Sports Interactive Community
wwfan

Stupid Questions Thread (Tactic and Training Questions Only)

I use a fluid system, but have added a TI of less creative freedom to balance it out a bit.

Ooooh I like the sound of that.

Dont think ive ever heard of this before can someone confirm?

So I've found recently that your staff member responsible for youth intake can pass down his personality attributes to the regens who are coming in every year. In my save Raul (finally) retired, I've hired him on the staff, made him responsible for youth intake.

Lo and behold, every year my best regen has near Raul's Professionalism, Ambition, Pressure, Loyalty, all the important hidden stats at near maximum. Making them improve rapidly and become better players even without mentoring.

So what you need to do is search staff by personalities, look for people who are Model Professional, Model Citizen, Perfectionist, Iron Willed, and so on. Find the best guy, make him do the youth recruitment and swim in those regens who develop obscenely quick and stay loyal to your club. You can also just look for a former player who had a reputation for a great work ethic. Ryan Giggs is great for this is you're running United, for example.

Correct, to an extent. It's not guaranteed that you'll get newgens with better personalities, and that post does exaggerate things a bit, but it can certainly improve your chances.

Dont think ive ever heard of this before can someone confirm?

Yes, your head of youth development can pass along his personality traits to incoming newgens. In my current save, my HOYD is Spirited, and I seem to get one or two each intake with that same personality. Usually you'll see it mentioned in the "New Youth Intake" message in your inbox.

Herne beat me to it, and he's right, you won't by any stretch "swim" in obscenely fast developing regens ;)

What would people think are ideal PPMs for a BBM? I'm thinking 'Gets Into Opposition Area' 'Gets Forward Whenever Possible' and maybe 'Shoots With Power'

Attempts first time shots is one I like them to have, don't want them messing about taking a touch in the area.

Training question - With the way that the training is set up now, usually for strikers and most other attackers I train Complete Forward, as it covers the largest number of attributes, especially the mental ones. I read somewhere recently that said the fewer attributes you train, the more gains you will see for those attributes that you are training. So my question is: Is it better to rotate the roles you are training on 3-month intervals or so, so that you are training less attributes at once, or is this all a rumor?

Training question - With the way that the training is set up now, usually for strikers and most other attackers I train Complete Forward, as it covers the largest number of attributes, especially the mental ones. I read somewhere recently that said the fewer attributes you train, the more gains you will see for those attributes that you are training. So my question is: Is it better to rotate the roles you are training on 3-month intervals or so, so that you are training less attributes at once, or is this all a rumor?

If you really want to min/max this to wring every single last drop out of training, then 3 month rotations training certain attributes and/or roles is the optimal way to go. However, that involves a lot of micro management which isn't to everyone's taste. You can of course achieve excellent results with sticking to just more generalised training schedules.

If you want to know more, Rashidi's blog is the place to go.

Thanks. :thup: I am the micromanger type. :D I usually set a note for training every 3 months and rotate the additional focus, so this won't be a big deal for me.

What are the effects of using control strategy with more direct passing selected?

Not sure this deserves a thread or anything, so I'll just post it here. I started a new save with Sparta, but I started in the early Argentina season (2014). This allowed me an early youth intake when March came around in my first season, so effectively I'll have two intakes by the start of my 2nd season.

What are the effects of using control strategy with more direct passing selected?

The team will take risks in their decision making (as it is an attacking Mentality) and also will be direct with their passes. Does what it says on the tin, really. :)

I recently started an unemployed save, with Sunday Footballer Reputation, from South Africa. I'm currently managing in a lower league in Romania. My club DNA (thank you Rashidi) is built around the following core attributes: Pace, Acceleration, Strength and First Touch.

Bearing in mind that lower leagues lack in creativity attributes, will it be wise to have a Fluid shape? I know that Fluidity results in the team working as a unit given the situation on the field (attacking, transition and defending) and will have a more compact shape, but will the addition of "creative freedom" limit their ability from making good decisions?

I am getting just crushed defending corner kicks. Last in the league by some margin. It can't be the personnel that we're THIS bad. It's gotta be something I'm doing wrong.

