Quickfire Questions and Answers Thread (Tactic and Training Questions Only)

Hi I'm creating my own counter attack tactic with Juve and my question is about the def line, what's the effect of push higher? I'm pairing it with short pass and don't know what to expect or what I will see.

and also on tutoring: should I try to match personalities ?

(I've been reading that Ajax thread)

Hi Vinny, to answer,

1) What are you unsure of with the high d-line? I would suggest that it isn't really right for a classic counter style which aims to draw the opponent in and stretch them out and so leaving space to exploit when you come into possession. Your shorter passing should work fine with the more compressed space offered by your d-line. What were you thinking about with the question

2) Cleon's thread is the masterclass for tutoring, and you can't go far wrong emulating his approach. However, I have never matched personalities deliberately, and haven't noticed it ever making a difference. In fact, the reason I tutor is because I want to alter the personalities of players to something more positive. The failure of tutoring seems to me to be somewhat random, as I've had opposites work well together, and players with similar personalities clash.

• Replies 17.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

and also on tutoring: should I try to match personalities ?

(I've been reading that Ajax thread)

Right, Cleon's Ajax thread is beyond excellent.

There is no much point really in matching personalities. The reason you tutor is that you want the youngster's personality to improve. This won't happen if personalities are already EXACTLY the same.

On the other hand, there may be a point in matching personalities when you just want to transfer the mentor's PPMs.

In addition: I have not found a way to be 100% sure that a tutoring will work or not. There must be a formula coded in that produces a probability of tutoring success every week or month, but it's probably statistical. There seems to be an increased probability of success when the personalities are not extremely different. For example, suppose you have a youngster with determination=professionalism=1 and 2 potential tutors with det=prof=6 and det=prof=12. I would probably go with the former tutor first. After I raised the youngster's det&prof attributes a bit, I would follow with the latter tutor.

wow thanks so much guys! the tutoring question was cause I was Barça some months ago and tutoring failed miserably! hahaha

tactics wise I trashed Lazio 6-0 in the Super Cup Final starting really offensive, going up 1-0 then switched to a convencional counter - rigid -> short pass, drop deep, play narower , stick to position, lower tempo, be more disciplined.

I was just curious, thats all ;)

This may sound dumb but I've always wondered why the advanced forward and poacher roles have the dribble more instruction active. Anyone have an idea/explanation why?

This may sound dumb but I've always wondered why the advanced forward and poacher roles have the dribble more instruction active. Anyone have an idea/explanation why?

It's basically the FM way of reducing passing. I believe it is a way to make the Roles more selfish with the ball.

Is there any point in asking a player to learn a new preferred move if the coach says they don't see them capable of learning it? I get it every time I want a player to develop their weaker foot.

Also what should you do if your Assistant is telling you "We are misplacing way too many easy passes"?

Regarding 'hassle opponents' team instruction does it the same effect whether you are using using counter, control or attacking? Or does each increase of mentality ramp up pressing further??

Regarding 'hassle opponents' team instruction does it the same effect whether you are using using counter, control or attacking? Or does each increase of mentality ramp up pressing further??

Irrespective of Mentality, the effects of Hassle Opponents are the same.

However, it generally works better with a higher defensive line - either inherent in the Mentality used, or via a Push Higher Up TI in a "lower" Mentality.

So by me using a counter mentality with a push higher team instruction then hassle opponents would be ideal to use to try win ball back as quickly as possible? I feel I'm close to creating my dream tactic and this is the final piece of the puzzle.

So by me using a counter mentality with a push higher team instruction then hassle opponents would be ideal to use to try win ball back as quickly as possible? I feel I'm close to creating my dream tactic and this is the final piece of the puzzle.

It would push your defensive line up to around the defensive line of Standard.

I'm not sure about "ideal", but arguably better than just using the default counter defensive line.

It would push your defensive line up to around the defensive line of Standard.

I'm not sure about "ideal", but arguably better than just using the default counter defensive line.

So using a much higher defensive line would be a better option. Food for though.

Let's talk set pieces, because no thread has really answered this that I can see.

So long as I use near post service and have a guy attacking the near post, I will score a lot off corners. Doesn't much matter if my team has Peter Crouch on steroids or if it is North Korea.

