Quickfire Questions and Answers Thread (Tactic and Training Questions Only)

• Replies 17.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have another stupid question:

During a match, I set some of my players to specifically man-mark players from oppositions, for example my front 4 marking the midfield 4. My question is. under that circumstances, would my front 4 still man-mark the midfield 4 when defending a corner or free kick? Because I notice a large fraction of the goals conceded are from set-pieces.

I didn't realise you could see your team's familiarity with the current tactics during a game - how do you do that?

Sorry for late reply, noticed this just now.

If you go to the tactics screen during match and make your changes there, you can see how the familiarity changes.

I have a question about passing styles.

It seems that the only style i can get to work is "Shorter passing".

If i try to set "Direct passing" or leave the team instruction out (meaning going with the passing style tied to mentality), it just doesn't work, we can't build any attacks, but lose the ball due to poor passing.

Is it maybe so that other passing styles than short are more demanding regarding to tactical familiarity? Or am i missing something else?

Latest example:

In my tactics advice needed thread, on the last post, i have three tactics. One of them is counter.

I would assume that by default counter has somewhat direct passing style, so initially i didn't set anything on team instructions.

First match i tried it, it wasn't working at all. After the match i added "Shorter passing" instruction to the tactic (didn't change anything else) and in the next match it was working a whole lot better.

@Sussex Hammer

1. Not quite sure what you mean. If you only want an overlap on one side, then an attack Duty full back . wing back behind a support Duty IF will do it.

If on the other side you have an attacking winger, you should really only have a supporting Role behind, and they are unlikely to overlap.

To prohibit it altogether, try a defend Duty at the back.

2. Haven't noticed, but I use FMC and ignore training.

3. Automatic duties have their actual Duty set to Defend, Support or Attack depending on the Mentality you set at team level. It is relevant if you switch Mentality a lot in games, even then, seems like a bit of a weird option to me.

Cheers for that.

1. Yep sounds logical to me, shows what a newbie I am with the TC.

2. anyone????

3. Yep again logical. Seems a fairly useless option to have in a lot of ways. I guess arguably you could have GK and Centre Backs on defend and the entire rest of the team on automatic IRL!!

Any advice on tactics/formations for matches you're hopelessly outmatched for (Greek club with 2k attendance vs Feyenoord)? The balance between having a credible threat and getting boshed 6-0 is beyond me. Normally I played with advanced wingers in the AM line, but that might be suicide. My best player is the quintessential target man so I figure that might be something to work with.

what attributes are key in ensuring players listen to your tactical plan

The most tactically disciplined players will have good Work Rate/Decisions/Concentration/Composure as well as moderate Flair and Aggression. There are also numerous hidden attributes like Professionalism and Pressure-handling that determine how players respond in different circumstances.

I have another stupid question:

During a match, I set some of my players to specifically man-mark players from oppositions, for example my front 4 marking the midfield 4. My question is. under that circumstances, would my front 4 still man-mark the midfield 4 when defending a corner or free kick? Because I notice a large fraction of the goals conceded are from set-pieces.

Set piece marking instructions are separate from open play instructions, but it could be affecting things once you transition from set pieces. You might want to take a close look at some goal highlights and see if you notice anything that's not supposed to be happening.

I have a question regarding duty positioning on the field.

tactic_zpsaf1f428f.png

I was thinking about swapping the LB to attack and the RB to support, is this wise with the AP on that side?

It shouldn't make any difference defensively. You could probably get away with putting both fullbacks on an attack duty if you wanted.

Any advice on tactics/formations for matches you're hopelessly outmatched for (Greek club with 2k attendance vs Feyenoord)? The balance between having a credible threat and getting boshed 6-0 is beyond me. Normally I played with advanced wingers in the AM line, but that might be suicide. My best player is the quintessential target man so I figure that might be something to work with.

AM players are basically forwards. You'll definitely want to get numbers back in midfield. 4-1-4-1 and flat 4-5-1 are very strong defensively without really sacrificing any potency in attack.

I have a question about passing styles.

It seems that the only style i can get to work is "Shorter passing".

