Quickfire Questions and Answers Thread (Tactic and Training Questions Only)

If you don't get your players match fit, or overplay so that their condition drops, you could see more injures. I am not sure what you mean by bad, exactly

as I did preseason, and by the way I was experimenting it, I set it on team cohesion only, and they werent fit before the season started, then I had injuries during the season, but in another save if i put fitness I get injuries during the preseason, ans to be honest I dont really know.....So let say I set up 50 match training on tactics and high on fitness, no focus, when should I decide to change to team cohesion? and How should I manage friendly and condition?thanks

• Replies 17.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

as I did preseason, and by the way I was experimenting it, I set it on team cohesion only, and they werent fit before the season started, then I had injuries during the season, but in another save if i put fitness I get injuries during the preseason, ans to be honest I dont really know.....So let say I set up 50 match training on tactics and high on fitness, no focus, when should I decide to change to team cohesion? and How should I manage friendly and condition?thanks

Okay, got what you mean. Training in pre-season is not really important in that you can do team cohesion, fitness, general, whatever. The key is friendly matches. I like to set about 8-10, and I rotate my first team so that everybody starts at least 4 matches, and comes on at about 55-60 minutes in the other matches. Unless you have a really massive squad this is easy to do and my 100% first choice players will start more than that. If you have a player with low condition going into a friendly, you can move up a reserve or U21 player just to come on late to make sure he can get a rest. I schedule my last friendly to be at least a week before the first real game. I've been doing basically this method for the past few years and don't have a problem getting players fit and ready to go.

You get players match fit during pre-season by playing Friendlies, not by setting General Training to Fitness.

Set General Training to Team Cohesion to get your squad blended (change this once your players know each other well); have a Friendly every 3-4 days to improve match fitness; set Match Preparation to Tactics in order to familiarise your team with your Tactic(s).

Set the Scheduling slider all the way to the left (for more Match Preparation) in order to maximise the amount of time during pre-season that your players focus on Tactics. Change this once your Tactics are fully Fluid.

WARNING: there's going to have a spoil on hidden attributes

I was wondering if someone had some knowledge about players personnalities.

I read in different guide that RESOLUTE or RESILIENT are positive personnalities, while LIGHT-HEARTED is a neutral one.

I used genie scout to see some hidden attributes to give you an example with some similar players:

Dybala James Rodriguez Hazard Matuidi

Ambition 16 18 18 14

Controversy 7 6 9 5

Loyalty 12 11 14 14

Pressure 14 15 15 14

Professionalism 17 17 17 16

Sportmanship 15 17 17 16

Temperament 16 18 14 16

Determination 15 16 16 15

How come Matuidi (RESILIENT) and Dybala (RESOLUTE) can be "more" positive than James Rodriguez and Hazard (both LIGHT HEARTED) when it seems both the latter have better hidden attributes overall, better professionalism, better ambition, better determination? I thought the temperament can make the difference but we can see that Hazard has the lowest (14) and James the highest (18) but still both are light hearted?

For tutoring a young prospect, Hazard and James seem to be the better choice...

Thanks guys

No need to post twice. As a new user, your first few posts are moderated and so need to approved, but they haven't disappeared. I or another of the mods will get them approved as soon as we see them.

Another stupid question.......Let say I set up a preseason of 4 weeks, that means in those 4 weeks I should have a full squad match fit ?or they ll have problems during the season and even they ll perform much better

Four weeks, you should look to schedule a friendly every three days, basically, so you can fit 7-8. If you rotate the squad properly you should all your first eleven match fit and probably your most important subs, and the marginal guys will be close. If you find a few are not getting enough minutes, run them out with the U21/reserve squad. It won't cause you massive problems if they aren't totally fit at the start, but you want to get there as soon as you can because their performance will take a hit and you want to minimize that as much as possible.

WARNING: there's going to have a spoil on hidden attributes

I was wondering if someone had some knowledge about players personnalities.

I read in different guide that RESOLUTE or RESILIENT are positive personnalities, while LIGHT-HEARTED is a neutral one.

