Pharaohs? Great, I’ve always wanted to go to Egypt! Eh,... what other Pharaohs??

Scribe

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

An excellent start, but it's been followed by a horrendous mid-season :(

0hQia.png

FC Hoyvik

Youth Candidate Day 2014/15

Before we get onto the youth stuff, I’ll give a small update on how we’ve been playing since my last post. In a word: terrible! Our record in our last seven games is won one, drawn two, lost five! It leaves us mid-table with a big feeling of what might have been.

Still I don’t want to dwell on that, because youth day is supposed to be a happy occasion! In fact, just a few weeks before the big day we received some good news as I managed to persuade the board to invest a little extra in our junior coaching:

E7CDT.jpg

It should mean the quality of this intake is better, so when the day came I was excited to see if it had a positive impact.

Jk0ZO.jpg

In short, not really. None of them look any better than the guys we already have. The overwhelming characteristic that they seem to share is a lack of pace. It’s unfortunate because that can make the difference at this level.

Andre Jacobsen (YP49) apparently has the most talent to begin with, but personally I don’t see it. My assistant thinks that he has the most potential as well. My own view is that Ken Poulsen (YP59) looks the best of a very average bunch.

The intake brings our squad up to an unmanageable 57 players and with no sign of my feeder team request coming to fruition, a major clearout is on the cards at the end of the season when 35 of them are out of contract.

Achievements Completed

• Get an increased budget for youth coaching Achieved 2014/15

Yeah safe, but it's still very annoying when you get a taste of what could happen with a bit of consistency.

0hQia.png

FC Hoyvik

Post-Season 2014/15

Before I go on to discussing the full season and final table, I need to tell you about the situation going into the last game of the season. Our up-and-down form continued leading up to the final match, but we were left in a situation where we could actually sneak third place and the European spot that would go with it if results were to go our way.

The table looked like this going into the match:

1i4Yh.jpg

With 3rd playing 1st and 4th playing 2nd, I knew we had a chance if we could just beat our old rivals AB (yes them again). How did we get on? Well have a little look below to find out…

League Results - League Table League Graph Cup Results

We were mightily disappointing as AB played us off the park. Thankfully, a win would only have seen us finish 4th anyway, so I don’t quite feel so bad. However, to come so close is hugely frustrating, especially with the boost that European football would give the club.

I think I have to look back on this season positively. We’ve picked up 4 more points than we did last year, so we have improved albeit very slightly. The way we played in the second half of the season is something of a concern (highlighted well by our league position graph), but I’m in this for the long-haul and never expected instant success.

The less said about the cup, the better.

Board Expectations

1. Deild: Stay clear of relegation Achieved

Løgmanssteypið (the cup): Reach the second round Achieved

My Expectations

1. Deild: Avoid relegation Achieved

Løgmanssteypið (the cup): Don’t care Failed (I say failed because the defeat annoyed me, hence I did care!)

Key Players

Top Scorer: Sonni Eliasen (YP29) – the striker hit 8 goals in 17 matches. It’s unfortunate, but I’m having a real struggle getting him to sign a new deal for next season, so he might be on the way out just as he is starting to make an impact.

Most Assists: Bergur Gregersen (YP22) – Did well to make 7 goals in his few appearances this season. He could be a key player next season if he can stay fit.

Manager’s Player of the Year: Alfred Eliasen (YP19) – Has shown what a bit of acceleration can add to a team by being one of our few players that can cause teams problems on the break.

Fan’s Player of the Year: Hanus Nielsen (YP31) – a very decent season from the big centreback.

Next Season

Next season is going to be a transitional one. Unfortunately, some key players chose not to renew their contracts with us, so the likes of Bogi Hermansen, Frits Eliasen (YP2) and Olavur Johannesen (YP6) won’t be with us next season. It’s disappointing to see guys that have come through our youth system refuse to even listen to a contract offer, but where one door closes another one opens and it leaves an opportunity for others to have a chance to take us to the next level.

