Sports Interactive Community
wwfan

Stupid Questions Thread (Tactic and Training Questions Only)

Is there any way to stop conceding a ridiculous amount of goals from corners/set pieces in the lower leagues?

I've conceded 7 goals in 3 league games from corners

What's your defending set pieces set up?

cd948a15bdb87a43a10fa2a9c4871719.png

As you can see from the picture, my two midfielders (#12 and #16) are closing down on Graham (#26). I felt this is too risky as it leaves gaps and free space for the opposition. How do i counter this problem?

*#12's role is RPM(s) and #16's role is DLP(d).

cd948a15bdb87a43a10fa2a9c4871719.png

As you can see from the picture, my two midfielders (#12 and #16) are closing down on Graham (#26). I felt this is too risky as it leaves gaps and free space for the opposition. How do i counter this problem?

*#12's role is RPM(s) and #16's role is DLP(d).

What shape? You only seem to have 9 outfield players so some context of the match would help.

What shape? You only seem to have 9 outfield players so some context of the match would help.

I am trying out your 343 Cleon, with a variation. Instead of dw, I set them as wingback(d).

I am trying out your 343 Cleon, with a variation. Instead of dw, I set them as wingback(d).

And why only 9 players? You're leaving important bits of information out here.....

What's your defending set pieces set up?

CB's mark tall

FB's mark posts

AMC Stay forward

AMLc close down corner

AMRc Edge of area

MRC/MLC/DM man mark

Plus if you're trying the 3-4-3 I posted about then you haven't understood the importance of the roles and what they did. Now you've used defensive wingbacks the whole dynamics have changed and now your midfield will suffer from this I wrote about recently;

http://sisportscentre.com/the-4-2-3-1-midfield-analysis/

The wingbacks will be far too cautious and position themselves behind the MC's and this is bad because now you've created gaps due to the players being staggered and the MC's will have different responsibilities now. While the article above is about a different shape and roles the underlying issue is still the exact same, so give it a read and you'll know why.

Plus if you're trying the 3-4-3 I posted about then you haven't understood the importance of the roles and what they did. Now you've used defensive wingbacks the whole dynamics have changed and now your midfield will suffer from this I wrote about recently;

http://sisportscentre.com/the-4-2-3-1-midfield-analysis/

The wingbacks will be far too cautious and position themselves behind the MC's and this is bad because now you've created gaps due to the players being staggered and the MC's will have different responsibilities now. While the article above is about a different shape and roles the underlying issue is still the exact same, so give it a read and you'll know why.

Alright, I'll give it a read. Also, I seem to having trouble defending against teams that play AM position. Is there anything i can read?

Alright, I'll give it a read. Also, I seem to having trouble defending against teams that play AM position. Is there anything i can read?

Why did you only have 9 men? Asked you 3 times and still no answer. This is important due to you trying to pass the image off as being something wrong. Context is everything.

Why did you only have 9 men? Asked you 3 times and still no answer. This is important due to you trying to pass the image off as being something wrong. Context is everything.

Oh I didn't see, I had 11. There's another wingback at the other flank, I just didn't screen capture the whole field. I will probably post it once I am done with work.

I saw in the bust the net thread that you can see the opposition player roles. I have the Scorpio skin and Steklo but can't see this on the match preview. Any help?

It's on opposition instruction tab. U can see their roles there

CB's mark tall

FB's mark posts

AMC Stay forward

AMLc close down corner

AMRc Edge of area

MRC/MLC/DM man mark

I believe your problem lies with your MRC/MLC/DM. With the exception of your DM, your MRC and MLC are likely to be average or below average man markers so they are likely to lose sight of the opposition players they are supposed to mark.

Try something like this.

CBs - mark tall

The next best marking, concentration, jumping and header player - man mark

2 players who can't mark, jump and head - mark posts

1 player who can't mark, jump, head but pacey - forward

3 players who are decent in marking, jumping and heading - zonal mark

1 player who is decent in jumping and heading - close down corner

Ok, you will realise you don't have any player on the edge of area. Imo, there is no point having 1 there. Sometimes the AI do not have anyone lurking out there so the player there will do nothing. He will not enter the pk box to help out with the defending. If there is an opposition player on the edge, I believe having an extra player in the box will make it more difficult for him to shoot it on target.

Does the coach that you ask to help a player train a PPM effect the outcome? Are you better off using your highest ability coach or one skilled in a specific area?

It's on opposition instruction tab. U can see their roles there

Pre match, I'm on the opposition instructions and can't see it. It's just the shirt with name and number but no roles? Is there something I need to click in preferences?

Hi, Sorry for the stupid newb question. In the opposition instructions section (in the pre kickoff screens) there are two tabs, one with the players names listed and the other with just their generic positions listed, does anyone know which of these takes precident over the other? eg. if in one tab I say to always close down the AMC, and in the other I say to never close him down, which one does the game follow?

First Tab

88wRyUN.jpg

Second Tab

yuub5BT.jpg

Thanks in advance :-)

The page with players will be specific to that player and the page with position effects anyone who plays in that position that doesnt have player specific instructions.

The page with players will be specific to that player and the page with position effects anyone who plays in that position that doesnt have player specific instructions.

Ahh, that makes sense, thanks Kamakazeee :-)

Pre match, I'm on the opposition instructions and can't see it. It's just the shirt with name and number but no roles? Is there something I need to click in preferences?

Oh, I forgot what custom skin I'm using but at the prematch I also cant see their roles. I set OI manually when I'm at the match already n there the opposition roles can be seen. Idk if with default skin u can see the roles at pre-match.

Is there any point in selecting the 'Use Offside Trap' TI on an attacking mentality? Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't it already selected by default on an attacking mentality?

Is there any point in selecting the 'Use Offside Trap' TI on an attacking mentality? Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't it already selected by default on an attacking mentality?

If it is a selectable option, then it isn't enabled within the default settings.

It's never set as a default instruction, of course each more attacking mentality will have a higher default D-Line which can see less mobile opposition forwards being caught offside more often than they otherwise would.

If it is a selectable option, then it isn't enabled within the default settings.
It's never set as a default instruction, of course each more attacking mentality will have a higher default D-Line which can see less mobile opposition forwards being caught offside more often than they otherwise would.

I see. Thanks for clearing that up for me RTHerringbone and Barside.

I have lots of stupid questions.

1: Why did my season crash and burn when it mattered the most? The cup final was pathetic. I destroyed GA Eagles only days before, but in the final it was like I was playing Barcelona at full strength..

szzpr9.jpg

2: Why did my team play so much better when I changed from "fluid" to "structured"? I read the "Lines and Diamonds", Fluid is what I want from my team, but it didn't work out as planned. I started changing various things, one at the time before changing back, and when I went from "fluid" to "structured" things just clicked. I guess my real question is "how do I know what to choose?". Clearly just having an idea of what you want from your team isn't enough..

3: Can I discipline my players in FMC? I hate my GK right now..

I believe you can discipline your players in FMC if their ratings are 5 and below. Just go to more actions and there should be an option there.

Opposite team plays high line when it is losing. Most of them use 4-3-3- with 3 strikers formation. My team tries lots of risky pass and through ball. But I want to play safe because my team loses lots of possession because of the through ball. In the past, there is a TI which was called pass to the feet. But what can I do now? slower tempo? But this TI does nothing for me.

I have lots of stupid questions.

1: Why did my season crash and burn when it mattered the most? The cup final was pathetic. I destroyed GA Eagles only days before, but in the final it was like I was playing Barcelona at full strength..

szzpr9.jpg

AI approaches matches differently depending on the situation. I am going to guess you didn't change a thing, which can be a problem unless you're supremely confident in your side and tactics. I really can't say with any certainty what your issue is, but I'm going to guess that you didn't change anything when you needed to. I tend to find I can over perform with my sides by being shrewd with tactics and team selection, particularly changing tactic to suit the situation as often as I want in FMC.

2: Why did my team play so much better when I changed from "fluid" to "structured"? I read the "Lines and Diamonds", Fluid is what I want from my team, but it didn't work out as planned. I started changing various things, one at the time before changing back, and when I went from "fluid" to "structured" things just clicked. I guess my real question is "how do I know what to choose?". Clearly just having an idea of what you want from your team isn't enough..

3: Can I discipline my players in FMC? I hate my GK right now..

2) It sounds like Fluid just doesn't suit your side, whether they are unable to cope with the additional freedom given or they are just better managed with a more strict setup. Take another look at your players and in particularly matches in fluid vs structured where you've used the same setup. See what your players are doing differently, look at their confidence levels going into these games. A team low on more I don't use fluid/very fluid at all, but thats just my own personal approach and nothing gospel.

3) Yes you can. News items where they warrant it will give you the option to fine players for sending offs and things like missing training etc for newness. For poor performances though, you will need to go into their actions menu after a match. If it doesn't appear then for some reason doesn't apply.

As for hating your GK, might want to look at the men in front of him. I'm in League 2 right now and my GK is performing even better this season than last (in the Conference) due to the people in front of him. He's scoring less this season sadly but he's much better defensively.

AI approaches matches differently depending on the situation. I am going to guess you didn't change a thing, which can be a problem unless you're supremely confident in your side and tactics. I really can't say with any certainty what your issue is, but I'm going to guess that you didn't change anything when you needed to. I tend to find I can over perform with my sides by being shrewd with tactics and team selection, particularly changing tactic to suit the situation as often as I want in FMC.

True. I didn't change anything, as my opponents didn't stand a chance in the previous league encounter. I also got an early 1-0 lead in the final, but it quickly went downhill from there. I did change things when I started struggling in the final, but in retrospect it is obvious I should have changed something else...

2) It sounds like Fluid just doesn't suit your side, whether they are unable to cope with the additional freedom given or they are just better managed with a more strict setup. Take another look at your players and in particularly matches in fluid vs struct"bettured where you've used the same setup. See what your players are doing differently, look at their confidence levels going into these games. A team low on more I don't use fluid/very fluid at all, but thats just my own personal approach and nothing gospel.

Thanks, helpful ideas there. Just wondering, could this be simplified to "better players = more fluid? Do average players perform better in a more structured approach? I am playing as Utrecht, a mid-table team in Holland, without any reinforcements. We were predicted 7th (?) and finished 5th. Decent season overall.

3) Yes you can. News items where they warrant it will give you the option to fine players for sending offs and things like missing training etc for newness. For poor performances though, you will need to go into their actions menu after a match. If it doesn't appear then for some reason doesn't apply.

As for hating your GK, might want to look at the men in front of him. I'm in League 2 right now and my GK is performing even better this season than last (in the Conference) due to the people in front of him. He's scoring less this season sadly but he's much better defensively.

I couldn't find the discipline option, but I guess he wasn't really any worse than the others anyway. The Heerenveen game (0-4) was actually an even contest, but they scored on their chances and I didn't.

Thank you for your thorough reply. My post was really just for blowing off some steam. :lol: Thing is, I don't have a clue with this game. I come from the old CM era and the game has changed massively since CM 01/02. The tactic part in FM15 is just overwhelming. I feel I am reading guides over and over again but I still don't "get" it. You guys in SI might want to do something about that for FM16. Experienced FM'ers will probably play FM16 without much hassle, but being a newcomer to this game series is not an easy task.

Is there anything I can do tactically to stop conceding so many long range efforts/ unlikely goals?

I've only won 1 game so far this season (in 9) drawn 5 (4 from winning positions) and lost 3 (2 from winning positions) and more often than not the equalizing goal is a long range effort.

I play either

--------------GK-D-------------

FB-S -- DC-D -- DC-D -- FB-S

-------------- A-D -------------

------- CM-A --- CM-S--------

W-S-----------------------IF-S

--------------DLF-S-----------

OR

FB-S -- DC-D -- DC-D -- FB-S

--------------------------------

------- DLP-D --- DLP-S--------

W-S-----------E-A---------IF-S

--------------DLF-S-----------

I tend to use a direct, high tempo style of play. Deep defensive line if using defensive mentality, high defensive line and high closing down if more offensive.

I concede far too many long range efforts from both defensive strategies, so could just be my goalkeepers' poor positioning stats, even so is there anyway to reduce the amount?

I'm thinking of changing one of my CM's (or even both) to close down a lot more, to give my defence a bit more protection and to try and keep my anchor man in position, but I'm worried that if the CM is caught out of position my anchor man will look to cover for him and leave my defence exposed.

(Just as I'm writing this I've just conceded a goal from a stupid angle :seagull: )

What's your reason for using a defensive strategy with drop deeper TI? You could probably stop their through balls but you also give them a lot more space just outside to try those long shots you mentioned.

Yes, gk could also be a factor.

I tend to use a direct, high tempo style of play. Deep defensive line if using defensive mentality, high defensive line and high closing down if more offensive.

I concede far too many long range efforts from both defensive strategies, so could just be my goalkeepers' poor positioning stats, even so is there anyway to reduce the amount?

You need to remember (not sure if you know this) but a Defensive mentality, being defensive, will already have little closing down and a deep line as default. If you're dropping it even deeper, it's possible that you are just too deep and giving them way too much room.

Opposite team plays high line when it is losing. Most of them use 4-3-3- with 3 strikers formation. My team tries lots of risky pass and through ball. But I want to play safe because my team loses lots of possession because of the through ball. In the past, there is a TI which was called pass to the feet. But what can I do now? slower tempo? But this TI does nothing for me.

Retain Possession? IIRC it lowers tempo, shortens passing and reduces through balls, so it should be exactly what you're looking for.

Is there any benefit for a striker who mainly play as a F9 (or other drop deeper-striker roles) to possess arrives late in opposition area?

I have a striker who came from club's academy as a central midfielder. When he was still a CM I trained him arrives late in opposition area. but a very long injury suffered by my main striker changed my plan on the young midfielder. After successfuly converted him into a forward + taught him comes deep to get ball I saw that he displayed a playstyle I expect from a F9, better than his long gone senior who only has comes deep to get ball even thought the long gone senior attributes were not inferior to him both technical n mental.

Idk for sure if arrives late into opposition area is the main reason. Both payers are quite consistent performers at their peak so I ruled consistency out. I might be wrong. But this former central midfielder is seemingly play better n involved more in the same system his senior used to play.

What's your reason for using a defensive strategy with drop deeper TI? You could probably stop their through balls but you also give them a lot more space just outside to try those long shots you mentioned.

Yes, gk could also be a factor.

My defence was getting caught out too often from high balls over the top and through balls through the middle. Changed a few things around, staying with the more aggressive defensive style has helped. Got my full backs putting challenges in now which has stopped the opposition wingers cutting inside and laying it off for a long range attempt.

Got my Anchor Man to close down less so he stays in position and makes it harder/less likely for the ball to be played into those areas.

Changed my CM-S to a Box to Box midfielder and it's helped to tighten up the defence a little bit.

You need to remember (not sure if you know this) but a Defensive mentality, being defensive, will already have little closing down and a deep line as default. If you're dropping it even deeper, it's possible that you are just too deep and giving them way too much room.

Yeah my idea was to soak up pressure and to cut out the balls through the defence and the missed headers from balls over the top. It seems like that lead to my Full Backs allowing the wingers to do what they wanted and the gap between my DM and the rest of my midfield being way too big.

After making changes I've actually managed to start keeping clean sheets, and when I am conceding it's the odd goal from a cross or counter attack.

Are some PI's counter productive to what you are trying to achieve mentality wise? For instance if you say start with a standard mentality with some roles using PI's of "less risky passes" would then a change to an attacking mentality but sticking with those PI's be counter productive as obviously attacking is more risk and reward so those PI's could affect what you are trying to achieve with that mentality?

On the subject of "less risky passes". Are crosses considered passes? Reason I ask is that say you have that PI on full backs/wing backs. Does that mean that they will cross less than if you weren't using that PI?

Something that keeps coming up a lot is the relationship between mentality and roles, which I'm still always a bit fuzzy on (FM14 here)

If I have an attacking mentality, but add in the requisite shouts to make it more like a counter or standard mentality ( drop deeper, lower tempo, close down less etc) will it then behave exactly like a standard or counter mentality. I realise Counter has a sort of 'counter attack' feature so maybe doesn't apply so much. But still.

Something that keeps coming up a lot is the relationship between mentality and roles, which I'm still always a bit fuzzy on (FM14 here)

If I have an attacking mentality, but add in the requisite shouts to make it more like a counter or standard mentality ( drop deeper, lower tempo, close down less etc) will it then behave exactly like a standard or counter mentality. I realise Counter has a sort of 'counter attack' feature so maybe doesn't apply so much. But still.

It won't, because of Mentality itself. They'll still play more risky football. Take more chances with passes, tackles, shots, dribbles and forward runs.

The passing structure is also different. Attack has short passing at the back with direct passing up front. The Counter (technically, Defend) is the opposite.

Not exactly the same, no. Very broadly you may see some similarities, but there will be differences:- not only in TIs (attacking mentality + Drop deeper won't give you as deep a line as say counter for example) but different mentalities also affect individual player mentalities.

By the way, the "counter attack" feature is kind of a misnomer. You can get counter attacks with any mentality, however you may see a few more counter attacks with different mentalities (Defensive, Counter and Attacking if I remember correctly).

Not exactly the same, no. Very broadly you may see some similarities, but there will be differences:- not only in TIs (attacking mentality + Drop deeper won't give you as deep a line as say counter for example) but different mentalities also affect individual player mentalities.

By the way, the "counter attack" feature is kind of a misnomer. You can get counter attacks with any mentality, however you may see a few more counter attacks with different mentalities (Defensive, Counter and Attacking if I remember correctly).

Doesnt counter attack activate a sort of 'full attack mode' when the situation right?

Doesnt counter attack activate a sort of 'full attack mode' when the situation right?

It allows your most advanced players to attack at speed if there's an opportunity to

All mentalities have the capacity to do that, some can do it more often than others - as detailed by herne79 above.

In my current save I'm in my 3rd season with Schalke.

It's one of my first saves on FM15 that I've recently revisited. The first 2 and a bit seasons we played a strikerless 4-3-3-0 formation but since picking up the save again I've employed my staple tactic on FM15 which is a 4-1-2-2-1 set up as follows:

GK - Fahrmann - Sweeper Keeper (D)

DR - Jung - Full Back (S)

DL - Telles - Wing Back (A)

DC - Howedes - Centre Back (D)

DC - Sule - Centre Back (D)

DM - Gil Romero - Deep Lying Playmaker (D)

CM - Goretzka - B2B Midfielder (S)

CM - Tielemans - Advanced Playmaker (A)

AMR - Meyer - Winger (A)

AML - Draxler - Inside Forward (S)

ST - Avdijaj - Complete Forward (S)

This tactic has been pretty solid across the board in all of my saves, though they are usually with bigger teams, with better players. The main knock on it and something I want to change and encourage is the lack of link up/partnership(s) with my ST and the AM(s) and/or supporting midfielders.

I also feel that Meyer in particular is isolated in the winger role and would like both him and Draxler (though Draxler is scoring freely as the IF), to be closer to Avdijaj and to generally create mahyem and slick interplay. However my concern is that they will all get in eachother's way and want to occupy the same space.

I'm happy to change the shape of the team, though essentially I want a back four with midfield protection for when the fullbacks join in the attacking play, a midfield that supports and links with the attacking players and attacking interplay between Draxler, Avdijaj and Meyer resulting in goals.

In season 2 with the strikerless formation Goretzka was our top scorer from central midfield and with the 4-1-2-2-1 Draxler is the top scorer from AML. I think what I'm after is funneling more/varied/better chances to my ST and have Draxler and Meyer closer and creating a partnership with Avdijaj, rather than being stuck out on the wings.

I hope that makes sense. Any help is appreciated. ;)

Anyone have any tips on how to set up a successful corner tactic?

Try this. It doesn't give you alot of direct goals from corners but will give you alot of indirect goals.

http://strikerless.com/2014/12/07/using-set-pieces-to-break-open-a-match-and-preventing-your-opponent-from-doing-so/

Instead of the near post flick on, I used attack near post. Of course you can try and see which gives you better results.

I'm a bit confused as to the difference between a poacher and an advanced forward. Can someone point to the main differences or perhaps name a player in real life for each role?

Advanced forward drops and moves into channels.Poacher specifically sits in the defenders back and looks to latch himself onto a through ball directed at the free space behind the enemy defensive line, essentially trying to break the offside trap in a manner.Also a side note, the poacher is the attacker role that sits the highest upfield than any other attacker.Imo always.

Pretty vague question here, but generally what is the more adventurous and/or aggressive: A CWB/WB(a) in the wing back slot. Or a defensive winger in the midfield slot?

Pretty vague question here, but generally what is the more adventurous and/or aggressive: A CWB/WB(a) in the wing back slot. Or a defensive winger in the midfield slot?

The former.Providing you have an even more attacking minded player in front of him.The roles on the wings are general interchangeable.Support and Attack or Attack and Support.

The position the players have in the tactic screen represents their position in the defensive process. So, for the wing backs you have players that, when the opposition has the ball, they will position themselves in line with the DM. For the defensive wingers they will be defending a bit further.

What makes a more adventurous/aggressive player is the role they have, so undoubtly the CWB will be more attacking than a DW.

For this, click on the first player you want to 'mark'. His name will appear. Now hold CTRL while clicking more players. They will all stay 'marked'. I do this at times with my entire team. Just makes it easier to see who's doing what.

Where should I hold CTRL ? On Formation tabs?