Sports Interactive Community
wwfan

Stupid Questions Thread (Tactic and Training Questions Only)

Is move into channels pi force forward move to 2-3 or 1-4 the image under?

V53MfvX.png

It's the space between the defender and fullback so 2 and 3.

prnsy.jpg

I guess I'm satisfied with passing percentage, 10 key passes, 5 interceptions and an assist. First time I use Regista, I should have tried it earlier. Very Pirlo-esque.

It's my favourite role on the game and playing in front of 3 CD is such a good base. Mind posting your set up?

I've had a couple of issues recently that dont really relate to tactics and training, but may well fall under the stupid questions category :)

- I bid for someone in Jan and was quoted an astronomical £20m because the selling club clearly didnt wanna sell. West Ham come along in January (not deadline day) and buy him for £4m....slightly pissed off at that

- Two GKs in my squad have extremely similar stats (at work so can't post but can provide later) yet one in my eyes who is slightly better is valued at 650k, and the other is at 4.2.

The keeper valued at 650k is Estanislao Marcellan and the 4.2m player I can't remember, but he is rated as half a star below Marcellan. Such a discrepancy in value, is that purely down to hidden attributes? They are both 24 and I signed both in the summer - so the disrepancy isnt age or contract related.

It's my favourite role on the game and playing in front of 3 CD is such a good base. Mind posting your set up?

dzcgv.jpg

Here it is.

ylmpk.jpg

Getting closer to 100.

thats a very interesting midfield DG - and very attacking/positive. Are your back 4 exposed if an attack breaks down?

Not as much as you'd expect from looking at roles. I have chosen relatively low strategy, so my team is quite compact, two FB(S) ensure that I don't leave only two players behind. If one goes forward, the other one stays back, so I have something like a loopsided 3-man defence.

nhrhv.jpg

Still tinkering with left MC role, CM(A) might be overkill.

How do the stopper/cover roles play into defending 1 striker formations? I switch around between 4-2-3-1, 4-4-2, and 4-1-2-3, but always play 4 in the back.

Hi,

Wondering if there is anyone who has done the WM formation successfully.

I currently set it up as a 322"3".

FB-D CB-C FB-D

HB HB

AM-A AM-A

W-A F9 W-A

My mentality and team shape are Control and Very Fluid.

TI: Higher Tempo, Narrow width, Use Offside trap, Play out of defense, shorter passing, retain possession, be more disciplined, work ball into box.

PI:

GK - Roll it out

FB - Close down more, tackle harder, mark tighter, sit narrower, cut inside with ball

CB - Tackle harder

HB - Shoot less often, tackle harder, fewer risky passes

Winger - Shoot less often, tackle harder, roam from position, fewer risky passes

AM - Tackle harder

F9 - Shoot less often, tackler harder, roam from position

My possession are dominating(60+) for every game but I don't seem to have the triangle passes which I saw from here: http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/share-download-fm-14-tactics/158314-w-m-tactic-system-behind-total-football-tiki-taka-14-3-a.html.

It is this sort of play that I fell in love and I am trying to do it in FM16 without much success.

My passes are quite direct from the HB to the flanks or over the top to my F9.

Hope to hear some advice. :)

without reading much of the thread you linked, surely the use of the HalfBack means that when playing out of defence the HB's drop between the CD & FB's and just makes a back 5? This would prevent any deep triangles being formed?

You could try looking at this as a start? Maybe trying basic DM'sto get the SHAPE you want in deep possession, the draw back of this would be less protection for the CB. There's a reason this tactic was left behind in the 1940s!

PS - a normal back 3 with 3 x CBs will give the same in possession spread as a FB-CB-FB trio - just with less forward penetration. Stronger defensively.

without reading much of the thread you linked, surely the use of the HalfBack means that when playing out of defence the HB's drop between the CD & FB's and just makes a back 5? This would prevent any deep triangles being formed?

You could try looking at this as a start? Maybe trying basic DM'sto get the SHAPE you want in deep possession, the draw back of this would be less protection for the CB. There's a reason this tactic was left behind in the 1940s!