One man who may help to do that could be Bardur Magnussen (YP57) who made his debut for the Faroes under 19 team this week.

I think we are now at the stage where the only way we will make any real progress is to qualify for Europe. That has to be our aim from now on. Whether it is a realistic goal remains to be seen, especially with such wholesale changes to the squad being made.

Achievements Completed

• Have a player capped at U19 level for the national team Achieved 2014/15

lmgbz.gif

Faroe Watch 2015/16

[*] National team World Ranking: 150th Up 17 places

[*] UEFA coefficient: 1.625, 52nd place Down 1 place

[*] UEFA qualification places: 1 Champions League, 3 Europa League, no change

[*] League Rankings: Vodafonedeildin 312th Up 80 places (0.5 stars – no change)

[*] Biggest club: HB (1 star) - No change

[*] Hoyvik reputation: 0.5 star - No change

[*] Hoyvik title odds: 20/1 Improved from 50/1

0hQia.png

FC Hoyvik

Pre-Season 2015/16

Transfers

As I alluded to in my last update, there has been a big change in personnel of the last month or so. There were really three reasons for this. Firstly, the mammoth size of the squad was having a big negative impact on the club’s finances and the board has cut our wage budget this season. There simply was no longer the opportunity to keep guys around in the hope that they would turn good. That brings me to the second reason; a lot of these guys simply had nothing going for them. And finally, some just didn’t want to stay with us so they left.

Pre-Season Results

Another decent pre-season. Last year we kept a good run of results going into the opening games of the league. Hopefully we can do that again, but extend it right the way through the season.

Board Expectations

Vodafonedeildin: Stay clear of relegation

Løgmanssteypið (the cup): Reach the second round

Same again for the third year running.

My Expectations

Vodafonedeildin: Challenge for a European spot

Løgmanssteypið (the cup): Win it

I’ve stepped up my expectations now. We simply have to stop coasting along and actually achieve something worthwhile.

Finances

Our finances are horrible. Our very modest income didn’t cover our overheads before, so now that we are part-time, the addition of wages for the players is just an extra debt we have to cover. The board are fairly generous in their investments, but the only way we will ever make a profit is from European football.

Our season ticket sales stood still at 28 again this season.

Squad

The squad is a bit more of a manageable size now, but it is still too large. We have 33 players, which is about ten too many for my liking. The end of the season will probably see more cuts, when 31 of these 33 are out of contract.

Annoyingly, even with a squad of this magnitude, we only have one leftback (the others didn’t want to renew their contracts last season, so left). I’m retraining a few of the centrebacks to cover, but they are mostly really slow and ready to be turned inside-out by any tricky wingers they come up against.

Key Players and Ones-to-Watch

In goals, Trygvi Askham is the last man standing when it comes to the original squad members when I took over. He held off the challenge of the youngsters last season and I expect he will do so again this year, despite his dreadful reflexes.

Apart from Askham, the old man of the team is Rogvi Tausen (YP1). At 23 years old, I’ll be looking for him to step up to the plate in the absence of the now departed Bogi Hermansen.

Most of the focus this year will be up front, where two new guys will be looking to make their mark on the team. Last year’s top scorer Sonni Eliasen (YP8) could not agree terms on a new deal so the two Poulsen’s Ken Poulsen (YP51) and Jakup Martin Poulsen (YP52) are the men I’m looking to score the goals this season. As yet, I’m undecided which will get the nod on the opening day of the season.

Thanking you kind sir :)

0hQia.png

FC Hoyvik

Mid-Season 2015/16

Results - League Table League Graph

We haven’t quite had the same explosive start to the season as last year, but I’m pleased with how we’ve done. We’re in just as good a position and, if anything, I think we are playing better than we were this time last year.

Our attacking quartet have been terrific so far. Jakup Martin Poulsen (YP52) has been a revelation in the lone striker role. He has been ably supported by Bergur Gregersen (YP22), Alfred Eliasen (YP19) and, to a slightly lesser extent, Jakup Nielsen (YP18).