Conversely, I can't stop conceding on corners where my opponent does the same thing.

How can I stop conceding on near post corners? Is it even possible in this match engine, or is it something I need to live with (along the lines of conceding on free kicks when my team refuse to form a wall for whatever reason).

Hi. On the match stats screen, the passes - defence, passes - midfield and passes - attack percentages. Are they calculated for the players positions on the formation screen ie defenders in the defence or for the actual parts of the pitch they make in ie defenders in the attacking third?

Cheers

Daz

Hi. On the match stats screen, the passes - defence, passes - midfield and passes - attack percentages. Are they calculated for the players positions on the formation screen ie defenders in the defence or for the actual parts of the pitch they make in ie defenders in the attacking third?

Cheers

Daz

Parts of the pitch.

A quick question about the wide target man role: if you use a normal target man, your wide players are more likely to cross to them. If you use a wide target man, is the opposite winger more likely to cross to him, or to cross to the striker(s)? If it helps, I'm specifically thinking of a 4-5-1, with a winger one side, wide target man on the other and a DLF (S) in the middle.

Question time! I 've been trying to do the "first reach the byline, THEN cut in" thingy, but have not been able to. My wingers and forwards are of poor quality, so I don't know if my failure is down to my instructions or my players. Has anyone been doing that consistently? With what instructions?

A quick question about the wide target man role: if you use a normal target man, your wide players are more likely to cross to them. If you use a wide target man, is the opposite winger more likely to cross to him, or to cross to the striker(s)? If it helps, I'm specifically thinking of a 4-5-1, with a winger one side, wide target man on the other and a DLF (S) in the middle.

All players look to use him more. Your other wing might but remember that the distance between them doesn't always make it a suitable option as he'd have to switch play to the opposite flank which can be quite technical to pull off depending on the situation.

Question time! I 've been trying to do the "first reach the byline, THEN cut in" thingy, but have not been able to. My wingers and forwards are of poor quality, so I don't know if my failure is down to my instructions or my players. Has anyone been doing that consistently? With what instructions?

Reaching the byline then cutting in is quite hard to do because the byline is the end of the pitch and there really isn't any kind of space for someone to cut inside into unless there are no defenders for some reason which is highly unlikely. If someone reaches the byline then tries to cut in and he has a marker, where realistically can he go? He can't go anywhere, he's have to either start running away from goal or towards the touchline, both actions away from the goal.

Reaching the byline then cutting in is quite hard to do because the byline is the end of the pitch and there really isn't any kind of space for someone to cut inside into unless there are no defenders for some reason which is highly unlikely. If someone reaches the byline then tries to cut in and he has a marker, where realistically can he go? He can't go anywhere, he's have to either start running away from goal or towards the touchline, both actions away from the goal.

I want him to reach the byline and then (only then) try to dribble his way in. I saw Robben and Christodoulopoulos (Greece) do it yesterday and I was inspired. I also remember seeing AI do it against me once, but of course I don't know what instructions AI was using. But at least it shows that it is possible within the ME.

I want him to reach the byline and then (only then) try to dribble his way in. I saw Robben and Christodoulopoulos (Greece) do it yesterday and I was inspired. I also remember seeing AI do it against me once, but of course I don't know what instructions AI was using. But at least it shows that it is possible within the ME.

It's down to the players attributes. But you can't recreate it often for the reasons mentioned in my post. You need a selfish type of player with good technique, dribbling, flair and aggression imo. Also having a low creativity attribute will help as he won't be able to see all his available options, so it can encourage him to dribble more if he isn't aware of his surroundings and will make him less inclined to pass:)

Might be a silly broad questions, but i always struggle when playing as a favorite. Give me a poor team and underdog, i do ok. Any time im favorite, im *****. This can be with any type of team

Example was playing as Napoli, pre season was fine. Come to the cup game against a c1 team i think and lost 3-0. Just get smoked on the counter

https://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/960x768q90/855/0od1.png

idea in this tactic is to play short passing game in advanced positions and direct from the back, also idea was to be strong at the back and there is the problem. In first competitive year i won every single game with Tunis but i concede in every game...for upcoming World cup i need to improve this segment...so advices ?

idea in this tactic is to play short passing game in advanced positions and direct from the back, also idea was to be strong at the back and there is the problem. In first competitive year i won every single game with Tunis but i concede in every game...for upcoming World cup i need to improve this segment...so advices ?

