Quickfire Questions and Answers Thread (Tactic and Training Questions Only)

12 hours ago, LeonardSnart said:

Why defensive midfielder who has 16 stamina gets tired very quick? And why he receives  yellow card/ 2x yellow in almost every match if he has got only 12 agression?

6 hours ago, M4nager1a said:

You used higher tempo? and fouls aren't judged by aggression only.

Defenders with Poor Decision will make late Challange and concede cards

Edit:if your DM is a BWM,yellow cards are acceptable.Keep reminding him to calm down twice every match so he won't get sent off.

3 hours ago, phnompenhandy said:

His player instruction might be 'hard tackling' but his tackling attribute is low, so he keeps mis-timing tackles.

There is also a hidden attribute called "Dirtiness" which determines how likely the player is to make intentional fouls.  Check the coach report for the player - if it says something along the lines of "has a competitive streak" that will indicate a high Dirtiness attribute.

The Aggression attribute or the type of role used does not necessarily mean he'll pick up cards.  Aggression just means the player is willing to get stuck in and not shy away from being involved in the action.  For a BWM (which is an aggressive role) I always favour a player with high aggression and good tackling, so long as he doesn't have that competitive streak.  My BWMs rarely get booked, let alone sent off.

In terms of a player with 16 stamina tiring quickly, define tiring?  Does he regularly drop condition quickly during a match?  What's his condition at the end of a match?  Does he recover sufficiently between matches?  What is his Natural Fitness attribute (helps determine his speed of recovery)?  Do you use a particularly high impact tactical system (check that on the tactics screen)?  Are your other players also affected in a similar manner?  Do you ever notice a message that the player is "Jaded and could use a rest"?

• Replies 17.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guys, is it even worth playing Defensive mentality, if you're a favorite to get relegated? I don't have fast strikers or defenders that are good creators for Counter mentality, so my thinking behind it was that I'll try to play very risk-free possession football and slowly work the ball up the pitch, but I end up conceding a lot anyway. Even though my defenders are good in the air, crosses just keep flying in and eventually I concede.

qEBIgXq.png

- I started with two CARs, but switched the left one to BWM, because majority of crosses we concede comes from that side; so that he offers more support to FB

- Strikers are not good in the air, so I want to play through the middle, without crosses - this is why Structured, so that FBs don't get too offensive; I have CAR providing the width instead

Am I right in thinking that maybe I shouldn't play on Defensive mentality without great defenders, because I put them under a lot of pressure that way? Should I just switch to Control or even Attacking, even if I have worst team in the league - and maybe Structured or Highly Structured, so that my defenders still maintain a low-risk mentality?

4 hours ago, Wap92 said:

Guys, is it even worth playing Defensive mentality, if you're a favorite to get relegated? I don't have fast strikers or defenders that are good creators for Counter mentality, so my thinking behind it was that I'll try to play very risk-free possession football and slowly work the ball up the pitch, but I end up conceding a lot anyway. Even though my defenders are good in the air, crosses just keep flying in and eventually I concede.

qEBIgXq.png

- I started with two CARs, but switched the left one to BWM, because majority of crosses we concede comes from that side; so that he offers more support to FB

- Strikers are not good in the air, so I want to play through the middle, without crosses - this is why Structured, so that FBs don't get too offensive; I have CAR providing the width instead

Am I right in thinking that maybe I shouldn't play on Defensive mentality without great defenders, because I put them under a lot of pressure that way? Should I just switch to Control or even Attacking, even if I have worst team in the league - and maybe Structured or Highly Structured, so that my defenders still maintain a low-risk mentality?

Defensive mentality aren't always an option man,You're a relegation favorites and I bet your players aren't good at defending.

