very little weight on, so we obviously have slightly different ambitions. Somewhat bizarrely, we will play a team of trialists in the first round of the competition and no one fancies us to win!

My Expectations

UEFA Champions League: Reach Q3

As always, the league is my main aim. I wanted the money from reaching Q3 in the Champions League so I am pleased that we managed to achieve that.

Finances

Starting to look very healthy now. Surely we can invest some money in our facilities this season without it being cancelled. The board have agreed (as they usually do), so hopefully it won’t be cancelled this time. They’ve also agreed to spend some more on coaching of our juniors.

Season tickets sales I hear you ask? *drumroll* 28! Bah.

Squad

I think my post-season round-up more than covered our key players. In more general terms, our goalkeeper is mediocre, as is our rightback. The rest of the defence is very good. The midfield is quite strong too, but we could do with a new striker. So, three or four new players and I think we’d have a much better chance in Europe. Here’s hoping youth candidate day is good to us this year.

0hQia.png

FC Hoyvik

Mid-Season 2019/20

I thought our Europa League 4th Qualifying round matches against Besiktas were going to be tough, but I hadn’t realised quite how difficult they would be. A quick look at their squad unveiled players like this guy; the type of player I can only dream about having.

We put up a reasonable showing in the first leg, but it was never going to be enough to even give us a chance of progressing. Unfortunately, the second leg was equally one-sided. Better luck next year I guess.

We are well and truly in the position of being too good for our domestic league and not good enough for Europe. I think that is reflected well in our results this season. I mean, we’ve only conceded one goal in the league so far this season; that is ridiculous. I expect someone will take a at least point a point off us before the end of the season, but I fully expect us to be champions for the third year running and the fourth time in my tenure.

In other news, we have completed another of the achievements I set myself at the beginning of this journey. It was achieved when we had five players called up to the same national squad in September. To be honest I hadn’t been paying to much attention to the full squad, so I was a bit surprised to see that the manager hadn’t been picking a full compliment of players. I guess that means that most of my squad are terrible if they’d rather have fake players in there! In any case, it did them no good. All five of my players started the match as they were trounced by Montenegro.

Strangely, the fifth of our players to gain international honours was Tummas Jacobsen (YP103). I say strangely because I don’t particularly rate him and he spends more time on our bench than on the pitch.

Achievements Completed

• Have five players called up to the national team squad Achieved 2019/20

0hQia.png

FC Hoyvik

Youth Candidate Day 2019/20

With the league as good as won, I have been looking forward to youth intake day. As I said at the start of the season, I felt that we needed a better GK, DR and FC. Would we get any of these? Read on to find out:

cWnW7.jpg

The best of the new players is an OMC Eydun Lakjuni (YP122), who looks terrific and is a similar player to our current star man Bjarki Djuhuus (YP97). If he can make the same impact as Djuhuus then I’ll be delighted.

Next best player is probably Eydun Rasmussen (YP123), who thankfully plays in our weak DR position. Having said that, I’m not entirely convinced he is any better than current incumbent Frits Kristiansen (YP120).

Otherwise there isn’t an awful lot of talent on display. Some are worth keeping and will had some depth to the squad, but I don’t think they will make a huge impact. We will just have to wait another year until we can get the GK and FC that I think is critical to our plans for success in Europe.

There’s been a bit of a worrying development this week as for the first time a club from abroad became interested in one of our players. Charleroi of Belgium are after Tordur Dam (YP81). I’ve stuck a £2.5m pricetag on his head, so hopefully that will ward them off.

Thanks!

0hQia.png

FC Hoyvik

Post-Season 2019/20

A treble treble! We continued our domestic dominance this season with the trio of league, cup and super cup success for the third year running. We were pretty close to a 100% record in the league, with just two points dropped all season (against second place HB). We only conceded four goals in our 18 league games and simply outclassed everyone else.

With the domestic scene tied up, our real challenge is now in Europe. We showed that we are good enough to reach the third qualifying round of the Champions League, but no where near being good enough to even compete with the teams at that level. There is still an awful lot of work ahead.

