Quickfire Questions and Answers Thread (Tactic and Training Questions Only)

1 hour ago, hicuty said:

And how teams handle this in real life? 

In real life, you want the opp. fullbacks and wingers cutting inside and trying to pass the ball into the box vertically, not horizontally.  So I'd show the LB and LW onto their right foot, and reverse it on the other side.  IRL, you'd play wider.  Finally, IRL, you'd want your wide players to be very quick, very good markers.  You want them to win their 1v1 battles and force the opponent inside, where they aren't going to cross.

I don't know how it might work in FM, but you'd probably benefit from tweaking your central midfield to invite passes into the middle so long as the opponent is 35-40 yards from goal, and then have the MCs try to pick off entry passes.

• Replies 17.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

39 minutes ago, Leccy said:

What is the difference between anticipation and positioning?

And If I can't afford a player with good attributes in both, which should take a priority for which positions?

Anticipation is mainly an attacking stats for strikers/wingers. Positioning is a defensive stat.

There's very little point in looking for players who are proficient in both.

1 hour ago, Leccy said:

What is the difference between anticipation and positioning?

And If I can't afford a player with good attributes in both, which should take a priority for which positions?

46 minutes ago, the--dud said:

Anticipation is mainly an attacking stats for strikers/wingers. Positioning is a defensive stat.

There's very little point in looking for players who are proficient in both.

Your central defenders may struggle without decent Anticipation ;).

Anticipation relates to how well your players can predict what their team mates or opposition players may do.  So it can help your striker predict when a team mate may look to make a killer pass to him, and so when to make his off the ball run.  It can also help a defender predict when the striker may make that movement.

Positioning is primarily a defensive attribute and relates to how a player places himself on the pitch when defending.

Anticipation + Positioning can be a great combination for defenders.  Anticipation + Off the Ball can likewise be great for attacking players.

3 minutes ago, herne79 said:

Your central defenders may struggle without decent Anticipation ;).

Anticipation relates to how well your players can predict what their team mates or opposition players may do.  So it can help your striker predict when a team mate may look to make a killer pass to him, and so when to make his off the ball run.  It can also help a defender predict when the striker may make that movement.

Positioning is primarily a defensive attribute and relates to how a player places himself on the pitch when defending.

Anticipation + Positioning can be a great combination for defenders.  Anticipation + Off the Ball can likewise be great for attacking players.

Sorry I didn't mean to give incorrect advise but I've played since FM07 and I always thought that Anticipation was a purely attacking stat... I'm a little embarrassed now :p 

30 minutes ago, the--dud said:

Sorry I didn't mean to give incorrect advise but I've played since FM07 and I always thought that Anticipation was a purely attacking stat... I'm a little embarrassed now :p 

lol no worries :thup:.  One of the great things about this game is there's always something else to learn :).

I have a question about youth recruitment network. I asked my board to increase my youth recruitment level and my request was accepted. Before i asked, the level was "average", now is "above average". But when I checked with in-game editor, this level remained unchanged (it's "10", same as before my request). How does it really work? Is this problem related with game editor or maybe I simply should wait a couple of months to get this number higher? I'm asking because (correct me if I'm wrong) the real factor that determines PA of my annual intake regens is in fact this number (or attribute, I don't know how to call it) and not the description (average/above average). :) 

On 11-12-2016 at 23:09, Jorgen said:

Will FM16 tactics work on FM17?

I had great success with Fenech's  tactic and I would like to know if the match engines are alike or to different

If I try this, will it work, or will it break the game / not load at all?

So I got this player right here: 

6AFAF42B062F53EBBB6C087BCCD83A19F8D8EB50

Some time ago I started to work on his weaker foot ppm. Which was 'Reasonable'. Now after a couple of months ingame I get the update that he developed his weaker foot so I go to his player screen and see that his left foot still is 'Reasonable' but on his Preferred Moves tab it states 'Attempts To Develop Weaker Foot'. Does this mean he's still developing his weaker foot over time or is this some sort of bug?

1 hour ago, yipster1986 said:

So I got this player right here: 

6AFAF42B062F53EBBB6C087BCCD83A19F8D8EB50

Some time ago I started to work on his weaker foot ppm. Which was 'Reasonable'. Now after a couple of months ingame I get the update that he developed his weaker foot so I go to his player screen and see that his left foot still is 'Reasonable' but on his Preferred Moves tab it states 'Attempts To Develop Weaker Foot'. Does this mean he's still developing his weaker foot over time or is this some sort of bug?