PS - a normal back 3 with 3 x CBs will give the same in possession spread as a FB-CB-FB trio - just with less forward penetration. Stronger defensively.

I am happy with the FB CB FB combination.

Just the way that my team passes are all forward pass which is not spectacular.

I am thinking of either changing the role of my DM or pull both my AMC down to MC.

having the AM's move to CM will help with short passing triangles for sure. Have a play with the DM roles.

having the AM's move to CM will help with short passing triangles for sure. Have a play with the DM roles.

Would 2 Advanced playmaker in the MC be a good option ?

Is it possible to play with direct passing whilst also having "play out of defence" ticked? Playing with a DLP would the defense just bypass him and hoof it upfield or would they get it to the DLP as quickly as possible?

Hi all!

After missing FM15, I am trying to get into FM16 now. I am a bit confused with training workload at the moment. Here are my questions:

1) In the default skin, where is the option to set the intensity of individual training? Has it been streamlined out of the game or is it somewhere and I don't see it?

2) In the default skin, do we get information on the percentage of time devoted to each training element for a player? (eg, individual training, ppm, team training etc)

In FM14 we used to see bars explaining everything about workload, but now I don't see such a thing.

3) In the default skin, training workload for each player is shown on 2 different screens. a) In training->individual training->player, and b) in squad->player->develpment->training. Are these both !TOTAL! workload for each player or (TOTAL-TEAM TRAINING)?

No matter what I do with team training workload, the above workloads are always MEDIUM for every player, so I am confused about what they take into account.

Thanks. We have several screens full of overwhelming information on training, so I 'll be very disappointed if I can't customize training as much i used to in older versions.

Hi all!

After missing FM15, I am trying to get into FM16 now. I am a bit confused with training workload at the moment. Here are my questions:

1) In the default skin, where is the option to set the intensity of individual training? Has it been streamlined out of the game or is it somewhere and I don't see it?

2) In the default skin, do we get information on the percentage of time devoted to each training element for a player? (eg, individual training, ppm, team training etc)

In FM14 we used to see bars explaining everything about workload, but now I don't see such a thing.

3) In the default skin, training workload for each player is shown on 2 different screens. a) In training->individual training->player, and b) in squad->player->develpment->training. Are these both !TOTAL! workload for each player or (TOTAL-TEAM TRAINING)?

No matter what I do with team training workload, the above workloads are always MEDIUM for every player, so I am confused about what they take into account.

Thanks. We have several screens full of overwhelming information on training, so I 'll be very disappointed if I can't customize training as much i used to in older versions.

1) It has changed and there is no more individual training intensity setting

2) The workload is simplified- so it is all team, position/role, any additional. You won't see a breakdown now because it is all the same- streamlined. On the training screen>individual when you highlight a player it tells you his overall workload, but that is as close as you can get to how it used to be.

3) So yes, training workload is for the individual player modified by what extra you select for the player such as position/role, individual attribute focus, or PPM. So it is understood that team training is the same for every player and the workload is modified by any extras

So it is much simpler than before and you cant customize it to the degree you could.

Is it possible to play with direct passing whilst also having "play out of defence" ticked? Playing with a DLP would the defense just bypass him and hoof it upfield or would they get it to the DLP as quickly as possible?

The TIs are stackable, along with PI, so those two in combo with your defenders (assuming generic roles and no other PI) would result in mixed passing for them.

So it is much simpler than before and you cant customize it to the degree you could.

Cheers, Dr Hook! Good to see you still here.

What is the story behind this decision, did it come from SI initially or did the community campaign for it? I am very -VERY- disappointed with this.

I don't understand it either, does SI really believe that people who get easily overwhelmed will find training simpler now? It is actually more confusing than it used to be.

Cheers, Dr Hook! Good to see you still here.

What is the story behind this decision, did it come from SI initially or did the community campaign for it? I am very -VERY- disappointed with this.

I don't understand it either, does SI really believe that people who get easily overwhelmed will find training simpler now? It is actually more confusing than it used to be.

