Quickfire Questions and Answers Thread (Tactic and Training Questions Only)

14 minutes ago, Nikopol said:

hasnt it always been said that Jumping reach, as is said in the quote, determines the maximum non-relative height a player can reach? So that different sized players with the same JR will both reach the same height, but the taller player has an advantage because it's easier for him to get there thus impose his physical strength and as such to win an aerial duel if both players meet?

Logically you'd think I would be feet off the ground, e.g., jumping reach 20=40cm off the ground, 10=20cm off the ground. As an example, someone 190cm tall will have an advantage over someone 160cm if they have the same Jumping reach. However, someone 190cm and 10 reach will be out jumped by someone 180cm by 20 reach. 

Those numbers are an example and that's how logically I would think it (should) work.

• Replies 17.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

40 minutes ago, Nikopol said:

hasnt it always been said that Jumping reach, as is said in the quote, determines the maximum non-relative height a player can reach? So that different sized players with the same JR will both reach the same height, but the taller player has an advantage because it's easier for him to get there thus impose his physical strength and as such to win an aerial duel if both players meet?

There could be some advantage IRL for taller athletes especially in other sports like basketball where they need to jump few times in a row, but I don't think there is any advantage on FM. That is not in the game, nothing is affecting they strength attribute or other physical attributes. Whole point is that you should not concern yourself with height when judging player aerial ability same way you don't judge players' strength by looking how much he weighs.

9 hours ago, fmFutbolManager said:

Logically you'd think I would be feet off the ground, e.g., jumping reach 20=40cm off the ground, 10=20cm off the ground. As an example, someone 190cm tall will have an advantage over someone 160cm if they have the same Jumping reach. However, someone 190cm and 10 reach will be out jumped by someone 180cm by 20 reach. 

Those numbers are an example and that's how logically I would think it (should) work.

There are two ways to measure it - your way, from the bottom - how far off the ground the feet are. The in-game way, is from the top -  how high the head gets.

I suspect that this is down to the fact that a lot of aerial challenges in the game are between big defenders and small (er) strikers. Imagine a corner or cross delivered into the box - the defender is having to execute almost a standing jump, whereas the attacker is likely getting a run-up for a running jump. Ultimately, who wins the header is down to who can get their head high enough - whether the feet need to leave the ground or not. (Yes, I know there are more factors to consider, but this is the simplified version - assume all other attributes are equal).

In the midfield, from say a Goal Kick, the defender has the opportunity to 'step-in' to the jump whereas the attacker is 'backing into' the jump. Hence, the Defender usually has the advantage and wins the majority of these challenges. 

5 hours ago, fmFutbolManager said:

Surely it's the same thing. Your head gets as high as your height + jump Reach. Jump = feet of the ground.

Not if you compare a 6 foot 6 inch defender who gets his feet 12 inches off the ground, to a 5 foot 8 inch attacker who also gets his feet 12 inches off the ground. 

If the ball is anything higher than 6'8" the attacker can't reach it. Whereas the defender can reach a ball that is 7'6" high. Yet both are jumping with their feet 12 inches off the ground.

JR in the game, if both are equal, they will both be able to reach the same ball at their highest jump regardless of how far their feet are off the ground.

EDIT:

Apologies for using feet and inches - showing my age :-)

Edited by Snorks

3 hours ago, Snorks said:

Not if you compare a 6 foot 6 inch defender who gets his feet 12 inches off the ground, to a 5 foot 8 inch attacker who also gets his feet 12 inches off the ground. 

If the ball is anything higher than 6'8" the attacker can't reach it. Whereas the defender can reach a ball that is 7'6" high. Yet both are jumping with their feet 12 inches off the ground.

JR in the game, if both are equal, they will both be able to reach the same ball at their highest jump regardless of how far their feet are off the ground.

EDIT:

Apologies for using feet and inches - showing my age :-)

That's exactly what I've said 😂

2 hours ago, DiStru_ said:

How much do Role Ability ratings matter? Should I be worried about players that have low ratings for their positions or is this something that's just assistant's opinion?