Board Expectations

Vodafonedeildin: Qualify for Europe Surpassed

Løgmanssteypið (the cup): Reach the semi final Surpassed

My Expectations

UEFA Champions League: Reach Q3 Achieved

Key Players

Top Scorer: Hallur Petersen (YP82) – A bit of a strange one this; his finishing is terrible, but he still managed 15 goals from midfield. It seems that his pace and aggression cause teams all sorts of problems with his runs from deep positions.

Most Assists: Bjarki Djuhuus (YP97) – Djuhuus didn’t quite reach last season’s fantastic levels, but he was still impressive. An unfortunate injury near the end of the season could see him miss out on our European campaign for next season. If so, that would be a massive loss for the team.

Manager’s Player of the Year: Hallur Petersen (YP82) – I think he deserves it for his goal and assist haul alone.

Fan’s Player of the Year: Hallur Petersen (YP82)

We have a number of key players outwith those recognised above, but most of them have been highlighted before, so here are a few that I don’t think I’ve mentioned much previously that deserve a bit of praise this year:

• Roi Jacobsen (YP110) – Roi has made a good fist at becoming our number one striker. He’s not the quickest, but has managed to get in amongst the goals this year.
  • Johannes Lakjuni (YP116) – I’ve moaned quite a bit about our lack of a decent goalkeeper, but Lakjuni has had a reasonable enough season to stop me from worrying domestically at least. European football is probably going to prove too much for him though.
  • Kaj Hentze (YP98) – Kaj is our unchallenged leftback and if I was to pick out one of our uncapped players for the national team, it would be him.

Next Season

I’m very relaxed about our domestic fixtures now. Baring a disaster, we should be capable of winning the title every year. For some time much of my focus has been ensuring that we have Champions League football each season, but next year will probably be the first time that I’m confident enough that we will achieve that fairly easily. Hopefully that means that we can now join the road leading to making an impact in the competition.

Next season is likely to be too soon to progress beyond Q3 (unless we get a favourable draw for once), but now that we have finally begun building up our training ground I really feel that we have the opportunity to ramp up our speed of progress.

I think the biggest problem we have to avoid is any complacency; both in the league and in the early stages (Q1 and Q2) of the Champions League.

lmgbz.gif

Faroe Watch 2020/21

[*] National team World Ranking: 170th - Up 26 places

[*] UEFA coefficient: 48th place – no change

[*] UEFA qualification places: 1 Champions League, 3 Europa League - no change

[*] League Rankings: Vodafonedeildin 218th - Down 14 places (1 star – no change)

[*] Biggest club: HB (1 star) - no change

[*] Hoyvik reputation: 0.5 star - no change

[*] Hoyvik European ranking: 434th – Down 4 places

[*] Hoyvik club value: £600k – Up £100k

[*] Hoyvik title odds: 4/6 - Shortened from 4/5

0hQia.png

FC Hoyvik

Pre-Season 2020/21

Champions League

We found ourselves back in qualifying round 1 for no discernable reason this season. That meant a tie against San Marino minnows Tre Penne and one that I expected to win fairly easily.

The first leg met my expectations as we thrashed them 4-0, gaining 70% of the possession and even missing a penalty along the way. We went one better in the second leg to progress 9-0 on aggregate. Hopefully that will be the last time we find ourselves in Q1 and from now on we can start out in the next round.

So far we’ve managed to do pretty well in Q2 and this year gave us the chance to progress again as, for once, the draw was pretty kind to us. We would travel to Slovenia to meet NK Domzale who looked relatively poor on paper. Having said that, the first leg was a pretty tight affair and they may even have deserved more than the 1-1 draw they got. Thankfully we pulled our act together for the second leg and we looked very dominant as we progressed 6-1 on aggregate.

The draw for Q3 unfortunately wasn’t so kind because this time our name came out alongside Belgian champions Anderlecht. If we could get anything out of this, it would easily be our best result to date, so I was immensely proud of the team when we managed a creditable 1-1 draw at home. I was even slightly disappointed for them to equalise with 15 minutes remaining when we looked like we might even sneak a 1-0 victory. It is the first time that we have been able compete with a team of that calibre and it gave us the slimmest of chances in the second leg.