I used genie scout to see some hidden attributes to give you an example with some similar players:

Dybala James Rodriguez Hazard Matuidi

Ambition 16 18 18 14

Controversy 7 6 9 5

Loyalty 12 11 14 14

Pressure 14 15 15 14

Professionalism 17 17 17 16

Sportmanship 15 17 17 16

Temperament 16 18 14 16

Determination 15 16 16 15

How come Matuidi (RESILIENT) and Dybala (RESOLUTE) can be "more" positive than James Rodriguez and Hazard (both LIGHT HEARTED) when it seems both the latter have better hidden attributes overall, better professionalism, better ambition, better determination? I thought the temperament can make the difference but we can see that Hazard has the lowest (14) and James the highest (18) but still both are light hearted?

For tutoring a young prospect, Hazard and James seem to be the better choice...

Thanks guys

I like the light-hearted personality myself. What you have to keep in mind is that while the two players you have listed have great attributes and are indeed the better of the four, even though they are light-hearted personalities, is that not all of the attributes that are good are part of the personality description. With Resilient and Resolute, you know that the attributes that go into those personalities will be good, while with light hearted, they don't have to have good ratings in all of the desirable attributes. I hope that makes sense.

If you have a striker who's got really good bravery and agression, decent technique, composure and finishing, is it wise to teach him to do overhead kicks ppm?

If not, what are other possible ppms to get the best of such a striker?

I've had a couple of issues recently that dont really relate to tactics and training, but may well fall under the stupid questions category :)

- I bid for someone in Jan and was quoted an astronomical £20m because the selling club clearly didnt wanna sell. West Ham come along in January (not deadline day) and buy him for £4m....slightly pissed off at that

- Two GKs in my squad have extremely similar stats (at work so can't post but can provide later) yet one in my eyes who is slightly better is valued at 650k, and the other is at 4.2.

The keeper valued at 650k is Estanislao Marcellan and the 4.2m player I can't remember, but he is rated as half a star below Marcellan. Such a discrepancy in value, is that purely down to hidden attributes? They are both 24 and I signed both in the summer - so the disrepancy isnt age or contract related.

guys any thoughts on why similar players (on the surface anyway) of a similar age have such a wildly different valuation? Or do you not set much stall by valuations?

If you have a striker who's got really good bravery and agression, decent technique, composure and finishing, is it wise to teach him to do overhead kicks ppm?

If not, what are other possible ppms to get the best of such a striker?

personally I like "move into channels regularly" to promote good movement, but depends on your style of play and if this is necessary

guys any thoughts on why similar players (on the surface anyway) of a similar age have such a wildly different valuation? Or do you not set much stall by valuations?

It's probably linked to a player's background and reputation, but you're better off asking such questions in the General Discussion forum rather than a Tactics thread :).

Hi,

Need a little help to figure out the best role for my forward.

i play with a 4123-DM Wide formation with Counter, Control and Attacking Mentality, depending on the opponent or the game is going.

Team Shape: Flexible

TI's: Closing Down More, Whipped Crosses, Stay on Feet, Lower Tempo (only when i choose Attacking mentality),

??

AP(s)_____________________IF(a)

CM(a)______DLP(s)

DM(d)

WB(s)___CD(d)___CD(d)____WB(s)

If i play with the Counter mentality i change the WB(s) to FB(s) and the CM(a) to CM(s).

If i play with Attacking mentality i change the WB(s) to WB(a).

In all mentality variation i'm playing the a CF(s) as my forward, but i'm not very happy with his overall performance in terms of goals scoring and game build up.

So, any ideas?

Hi guys did never happened that when start a match and you check the pitch condition, is very good and the second half is bad? It's happening so many times, AI is trying all to beat me, but when happen that I straight change the passing to more direct and they get smashed, but if I don't do I often lose ball and they go on counter and hit the net

I have noticed in FMT second season that certain players have had a bit of a drop in certain attributes and aren't as good as they were first season. All mid 20's so unlikely to be an age issue. Possibly one or two may have dropped after an injury but I have a decent Assistant so a bit confused how to stop these drops. Is my only option to take over training myself?

I have noticed in FMT second season that certain players have had a bit of a drop in certain attributes and aren't as good as they were first season. All mid 20's so unlikely to be an age issue. Possibly one or two may have dropped after an injury but I have a decent Assistant so a bit confused how to stop these drops. Is my only option to take over training myself?