From what I've read,I think this is the most suitable change for your team:

-Strikers are slow and playing through middle? Instruct them to move to channels and set your AP to Attack in hope he will play killer through balls,You have an Anchor so you don't have to worry much about your back

-Put your DLF to support since you don't have AM.This way your Midfield could pass to your striker easier

-Since you don't have wingers,Your flanks are exposed,set your FBs to Defend mentality.Only opt for support if you're facing similiar clubs or you're favorites to win

-Switch to Counter mentality

-(Optional)If you're facing narrow tactics,you could play wider to stretch and disrupt their formation

Edited by M4nager1a

Hi All long time crap player of fm, first time poster so go easy on me. I've started a save with my team Plymouth Argyle in league one, after looking at the media prediction which is last i decided to go with counter attacking tactics both which i've uploaded both of them so hopefully you can see them, first few games of the season have been dire in front of goal especially, i've conceded 4 goals in the first 4 games but they all came in 1 game so 3 clean sheets im happy with but no goals scored and probably less than 5 shots on target altogther. My talisman graham Carey isnt performing at all, the strikers are usless at holding the ball up even though all 3 three of them are supposedly target men. has anyone else had any luck with Plymouth they just seem to be impossible to get any good results with.   

5a4d1c7592d9b_tactic1.thumb.png.b80b1c2c409c11ef44d8268a4d21caae.png5a4d1c7be7565_tactic2.thumb.png.605880f59b059f4953029e5afeba3bad.png5a4d223983d66_grahamcarey.thumb.png.350dfb8c8d4f2fe9f2a73b4affeac5b7.png

Is it wrong to save the game before a big match then load it up if I lose to change tactics? I just lost to Inter Milan over and over until I managed to beat them 1-4 as AC Milan. 

It feels like cheating ( guess it is ) but I am awful at seeing what is wrong in game and adapting to it. Guess I just chop and change until something works, I stick with the same formation though. 

3 hours ago, green and white barmy army said:

Hi All long time crap player of fm, first time poster so go easy on me. I've started a save with my team Plymouth Argyle in league one, after looking at the media prediction which is last i decided to go with counter attacking tactics both which i've uploaded both of them so hopefully you can see them, first few games of the season have been dire in front of goal especially, i've conceded 4 goals in the first 4 games but they all came in 1 game so 3 clean sheets im happy with but no goals scored and probably less than 5 shots on target altogther. My talisman graham Carey isnt performing at all, the strikers are usless at holding the ball up even though all 3 three of them are supposedly target men. has anyone else had any luck with Plymouth they just seem to be impossible to get any good results with.   

5a4d1c7592d9b_tactic1.thumb.png.b80b1c2c409c11ef44d8268a4d21caae.png5a4d1c7be7565_tactic2.thumb.png.605880f59b059f4953029e5afeba3bad.png5a4d223983d66_grahamcarey.thumb.png.350dfb8c8d4f2fe9f2a73b4affeac5b7.png

Welcome to the forum and props for playing Plymouth Argyle (I used to go to Home Park a lot when I was younger).

Unfortunately there seems to be something wrong with the screenshots and I can't read any tactical settings.  Feel free to start a new thread however if you can get some better screenies and you'll probably get many more people responding with suggestions and advice than you will do in this thread.

There is also a guide to counter attacking football linked in the Guides section (funnily enough) of the thread pinned to the top of this forum labelled "Please Read".  You may also find that useful :thup:.

2 hours ago, Elitee said:

Is it wrong to save the game before a big match then load it up if I lose to change tactics? I just lost to Inter Milan over and over until I managed to beat them 1-4 as AC Milan. 

It feels like cheating ( guess it is ) but I am awful at seeing what is wrong in game and adapting to it. Guess I just chop and change until something works, I stick with the same formation though. 

Well yeh it is cheating, but it's your game and free to play it however you want to :).

But if you do want help you can always create a new thread, detail your system and the problems you had with Inter.  Someone may be able to give you other ideas.

39 minutes ago, herne79 said:

Welcome to the forum and props for playing Plymouth Argyle (I used to go to Home Park a lot when I was younger).

Unfortunately there seems to be something wrong with the screenshots and I can't read any tactical settings.  Feel free to start a new thread however if you can get some better screenies and you'll probably get many more people responding with suggestions and advice than you will do in this thread.

There is also a guide to counter attacking football linked in the Guides section (funnily enough) of the thread pinned to the top of this forum labelled "Please Read".  You may also find that useful :thup:.