Good to see you back Lyssien :). I don't know the story behind the changes, really. Perhaps Cleon does, but I do believe that the intention was to simplify things. I think it mostly confusing to us who have been around for several versions and seen all sorts of things with it. For me I liked the FM2005 deal where you assigned piggy in the middle, shadow play etc. because it resembled what we really do on the training pitch. It took me a bit to get used to (I had exactly the same questions you did when I first got my hands on it), but after getting used to it, I am finding that the new way hasn't really negatively affected my player development methods. It has made it easier in that I simply assign a role, any extras, and let the game handle the workload aspect. What would be great is a more detailed module that could be turned off for those that don't care for it. The suggestion has been put into the pipeline, but who knows what will come of it.

The game and/or matches aren't scripted. It isn't even up for debate because it just isn't scripted. The opposition are allowed to make changes, especially after half-time and your players probably became complacent and then nervous to worsen the issue. Without proper detail, we can't say exactly what happened, but SI definitely isn't EA and this isn't GD.

I think it mostly confusing to us who have been around for several versions and seen all sorts of things with it.

Could be. Or maybe it is confusing because it does not allow tampering with things that one would logically expect to tamper with (workload). But yes, due to former experience it is hard to know what exactly is the case.

For me I liked the FM2005 deal where you assigned piggy in the middle, shadow play etc. because it resembled what we really do on the training pitch.

Oh man, I hated it. It was too opaque for me, and for most others as I recall. To each his own, I guess.

It took me a bit to get used to (I had exactly the same questions you did when I first got my hands on it), but after getting used to it, I am finding that the new way hasn't really negatively affected my player development methods. It has made it easier in that I simply assign a role, any extras, and let the game handle the workload aspect. What would be great is a more detailed module that could be turned off for those that don't care for it. The suggestion has been put into the pipeline, but who knows what will come of it.

You know, the problem with FM training was never its complexity (eg, compared to the tactical module), it was always the presentation of information. From what I see, I think SI have missed this point entirely. Provided I can afford the time, I may be back with a detailed proposal for training after I play the game for a while.

Training is an area that could do with a rethink as it is somewhat bland & tbh I hardly spend any time thinking about my training regimes.

I do prefer the non-slider approach that SI took from FM13 as that old system was an exercise in min/max'ing & was ripe for user training exploits whereas the latest offerings at least attempt to present some of the issues with managing the development of 25 or more professional footballers plus another 20 or so youth footballers but it does need fleshing out.

I do prefer the non-slider approach that SI took from FM13 as that old system was an exercise in min/max'ing & was ripe for user training exploits whereas the latest offerings at least attempt to present some of the issues with managing the development of 25 or more professional footballers plus another 20 or so youth footballers but it does need fleshing out.

The sliders approach was my idea. It made sense back then, because the tactical module worked with sliders as well (that's where I got the idea from). I think it succeeded in allowing more gamers to work with it, as a lot of people were lost with the pig-in-the-middle approach.

But I agree, training can do with a rethink.

The sliders approach was my idea. It made sense back then, because the tactical module worked with sliders as well (that's where I got the idea from). I think it succeeded in allowing more gamers to work with it, as a lot of people were lost with the pig-in-the-middle approach.

But I agree, training can do with a rethink.

When you get time (and/or inclination) I'd love for you to start a thread. This is definitely something that we should be discussing because I think SI are receptive to any good ideas we might come up with to a) keep/make it intuitive and simple to use and b) also reflect need for some sophistication and complexity. For example, one request I made in the beta areas was to be able to split our squads into training groups, so that defenders could get one training focus, midfielders another etc.

When you get time (and/or inclination) I'd love for you to start a thread. This is definitely something that we should be discussing because I think SI are receptive to any good ideas we might come up with to a) keep/make it intuitive and simple to use and b) also reflect need for some sophistication and complexity. For example, one request I made in the beta areas was to be able to split our squads into training groups, so that defenders could get one training focus, midfielders another etc.

My schedule is very unpredictable, so no promises, but I 'd love to. First I have to play the game a bit (I bought it recently) to get motivated and get ideas flowing.

Cleon, where art thou?