After just a couple of months he's probably developed his weaker foot a little, just not much.

Think of a scale between 1 and 10 (for example).  He may have started as a "5" (ie., Reasonable) and now moved on to perhaps a "6", which could still be thought of as "Reasonable".  Give it 6 months and see how he is then.

5 minutes ago, yipster1986 said:

I get that but what I'm wondering is why is it showing with his PPM's? It's in the screenshot, I cant recall seeing this before listed under his PPM's. That's why I asked :)

It's an on going thing and a 2 part process.  First part is he learns the PPM that will allow him to develop his weaker foot.  Once he's learned the PPM, the 2nd part is he starts using the PPM to actually begin developing his weaker foot.

Agree it could be clearer in game.

Just now, herne79 said:

It's an on going thing and a 2 part process.  First part is he learns the PPM that will allow him to develop his weaker foot.  Once he's learned the PPM, the 2nd part is he starts using the PPM to actually begin developing his weaker foot.

Agree it could be clearer in game.

Aha, thanks! That explains it ;-)

On 12/18/2016 at 22:58, imchrisjones said:

Getting beat a lot by crosses coming in from out wide fast and their strikers one touch finished in the box. Playing with 3 at the back, I've dropped their line back to slightly deeper but it's still going. Oppositions main source of goals against me to be honest. Any tips? 

bump :) 

55 minutes ago, phnompenhandy said:

Right, cheers muchly :thup:

Although my 16-year-old captain doesn't appear to have the option :)

Depends when you made him captain. It's not instant, takes around 6 months for the option to be available to stop people exploiting it.

2 minutes ago, Areolys said:

Do friendlies actually help improve a player's attributes or not?

Should I even bother setting up friendly every week for the guys that aren't in my first team or is it just a waste of time and won't help them develop?

Yes but far more slowly than competitive games. Friendlies can be important to keep fringe players match fit, improve fallen morale (providing you win), help with team cohesion and tactical familiarity.

Hello guys. I'm having a little problem. I cant get a player to close down much in PI, the maximum i can do it is close down more, but i see Rashidi's videos where the strikers and midfielders have close down much more.

Edit; I think i know why, it depends on how high is the defensive line/ closing down in TI, right?

Edited by mikcheck

1 hour ago, mikcheck said:

Hello guys. I'm having a little problem. I cant get a player to close down much in PI, the maximum i can do it is close down more, but i see Rashidi's videos where the strikers and midfielders have close down much more.

Edit; I think i know why, it depends on how high is the defensive line/ closing down in TI, right?

Bolded the important bit- player closing down instructions (any instruction that works the same way, really) are relative to the closing down for the team as a whole. In your case, your team is probably closing down fairly often as it is, so there is no room for "much more"- more will be the highest he can go in that situation.

6 hours ago, Areolys said:

Do friendlies actually help improve a player's attributes or not?

Should I even bother setting up friendly every week for the guys that aren't in my first team or is it just a waste of time and won't help them develop?

Yes, you should bother. As Andy mentioned it will help some with development, but you need them match fit to develop properly at the same time. Playing time is never bad. I always keep my reserves playing weekly matches if possible; what if you have an injury crisis and need one of them? You want them to be fit and ready to go if so :)

46 minutes ago, Dr. Hook said:

Bolded the important bit- player closing down instructions (any instruction that works the same way, really) are relative to the closing down for the team as a whole. In your case, your team is probably closing down fairly often as it is, so there is no room for "much more"- more will be the highest he can go in that situation.

Yes that's what i thought. Thanks.

11 hours ago, kevinstates said:

I can't train a PPM with Arsenal. The option is totally grayed out. Have I missed something?

I find that usually happens when the player is on holiday and therefore unavailable, even tho I can still set their training. Or if they are mentoring, or being mentored.

Edited by Bigpapa42
Mistake

So I was in a pre-season game against Southampton where their striker had a superb 17 Acceleration coupled with 17 Pace and PPM "likes to beat offside trap". My defenders don't have acceleration above 14. How should I tackle this problem? I can't ask them to man-mark the guy, they'll just lose sight of him. Indeed, the two goals he scored were from balls over the top, so it should be a good idea to drop the defensive line, but at the same time I don't think so, because he has all that acceleration. Suggestions?