3IayfbC.png

That's absolutely fine

Look at the player, the role he's playing & his attributes & PPM's

On 29/09/2019 at 07:59, Ka-nte10! said:

What is the difference between Full Back and Wing Back?

When and how do i have to use the PI?

Don't know what you mean by the PI. A full back is more conservative than a wing back. Even a WB on defend will position higher up the pitch than a FB on support.

WBs should be used when you have someone to cover on their side and if your idea is to cause natural overlaps and deliver crosses on that side of the pitch. They are also used to provide width and can help you play out of defense as passing options.

As a rule of thumb, if you've got a weak player out wide in defence, don't be too adventurous with role selection and let him keep it really simple.

51 minutes ago, lferreira said:

Don't know what you mean by the PI. A full back is more conservative than a wing back. Even a WB on defend will position higher up the pitch than a FB on support.

WBs should be used when you have someone to cover on their side and if your idea is to cause natural overlaps and deliver crosses on that side of the pitch. They are also used to provide width and can help you play out of defense as passing options.

As a rule of thumb, if you've got a weak player out wide in defence, don't be too adventurous with role selection and let him keep it really simple.

Thanks a lot!

With PI i mean player instructions

1 hour ago, Ka-nte10! said:

Thanks a lot!

With PI i mean player instructions

PIs are relevant to what you want from them. If a guy sucks at crossing tell him to cross less, if he's hoofing the ball tell him to pass it shorter. You can ask a player to sit narrower and provide support for your midfielders or to stay wider and expand the playing are of the pitch. This should work together will your formation and tactics.

1 hour ago, 3LionsFM said:

Counter press and a very high block seem to be very similar.

If I took counter press off and played very high LOE and very high defensive line would the effect in game be the same? 

Not exactly. Because counter-press applies only when you lose the ball during your attack (i.e. when the opposition intercepts your attack and starts their own). If CP is on, your players will rush into pressing in order to try and win the ball back as quickly as possible (but there is no guarantee that they will succeed, and if they aren't good enough both physically and mentally - they may leave gaps behind themselves for the opposition to potentially exploit). 

On the other hand, LOE tells your players (more precisely forwards) where on the pitch they should start pressing the opposition while they are building their attack up. How aggressively they will press depends on the pressing urgency instruction (either the TI or PIs or both). And keep in mind that both LOE and pressing intensity (as well as DL) are always affected by the mentality you play on. On higher mentalities your players will be proportionally more aggressive by default, and vice versa.

So, you can use counter-press with any LOE/DL combo (if you believe your players are good enough to execute it successfully). 

Regroup is the opposite of counter-press. It tells the players - when you lose the ball, do not try to win it back immediately and instead get back into your defensive positions and then defend from there according to our defensive instructions. And regroup can also be used with any DL/LOE combo.

1 hour ago, Experienced Defender said:

Not exactly. Because counter-press applies only when you lose the ball during your attack (i.e. when the opposition intercepts your attack and starts their own). If CP is on, your players will rush into pressing in order to try and win the ball back as quickly as possible (but there is no guarantee that they will succeed, and if they aren't good enough both physically and mentally - they may leave gaps behind themselves for the opposition to potentially exploit). 

On the other hand, LOE tells your players (more precisely forwards) where on the pitch they should start pressing the opposition while they are building their attack up. How aggressively they will press depends on the pressing urgency instruction (either the TI or PIs or both). And keep in mind that both LOE and pressing intensity (as well as DL) are always affected by the mentality you play on. On higher mentalities your players will be proportionally more aggressive by default, and vice versa.

So, you can use counter-press with any LOE/DL combo (if you believe your players are good enough to execute it successfully). 

Regroup is the opposite of counter-press. It tells the players - when you lose the ball, do not try to win it back immediately and instead get back into your defensive positions and then defend from there according to our defensive instructions. And regroup can also be used with any DL/LOE combo.

A really good and clear explanation :thup:

Does anyone else find that their opponents often seem to, without a noticeable change in tactics, become much better in the second half?  I find in maybe 4 out of 5 games that if I am dominant / equal in the first half against a team, they suddenly outplay me in the second half.  It's not my team tiring or getting ground down from 65-75 minutes but seems to be straight from the start of the second half until I try to change something to stop it.  In my last game I had 10 shots in the first half and my opponents had 9.  In the second half I had 2 shots and they had 22!  Now that's an extreme example but I'm often overpowered a bit like this in the second half of games.