I have question, if you fai to have a good preseason, is possible that during the season get many injuries? I mean bad preseason= players dont get fit befero season start

I have question, if you fai to have a good preseason, is possible that during the season get many injuries? I mean bad preseason= players dont get fit befero season start

If you don't get your players match fit, or overplay so that their condition drops, you could see more injures. I am not sure what you mean by bad, exactly

If you don't get your players match fit, or overplay so that their condition drops, you could see more injures. I am not sure what you mean by bad, exactly

as I did preseason, and by the way I was experimenting it, I set it on team cohesion only, and they werent fit before the season started, then I had injuries during the season, but in another save if i put fitness I get injuries during the preseason, ans to be honest I dont really know.....So let say I set up 50 match training on tactics and high on fitness, no focus, when should I decide to change to team cohesion? and How should I manage friendly and condition?thanks

as I did preseason, and by the way I was experimenting it, I set it on team cohesion only, and they werent fit before the season started, then I had injuries during the season, but in another save if i put fitness I get injuries during the preseason, ans to be honest I dont really know.....So let say I set up 50 match training on tactics and high on fitness, no focus, when should I decide to change to team cohesion? and How should I manage friendly and condition?thanks

Okay, got what you mean. Training in pre-season is not really important in that you can do team cohesion, fitness, general, whatever. The key is friendly matches. I like to set about 8-10, and I rotate my first team so that everybody starts at least 4 matches, and comes on at about 55-60 minutes in the other matches. Unless you have a really massive squad this is easy to do and my 100% first choice players will start more than that. If you have a player with low condition going into a friendly, you can move up a reserve or U21 player just to come on late to make sure he can get a rest. I schedule my last friendly to be at least a week before the first real game. I've been doing basically this method for the past few years and don't have a problem getting players fit and ready to go.

You get players match fit during pre-season by playing Friendlies, not by setting General Training to Fitness.

Set General Training to Team Cohesion to get your squad blended (change this once your players know each other well); have a Friendly every 3-4 days to improve match fitness; set Match Preparation to Tactics in order to familiarise your team with your Tactic(s).

Set the Scheduling slider all the way to the left (for more Match Preparation) in order to maximise the amount of time during pre-season that your players focus on Tactics. Change this once your Tactics are fully Fluid.

Another stupid question.......Let say I set up a preseason of 4 weeks, that means in those 4 weeks I should have a full squad match fit ?or they ll have problems during the season and even they ll perform much better

WARNING: there's going to have a spoil on hidden attributes

I was wondering if someone had some knowledge about players personnalities.

I read in different guide that RESOLUTE or RESILIENT are positive personnalities, while LIGHT-HEARTED is a neutral one.

I used genie scout to see some hidden attributes to give you an example with some similar players:

Dybala James Rodriguez Hazard Matuidi

Ambition 16 18 18 14

Controversy 7 6 9 5

Loyalty 12 11 14 14

Pressure 14 15 15 14

Professionalism 17 17 17 16

Sportmanship 15 17 17 16

Temperament 16 18 14 16

Determination 15 16 16 15

How come Matuidi (RESILIENT) and Dybala (RESOLUTE) can be "more" positive than James Rodriguez and Hazard (both LIGHT HEARTED) when it seems both the latter have better hidden attributes overall, better professionalism, better ambition, better determination? I thought the temperament can make the difference but we can see that Hazard has the lowest (14) and James the highest (18) but still both are light hearted?

For tutoring a young prospect, Hazard and James seem to be the better choice...

Thanks guys

No need to post twice. As a new user, your first few posts are moderated and so need to approved, but they haven't disappeared. I or another of the mods will get them approved as soon as we see them.

Another stupid question.......Let say I set up a preseason of 4 weeks, that means in those 4 weeks I should have a full squad match fit ?or they ll have problems during the season and even they ll perform much better

Four weeks, you should look to schedule a friendly every three days, basically, so you can fit 7-8. If you rotate the squad properly you should all your first eleven match fit and probably your most important subs, and the marginal guys will be close. If you find a few are not getting enough minutes, run them out with the U21/reserve squad. It won't cause you massive problems if they aren't totally fit at the start, but you want to get there as soon as you can because their performance will take a hit and you want to minimize that as much as possible.

WARNING: there's going to have a spoil on hidden attributes

I was wondering if someone had some knowledge about players personnalities.