I put a man on each post. 4 on the 6 yard box. I leave one player high to try to get a cheap counter goal. The other three mark tall players. What am I doing wrong?

What's the age limit on tutoring? I thought that players could be tutored up to (and including) the age of 21, however I've just had a 23 year old player "fall out" with his tutor. Is this a bug or have SI increased the age limit this year?

What's the age limit on tutoring? I thought that players could be tutored up to (and including) the age of 21, however I've just had a 23 year old player "fall out" with his tutor. Is this a bug or have SI increased the age limit this year?

The tutoring age limit is no older than 23. That hasn't changed for this year.

I am getting just crushed defending corner kicks. Last in the league by some margin. It can't be the personnel that we're THIS bad. It's gotta be something I'm doing wrong.

I put a man on each post. 4 on the 6 yard box. I leave one player high to try to get a cheap counter goal. The other three mark tall players. What am I doing wrong?

Define "crushed"? Your corners set up seems ok on the face of it. However, if you are last in the league by some margin that would indicate to me you have something a bit more serious going on than just conceding a few corners.

Define "crushed"? Your corners set up seems ok on the face of it. However, if you are last in the league by some margin that would indicate to me you have something a bit more serious going on than just conceding a few corners.

We're last in CK goals by some margin. We're 3rd in the league as a whole. (There's an enormous knot of teams from 2nd to 7th with almost the same number of points.) If we were merely "bad" conceding goals on corners, we'd be clear 2nd and set for promotion.

That's the thing. My team is good. We score well, and our defense outside of corners is good. We concede a CK goal basically every third match. Just unbelievably bad, unrealistic numbers.

If it was a glitch in the match engine it would be OK, because we'd be scoring on CK's every third match and it would even out. But we're about -10 on corners, so clearly I'm doing something wrong.

Also...I'm managing Notts County. It's year 4 and we're in the Championship trying to get to the Prem. (I can't believe it myself.) Another thing that's hurting my team is that we're pulling an Arsenal...we drop too many points to the bottom 5 teams. I'm sure it has something to do with my pep talks. Any advice there? We make up for it by doing well against the teams at the top, but I'm a perfectionist. I wanna beat those bad teams too.

We're last in CK goals by some margin. We're 3rd in the league as a whole. (There's an enormous knot of teams from 2nd to 7th with almost the same number of points.) If we were merely "bad" conceding goals on corners, we'd be clear 2nd and set for promotion.

That's the thing. My team is good. We score well, and our defense outside of corners is good. We concede a CK goal basically every third match. Just unbelievably bad, unrealistic numbers.

If it was a glitch in the match engine it would be OK, because we'd be scoring on CK's every third match and it would even out. But we're about -10 on corners, so clearly I'm doing something wrong.

Also...I'm managing Notts County. It's year 4 and we're in the Championship trying to get to the Prem. (I can't believe it myself.) Another thing that's hurting my team is that we're pulling an Arsenal...we drop too many points to the bottom 5 teams. I'm sure it has something to do with my pep talks. Any advice there? We make up for it by doing well against the teams at the top, but I'm a perfectionist. I wanna beat those bad teams too.

Ahh ok, that's different then, I didn't understand :).

It could be nothing more than just sheer bad luck. This morning I was playing against Stoke, we went in at half time losing 3-1, and all 3 of their goals were from corners. Just meh.

If you struggle against bottom teams that could be more to do with how they play against you. Think about it, you are near the top, they are at the bottom struggling for points. The last thing they want to do is concede, so in all likelihood they'll play fairly conservatively against you. So the space your team might enjoy against better teams (who may be willing to play a more expansive game against you) simply isn't there any more.

But that's just a guess, you'd need to watch matches to see if that's the case or not.

Central Defender with more direct passing (forced less risky passes) vs. Ball Playing Defender (forced mixed, more risky passes):

which one is more likely to go for a Bonucci-esque pass?

edit: assuming no ppm

Be More Disciplined - when is it a good time to use this team instruction?

ie - I am currently trying to emulate rafa benitez type tactics from the old valencia/liverpool sort of style of play. a compact 4231 which employs a medium press with high pressure in the right zones, now to reach the level of compactness I have opted to go standard with very fluid. Very fluid allowing players high creative freedom. would it be a good idea to use be more disciplined to bring it back down a bit get to team to focus on sticking to the tactical shape?

