Sports Interactive Community
wwfan

Stupid Questions Thread (Tactic and Training Questions Only)

1- What's the effect of the bench shouts (be more creative, stay calm, and so on) ? I'm asking because a message always pops-up stating "making tactical changes", but what are these tactical changes ? How are they visible (because nothing changes at a TI and / or PI level) ?

2- Shouldn't the TI Drible Less be visible in PI ? If a player has a in-coded PI Dribble More, shouldn't the TI to dribble less have an impact on his PI ?

I got a question regarding Shape. I know that the more Fluid you play, the more compact your team becomes, but are we talking about with the ball or off it?

With the ball. When defending your team naturally retreats into a compact formation anyway, regardless of your tactical settings.

Hi,

what does the ppm dwells on ball effectuate? My player has also trys killer balls often. Is this not the exactly the difference from the first?

Dwells on Ball = a player is likely to pause for a short while before making a decision about what to do with the ball. Not always a good thing to have and (I believe) can only be learned via Tutoring. Could be wrong there.

Tries Killer Balls Often = A player will attempt through balls more often. So yes, very different from Dwells on Ball.

1- What's the effect of the bench shouts (be more creative, stay calm, and so on) ? I'm asking because a message always pops-up stating "making tactical changes", but what are these tactical changes ? How are they visible (because nothing changes at a TI and / or PI level) ?

2- Shouldn't the TI Drible Less be visible in PI ? If a player has a in-coded PI Dribble More, shouldn't the TI to dribble less have an impact on his PI ?

1) These bench shouts during matches may give a small boost to players for a very limited time during a match. As far as I am aware there is no visible change to either attributes or morale - I believe it's more "under the hood" (correct me if I'm wrong). Personally I never use them.

2) PIs override TIs, so a role that is hardcoded to dribble will still dribble.

1) These bench shouts during matches may give a small boost to players for a very limited time during a match. As far as I am aware there is no visible change to either attributes or morale - I believe it's more "under the hood" (correct me if I'm wrong). Personally I never use them.

Yeah they last for ten minutes, I believe, and they are like adding a short-term team instruction- so if you use "get creative" it will up creative freedom for the duration of the shout. You're right, they don't alter any visible settings in the tactics screen. I use them on occasion, and I think in principle they could be good, but as with most things, if you aren't sure what they do, don't :D

Shouldn't a BBM with get further forward PI occupy the same space as an CM(a)? I've tried both with the same player and judging by the heat map, BBM never goes as forward as CM(a).

Shouldn't a BBM with get further forward PI occupy the same space as an CM(a)? I've tried both with the same player and judging by the heat map, BBM never goes as forward as CM(a).

The heat map shows average position, and as the BBM, even with the get further forward, will still drop a lot deeper than a CM(A), so his heatmap will show him sitting deeper. In reality when you have the ball he is going further up the pitch more often.

With the ball. When defending your team naturally retreats into a compact formation anyway, regardless of your tactical settings.

Dwells on Ball = a player is likely to pause for a short while before making a decision about what to do with the ball. Not always a good thing to have and (I believe) can only be learned via Tutoring. Could be wrong there.

Tries Killer Balls Often = A player will attempt through balls more often. So yes, very different from Dwells on Ball.

2) PIs override TIs, so a role that is hardcoded to dribble will still dribble.

thanks herne :)

so, it maybe the case to ask "what are they doing there ?" ? Are there plans to make them more useful ?

As for 2) I thought the override was gone since fm15 (or maybe this one), at least I remember reading something maybe written by the Hand of God - really not sure - that the override of instructions had become less clearer and it was now something more complex mixing also player roles and duties. On the other hand, if the player has both Dribble More and Dribble Less available, shouldn't the Dribble Less TI have an impact on the PI ?

Yeah they last for ten minutes, I believe, and they are like adding a short-term team instruction- so if you use "get creative" it will up creative freedom for the duration of the shout. You're right, they don't alter any visible settings in the tactics screen. I use them on occasion, and I think in principle they could be good, but as with most things, if you aren't sure what they do, don't :D

Ok finally I understand why is it possible to use them only after 10 minutes, never thought it was related with how long they last. I think there might be a few that not translate like a (short) team instruction, such as Be Calm (or something like this) and the one that might translate, wouldn't it be more logic to be visible in team instructions or some other solution more tangible ?

