Quickfire Questions and Answers Thread (Tactic and Training Questions Only)

No because the DLP is a playmaker so regardless of set up and instructions used, there will always be a biased towards the playmaking roles. So players will still look to utilise him a lot. However your CM would be more creative than he normally is, so he might do more passes himself if he feels its the right thing to do.

If you don't want players focusing passing through one specific player then I'd stay clear of any of the playmaker roles.

Thanks Cleon,. My quandary is that I find a DLP.D in a 4312 is better defensively than a CM.D although he obviously won't sit in front of the back 4 unless you play him at DM. This in turn has it's annoyances as it then narrows my two BWM's in the CM strata so I prefer a flat three in the centre of midfield for the sake of attempting to cover the width of the pitch.. However no matter what I try I can't seem to get a CM.D to defend similarly to a DLP.D even experimenting with close down less or much less instructions. Is it possible to get a CM.D more defensive or is the DLP.D the most defensive CM role there is?

• Replies 17.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Cleon,. My quandary is that I find a DLP.D in a 4312 is better defensively than a CM.D although he obviously won't sit in front of the back 4 unless you play him at DM. This in turn has it's annoyances as it then narrows my two BWM's in the CM strata so I prefer a flat three in the centre of midfield for the sake of attempting to cover the width of the pitch.. However no matter what I try I can't seem to get a CM.D to defend similarly to a DLP.D even experimenting with close down less or much less instructions. Is it possible to get a CM.D more defensive or is the DLP.D the most defensive CM role there is?

I personally prefer a DLP(d) to a CM(d) in the MC strata to provide a better defensive screen, so long as I have the correct player. So, I wouldn't use a static passing machine such as Alonso or Carrick, instead I'd want a more mobile and aggressive player - if you are playing as West Ham, Mark Noble could be ideal.

That is what I found in my Arsenal 4321 formation, where Jack Wilshere nailed it - loads of accurate passes along with team-leading tackles made and a good number of interceptions.

Whilst the goalie / central defenders tended to target the DLP to receive their passes, overall I didn't notice any difference in the quantity or quality of passes compared to my other 2 MCs (a BWMs and a B2B). In fact my BWM tend to have more passes than most other players on the pitch.

I personally prefer a DLP(d) to a CM(d) in the MC strata to provide a better defensive screen, so long as I have the correct player. So, I wouldn't use a static passing machine such as Alonso or Carrick, instead I'd want a more mobile and aggressive player - if you are playing as West Ham, Mark Noble could be ideal.

That is what I found in my Arsenal 4321 formation, where Jack Wilshere nailed it - loads of accurate passes along with team-leading tackles made and a good number of interceptions.

Whilst the goalie / central defenders tended to target the DLP to receive their passes, overall I didn't notice any difference in the quantity or quality of passes compared to my other 2 MCs (a BWMs and a B2B). In fact my BWM tend to have more passes than most other players on the pitch.

Thanks Herne. That's where I play Noble in that DLP.D slot so I'll leave it as it is. Still having issues against the bigger teams away though as there is always too much space between the midfield and defence no matter what I do. Players like Mata, Eriksen and co rip me apart Push up, drop off, man mark their AM all fail miserably. So difficult to defend I find. May I ask what team shape you used with your 4321?

Thanks Herne. That's where I play Noble in that DLP.D slot so I'll leave it as it is. Still having issues against the bigger teams away though as there is always too much space between the midfield and defence no matter what I do. Players like Mata, Eriksen and co rip me apart Push up, drop off, man mark their AM all fail miserably. So difficult to defend I find. May I ask what team shape you used with your 4321?

The base tactic uses Flexible, but I occasionally change things as matches progress.

Everything is described in here :)http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/435387-Zone-14-and-the-Christmas-Tree

The base tactic uses Flexible, but I occasionally change things as matches progress.

Everything is described in here :)http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/435387-Zone-14-and-the-Christmas-Tree

Thanks Herne much appreciated, had a look at various bits and bobs and seem to have finally got a way to get my left sided striker involved and seem to have created a decent counter pressing game which have got me a decent run of results with home wins over both Manchester Clubs and rare away wins at Spurs (3-1) and Arsenal (5-2). never looked at a TM really but now play Sakho as a TM S and Valencia as a F9 S with an AM A behind and all three are getting on the score sheet whereas before with Valencia as a CF A everything went through him and Sakho as a DLF S hardly ever received the ball. Early days but playing some wonderful stuff, pity FM16 is nearly out as it's taken me 11 months to get this far!!!