It looked very much like we were dead and buried within the first ten minutes of that though when they hit two early goals. However, we didn’t crumble and managed to get a goal back. One more and we would be through on away goals.

But then disaster happened; late in the first half Frits Lakjuni (YP88) was ordered off for denying a clear goalscoring opportunity and that completely dashed our hopes. The heads went down and Anderlecht got two second half goals to seal their victory.

The result puts us into the Europa League 4th Qualifying Round again where this year our opponents will be Dutch side Heerenveen. I’d rate them roughly around the same level as Anderlecht so, with a lot of luck, we can hopefully make a positive impact.

Pre-Season Results

Again, with our European matches acting as our pre-season, we only had a couple of friendly matches. This year, both were against foreign sides and both ended in defeat. I’m not at all bothered as only our backup players featured.

Board Expectations

The board have finally come around to my way of thinking; the cup matters not a jot and the league is where we need to focus. It’s nice of them to finally catch-on!

My Expectations

UEFA Europa League: Put in a fighting performance

Virtually the same as last year, except that this time around I want to give Heerenveen a good game in the Europa League.

Finances

We’ve maintained a healthy bank account over the course of the last two seasons. It goes without saying that it is a great boost to our development and this allows us to invest in our infrastructure. To have excellent junior coaching is hopefully going to help us make another step-up in quality.

Season tickets sales were 28 for the 9th season in a row.

Squad

The squad is still somewhat unbalanced. We’ve picked up a couple of injuries recently and it has really highlighted our lack of depth. We don’t have much, if any, cover for goalkeeper, both fullbacks, attacking midfield or striker whereas we have a plethora of central defenders and defensive midfielders.

Overall, we should have plenty in reserve for winning the league but we are at least one quality centre forward away from making a real impact in Europe. Indeed, our options up front reduced a little when Jakup Martin Poulsen (YP52) left the club last month. He remains our club record goalscorer, but his dwindling return saw him become a bit-part player last season. He wasn’t too happy at that obviously and chose to try his luck elsewhere.

0hQia.png

FC Hoyvik

Mid-Season 2020/21

It may have been misplaced optimism, but our performances against Anderlecht in the Champions League qualifiers gave me a glimmer of hope that we could really cause a shock against Hereenveen. Of course we were rank outsiders, but I was certain that if we could stay within touching distance after the first leg away from home then we could think about grabbing a narrow victory back on our home turf.

At halftime in the first leg, my optimism did seem misplaced. We were 2-0 down and looking like going further behind, but we regrouped and came out fighting for the second half. Almost immediately, we halved the deficit and then before long we were all square. I was certain that if we could keep it at 2-2 we would be able to hold on at home, but, with just nine minutes remaining, the Dutch struck a third to steal away our chances of a famous draw.

Still, a 3-2 defeat away from home in Europe is hardly a disaster and I was still hopeful that we could fight for victory and with it, a place in the Europa League group stages. Unfortunately, it just wasn’t to be this season. We fought hard and even had more possession, but we just lacked the quality required. A 2-0 defeat was disappointing, but overall we continue to show signs of improvement and that is all I can ask for.

We continue to dominate domestically and are averaging four goals a game. Even teams like NSI who used to give us a good game are brushed aside. There really isn’t any challenge there at all now, yet I’m not particularly highly thought of as a manger – the Faroes international team manager post came up, but I was laughed out of town for even applying for it. They chose to appoint the under 19’s manager instead, so I applied for that post too, but failed to get it either.

One last piece of news to leave you with: Anfinn Jacobsen (YP92) has just become our sixth YP player to be recognised for full international honours.

Yeah, not half. Thankfully I'm seeing signs of a slow improvement in Europe. I'd expect us to make the step up to the group stages (probably of the Europa League) possibly within the next three or maybe five seasons.

