Quickfire Questions and Answers Thread (Tactic and Training Questions Only)

• SI Staff

Very briefly - 
Match Sharpness increases when matches are played and decreases when they are not. It is only natural for it to fall in between matches, especially if "in between matches" is a week or more.
Some players will hold onto their Match Sharpness better than others, a indicator of this can be Natural Fitness.
During serious injury or long periods without football Match Sharpness can plummet to as low as 35%.

• Replies 17.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• SI Staff
2 minutes ago, Joey Numbaz said:

Thanks for the info!

Any chance we could get the FAQs updated? :rolleyes: Since this is an SI site, I think many of us assume the FAQs are coming from authoritative sources. It also makes me (and I assume others) question how accurate any of the other things are.

I still feel like there is something I could be doing to keep match sharpness at 100%. I feel like I read something somewhere once that worked, but then I forgot about it, where I found it, what to do, etc. So I never made the tweak in my new save.

Those FAQs are unofficial, not directly from SI and based off of various sources. Presenting an official, more accurate source of information is something we would like to do and are looking into.

Thanks! I didn't realize they were unofficial. Appreciate the quick replies.

Is the forum "Online Manual" linked above official? i.e. when it says that other attributes like Crossing impact corners, even though in the game, when setting up a corner, for the taker, it only shows the corner attribute, not Crossing; or for Free Kick Takers, where the manual says things like composure and concentration have impact, but the game only shows the Free kick taking attribute for the takers on the tactical set up display - do those things actually matter? For things like marking the near post, 6 different attributes are displayed. But for takers, only the one is there, which is why I ask. Thanks for any insight.

@Joey Numbaz @Seb Wassell  Follow up - found it.  https://community.sigames.com/faq/football-manager-2017/85_gameplay/injuries-team-selection-tactics-r268/

That's actually a quote taken from the FAQ tab right at the top of the forum which only SI staff have access to editing.  So it is "official" but it's incorrect and needs an update which I can't do.

I think Seb was initially referring to our own FAQs section which is a pinned thread in this forum - that's the unofficial one so getting wires crossed I think.

If I have as a collective a very low determined squad, will that negatively effect youth team player's determination? 

I'm playing a youth challenge, so can't really do much about the existing determination that I've started with in the senior players, but any youth team player that is coming in, their determination is dropping. 

6 hours ago, BrianMunich said:

If I have as a collective a very low determined squad, will that negatively effect youth team player's determination? 

I'm playing a youth challenge, so can't really do much about the existing determination that I've started with in the senior players, but any youth team player that is coming in, their determination is dropping. 

Young players can, and often will be, affected by the squad's general character- in your case, they will pick up on the low determination attitude that your senior players collectively display. It goes for the good traits, too. All you can really do is likely rebuild your squad over time with players that have better personalities. I know it is a long-term proposition, but its really the only way to combat the issue.

• SI Staff
20 hours ago, BrianMunich said:

To add to Dr. Hook's reply - the impact should not be overwhelming however, it is certainly still possible to produce Determined players and over time you should be able to reverse the trend (provided some luck of course considering you are going for youth players only).

1 hour ago, Seb Wassell said:

To add to Dr. Hook's reply - the impact should not be overwhelming however, it is certainly still possible to produce Determined players and over time you should be able to reverse the trend (provided some luck of course considering you are going for youth players only).

Every youth player that has determination of above 10, and certainly anything desirable of upwards 13 is dropping at least 2 points. So I would say the impact is quite great at the moment.

It's got to a stage now where I've just had to sacrifice decent enough first team players who have determination of example 5, just to get them out of the club. I've not renewed their contracts, despite them being first teamers. So I've probably cost myself a couple of seasons of progress, as my side is now considerably weaker.

Any youth teamer that is coming into my intake, no matter their potential, I can't take them unless they've 13 determination. So this year, out of 7/8 that I should have brought in, and at least 2 that were ready for 1st team already, I've not taken.

So yeah, the impact is quite overwhelming! This player came into the first team shortly after an intake, he was good enough, and had the right determination I was after - around a year later it's dropped to 11 from 14! It's a freekin' joke. So from going from a player that is likely to play first team games and develop, he's now just plodding along not really developing :mad:

20170914154740_1.jpg

Edited by BrianMunich

4 hours ago, BrianMunich said:

Every youth player that has determination of above 10, and certainly anything desirable of upwards 13 is dropping at least 2 points. So I would say the impact is quite great at the moment.