If i try to set "Direct passing" or leave the team instruction out (meaning going with the passing style tied to mentality), it just doesn't work, we can't build any attacks, but lose the ball due to poor passing.

Is it maybe so that other passing styles than short are more demanding regarding to tactical familiarity? Or am i missing something else?

Latest example:

In my tactics advice needed thread, on the last post, i have three tactics. One of them is counter.

I would assume that by default counter has somewhat direct passing style, so initially i didn't set anything on team instructions.

First match i tried it, it wasn't working at all. After the match i added "Shorter passing" instruction to the tactic (didn't change anything else) and in the next match it was working a whole lot better.

The passing style TIs slightly modify the default passing style for the team mentality. The defaults are basically:

Contain to Counter = Direct on defend duty, mixed on support duty, short on attack duty

Standard = everyone around mixed

Control to Overload = Short on defend duty, mixed on support duty, direct on attack duty

The passing style TIs don't massively change any of these. They just make everyone a little more or less direct.

However, they also change playing tempo, so by going more direct, you are also asking players to play faster which will definitely cause more errors as players have to make decisions more quickly. You can offset this by using the lower/high tempo TIs.

I know it's difficult to improve a player's jumping reach, but how about heading ability?

I ask this because I have a regen DM who is tall (185cm) with good jumping, but with only 7 heading. He has good personality, and his other attributes improves considerably throughout the past two years but not his heading. His composure, tackling, marking, strength has increased from tens to fifteens, yet his heading just improved from 6 to 7. I have been forcing his training focus to heading every other 3 months.

I know it's difficult to improve a player's jumping reach, but how about heading ability?

I ask this because I have a regen DM who is tall (185cm) with good jumping, but with only 7 heading. He has good personality, and his other attributes improves considerably throughout the past two years but not his heading. His composure, tackling, marking, strength has increased from tens to fifteens, yet his heading just improved from 6 to 7. I have been forcing his training focus to heading every other 3 months.

The baseline rate at which an attribute naturally improves is mainly determined by a player's positional familiarity, so in the case of heading, it's not going to be something that improves a lot for a DM unless he's also got a lot of familiarity at DC or ST. You'll need to keep his training focus on heading to get it up consistently.

The baseline rate at which an attribute naturally improves is mainly determined by a player's positional familiarity, so in the case of heading, it's not going to be something that improves a lot for a DM unless he's also got a lot of familiarity at DC or ST. You'll need to keep his training focus on heading to get it up consistently.

Thanks for clarification. I wanted him to be a good anchor man but given his heading stat I'd probably change him as a genuine DM. I was on the verge of giving up training his heading anyway.

What role is best for central midfielder (+ possible player instructions), if i want him to drop deeper to give additional cover for defense, but still participate on midfield duty also?

In my current tactic i first had CM(D), but wasn't completely happy. Now i have DLP(D), but i can't be sure which one is better or would something else be even better?

I don't want this guy to go too high up when attacking, but i don't want to use real DM in this formation.

What role is best for central midfielder (+ possible player instructions), if i want him to drop deeper to give additional cover for defense, but still participate on midfield duty also?

In my current tactic i first had CM(D), but wasn't completely happy. Now i have DLP(D), but i can't be sure which one is better or would something else be even better?

I don't want this guy to go too high up when attacking, but i don't want to use real DM in this formation.

What do you mean by "participate on midfield duty?"

Does pass into space conflict with shorter passing? I've read that it encourages more through balls but whenever I use both of the shouts it seems to have little to no effect on the match

No. "Through Balls" as defined by FM refers to any pass to a teammate that is aimed beyond the teammate's marker, so it doesn't just mean balls played behind the defence.

Less risky passes, then, means a player will wait for teammates to drop back and make themselves available while more risky passes will see him passing into spaces between defenders whether at short or long range.

No. "Through Balls" as defined by FM refers to any pass to a teammate that is aimed beyond the teammate's marker, so it doesn't just mean balls played behind the defence.

Less risky passes, then, means a player will wait for teammates to drop back and make themselves available while more risky passes will see him passing into spaces between defenders whether at short or long range.