Thanks unfortunately all little too late as i was sacked no wins in the first 15 or so games and only 5-6 goals scored, i will start again with Plymouth it does seem to be the impossible job but then thats probably just me. 

On 12/19/2017 at 09:11, Mr_Demus said:

Feedback on my tactics would be appreciated. I play as Chievo in Serie A. I am actually doing decently, and sitting 8th after 13 games. I am really good away, and have taken some real beatings at home. I am looking for permanent changes, as well as tweaks to alter the roles and such without compromising my playing style.

I want to play possesion football, focused on keeping my opponents off the ball as much as possible.

I mainly play standard - sometimes control.

Mentality is flexible.

GK - D

WB - D/S

DC - D

DC - D

WB - D/S

DM - S

CM - A

BWM - S

AP - S

DF - S

AF - A

Onky PI is goalkeeper roll out to DC's

TI's: Retain possesion, roam from positions, look for overlap, play out of defence

If you want to mix things up a bit, try setting one of your WBs to be an Inverted Wingback.

On Support Duty, the IWB will push up into the DMC strata when in possession and help with the central possession build up, but will defend wide as a FB when you lose the ball. With the "Get Further Forward" PI he will make runs into the AMC strata which can create some nice overload plays. I haven't tried putting him on Defend or Attack duty yet. 

You need a wide player on the same side to make up for his lack of width, though. Like a Wide Midfielder who doesn't make too many forward runs but sits reasonably deep and wide to stretch the play. 

It's working pretty well for me at Osasuna in the Spanish segundo division. I started with this IWB and WM setup on both flanks, but it got a bit too static with lots of short passing possession, but not enough penetration.

So I reverted to having the IWB - WM combo on one flank, and then a diamond midfield with only a WB/s on the other flank without any wide midfielder. To give him a bit of support, the central midfielder closest to the WB/s flank is a Mezzala.   

On 2.01.2018 at 09:32, herne79 said:

There is also a hidden attribute called "Dirtiness" which determines how likely the player is to make intentional fouls.  Check the coach report for the player - if it says something along the lines of "has a competitive streak" that will indicate a high Dirtiness attribute.

In terms of a player with 16 stamina tiring quickly, define tiring?  Does he regularly drop condition quickly during a match?  What's his condition at the end of a match?  Does he recover sufficiently between matches?  What is his Natural Fitness attribute (helps determine his speed of recovery)?  Do you use a particularly high impact tactical system (check that on the tactics screen)?  Are your other players also affected in a similar manner?  Do you ever notice a message that the player is "Jaded and could use a rest"?

Yes, he has "has a competetive streak". That explains everything, I didn't think it's important.

And yes, he regularly drop condition quickly during a match. When rest of players have condition 68/69 at the end of the match, he sometimes has got 61/62, even at 70 minute. Natural fitness - 13. Yes, I do. He never had "Jaded and could use a rest".  No, only he is affected. I think it's some kind of bug.

All I want to add is he is not very old (29) and I often use higher tempo and closing down much more. But i don't think it matter. I use averge team cohesion training and free days after and before match.

Edited by LeonardSnart

On 2.01.2018 at 03:03, M4nager1a said:

You used higher tempo? and fouls aren't judged by aggression only.

Defenders with Poor Decision will make late Challange and concede cards

Edit:if your DM is a BWM,yellow cards are acceptable.Keep reminding him to calm down twice every match so he won't get sent off.

Yes, I did. My DM (DLP - D) has 18 decisions.

On 2.01.2018 at 05:39, phnompenhandy said:

His player instruction might be 'hard tackling' but his tackling attribute is low, so he keeps mis-timing tackles.

His tackling atribbute is 15.

4 hours ago, LeonardSnart said:

Yes, he has "has a competetive streak". That explains everything, I didn't think it's important.

And yes, he regularly drop condition quickly during a match. When rest of players have condition 68/69 at the end of the match, he sometimes has got 61/62, even at 70 minute. Natural fitness - 13. Yes, I do. He never had "Jaded and could use a rest".  No, only he is affected. I think it's some kind of bug.