2 hours ago, gongmin said:

So I was in a pre-season game against Southampton where their striker had a superb 17 Acceleration coupled with 17 Pace and PPM "likes to beat offside trap". My defenders don't have acceleration above 14. How should I tackle this problem? I can't ask them to man-mark the guy, they'll just lose sight of him. Indeed, the two goals he scored were from balls over the top, so it should be a good idea to drop the defensive line, but at the same time I don't think so, because he has all that acceleration. Suggestions?

I would play a deeper line in that situation. He has acceleration, true, but less space to work with when he turns it on. You could also ask your central defenders to close down less as well, to keep them from stepping to him and getting scorched. Is it a lone striker setup they are using? If so, you might even consider using one CD on a cover role. Lastly, probably don't play the offside trap :D

10 hours ago, QSF25 said:

What does the use tight marking really work

Like it sounds - it instructs your players to get closer to opponents to mark them when they enter their marking "zone".

7 hours ago, mikcheck said:

Hi.  A CM(s) with hold position PI will act more like a CM(d)?  I ask this because CM(d) has more closing down and i dont want that. Thanks.

To an extent.  Just be aware of the role mentality (blue bar on the PI screen) and how that gets modified when you change team mentality.  So a CM(S) with an attacking mentality (for example) will be more attack minded than a CM(S) with a defensive mentality.

Some quick questions:

What causes a players attributes to suddenly drop? Ive had two young players suddenly drop (orange arrow down) almost all of their attributes despite still having potential, young and not injured. Does this indicate some kind of worry that they arent as good as they are? The drops are very small (0.2 when I click attribute change). Im not too worried, but im still wondering why this is happening.

Also Ive had a player lose a bit of pace/accelaration after a long(3 months) injury. I assume its still possible for him to regain his pace/accelaration post injury or is it 'lost' for ever? Does it depend on age/type of injury? In my case he had a torn calf muscle so I dont have much hopes. 

Guest El Payaso

Is there any chance to revive a 25-year-old trouble maker's career? I am talking about Ravel Morrison. He has balanced personality and am not expecting much from him. But basically is there any chance that he improves mentally and actually becomes useful player? 

One question that I think is important for everyone. How much does the circle that represents the role suitability matters?

Example:

I have a player who players Naturally as an Inside Forward with the attributes of the role being around 10 and 12. At the same time he's Innefectual at playing Raumdeuter, a role that has many similar attributes, plus a few that this player has the same attribute average (10-12). Why does that happen?

Will he play that badly as a RDM?

9 hours ago, Double0Seven said:

Some quick questions:

What causes a players attributes to suddenly drop? Ive had two young players suddenly drop (orange arrow down) almost all of their attributes despite still having potential, young and not injured. Does this indicate some kind of worry that they arent as good as they are? The drops are very small (0.2 when I click attribute change). Im not too worried, but im still wondering why this is happening.

Also Ive had a player lose a bit of pace/accelaration after a long(3 months) injury. I assume its still possible for him to regain his pace/accelaration post injury or is it 'lost' for ever? Does it depend on age/type of injury? In my case he had a torn calf muscle so I dont have much hopes. 

Ignore short term down arrows.  So long as their long term development is showing improvement, that's the important part.  I like to think of the short term drop as "I just got kicked all over the park for 90 mins, it's Monday morning and I'm feeling a bit sore".

8 hours ago, El Payaso said:

Is there any chance to revive a 25-year-old trouble maker's career? I am talking about Ravel Morrison. He has balanced personality and am not expecting much from him. But basically is there any chance that he improves mentally and actually becomes useful player? 

It's unlikely.  If you can put up with his bad attitude, give it a go.  He will have good games in the right system but don't expect much personality change.

30 minutes ago, BillHoudini24 said:

One question that I think is important for everyone. How much does the circle that represents the role suitability matters?

Example:

I have a player who players Naturally as an Inside Forward with the attributes of the role being around 10 and 12. At the same time he's Innefectual at playing Raumdeuter, a role that has many similar attributes, plus a few that this player has the same attribute average (10-12). Why does that happen?

It's a guide, that's all.  If you are happy that he has the attributes, and you have the right system, then play him in the role.  I'm currently playing a 4321 narrow and quite happily play a "winger" in central midfield who barely even registers as being suitable.

4 hours ago, BillHoudini24 said:

Example:

He will improve over time if you train him in the new role and give him playing time there as well. Some of my players learn their new position & role quickly, while others are lost causes, but I still play them in that role nonetheless.

Hi there.