Central Defender with more direct passing (forced less risky passes) vs. Ball Playing Defender (forced mixed, more risky passes):

which one is more likely to go for a Bonucci-esque pass?

edit: assuming no ppm

BPD.

Be More Disciplined - when is it a good time to use this team instruction?

ie - I am currently trying to emulate rafa benitez type tactics from the old valencia/liverpool sort of style of play. a compact 4231 which employs a medium press with high pressure in the right zones, now to reach the level of compactness I have opted to go standard with very fluid. Very fluid allowing players high creative freedom. would it be a good idea to use be more disciplined to bring it back down a bit get to team to focus on sticking to the tactical shape?

It could help yes. Bare in mind there are other ways of achieving compactness when in possession without resorting to Team Shape (eg., Shorter Passing, Higher Def. Line and so on). It depends on how you want to set up.

BPD.

It could help yes. Bare in mind there are other ways of achieving compactness when in possession without resorting to Team Shape (eg., Shorter Passing, Higher Def. Line and so on). It depends on how you want to set up.

wouldnt a higher defensive line negate the medium block?

wouldnt a higher defensive line negate the medium block?

It'll depend on your starting mentality.

eg., if you pick Counter + push higher up, you'll get a def line roughly equivalent to the Standard mentality.

It'll depend on your starting mentality.

eg., if you pick Counter + push higher up, you'll get a def line roughly equivalent to the Standard mentality.

Fair point. Counter is something I've considered it's been a tough system to put together with many a pumping lol

I would say playing on high tempo required good decision and first touch.

Saying I'm being over run in midfield here, I thought I had a lot of support and defensive here? My defensive line is deeper, would pushing it forward help?

watford.jpg

Saying I'm being over run in midfield here, I thought I had a lot of support and defensive here? My defensive line is deeper, would pushing it forward help?

Only a very generalised answer is possible here, as a specific answer would require a lot more detail.

Pushing your def line higher, as you are probably already aware, will compress the space between your defence and midfield and thus (hopefully) making it harder for the opposition to operate in that area. The downside is it increases the space behind the defence, potentially making you more open to through balls or balls over the top. This can be somewhat negated by such things as the offside trap, a sweeper keeper and defenders with good mental attributes - but it depends on how high you are pushing that def. line.

Having said that, all of it is modified by things like your chosen mentality and team shape, which we don't know - hence only a generalised answer I'm afraid.

Hi.

Can it work having a Regista and a RPM in the same team?

Pretty much anything can work in the right set up.

Would I use both of those roles together? No, as I would want my Regista to be the guy who runs the show and an RPM could steal some of his thunder. But if you are ok with that happening, then sure it could work so long as the rest of the team is balanced around it. Might be tricky though ;).

Only a very generalised answer is possible here, as a specific answer would require a lot more detail.

Pushing your def line higher, as you are probably already aware, will compress the space between your defence and midfield and thus (hopefully) making it harder for the opposition to operate in that area. The downside is it increases the space behind the defence, potentially making you more open to through balls or balls over the top. This can be somewhat negated by such things as the offside trap, a sweeper keeper and defenders with good mental attributes - but it depends on how high you are pushing that def. line.

Having said that, all of it is modified by things like your chosen mentality and team shape, which we don't know - hence only a generalised answer I'm afraid.

Yeah I've got the D line pushed very deep due to balls over the top, I might try pushing it up a bit and using the offside trap. My mentality is control or counter and i'm mostly structured.

Pretty much anything can work in the right set up.

Would I use both of those roles together? No, as I would want my Regista to be the guy who runs the show and an RPM could steal some of his thunder. But if you are ok with that happening, then sure it could work so long as the rest of the team is balanced around it. Might be tricky though ;).

