Quickfire Questions and Answers Thread (Tactic and Training Questions Only)

Can the Static Target Man PPM be unlearned? I'm not seeing the option there. Found a 4-star striker prospect who is 6'6" and Mexican (I'm managing in Mexico, so natural born players are really needed) and absolutely want him to be my striker of the future. Just worried that PPM will impact the tactical setup. 

• Replies 17.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, Bigpapa42 said:

Can the Static Target Man PPM be unlearned? I'm not seeing the option there. Found a 4-star striker prospect who is 6'6" and Mexican (I'm managing in Mexico, so natural born players are really needed) and absolutely want him to be my striker of the future. Just worried that PPM will impact the tactical setup. 

It can yeah.

Also, all the PPM means is its someone who mainly plays in the box. 

48 minutes ago, Cleon said:

It can yeah.

Also, all the PPM means is its someone who mainly plays in the box. 

Thanks. I'll have to look in the PPM menus again. I generally like a bit more movement out of my strikers, although he really isn't the hard-working and mobile type. Yet. Hoping he develops a bit in that regard. He can probably still be useful even if he refuses to run - a 6'6" striker in the land of 5'9" central defenders....

Is there a good compromise for full-backs to have them go up the pitch not too soon and recklessly, and still try to overlap when the team is in a good situation to do it?
I have a 4-3-3 with 2 IF(a) and I tried 2 FB(a), and they were very high in the average position diagram, and one thing I noticed is that when the ball reached the bottom of the centre circle in the feet of my def mid, they launched themselves up to the mid point of the opposite half. I find it a bit soon and a bit too radical. I think they should go up to the central line for example. That way they would also offer solutions to my def mid.
The problem is, support makes them cross from deep, which I'm not too sure about. Especially since I ask the team to wait for overlap (will the FB prioritize his individual instruction to cross from deep or team instruction to overlap?). Wingback seems a bit too offensive maybe.

2 minutes ago, Romano338 said:

Is there a good compromise for full-backs to have them go up the pitch not too soon and recklessly, and still try to overlap when the team is in a good situation to do it?
I have a 4-3-3 with 2 IF(a) and I tried 2 FB(a), and they were very high in the average position diagram, and one thing I noticed is that when the ball reached the bottom of the centre circle in the feet of my def mid, they launched themselves up to the mid point of the opposite half. I find it a bit soon and a bit too radical. I think they should go up to the central line for example. That way they would also offer solutions to my def mid.
The problem is, support makes them cross from deep, which I'm not too sure about. Especially since I ask the team to wait for overlap (will the FB prioritize his individual instruction to cross from deep or team instruction to overlap?). Wingback seems a bit too offensive maybe.

The main issue in setting an attack duty is it is going to create a high-risk player, and that can look reckless but that this is what you are asking them to do: get forward and try to make something happen. Support duties I think are what you want. 

You have a couple options- fullbacks on support will get up, but as you say they are prone to early crossing.  The thing is, I have used FB/S lots of times and they will still cross from the byline or close to it if they have the time and space to get there. So think of that as a possible option. Wingbacks are more offensive yes, and they dribble. If your guys aren't bad on the ball, then a wingback S or even a wingback D might suit. You can always use  PI to mitigate some troubles. 

If you have a central midfield trio, you don't need to look for overlap do you? The CM is looking to make plays to more advanced men anyway.

1 minute ago, Romano338 said:

I'm trying support as we speak, and they don't go up enough. They really stop around 30m from the goal, even if the situation would ask them to go up (like if the IF in front of them has the ball and starts cutting inside).

What about a wingback on support?

What's the reason for 3 striker systems being so ridiculously strong this year?

I'm a very average fm player tactics wise and I spent maybe 5 minutes creating mine and have done no proper analysis or tinkering of it yet its still getting me far, far better results than I should be able to get. Obviously I expected to score quite a few goals but it seems ridiculously solid defensively as well which considering there's 3 players who do literally no defending doesn't make much sense to me.

The first save I did with it was with Man United who are obviously a very strong team but probably not strong enough to win the PL with 102 points (about 30 points ahead of 2nd place), concede easily less than a goal a game and finish with a GD of about +90, which is what ended up happening. Having a similar experience so far in my Torino save in terms of performing far beyond what you'd expect, currently top of Serie A in January.