All I want to add is he is not very old (29) and I often use higher tempo and closing down much more. But i don't think it matter. I use averge team cohesion training and free days after and before match.

Does he have a high Work Rate attribute? That can cause an addition hit to condition, especially if he already has a high intensity role. What are you playing him as? Ball Winning Midfielder? 

5 hours ago, LeonardSnart said:

Dudeeee,Competitive streak will make the player bend the rules more and concede unnecessary fouls.Who says its not important

Also,Higher tempo+Close doen more tires your player alot since those 2 instructions are stamina-killing instruction

Can someone please clarify the Mezzala and Carrilero roles for me, so it's easy to understand? I read a few threads, but I'm not sure I get it.

Firstly, am I right in thinking they occupy the following spaces?

tqQVJF5.jpg

When would one use a Carrilero instead of CM, for example? Maybe if you have an aggressive wing back and you want him to cover the space he leaves behind?

Is Mezzala just a very aggressive Carrilero?

I've signed a number of decent young players, all of which already have good determination. The older players I have that could tutor them either have negative PPM's or same determination. Is it even worth tutoring them if that's the case?

16 minutes ago, craiigman said:

I've signed a number of decent young players, all of which already have good determination. The older players I have that could tutor them either have negative PPM's or same determination. Is it even worth tutoring them if that's the case?

Check the personalities

4 hours ago, Wap92 said:

Can someone please clarify the Mezzala and Carrilero roles for me, so it's easy to understand? I read a few threads, but I'm not sure I get it.

Firstly, am I right in thinking they occupy the following spaces?

tqQVJF5.jpg

When would one use a Carrilero instead of CM, for example? Maybe if you have an aggressive wing back and you want him to cover the space he leaves behind?

Is Mezzala just a very aggressive Carrilero?

No, you're right on the Mezzala, but not the Carrilero.  Carrilero is like a B2B mid, but just doesn't go as far in either direction, he shuttles between defence and attack rather than box to box.

On 1/3/2018 at 19:51, Elitee said:

Course it's cheating - where's the fun in it.  That said, a new version of the game often has some intricacies to learn, so I might do this a bit to test some new tactics and learn before then starting a new proper game.

2 hours ago, jameseccross said:

No, you're right on the Mezzala, but not the Carrilero.  Carrilero is like a B2B mid, but just doesn't go as far in either direction, he shuttles between defence and attack rather than box to box.

Carrilero also covers lateral areas of the pitch, he doesn't just move up and down between the attack and defence. This is why I'm wondering when such a role is needed.

Same goes for the Mezzala, I sort of know what it's supposed to do in theory, but am struggling to know whether it would fit in my tactic or not. All I know is that it's a very offensive role that operates in the same area as IF would.

10 hours ago, jameseccross said:

Course it's cheating - where's the fun in it.  That said, a new version of the game often has some intricacies to learn, so I might do this a bit to test some new tactics and learn before then starting a new proper game.

Some sort like legal cheat ya XD

20 hours ago, Wap92 said:

Carrilero also covers lateral areas of the pitch, he doesn't just move up and down between the attack and defence. This is why I'm wondering when such a role is needed.

Same goes for the Mezzala, I sort of know what it's supposed to do in theory, but am struggling to know whether it would fit in my tactic or not. All I know is that it's a very offensive role that operates in the same area as IF would.

Basically, they're both central players who provide flank support. They strengthen the flanks without you actually having to add extra wide players. 

The Mezzala is mainly providing offensive support on the flanks - which can be useful if you play without a wide forward/attacking mid, or to support a lone wingback.

The Carillero is mainly providing defensive cover for the flanks - which can be useful if you play with a very adventurous wingback or if the opponent is hammering you on one of the flanks. 

1) Does "stick to positions" TI only really work when in possession of the ball? That's what i read somewhere. Of course attacking positioning also affects defensive positioning in the transition phase but what about a long spell of possession from the opponent, will "stick to position" still have any effect when defending then?