Also, I can never cope if the AI teams go 3 up front towards the end of a game - I always concede one or two goals.

24 minutes ago, ExeChris said:

Does anyone else find that their opponents often seem to, without a noticeable change in tactics, become much better in the second half?  I find in maybe 4 out of 5 games that if I am dominant / equal in the first half against a team, they suddenly outplay me in the second half.  It's not my team tiring or getting ground down from 65-75 minutes but seems to be straight from the start of the second half until I try to change something to stop it.  In my last game I had 10 shots in the first half and my opponents had 9.  In the second half I had 2 shots and they had 22!  Now that's an extreme example but I'm often overpowered a bit like this in the second half of games.

Also, I can never cope if the AI teams go 3 up front towards the end of a game - I always concede one or two goals.

I used to suffer a lot with the 4-3-3 narrow that the opponent went to when chasing a game. To the point where I would regularly lose 2 and 3 goal leads with 15 minutes to play. I think I even made a thread about it. I've found the best way to combat this has been to use a 3-4-3 against it.

Has anyone had any luck with a DLP-Su? I love the idea of the role and think someone like De Jong has great attributes for it however I can never incorporate it into a formation without it creating problems. In a 4-2-3-1 I have tried pairing him with a runner (BBM/Mez) but it creates defensive issues as there isn't really a sitter. If I try pairing him with a CM-D the midfield doesn't seem to create enough attacking options and both sit fairly close to each other.

When I try him with a holding midfielder it feels like my midfield is too defensive, even with say a Mez-A, one side just seems to be lacking the attacking spark. I know the role can work well, I'm just struggling with ways to find out how.

16 hours ago, ExeChris said:

Sounds very much like a complacency issue to me. When you're 3-0 up and the morale is high, it's important to shout at your players and make sure they keep their focus. You don't want them extremely delighted, you want them fired up or motivated, even if one or two get nervous (get rid of such weak personalities at first opportunity).

You might find this useful: https://strikerless.com/2016/02/19/the-hartman-doctrine-why-the-hairdryer-treatment-works-surprisingly-well/

Alternatively, it could be that you simply don't adapt your tactic well or soon enough. Especially if the AI is expected to win, it will respond very aggressively to going down and if you keep throwing the kitchen sink at it even when you're 3-0 up, you're giving it the perfect platform for a come back. You can try using one tactic slot for a "shut up shop" tactic and see if that helps.

6 hours ago, RPM_01 said:

Has anyone had any luck with a DLP-Su? I love the idea of the role and think someone like De Jong has great attributes for it however I can never incorporate it into a formation without it creating problems. In a 4-2-3-1 I have tried pairing him with a runner (BBM/Mez) but it creates defensive issues as there isn't really a sitter. If I try pairing him with a CM-D the midfield doesn't seem to create enough attacking options and both sit fairly close to each other.

When I try him with a holding midfielder it feels like my midfield is too defensive, even with say a Mez-A, one side just seems to be lacking the attacking spark. I know the role can work well, I'm just struggling with ways to find out how.

Your defensive issues might potentially have to do with something other than your CM pair, so you need to post your tactic here (or ideally create a separate thread) so that it could be analyzed in a proper way :thup:

So my players are complaining that they want less strength or quickness training. Yet my training schedule does not include any specific sessions on that. Any help on how I change that so I can keep my cry baby players happy?

Thanks!

I have a question... 

With a positiv mentality, using "shorter passes" and "Play out of defence", your defenders will seem to play the ball longer than if you dont use "Play out of defence" - according to the pass-length-bar.  
image.png.590e2dbeb3ac5450fce04fc8c2167f7d.png 

Without "Play out of defence": 

image.png.9947f5ae5d17e9e566451e6bbd7297a6.png

Shouldn't it be the other way around? 