Should stress again that I'm not particularly good at this game and don't adapt my tactics at all to the situation bar going defensive late on to hold onto a lead therefore I really don't think I should be able to get such good results, particularly considering I don't know of any team that plays with 3 up front the way fm represents it

Does the AI just not adapt to the tactic properly?

Are there marking issues in the ME?

Is exploiting the channels just OP?

I know there are quite a few people with a very deep knowledge of the ME on this forum so I'd be interesting to hear your thoughts

Edited by 91427

Le 02/12/2017 à 17:06, Dr. Hook a dit :

What about a wingback on support?

I think it's a good comprise.

I have a defensive problem that I keep seeing no matter my tactic, my mentality, my defenders, their speed, the formation I face, the speed of their strikers,...
So basically: how to stop over-the-top through ball that goes right onto their striker?! No matter what happens, what I ask, or how high/low I play, even on situation where there isn't much space behind my defense, the AI just has to launch the ball there and the striker will always get it. My defenders just let the striker free between them (or the 2 strikers). They act very very dumb, no matter what I ask.
I don't even count the number of goals I took when AI launched a ball from their half and my defenders, for no reasons, stood there and left the striker completely alone.
Just right now: I take 2 goals like that from their striker (including the first where my defense is low, there sin't much space, yet it works). I specify my CB to mark him very tight, and literally the next action, they launch the crazyest ball and my defender, who was marking him, just decided to stop marking him just before and left him alone.

Here that action: see on youtube
One that one, gotta admit we're fairly high. But the 12-red marks tighly to 90-green, until he decides he won't anymore. Doesn't even bother coming back, and it's the other CB (who is on the other side, so further) who has to come back.
And this is just one example of a very high number, in very different situations or not. It's like CB's AI is very dumb for us. Now I'm trying with a CB in cover, but he appears to be playing on the same height as the other one, and most importantly it changes nothing.

PS: 90-green is 13 pace & 12 acceleration, 12-red is 11 pace & 12 acceleration

Edited by Romano338

1 hour ago, BadAss88 said:

I thought it was necessary to give every player and individual focus on one attribute but then I see @Cleon it not doing, why? Is it better just to focus on role training? 

Individual attribute focus is extra and not necessary. And you'll find I do do it, just not for everyone and mention why in the thread you saw.

9 hours ago, Romano338 said:

I think it's a good comprise.

I have a defensive problem that I keep seeing no matter my tactic, my mentality, my defenders, their speed, the formation I face, the speed of their strikers,...
So basically: how to stop over-the-top through ball that goes right onto their striker?! No matter what happens, what I ask, or how high/low I play, even on situation where there isn't much space behind my defense, the AI just has to launch the ball there and the striker will always get it. My defenders just let the striker free between them (or the 2 strikers). They act very very dumb, no matter what I ask.
I don't even count the number of goals I took when AI launched a ball from their half and my defenders, for no reasons, stood there and left the striker completely alone.
Just right now: I take 2 goals like that from their striker (including the first where my defense is low, there sin't much space, yet it works). I specify my CB to mark him very tight, and literally the next action, they launch the crazyest ball and my defender, who was marking him, just decided to stop marking him just before and left him alone.

Here that action: see on youtube
One that one, gotta admit we're fairly high. But the 12-red marks tighly to 90-green, until he decides he won't anymore. Doesn't even bother coming back, and it's the other CB (who is on the other side, so further) who has to come back.
And this is just one example of a very high number, in very different situations or not. It's like CB's AI is very dumb for us. Now I'm trying with a CB in cover, but he appears to be playing on the same height as the other one, and most importantly it changes nothing.

PS: 90-green is 13 pace & 12 acceleration, 12-red is 11 pace & 12 acceleration

I had a look at your video- what it looks like to me is a perfect long ball to a player who has very good off the ball movement and anticipation, probably good acceleration too. Even with tight marking, opponents can lose their marker. That said, if this is pretty frequent for you, I would raise it in the bugs forums with some examples so that the SI QA/match engine team can take a look at it.