Generally I use them at the beginning of the match and at the beginning of 2nd half.

Appreciate that, thanks for the support!

The heat map shows average position, and as the BBM, even with the get further forward, will still drop a lot deeper than a CM(A), so his heatmap will show him sitting deeper. In reality when you have the ball he is going further up the pitch more often.

Thanks. Sorry i said heat map but i wanted to say average positions. Yes indeed BBM with get further forward it's mostly in the same line as is partner who is a RPM and when i use CM(a), the player it's more advanced.

So i assume that when the ball it's still on my own half the BBM may get deeper to look for the ball and when the ball it's further up the pitch he will bomb forward to the box, and the other way the CM(a) will bomb forward earlier

Thanks. Sorry i said heat map but i wanted to say average positions. Yes indeed BBM with get further forward it's mostly in the same line as is partner who is a RPM and when i use CM(a), the player it's more advanced.

So i assume that when the ball it's still on my own half the BBM may get deeper to look for the ball and when the ball it's further up the pitch he will bomb forward to the box, and the other way the CM(a) will bomb forward earlier

Right, so I think it is working as it should here for you- the BBM starts deeper usually and arrives in the box later than the CM(A) who is already upfield and ready to go :)

Ok finally I understand why is it possible to use them only after 10 minutes, never thought it was related with how long they last. I think there might be a few that not translate like a (short) team instruction, such as Be Calm (or something like this) and the one that might translate, wouldn't it be more logic to be visible in team instructions or some other solution more tangible ?

Generally I use them at the beginning of the match and at the beginning of 2nd half.

Well, I think it doesn't show because it temporary, and also because lots of players use highlights that won't even show a play for ten minutes so there would be no need for a change, but I don't know the SI logic here really. A possible feature addition would be to have a different color bar added to the visible display to show when the touchline shout is active.

Well, I think it doesn't show because it temporary, and also because lots of players use highlights that won't even show a play for ten minutes so there would be no need for a change, but I don't know the SI logic here really. A possible feature addition would be to have a different color bar added to the visible display to show when the touchline shout is active.

That's a great point and very good solution :thup:

Playing with Milan, and I seem to have bad possession and pass completion stats.

So far this season we've averaged about 74% pass completion, whereas I really want to be having 80%+ per game. This is made worse by the fact that our cross completion is only 15%! We normally have less possession and have found ourselves overrun by quite a few teams, drawing when we should be winning.

I'm playing a 4123 DM Wide formation (the fairly standard one), on either standard/very fluid or attacking/fluid. Rotating between short and mixed passing, 'play out of defense' and 'work ball in to box', usually having 2/3 on. However, it still seems to be the same story every match. any advice?

Hello guys!

I'm using this tactic:

gk

dr dc dc dl

a

wm ap wm

ss

p

It's better to use an advanced playmaker behind the striker or a shadow striker? And why?

Hello guys!

I'm using this tactic:

gk

dr dc dc dl

a

wm ap wm

ss

p

It's better to use an advanced playmaker behind the striker or a shadow striker? And why?

An SS with a Poacher is not a good combo, because the first will look to occupy the same space of the second, you will need instead a forward that creates space to the SS.

Right, so I think it is working as it should here for you- the BBM starts deeper usually and arrives in the box later than the CM(A) who is already upfield and ready to go :)

Right!! :thup:

Is there any other way to increase % of transfer revenue made available than asking the board?

This is really frustrating in a small club like FC Groningen. I have the opportunity to sell one of my players for 15 million, which is a lot for this club, and that would let me buy some good players to increase my team quality.

However i will only see 7,5 million from that because i only have 50% of revenue and i had to ask to the board because i only had 35%!!! :mad:

Edit: Maybe i should've asked in general discussion forum.

Okay so I fixed my last problem, and seem to have caused a new problem

The last 3 games we have dominated possession, chances and had great pass completion. However, in the last 10 minutes of the games we've conceded 4 goals, so that we drew three times rather than winning. What can I do to stop my team conceding stupid goals in the last few minutes?