We’re also still in the cup and that is an improvement over last season’s solitary game, so overall, I’m very satisfied.

Read on to find out...

0hQia.png

FC Hoyvik

Youth Candidate Day 2015/16

I was in two minds about whether to give a small update on the league at this point of the season. At the halfway mark we were three points off the top of the table. Last season we were in a not dissimilar position and fell away. This season, well… actually, I think I’ll you in suspense until the end of the season.

Haha, as if I’d tease you like that! As you can see, our results have been absolutely amazing:

FiL5s.jpg

Unbeaten in twelve matches and now in the cup final. We’ve been immense and whilst we’re not there yet, I’d be distraught if we threw it away from here.

VNSxU.jpg

Anyway, more about that at the end of the season.

This update is all about the youths:

9N1x8.jpg

On paper, a mighty fine intake with four players of high ability. A closer look and they don’t seem all that great, but one or two are definite first team material.

My assistant rates Bogi Hansen (YP65) as the pick of the bunch. For once, he might be right, but his poor physicals need work before I’d entrust him with a place in the first team.

My pick for this intake is Runi Joensen (YP66). Unfortunately we don’t use MR’s so he’ll be retrained as an MC where I think he will become one of our best players.

The two other most highly rated players are Julian Joensen (YP67) and Jonstein Nonklett (YP68), but I don’t feel as though they are of the same standard as the two aforementioned players.

Quality job

Thanks. I think the difference this season is that I've focused a lot more on sustaining match fitness. I think a lack of that was partly behind my collapse last season. I now have the guys on condition training the entire season :D

0hQia.png

FC Hoyvik

Post-Season 2015/16

What can I say? An amazing season that massively exceeded my expectations. We didn’t start in a particularly outlandish manner, but we never let ourselves fall out of contention. In the second half of the season we just bull-dozed everything that was put in front of us and we steamrolled our way to a league and cup double. Unbelievable stuff.

I’d always expected that we would be able to dominate domestically, but I didn’t expect it this early. Perhaps it will be a one-off though; we’ll need to guard against overconfidence next season.

Board Expectations

1. Deild: Stay clear of relegation Surpassed

Løgmanssteypið (the cup): Reach the second round Surpassed

My Expectations

Vodafonedeildin: Challenge for a European spot Surpassed

Løgmanssteypið (the cup): Win it Achieved

Key Players

Top Scorer: Jakup Martin Poulsen (YP52) – a new star! He hit eleven goals in all competitions and has probably been the real difference this season. It’s great having someone I can rely on up front.

Most Assists: Bergur Gregersen (YP22) – Gregersen picked up this award last season in a limited number of appearances , but has turned into a key player this time around. His eight assists this season were complimented by the six goals he scored himself.

Manager’s Player of the Year: Jakup Martin Poulsen (YP52) – it was really a toss up between the two men above, but Poulsen just steals it by a nose.

Fan’s Player of the Year: Bergur Gregersen (YP22) – as I said, now a key player for me and the fans seem to agree.

Next Season

We have well and truly raised expectations and I now expect us to kick on from here. The very minimum I’d accept is a top 3 finish in the league (although of course I want to win it again). The domestic cup doesn’t matter to me anymore, but the thing I’m really looking forward to is the Champions League campaign.

The board seem excited as well; again agreeing to invest in our youth team. We are still a long way away from a conveyer belt of talent, but if we can make the most of what we have then it is a step in the right direction.