Can someone explain "roam from position" PI? For example what would be a difference between CM(sup) with "roam from position" pi and CM(sup) With no pis?

Also is there a difference between BBM and CM(sup) with "roam from position" or they both play the same?

guys did any of you also noticed that since recent patches your team has like 20 shots and only 5 are on target? really pisses me off, no matter what i do and try it happens in most games :/

also my striker wont score :/ Icardi with like 19 finishing misses 100% ccc's one after another only has like 20 goals in 35 games :/ 

Edited by cez

Okay, so I'm Liverpool & I just beat Stoke 1-0 at home but the problem is the fact I had 18 long shots out of 31 (58% of my shots). A lot of the time it seemed completely unnecessary & a waste of possession. Most of the time it seemed like it was my two central midfielders. A Roaming Playmaker (Coutinho, who does have the annoying PPM) & a Mezzala; Attacking (Wijnaldum).

I have 'Works Ball Into Box' & I told them both to shoot less. Any other ideas on how to stop it? 

14 minutes ago, retrodude09 said:

Okay, so I'm Liverpool & I just beat Stoke 1-0 at home but the problem is the fact I had 18 long shots out of 31 (58% of my shots). A lot of the time it seemed completely unnecessary & a waste of possession. Most of the time it seemed like it was my two central midfielders. A Roaming Playmaker (Coutinho, who does have the annoying PPM) & a Mezzala; Attacking (Wijnaldum).

I have 'Works Ball Into Box' & I told them both to shoot less. Any other ideas on how to stop it? 

Look at WHEN they are happening. No TI or PI is going to entirely prevent that if the players are continually seeing attacking situations where they lack available passing options and there is nothing else for them to do but have a crack. It can happen when you are very attacking and compressing the opponent - they are in a low block, playing deep, restricting passing lanes. Your players get forward but if you don't have movement, the player on the ball may not have good options. It can compound if your are on a high tempo, asking them to make a decision quickly. It can also happen due to isolation. So look at the circumstances of when these shots are occurring and you can start work out the why.

Are 'Exploit Flanks' and 'Look for Underlap' conflicting instructions?

My thought is to get the ball out wide to either FB's or WM's and play back inside when space is (hopefully) created by the opposition pressuring the width. However, still giving the system the width to create crossing opportunities.

Can anyone help me with this? I have searched online but not been able to find an answer. I don't want to have to start a new thread for it.

In FM17 is it possible to set up match preparation focus as an international management. I concede loads from set pieces and so my assistant manager tells me to prepare on defending set pieces but I can't find where I can set this as there is no training screen in international management.

what determines a second or third player closing down the same man?

decisions? team work?

on numerous occasions i have more than 1 player close down the same opponent leaving another unmarked. this seems to occur regardless of how aggressive i have the TI and PI set.

Hi,

Does anyone have a link to a guide on how the analysis button works on the tactics page?  If not can someone answer this:

Two of my centre mids have a red square behind them, does that mean thats exposed as they wont cover that area?  On the fee back I have two thumbs up reference goal scoring / locations, but a negative on goals conceeded location and I wondered if these red squares where highlighting my midfield leaving my defence exposed.

1 hour ago, mikcheck said:

Hi,

Do you consider agression,bravery and concentration vital for  BWM role?

Personally I love Aggression for a BWM.  It's an aggressive role so why use a passive player?  Bravery also important for me, Concentration nice to have.  A low amount of Dirtiness is vital as well otherwise you increase the risk of bookings/sendings off and don't forget Tackling.

I haven't looked at Kranevitter in FM18, but in FM16/17 he was my ideal BWM.

4 hours ago, Pablo Sanchez said:

Do you need to use a Sweeper keeper and offside trap with a high line? I am finding I am being hit with alot of through long balls over the top

"Need"?  No.  "Can" it help?  Yes.  Pacey central defenders with good anticipation can also useful for a high def. line.

18 minutes ago, herne79 said:

Personally I love Aggression for a BWM.  It's an aggressive role so why use a passive player?  Bravery also important for me, Concentration nice to have.  A low amount of Dirtiness is vital as well otherwise you increase the risk of bookings/sendings off and don't forget Tackling.