I know of a tactical system (used incredibly successfully on FM15, but also transferred to 16) that used a back 4 with CWB/a's and then a REG--A--RPM trio in the DM slots with a CM/a centrally and then a SS and Enganche as the Strikerless forwards.

As Herne says, in the right system anything can work but you'd need to be clear about what you want to achieve and whether you want one player (Pirlo for example) leading the show or more if you don't have one star playmaker.

Yeah I've got the D line pushed very deep due to balls over the top, I might try pushing it up a bit and using the offside trap. My mentality is control or counter and i'm mostly structured.

Just remember what the default def. line position is before you go changing it - the Control default setting is quite different to Counter.

Just remember what the default def. line position is before you go changing it - the Control default setting is quite different to Counter.

On control it may be better pushing out more to get my three in the middle on the ball quicker and my two attacking full backs further up the pitch?

Thanks for the replies. Btw how does Regista acts when defending? Is it similar to a DLP?

Pretty much yes. In build up he can drop into the D-line (between CB's) to aid possession.

If passing is set to more direct. Is it suitable for GK distribution to be set to take long kicks? Or better to have it set to take short kicks.

If passing is set to more direct. Is it suitable for GK distribution to be set to take long kicks? Or better to have it set to take short kicks.

That depends on how you have set your team up and what you want your goalie to do.

If you have someone big and strong or fast with good anticipation to get on the end of those kicks, it could help. If you don't, you're just giving the ball back to the opposition needlessly.

How can I have an idea on whether a player will learn a new preferred move or not?

If this player fails to learn it, it's in any way useful to have him try and learn that same move again?

When a member of the staff tells you that a player should not be instructed to learn a specific move, do you listen to them, do you follow their advice?

Thank you! :)

How can I have an idea on whether a player will learn a new preferred move or not?

If this player fails to learn it, it's in any way useful to have him try and learn that same move again?

When a member of the staff tells you that a player should not be instructed to learn a specific move, do you listen to them, do you follow their advice?

Thank you! :)

There are no guarantees that any player will learn a PPM. He may fail learning it one time, but get him to learn it again and next time he might succeed in learning it.

Ignore your staff. They don't know what it is you are trying to achieve - players will frequently learn a PPM even if your coach advised against it.

watford.jpg

Can I ask what site you used to make that image? Or was it done in Photoshop?

Another one from me. What are the perfect attributes for scouts and physios? e.g does determination effect physios in any way?

I will ask here as the other thread got closed, do people think passing frame works can still work like they used to?

This is what I asked:

Would you say that passing frameworks can still work?

If so, how would you implement them? I read somewhere for your WBA side in FM15 you had the wingbacks on direct passes as you wanted to bypass the midfield.

I think what I found easier to understand was the defend/support/attack distribution within certain frameworks, it helped paint a picture in my head when setting up my own tactics (or my lame attempt at one).

In your view Rashidi - what would be the defend/support/attack distribution in say a defensive mentality compared to say a control or attacking one or am I barking up the wrong tree?

Thanks

I will ask here as the other thread got closed, do people think passing frame works can still work like they used to?

This is what I asked:

Would you say that passing frameworks can still work?

If so, how would you implement them? I read somewhere for your WBA side in FM15 you had the wingbacks on direct passes as you wanted to bypass the midfield.

I think what I found easier to understand was the defend/support/attack distribution within certain frameworks, it helped paint a picture in my head when setting up my own tactics (or my lame attempt at one).

In your view Rashidi - what would be the defend/support/attack distribution in say a defensive mentality compared to say a control or attacking one or am I barking up the wrong tree?

Thanks

The thread was locked for a reason. The information is out of date, as said. It's for FM09, fgs, PRE-TC also as said. The settings are all under the hood and automatically implemented in the TC.

Stick to the current, relevant guides. It'll cause far fewer headaches.

Hi

I know it is, I am not saying it's the same, perhaps I should re-phrase it:

Does anyone ever tweak passing settings in the TC based on duty/role?

For example do you prefer short passing at the back to then more direct passing up top or the opposite so direct passing at the back to short up top?

I am talking about the TC in FM16