Achievements Completed

• Qualify for the Europa League Achieved 2015/16
  • Qualify for the Champions League Achieved 2015/16
  • Finish top 3 in Vodafonedeildin Achieved 2015/16
  • Win Vodafonedeildin Achieved 2015/16
  • Win Løgmanssteypið (the cup) Achieved 2015/16

lmgbz.gif

Faroe Watch 2016/17

[*] National team World Ranking: 196th Down 46 places

[*] UEFA coefficient: 1.675, 52nd place – no change

[*] UEFA qualification places: 1 Champions League, 3 Europa League, no change

[*] League Rankings: Vodafonedeildin 321st Down 9 places (0.5 stars – no change)

[*] Hoyvik club value: £400k – first time recorded

[*] Hoyvik title odds: Evens Improved from 20/1

Thanks chaps. I was a little surprised at my success this season, but I won't complain!

0hQia.png

FC Hoyvik

Champions League Qualifier 2016/17 Special Update

I think my first foray into Europe deserves its own little update :D

Just one day into the new season we had the draw for the Champions League Champions First Qualifying Phase. We were one of only four sides to enter the competition at this point, alongside Flora of Estonia, Floriana of Malta and Sant Julia of Andorra. I had no real preference as to who we were drawn against (all three squads were made up of greyed-out players). In the end, it was a trip to Andorra on the cards, with the victors being lined up for a trip to Montenegro to face Rudar.

NdRmD.jpg

The thing that worried me most at this stage was the date of the matches against Sant Julia; we had just over a week to prepare and were sure to be lacking match fitness. I was especially concerned that their greyed-out players would be at full match fitness and cause us to struggle in the latter stages of the tie.

In any case, that didn’t stop the excitement building as the day of our Euro debut draw near. It seemed that they were the favourites, but I truly had no idea at this point:

When it came to the match, I think I will let the highlights speak for themselves:

[video=youtube;v1Ef0q06ZMw]

Also available in 720p

And in case that doesn’t work, here is a screenshot

My fears of lack of match fitness proved to be unfounded as we dominated the closing stages of the match and added a little shine to the scoreline. I was fairly confident that we would be able to progress after that excellent victory.

Almost 1000 fans turned out for the second leg which, in the end, turned into something of a formality. We were off to Montenegro!

Thanks all, your encouragement is greatly appreciated.

0hQia.png

FC Hoyvik

Champions League Qualifiers 2016/17 Special Update Part 2

And so, onto Rudar. Again, they only had greyed our players, but I knew this time we wouldn’t have it so easy. We travelled to Montenegro for the first leg where unfortunately we were comprehensively outplayed. We were 4-0 down at one point, so to get two goals back threw us the tiniest of lifelines for the second leg. At the very least we wanted to prove their cocky fans wrong by putting up a good showing.

A record crowd of 1102 filled a massive 22% of our stadium for the match (I guess there is no need for a new stadium yet!), and we got off to a great start as star man Poulsen (YP52) opened the scoring after 11 minutes. Just one more goal would take us through on away goals and the prospect of a third qualifying round tie against Panathinaikos.

Unfortunately, Rudar found their direction (I knew there was a pun in there somewhere) and scored two goals in quick succession to lead at halftime. At that stage I thought it was over, but we were thrown another lifeline when they had a man sent off on 57 minutes. Shortly after that, we managed to get it back to 2-2 on the night and then won a penalty with ten minutes to go to set up a grandstand finish. Regrettably, Sjurdur Poulsen (YP23) hadn’t read the script as he blasted the ball over the bar, and with it our Champions League hope for the season.

I think we can take great pride in our showing and I’m looking forward to next season already (assuming we can qualify). We’ve had a little taste now and it’s great. The financial benefits are great, and for the first time since I took over, we have some money in the bank! We’re already seeing that cash being put to good use.

Achievements Completed

• Get out of the red financially Achieved 2016/17
  • Have training facilities improved Achieved 2016/17

Good progress, congratulations, that money from Europe will be vital for the development of the club :)

Shame about Rudar, Panathenaikos would have been massive.

Yeah, although in some ways I'm almost glad because they beat Rudar 8-0 on aggregate and I'm not sure I fancy being on the wrong end of a scoreline like that!

Thanks, I think there are probably a few more including deadfncat and Dune297. Plenty of options for the reader if they like that sort of thing!

