FM12: Danny Welbeck - Daniel Nii Tackie Mensah Welbeck

tommonufc

Danny Welbeck

Manchester United and England

His Mother calls him 'Daniel Nii Tackie Mensah Welbeck'. True strory.

147724hp2.jpg

Daniel Nii Tackie Mensah Welbeck, or known as Danny to his friends was born to Ghanaian parents in Manchester, England on 26 November 1990. Welbeck joined Manchester United during the 2005–06 season, making his debut for the club's Under-18 side on 8 April 2006 against Sunderland. The following season, he made a further 28 appearances for the U18s, scoring nine goals, including eight appearances and one goal in the FA Youth Cup, in which he helped the team to reach the final - despite being two years younger than some of the other players. He signed his first trainee contract in July 2007, and started the 2007–08 season in the Under-18 side, but was quickly promoted to the Reserve team, making a number of substitute appearances. In January 2008, he was called up to the first team for the trip to Saudi Arabia to play Al-Hilal in Sami Al-Jaber's testimonial. Welbeck made his debut in that game, coming on as a substitute for Anderson.

Danny made his competitive debut for the Manchester United on 23 September 2008, starting in the team's League Cup 3rd Round 3-0 win at home to Middlesbrough. Welbeck made his Premier League debut on 15 November 2008, coming on as a sub for Park Ji-Sung against Stoke City. He marked his debut with a curling 30-yard strike into the top right corner for United's fourth goal in a 5–0 win. Welbeck's next senior appearance for Manchester United came in an FA Cup Third Round tie against Southampton on 4 January 2009, when he opened the scoring in a 3–0 win. He followed that performance with a goal in the Fifth Round victory over Derby County.

On 25 January 2010, Welbeck became Alex Ferguson's son Darren's first signing as Preston North End manager, signing on loan for the remainder of the 2009–10 season. His time at Preston was cut short through injury, eventually returning to Manchester United to recieve treatment on a knee injury after scoring two goals in eight appearances for Preston. On 12 August 2010, Welbeck singed on loan for Sunderland for the duration of the 2010/11 season. Welbeck's debut for Sunderland came on 14 August as an 83rd minute substitute for Darren Bent in a 2–2 home draw against Birmingham City. On 14 November, Welbeck scored his first Sunderland goal as he completed the scoring in a 3–0 away victory over Chelsea, rounding off what many pundits praised as an excellent performance. Eight days later Welbeck scored his first home goals for Sunderland, striking twice in a 2–2 draw with Everton. In his time at Sunderland he finished with six goals in 26 appearances.

Welbeck was given a starting berth in the 2011 FA Community Shield match at Wembley, United won the game 3–2. This was followed by him starting alongside Wayne Rooney in the first league game of the 2011–12 Premier League season away to West Bromwich Albion. So far in this season he has scored 4 goals in 17 appearances.

International Career

Welbeck made his England Under16s debut as a 14-year-old in October 2005 against Wales. He then progressed to the England U17s, scoring the decider in a qualifying game against Serbia, to help his team progress to the 2007 U17 European Championship. There, Welbeck scored two goals against New Zealand, helping England to reach the quarter-finals in their first involvement in the tournament. The striker made his debut for the Under19s on 9 September 2008, playing the full 90 minutes in a 2–1 win over the Netherlands. Welbeck made his England U21 debut on 10 February 2009, in the 3–2 loss to Ecuador, coming on for Adam Johnson. On 7 September 2010, Welbeck scored his first two goals for the England U21s in a 3–0 win over Lithuania. Welbeck then started the first game of England's campaign at the 2011 European U21 Football Championship against Spain. Welbeck scored an 88th minute equaliser as England began the tournament with a 1–1 draw.

In November 2008, it was reported that the Ghana Football Association was keeping tabs on Welbeck, with a view to him representing the Ghana national team in the future. On 29 March 2011 Welbeck was called up to the England squad, for their friendly fixture against Ghana. Welbeck replaced Ashley Young in the 81st minute which saw the section of Ghana fans in Wembley boo the player. Since then he has gone on to play in England's deciding Euro 2012 qualifier against Montenegro, as well as the recent International Friendlies against Spain and Sweden.

Playing Style

"Arsenal have had Kanu in the past and now have Emmanuel Adebayor and I think Danny Welbeck has the kind of game. He has the ability to drag the ball past defenders. He has a languid style and you might think, at first look, that he is not quick. But, believe me, he is. He's very easy on the eye. Often big tall players don't look comfortable on the ball and their control doesn't appear great. But Danny is a really smooth mover, is confident on the ball and has great control. He can beat defenders using either foot and has a very nice unflustered temperament. He gets knocked about a lot but he just gets up and gets on with it." -

[video=youtube;oCMrstH0ytU]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCMrstH0ytU

Danny Welbeck in Football Manager 2012

FM Creation of Time - July 2011

DannyWelbeckOverview_Profile.png

2013/14 Season - September 2013

DannyWelbeckOverview_Attributes.png

Danny Welbeck first caught my eye when I was managing him in Team GB at the 2012 Olympics, scoring an impressive 12 goals in 6 games. Although this was against somewhat lowly opposition including Trinidad and Tobago U23s and Japan U23s he still showed a surprisingly deadly prowess in front of goal. His performance under me here left a lasting affect on me, and when the opportunity rose to sign him from Manchester United at the start of 2013/14 I didn't think twice. At this time I was in the market for around three strikers to fill gaps by previous players leaving. Welbeck was signed for £4.6m, which I thought to be a reasonable price; he wasn't brought in to be my regonised goal scoring due to my reservations I had of him to perform at the highest level - due to somewhat underwhelming stats and scout reports that didn't set the world alight. Because of this I only contracted him for a single year, which gave me the ability to see leave at the end of the season if he didn't fulfill his Olympic form.