How much of a drop are we talking about here? Are they doing up in another areas at the same time? Also, training doesn't add or subtract raw CA, just redistributes what they do have (I don't know whether you knew this or not, but in case not, thought it best to mention).

Hi guys did never happened that when start a match and you check the pitch condition, is very good and the second half is bad? It's happening so many times, AI is trying all to beat me, but when happen that I straight change the passing to more direct and they get smashed, but if I don't do I often lose ball and they go on counter and hit the net

Not sure exactly what you mean here. The pitch is worse in the second half I understand. But then what? You go more direct because of it and the AI counters you? Am I reading that right?

Hi,

Need a little help to figure out the best role for my forward.

i play with a 4123-DM Wide formation with Counter, Control and Attacking Mentality, depending on the opponent or the game is going.

Team Shape: Flexible

TI's: Closing Down More, Whipped Crosses, Stay on Feet, Lower Tempo (only when i choose Attacking mentality),

??

AP(s)_____________________IF(a)

CM(a)______DLP(s)

DM(d)

WB(s)___CD(d)___CD(d)____WB(s)

If i play with the Counter mentality i change the WB(s) to FB(s) and the CM(a) to CM(s).

If i play with Attacking mentality i change the WB(s) to WB(a).

In all mentality variation i'm playing the a CF(s) as my forward, but i'm not very happy with his overall performance in terms of goals scoring and game build up.

So, any ideas?

In a lone striker formation, especially when you already have 2 attackers (aside from your counter setup) I would use a withdrawn forward role. A DLF(A) might answer for you as he will link up with your midfield and play it off to the wide men or your surging CM, but he'll also make runs into the box. I've used the CF also, but I didn't like how it played for me as a lone striker either.

My post wasn't actually moaning the fact ththat the AI is countering, I just realized that in the second half the pitch is bad, and because of that my style need a change, so I was wondering if is a real fact that happens or it's a bug, probably I missed explain very well.......

My post wasn't actually moaning the fact ththat the AI is countering, I just realized that in the second half the pitch is bad, and because of that my style need a change, so I was wondering if is a real fact that happens or it's a bug, probably I missed explain very well.......

Don't worry, I didn't think you were moaning, I was just trying to understand what you were posting. In this case, I don't think you should change what you are doing if the pitch gets a little worse in the second half. If it started out okay, it shouldn't be a bad enough change to make the second half so much different. I especially wouldn't change if it was causing me to lose games because of it :). Try a match without changing when you would have otherwise and see what happens. It could be there is something else going on and the pitch condition is just coincidental. We don't want the post hoc ergo propter hoc fallacy to derail us here.

How much of a drop are we talking about here? Are they doing up in another areas at the same time? Also, training doesn't add or subtract raw CA, just redistributes what they do have (I don't know whether you knew this or not, but in case not, thought it best to mention).

Thanks for that. I have had a good study and it does seem to be injuries that have hampered a few stats. Have noticed a few weeks on one or two are starting to creep up again whereas certain mental stats actually can rise amongst the older players like Nobles leadership for instance has risen slightly in two seasons, so panic over it does seem that they can recover with playing time.

Thanks for that. I have had a good study and it does seem to be injuries that have hampered a few stats. Have noticed a few weeks on one or two are starting to creep up again whereas certain mental stats actually can rise amongst the older players like Nobles leadership for instance has risen slightly in two seasons, so panic over it does seem that they can recover with playing time.

Yeah injuries can cause a drop in CA, but as you are seeing, but most players will recover fairly quickly unless it was really heavy duty and they are older. Also, you might notice small gains/drops over the course of the season- tenths of points - and this is normal and nothing to fret about, but seeing a bunch of red arrows can be alarming :)

I like the light-hearted personality myself. What you have to keep in mind is that while the two players you have listed have great attributes and are indeed the better of the four, even though they are light-hearted personalities, is that not all of the attributes that are good are part of the personality description. With Resilient and Resolute, you know that the attributes that go into those personalities will be good, while with light hearted, they don't have to have good ratings in all of the desirable attributes. I hope that makes sense.