Your tactic looks like one designed to be an all-out attack, not solid from the back. I had a similar tactic in the past, and it worked much better once I made my full backs into a Full Back - Support duty. The half back isn't really enough to cover for bombing wing backs.

What do you lot do with Jekyll and Hyde performances? I'm 3rd in the League and played 17th placed Blackburn. Started with a new 532 standard/balanced formation as I just can't seem to defend with a back 4 and was 2-0 up within 15 minutes with some beautiful football. They were out of it, gone, I should have been four up. Second half it was if they had changed an entire 11 and my lot couldn't close down and tackle for toffee. They got one back and I was trying counter, defensive anything to try and hold the ball but they just kept coming. From having no shots on goal first half they ended up with 20 on goal with 8 on target whereas whilst I had 7 on target first half I only managed one more. I know it can happen IRL but in FM these turn of fortunes seem extreme in the least at times and don't seem to take into account an AI teams morale when they are struggling with relegation fears and two down against a team in 3rd. It seems that nothing you do seems to counteract their sudden display of fantasy football!!

Let's talk set pieces, because no thread has really answered this that I can see.

So long as I use near post service and have a guy attacking the near post, I will score a lot off corners. Doesn't much matter if my team has Peter Crouch on steroids or if it is North Korea.

Conversely, I can't stop conceding on corners where my opponent does the same thing.

How can I stop conceding on near post corners? Is it even possible in this match engine, or is it something I need to live with (along the lines of conceding on free kicks when my team refuse to form a wall for whatever reason).

I wanted to follow up on this for anyone paying attention, because I think I solved it - conceded only once on a corner in a full season, and that was a beautiful and unlikely flick on to smash shot combo.

The key seemed to be only marking the near post, making sure to have someone marking the 6 yard box, then mixing man marking and zonal marking. This had the practical effect of double-teaming the guy attacking the near post, and generally flooding the box. Now, most corners are cleared safely on my saves.

All your players have short passing at the back. I would change both CB's to limited defenders, so they would send long passes/clearances right when they receive the ball.

Another silly question!! Are playmakers any good really? I ask because I have Tom Huddlestone and Mark Noble who have excellent creativity and passing stats but I just cannot get them playing well. Tried DLP S, DLP D, AP S all sorts. In fact I actually wonder if a DLP D in the DM slot is much use at all because according to the advice he rarely gets involved in attacks which seems a bit pointless for a playmaker. I'm actually thinking of trying them at Anchor Man adding various passing PPM's. So has anyone really had any success with a playmaker of any kind?

Another silly question!! Are playmakers any good really? I ask because I have Tom Huddlestone and Mark Noble who have excellent creativity and passing stats but I just cannot get them playing well. Tried DLP S, DLP D, AP S all sorts. In fact I actually wonder if a DLP D in the DM slot is much use at all because according to the advice he rarely gets involved in attacks which seems a bit pointless for a playmaker. I'm actually thinking of trying them at Anchor Man adding various passing PPM's. So has anyone really had any success with a playmaker of any kind?

I had a DLP(D) in the CM slot paired with a BBM, to give defensive protection, and a good passing outlet. He will also drop a bit deeper to get the ball off of the defenders. I've not really seen him have high match ratings(unlike the BBM) but I think he is still doing a good job when I watch his play in the highlights.

Also, I have recently changed my AML from an inside forward(S) to an AP(A) and with the right player(Coutinho for me), I get many assists and even Plaher of Match awards.

The bold bit is a bit of a strange observation.

A playmaker is a playmaker, he starts the move, he doesn't finish it. A Defend Duty is a Defend Duty - he isn't supposed to get involved in attacks.

In my experience, a playmaker works fine. He noticeably receives more of the ball and keeps the game flowing, and that is all I want from him.

I had a DLP(D) in the CM slot paired with a BBM, to give defensive protection, and a good passing outlet. He will also drop a bit deeper to get the ball off of the defenders. I've not really seen him have high match ratings(unlike the BBM) but I think he is still doing a good job when I watch his play in the highlights.

