Quickfire Questions and Answers Thread (Tactic and Training Questions Only)

Do physios only help prevent training injuries or also injuries that occur DURING a match?

I ask this because my youth players get plaqued by injuries. I don't have a u19 physio right now because there are no players in my youth team. They're all in my first team but i make them available for the u19s. I didn't think i needed a u19 physio because of that but maybe i do? My club is in huge debt so i try to save money where i can.

• Replies 17.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

55 minutes ago, hxp said:

Do physios only help prevent training injuries or also injuries that occur DURING a match?

I ask this because my youth players get plaqued by injuries. I don't have a u19 physio right now because there are no players in my youth team. They're all in my first team but i make them available for the u19s. I didn't think i needed a u19 physio because of that but maybe i do? My club is in huge debt so i try to save money where i can.

I can't answer your question. What I can say is that if you're in a ton of debt an under 19s physio or lack of one is going to be irrelevant. So hire one.

56 minutes ago, JK Galgreefe said:

Does anyone know why I can't set this player to Close Down More?

Screen Shot 2018-04-22 at 11.20.39.png

I have seen in other tactics that it is possible to set a Mez(A) to Close Down More, but it isn't an option here.

Probably because you've already maxed out the closing down through your team instructions and/or your chosen mentality.

I have a fairly conservative right back and a more adventurous left back. I also have two centre backs who would work well as a stopper/cover combination (without giving them the specific roles, their attributes, especially the difference in aggression give them this split naturally...)

Which way round would you play the centre backs? I’m thinking the more aggressive stopper on the left to come and attack the space left by the left-back, but I’m not sure...

44 minutes ago, howard moon said:

I have a fairly conservative right back and a more adventurous left back. I also have two centre backs who would work well as a stopper/cover combination (without giving them the specific roles, their attributes, especially the difference in aggression give them this split naturally...)

Which way round would you play the centre backs? I’m thinking the more aggressive stopper on the left to come and attack the space left by the left-back, but I’m not sure...

It could be better to have the less aggressive defender on cover to give the FB time to recover. If that DC presses up too aggressively and gets beat, it's going to be a good chance for the other team. Whereas if he can just make the attacking player hesitate, it's possible a pacey FB could recover to the defensive line.

I'm currently playing FMT and I've been having serious issues with "lazy" starts of games. We are constantly underperforming in the first half, meaning we almost always have to play catch up in the second.

Example:

Against Sporting away: 1 shot on goal in the first 45min. Sporting had 8. Scored twice. We have 10 shots in the second half and manage to grab an away goal.
Against Tottenham home: 0 shots in the first 45. Tottenham had 9. Scored once. We had 12 shots in the second half. Scored 1 but so did they.
Against West Brom home: 2 shots in the first 45. West Brom 6. We then managed 15 shots in the second half and a 2-0 win.

This goes on. Why are my players so poorly motivated in the beginning and how do I do anything about it without having the option of team talks?

39 minutes ago, Karnack said:

I'm currently playing FMT and I've been having serious issues with "lazy" starts of games. We are constantly underperforming in the first half, meaning we almost always have to play catch up in the second.

Example:

Against Sporting away: 1 shot on goal in the first 45min. Sporting had 8. Scored twice. We have 10 shots in the second half and manage to grab an away goal.
Against Tottenham home: 0 shots in the first 45. Tottenham had 9. Scored once. We had 12 shots in the second half. Scored 1 but so did they.
Against West Brom home: 2 shots in the first 45. West Brom 6. We then managed 15 shots in the second half and a 2-0 win.

This goes on. Why are my players so poorly motivated in the beginning and how do I do anything about it without having the option of team talks?

What's your tactic? It's possible you have a cautious approach, so the players will play a safe style, only really feeling urgency in scoring when the team's already losing or the match is near the end.

11 minutes ago, kingjericho said:

What's your tactic? It's possible you have a cautious approach, so the players will play a safe style, only really feeling urgency in scoring when the team's already losing or the match is near the end.