I read in different guide that RESOLUTE or RESILIENT are positive personnalities, while LIGHT-HEARTED is a neutral one.

I used genie scout to see some hidden attributes to give you an example with some similar players:

Dybala James Rodriguez Hazard Matuidi

Ambition 16 18 18 14

Controversy 7 6 9 5

Loyalty 12 11 14 14

Pressure 14 15 15 14

Professionalism 17 17 17 16

Sportmanship 15 17 17 16

Temperament 16 18 14 16

Determination 15 16 16 15

How come Matuidi (RESILIENT) and Dybala (RESOLUTE) can be "more" positive than James Rodriguez and Hazard (both LIGHT HEARTED) when it seems both the latter have better hidden attributes overall, better professionalism, better ambition, better determination? I thought the temperament can make the difference but we can see that Hazard has the lowest (14) and James the highest (18) but still both are light hearted?

For tutoring a young prospect, Hazard and James seem to be the better choice...

Thanks guys

I like the light-hearted personality myself. What you have to keep in mind is that while the two players you have listed have great attributes and are indeed the better of the four, even though they are light-hearted personalities, is that not all of the attributes that are good are part of the personality description. With Resilient and Resolute, you know that the attributes that go into those personalities will be good, while with light hearted, they don't have to have good ratings in all of the desirable attributes. I hope that makes sense.

If you have a striker who's got really good bravery and agression, decent technique, composure and finishing, is it wise to teach him to do overhead kicks ppm?

If not, what are other possible ppms to get the best of such a striker?

I've had a couple of issues recently that dont really relate to tactics and training, but may well fall under the stupid questions category :)

- I bid for someone in Jan and was quoted an astronomical £20m because the selling club clearly didnt wanna sell. West Ham come along in January (not deadline day) and buy him for £4m....slightly pissed off at that

- Two GKs in my squad have extremely similar stats (at work so can't post but can provide later) yet one in my eyes who is slightly better is valued at 650k, and the other is at 4.2.

The keeper valued at 650k is Estanislao Marcellan and the 4.2m player I can't remember, but he is rated as half a star below Marcellan. Such a discrepancy in value, is that purely down to hidden attributes? They are both 24 and I signed both in the summer - so the disrepancy isnt age or contract related.

guys any thoughts on why similar players (on the surface anyway) of a similar age have such a wildly different valuation? Or do you not set much stall by valuations?

If you have a striker who's got really good bravery and agression, decent technique, composure and finishing, is it wise to teach him to do overhead kicks ppm?

If not, what are other possible ppms to get the best of such a striker?

personally I like "move into channels regularly" to promote good movement, but depends on your style of play and if this is necessary

guys any thoughts on why similar players (on the surface anyway) of a similar age have such a wildly different valuation? Or do you not set much stall by valuations?

It's probably linked to a player's background and reputation, but you're better off asking such questions in the General Discussion forum rather than a Tactics thread :).

Hi,

Need a little help to figure out the best role for my forward.

i play with a 4123-DM Wide formation with Counter, Control and Attacking Mentality, depending on the opponent or the game is going.

Team Shape: Flexible

TI's: Closing Down More, Whipped Crosses, Stay on Feet, Lower Tempo (only when i choose Attacking mentality),

??

AP(s)_____________________IF(a)

CM(a)______DLP(s)

DM(d)

WB(s)___CD(d)___CD(d)____WB(s)

If i play with the Counter mentality i change the WB(s) to FB(s) and the CM(a) to CM(s).

If i play with Attacking mentality i change the WB(s) to WB(a).

In all mentality variation i'm playing the a CF(s) as my forward, but i'm not very happy with his overall performance in terms of goals scoring and game build up.

So, any ideas?

Hi guys did never happened that when start a match and you check the pitch condition, is very good and the second half is bad? It's happening so many times, AI is trying all to beat me, but when happen that I straight change the passing to more direct and they get smashed, but if I don't do I often lose ball and they go on counter and hit the net

I have noticed in FMT second season that certain players have had a bit of a drop in certain attributes and aren't as good as they were first season. All mid 20's so unlikely to be an age issue. Possibly one or two may have dropped after an injury but I have a decent Assistant so a bit confused how to stop these drops. Is my only option to take over training myself?