2) How much does "be more disciplined" and "be more expressive" affect your teams creative freedom? Let's says i play an attacking and very fluid system, which both increase creative freedom to very high values but then i enable "be more disciplined", would the creative freedom go down all the way as if i was playing on very structured and defensive? If not then how much would it go down?

Edited by hxp

Is there a way to make a central midfielder act kind of like a winger in attack?

Basically trying to play a midfield 3 with a RMD on the right but I want the CM that plays on the side of the RMD to run wide with the ball while the RMD is roaming (generally forward to act like a poacher). I know you can set a Mezzala to run wide with the ball but it's not an option for any other CM. Is there a way to emulate this or maybe force this player to run to the right?

28 minutes ago, Curtinho said:

Is there a way to make a central midfielder act kind of like a winger in attack?

Basically trying to play a midfield 3 with a RMD on the right but I want the CM that plays on the side of the RMD to run wide with the ball while the RMD is roaming (generally forward to act like a poacher). I know you can set a Mezzala to run wide with the ball but it's not an option for any other CM. Is there a way to emulate this or maybe force this player to run to the right?

Any reason why you don't want to use a Mezzala? That role does, in theory, pretty much what you're looking for. 

Just now, Liquid Cool said:

Any reason why you don't want to use a Mezzala? That role does, in theory, pretty much what you're looking for. 

Yeah I'm using FM17 for a few more weeks and testing out the tactic just to see how the engine implements it so I can tweak and transition over to FM18.

Is there any way in fm to replicate David Villa's positioning in this goal?

Basically how he stays almost on the touch line until an opportunity presents itself. Have been trying to emulate Barcelona under Guardiola this year but finding it very difficult to get this part right. It seems impossible to make wingers go as wide as that and they also seem to come inside much sooner in the build up than I'd like them to.

I'm also finding dribbling very underpowered, even with exceptional dribblers like Iniesta and Messi. Like for example in my last game Messi picked up the ball and ran about 15 yards just straight into an opponent who then tackled him. In general they barely ever seem to be able to beat their man. Is there any tactical solution to this or do I just have to accept that fm can't replicate their dribbling properly?

REALLY STOOPID question here - I really should know better but I just want confirmation .....

Training. You have General Training and Individual Player training.

My question is does reducing general training increase individual training?

If I keep general training on low and match prep on minimum, does it mean more time is spent on individual player training?

8 hours ago, phnompenhandy said:

REALLY STOOPID question here - I really should know better but I just want confirmation .....

Training. You have General Training and Individual Player training.

My question is does reducing general training increase individual training?

If I keep general training on low and match prep on minimum, does it mean more time is spent on individual player training?

No,ofc not.It reduces workload but individual workload wont increase(except if you increased it manually) 

4 hours ago, phnompenhandy said:

Well I keep General on Low and all Individual training on Heavy. It keeps the injury rage low, so I won't change anything.

Okay 😂 but keep in mind it'll hinder your player development.Add it once you don't have much matches

34 minutes ago, M4nager1a said:

Okay 😂 but keep in mind it'll hinder your player development.Add it once you don't have much matches

Not necessarily - players being out injured and unable to train from a heavy training workload will also be hindered in their development.  Finding the right balance is key.

Training question ... I'm noticing players have to come in much earlier than in the past to get a rating. Players coming on 63' for me get a rating, but players coming in 69' and 70' have not.

Does this mean bringing on a young player with 20-25 minutes left in the match gets him no 'game experience' for training and development purposes? In previous versions, players coming on before 75' did get a rating.

2 hours ago, Joey Numbaz said:

Training question ... I'm noticing players have to come in much earlier than in the past to get a rating. Players coming on 63' for me get a rating, but players coming in 69' and 70' have not.

Does this mean bringing on a young player with 20-25 minutes left in the match gets him no 'game experience' for training and development purposes? In previous versions, players coming on before 75' did get a rating.

I haven't heard this has changed.  @Seb Wassell?