0hQia.png

FC Hoyvik

Youth Candidate Day 2020/21

In the league we are champions already. Results like this and this have certainly helped. We also had another couple of players in the Faroese national team. Our goalkeeper Johannes Lakjuni (YP116), who has come on leaps and bounds, was joined by midfielder Eydun Bech (YP113).

Just prior to youth intake day, I managed to persuade the board to invest even more money into our junior coaching., so I was really quite excited to see what this year would bring.

vvgRc.jpg

I guess strikers are like buses; you wait ages for one and then two come along at once. Petur Jacobsen (YP133) and Roi Hansen (YP134) are our highest rated players. Jacobsen looks much the stronger to me. He’s not the usual type of striker I’d look for because he’s more of a targetman than a poacher, so I will need to consider whether we should change our style of play to accommodate him or whether I should try to squeeze him into our system.

Elsewhere, Arnbjorn Nielsen (YP135) is the most impressive other player from this year's intake and he will fight for a place in our already busy midfield department.

0hQia.png

FC Hoyvik

Post-Season 2020/21

The domestic scene is too easy for us now and I can’t see it getting more difficult any time soon. After winning 18 out of 18 in the league and averaging almost 4.5 goals per game, we really have nothing left to prove at this level. We only showed signs of slowing down when I blooded some of the new youngsters towards the end of the season.

The coach of the Faroe Islands is slowly realising where the talent lies and his latest squad included a massive 12 of our players.

Board Expectations

My Expectations

UEFA Champions League: Reach Q3 Achieved

UEFA Europa League: Put in a fighting performance Achieved

Key Players

Top Scorer: Eydun Lakjuni (YP122) – like his fellow attacking midfielder Bjarki Djuhuus (YP97) did two years ago, Lakjuni dominates the awards this season. He has simply been the creative, goalscoring, driving force behind our success.

Most Assists: Eydun Lakjuni (YP122)

Manager’s Player of the Year: Eydun Lakjuni (YP122)

Fan’s Player of the Year: Eydun Lakjuni (YP122)

We have had a number of other players at the tops of their games this season.

• Jon Kjaerbaek (YP132) – it has been an amazing season for the forward. He never really came into my thoughts until injuries to other players forced him onto the teamsheet, but his record has really amazed me for a player of such obviously limited talent. He has really been helped by the quality just behind him on the pitch.
  • Bjarki Djuhuus (YP97) – Djuhuus embodies the quality that has helped get the most out of Kjaerbaek. Whilst he hasn’t laid on as many goals this season, he has added more goals to his game.
  • Hallur Petersen (YP82) – Petersen is the third player in our attacking midfield trio. Whilst he isn’t as technically (or indeed mentally) strong as Djuhuus or Lakjuni, he weighs in with his share of goals and assists.
  • Frits Lakjuni (YP88) – Another of the Lakjuni family, but this one is more about defending than attacking. We only conceded 5 goals in the league this year and a lot of that is down to this guy.

Next Season

I’d be very surprised if we didn’t win the league, so the focus will be on Europe again. I’m becoming something of a broken record in saying that, but it is true. With another season behind us I think we have improved and hopefully that will show when we kick off our qualifying campaign in July.

lmgbz.gif

Faroe Watch 2021/22

[*] National team World Ranking: 176th - Down 6 places

[*] UEFA coefficient: 46th place – Up 2 places

[*] UEFA qualification places: 1 Champions League, 3 Europa League - no change

[*] League Rankings: Vodafonedeildin 242th - Down 24 places (1 star – no change)

[*] Biggest club: HB (1 star) - no change

[*] Hoyvik reputation: 1 star - Up half a star

[*] Hoyvik European ranking: 412th – Up 22 places

[*] Hoyvik club value: £700k – Up £100k

[*] Hoyvik title odds: 4/6 – no change

Achievements Completed

• Club reputation 1 star Achieved 2021/22

Woo hoo! Our reputation is up half a star this season, so we can’t be far away from becoming the biggest club in the country :)

Looks too easy now on the domestic front now it's just going to take some time and some lucky draws to progress in Europe.