I have noticed in FMT second season that certain players have had a bit of a drop in certain attributes and aren't as good as they were first season. All mid 20's so unlikely to be an age issue. Possibly one or two may have dropped after an injury but I have a decent Assistant so a bit confused how to stop these drops. Is my only option to take over training myself?

How much of a drop are we talking about here? Are they doing up in another areas at the same time? Also, training doesn't add or subtract raw CA, just redistributes what they do have (I don't know whether you knew this or not, but in case not, thought it best to mention).

Hi guys did never happened that when start a match and you check the pitch condition, is very good and the second half is bad? It's happening so many times, AI is trying all to beat me, but when happen that I straight change the passing to more direct and they get smashed, but if I don't do I often lose ball and they go on counter and hit the net

Not sure exactly what you mean here. The pitch is worse in the second half I understand. But then what? You go more direct because of it and the AI counters you? Am I reading that right?

Hi,

Need a little help to figure out the best role for my forward.

i play with a 4123-DM Wide formation with Counter, Control and Attacking Mentality, depending on the opponent or the game is going.

Team Shape: Flexible

TI's: Closing Down More, Whipped Crosses, Stay on Feet, Lower Tempo (only when i choose Attacking mentality),

??

AP(s)_____________________IF(a)

CM(a)______DLP(s)

DM(d)

WB(s)___CD(d)___CD(d)____WB(s)

If i play with the Counter mentality i change the WB(s) to FB(s) and the CM(a) to CM(s).

If i play with Attacking mentality i change the WB(s) to WB(a).

In all mentality variation i'm playing the a CF(s) as my forward, but i'm not very happy with his overall performance in terms of goals scoring and game build up.

So, any ideas?

In a lone striker formation, especially when you already have 2 attackers (aside from your counter setup) I would use a withdrawn forward role. A DLF(A) might answer for you as he will link up with your midfield and play it off to the wide men or your surging CM, but he'll also make runs into the box. I've used the CF also, but I didn't like how it played for me as a lone striker either.

My post wasn't actually moaning the fact ththat the AI is countering, I just realized that in the second half the pitch is bad, and because of that my style need a change, so I was wondering if is a real fact that happens or it's a bug, probably I missed explain very well.......

My post wasn't actually moaning the fact ththat the AI is countering, I just realized that in the second half the pitch is bad, and because of that my style need a change, so I was wondering if is a real fact that happens or it's a bug, probably I missed explain very well.......

Don't worry, I didn't think you were moaning, I was just trying to understand what you were posting. In this case, I don't think you should change what you are doing if the pitch gets a little worse in the second half. If it started out okay, it shouldn't be a bad enough change to make the second half so much different. I especially wouldn't change if it was causing me to lose games because of it :). Try a match without changing when you would have otherwise and see what happens. It could be there is something else going on and the pitch condition is just coincidental. We don't want the post hoc ergo propter hoc fallacy to derail us here.

How much of a drop are we talking about here? Are they doing up in another areas at the same time? Also, training doesn't add or subtract raw CA, just redistributes what they do have (I don't know whether you knew this or not, but in case not, thought it best to mention).

Thanks for that. I have had a good study and it does seem to be injuries that have hampered a few stats. Have noticed a few weeks on one or two are starting to creep up again whereas certain mental stats actually can rise amongst the older players like Nobles leadership for instance has risen slightly in two seasons, so panic over it does seem that they can recover with playing time.

Thanks for that. I have had a good study and it does seem to be injuries that have hampered a few stats. Have noticed a few weeks on one or two are starting to creep up again whereas certain mental stats actually can rise amongst the older players like Nobles leadership for instance has risen slightly in two seasons, so panic over it does seem that they can recover with playing time.

Yeah injuries can cause a drop in CA, but as you are seeing, but most players will recover fairly quickly unless it was really heavy duty and they are older. Also, you might notice small gains/drops over the course of the season- tenths of points - and this is normal and nothing to fret about, but seeing a bunch of red arrows can be alarming :)