I haven't looked at Kranevitter in FM18, but in FM16/17 he was my ideal BWM.

Thanks herne.

I haven't played FM18, but judging by his attributes in FM17 Kranevitter is the perfect BWM, but unfortunately is way out of my budget. And the fact is that i'm not finding many players with the right attributes, within my budget.

What do you think of this guy? He still have some room to develop.

zakaria.jpg

3 minutes ago, mikcheck said:

Thanks herne.

I haven't played FM18, but judging by his attributes in FM17 Kranevitter is the perfect BWM, but unfortunately is way out of my budget. And the fact is that i'm not finding many players with the right attributes, within my budget.

What do you think of this guy? He still have some room to develop.

zakaria.jpg

I like his potential- for a BWM role, if I signed him, I would look to try and get his acceleration up a bit, and his tackling. His anticipation could use a bit of a boost too, but he has a good foundation for the role.

2 hours ago, Dr. Hook said:

I like his potential- for a BWM role, if I signed him, I would look to try and get his acceleration up a bit, and his tackling. His anticipation could use a bit of a boost too, but he has a good foundation for the role.

Thanks.

I wonder if agression can be improved?

3 hours ago, safcrhys said:

What are the best formations to use if you want to play on the counter?

I'm managing a lower league side with an very poor defence, so I need to pack the defence with bodies and rely on counter-attacks. I've therefore gone with a 4-2-3-1 Very Very Deep formation.

All 4 defenders + keeper on defence duties.

1 DM on BWM(d) duties

The other DM, ML, MC, MR, lone striker all on support duties.

You need a fast striker. It's worked very well for me; unfortunately my star striker's just been poached against my desperate pleas :seagull:

17 hours ago, safcrhys said:

What are the best formations to use if you want to play on the counter?

Andy has a nice setup there for a counter system. In general, "bottom heavy" formations work best for the counter as the idea is to have more men behind the ball so that you can trigger the fast, direct breakout. 3-5-2 with WBs works well, 4-5-1 etc. At the same time, you need to have roles and duties that complement the counter style, so for example if your 4-5-1 really plays like an attacking 4-3-3 it won't work as well.

On 14/12/2017 at 02:36, phnompenhandy said:

I'm managing a lower league side with an very poor defence, so I need to pack the defence with bodies and rely on counter-attacks. I've therefore gone with a 4-2-3-1 Very Very Deep formation.

All 4 defenders + keeper on defence duties.

1 DM on BWM(d) duties

The other DM, ML, MC, MR, lone striker all on support duties.

You need a fast striker. It's worked very well for me; unfortunately my star striker's just been poached against my desperate pleas :seagull:

18 hours ago, Dr. Hook said:

Andy has a nice setup there for a counter system. In general, "bottom heavy" formations work best for the counter as the idea is to have more men behind the ball so that you can trigger the fast, direct breakout. 3-5-2 with WBs works well, 4-5-1 etc. At the same time, you need to have roles and duties that complement the counter style, so for example if your 4-5-1 really plays like an attacking 4-3-3 it won't work as well.

Thank you both.

Hello,

Two questions:

1 - If you have a very good passer in DC or DMC position and you want them to sometimes launch long balls, i suppose not a good ideia to use play out from defence TI?

2- When you use 2 strikers tactics, is it fine to use them both with roles that moves into channels? Like a F9 and a AF? Or is it always better to have one more static like a Poacher?

Thanks!

my corners are set to play into the 6 yard box.

what would cause my taker to do this?

individual attributes of the taker? or if opposition doesn't mark the 'Lurker', taker sees it as better option?

9611f6238ed3ed7e7efb6cf67b10d5af.png

20 hours ago, mikcheck said:

Hello,

Two questions:

1 - If you have a very good passer in DC or DMC position and you want them to sometimes launch long balls, i suppose not a good ideia to use play out from defence TI?

2- When you use 2 strikers tactics, is it fine to use them both with roles that moves into channels? Like a F9 and a AF? Or is it always better to have one more static like a Poacher?

Thanks!

Can someone please give me an opinion? I'd really appreciate.