How much is your youth setup costing per month? Congratulations on getting the junior coaching to exceptional.

It's a fairly hefty £35k per month. As you can see from this screenshot, the increase has been pretty steep over the past season or so.

Thanks for reading and inputting into the thread guys, it's appreciated

0hQia.png

FC Hoyvik

Pre-Season 2021/22

Champions League

Thankfully we went straight into the second qualifying round for the Champions league this season. We are becoming quite adept at progressing past that point and we soon dispatched Irish side Bohemians with a couple of impressive victories; firstly a well deserved 3-1 win away from home that was then followed by a more even match as we recorded a 2-1 win at the Gundadular.

Fans of variety will not be pleased to hear that we drew Anderlecht again in the third qualifying round; they were the team that put us out of the competition at this stage last year.

We travelled to Belgium for the first leg where we more than held our own to record a brilliant 1-1 draw. That left us within touching distance of the fourth round (the Champions playoff). Even the losing teams that get to that round are guaranteed a place in the group stage of the Europa League with the winner sealing the ultimate prize; a place in the Champions League group stage.

The second leg was simply amazing and is probably best described by the highlights themselves…

[video=youtube;GRq6aRrQWwU]

Also available in 720p

To lead twice and still lose was pretty soul-destroying, but the positives hugely outweigh the negatives. We are so close to getting through this stage. Next year, surely!

Our efforts were rewarded with a really tough Europa League tie against Wolfsburg, which, as always, I will update you on in the next post.

Board Expectations

Faroese Super Cup: Win it

Much the same as last season from the board except that they expect us to win the Super Cup this time around.

My Expectations

UEFA Europa League: Put in a fighting performance

And much the same from me as well.

Finances

Our finances are still quite steady. The increased sums of money we spend on junior coaching are having quite a big impact though. We really could do with going one better in Europe at some stage soon.

Especially since season ticket sales remain steady at 28, again!

Squad

Still a bit big, still a bit unbalanced, but slowly getting there! Last youth intake day brought us the better strikers we needed, so there are now really only one or two positions that need strengthened. I think our performances in the Champions League qualifier against Anderlecht prove that.

Hopefully we can if we get a favorable draw. Although anyone except Anderlecht would do me just now!

0hQia.png

FC Hoyvik

Mid-Season 2021/22

I had pretty much zero confidence going into our Europa League qualifier against Wolfsburg. Despite our excellent showing against Anderlecht I knew this was going to be an entirely different prospect. German sides are notoriously strong and my aim was simply to avoid humiliation; if we could keep them to single figures over the two legs then that could be viewed as reasonable result from our point of view.

In the end, my fears we realised. We were outclassed in both matches, but thankfully we did keep the scoreline fairly respectable in both legs. A 3-0 defeat at their ground was followed by a repeat of that score at our own ground.

Those defeats drew our European adventure to a close for another year and now we have the slog of the league to contend with until we get another chance.

It has been a similar story this year to last, although we did lose our 100% record in the Super Cup. That particular match came right on the back of the Wolfsburg ties and the normal team was exhausted; the red card didn’t help either. Otherwise it has been pretty much plain sailing.

A couple of slightly newsworthy items; firstly the Faroes manager got the boot again. I applied again and didn’t get it. Again. We also got ourselves another parent team to help raise additional funding. We are currently losing about £65k per month so I felt it necessary to boost our coffers in some way.

0hQia.png

FC Hoyvik

Youth Candidate Day 2021/22

7AWim.jpg

In terms of the general quality of this year’s intake, it has to be said that it is a little lower than usual. However, there is one jewel which outshines the rest of the players. Martin Joensen (YP143) looks like a tremendous talent. Whilst we aren’t particularly weak in central midfield, he is already better than anyone else we have in that position. Given the choice I think I’d actually prefer intakes like this, with one player already set for the first team rather than two or three that need some work.

Of the other players in this intake, Bui Jacobsen (YP144) and Eydun Andreasen (YP145) look the most talented, but will need something special to break into the first team.

Archived