Control/Flexible

--------------Gk
FB(S) CD(D) CD(D) WB(S)
-------------DM(D)

----------CM(A) BBM(S)
W(S)------------------------IF(A)
---------------CF(S)

TIs:

Work ball into box

Shorter passing

4 hours ago, Karnack said:

Control/Flexible

--------------Gk
FB(S) CD(D) CD(D) WB(S)
-------------DM(D)

----------CM(A) BBM(S)
W(S)------------------------IF(A)
---------------CF(S)

TIs:

Work ball into box

Shorter passing     

It seems balanced. My best advice would be to watch the entire first 10/15 minutes and see exactly what's going on. You can also experiment different closing down/defensive line options to see if the team presses more aggressively.

Young guns in my EPL team >  coach says he/they are currently Championship standard.  Do I loan them out to ECL teams or bring 'em into my EPL squad now?  (Down in my regular haunt, the LLMs this doesn't happen.   They generally respond better by at home in the senior squad.)

4 hours ago, Mactier said:

Young guns in my EPL team >  coach says he/they are currently Championship standard.  Do I loan them out to ECL teams or bring 'em into my EPL squad now?  (Down in my regular haunt, the LLMs this doesn't happen.   They generally respond better by at home in the senior squad.)

I find the coach report is pretty good for which league to lend them out to, yes.

Stupid question.In regard to scouting if you leave it to your head scout to make assignments can you still go in and set individual assignments? As in will the head scout override your assignment?

With big scouting teams I don't want to set each individual assignment but may want something specific from time to time.

9 minutes ago, TheGrahamF said:

Stupid question.In regard to scouting if you leave it to your head scout to make assignments can you still go in and set individual assignments? As in will the head scout override your assignment?

With big scouting teams I don't want to set each individual assignment but may want something specific from time to time.

Probably best off asking that in the General Discussion forum.  This thread is for Tactics and Training questions so you'll get more responses and ideas in the other forum :thup:.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to train to get my forwards' Teamwork and Work Rate up? I'm playing Rashidi's asymetric Liverpool tactic with Lyon and although Lisandro Lopez (15 in both attributes) is doing well in the Firmino role, he's a finite resource at this point and I'm concerned that none of my wonderkids have higher than 11 in those two attributes, which I think will be very important to replicate the sort of selfless forward play of Firmino (I also plan to train the correct PPMs). I've never seen noticeable gains in these attributes before so I'm hoping someone can help me with that. 

EDITED: Also is it possible to train Natural Fitness? When you train Segundo Volante or BBM it highlights the attribute but I can't recall ever seeing the attribute increase.

Edited by zlatanera

Tutoring\reqruirtment is the main way for bringging up Teamwork\Work Rate. Even then it's never really been an atribute that's gone more than +4 for me tutoring.

In my current Lower league save, I set filters to recruit for this, as I lacked Agression, Work Rate, Team work, and Pace in Defence

I do fine\warn players for a rating under 6.1, this can increase workrate, but it's not exactly the ideal way to train work rate.

Natural fitness is another that goes up maybe 2-4 over a career for me, but I've never been able to train it directly.

31 minutes ago, plcarlos said:

Tutoring\reqruirtment is the main way for bringging up Teamwork\Work Rate. Even then it's never really been an atribute that's gone more than +4 for me tutoring.

In my current Lower league save, I set filters to recruit for this, as I lacked Agression, Work Rate, Team work, and Pace in Defence

I do fine\warn players for a rating under 6.1, this can increase workrate, but it's not exactly the ideal way to train work rate.

Natural fitness is another that goes up maybe 2-4 over a career for me, but I've never been able to train it directly.

Tutoring has no impact on Teamwork or Workrate.  If you've seen either of those attributes increase while a player is being tutored it's purely coincidental and will have increased due to other factors.

Tutoring alters Determination and other hidden attributes which affect player personalities and media handling skills.  It can also transfer PPMs.

Hmm...does the role they play have an effect perhaps? i.e. training Memphis as a DF whilst playing him as an AP-Su and saw no increase in teamwork / work rate. Same with Maolida. None of the roles I use have both highlighted, just I'm trying to make someone play like Firmino so need them. 

Is there any way of telling what specific impact the 'Pass Into Space' team instruction has? 