Edit: Maybe i should've asked in general discussion forum.

Yes, this is better asked over there :)

Okay so I fixed my last problem, and seem to have caused a new problem

The last 3 games we have dominated possession, chances and had great pass completion. However, in the last 10 minutes of the games we've conceded 4 goals, so that we drew three times rather than winning. What can I do to stop my team conceding stupid goals in the last few minutes?

When the AI is chasing a game, it will go overload at the last few minutes and throw everyone forward. Do you do anything to react to this at all? What I generally do if they are starting to mount some sort of momentum (they don't always, but when they do . . .) is to slow the game down and play compact. For me this is generally a defensive mentality, even contain, a retain possession TI, time wasting up, and clear ball to flanks to keep it away from the dangerous areas if I need a clear. You can also adjust roles, by getting your midfield to drop deeper and clog up the middle. If you are just trying to hang on to a result, you can dispense with any attacking roles completely, and even put your strikers on Defensive Forward defend. There are a number of things you can do, but the moment you see that all of a sudden you are getting pressured, you have to react.

Out of curiosity when is the best time to play with a lower/higher tempo? I've came to the conclusion that if I'm getting press then higher is the best way to go.

Can anyone advise why Training progress reports on an individual default to one of the coaches (in my case a Goalkeeping coach) forcing me to select a different coach very time - and when I change it it doesn't retain the selection I previously made?

Thanks

Very silly question

Will better training facilities and coach prevent injuries in training?

No- that is down to player injury proneness and heaviness of workload

Can anyone advise why Training progress reports on an individual default to one of the coaches (in my case a Goalkeeping coach) forcing me to select a different coach very time - and when I change it it doesn't retain the selection I previously made?

Thanks

I tried a bunch of things just now and couldn't get a change to stick either- probably this is one to bring up to SI unless someone else knows how it is done. If it can be done, it isn't very intuitive.

Out of curiosity when is the best time to play with a lower/higher tempo? I've came to the conclusion that if I'm getting press then higher is the best way to go.

Depends on what you want which I guess is why no one rushed to answer- lots of scenarios where you may want to do one or the other. But, yes, high tempo can be effective against a hard pressing team , as low tempo can be useful to see out the last bits of a match. But again, I can imagine many situations where you might want to adjust your tempo.

Is it possible to try and get a player who is booked to be sent off?

In real life teams sometimes look to get opposition players sent off once they have been booked. I.e. if they know the player has a bad temper etc.

Is it possible to do this in FM? :D

Is it possible to try and get a player who is booked to be sent off?

In real life teams sometimes look to get opposition players sent off once they have been booked. I.e. if they know the player has a bad temper etc.

Is it possible to do this in FM? :D

In a way- you can set an OI on him to hard tackle in hopes he will get angry and retaliate and there might be other tricks that people have learned, but there is no straight out instruction to do that; kind of wish there was though.

Does 3 star potential mean that the player can be as good as my current best player for the position?

When using a DM the defensive line is pushed back a little, if using an AM does the defensive line get pushed up a little?

In a 4-4-1-1 playing fluid, can i close the gap between defence and midfield by pushing the defensive line up?

Does 3 star potential mean that the player can be as good as my current best player for the position?

Potentially yes. Star ratings are all relative to other players at your club, so somebody with 3 stars or above I'd expect to be able to at least challenge for a first team place.

When using a DM the defensive line is pushed back a little, if using an AM does the defensive line get pushed up a little?

No.

In a 4-4-1-1 playing fluid, can i close the gap between defence and midfield by pushing the defensive line up?

Yes.

(Sorry for short answers but there isn't much else to say !).

Is there a reason why a young player (19 years) will suffer a drop of several attributes (0.4 in two months) without suffering and injury? Before that period, he's been constantly developing.

During this period, he's been out with the U-19 nationall team for some tournament. Could this be the reason if he has low adaptability? (just guessing here)

His personality is "Professional".

Is there a reason why a young player (19 years) will suffer a drop of several attributes (0.4 in two months) without suffering and injury? Before that period, he's been constantly developing.