Is it possible to create a defensive narrow formation that would work for a relegation favourite? I find that I get literally taken apart if I use a DM and sit deep - probably because that forces the opposition to go down the flanks, which is the weakest area. They create an overlap, FB gets pulled out of position and boom, I concede an unobstructed cross.

I have some success if I push my defensive line very high and close the wingers down before the overlap occurs, but that's obviously a very risky tactic for an inferior side.

8 hours ago, M4nager1a said:

Most weeks I have 2 fixtures up until January; so long as I'm out of the cups by then I have mostly just a Saturday game, at which point general training is upped to average/

13 hours ago, phnompenhandy said:

Most weeks I have 2 fixtures up until January; so long as I'm out of the cups by then I have mostly just a Saturday game, at which point general training is upped to average/

Okay :)

21 hours ago, herne79 said:

Not necessarily - players being out injured and unable to train from a heavy training workload will also be hindered in their development.  Finding the right balance is key.

Yeah Ikr.But it won't hurt to increase it to at least average

On 11/01/2018 at 19:28, 91427 said:

Is there any way in fm to replicate David Villa's positioning in this goal?

Basically how he stays almost on the touch line until an opportunity presents itself. Have been trying to emulate Barcelona under Guardiola this year but finding it very difficult to get this part right. It seems impossible to make wingers go as wide as that and they also seem to come inside much sooner in the build up than I'd like them to.

I'm also finding dribbling very underpowered, even with exceptional dribblers like Iniesta and Messi. Like for example in my last game Messi picked up the ball and ran about 15 yards just straight into an opponent who then tackled him. In general they barely ever seem to be able to beat their man. Is there any tactical solution to this or do I just have to accept that fm can't replicate their dribbling properly?

Anyone?

Am Montag, 8. Januar 2018 um 02:36 schrieb hxp:

1) Does "stick to positions" TI only really work when in possession of the ball? That's what i read somewhere. Of course attacking positioning also affects defensive positioning in the transition phase (i would call that passively affecting) but what about a long spell of possession from the opponent, will "stick to position" still have any effect when defending then?

2) How much does "be more disciplined" and "be more expressive" affect your teams creative freedom? Let's says i play an attacking and very fluid system, which both increase creative freedom to very high values but then i enable "be more disciplined", would the creative freedom go down all the way as if i was playing on very structured and defensive? If not then how much would it go down?

Anyone? This is confusing the hell out of me.

Another related question, why would you use "very fluid" with "stick to positions"? Would this have any practical use? If it doesn't actively affect defensive positioning (need confirmation) then i guess you could use it to play gegenpressing with a different (more disciplined) outlook on attacking. Let's say your central defender wins back possession in midfield after rushing out for a tackle, he will pass it short and then retreat back into his position instead of thinking he's a midfielder. Is this how it works?

What about "be more disciplined", how is that TI practical within a "very fluid" system?

20 minutes ago, hxp said:

Anyone? This is confusing the hell out of me.

Another related question, why would you use "very fluid" with "stick to positions"? Would this have any practical use? If it doesn't actively affect defensive positioning (need confirmation) then i guess you could use it to play gegenpressing with a different (more disciplined) outlook on attacking. Let's say your central defender wins back possession in midfield after rushing out for a tackle, he will pass it short and then retreat back into his position instead of thinking he's a midfielder. Is this how it works?

What about "be more disciplined", how is that TI practical within a "very fluid" system?

1) Stick to Positions is indeed an in possession TI.  But that doesn't necessarily mean a central midfielder for example is just going to hang around the half way line.  It won't even eliminate all player movement.  It's a tendency which may encourage greater control of players not straying too far from their positions relative to each other.  They'll tend to use the available space rather than go looking for it.  But note here "tend", not "will".  It's important.

2) Attacking + Very Fluid + Be More Disciplined will not see creative freedom go all the way down.  I'd estimate it'd go down a couple of notches to perhaps somewhere around the Flexible level, but be aware we're not dealing with massive amounts of creative freedom here anyway.  Yes there are differences, however your players will still work within the overall framework of your assigned roles and duties plus their own attributes.  Roles and duties define player behaviour, everything else modifies it.