Thanks Dr Hook. Yes, it took me two, three times to read it but I finally understood your point.

In a lone striker formation, especially when you already have 2 attackers (aside from your counter setup) I would use a withdrawn forward role. A DLF(A) might answer for you as he will link up with your midfield and play it off to the wide men or your surging CM, but he'll also make runs into the box. I've used the CF also, but I didn't like how it played for me as a lone striker either.

Thks for the help Dr. Hook,

I've try your sugestion, but i ended with a DLF(s) + move into channels PI.

For what i could see, in a support role the forward links better with the CM(a).

I also changed the IF(a) to a support role, and now even with the Control mentality i play with both WB with attack duty.

The IF(s) seems to be more open to play in a support role, perhaps because he can get more space because he is further away from the box in the early stage of the play.

Thks for the help Dr. Hook,

I've try your sugestion, but i ended with a DLF(s) + move into channels PI.

For what i could see, in a support role the forward links better with the CM(a).

I also changed the IF(a) to a support role, and now even with the Control mentality i play with both WB with attack duty.

The IF(s) seems to be more open to play in a support role, perhaps because he can get more space because he is further away from the box in the early stage of the play.

Excellent, glad you found a better solution. The DLF(S) is a nice role for a lone striker also, and I like putting the IF onto support also- good thought!

Is it possible to create a fairly generic wide attacking midfielder role? I like to use width in by 4-2-3-1 in order to give by Advanced Playmaker as much space as possible. When I use 2 wingers this is when by AP is most effective.

However, I don't really want 2 wingers hugging the touch line and swinging crosses into the box. On one side I'm looking for something like how James Milner plays when he is out wide. Someone who is a wide outlet, but not someone to run at the defence or put crosses in. A winger role then where it's possible to switch off the hard coded PI dribble more and cross more?

Is it possible to create a fairly generic wide attacking midfielder role? I like to use width in by 4-2-3-1 in order to give by Advanced Playmaker as much space as possible. When I use 2 wingers this is when by AP is most effective.

However, I don't really want 2 wingers hugging the touch line and swinging crosses into the box. On one side I'm looking for something like how James Milner plays when he is out wide. Someone who is a wide outlet, but not someone to run at the defence or put crosses in. A winger role then where it's possible to switch off the hard coded PI dribble more and cross more?

The wide midfielder is very customizable. The downside, of course, is that he doesn't play in the AM strata if that is necessary for you. On the other hand, it is perfectly possible to get them playing more forward on attack. Alternatively, you might look at the wide playmaker, but it does have the disadvantage of attracting the ball per the playmaker role. Still, it would be more to what you are looking for, I think. There is no Wide AM role that suits exactly what you want.

I've read how the 4123/4141 is better for retaining ball possession whereas the 4231 is better at using possession but from my FMT test save, I've found that actually the 4231 has been giving me a higher average possession % than the 4123/4141. I'm trying to achieve an average of 60% possession with the 4123 and have tried various different roles, team shapes, mentalities, TI's and even different teams (German Bundesliga) altogether but it just isn't happening. This may sound stupid but do FMT saves have any negative influences like the lack of team talks? Can this affect possession numbers in any way?

I've read how the 4123/4141 is better for retaining ball possession whereas the 4231 is better at using possession but from my FMT test save, I've found that actually the 4231 has been giving me a higher average possession % than the 4123/4141. I'm trying to achieve an average of 60% possession with the 4123 and have tried various different roles, team shapes, mentalities, TI's and even different teams (German Bundesliga) altogether but it just isn't happening. This may sound stupid but do FMT saves have any negative influences like the lack of team talks? Can this affect possession numbers in any way?

No. Remember that on FM possession is calculated with time on the ball and not the amount of passes.

No team talks and the absence of them in FMT just simplify tactics and you should be able to test a lot of things out there.

Yeah I've tried a lot of those yet the 4231 still retains possession better for me from what I've tested. Maybe it's to do with the league that I'm testing it in? I have tried various different teams with better players but still find the 4231 retains possession better.

If you are really stuck with the 4123 you could always open a new thread, post your detailed tactical set up and say what you are trying to achieve. Someone may be able to give you a fresh pair of eyes so to speak.

