Quickfire Questions and Answers Thread (Tactic and Training Questions Only)

• Replies 17.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi im new to FM and wanted to ask if players can adopt a new tactical role or are they stuck to their special role given at game start?
They can learn new positions, yes. Go to the individual training screen to start training new positions.

A couple of quick questions, where can I see a full League Table that shows home and away stats and where can I find the team compare page to see how I line up against other teams in the League?

Thanks

For the league table you go to League >> Stages

For the comparison you go Squad > Report > Comparison

The one thing that is confusing me is match prep.

Once the tactic is Fluid is 10% enough?

Do you get a bigger boost if you have it at like 30%?

How is everyone else approaching it?

I thought a bit of the same. How do you quickly get the team to learn the new tactic. Has general training any effect here? And what about the number of friendlies in pre-season?

I usually put match training = only Tactics

Scheduling = more match training

General training = Team Cohesion (high)

Often I am in ultimo October before the team know the tactic 100%

Any advice for me ?

I thought a bit of the same. How do you quickly get the team to learn the new tactic. Has general training any effect here? And what about the number of friendlies in pre-season?

I usually put match training = only Tactics

Scheduling = more match training

General training = Team Cohesion (high)

But often seems that I come all the way to the final in October before they can lining 100%

Any advice for me ?

The fastest way to learn tactics is on Tactics Only 50%.

Thats the quickest way you'll learn them.

It seems to take longer this year though.

Is Cuts Inside PPM necessary for an IF(A)? I ask because they're by default going to cut inside a lot anyways, and maybe some games I might want to try to change him to a Winger for tactical reasons. Asking specifically regarding Eden Hazard as he has two good feet.

Secondly,

How do you handle players who get nervous frequently? Do you praise them for mediocre performances? (Did Well for a 7) Do you say No Pressure pregame?

Lastly, I want to try to generate space for inside forwards to cut into with a 4231 wide. I'm envisioning a TQ at AMC roaming wide while the STR comes deep and drags defenders to him, opening up space for angled through balls into the inside forwards. Would this actually work or would it result in my AMC and ST standing on top of each other? What role is best for the STR in this case, F9 or DLF?

The fastest way to learn tactics is on Tactics Only 50%.

Thats the quickest way you'll learn them.

It seems to take longer this year though.

Thanks. much appreciated

If I set the match training to tactics only and have scheduling on more match traning.

Will this give the 50%?

Is goalkeeper distribution completely broken for anyone else? My keeper is averaging 47% pass completion in the league, which is ridiculous.

"Distribute to defenders" is his individual instruction, anything else I can do to try and improve it?

Is goalkeeper distribution completely broken for anyone else? My keeper is averaging 47% pass completion in the league, which is ridiculous.

"Distribute to defenders" is his individual instruction, anything else I can do to try and improve it?

It's a known issue which is still being fixed.

For me, it is a combination of the opposition shape, defensive line, and the risk taking of the keeper.

I've found that my Standard Mentality gives the AI too much space, and their keeper can easily distribute safely to his defenders.

This likelihood of them finding a defender is increased because I play a 4-4-1-1, so my wide midfielders in the MC line aren't pressing the opposition full backs enough.

Conversely, I face a lot of 4-2-3-1s with a highish line, which pins my full backs and their lone striker "occupies" my DCs.

Even though there seems to be some opportunity for my keeper to pass to these guys, he seems reluctant to do so if anyone is within 10 yards of them, so he belts it.

This is actually my second biggest issue with the current ME, second only to the wide defensive issues.

It's a known issue which is still being fixed.

For me, it is a combination of the opposition shape, defensive line, and the risk taking of the keeper.

I've found that my Standard Mentality gives the AI too much space, and their keeper can easily distribute safely to his defenders.

This likelihood of them finding a defender is increased because I play a 4-4-1-1, so my wide midfielders in the MC line aren't pressing the opposition full backs enough.

Conversely, I face a lot of 4-2-3-1s with a highish line, which pins my full backs and their lone striker "occupies" my DCs.

Even though there seems to be some opportunity for my keeper to pass to these guys, he seems reluctant to do so if anyone is within 10 yards of them, so he belts it.

This is actually my second biggest issue with the current ME, second only to the wide defensive issues.

Very perceptive, you're absolutely right about high line 4-2-3-1s making it more difficult than a 4-4-2.