3) Very Fluid is not going to make a central defender think he's a central midfielder, with or without stick to positions.  If he's rushing out for tackles, that'll probably have more to do with his levels of aggression, the amount of pressing you've set and/or if you have someone in the DM position or not.  Personally I wouldn't use very fluid with stick to positions, but I guess you could if you wanted to try to limit the amount of roaming your players do.  But if you feel the need to do that you're perhaps using the wrong Team Shape or roles/duties in the first place.

On 1/15/2018 at 09:21, Nic Madden said:

No, this hasn't changed as far as I am aware, it is 15 minutes of playing time to get a match rating.

Then you are saying these are bugs? @Nic Madden @Seb Wassell @herne79

Seems to me like the cutoff is 68 gets a rating, 70 does not (unless the player scores or gets an assist). I haven't been able to find a sub in all of my 17 games so far that came in at 69.

Screen Shot 2018-01-16 at 2.07.46 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-01-16 at 2.07.31 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-01-16 at 2.07.10 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-01-16 at 2.13.20 PM.png

Also, I don't care so much about whether or not a guy who doesn't do much in 20 minutes gets a rating ... but if it impacts training in terms of development experience from getting game-time, especially for youngsters, then it's a very big deal to know we have to have them announced into the game by 69' as opposed to 75'. Also not sure of why SI wouldn't count stoppage time in the 15-20 minute minimum, but they clearly don't.

Side note: It is great that stoppage times seem to be higher and more realistic in FM18. Definitely an improvement there.

23 minutes ago, Joey Numbaz said:

Also, how am I the only person that's noticed this?  I would have figured 3 months in this would have come up already, this seems strange.

I noticed this a long time ago and I also saw other people here on the forum talk about it a couple of months ago.

35 minutes ago, herne79 said:

You aren't.  There's another active thread on the forum at the moment with this issue and I've already asked SI to confirm.

Gotcha, hearing Nic and Seb say they weren't aware of it made me think it wasn't out there already. Thanks!

Is it possible to counter-press effectively (ME limitations withstanding) using a structured team shape? Would I see a significant difference If I were to use a fluid/very fluid team shape?

I have been really struggling with tactics on FM18. My 4231 from FM 17 didn't seem to work. I have tried 352 and had limited success (Playoffs in Serie C!) and to save my job in Serie B I went from 352 to a narrow 433. The change has been ridiculous. From no wins in 6 I have now won 7/9 with 1 defeat due to being reduced to 10 men early on.  We are scoring at least 3 a game and includes a 5-2 and 6-1 win.

I use attacking FB, a BWM, DLP D and B2B in midfield and 2 AF either side of a DLF up front.  I use Structured and Control with no Team or Player instructions.  The only change was to move one of the CB to a AF. Nothing else.

It has gone the other way now. I wasn't enjoying it because I kept losing and now it feels like I am cheating as it is so easy. 

Not really sure what my point is, just wanted to see what people's views are.

Maybe I am just never happy

46 minutes ago, kstoyle said:

I have been really struggling with tactics on FM18. My 4231 from FM 17 didn't seem to work. I have tried 352 and had limited success (Playoffs in Serie C!) and to save my job in Serie B I went from 352 to a narrow 433. The change has been ridiculous. From no wins in 6 I have now won 7/9 with 1 defeat due to being reduced to 10 men early on.  We are scoring at least 3 a game and includes a 5-2 and 6-1 win.

I use attacking FB, a BWM, DLP D and B2B in midfield and 2 AF either side of a DLF up front.  I use Structured and Control with no Team or Player instructions.  The only change was to move one of the CB to a AF. Nothing else.

It has gone the other way now. I wasn't enjoying it because I kept losing and now it feels like I am cheating as it is so easy. 

Not really sure what my point is, just wanted to see what people's views are.

Maybe I am just never happy

Playing three strikers is considered cheating by many since it exploits the match engine.
However, everyone can choose to play the game however they find it most fun. If you like your game more now than when you struggled then just keep using your tactic. It's up to you :)