I can't tell any difference looking at each player's instruction screen. For instance, a Defensive Forward has 'Less Risky Passes' regardless of whether the 'Pass Into Space' TI is there or not. Likewise, an Advanced Playmaker has 'More Risky Passes' either way.

Are you better off tailoring each player's instructions and actually having a clear indication of the changes you're making, or is there an advantage of the 'Pass Into Space' that I'm missing?

Thanks

Using a back three, can it make sence to use your slowest center back in the middle as a DC-C? Or is it really a role for faster center backs? The reason I'm asking is because I'm using my faster center backs as DCL and DCR since they have to cover for the wingbacks but that leaves with a really slow defender to play in the middle. Since he's slow, I'm thinking that leaving him a bit behind our defensive line could help him be in a better position to chase opposition players ?

53 minutes ago, D_LO_ said:

I've been caught out by quick, long balls over the top after using similar logic. Admittedly I also put him on stopper, the others were so wide they couldn't get across quick enough though regardless. This was more of a problem against lone striker formations, so I would keep an eye on it against such formations especially.

Thanks for the advice! Yeah, I've also been caught with a few balls over the top when he is the last man to beat.

54 minutes ago, D_LO_ said:

I'm not sure how he's behind the D line and behind the other centre backs though unless he's on a cover duty, which isn't advisable or the others are stoppers. All other things equal, DCBs and CDs should be in-line. They only differ when on the ball, not off the ball in my experience. 

That's exactly what I was asking: If I should change him to a cover duty or not. But, I can see that from your experience, I'm just better off getting a new, faster center back xD

EPL team > young under 23 talent > playing the boys off the firsts bench in the last 30 minutes > Good or not so good for his development to give game time to those who the coach says are 'SkyBet-One' level at present?

Edited by Mactier

I'm at a complete loss in 18.3, in terms of consistency.

Haven't played that much this year compared to previous year but in the first version I created 2-3 tactics which completely mauled everyone with ease.

Haven't played in months up to 2 weeks or so ago and I don't remember being so frustrated with FM in like 10 years.

For example, started an Inter save, decided on 4-4-2, standard/control.

First 7 games, 5-1-1 with 13-3 GD. Played well enough.
Then 3 straight 0-0 draws, barely creating any chances, played against 2 relegation battle teams.

Changed some team instructions, had 8 game winstreak. Every game my team played so well I had no fear of conceding or losing.
17-2 GD.

Then, 3 straight away losses, got absolutely murdered, as if my team never even played together.
Conceded 8, scored 2. Conceded all of my goals from crosses, my players kept getting caught out of position, chasing down players they shouldn't etc.
Fourth game just now, which made me post here,  0-0 draw against relegation team at home. Couldn't score even when they got a red at 60min mark.

I'd be fine with this if I struggled whole season long.
And I didn't want to change my tactic because I want to see if I can fight off that damn momentum. When you string a couple of wins, you can go on undefeated for 20+ games, but when things start going bad after a couple of games, everything falls apart.

But this has been like third save over the past month where my team just inexplicably stops playing and I go on a 5+ game winless steak, even in 3rd season when everything should be settled.

I just can't stand watching strikers with 19 finishing and compsure missing 3 sitters every game in games I'm winning just so the engine balances it out.
It's impossible to create a tactic where you can win constantly without creating lots of chances. At least for me, that is.

Bottom line, over three saves, half a dozen different tactics I set up and ran just to try and be consistent for at least half a season, I completely failed.
I can't comprehend how can a team on a 8 game winning streak, that's not playing mid-week games, suddenly restart and become useless for extended periods of time.

It's not even formations, specific plays or something, I just feel like I have no control over the season's momentum.
And I don't play players out of position, nor I use exotic formations.

25 minutes ago, mikcheck said:

@Cleon do you have any article on pre-season training and how do you set it up? Thanks.

Yeah, it's on the blog under the training section. Should only take a few second for you to find it :)

Also is there any way to get strikers to defend properly? I play with 2 strikers currently and it's a bit weird seeing them just stand next to the opposition centre backs rather than dropping deep like they tend to in real life

Shape ... what is it actually doing to the players in how they move around the pitch?

If you think of it as a glass of beer ..

Structured - the beer goes wherever the glass is.