0hQia.png

FC Hoyvik

Pre-Season 2016/17

Pre-Season Results

It seems that we were rather distracted by our European exploits this season, and our pre-season friendly results have suffered as a result. I hope it won’t have too much of a negative impact over the course of the season.

Board Expectations

Vodafonedeildin: Stay clear of relegation

Faroese Super Cup: Learn from the experience

UEFA Champions League: Learn from the experience

Same again for the forth year running for the league and cup. The two new competitions don’t seem to bother them. Not the most ambitious this board of mine!

My Expectations

Vodafonedeildin: Attain for a European spot

Løgmanssteypið (the cup): Not bothered

Faroese Super Cup: Win it

UEFA Champions League: Learn from the experience

A top 3 finish is my minimum requirement, but ideally we’ll make it two-in-a-row. Now that we’ve won the cup I don’t really care too much for it. I want to win the Super Cup because it’s something we’ve never played in and of course of Champions League campaign is already becoming a memory.

Finances

We’re in the black! European football has been kind to us.

Disappointingly we’ve only sold 28 season tickets again. I was expecting a rise in sales on the back of last season’s double, but that hasn’t materialised.

Squad

The end of last season saw the usual batch of free transfers; mostly no hopers, but one or two I would have preferred to stay refused to sign a new contract. That seems to be a particular problem with fullbacks – I guess I work them too hard, because we only have one DL and one DR in the squad now. Others are being retrained as we speak.

Otherwise, I’m fairly happy with what we have. We should hopefully be good enough to retain our title.

I am now beginning to see some of my players establish themselves as key to our success. We previously had a lot of guys that were of equal ability, but I’m pleased to say that some are now becoming more noticeable as individuals.

At the back, our club captain Teitur Hentze (YP25) organises the defence to good effect. He is fairly adaptable, so I think he might end up playing at leftback a lot of the time this season.

In the middle of the park it is a very important season for our very first youth player Rogvi Tausen (YP1). He stood out from the crowd when he first came to the club, but he really hasn’t improved an awful lot. Indeed his place in the first team is under severe threat from Runi Joensen (YP66) who I am really expecting great things of.

In the attacking midfield positions, Alfred Eliasen (YP19) and Bergur Gregersen (YP22) are our creative sparks with Ossur Morkore (YP50) and Jakup Nielsen (YP18) filling the slot for a goalscoring midfielder.

In front of them and leading the line is our real star Jakup Martin Poulsen (YP52). I’m really excited to see how many goals he can get this season. He managed 4 goals in 4 games in Europe, so he should be capable of breaking the 20 goal barrier this season.

Yeah, I'm pleased to get a decent striker than can take us forward. You're certainly correct that we are no where near the level required for Europe; you'll see from this update that we're not even good enough to dominate domestically yet either :(

0hQia.png

FC Hoyvik

Mid-Season 2016/17

One is not impressed with his team so far this season!

I’m not sure what’s up with the us so far. We’ve had a couple of injuries, but nothing major; we are just very, very inconsistent. We started off really well with a 6-0 win, but then couldn’t win in the next four league games. We were then unbeaten in four matches in all competitions before losing the next two. Another run of wins and then we lose again in our last game before this update. It’s very frustrating.

I’m staying positive though. We are six points off the top of the table and just three points off a European spot. We are still in the cup and we got our hands on the Super Cup for the first time in our history. So it’s not a disaster, but we definitely need to improve.

0hQia.png

FC Hoyvik

Youth Candidate Day 2016/17

I won’t spend too much time giving an update on the season so far. We’ve only lost one game since the last update, but with just four matches remaining the gap to top spot remains at six points so it seems unlike that we will retain our title. We have however reached the cup final again and, because we will play league leaders NSI in that, we have a good chance of getting some more European football next season.