What really baffles me in this game is how inconsistent my tactics seem. I can win big one week and then get thrashed the next, without doing any changes at all. I realize I need to adapt to the opposition, but I can't play 4-5-1 one week and then something without wingers the next, I don't have the squad for that. I like to create a tactic and then build a squad for that, not keeping a lot of players for every possible position "just in case".

This game is soooo frustrating, and yet I come back to it again and again.. :-)

What really baffles me in this game is how inconsistent my tactics seem. I can win big one week and then get thrashed the next, without doing any changes at all. I realize I need to adapt to the opposition, but I can't play 4-5-1 one week and then something without wingers the next, I don't have the squad for that. I like to create a tactic and then build a squad for that, not keeping a lot of players for every possible position "just in case".

This game is soooo frustrating, and yet I come back to it again and again.. :-)

Erm why can't you always play 4-5-1 with slight adaptations? You're just making the game more complex for yourself if you think you always have to change shape. You're just causing the frustration yourself.

Also;

I can win big one week and then get thrashed the next, without doing any changes at all. I realize I need to adapt to the opposition

Adapt is maybe switching mentality or passing style. Changing shape isn't adapting, that's changing your approach.

Yeah. The thing is that just because you face a 4-1-4-1 one week and a 3-5-2 the next doesn't necessarily mean you need to adapt. You could play a 4-1-4-1 one week and the same formation the next, but they could play very differently in which case you might need to adapt. There's no point adapting for the sake of it, whilst conversely people shouldn't assume they never need to adapt. If you get a few seasons into the game, then it is easier to get away without tweaking your systems, because we have a massive advantage over the AI in terms of how we recruit and develop players.

Thing is, I have tried to make minor adjustments such as mentality and/or passing, but it is often hard to tell whether it works or not. I don't always see the big difference on the pitch. If I got it "right" we play well, and if I got it wrong, well.. Also, the question of "should I go with my default tactic, or do I need to change anything?"... I make the wrong decisions far too often, and then go on to concede a goal or two during the first ten minutes. Sometimes I manage to get back into the game, sometimes I don't.

Are there any clues to look for in advance on how the opposition will be playing? Will they close down or not, will they play short or direct, etc etc. Currently I have no other way than starting the game and watch for ten minutes, but if I got my initial setup wrong we're in for trouble straight away..

Thing is, I have tried to make minor adjustments such as mentality and/or passing, but it is often hard to tell whether it works or not. I don't always see the big difference on the pitch. If I got it "right" we play well, and if I got it wrong, well.. Also, the question of "should I go with my default tactic, or do I need to change anything?"... I make the wrong decisions far too often, and then go on to concede a goal or two during the first ten minutes. Sometimes I manage to get back into the game, sometimes I don't.

Are there any clues to look for in advance on how the opposition will be playing? Will they close down or not, will they play short or direct, etc etc. Currently I have no other way than starting the game and watch for ten minutes, but if I got my initial setup wrong we're in for trouble straight away..

I don't look at what the AI is doing at all, I just concentrate on what my team is doing and making sure they are doing what I want and expect of them. If I focused on the AI I'd be constantly changing things every game and that's far too much micromanagement that isn't really needed. Just understand the ins and outs of the shape and system you play and the rest takes care of itself.

Isn't that two sides of the same coin, so to speak? I know what I want from my team, but our opponent's tactic might stop us from doing just that. Which is why I need to also focus on the opposition and adjust?

Not really no it's two different things. If you concentrate on what the opposition is doing then you lose your own tactical identity, you don't really have one because you are forever changing. Where as concentrating on your own play and ignoring the AI you play the style you want all the time and make them adapt to you. An example for you;

You look at what the opposition is doing and you see they are having a lot of space between your defence and midfield. So you adapt so close that gap. However that might not have been a bad thing and might have been allowing you time to hit them on the counter.