Also using "Much shorter passes" increases non-defenders to play more direct, than using 'just' "Shorter passes"... 

image.png.cc731ce06a403a15286b802023fb05ce.png

With "Shorter passes" instead of "Much shorter passes": 

image.png.18617439a3b8e985d9a8eb99bd8e63b6.png

Can't figure out the logic in this...  

On 06/10/2019 at 21:24, UCFBfan said:

So my players are complaining that they want less strength or quickness training. Yet my training schedule does not include any specific sessions on that. Any help on how I change that so I can keep my cry baby players happy?

Thanks!

Yep ... they are a pain. I can’t really answer your specific question but, if it helps, I just ignore them and the problem seems to go away. If they complain about things that I can change then I do tend to alter their individual trading routines.

I have a young striker who has decent attributes but his one glaring issue is finishing of 6. Naturally, I set him up for shooting training. The training advice is telling me to end the training because shooting is no longer a weakness. Why would this be? Is it because he's unlikely to improve? 

13 minutes ago, davenumber40 said:

The training advice is telling me to end the training because shooting is no longer a weakness. Why would this be? Is it because he's unlikely to improve?

I would ignore the training advice. As long as I am not satisfied with a player's attribute, I'll keep insisting on the additional focus. You are the manager (boss), so you are the one that makes the final decision :brock:

@davenumber40 @Experienced Defender Agree with the above - you decide if his attribute is good enough. 

If on the other hand I get the message “showing no improvement” I’d go into the part where you can see attribute changes and see if it’s trending upwards at all - if it is I ignore them, if it’s not I stop the training.

Hi people,

Ok let say that you've been playing with your team and a few seasons had already pass by and now you have a team with some very good players, the best on your league and you have your playing style. Now you'll be playing a very important 1st leg of Champions League semi-final away  against a very good team, similar in terms of quality and talent.

Would you change your playing style? Or would you go for a lower block/counter attack strategy?

Thanks

Edited by mikcheck

Why change ?

If you believe in your tactic and you know that your tactic is strong, you don't have to change (in my opinion).

Making changes means that you will end up with things you don't know well. If i was in your position i'll keep my tactic and i'll make only change in match if i see some bad things.

18 hours ago, zlatanera said:

@davenumber40 @Experienced Defender Agree with the above - you decide if his attribute is good enough. 

If on the other hand I get the message “showing no improvement” I’d go into the part where you can see attribute changes and see if it’s trending upwards at all - if it is I ignore them, if it’s not I stop the training.

Thank you both. I've kept at it and his finishing is already moving up.

Does anyone use personalized instructions in their tactics based on player attributes? Telling a player with poor dribbling to dribble less, good crossing to cross more etc? This seems logical but I don't know that I've seen much on it. I could see that your tactic would become a mess with too many individual instructions. 

5 horas atrás, Akasha disse:

Why change ?

If you believe in your tactic and you know that your tactic is strong, you don't have to change (in my opinion).

Making changes means that you will end up with things you don't know well. If i was in your position i'll keep my tactic and i'll make only change in match if i see some bad things.

I think you're right, playing in a different way and defensively can lead to a worst result.

23 minutes ago, davenumber40 said:

Does anyone use personalized instructions in their tactics based on player attributes? Telling a player with poor dribbling to dribble less, good crossing to cross more etc? This seems logical but I don't know that I've seen much on it. I could see that your tactic would become a mess with too many individual instructions. 

I tend to use them to counter-act unwanted ppms i.e. a player with Shoots From Distance might get instructed to "Shoot Less", or a guy with multiple traits encouraging running with the ball might get "Dribble Less". I'm more likely to just choose a role that suits my player in your example. There's no reason why it can't work though. 

1 hour ago, mikcheck said:

playing in a different way and defensively can lead to a worst result

Absolutely. Whenever I managed a top team and tried to adapt the tactic to another top team by making big changes, it would prove a (big) mistake. So either start with your regular tactic and then make small tweaks during the course of a match if necessary (as @Akasha suggested) or make just a couple of minor tweaks that would make the tactic slightly more conservative but without changing your regular style of play.

2 hours ago, davenumber40 said:

Telling a player with poor dribbling to dribble less

I definitely use this. Although if the player has a trait that involves dribbling, the "Dribble less" TI will not completely prevent him from attempting to dribble, but only (somewhat) reduce his tendency to do that. 