Thank you

Does anyone know how the game calculates pass percentage? This is potentially the dumbest question ever but let me explain..

Playing a match right now, and we've got 52% possession, okay. Then I see in the match stats we've got: passes completed: 84%, passes-defense: 64% but all of my defenders have passing completion ratios of well over 80%. How can the total defensive percentage be lower than what they're all getting individually? My keeper is like.. 2 out of 5 which is insignificant.

I've got one striker in this formation, who is passing at ~78 percent, yet my "passes-attacking" is well over 80%.

What gives ?

I could be wrong here, but I've thought in passing that it's talking about passes in either half of the pitch. If passes-defense are passes done in your own half, then your keeper's 2/5 will loom a bit larger. Then again, it might mean something completely different, but that's what I've taken it to mean.

I could be wrong here, but I've thought in passing that it's talking about passes in either half of the pitch. If passes-defense are passes done in your own half, then your keeper's 2/5 will loom a bit larger. Then again, it might mean something completely different, but that's what I've taken it to mean.

Is there anything on SI's end that could confirm what those match stats actually mean? It's really silly that "passes-defense" wouldnt = the passing percentage of your defenders.

Does anyone know how the game calculates pass percentage? This is potentially the dumbest question ever but let me explain..

Playing a match right now, and we've got 52% possession, okay. Then I see in the match stats we've got: passes completed: 84%, passes-defense: 64% but all of my defenders have passing completion ratios of well over 80%. How can the total defensive percentage be lower than what they're all getting individually? My keeper is like.. 2 out of 5 which is insignificant.

I've got one striker in this formation, who is passing at ~78 percent, yet my "passes-attacking" is well over 80%.

What gives ?

Your keepers stats are what's dragging it down, 2 out of 5 isn't insignificant at all and is a pretty big deal because that's only 40%. So it drags the average down a lot for the defence as the keeper is included in this.

What do you mean by "participate on midfield duty?"

What i tried to say is that when defending, he would drop as deep as player in DM position would, but when attacking, he would be higher than defenders, giving a recycling option a bit lower on the field.

Based on what i have seen so far, i think the DLP(D) might be doing just that.

One of formations I'm considering to try is 4-2-3-1 narrow. What would be the biggest difference between playing the '2' in DM or MC strata? I like more the idea of first, however I'm slightly afraid there might be a big gap between DM and AM?

FVwWSgg.jpg

Any advice? Balotelli simply doesn't score. He have 2-3 ccc's per match, but just can't get it on target. And I'm not happy with Kaka either. First tried with Kaka on SS and Balo as DLF, then with Kaka on Att.MF attack and Balo as poacher, tried Balo on adv. forward but nothing helps.

Every advice regarding PI and TI are appreciated.

DLP(D) plays VERY deep in my opinion (almost next to defenders on defence). I prefer DLP(S). The player still defends quite deep, but is 'IN MIDFIELD' when we have the ball. I only have 2 center mids so need them a little closer together in possession :)

Your keepers stats are what's dragging it down, 2 out of 5 isn't insignificant at all and is a pretty big deal because that's only 40%. So it drags the average down a lot for the defence as the keeper is included in this.

Cleon,

This was my initial suspicion. However, I calculated the averages for my players and this doesn't work out. For example, my striker had 78% passes completed at the time, but in the match stats it shows "passes - attack" at like 88% and he is a lone striker.

Also tried this with my defenders. Even if I took all 5 (gk + 4 men) percentages and then averaged them I still didn't get the right number, which is being displayed in match stats.

Basically, I can't figure out how it's being calculated.

I'm interested in what this actually is as well- Bababooey (Shout out to Howard Stern!), remember that in your formation, which I gleaned from you "About the Space, Man!" thread, the two Dm's will be considered defenders, and your advanced Midfielders as attackers. Factor them in and see how your numbers come out.

I'm interested in what this actually is as well- Bababooey (Shout out to Howard Stern!), remember that in your formation, which I gleaned from you "About the Space, Man!" thread, the two Dm's will be considered defenders, and your advanced Midfielders as attackers. Factor them in and see how your numbers come out.