Also, I have recently changed my AML from an inside forward(S) to an AP(A) and with the right player(Coutinho for me), I get many assists and even Plaher of Match awards.

I have an AP(A) in midfield. He is great as long as he is not marked out of the game. Due to some aggressive PPMs I have given him (gets forward/moves into channels/shoots with power -the original plan was to make him a striker), he often both starts and finishes the moves!

Not everything is rosy though. The opponents usually man-mark him and sometimes succeed in eliminating him. In such cases I change him to CM(A), as he just loses the ball all the time otherwise. But, to answer the original question, yes, playmakers can be difference makers.

Hi, I'm Juve and I'm pretty flexible with my formations (4-1-3-2, 3-5-2Servia, 4-4-2flat) and strategies (control, counter direct, counter short slow).

Still I struggle to create space and beat formations with 3 cbs. Remember this year Totti playing F9 against Inter and owning them, anyways tips welcomed, feel

stuck

Do i need to hire a HoYD when my ass.coach can handle the youth intake ? (Staff Responsibilities : - Youth Development => Brings youth players into the club and informs you of their development ... my ass.coach does this )

Only, i can't use him for training my youths but all the rest... he can do it perfectly !

I want help with two things:

1. I want a more sensible press than what hassle opponents gives you. With that shout I feel my players go absolutely bonkers and totally ignores their positional duties, leaving big gaps behind them. I want my players to have a high initial press, but if the opponent can pass through my press I want to have more positioning play and force the opponent out wide where my wing players can take care of them.
  2. I heard that you can make your WM(A) play like IF(A), but with more defensive effort. How do you get them to play like that? I play a 4-1-4-1 with two WM(A). I tried to use cut inside and sit narrower, but I still feel they play like wingers, going down the by-line to cross at my single striker who's not really good in the air.

I want help with two things:

I heard that you can make your WM(A) play like IF(A), but with more defensive effort. How do you get them to play like that? I play a 4-1-4-1 with two WM(A). I tried to use cut inside and sit narrower, but I still feel they play like wingers, going down the by-line to cross at my single striker who's not really good in the air.

One way to do it is to use IF's personal instructions + get further forward.

As someone who switched from 4-1DM-2-2-1 to 4-1-4-1, my main interest is for my WM(A) (I only use one) to receive through balls from my creative lone striker. In order to achieve that, I do the following:

- Set WM(A) on get further forward + sit narrower.

- The WM(A)'s good foot should the one that would help him cut inside. E.g., if he plays on the right, his good foot should be the left one.

- The lone striker's good foot should be the one that would help him pass best towards the WM(A)'s side of the field. E.g., if the WM(A) is on the right, the striker's good foot should be the right one.

- I also find that it helps if my central midfielders stay out of my WM(A)'s way. So I usually use a DLP on that side of central midfield. Also, a WB on the same side can move up the field and stretch the opposition's defense when you are in an attacking mood.

On average (depending on player), the defensive effort of my WM(A) is much better than the IF(A)'s, but his attacking output is a bit worse. Still good enough to keep 4-1-4-1 though.

Can a goalkeeper's aerial ability improve or is it a "fixed" attribute? I ask because I've found a great young keeper that I want to sign but his aerial ability is only 10, yet weirdly he is 6'4 with a jumping reach of 18. I thought I had read on here that AA was essentially a keeper's arm/hand reach? I guess this guy just has short arms like a T-Rex? :D

I just have a quick question about a certain tactical aspect, I'm wondering whether it is possible to make a winger, in a flat 4-4-2, the target man of the team? I ask because in last year's games I had a lot of success at Spurs with Bale in the left midfield position, in a flat 4-4-2, set as target man with supply pass to feet. With the ball at his feet he would just run, and run, and run, causing the opposition problems.

How the hell does one deal with the 4231 Denmark? It's just silly, really. The front 4 and midfield puts my defence under insane pressure and I simply cannot build from the back. CBs and FBs alike keep punting the ball forward aimlessly, or even worse clearing it towards the sidelines. I have defenders with great composure and generally good passing and vision and yet they just hoof it aimlessly... I've tried playing a shorter game, I've tried going more direct, but it's the same every time. It doesn't help that the GK distribution is generally horrendous on the game.