Before all that though, onto this season’s youth intake:

KtCDP.jpg

I’m delighted to say that I think we may have a star in our midst. Tordur Dam (YP81) already looks like one of our best players. I’m really excited about the opportunity of seeing him develop into a club legend. He could be ably assisted by the promising looking Frits Lakjuni (YP88) in the centre of defence

Elsewhere, Anfinn Jacobsen (YP92) looks a decent prospect and a future captain of the team, whereas Hallur Petersen (YP82) is unfortunately another MR that will need retrained to a new position.

0hQia.png

FC Hoyvik

Post-Season 2016/17

After a fairly poor start, we pulled things together in the second half of the season, but we’d given our rivals too big a headstart. Third place isn’t where we want to be, but it’s not too bad I guess.

We did manage to retain the cup, and showed NSI that we are capable of beating them with a fine performance in the final. That result put us into Europe for the second season in a row; albeit the Europa League. Perhaps we will have more of a chance of modest success in that one, but the monetary rewards will obviously be lower. We could have done with Champions League football next season, especially after we got this kick in the teeth, which is quite a setback I’m sure you’ll agree. We are about £100k in debt, so I can’t really argue with the reasoning unfortunately.

Board Expectations

Vodafonedeildin: Stay clear of relegation Surpassed

Faroese Super Cup: Learn from the experience Surpassed

UEFA Champions League: Learn from the experience Achieved

My Expectations

Vodafonedeildin: Attain for a European spot Achieved

Løgmanssteypið (the cup): Not bothered Surpassed

Faroese Super Cup: Win it Achieved

UEFA Champions League: Learn from the experience Achieved

Key Players

Top Scorer: Jakup Martin Poulsen (YP52) – Poulsen made it two seasons in a row with 17 goals in 23 appearences. Good stuff from the forward and I want him to break the 20 goal barrier next season.

Most Assists: Bergur Gregersen (YP22) & Ossur Morkore (YP50) – another familiar story as Gregerson gets this award, but this season he has to share it with the up-and-coming Morkore with 12 assists apiece.

Manager’s Player of the Year: Bergur Gregersen (YP22) – he added some goals to his assists and that was enough to snatch the award from Poulsen.

Fan’s Player of the Year: Bergur Gregersen (YP22) – swiftly becoming a fans’ favourite.

Next Season

I want us to challenge for the league title again. It’s critical that we get the Champions League windfall, otherwise we are going to stagnate.

The quality of youths is definitely improving and to prove my point in that regard, I’m delighted to say that Tordur Dam (YP81) has just made his full international debut for the Faroe Islands. The flip side of that coin is that the first batch of youths are now at a stage where they are struggling to make and impact and unfortunately, this end is in sight for our first youth player Rogvi Tausen (YP1). He has been a good servant, but now is the time for him to move on.

Achievements Completed

• Have a player capped at senior level for the national team Achieved 2016/17

Congratulations on your success - Europe League still means extra cash in teh coffers, albeit not at the level of the Champions League. Tordur Dam is going to be quality for you - the improvement in youth is definitely noticable, but huge investment is till needed if it is to get up to decent levels. Tausen will most likely retire as I dont believe another club will take him, am I correct?

Yes, I suspect you're correct. Some players have been picked up after I've released them, no interest in him so far.

lmgbz.gif

Faroe Watch 2017/18

[*] National team World Ranking: 185th - Up 11 places

[*] UEFA coefficient: 2.167, 50th place – Up 2 places

[*] UEFA qualification places: 1 Champions League, 3 Europa League, no change (but Champions now enter at Q2 instead of Q1)

[*] League Rankings: Vodafonedeildin 320th Up 1 place (0.5 stars – no change)

[*] Hoyvik European ranking: 384th – Up 674 places

[*] Hoyvik club value: £425k – Up £25k

[*] Hoyvik title odds: 7/4 Lengthened from Evens

Interesting to see that my performances in last year’s Champions League have helped the champions avoid the first qualifying round and they go straight into the second qualifier this season.

Thanks. The masochist within me doesn't want this to be easy anyway!