However, there is useful possession and then there is possession for the sake of it. When giving yourself a goal along the lines of "I want 60%+ possession", exercise a little caution in case you start to slip over the edge into the latter.

Yeah I've tried a lot of those yet the 4231 still retains possession better for me from what I've tested. Maybe it's to do with the league that I'm testing it in? I have tried various different teams with better players but still find the 4231 retains possession better.

Is it actual possession though or is it a case of the 4231 being more aggressive and winning the ball back quicker? This would make it seem like you have better possession because possession = time and not passes. Hence why a 4231 is better for higher pressing games.

Does anyone know of a thread that helps with subtle changes needed to play away. I have worked as a football analyst and trained to level 3 cert with the FA but still i can't work out a way of adapting to play away from home. seeing if there is anything blatant i am missing just wondering if there is a thread i can read through?

I'm getting fed up of conceding goals to these:

Goal mouth scrambles

1 defender stepping up playing opponent onside

1 defender stepping up, when marking a player but leaving opponent goalside.

Players not tackling, then fouling in the Area.

Regardless of instruction this happens, any fixes.

game after game last season, was spoiling the experience, when you dominate the game for 80+ minutes and concede late to this, or dominate go 1-0 up and concede to these, usually from their first attack or corner.

oh and once again, corner kick, and free kick into the area, defenders are not functioning.

speaking of 4-2-3-1, opponent playing it away from home and out playing my 4-2-3-1 is getting stupid, season 1 it was fine, now season 3 its getting stupid that I cant play how I wish, season 2 I had to drop defencive line deep because of the above defending brainfarts, I have no faith in pressing at all, as players either ignore it, or when you press the AI just string 25-30 passes together and score anyway.

I had an instance where I had an instruction to close down and press a winger, next thing that happens, that same winger is running down the line, my Left back, who could and should close him down, goes towards the area... and low and behold, a cross and a goal concede.

I have no instructions over ruling, so the instruction isn't getting followed.

I'm getting fed up of conceding goals to these:

Goal mouth scrambles

1 defender stepping up playing opponent onside

1 defender stepping up, when marking a player but leaving opponent goalside.

Players not tackling, then fouling in the Area.

Regardless of instruction this happens, any fixes.

game after game last season, was spoiling the experience, when you dominate the game for 80+ minutes and concede late to this, or dominate go 1-0 up and concede to these, usually from their first attack or corner.

oh and once again, corner kick, and free kick into the area, defenders are not functioning.

speaking of 4-2-3-1, opponent playing it away from home and out playing my 4-2-3-1 is getting stupid, season 1 it was fine, now season 3 its getting stupid that I cant play how I wish, season 2 I had to drop defencive line deep because of the above defending brainfarts, I have no faith in pressing at all, as players either ignore it, or when you press the AI just string 25-30 passes together and score anyway.

I had an instance where I had an instruction to close down and press a winger, next thing that happens, that same winger is running down the line, my Left back, who could and should close him down, goes towards the area... and low and behold, a cross and a goal concede.

I have no instructions over ruling, so the instruction isn't getting followed.

Apologies if this sounds flippant, but what's your question?

are there any fixes to this defender stupidity?

Probably, but without seeing your detailed tactical set up and examples of the exact issue you are having, nobody can answer that question.

However, this isn't a forum for venting, it's a forum for discussion and help. If you'd like to calm down and make a considered post that would actually help us to help you, then you may get some.

Sometimes my highlights show my team continually holding the ball too long when there are clear, easy options for passes. It's not due to PI; it'll be several players I see do that.

Is the fix to change to a higher tempo, change to dribble less, or retain possession? I'd guess it's higher tempo by process of elimination. 1. The problem isn't overdribbling, it's over-holding. 2. To me, "retain possession" means being more willing to pass the ball around in the middle third, rather than looking for the high risk/high reward pass into the attacking third.

As a side note, does the company put out a (for want of a better word) translation guide? I'm an American and used to American tactical wording, so oftentimes I look at my various options to get my team to play like I want and can't figure out which option to pick. My question here is a good example of the problem. "Stop dawdling on the ball everyone" isn't one of my choices!

are there any fixes to this defender stupidity?