Looking and watching what the AI is doing is always dangerous because when do you decide you've adapted enough or not enough? While, if you just focus on what you are doing both with and without the ball then its more clear and less confusing and requires less time on it.

In FMC is there much that you can do to assess how good the chances you create are as obviously there are no heat maps in the stats section? One of the biggest difficulties I find is that I have no idea why my team can create double the chances of the opposition and even double the shots on target but consistently lose games by the odd goal even when out gunning the opposition. Watching games the chances created look good chances a lot of the time but opposition goalkeepers are making what look like world class saves time after time but is it a good save or a bad miss? How do I know? You look at the stats and see that you striker has got 6 of his 7 shots on goal but hasn't scored but why>? How can I find out and rectify it? It just gets very frustrating seeing the opposition keeper play like Superman when you are 1-0 up and then they win 2-1 because of a penalty and your keeper letting one through his legs!!

Plus one other question > If you have "play less risky passes" on a full back/wing back/CWB does that mean he will not attempt as many crosses? Ie are crosses considered passes in this sense?

• Administrators

In FMC you can still save the PKM of the match so if you do that, from the Start Screen there is a "View Match" option. This forces the match viewer into the FM skin, so you can review Analysis there.

For FM16, FMC (Touch), will have these Analysis tools integrated into the game mode so you won't need to do this. :thup:

Plus one other question > If you have "play less risky passes" on a full back/wing back/CWB does that mean he will not attempt as many crosses? Ie are crosses considered passes in this sense?

Basically yes, but if they have an Attacking Duty then they will tend to hit a lot of crosses anyway, so the impact of the Play Less Risky Passes PI will not be enough to dramatically reduce that. Work Ball Into Box at a TI level is a better option, but that will also reduce Long Shots, which you mightn't want to do.

Thanks gents. These are good chances from what I can see. A lot of them are point blank saves similar to Neuer's save against Walcott this week, but several times a game!! I guess composure on my strikers could be partly a reason but it's difficult in FMC as even if you take control of training and target composure if it isn't a stat that can rise it doesn't and in a previous save I had Lukaku who has good composure and the keeper just kept saving his shots. It's strange because it depends on the save you play. Some saves a particular tactic and strategy works, the next save it doesn't. I had one save where Valencia as a CF A was banging them in for fun but this current save as I say the opposition goalkeeper just blocks everything.

Re Full backs with "play risky passes". I want FB's/WB's or CWB's to cross a lot in the final third but I don't want them playing silly balls out of defence where the risk of losing possession is high. I already have play out of defence as a TI so could play less risky passes be overkill? If you just wanted someone, getting forward, not dribbling much, not risking high risk passes but putting lots of crosses in which role would you use?

Well tried an experiment and put "shoot less" on all players that it was possible to do so. Went and scored 5 goals away with 6 CCC's! Go figure!!!

Well it's easy to explain, the players tend to only shoot when the chance is a good one when that instruction is on. Although they still need options but if you have this then the shot quality should improve.

Well it's easy to explain, the players tend to only shoot when the chance is a good one when that instruction is on. Although they still need options but if you have this then the shot quality should improve.

Well interestingly enough Valencia has now bagged two hat-tricks in two games although a lot of that maybe due to the fact that he has a long shot PPM so uaually wastes a lot of possession through doing that. Goals from crosses have crept up as well as have CCC's but of course shot count has dropped, however I'd rather have 6 shots on target from 10 attempts than 6 on target from 40 attempts!! Since asking players to shoot less my penalty count has increased as well.

Cleon, What is the difference between getting players to shoot less and work ball into the box? I assume a big part of the difference would be that with just PI's of shoot less crosses would be as normal where WBIB would reduce crosses?

Also what are peoples opinions and experiences on tighter marking? I play a 4312 but find it gets cut open too much.. I have been experimenting with tight marking on full backs and the AM plus the two strikers and seems to be working ok' ish but not convinced. I know certainly tighter marking is a no no for centre backs but is there a benefit to using it on some players?

In recent games with tighter marking I have noticed that the oppositions shot count has gone down. Played Leicester at home and drew 2-2 in the Cup. In the replay stuck tighter marking on Mark Noble in the centre and won 5-0. Maybe he kept Cambiasso quiet so maybe there are benefits....

Hi guys,

I've been using my successful 4-4-2 with Arsenal for quite a while, but I've had a few issues with certain players PPMs, namely the two players competing for my ML role - Sanchez and Cazorla.

Cazorla has the "Shoots from Distance" PPM, which sees him take shots when there's no real need to shoot at all.

Sanchez has the "Runs with ball often", which routinely see's him flattened (and more often than not, injured).

Both players are used as an AP(A), which works really well, but I'm unable to reduce shooting or dribbling via the Instructions for this role. Is there any way I can replicate the AP(A) role with another role, which would allow me to stop them from wasting possession?

Hi guys,

I've been using my successful 4-4-2 with Arsenal for quite a while, but I've had a few issues with certain players PPMs, namely the two players competing for my ML role - Sanchez and Cazorla.

Cazorla has the "Shoots from Distance" PPM, which sees him take shots when there's no real need to shoot at all.

Sanchez has the "Runs with ball often", which routinely see's him flattened (and more often than not, injured).

Both players are used as an AP(A), which works really well, but I'm unable to reduce shooting or dribbling via the Instructions for this role. Is there any way I can replicate the AP(A) role with another role, which would allow me to stop them from wasting possession?

You can't control PPM's with settings because even if you changed the tactical settings the player will still use his PPM when he decides. The only way of stopping it is to unlearn the PPM's. PPM's are tendencies so that means its all down to the players decision making on how often he uses them.

I bet it has been answered before, but I wonder how to get around using the same tactic more than one season. When I find I system that works, I don´t understand why I have to contantly change the tactic in order for it to work. I guess my question is how do I change the tactic so I can not "get found out" by the opponent. Do I have to change the tactic before every game. I am a fan of the "Plug and Play" kind of FM, but I guess those times are over...

I bet it has been answered before, but I wonder how to get around using the same tactic more than one season. When I find I system that works, I don´t understand why I have to contantly change the tactic in order for it to work. I guess my question is how do I change the tactic so I can not "get found out" by the opponent. Do I have to change the tactic before every game. I am a fan of the "Plug and Play" kind of FM, but I guess those times are over...

There is no such thing as "getting found out" or a tactic stopping to work how it's supposed to work.

What does happen after a successful season is your reputation changes which can change the way other teams play against you. Another factor is increased pressure on your players or possible complacency or lack of motivation.

btw. If you find the answer make sure to contact Mourinho, he might have a job for you!

Speaking of which, which default match training focus would you prefer for a dominating team such as Arsenal? I've had Attacking Movement most of the time but maybe Teamwork is a more clever choice? Or Defensive Positioning to make conceding from counters less likely to happen?

Tactic familiarity will slowly go down if it's not set to at least 10%.

This is not true at all. Tactic familiarity only goes down if you bring new players in or switch TI's or because the season has finished. It doesn't diminish on it's own. I don't use match training as a rule because I like my players to have all training time spent on development instead. I think I mentioned this in the Ajax thread at various points.

Speaking of which, which default match training focus would you prefer for a dominating team such as Arsenal? I've had Attacking Movement most of the time but maybe Teamwork is a more clever choice? Or Defensive Positioning to make conceding from counters less likely to happen?

It doesn't really make a difference you only get a very slight boost for the next game and it's hardly noticeable so just select what you think might be more beneficial for you.

Has anybody used a tactic without any attacking duties? As for Chelsea, this is my current setup;

TacticalOverview.png

Roles and Duties: (assistants reports of B Pos, B Role, B Duty)

Courtois: GK-D (Goalkeeper - Defend) none

Ivanovic: FB-Auto (Limited Full Back - Defend) shoot less often, dribble less, hold position, fewer risky passes, cross less often

Cahill: CD-D (Limited Defender - Defend) more direct passes

Terry: CD-D (Central Defender - Stopper) close down more

Azpilicueta: WB-Auto (Wingback - Defend) hold position, fewer risky passes, cross from deep

Fabregas: CM-S (Advanced Playmaker - Support) shoot less often, dribble more, more risky passes

Matic: CM-D (Ancorman - Defend) shoot less often, dribble less, fewer risky passes

Pedro: W-S or A? (Raumdeuter - Attack) roam from position, pass it shorter, sit narrower (changed role to IF-A)

Oscar: AM-S (Advanced Playmaker - Support) shoot less often, dribble more, hold position, more risky passes

Hazard: IF-S (Inside Forward - Support) none

Costa: DLF-S or CF-S? (Defensive Forward - Defend) close down more, tackle harder, hold position, fewer risky passes (changed role to TM-S)

I'm thinking of a tactic without any specialist roles at all but with PI's try to make them like they have.

Is this possible and a good idea you think? Inputs please.

Cheers ;)

I also noticed that we are conceding an unusually big number of goals in the last 15 minutes of the game. Assists are coming from both flanks. They are either from dangerous crosses from the byline after a quick break against us or from corners. My current 4-2-3-1 Wide tactic (Very Fluid/Control + close down more and press higher) uses high pressing on opponent's half, and my both full backs are set as WB/s. I pay close attention to player condition and fitness levels and always prefer players who are less fatigued. Given all this, could you suggest possible causes of this?

conceded.jpg

Thanks!

What the hell is so good about this tactic I've formed? This seems stupid on paper but in practice it is working so well so far!

Formation: 4-1-1-3-1 DM Wide (Sometimes 4-1-1-3-1 DM WB Wide)

Mentality: Control

Team Shape: Stuctured

Team Instructions: Retain Possession, Shorter Passing, Work Ball Into Box, Play Out Of Defence, Exploit The Middle, Play Narrower, Prevent Short GK Distribution, Use Offside Trap, Lower Tempo

Goalkeeper: Sweeper Keeper - Support

Fullbacks (DL + DR) (Sometimes WBL + WBR): Inverted Wing Backs - Support

Centre Backs: Central Defenders - Defend

Defensive Midfielder: Regista - Support

Centre Midfielder: Central Midfielder - Defend

Attacking Widemen (AML + AMR) Wingers - Attack

Centre Attacking Midfielder: Attacking Midfielder - Attack

Striker: Advanced Forward - Attack

No OIs or PIs. This just seems to work for some reason, and I want to know why.

I also noticed that we are conceding an unusually big number of goals in the last 15 minutes of the game. Assists are coming from both flanks. They are either from dangerous crosses from the byline after a quick break against us or from corners. My current 4-2-3-1 Wide tactic (Very Fluid/Control + close down more and press higher) uses high pressing on opponent's half, and my both full backs are set as WB/s. I pay close attention to player condition and fitness levels and always prefer players who are less fatigued. Given all this, could you suggest possible causes of this?

conceded.jpg

Thanks!

I'm answering myself. Since I'm using high pressing and my deepest players are near the half-way line throughout the match, it's likely that the opposition will start to play longer balls into open space come the end of the match. My wing-backs are likely to be out of position to deal with this threat. Corners are very likely just a bad luck, because I'm using default instructions for set pieces and never had a problem before or after.

Your ideas?

Watch the clips back of where this has happened via the analysis tab and you'll see exactly what the issue is.

I have done that already before posting here. Sorry for not wording myself clearly enough. Most of the time it was a long ball to winger, who then made a run on the flank and put in a cross to a strong forward who beat my defender in the air. That simple. These were like 50% of the goals conceded. Others fall into different categories. How do you defend against these crosses? From what I've seen, these are really dangerous and it would be better to stop these crosses in the first place rather than deal with the headers in my box. Is a Wing Back/Support too vulnerable by default? Should I consider adding Tight Marking to him? Thanks.

I have done that already before posting here. Sorry for not wording myself clearly enough. Most of the time it was a long ball to winger, who then made a run on the flank and put in a cross to a strong forward who beat my defender in the air. That simple. These were like 50% of the goals conceded. Others fall into different categories. How do you defend against these crosses? From what I've seen, these are really dangerous and it would be better to stop these crosses in the first place rather than deal with the headers in my box. Is a Wing Back/Support too vulnerable by default? Should I consider adding Tight Marking to him? Thanks.

I don't know who it's down to because only you have access to the games. Have you viewed the build up and the start of the move rather than the end of the move? As that's where the initial problem arises from, from before it actually happens. Have a look at who is out of position or how your players are positioned before the long ball and ask yourself if its a duty or role issue and who realistically should be covering this space or marking.

I don't know who it's down to because only you have access to the games. Have you viewed the build up and the start of the move rather than the end of the move? As that's where the initial problem arises from, from before it actually happens. Have a look at who is out of position or how your players are positioned before the long ball and ask yourself if its a duty or role issue and who realistically should be covering this space or marking.

Thanks. That's clever. I need to focus more on where the initial problem arises from, from before it actually happens. If I have have any more specific questions I'll make the pertaining PKM's available.

Anyone know how the AI manages to get it's wide players to swap positions? I note that Raheem Sterling and Jordan Ibe swap sides several times a half when playing Liverpool and it's very difficult to counter unless you pause the game every few seconds!!

The AI has the same tools you have, so it would be from the Player Instructions screen.

how to increase run from deep frequency from player? My side midfield got decent pace and poor dribling, but good at off the ball,passing,and crossing. He's not run from deep as often as expected.I would likehim to run from deep often,without ball,then cross as soon as possible.

Will FM15 tactics be compatible with FM16?

I doubt it. SI may have changed some of the Roles to lock / unlock specific PIs. There may also have been changes to the way TIs work so it's unlikely that you can import FM15 tactics into FM16. As ever, if the tactic is logical, then its broader concept can be recreated in FM16.

how to increase run from deep frequency from player? My side midfield got decent pace and poor dribling, but good at off the ball,passing,and crossing. He's not run from deep as often as expected.I would likehim to run from deep often,without ball,then cross as soon as possible.

What Roles / Duties have you tried? What Mentality and Team Shape?

I have a similar player and I use him as a Wide Midfielder - Attack. When he got the ball he pass it and runs

FM15, How do you guys stop the likes of Balotelli, Aguero and Harry Kane?

4-2 up against Spurs in the Capital One Cup First Leg but I know that's not enough. Do I start on attack like I did in the First Leg or do I try and defend? I try and attack with a high line because Kane is slow and I can either catch him off side or my defenders will catch him because they are quicker. 15 minutes in I am two down with goals from Harry Kane, one a header and the other a near post cross is finished with the deftest of touches. I am annoyed because Balanta is up against him and his defensive stats match up to Kane's attacking stats but Kane always seems to come out on top.

I get one back from kick off and decide to go 4141 to man mark Eriksen at AM and stop Bernard who is supplying the crosses. Doesn't work, Eriksen scores after my keeper spills an easy shot and then Bernard crosses again for Kane to head home and then he gets another at a corner.

I go for broke attacking again and get one back but I am out of the Cup!!

So how do you stop these super strikers like Kane. Balotelli and Aguero? I can't man mark them, can't push up, can't drop deep and seemingly can't stop the supply and it's always away from home, never an issue at home. Maybe hard tackle them and try and injure them early?

Any ideas because even after a year of FM15 I still can't get a back four to defend!!!!!

Stopping a player is impossible almost so what you do is stop the supply he gets. I never focus on a player and what he did to finish off the move because unless its a spectacular solo effort where the player has ran and ran at my side then it doesn't matter the finish or end bit of the move is irrelevant. The most important thing to focus on is what happened before the finish and how it got to that point. The answer will always lie within what happened before. Focus on that and stop these players getting the ball as often as they do. It's hard to give you specifics though as there are literally a million ways to achieve that.

I find it weird that you got a goal back though and then switched formation completely. Maybe you chopping and changing constantly is the issue here? You see someone do something and you ALWAYS react to it and maybe, just maybe sometimes you don't need to because its just one of those things and you can't play the perfect game and you can't cut every single mistake/issue out. Yet it seems you are trying to do this with your posts over the years. You've got a habit of being what I class as a very over reactive manager and you over analyse and over think things. Maybe after all these years it's time to strip back and forget everything you've learnt done so far and just go back to simple basics?

You sides seem to lack consistency due to all the changes, you change shape, settings, mentality, TI's etc constantly so never actually fully develop a system or create a proper playing style. There's nothing wrong with adapting but you don't need to constantly worry about the opposition. Instead focus on what your side does well and how you can improve that. This is your major downfall imo because you get hung up on every single detail of what the opposition is doing and somewhere amongst all this you lose your own attacking ideas and don't focus on them enough. I know this post will probably come across as me having a pop at you and I'm sorry if it does. It's just I get frustrated seeing you post about your issues all time, not because I don't want to help. In fact it's the opposite, I believe you create a lot of these issues yourself with your over eagerness or how you'll constantly change your game plan for the slightest of things. I really do want to see you do well out of anyone I've ever seen post because over the years we've had a lot of discussions back and forth on these forums. So it's like I'm always rooting for you to have a lightbulb moment or for everything suddenly to click :D

Honestly mate just strip back and don't make things more complicated than they need to be. And to answer your original question of ;

Do I start on attack like I did in the First Leg or do I try and defend?

How about starting like you normally do then make changes based on what you see? After the first goal did you look at why he scored and see the position of your players? he game can be won or lost in the opening 15 minutes of a goal. If I was going to make any changes if this was my own save I'd have done them during this period more than likely as it would set the tone for the game.

Again sorry if it seems critical, I do mean well I honestly do :)

Not at all Cleon it's not an overcritical post and I do appreciate the help I do. In my defence I never change formation. It was just that game as I knew Bernard was flying down the wing and was becoming a problem I just tried not to concede as I knew the 4312 was too narrow against him but nothing I do defensively seems to work.

Funnily enough I played the game again as I had saved it just to see how I would have got on if I had just played my usual 4312 all the way through and got beat 6-4 with Kane again dominating in the goals. So what do you do?! That's two games, one reacting, one not reacting and exactly the same outcome. It's as if the likes of Spurs, Chelsea and Liverpool have this auto overload at home that is impossible to stop whatever you do. The Spurs and Liverpool formations especially have glaring weaknesses but still manage to get 11 men going forward and 11 men behind the ball when defending.

I have as you suggested stripped back and even played games with just a formation and mentality with no PI's and TI's and can go two or three up and get beat 4-3 and have to confess I see absolutely nothing different going on on the pitch with regard to mentalities, roles or duties!!! I can as I say go two up, see the opposition is dominating so say swap CWB A to a CWB S which IRL and in theory will make your defence more solid but it does the opposite it seems and you concede. Defending just seems impossible with players either standing around not putting tackles in and doing the very basics.

It probably is my tactics but it just gets extremely mind boggling when you can win 2-0, 3-0, 4-1, 3-0, 2-1 then lose 3-4, 0-2, 2-3, 1-3 in a row. To be fair that's when I start fiddling as I had that lightbulb moment then the lightbulb just faded as I went from unbeaten in 5 or 6 to can't win in 5 or 6.

Maybe it's a case of just accepting the games away at Spurs, Liverpool etc are unwinnable when they play certain players.

I mean is anything glaringly wrong with this set up bar the fact that obviously it is weak out wide, I play it most of the time but it is so inconsistent?

-------------------DLF S---------CF A-------------------

---------------------------AM A--------------------------

----------------BWM S---DLP D---BWM S--------------

CWB A/S------CD D---------------CD D--------CWB A/S

---------------------------SK A--------------------------

Attacking/Control - Fluid

TI's - Play out of defence (have experimented taking this off), stop GK dist, Stay on feet (sometimes)

PI's - Front three - Close Down Much More, Tackle harder (Rashidi's high block suggestion), Move Into Channels,

----------------------- BWM's and CWB's, play less risky passes

----------------------- GK distribute to full backs. Did experiment taking this off as thought maybe my full backs hadn't got good enough passing but to no avail.

As always do appreciate your help.

PS, That lightbulb moment was in patch two then with patch three the lightbulb blew!!!

I mean you are playing quite an attacking formation and tactic against big sides. Can you really expect to win constantly that way? Have you tried going far more defensive and playing for a draw? Or pulling back your CWBs to fullback to stop them flying up the wing so often.

Yes, tried playing counter, standard and defensive and same outcome. That's why I tend to stick to attacking cos if I am definitely going to concede I might as well try and score. Even defensively it's like I am playing the offside trap I can be so high it's weird. As for the CWB's have tried them as CWB S, FB S and the play exactly the same. Only difference I note is that as full backs they don't attack as often,. Defensively same old failings.