2 hours ago, davenumber40 said:

good crossing to cross more

Not necessarily. This would entirely depend on my style of play. 

Em 13/10/2019 em 15:01, Experienced Defender disse:

Absolutely. Whenever I managed a top team and tried to adapt the tactic to another top team by making big changes, it would prove a (big) mistake. So either start with your regular tactic and then make small tweaks during the course of a match if necessary (as @Akasha suggested) or make just a couple of minor tweaks that would make the tactic slightly more conservative but without changing your regular style of play.

I did that and I lost 3-2 away, but won 3-1. Unfortunately I've lost the final 2-1 to Monaco, who won for 4 times in the last 5 years, ouch. 

It is stupid but I just feel bad for my players, I have such a talented squad but I've never won a Champions League with them, and they're not getting younger. I doubt I'll have such a strong squad as this one in the following years. Oh well, maybe next year.

Edited by mikcheck

2 hours ago, mikcheck said:

I did that and I lost 3-2 away, but won 3-1. Unfortunately I've lost the final 2-1 to Monaco, who won for 4 times in the last 5 years, ouch. 

It is stupid but I just feel bad for my players, I have such a talented squad but I've never won a Champions League with them, and they're not getting younger. I doubt I'll have such a strong squad as this one in the following years. Oh well, maybe next year.

On the top level, anyone can win anyone, and sometimes (often?) it's more than just about tactics.

I have an 18 year old GK in my U23s in my Arsenal save, but he isn't appearing in the "Rest" tab of the U23 training. He is only available for the U23s, and is showing under the "Individuals" tab. Am I missing anything obvious? The reason I ask is that I am not sure how his training intensity is being controlled (he seemed to default to "very light" and half intensity despite having around 98% condition.

3 hours ago, Marabak said:

I have an 18 year old GK in my U23s in my Arsenal save, but he isn't appearing in the "Rest" tab of the U23 training. He is only available for the U23s, and is showing under the "Individuals" tab. Am I missing anything obvious? The reason I ask is that I am not sure how his training intensity is being controlled (he seemed to default to "very light" and half intensity despite having around 98% condition.

As far as I know, a player does not appear in the "Rest" tab when he is either injured (including the rehabilitation phase) or absent (usually with his national team). Otherwise, he should be there (under his squad of course).

Why do players sometimes have sudden drops on a lot of attributes at once? how is that explained in the context of the game and is it possible to do something to prevent it from happening?

OFJQTU0.png

Player in question is Fabinho, playing for Real Madrid. He's 26, playing most matches as a starter and doesn't have a history of being injured too often (he's not injured atm either).

He even has a decent training performance rating the same day his attributes dropped.

a7X2J53.png

Edit: Forgot to mention he mostly has good ratings when he plays and isn't in a bad streak of performance either.

Edited by Sebas

27 minutes ago, Sebas said:

how is that explained in the context of the game

In the context of the game, think of it as the player's just had a tough week training / playing matches and he's feeling knackered.  It's temporary and he'll be fine again in a week or so.

What's technically happening is a constant balancing between attributes and Current Ability (CA - a hidden value).  Lots of down arrows such as this indicate a minor rebalancing (0.1 or 0.2) across all attributes in order for the game to calculate accurately.  This is a temporary thing and should not impact long term growth at all - check the line graphs in the player development tab.

SI have previously said they'd review this so as not to show these minor aberrations as it can cause this type of question and concern, so fingers crossed for FM20.

34 minutes ago, Sebas said:

is it possible to do something to prevent it from happening?

Funnily enough we actually don't want to stop it happening because it means the player is developing really well - so well that he's developing more rapidly than CA growth would normally allow.  What we want to prevent is seeing this type of minor across the board reduction in the UI, but as said that's up to SI.

I know it's quite late, with FM20 on the horizon, but I finally have made a tactic which creates great attacking football, but on the defensive side can be quite inconsistent. Can anyone give me some advice on how to shore things up defensively speaking?

Screenshot 2019-10-29 at 13.46.09.png