Now that he mentioned it, a question.

szfsg.jpg

ykdgc.jpg

jcfpf.jpg

mmxkr.jpg

Why on Earth would a Full back on Support in a back five track down Rodriguez (Southampton MR) here? Definitely not 1 on 1 situation, but it is happening almost every match. If it's tactics, I'd like to try and correct it. I am playing Defensive+Fluid, TIs: Higher tempo and Work ball into box, while Blind's instructions are shown here.

He doesn't track down Rodrigues? The ball is played and initially he moves forward, I'm guessing just to cover the space like he will due to no-one occupying it. It actually looks like he is supporting the number 7 player and giving him protection. (and playing fluid doesn't really help this type of situation either) The initial screenshot aside he isn't tracking anyone, and actually drops back but stays central as that's where the danger is and he's already engaged in play albeit from a little distance away.. For me you're focusing on the wrong players. The real question should be, why aren't the number 7, 16 and 28 attempting to get the ball back a lot earlier? These make the Blind situation seem worse than it is but Blind isn't at fault, it's what happens in front of him that's the issue.

I'd expect #5 to cover that space, since I'm using a back 5, certainly not Blind. Had #5 left his position, his area would be partly covered by Blind and #4. It's illogical, because Blind covers the space that is already covered (as it should) by someone else. He also has Hold position, and yet he leaves whole side unmarked for a diagonal pass.

As for Fluid, I would ditch it, but without it, my attacks totally lack creativity.

I'd expect #5 to cover that space, since I'm using a back 5, certainly not Blind. Had #5 left his position, his area would be partly covered by Blind and #4. It's illogical, because Blind covers the space that is already covered (as it should) by someone else. He also has Hold position, and yet he leaves whole side unmarked for a diagonal pass.

As for Fluid, I would ditch it, but without it, my attacks totally lack creativity.

Why would you expect 5 to cover something that he is instructed not to do? I mean, he's a normal defender on defensive team mentality which means he has low closing down. So realistically he isn't going to cover that amount of space due to how you've instructed him to play. If you want him to cover that space then you need his set to a stopper.

And again, Blind leaves his side due to the others and especially your midfield not doing anything to deal with the initial threat. It's a domino effect. Blind wouldn't do this if someone else did the job. And having hold position doesn't mean much, as that's how far he strays from his start position in attacking phases mainly. When he hasn't got the ball, closing down takes over.

Blind also has quite low closing down, and left-central area in front of penalty box isn't really his area, but 5's. As a matter of fact, I don't want anyone to step forward, but invite pressure. Any ideas on midfield, then?

The whole point of using a back 5 or back 3 is so the spare man can deal with these situations. If not then there's no real point in using a back 3 or 5 as you're restricting yourself and wasting players by having them sitting around doing nothing. You can see this in your screenshots. 5 players all marking who? 1 opposition striker. That's 4 wasted players straight away. Then when Rodrigues does get the ball, you have 8 players behind the ball marking 3 people yet noone of them actually make an attempt to win the ball. Having numbers back is great but only if there being useful and not sitting around doing nothing like in all the screenshots above. What's the point in having these players in defensive situations is no-one is taking responsibility and attempting to win the ball? You either need to use a different mentality, one that isn't so limiting and is more proactive. By that I mean your shape is naturally defensive, so you don't need to be defensive mentality wise either you can afford to be more forward thinking without sacrificing anything really. As defensive mentality makes closing down even lesser than normal etc and you don't really need to be this passive do you? Or mess around with roles/duties so players actually offer you a variety of different things rather than all of the back 5 basically doing the same thing. Personally I'd use the roles and duty distribution better and try and find the right balance for what you are creating.

Now that he mentioned it, a question.

ykdgc.jpg

The most obvious thing here that I would want to see is to have your #7 or #28 close down Rodriguez.

If #7 closes down then Blind is clear to pick up their #2 FB bombing on down the wings, but better still is to have #28 close down Rodriguez and have #16 (Carrick?) pick up the marking of their #28.

Look at their duties. Even with a system that invites pressure onto your defense you need a certain amount of closing down being done up the pitch.