I've had to change to photobucket for this update because of the problems I'm having with imgur, so apologies for the screenshots being slightly lower quality.

0hQia.png

FC Hoyvik

Pre-Season 2017/18

Europa League

We entered the Europa League at the second qualifying stage this season where we were drawn against Skonto of Latvia. It’s always difficult to tell, but I thought they looked a little stronger than Rudar (the team that knocked us out of Europe last year).

The first leg saw us travel to Riga, where little was expected of us, but we put up a good fight and came away with a couple of away goals in a 3-2 defeat that could have been worse.

That gave me some hope for the second leg, where a 1-0 win would do us nicely. Again, no one expected much of us, but we put up a good showing; frustratingly being knocked out by a single goal.

So, a very short-lived European campaign but promising signs that given a bit more time we should be able to beat teams from bigger countries like Latvia. For our troubles, we were given just short of £80k in prize money and that proved enough to persuade the board to invest some more money in our junior coaching.

Pre-Season Results

Europe distracted us last year and it seemed to inhibit us early on in the season, so I was keen not to fall into that trap again. This time around we were much more focused and the results show that, although we did fall to a defeat in our final friendly match.

Board Expectations

Vodafonedeildin: Safe mid-table position

Faroese Super Cup: Learn from the experience

UEFA Europa League: Learn from the experience

The board expectations crept up slightly this season, but still nothing too onerous.

My Expectations

Vodafonedeildin: Win it

Løgmanssteypið (the cup): Not bothered

Faroese Super Cup: Not bothered

UEFA Europa League: Learn from the experience

I think we need to aim to be in the Champions League every season now and to do that we need to win the league. I’m sure we are capable so long as we can display some consistency.

Finances

The Europa League proceeds weren’t enough to take us out of the red; it’s going to be a long hard season ahead.

I expected the usual die-hard support of 28 to buy their season tickets and that is exactly what happened. Someday one of them will bring a dog along with them or something I’m sure.

Squad

I’m reasonably happy with the squad as it is, but I feel a bit as though I’m on the edge of a precipice. Every season we seem to have problems with a few players refusing to enter contract negotiations. We have a large number of players out of contract in 12 months time and many of them are in that category so there may be some rebuilding required.

I think we only have three stand-out players now:

• Tordur Dam (YP81) is clearly our most talented player. This will be his first full season and I’m hoping he can help steady a slightly ropey defence.
  • Bergur Gregersen (YP22) has proven himself to be our most creative force. Unfortunately, his contract expires at the end of the season and it looks unlikely that I will be able to persuade him to stay.
  • Jakup Martin Poulsen (YP52) is our goalscorer and the man that our hopes rest on. He was a bit disappointing in Europe this season, but I’m hoping that was just a blip and the goals will flow against lesser opposition.

You've made some great progress with them, will be interesting to see if you can cement your place as top dogs in the Farores any time soon :thup:

Thanks. NSI are the team to beat - I guess they had one bad season when we won the title.

80k must be massive over there.

It's our only income really. Attendance and sponsorship money is virtually zero.

0hQia.png

FC Hoyvik

Mid-Season 2017/18

A massive improvement on last season.

It seems that the title is either going to go to us or NSI. They are obliterating everything in front of them and it’s only because we beat them two games ago that we sit at the top of the table. If we slip up at all, I’m certain they will overtake us. I just hope that we can keep up our level of performance.

Individually, we’ve had some impressive performances from the likes of Hallur Petersen(YP82), who has shone in an OMC position despite him not being a natural there. It’s been quite the opposite for Jakup Martin Poulsen (YP52); he has really struggled to hit the back of the net as much as I’d hoped.

0hQia.png

FC Hoyvik

Youth Candidate Day 2017/18

Youth candidate day always arrives with just four matches left in the league season and this year is no different. We’d been doing well at the halfway point and since then we’ve continued our great form. As it stands, we are four points clear of our nearest rivals, NSI. However, the title is far from wrapped up; our last three games are against the teams currently 2nd, 3rd and 4th.