It's got to a stage now where I've just had to sacrifice decent enough first team players who have determination of example 5, just to get them out of the club. I've not renewed their contracts, despite them being first teamers. So I've probably cost myself a couple of seasons of progress, as my side is now considerably weaker.

Any youth teamer that is coming into my intake, no matter their potential, I can't take them unless they've 13 determination. So this year, out of 7/8 that I should have brought in, and at least 2 that were ready for 1st team already, I've not taken.

So yeah, the impact is quite overwhelming! This player came into the first team shortly after an intake, he was good enough, and had the right determination I was after - around a year later it's dropped to 11 from 14! It's a freekin' joke. So from going from a player that is likely to play first team games and develop, he's now just plodding along not really developing :mad:

20170914154740_1.jpg

I don't know if I'd say it's "a joke."  Given your constraints it's certainly going to be an additional challenge, but for instance I make it a goal to ensure that my team has "highly/ultra professional" as our club reputation in order to leverage stuff like this to my benefit.

Is it a bug, or is there a reason that passing doesn't show for goalkeepers on the attribute changes screen?

Examples show passing and one on ones. Passing is trainable for goalkeepers and it is also mentioned in the Online Manual as impacting accuracy of kicks (along with technique I think).

Screen Shot 2017-09-14 at 3.41.42 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-09-14 at 3.42.21 PM.png

Where can I found information about how to be better at reading things happening during the match? I don't have lot of time during the week to play full 90 minutes match. Even if I had i wouldn't know what is going on, I am bad at reading matches.

8 hours ago, bosque said:

Where can I found information about how to be better at reading things happening during the match? I don't have lot of time during the week to play full 90 minutes match. Even if I had i wouldn't know what is going on, I am bad at reading matches.

I'd start (and did!) by reading pretty much anything by Cleon, found in the pinned guides at the top of the forum.

Rashidi also covers this sort of thing extensively in his videos on YouTube (bustthenet).

1 hour ago, herne79 said:

I'd start (and did!) by reading pretty much anything by Cleon, found in the pinned guides at the top of the forum.

Rashidi also covers this sort of thing extensively in his videos on YouTube (bustthenet).

I fixed all the links in 'The Art of series' too so all those threads should be fine again.

23 hours ago, BrianMunich said:

20170914154740_1.jpg

It's certainly far from ideal, but try not to overstate it too much either. Determination of 11 vs 14 is not going to be a major cause for a player's stalled development. It does affect development, but only as a factor among many. 11 is really not a bad determination rating.

Is it possible to have inverted wing backs that don't run with the ball? Whenever I use them I find that they are ruining the very system they are creating by running with the ball all the time. I just want them to sit and hold that midfield position without always trying to run into danger constantly.

My question is, how do you get a striker to play off the last man? I don't want them to come deep, I want them constantly looking to break the offside trap.

I am aware you can teach the PPM, but I don't ever see it translate to the game.

Edited by Deisler26

35 minutes ago, Deisler26 said:

My question is, how do you get a striker to play off the last man? I don't want them to come deep, I want them constantly looking to break the offside trap.

I am aware you can teach the PPM, but I don't ever see it translate to the game.

Use a poacher or advanced forward, that's the easiest way and probably the only two striker options that can work consistently, especially the poacher.

Here's a youth development question. I missed the update that determination (the attribute,) has a lot to do with players reaching the potential so I'm still experimenting. 

I have two players. Andrew Robertson, 25 who has a Resolute personality and 15 determination, and Trent Alexander-Arnolid, a Driven player with 18 Determination. Would having Roberton tutor TAA result in a positive, neutral, or negligible effect?  

While this is a specific example I'm curious about the balance of positive personalities and determination as a whole in player development. 

Edited by CamillePunk

3 minutes ago, CamillePunk said:

Here's a youth development question. I missed the update that determination (the attribute,) has a lot to do with players reaching the potential so I'm still experimenting. 

I have two players. Andrew Robertson, 25 who has a Resolute personality and 15 determination, and Trent Alexander-Arnolid, a Driven player with 18 Determination. Would having Roberton tutor TAA result in a positive, neutral, or negligible effect?  

It doesn't have a lot, its just another part of it that's all. As for the question, it really depends on his other hidden attributes. I personally favour resolute personality over driven but it really depends what type of player personalities you want to develop and bring through at the club.

All the better personality types tend to have high determination anyway, so there's nothing to worry about really.

2 minutes ago, Cleon said:

It doesn't have a lot, its just another part of it that's all. As for the question, it really depends on his other hidden attributes. I personally favour resolute personality over driven but it really depends what type of player personalities you want to develop and bring through at the club.

Thanks for the lightning quick response Cleon. :)

I was going by Rashidi's article about determination where he rated it to a great degree. I am mainly building a professional/resolute squad though so I may just go through with the tutoring. 

I don't use the editor so I have no idea about the hidden attributes.

Thanks again. 

Edited by CamillePunk

1 minute ago, CamillePunk said:

I was going by Rashidi's article about determination where he rated it to a great degree. I am mainly building a professional/resolute squad though so I may just go through with the tutoring. 

Thanks again. 

I think people all have their personal bias in that, I like high determination too... it's just a mentality I'd want for my players.  Resolute players are a good mix of professionalism and determination and I like my players to score well in that category too.

Keep an eye out for training reports for players because it is still possible that some may have a "casual approach to training" which would indicate that they probably have low ambition.  That said, it's a long game especially if you're dealing with them as  16-18 year olds.  You'll have probably 7-10 years of solid development out of them and them growing a smidge slower may not be that big of an issue.

5 minutes ago, CamillePunk said:

Thanks again. 

Exactly what Alan says above. Rashidi's is just describing his preferred method really and explaining why he favours a very high determination rating.

Edit: my bad, got it sorted now, 20 year olds count as "over 20" in some cases

I have an odd problem, for some reason my  u20's manager doesn't play any first team players i make available for the u20's.

I'm playing in Serie B in Italy and the rules state that one over 20 player can play in the reserves so it should work, i have seen other clubs do it aswell. I tried everything, sack the u20 manager, rest all u20 players (they play anyway), move all u20 players to senior team (the manager will use grey players), move first team player directly into the u20's etc.... nothing.

The only thing that probably works is taking control of the reserves for a match but i'm already busy enough with the first team. :rolleyes:

Edited by hxp
delete if you want

• SI Staff
On 17/09/2017 at 06:43, CamillePunk said:

While this is a specific example I'm curious about the balance of positive personalities and determination as a whole in player development. 

Determination = Ambition = Professionalism

The TI tighter marking tells players to mark a player closely in defensive situations. Your team still does zonal marking, but in defensive situations they will sit a bit more tightly on a player who enters their zone. Its useful against sides you don't want to give too much time on the ball. The downside of using this instruction is when you opt to use it against a team that has better acceleration than your players. If your players are slower than the opposition player, getting them to mark tight could see them get turned too easily. 

It really will depend on the formation you are playing against and the kind of players you have at your disposal.  You also have the option to use Tight marking from opposition instructions as well. Players like Eden Hazard and Gareth Bale, are notoriously difficult to tight mark, their acceleration and good balance and agility allow them to beat players on the turn. So use this TI carefully.

1. Do you change formation every game to the formation your opponents are vulnerable to facing 

2. Why do opposition players run straight past your full backs but your wingers get tackled every time 

3. Do you change your team instructions as soon as you concede? 

4. Why does every striker I buy that scores loads of goals for other teams not score any for me 

5. Do you only use target man for the long ball game? 

6. Why do some players have high stats but are useless when you play them 

7. Can I play a player who is unhappy? 

8. How do you make a player happy again? 

9. Can you use reserve youngsters in your first team that are good prospects but have low stats? 

10. Why do you hardly ever score from a corner? 

11. Why is the game so complicated? It takes away the enjoyment of the game 

I think that will do for now 

2 hours ago, BigLarusso said:

1. Do you change formation every game to the formation your opponents are vulnerable to facing 

2. Why do opposition players run straight past your full backs but your wingers get tackled every time 

3. Do you change your team instructions as soon as you concede? 

4. Why does every striker I buy that scores loads of goals for other teams not score any for me 

5. Do you only use target man for the long ball game? 

7. Can I play a player who is unhappy? 

8. How do you make a player happy again? 

9. Can you use reserve youngsters in your first team that are good prospects but have low stats? 

10. Why do you hardly ever score from a corner? 

11. Why is the game so complicated? It takes away the enjoyment of the game 

I think that will do for now 

1. No

2. Because either they are bad at what they are supposed to do or you may be playing the wrong mentality/defensive line

3. No

4. He doesn't like you ?

5. Never used a target man, I like options.

6. Never happens to me, it must be you.

7. Of course, unless you are unhappy, then may I suggest a good alternative monitor?

8. Stroke him, gently. Play him a lot, and make sure he's well compensated for the effort.

9. Why not? I do it all the time, I usually make them feel the raw power of expectations in meaningless league cup matches.

10. You're speaking for yourself I assume?  I actually managed a hat trick of goals from a corner :-) 

11. It isn't complicated, simple solution. Create a tactic, hire Bobby Mimms. Ask him to manage your side. He will choose default roles and a default formation with minimal TIs. The only thing that will screw him over is if you are horrendous at buying players. Its the easiest mode to play. Does it require you to tweak no. It does give me too much time on the coffee machine. It is the easiest mode in the game. Mimms is my holiday man, I always pick him for long term career saves when I am more serious about my coffee than the game.

9 minutes ago, Rashidi said:

11. It isn't complicated, simple solution. Create a tactic, hire Bobby Mimms. Ask him to manage your side. He will choose default roles and a default formation with minimal TIs. The only thing that will screw him over is if you are horrendous at buying players. Its the easiest mode to play. Does it require you to tweak no. It does give me too much time on the coffee machine. It is the easiest mode in the game. Mimms is my holiday man, I always pick him for long term career saves when I am more serious about my coffee than the game.

@Rashidi you should see if you can get the real Bobby Mimms to do one of the manage England episodes or something similar for your Youtube channel :D

7 hours ago, Rashidi said:

1. No

2. Because either they are bad at what they are supposed to do or you may be playing the wrong mentality/defensive line

3. No

4. He doesn't like you ?

5. Never used a target man, I like options.

6. Never happens to me, it must be you.

7. Of course, unless you are unhappy, then may I suggest a good alternative monitor?

8. Stroke him, gently. Play him a lot, and make sure he's well compensated for the effort.

9. Why not? I do it all the time, I usually make them feel the raw power of expectations in meaningless league cup matches.

10. You're speaking for yourself I assume?  I actually managed a hat trick of goals from a corner :-) 

Thanks buddy 

I play fm touch on my iPad and I have hired a 4 star assistant but I don’t have the option to put him in charge of the team I don’t think 

3 minutes ago, markus_aurelius said:

What's the whipped crosses for? I have never used these

From Lines and Diamonds, one of the guides pinned at the top of the forum : 

Whipped Crosses, Floated Crosses and Low Crosses instruct players to use specific techniques when crossing the ball. Whipped crosses are delivered at a high velocity. They are more difficult to defend against, but they are also far less accurate. They can be useful when you are just looking to create chaos in a crowded penalty area and have players who are good at attacking the second ball. Floated crosses are a good option if you have tall, powerful forwards, but they won’t present much trouble to tall defenders or a commanding goalkeeper. Low crosses are a good option if you have smaller, faster attackers, but they are unlikely to find their target if played into a crowded area.

• SI Staff
11 hours ago, BigLarusso said:

Probably because they have low Consistency. This is a hidden attribute that is referred to in reports if it is either high or low.

Consistency effectively modifies CA (and thus attributes) on a per game basis. So a player with 20 Consistency will almost always play to their actual CA (best), whilst a player with 1 Consistency would only play to their CA (best) say 5% of the time.

• SI Staff
27 minutes ago, samuelawachie said:

I've checked, but can't find the info I need. On FM 2014, in Match Preparation training, is the focus on "Team work" cumulative or not? I know that Tactics is cumulative, but is Team work also cumulative? @Cleon @Rashidi @Seb Wassell @Neil Brock

No, it is a one match boost to Teamwork and Blend.

50 minutes ago, samuelawachie said:

I've checked, but can't find the info I need. On FM 2014, in Match Preparation training, is the focus on "Team work" cumulative or not? I know that Tactics is cumulative, but is Team work also cumulative? @Cleon @Rashidi @Seb Wassell @Neil Brock

23 minutes ago, Seb Wassell said:

No, it is a one match boost to Teamwork and Blend.

Just to add, what do you mean "tactics is cumulative"?

Tactics (General Training focus) develops certain player attributes.

Tactics (Match Preparation) improves your team's knowledge of your defined tactic(s).

They are totally different things.

Hi, was thinking, is it true to some extent that most tactics (or actually should I say proper roles & duties combination) should work if the player attributes allow him to perform the role & duty properly? I'm asking this because back then I thought there's some magic formula for roles and duties permutations that I couldn't find and hence I couldn't create solid tactics, but  lately I think that most of those tactics were alright to say, just that I didn't have the required attributes in players performing those roles & duties.

Or is it wrong and actually player attributes matter a lot, but it's more important how you set up your system so player roles & duties can blend together perfectly?

1 hour ago, nightwalker22 said:

Hi, was thinking, is it true to some extent that most tactics (or actually should I say proper roles & duties combination) should work if the player attributes allow him to perform the role & duty properly? I'm asking this because back then I thought there's some magic formula for roles and duties permutations that I couldn't find and hence I couldn't create solid tactics, but  lately I think that most of those tactics were alright to say, just that I didn't have the required attributes in players performing those roles & duties.

Or is it wrong and actually player attributes matter a lot, but it's more important how you set up your system so player roles & duties can blend together perfectly?

It's not really one or the other- it's both. You have to have a good system with roles and duties, but it won't be worth spit if your players can't perform what you ask of them. Likewise, you can have great players and a terribly designed system that won't accomplish near as much as it should. If you had to choose, I would lean on the side of the better players because they can make more happen out of crap. You could stick world class players in a terrible system and they would still manage to play well. In your case, you may well have had good ideas but not the players to make them work. Here's how you can tell- load up FM touch with a top club and use your system. With elite players, you will be able to know whether your system works well or not.

Is it important when you select which specific Match Prep you want for a match? 

When you receive scout reports for your next match, there is the option to select the Match Prep you want for the next match. These reports are normally a few days before the game. Does it matter if you select the Match Prep then, or on the tactics selection screen on matchday? Is there more or less of a benefit to select earlier or later? Particularly if you have Match Prep % set at a higher level and it runs for 2-3 days of training? And what happens if Match Prep is set at the highest level (so there are 3 training days before the match set to Match Prep) and then on the matchday tactics screen you change the Match Prep right before the game? Where does the benefit go, the original Match/Prep area, or the newly selected one?

• SI Staff
1 hour ago, Barf_Vader said:

Is it important when you select which specific Match Prep you want for a match? 

When you receive scout reports for your next match, there is the option to select the Match Prep you want for the next match. These reports are normally a few days before the game. Does it matter if you select the Match Prep then, or on the tactics selection screen on matchday? Is there more or less of a benefit to select earlier or later? Particularly if you have Match Prep % set at a higher level and it runs for 2-3 days of training? And what happens if Match Prep is set at the highest level (so there are 3 training days before the match set to Match Prep) and then on the matchday tactics screen you change the Match Prep right before the game? Where does the benefit go, the original Match/Prep area, or the newly selected one?

Only the last Match Prep focus selected has an impact.

More days of Match Prep training = quicker increase to Tactical Familiarity.

19 minutes ago, hxp said:

Hi all, i'm in my 2nd season right now playing in Serie B as ACR Messina. I choose this club because they have a nice stadium with a capacity of about 38k. Now for some reason i got a message in my inbox about "filling out" the capacity against a rival team but that capacity is only 6900. I know some leagues have regulations like not allow standing terraces but i don't think this is the case in Serie B. I can't find anything in the competitions tab about any stadium regulations.

Anyone know what the deal is here? I don't mind having a cap of 6900 in Serie B because i barely sell out anyway but when i get promoted to Serie A this will be a huge let down.

This question is better off asked in the General Discussion forum

Hi! 

Stupid question,  but if you want a player to learn/unlearn a ppm and the coach responds with something like: "I don't see him able to do that,  I recommend x move instead".

Does that mean that the player can never learn/unlearn that specific ppm? Or can I find another coach with for example higher level of discipline, and then the chance to learn the ppm will increase? 

1 hour ago, Mindtrick_42 said:

Hi! 

Stupid question,  but if you want a player to learn/unlearn a ppm and the coach responds with something like: "I don't see him able to do that,  I recommend x move instead".

Does that mean that the player can never learn/unlearn that specific ppm? Or can I find another coach with for example higher level of discipline, and then the chance to learn the ppm will increase? 

You don't have to listen to your coaches (you're the boss after all !) and they can be wrong.  However there's also a fairly good chance they could be right (depending on the quality of the coach) so you need to make a judgement call.  If the coach is good quality and is relevant to the Trait you want to learn / unlearn, he'll have a much better chance of being right than if you are talking to a poor quality coach who isn't relevant.

I'm afraid there's no straight answer to give because it's not a simple question of yes or no and there are no guarantees.