Flexible - someone drank half the beer so it can slop around in the glass

Fluid - someone spilt the beer & its now just running around on the table everywhere

is how it is in my mind, but that's not how it works in the game is it ?

5 hours ago, RodentofDoom said:

Shape ... what is it actually doing to the players in how they move around the pitch?

If you think of it as a glass of beer ..

Structured - the beer goes wherever the glass is.

Flexible - someone drank half the beer so it can slop around in the glass

Fluid - someone spilt the beer & its now just running around on the table everywhere

is how it is in my mind, but that's not how it works in the game is it ?

Funny way to think about it :lol: however try to think of it as a level of compactness of the entire team. The more fluid you select, the more compact the eleven players will be. So when you play fluid/very fluid, the space between defence, midfield, and attack is smaller.

Is the defenders decision (9\10) making the reason my Centre back decides to "clear" the ball from the corner flag to the D on the penalty box? Is there no way i can coach them "If you out on the wing, just hoof the ball out!" (and the full-backs TBH!)

Just to add, this is on my Lower league save (Stevenage - Where i went to College!) - So, Decisions rating is 9-12. These are League 2\1 players that had potential, so are on my upgrade list - IF i can find the right player (combo of rep, budget, wages limit me so far).

Main offender also has lower passing - 9  which i know plays an effect, it just infuriates me (I grew up playing in defence - if in doubt, hoof it out!) Playing that pass is just begging for trouble!

vor 15 Stunden schrieb plcarlos:

Is the defenders decision (9\10) making the reason my Centre back decides to "clear" the ball from the corner flag to the D on the penalty box? Is there no way i can coach them "If you out on the wing, just hoof the ball out!" (and the full-backs TBH!)

Just to add, this is on my Lower league save (Stevenage - Where i went to College!) - So, Decisions rating is 9-12. These are League 2\1 players that had potential, so are on my upgrade list - IF i can find the right player (combo of rep, budget, wages limit me so far).

Main offender also has lower passing - 9  which i know plays an effect, it just infuriates me (I grew up playing in defence - if in doubt, hoof it out!) Playing that pass is just begging for trouble!

Maybe it's because of your team mentality. The more attacking it is the more likely defenders will try to "play it out of trouble" instead of just hoofing it up the pitch. Attacking mentality and "play out of defence" will make your CB's play a very short passing game.

What's the best approach to training older players? I can think of 3 different ways to train them but which one makes the most sense?

-no role training, additional focus on physical attributes so they don't waste time on technical attributes that likely wont increase anyway, also better for keeping older players from getting injured and dropping attributes because the work load is lower

-a role training thats heavy on physicals like RPM or SS and additional focus on physical attributes for maximizing training work load

-a role training that's heavy on mentals like BWM or DF and additional focus on physical attributes or maybe composure because old players mental attributes are more likely to increase or retain than technical or phyisical attributes. If they haven't reached their PA they could compensate their physical decline by gaining mental attributes.

Not sure if the last one makes sense at all, opinions?

6 hours ago, hxp said:

Maybe it's because of your team mentality. The more attacking it is the more likely defenders will try to "play it out of trouble" instead of just hoofing it up the pitch. Attacking mentality and "play out of defence" will make your CB's play a very short passing game.

hmmm - Structured and Flexible are my settings. my League 2 days had pass into space (Both strikers exploited this perfectly).

I'd still love to be able to coach them to never play the diagonal pass into the middle of the pitch from the corner flag. Along with just putting the ball out sometimes.

There are situations that regardless of level these options should not be taken. It's defending 101.

Sorry - Another question:

Corners\Free Kicks - Ideally - I'd like to set a few players to stay wide, as an option to pick up a lose ball\clearance, but i'm not able to do this. Am i missing something?

@hxp RE: Older players.

I don't tend to train physicals on over 32's, regardless it seems to drop and the improvement is minimal. Personally, i tend to move players on before this age, but if i do have them, i re-train them from physically demanding roles, to lesser one - So a roaming playmaker\BBM, I'll likely train as a DLP (D)  if the attributes are there to do it.