You also seem to be right about it being a "risk" issue, I seem to have improved distribution a bit by making a few changes. I changed my goalkeeper to a sweeper keeper attack with the instructions "distribute to defenders" and "shorter passing." The instructions coupled with his higher mentality and creative freedom (due to his role) seem to have improved distribution, it allows him to take more risks and distributes more often to defenders even if there is an opposition player a bit close to them.

I seem to have improved distribution a bit by making a few changes. I changed my goalkeeper to a sweeper keeper attack with the instructions "distribute to defenders" and "shorter passing." The instructions coupled with his higher mentality and creative freedom (due to his role) seem to have improved distribution, it allows him to take more risks and distributes more often to defenders even if there is an opposition player a bit close to them.

That's a good shout - I'll have a go with a Sweeper Keeper myself.

As I said, SI are looking into this specific issue, so hopefully we'll see some progress soon.

I play with a formation with 3 central midfielders. Is the tactic flawed that I set 2 of the midfielders as box to box (both support) and the other as ball winning (defend)?

Thanks

It will probably expose your defence a lot, there is nobody staying back to protect the CBs.

Have a look at this thread for ideas on how to set up your midfield roles :)http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/362894-Pairs-amp-Combinations-Part-1-Central-Midfielders

I'm not seeing many through balls like in Football Manager 2013, so I was wondering is it because of my instructions or have they been toned down?

Anyway what passing setting do I choose If I want for exaample my Deep Lying Forward (Support) to play through balls to my Advanced Forward given that they make the partnership in my attack? Do I choose More Direct Passing, Shorter Passing or something else? At the moment it's set to More Direct Passing, but I'm not getting the desired effect like I did in Football Manager 2013.

More wide play and crossing?

Eh I've tried that and often times the other team is able to just head the ball away. I managed a 1-1 draw with my Inter save just now, against Cagliari. Only goal we scored was off a throw in, their defense was a bit out of position. They scored on a simple 1-2 pass from striker to striker. Ridiculous.

I have this young regen with a PA of 180. He is 19 now, and I have Goran Pandev tutoring him at the moment. I'm trying to play him at every opportunity with the first team. Is there anyway that I could burn him out?

Not 100% sure, but if he is 19 I can't believe he isn't ready yet. I would expect the burn out thing to be more about 16/17 year olds.

I'm not seeing many through balls like in Football Manager 2013, so I was wondering is it because of my instructions or have they been toned down?.

I'm wondering if that is a knock on from the fullback issue. If they are playing more narrow there will be less space for player’s to run into, and for others to try and play them in

What are the main differences between how an Advanced Forward and a Poacher play ? I only use one striker and he is currently set to an Advanced Forward, however I have signed on loan a guy who is much better as a poacher. Will changing to a poacher drastically change anything ?

What are the main differences between how an Advanced Forward and a Poacher play ? I only use one striker and he is currently set to an Advanced Forward, however I have signed on loan a guy who is much better as a poacher. Will changing to a poacher drastically change anything ?

Poacher doesn't roam, poacher has lower creative freedom, poacher has no through balls (iirc).

The poacher won't get involved in build up play and will rely entirely on the service of others.

If it was a bug it would affect everyone. The fact myself and others are getting it all fluid suggest it isn't a bug.

Of course it can be a bug, since I assume none of us know how exactly it's implemented, and he can experience a special case depending on a lot of parameters. Many types of

bugs has this kind of nature and that's why it can be hard to fix, since you need the specific data to replicate the error.

Of course it can be a bug, since I assume none of us know how exactly it's implemented, and he can experience a special case depending on a lot of parameters. Many types of

bugs has this kind of nature and that's why it can be hard to fix, since you need the specific data to replicate the error.

I know how its implemented and its not a bug as has been proved in another thread where these people uploaded the game and I showed them it wasn't as they had made faults with training despite saying they haven't. There is no tactic familiarity bug.

I know how its implemented and its not a bug as has been proved in another thread where these people uploaded the game and I showed them it wasn't as they had made faults with training despite saying they haven't. There is no tactic familiarity bug.

Nice to know :-)

It just seems weird that you need training to get familiar with your tactic, and you can't get it from matches alone. Intuitively, I would guess I could get familiar from training and matches, or just one of them, but I would learn the most from a combination of the two.