Right. The problem is that they also had 88% + passing completion. Even if I factor in the goalkeeper who, at the time, had "40%" (2/5) + the DM's and the LB/RB/CB/CB it still doesn't add up properly.

The game was telling me "68% passes - defense"

I should also add that the player's individual passing completion ratios are being done properly. No issues there.

the overall team passing completion percentage is also accurate and on target.

Right. The problem is that they also had 88% + passing completion. Even if I factor in the goalkeeper who, at the time, had "40%" (2/5) + the DM's and the LB/RB/CB/CB it still doesn't add up properly.

The game was telling me "68% passes - defense"

I should also add that the player's individual passing completion ratios are being done properly. No issues there.

the overall team passing completion percentage is also accurate and on target.

Can you post screenshot of the defence stats and the match stat for the passing % of the defence please.

Hi Everyone

One thing regarding training, I cant find the answer to:

What intensity of the general/match training to choose.

If I understand this correctly, if I set the general/match training to minimum, the most stat increase will be due to individual role or attribute training and not the general training. This would help me shape my players more to my likings eg. minimum tackling training for my offensive players. I know, that the overall CA gain will be lower that when I put the general training to average or higher but the CA will be put into stats I care about.

Does it work this way or am I totaly wrong here?

Cheers.

Hi Everyone

One thing regarding training, I cant find the answer to:

What intensity of the general/match training to choose.

If I understand this correctly, if I set the general/match training to minimum, the most stat increase will be due to individual role or attribute training and not the general training. This would help me shape my players more to my likings eg. minimum tackling training for my offensive players. I know, that the overall CA gain will be lower that when I put the general training to average or higher but the CA will be put into stats I care about.

Does it work this way or am I totaly wrong here?

Cheers.

Correct - less match training means more attribute training - but less temporary boosts for specific areas.

Hi all. Not sure where best to place this so thought here might be good. I'm sure we've all had these scenarios and I'm just curious how you folks manage to turn round games where everything seems to be going well except for putting the ball in the net.

Take a recent game of mine, 30 mins in, I'm 1-0 down and they have had 3 CCC - not good. The opposition forward is quick and getting to much space in behind my CB so I drop the defensive line and put some opposition instructions on to close him down. The opposition have exactly 0 more chances in the match as I've taken their main threat out of the game. I then contrive to hit every single chance and half chance I create over the bar or straight at the keeper. Tactically I think I've got it sorted defensively but I'm struggling to turn tactical superiority into victory. Any recommendations?

I'm struggling with my defense. My defenders can't seem to mark anyone(Balenta 19 marking and Colo 17), they either close down and leave space behind them and or they don't do it and fail marking and giving away a chance for opposition striker. What can I do? I play with a much higher defensive line and hassle opponents. I know this can cause problems but my defenders are just failing me every game.

Any ideas on how to get your fullbacks to track the opposing team's wingers better? I tend to concede a lot of CCCs by the lone striker receiving a pass in front of the defence, then turn and play a through ball between my centre half and fullback where a winger has run past my oblivious fullback.

I play with 'More Disciplined' as a tactical instruction yet have a couple of players i want to give more 'creative freedom' to, how do i go about doing that?

Put them in Roles where "More Risky Passes" is applied by default, or can be applied as a Player Instruction.

Then think about what you deem to be "Creative Freedom" - you might want to find Roles where you can instruct players to Roam From Position etc.

Any ideas on how to get your fullbacks to track the opposing team's wingers better? I tend to concede a lot of CCCs by the lone striker receiving a pass in front of the defence, then turn and play a through ball between my centre half and fullback where a winger has run past my oblivious fullback.

What is the rest of your set up?

It might be that the issue isn't necessarily the full backs, but rather a lack of defensive cover across your midfield.

Forgot to quote post, thats in regards to RTHerringbone's reply.

The players in question are my F9 & CM(a) i have put the latter on 'Roam From Position' I haven't got the game loaded up at the moment does the F9 have 'More Risky Passes' set at default?

or what other role could i play him in, his main role in my side is i am wanting him to drop deep and hold up the ball and link up play, Treq perhaps?