On your last comment, i kind of do that, more of my older players training is on mental attributes, maybe a few technical

Is there any way to have a 442 with the wide players on attack without ending up with this horrible defensive shape? I'd like my wide players to tuck in into midfield when we don't have the ball but push forward aggressively when we do, hence why I want to use an attack mentality

20180511121936_1.jpg

10 minutes ago, 91427 said:

Is there any way to have a 442 with the wide players on attack without ending up with this horrible defensive shape? I'd like my wide players to tuck in into midfield when we don't have the ball but push forward aggressively when we do, hence why I want to use an attack mentality

20180511121936_1.jpg

My Wide Midfielders defend narrow.

20 minutes ago, 91427 said:

20180511121936_1.jpg

I think lower mentalities like defend and counter tend to defend a little more narrowly.. but also deeper down the field. But if you had a counter mentality , a structured shape, and attacking wingers then they should get forward plenty as well. 

I'm not sure that is quite what you are looking for but I'd need more detail as to exactly how you want to defend.

8 minutes ago, johnnyyakuza78 said:

I think lower mentalities like defend and counter tend to defend a little more narrowly.. but also deeper down the field. But if you had a counter mentality , a structured shape, and attacking wingers then they should get forward plenty as well. 

I'm not sure that is quite what you are looking for but I'd need more detail as to exactly how you want to defend.

I've tried playing on defensive but it didn't seem to make any difference. No matter what they sit wider than my full backs and leave the midfield two exposed. I've attached some examples below

There's nothing particularly complicated about the way I want to defend, just want to use a compact and narrow shape and its frustrating that it seems impossible to change defensive width

20180511131603_1.jpg

20180511131718_1.jpg

20180511132108_1.jpg

4 minutes ago, 91427 said:

Do you play them on attack?

I use both. The Attack duty is wide at times, yes. The Support WM on the other side helps out the centre more often than the Attack duty. That gets me the best of both worlds.

25 minutes ago, 91427 said:

I've tried playing on defensive but it didn't seem to make any difference. No matter what they sit wider than my full backs and leave the midfield two exposed. I've attached some examples below

There's nothing particularly complicated about the way I want to defend, just want to use a compact and narrow shape and its frustrating that it seems impossible to change defensive width

20180511131603_1.jpg

20180511131718_1.jpg

20180511132108_1.jpg

Any more details about your set-up you can give us? It could be due to marking/closing down instructions...

I think I've seen other people on the board talking about this before, where they can't get their wide mids to tuck in during defensive phases. It might be an ME issue, where its really not possible to get them to defend like Atletico Madrid. 

Me personally I've gotten my sides to defend how you suggest to some extent with lower mentalities and reducing closing down on some players. But at the same time its never consistently kept that shape in all circumstances.

2 hours ago, felley said:

Any more details about your set-up you can give us? It could be due to marking/closing down instructions...

I've tried just about every set of TIs and PIs you can think of, the result is the same. I'm sure you'd have the same results as me if you went into your save, switched your tactics to a 442 with the wide players on attack then went into a game

Hi All,

Are inverted wingers offer support to the mezallas?

I'm using a tactic with a back 4 , (Two IWBs , Two CD (Defend) , One DM as an Anchor Man , Two Mezallas , 2 Inside Forwards and a false nine).

Are my DM and IWBs offer support to my Central mids? Or in general , my first XI player roles are leaky in defence?

Thank you for your help... 

23 hours ago, LeonardSnart said:

Is very fluid style appriopriate for high pressing tactic?

Fluidity means how much space you want between the sectors (defence, midfield, attack). So if you want to pressure as a high block, fluid/very fluid can be a good option. The thing you need to be careful about very fluid is mentality, because all players will play according to your mentality, e.g. if you go 'attacking' even your centre backs will play with high risk.

21 hours ago, Majos Trajos said:

Hi All,

Are inverted wingers offer support to the mezallas?

I'm using a tactic with a back 4 , (Two IWBs , Two CD (Defend) , One DM as an Anchor Man , Two Mezallas , 2 Inside Forwards and a false nine).

Are my DM and IWBs offer support to my Central mids? Or in general , my first XI player roles are leaky in defence?

Thank you for your help... 

This setup seems very... narrow. Who plays in wide areas? You have the IWB and the IF cutting in.