In the first game of the season, he started on the bench; only to come on and score an equalising goal in a 2-2 draw against Everton. Since then he has been nothing short of phenomenal, hence why I have included his performance stats for the season so far in the above screenshot (please don't read too much into the stats, he was under AI development for most of the time. Hopefully better improvements would and will be seen with a tailored schedule.) I've played him invariably as a loan striker in a 'Poacher' role, in a highly creative Newcastle team, players of Christian Eriksen, Marvin Martin, Yohan Cabeye, Mario Gotze, David Alaba making up the midfield most weeks. I believe due to this wealth of creativity he is able to find the net with such frequency; most of his goal can be seen from sharp turns and movements in and around the box, which leads me to believe that despite his Off The Ball presence not being that of such a archetypal poacher such as Van Nistelrooy his shear speed makes up for his shortcomings there. So combined with an average set of stats, his acceleration and agility allow him to turn quickly and acutely in and around the box and fire in a shot before a defender has had a chance to attempt a block or tackle.

Combined with his exceptional acceleration his is blistering pace, which allows him to run the channels brilliantly. Again, not blessed dribbling skills that would rival Messi or Ronaldo he has the pace and acceleration that allows him to get the most out of the dribbling ability he does posses. What his acceleration and pace do give, combined with a very usuful ppm of Knocks Ball Past Opponent is the ability to do 'exactly what it says on the tin' so to speak. He will be able to knock the ball round a defender into an area of space and use his acceleration to get the the ball before said defender has realised what has happened to him, and he will find himself away. When in space his dribbling skills will not be put to as much of a test, with him possessing enough ability to allow him to run with the ball at speeds; just not the ability needed to replicate Maradona's goal against England (not the hand of god! you know, the one with Peter Reid chasing him five yards behind throughout.)

Something that has added to my suprise is his record over the last couple of seasons;

DannyWelbeckHistory_CareerStats.png

Evidently used as a squad player at Manchester United, with him only having any sort of run of games during a loan spell in Holland from January 2013 until the end of the season. During this time he has still managed to collect a further 9 England caps, and has shown a 0.33 strike rate in the International games he has appeared in since the start of the game. Far from the Romario's and David Villa's of the International scene, but I believe it this can only improve, especially if he is hitting the net in club football.

I think that's everything I've got to say on him, hopefully he can keep this prolific form he's began with this season. Hope you've enjoyed reading, and I leave you with my highest recommendations of young Daniel Nii Tackie Mensah!

love these detailed thread lads... great effort.. but if there was one piece of contructive criticism i could give its that the details are lost in the walls of text... now im not suggesting getting rid of the info as its brilliant... maybe just add a panel at the bottom or the start simply stating sale price, what teams he might go to, best role..

Mostly used as a rotation option for Hernandez for my Man United side, here's how he looks approaching the end of my third season:

DannyWelbeckOverview_Attributes.png

In all competitions over the three years he's scored 58 goals in 70 appearances, including 32 in 34 in the Premiership. Not too bad at all if you ask me. If you can get him cheap enough like Tom did in the OP, I'd highly recommend him.

So has anybody managed to get the best out of Mr Welbeck?

Just picked him up on a free at the start of my 3rd season in charge of a cash strapped Birmingham to partner Sturridge upfront. He's been set as a poacher/advanced forward in an attacking 4-3-2-1 so far, not done badly but not set the world alight either, There's other sections of the team i'm looking to strengthen ahead of the front pairing ideally, so any advice would be great.

So has anybody managed to get the best out of Mr Welbeck?

Just picked him up on a free at the start of my 3rd season in charge of a cash strapped Birmingham to partner Sturridge upfront. He's been set as a poacher/advanced forward in an attacking 4-3-2-1 so far, not done badly but not set the world alight either, There's other sections of the team i'm looking to strengthen ahead of the front pairing ideally, so any advice would be great.

Partnering him with Sturridge isn't the answer; there too similar players.

My personal preference would be to see either one played as a poacher, with somebody with an eye for a pass and good creativity play behind him in the AMC. Towards the end of the season that I have mentioned in previous posts, I have noticed Welbeck to be extremely wasteful with his chances when he is not in form and playing without confidence; and usually scores from the brilliance of others, for example an eye of a needle pass to leave him with a great chance on goal.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Nice work Fabio MVP, glad to see this thread resurrected, completely forgot I made it :lol:

Very informative thread.

I have just signed him for a snitch $3.3M. I am going to follow Fabio MVP's set up and see how it develops. I am playing 4312, he will be working with a T and a poacher up front.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I don't get why he's so effective. His mental stats (apart from Off the Ball) are abysmal for a top flight player and his tecnhical ability is just not Premiership quality. Good stirkers are usually very intelligent, yet Welbeck strikes me as a dumb one - look at his Decisions and Anticipation, never mind his creativity! Quickness and agility must be really overpowered in the ME.

Archived