Cleon I assume there is no secret formula, and it is just max out the tactics match preparation in preason, and play loads of friendlies as in prior incarnations of FM. Mine has taken quite a while, but it hasn't been helped by playing as Truro who are a semi-pro team and therefore meaning that I cannot control the weighting of the ratio of match prep to training.

Quick question: when you holiday through a match - how much difference does the Tactical Knowledge of the assistant manager make? Everything else being equal (like Judge CA, Motivation etc) would an ass man with Tactical Knowledge 18-20 consistently outperform another one with only 10-12?

Edit: corollary - is there any way to see what tactical changes the assistant makes during a match?

Is it possible to get wingers to pass the ball 45 degrees out in the box when they come to the byline? When I played football myself that was one thing my coaches emphasized a lot. In the game it seems that the wingers always goes for the shot, even from almost impossible angles.

So i lose 1-0 away to arsenal after completely shutting them down for 90 minutes, not a bad result at all but the thing is their goal came from guzan lumping it up field and giving them posession despite team and individual instructions being pass shorter, distribute to defenders. Is this a bug or just poor decision making from the player?

So i lose 1-0 away to arsenal after completely shutting them down for 90 minutes, not a bad result at all but the thing is their goal came from guzan lumping it up field and giving them posession despite team and individual instructions being pass shorter, distribute to defenders. Is this a bug or just poor decision making from the player?

GK distribution is a bug that is being looked into.

I have a stupid and silly question that might not be too related to tactics.

In previous FM when you create a note on a player there will be a small orange/yellow box beside the player name. How do I do this for FM14?

I usually buy tons of young players and will create a note to let me know which one is promising and stuff, so when my assistant play them in U18 and stuff I can just glance and tell whether he is playing my promising youth player or not. Now it seems I am not able to have the small box beside the name.

• SI Staff
Ask in general.

It does state in the thread title what this thread is for :)

Hello Cleon,

are you able to tell me please if in tactics, when you suit mentality to your team, you suit the tempo like the strategy did before?

Is it possible to get wingers to pass the ball 45 degrees out in the box when they come to the byline? When I played football myself that was one thing my coaches emphasized a lot. In the game it seems that the wingers always goes for the shot, even from almost impossible angles.

I'd second this question. Any player closing in on goal along the byline seems to always shoot instead of picking someone one out the middle. You can eliminate it by unticking the shouts to keep possession, etc, forcing players to deliver earlier, but that doesn't really solve the problem when they find themselves in that part of the pitch.

Hi all,

is there a detail manual for FM2014? I know that there is manual on official site, but this manual describes just basics and how to navigate through the user interface. I'm looking for a manual that would describe what each player attribute, team instruction, player instruction... mean.

Pretty sure my questions qualifies as stupid to most, so I'll post it here -

I'm sure it been answered somewhere, but frankly it's giving me a headache having to look through all this stuff to find something specific to my problem..

Tactics Familiarity -

I've figured out how to start it progressing upwards, but for the life I me I can't understand formation familiarity. All of my other blue bars are maxed out, yet formation familiarity is still Awkward, why is this and how do I remedy this problem?

Thanks in advance

Is the Half Back position considered a playmaker?

I only ask because I've just added one to my 451 (41221) along with a DLPs and he's getting ~100 passes each game (10-20 passes less than the DLP). Or is it more than likely just because I've told my DCs to pass shorter to stop them lumping the ball aimlessly up the park and the HB is the nearest guy to them?

Is the Half Back position considered a playmaker?

I only ask because I've just added one to my 451 (41221) along with a DLPs and he's getting ~100 passes each game (10-20 passes less than the DLP). Or is it more than likely just because I've told my DCs to pass shorter to stop them lumping the ball aimlessly up the park and the HB is the nearest guy to them?

Playmaker Roles are Deep Lying Playmaker, Advanced Playmaker, Regista, Trequartista and Enganche.

The reason for his high stats is likely to be what you've said - it would probably still be the case with a DM (D) there, because he'll just recycle play to the MC line.

Playmaker Roles are Deep Lying Playmaker, Advanced Playmaker, Regista, Trequartista and Enganche.

The reason for his high stats is likely to be what you've said - it would probably still be the case with a DM (D) there, because he'll just recycle play to the MC line.

That's what I thought, thanks for the confirmation.