Also, we’ve reached the cup final yet again, despite playing backup players in that competition.

Now, onto this season’s youth intake:

intake.jpg

Our recent investment in junior coaching is really starting to pay off. The majority of players are poor, but each intake seems to bring with it one or two gems. This season’s standout players are Bjarki Djuhuus (YP97) and Kaj Hentze (YP98). Both look like excellent players already and will only improve in the future.

Other players worth keeping an eye on include Tummas Jacobsen (YP103) and Martin Poulsen (YP100). Overall, quite a pleasing intake.

Onto more disturbing news now though. I’ve just received the news that we are subject of a takeover bid and they quite fancy bringing in a new manager if successful. I am still on an amateur deal so would be easy to get rid of, so the news is quite worrying.

That explains why when I tried to quote you, it only got the second half. Anyway, I've just thought of how hilarious it would be if, like in the thread title, someone was expecting going to Egypt then finding themselves in the Faeroes.

0hQia.png

FC Hoyvik

Post-Season 2017/18

A superb season and exactly what we needed after last year’s disappointment. We never looked back after hitting the summit of the table just before the halfway mark. In the end we clinched the title with three games remaining. That meant we went into our game against NSI (that I thought would be critical) having already won the league, so it was all the sweeter to rub it in!

Our route to the cup final was a pretty simple one and we thrashed 1. Deild side Skala in the final.

Board Expectations

Vodafonedeildin: Safe mid-table position Surpassed

Faroese Super Cup: Learn from the experience Surpassed

UEFA Europa League: Learn from the experience Achieved

My Expectations

Vodafonedeildin: Win it Achieved

Løgmanssteypið (the cup): Not bothered Surpassed

Faroese Super Cup: Not bothered Surpassed

UEFA Europa League: Learn from the experience Achieved

Key Players

Top Scorer: Jakup Martin Poulsen (YP52) & Tordur Dam (YP81) – Poulsen had a fairly poor season by his previous standards, but managed to pull it together a bit in the second half of the season. The goalscoring surprise of the season was star defender Dam’s contribution with 10 goals to equal Poulsen.

Most Assists: Bergur Gregersen (YP22) – Gregersen was our creative force again this season with 10 assists. Unfortunately this will be his final season in a Hoyvik shirt; he simply refuses to even discuss terms on a new deal.

Manager’s Player of the Year: Tordur Dam (YP81) – I think it simply has to go to Dam. He was strong at the back and up front. A special mention however, has to go to Bjarki Djuhuus (YP97) who was simply astonishing after coming through in this season’s youth intake.

Fan’s Player of the Year: Tordur Dam (YP81) – not a massive surprise!

Next Season

Big changes are afoot. I’d mentioned earlier that Gregerson is leaving us, but he will be joined by a number of players that have made their mark on the team in past seasons. Those most notable are listed below:

• Trygvi Askham – our very last player from the original squad. He lost his place in the team this year, so is not a major loss, but his departure is definitely a door closing on the old regime.
  • Teitur Hentze (YP25) – the club captain and our first choice left back. He will be missed.
  • Gunnar Nolsoe (YP27) – top assister a few years ago, but no more than backup of late.
  • Hanus Nielsen (YP31) – a previous winner of fan’s player of the year and had been a first choice centreback alongside Dam this season.

Sadly, none of them will even discuss terms and look like they’d prefer the dole queue to playing Champions League football next season.

On a more positive note, I don’t think we will miss them too much (one or two perhaps, but it won’t hurt us in the long-run). The quality within our side is growing steadily and I’ll be looking to dominate the league again next season. As for Europe, it will really depend on who we are drawn against. I had hoped we would avoid a qualifier against a fellow diddy nation but our ranking has fallen again so we have to go through the first qualifying round again.

Finally, our recent takeover bid collapsed, so my job is safe for now, although I expect one to be finalised at some point in the future.

Archived