If i'm training a player for a position/role that already focus on positioning and if i  chose positioning as additional focus, is it useless or it will train that attribute even harder? tks

They stack, so you will get a small boost from it.

Check out this thread if you want to learn more about training and how to set it up effectively.

Edited by Areolys

Hi there.

If i'm training a player for a position/role that already focus on positioning and if i  chose positioning as additional focus, is it useless or it will train that attribute even harder? tks

Cleon insists that he ignores the 'cakes' and plays players out of position all the time. He just looks at the attributes and what exactly he wants from the players.  I'm sure he's right but I'm not that brave!

Need some clarification about Tutoring...

I'd like to improve my squad in terms of Professionalism, Ambition, and Determination to get the best out of my youngsters.

Now, I've got some players that are Fairly Professional and some Professionals. However, they don't have the best Determination, while I've got some players with high Determination but bad personalities. Is there any way to kind of merge them together? If I tutor a Professional Player with a Balanced or Sporting one he'll loose Professionalism and become a Sporting personality as well, right? Same goes with Determination, since it will always match the Determination of the Tutor.

If that's true am I screwed until get a lucky youth intake with a professional guy with high determination, or can I somehow tinker around and "build" one from what I've gotten?

36 minutes ago, phnompenhandy said:

Cleon insists that he ignores the 'cakes' and plays players out of position all the time. He just looks at the attributes and what exactly he wants from the players.  I'm sure he's right but I'm not that brave!

1.  They're pies, not cakes.  Cakes are square, pies are round. :eek:

2.  I've never tried this until he last couple of days; I brought in a regent who starts for Germany but for some reason was without a contract till October.  (I guess it was his wage demands.  It wasn't his age, he's 23.)  he has great attributes to be an advanced playmaker at AMR, despite having no pie there.  But in two games there he's got 2 goals and an assists and about 20 key passes, so I'm pretty happy.

here are my stupid questions.

first, how does FFP work.  I'm fine for continental but I'm getting a warning for the EPL.  But there's something I don't understand.  I'm projected to make a profit of $250 million over three years.  But the screen says I'm $13m over on payroll spending.  Here's the part I don't get. At first it was $8m, then I sold 2 guys for a ton of money.  Then it was $10m.  No, I didn't bring in a replacement.  Then I got an insane offer for an unhappy player so I took it.  Now I'm spending $13m too much in salary, despite clearing $3m in salary with the sale. What is going on???  The lower my payroll gets the worse off I am!!!

Second, how do I handle pep talks now that my team is good.  It seems that when my pep talk options are all about how good we are, it's impossible to win.

Can an Advanced Forward be set up to work in a counterattacking system? I play as a team with bad forwards that are mostly Defensive Forwards. I have found good forwards, but most are AF or Poacher. Since that adds an attacking duty, I wonder how could either of these roles be fit into strategies that use Counter, primarily. There is usually 1 Attack duty per formation.

8 hours ago, Bunkerossian said:

Can an Advanced Forward be set up to work in a counterattacking system? I play as a team with bad forwards that are mostly Defensive Forwards. I have found good forwards, but most are AF or Poacher. Since that adds an attacking duty, I wonder how could either of these roles be fit into strategies that use Counter, primarily. There is usually 1 Attack duty per formation.

There's no issue here. Counter-attacking doesn't mean no attacking, it means being a bit more patient waiting for an opportunity. In my counter attacking tactic I have an AF and one more player on attack duty - an AP in either the AMC or MC position. If only the striker has a attack duty he might be too isolated and lack service to create opportunities.

On 24/12/2016 at 09:21, Areolys said:

Need some clarification about Tutoring...

I'd like to improve my squad in terms of Professionalism, Ambition, and Determination to get the best out of my youngsters.

Now, I've got some players that are Fairly Professional and some Professionals. However, they don't have the best Determination, while I've got some players with high Determination but bad personalities. Is there any way to kind of merge them together? If I tutor a Professional Player with a Balanced or Sporting one he'll loose Professionalism and become a Sporting personality as well, right? Same goes with Determination, since it will always match the Determination of the Tutor.

If that's true am I screwed until get a lucky youth intake with a professional guy with high determination, or can I somehow tinker around and "build" one from what I've gotten?

You've got to tutor them, but it might take 2 or even 3 tutoring sessions to get what you want. Determination rises dramatically so start with a low DET kid. If he loses a few points for AMB and PROF, then get him retutored.