Also, the front 4 is insane in possession as well. They keep making brilliant runs all game long totally bamboozling and bypassing my defenders. I have found AMR/Ls are simply impossible to mark effectively. I tried doubling up on them by using WMs on specific marking, I've tried cutting out the supply, but then the AMC will run riot instead.

I could try playing deep, putting everyone behind the ball, essentially parking the bus and hope for the best... But that's just asking for a 90th minute lucky corner goal really...

I'm really out of ideas at the moment.

How the hell does one deal with the 4231 Denmark? It's just silly, really. The front 4 and midfield puts my defence under insane pressure and I simply cannot build from the back. CBs and FBs alike keep punting the ball forward aimlessly, or even worse clearing it towards the sidelines. I have defenders with great composure and generally good passing and vision and yet they just hoof it aimlessly... I've tried playing a shorter game, I've tried going more direct, but it's the same every time. It doesn't help that the GK distribution is generally horrendous on the game.

Also, the front 4 is insane in possession as well. They keep making brilliant runs all game long totally bamboozling and bypassing my defenders. I have found AMR/Ls are simply impossible to mark effectively. I tried doubling up on them by using WMs on specific marking, I've tried cutting out the supply, but then the AMC will run riot instead.

I could try playing deep, putting everyone behind the ball, essentially parking the bus and hope for the best... But that's just asking for a 90th minute lucky corner goal really...

I'm really out of ideas at the moment.

What formation and roles are you using? By the sounds of it, you need one of your midfielders to come deep and offer a passing option to take some of the pressure off your backline. A Half-back will drop in between the two CBs when your team has possession which I think would help, but a regista or a DLP would probably work too

What should I look for when deciding how many weeks to have in the pre season? The only downside I can think of about having the maximum time possible is the risk of injuries in training.

If you want to use pre-season to get Tactic Familiarity up, then just allow yourself enough time to squeeze in the friendlies necessary to do that.

Read this:

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/375145-The-Santos-Project-Tactical-and-Player-Development?p=9225115&viewfull=1#post9225115

I just have a quick question about a certain tactical aspect, I'm wondering whether it is possible to make a winger, in a flat 4-4-2, the target man of the team? I ask because in last year's games I had a lot of success at Spurs with Bale in the left midfield position, in a flat 4-4-2, set as target man with supply pass to feet. With the ball at his feet he would just run, and run, and run, causing the opposition problems.

Not exactly. The closest you can do to this is either use an Advanced Playmaker at AML/R )i.e. not a Winger, so probably too much of a compromise!), or Exploit The X Flank in order to direct play towards a certain player.

You mention a few changes that you've made, but what is your core set up?

I've tried using a 4-1-4-1 and a 4-4-1-1 most recently.

The problem with the latter is that it has no DMC and the opposition AM will simply run riot. The former is somewhat better but only if my sole intention is killing the oppo's game. But that's a very dangerous tactic, inviting pressure all game long whilst not attempting to play any meaningful football on my part. I'd prefer not to resort to that.

Either way, FBs are completely useless for me in defense (they can't track runs or mark someone to save their lives, and concede corners relentlessly) and will need extra protection from the WMs. Unless I assign my WMs to specifically man mark the oppo AML/Rs, I'm going to get beaten badly.

Should I try going with a back 3 or 5 with wingbacks or something of the sort?

The former is somewhat better but only if my sole intention is killing the oppo's game. But that's a very dangerous tactic, inviting pressure all game long whilst not attempting to play any meaningful football on my part. I'd prefer not to resort to that.

I don't agree with this at all.

In my view, you can make any formation very attacking, very defensive or very neutral.

A 4-1-4-1 on paper might appear defensive, but actually it can be very aggressive and far from inviting pressure, it can dictate a match.

I don't agree with this at all.

In my view, you can make any formation very attacking, very defensive or very neutral.

A 4-1-4-1 on paper might appear defensive, but actually it can be very aggressive and far from inviting pressure, it can dictate a match.

I agree with this :thup: