Quickfire Questions and Answers Thread (Tactic and Training Questions Only)

can anyone answer this? im sure there used to be a link kicking around in the tactics section that let you download a big bunch of historic, popular & alternative tactics that would appear in your game in the archived tactics bit. not sure who made it but i think it was the 'tactics theorems' guys. is it still around to download and if so can somebody point me in the right direction? many thanks.

• Replies 17.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the feedback from all of you regarding this idea.

Clearly it needs a bit of thinking through.

Perhaps a thread for each group initially might make sense, thereby limiting the potential number of threads but also allowing enough separation so that discussions do not become confused?

I really like the potential for the idea anyway and I think it could generate some great discussion.

Perhaps you could have a chat with your fellow mods Heathxxx and decide on how it could work in terms of the threads?

A thread for each group seems reasonable. I'll have a chat with wwfan & Cleon and see if they think making them sticky topics nearer the time would be a good idea or not.

Is there a guide to the tactics 'lingo' anywhere in the forum? I dont quite understand what it means when the numbers are supposed to represent 'clicks' on a certain instruction slider.

for example would 'Mentality - 10' equal 10 clicks from the far left or the middle of a slider?

Or, are thay all just relative to each other, for example, if you had one player who should be 'Mentality - 10' and another who was 'Mentality - 6' then would they just be 4 clicks apart relative to each other, but the actual positions on the slider are relative to your tactics?

I hope that makes sense! Im just trying to get into the more in depth tactics creating & tweaking so would like to be able to understand the threads!

Thanks

Is there a guide to the tactics 'lingo' anywhere in the forum? I dont quite understand what it means when the numbers are supposed to represent 'clicks' on a certain instruction slider.

for example would 'Mentality - 10' equal 10 clicks from the far left or the middle of a slider?

Or, are thay all just relative to each other, for example, if you had one player who should be 'Mentality - 10' and another who was 'Mentality - 6' then would they just be 4 clicks apart relative to each other, but the actual positions on the slider are relative to your tactics?

I hope that makes sense! Im just trying to get into the more in depth tactics creating & tweaking so would like to be able to understand the threads!

Thanks

They are absolute, not relative.

However, you don't necessarily need to be precise with your placements. You can put the slider anywhere in the "area" in see the same effect.

Is there a chart that details what attributes are important for what position?

A lot of it is personal opinion. For example, it's generally thought that tackling is crucial for a centre back, but I know of one user who doesn't mind if his centre backs can't tackle, because they don't need to tackle in his system.

Do you want your central midfielders to be pacy? Do you want your full backs to get forward and whip in crosses? Do you need your centre backs to be good at shooting as they'll be cutting inside?

If you are using the TC, it's done for you with the highlighting. If not, think of what you want the player to do, or what skills you'd like him to possess, and then look for attributes that go with your expectations and desires.

They are absolute, not relative.

However, you don't necessarily need to be precise with your placements. You can put the slider anywhere in the "area" in see the same effect.

A lot of it is personal opinion. For example, it's generally thought that tackling is crucial for a centre back, but I know of one user who doesn't mind if his centre backs can't tackle, because they don't need to tackle in his system.

Do you want your central midfielders to be pacy? Do you want your full backs to get forward and whip in crosses? Do you need your centre backs to be good at shooting as they'll be cutting inside?

If you are using the TC, it's done for you with the highlighting. If not, think of what you want the player to do, or what skills you'd like him to possess, and then look for attributes that go with your expectations and desires.

Thanks a bunch!

I didnt want to create a new thread for this question, but i just went into backroom advice, and they recommend tutoring a youngster with one of my senior players. The thing i dont understand is, that if i interact with the youngster i dont get the choice of toutoring him. Why cant i tutor him without the backroom advice?

Just a quick (and probably stupid) question. For outfield players, there is an attribute labelled "goalkeeper skill" (on the left of the screen, under Other), and I was wondering if any players have a value greater than 1 for this, as I have never come across any.

Also, for goalkeepers, the reverse attribute is in place (outfield skill), and I've never seen that above one either. :confused:

Any insights?

MattFergie

An outfield player can have rating greater than 1 in goalkeeping rating. I do have few players that have greater ratings than that. And vice verse for goalkeepers. It doesn't have to be one.

Olejosea,

Sometimes it is unavailable. I don't know the reason.

MattFergie

An outfield player can have rating greater than 1 in goalkeeping rating. I do have few players that have greater ratings than that. And vice verse for goalkeepers. It doesn't have to be one.

Olejosea,

Thanks for that :) literally 5 minutes after posting, I see a player with a rating of 2. Sod's law :o Do you know the maximum value for the attribute?

Olejosea,

well, it was available through backroom advise they suggested a tutor for him (which i selected "tutor him" and the process began, but if i went directly to interact with the player i couldnt tutor him..

Just a quick (and probably stupid) question. For outfield players, there is an attribute labelled "goalkeeper skill" (on the left of the screen, under Other), and I was wondering if any players have a value greater than 1 for this, as I have never come across any.

Also, for goalkeepers, the reverse attribute is in place (outfield skill), and I've never seen that above one either. :confused:

Any insights?

There is pretty much two distinct "Technical Profiles" for each player, the Outfield and Goalkeeping set. One of which is hidden for either player and cannot be improved but is generalised and defined by their rating in that area.

So imagine a striker for example, he will have both an "outfield" technical profile and "goalkeeping" technical profile. However his "goalkeeping" profile is hidden and does not take up CA, nor can it be changed whatsoever. Likewise for a goalkeeper, but in reverse.

Thanks for that :) literally 5 minutes after posting, I see a player with a rating of 2. Sod's law :o Do you know the maximum value for the attribute?

I am not really sure. I suppose it is either 10 or 20 :D

Sudden desperation, is it? Or just general inquiry :p

Can't be arsed to search through all forums, but got a stupid question!

How the hell do you set up PLAYER PREFERRED MOVE?! I can't find the way to set it up -.-.

Through player interaction...

And player may pick up PPM's through tutoring too...

My center backs, whilst playing fairly well, often let strikers turn them or less frequently, run straight through. My marking is set on default, what would be best? I'm at League 1 level.

EDIT: And also, if I make my overall training level (the Medium, High, e.t.c bar at the bottom) for a new schedule, to the same as the training schedule I use now, would it make any difference to fitness levels?

Question regarding the mentality slider. There's 2 sliders, 1 for the player, and 1 for the team. Does the player's silder overwrite's the team slider? Or is a player's mentality a combination of both sliders? Similar, question regarding the passing slider.

I'm asking because I believe if I change some of the player's sliders, it will overwrite the team's slider, for example, tight marking, zonal/man marking, tackling.

Team "X" has a long pitch, this equals defending higher up. Scout says .....It is advised to deep. Which is the correct way forward, please?

Think about it for a second, imagine playing as a centre-back on a very long pitch with a high defensive line. Behind you will be tons of space for a quick counter-attack from the opposition. I suggest playing deep but if you have fast defenders or a sweeper keeper who is good enough you could use a high one!

Yes. I did read that but I just don't understand anchor man and def mid role. 1 only has TTB on mixed, closing down a little more, that's the difference?

There is very little difference. DM can change to "support".

Team "X" has a long pitch, this equals defending higher up. Scout says .....It is advised to deep. Which is the correct way forward, please?

It depends on the speed of your defenders. If they are quick, have them push up and restrict the opposition. If they are slow, have them sit deep, as then they'll be less vulnerable to players getting in behind on the counter.

However, remember that the differences in pitch size are tiny, especially at the top level. Five metres is very little compared to park football, where you could have a 50m variation. It's almost worth ignoring pitch size when you set your defensive line.

How would you go about eliminating the aerial supply to a big forward? I was thinking a wide formation which would close down crosses and man-mark with a defender such as Heitinga who has one less attribute for heading, same jumping and is agressive. Playing as Everton with the only transfer being M. Diarra (DM) in on a loan with future fee.

Yobo is an alternative as he has the same heading/ jumping stats as Roland Linz but lacks agression/ bravery. He did however boss Chelsea's forward line, winning a lot of headers in that game.

How would you go about eliminating the aerial supply to a big forward?

Eliminate the supply at source. For a big forward this usually means crosses from the flanks and uncontested longballs from deep, which means you should be looking to disrupt passes from deep and wide positions.

Playing a high pressing game to force the opponents key distributors into rushed or inaccurate passes is what you want. Press the opponent high up the pitch so his defenders have no time to measure a decent pass, man mark his wingers so any quick out-ball from defence is immediately under pressure and prevents good buildup from the wide areas. Push your defence up to limit his threat from any passes he wins in the air.

Instead of sitting deep and narrow, play high up and aggressive. Combine constant pressure on players with poor delivery from range, to an advanced D-Line that minimises the threat of balls won in the air. If forced into a defensive position do not try to win the header, but try to win the headed pass. Win the second ball and not the first. Play a cover centreback, or multiple covering defenders and have combatative DMs ready to mop up and harrass knockdowns or hold-up passes.

In manager speak cut off or harrass the supply and make sure you win the second ball.

I have always used "pick up where you left off" during Pep talks whenever applicable. However, my players do not appear any more motivated and always are not listening.

When and how should I use the "Pick up where you left off" option?

Any training schedule experts around? I have just bought an amazing 21 yr old MC regen, except his jumping is 3, and to be honest having paid 13M this bothers be to the point of losing sleep. would a schedule with heavy aerobic and lighter everything else be a) likely to increase his jumping b) detremental to other attributes? I am hoping to increase his jumping to at least 8ish, is this likely to be achievable? If so any ideas of timescale? Thanks for any help!

Nice and simple question.

Is there a thread or something I can read about coaches and training? I need a better set piece coach and I'm not sure what stats I should be looking at, thought I had someone good but the game doesn't agree with me.

Hi, I was looking for larger topic but I can't find anyting that would please me. It will be pretty long post.

I have very big problem with percentage of completed passes. I always have about 50-65% - that's horrible.

so here is my question, what have an affect on this part? I'm looking for very precise answer that will help me improving my tactic. from RFD's to through balls etc. Propably I'm doing some very obvious mistakes but I can't figure out where. I'm not expert in instructions so don't think that some advices may be too simple, every advice can help me I think :)

some explanations:

I'm playing with Napoli, 4-1-4-1.

Here is my players offensive stats with technique included: http://i47.tinypic.com/30xhi4g.jpg

And here is my tactic: http://www.sendspace.com/file/g3u0dt

As you can see I have players with pretty good passing, technique etc. so the problem must be in tac.

I also made few screen shots with teams from all shaves in Serie A to convince you that problem is big, very big.

vs Juventus - http://i50.tinypic.com/2r27hac.jpg

vs bari - http://i50.tinypic.com/nffxmq.jpg

vs Inter - http://i49.tinypic.com/jv17br.jpg

vs Sampdoria - http://i45.tinypic.com/244tx51.jpg

It affects my CCC's (or as I prefer - NO CCC's), possesion, automatically my players shoots from long distance or wingers run down the flank and, if all went well, it ends on a corner cick for me. for my luck I have Hamsik and he almost alone lead the team to the second place after 15 matches.

My lone striker. I'm playing in tactical challenge so I can't try out playing with 2 strikers. I can't find role that will suit him well. It doesn't matter if Lavezzi, Quagliarella or Hoffer are playing - Quagliarella scored one goal and made 2 assits on 13 performances, Hoffer once scored a hat-trick and then 6 matches without goal or assist, Lavezzi one goal and one assist in 5 performances (he scored more but when he was playing as my right midfielder).

maybe some ideas or advices how to play with one striker when playing flat 4 in midfield + DMC?

Getting out the best from deep-lying playmaker (DMC). No matter if Gago or Cigarini are playing. only 7 assists in 15 matches and 6 of them are from set pieces. it is propably combined with the first two issues but this post is about all my problems and this is definitely one of them.

if there is a better thread for this post then you can transfer it and let me know where I can find the answers for my "questions".

huh, that should be all

DMCs won't get that many assists if they play that deep. I'd say 1 in 15 isn't bad. Maybe give them more direct passing?

Lone strikers are annoyingly ineffective in my experience, though I can get them to get lots of assists. Have you tried Lavezzi as an advanced forward? He played well there for me as Napoli, when I had him partnered with Quagiliarella. It's also the role I find lone strikers best suited to.

If you want to increase the passing percentage, use shouts like "retain possession", "pass to feet" and "take a breather".