During this period, he's been out with the U-19 nationall team for some tournament. Could this be the reason if he has low adaptability? (just guessing here)

His personality is "Professional".

With drops that small, it could just be fluctuations that are normal over the course of the season. Since they are a *bit* larger than you would expect to see with normal variation, it could be the training regime. Training distributes the CA points, so wherever there are gains, something else will drop if his CA stays stable. In this case, if he has been away with a national team, they probably are not training him as you would and this could account for the drops. Is he gaining anywhere?

With drops that small, it could just be fluctuations that are normal over the course of the season. Since they are a *bit* larger than you would expect to see with normal variation, it could be the training regime. Training distributes the CA points, so wherever there are gains, something else will drop if his CA stays stable. In this case, if he has been away with a national team, they probably are not training him as you would and this could account for the drops. Is he gaining anywhere?

I'm used to see drops in some attributes while gains in different ones. This time I saw only drops in several attributes. I will post a couple of screenshots when I get back home.

Thanks for the reply!

Is there a TI/combination of TIs that stop your players chipping passes instead of playing them on the floor? Trying to work out what's wrong with my tactic by watching the full highlights and so many times the players lob the ball when there's absolutely no need and I lose possession because the receiving player has to head it instead of get it under control.

I'm used to see drops in some attributes while gains in different ones. This time I saw only drops in several attributes. I will post a couple of screenshots when I get back home.

Thanks for the reply!

Here are the SSs:

z5Dd1hC.png

HUPi1jj.png

I don't really see anything to be alarmed about here. You said you checked on the training graph and it was a drop of .4 at the most? This looks fairly normal-I noticed that recently he had a good stretch of injuries, and so it is possible that there was a small CA dip which could cause slight drops. Otherwise, you are in July and drops like that are normal in the off season while players rest. It should right itself once you get the into the pre-season with a few friendlies under your belt.

Where is the weakness in a 4-1-3-2 Wide? I always seem to have problems, I'm thinking wings so play wider, but will that make the AMC more of a threat. Suggestion would be sweet.

Hi!

Not sure where to put this, but I think it's the right place.

I would like to see AI tactics, as I'm trying to analyze some stuff. So I've been wondering whether there are any skins out there, so I could check on what AI is doing?

Where is the weakness in a 4-1-3-2 Wide? I always seem to have problems, I'm thinking wings so play wider, but will that make the AMC more of a threat. Suggestion would be sweet.

Are the three Center mids pushed up into the AM strata? If so, try the middle of the park - you have one DM screening the centerbacks so you might try overloading the middle

Quick question about closing down. If I am using and attacking mentality and I drop closing down by 2 notches then does this become the same as closing down on Standard?

I appreciate this would have been answered somewhere but.... what is the breakdown between General training and Individual training as a percentage? Is it 50/50? I was under the impression that the higher the intensity under general the more time was dedicated to it but it seems that the players still train for example 1 hour general but the intensity for that hour is increased not the amount of time.

Iv found so far that;

General training needs to be kept the same for 90 days minimum to have an impact.

Match training even if set to low (half day) still has the same impact as Match training for 3 days (minor boost to Def Pos or Attack Movemenet etc)

Additional training is seperate and done in a players own time

So if it set average intensity Balanced general training, then set my CB to Limited defender training under individual what time is spent doing these two activities?

When applying to "Mark specific player" PI, does that mean on set-pieces or in open play?

Open play- marking assignments for set pieces can be done in the set piece creator, but I don't think there is any way to set it to specific players (not 100% as it's been awhile since I looked at it).

I wonder if a 3-5-2 (like herne's formation in his save with Valencia) can also work good in FM15 version?

What are the instructions which may affect on how players stick to free-kicks and corners instructions? I can think only of creative freedom, maybe there are any others?

The problems is that the team takes free kicks and corners exactly how I told them only in 30% of all free kicks and corners in the game. And there is no logic in how they do it - I instructed them to take short kicks but they can take a long kick from the center of the field (while the opposition is taller than my players and there is no chance for my players to win an areial challenge) and make a pass when taking a kick from the edge of penalty area instead of a direct shot...