Quickfire Questions and Answers Thread (Tactic and Training Questions Only)

• Replies 17.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wide Playmaker and Raumdeuter - Does it matter what footed they are or would it be better having right footer if they are on the right side or visa-verse

For a wide playmaker, probably the opposite foot is more important. For a Raumdeuter - can see benefits for either.

What do the side line team talks do? If I tell my team to tighten up do they change anything tactically? Every time I tell them something the bar under says: "Making tactical changed". But what does it change?

It's more of a mental thing, not causing an actual tactical change.

What exactly does the game consider a mistake? On the analysis tab I mean - I'm watching some of them and I'm not understanding at all what's going on that could be considered a mistake. Sometimes the player isn't even anywhere near the ball or involved in the play.

It could be failure to make a challenge, a missed interception, a turnover of possession in a dangerous session.

If I have the player instruction "Cross Aim to Target Man" ticked, but I don't actually have a Target Man, will they assume that the lone CF/A is the target and direct crosses to him or will it have no effect whatsoever? Would "Cross Aim Centre" be more effective?

If I have the player instruction "Cross Aim to Target Man" ticked, but I don't actually have a Target Man, will they assume that the lone CF/A is the target and direct crosses to him or will it have no effect whatsoever? Would "Cross Aim Centre" be more effective?

It only works if he's a target man.

Does a lack of team cohesion cause players to act sellfish (or just dont see the other player unmarked) in the opp box?

or is it purely a teamwork rating matter?

Teach cohesion is how well they work with others.

When a centreback has "gets forward whenever possible" PPM, what does it mean exactly? What will his behaviour be?

I would guess, in an attack situation, if he sees the space he may attack it. I would expect that would happen in a more fluid system, with space to attack, and the freedom to do it.

Does a lack of team cohesion cause players to act sellfish (or just dont see the other player unmarked) in the opp box?

or is it purely a teamwork rating matter?

Compare play at the beginning of the first season with later on. You should see a difference between passes going astray and losing easy possession evolve into better passing and keeping possession.

My Roma team are conceding over a goal a game at the moment from corners, almost 2 a game from all set pieces combined. I have my defensive settings pretty solid with 4 zonal marking, 2 on posts and the rest bar one back and defending but the goals keep on coming, and my season is unraveling at the eleventh hour. Ive saw a few other people complaining about similar issues but have yet to see a definitive reply. Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this?

My Roma team are conceding over a goal a game at the moment from corners, almost 2 a game from all set pieces combined. I have my defensive settings pretty solid with 4 zonal marking, 2 on posts and the rest bar one back and defending but the goals keep on coming, and my season is unraveling at the eleventh hour. Ive saw a few other people complaining about similar issues but have yet to see a definitive reply. Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this?

It really depends on what sort of goals you are giving up as to what the problem might be. Is there a pattern to it that you have noticed?

I am pretty sure it isn't an FM issue because while some are having problems others aren't. I don't have the problem. I have fullbacks marking the posts, my 2 CBs, marking tall players, 3 players zonal marking the box, 1 on edge of area, and 2 back. I concede now and then as does everyone, but it's not a problem. Your setup sounds similar.

the majority are from crosses to the near post, though there has been concessions from other balls "into the mixer", as well as a couple of quite calamitous examples of Liverpool-esque defensive errors.

Tbh honest my defence are also conceding a slew of late goals from comfortable, winning positions that are costing us 3 points time and again. No defensive set up seems to be comfortable and I am struggling to identify what exactly is going wrong. I am very conservative in my player set up, making sure my roles are defensively complementary and solid, and I switch formations between 4-3-3 and 4-2-3-1 depending on how defensively I expect my opponents to set up.

I stay away from Opponent Instructions based on Cleon's advice, except for showing fullbacks or wingbacks onto their weaker feet. Frustratingly though a few recent games have seen opposition wing-backs get the freedom of the park to pick out easy crosses for tap-ins late on, despite me having the problem flank both stacked with a defensive minded full-back, as well as having the inside forward (or even wide-midfielder of we go to 4-1-4-1) man marking him using Player Instructions.

There are a few issues that may be contributing such as:

1. Defenders are not really that good. (Leo Castan is our best central defender and he is, quite frankly, brutal in FM15!)

2. All my defensively minded midfielders except De Rossi have problematic PPMs that could potentially lead to them getting caught out of position.

3. Poor goalkeepers. Morgan De Sanctis is still our best keeper at 38, but as bad as we are with him, every time he is dropped things get even worse.

4. De Sanctis and Maicon are out of contract in a couple of months having refused cut-price offers, and their performances have become noticeably worse during that time.

5. Our team has alot of old, old men.

6. We do not play a particularly strenuous, high tempo game, but the players are all finding themselves tired (70-75 fitness) around the 70min mark. I even set team training to low, but even this has failed to curb this problem.

So much stress. I have a new found sympathy for Sam Allardyce :D

Playing a 4-1-2-3DM as its known in the game on either standard or control. Occasionally go 4-2-3-1 if I feel a team is playing defensive and I want to get either a Shadow Striker or Treq at ACM involved. There was one game in particular against Inter where we were 5-0 down at half time - the movement of their two forwards and surging overlaps of their wingbacks left my defensive totally bamboozled. FAKE EDIT: I just went back and studied the game there and it seems that I didnt change my centre-back partnership from stopper/cover over to def/def to deal with the opposition striking duo (though I was relatively certain that I did :-/ but still have no idea how/if I didnt change it well before half time), but at least that explains that anomaly.

The match that really started the downward spiral of defensive ineptitude was throwing away a 3-0 HT lead away at Lazio - they switched to a 3-4-1-2 and their wingbacks ran amok. Im relatively certain I changed the stopper/cover partnership to def/def at HT to combat this (is there a way to check this?), but even when I went 4-1-4-1 they continued to overlap and find space. It was infuriating.

The match that really started the downward spiral of defensive ineptitude was throwing away a 3-0 HT lead away at Lazio - they switched to a 3-4-1-2 and their wingbacks ran amok. Im relatively certain I changed the stopper/cover partnership to def/def at HT to combat this (is there a way to check this?), but even when I went 4-1-4-1 they continued to overlap and find space. It was infuriating.

To overcome a 3 defenders formation, you can try using the overlap and play wider shout to create 2 vs 1 on the flanks.

I wasnt looking to attack at this point. I was 3-0 then 4-2 up with 10mins left and Lazio scored TWICE in the 80th minute. At that stage I'd went 4-1-4-1 defend, and had my left winger man-marking the wingback (though it was frekkin Gervinho, the lazy sod). Im uploading the two goals to youtube, can anyone inform me how to link them onto this forum? Thanks.

This video starts a little late, not doing justice to Gervinho's total lack of awareness as to where his man is but you can still see the massive gap he exploits.

The second goal starts just after the passage of play that I wanted to identify so I'll not link it, but it's basically very similar to the above one, where Konko finds half an acre out on the flank.

First competitive game of the new season and we win 4-3 away at Sporting Lisbon. Conceded a wonder goal to Diego Capel who cuts inside, round two defenders and places one in the corner while the other two goals were described as both a "fluke" and a "freak" respectively in the post match summary.

This is surely, SURELY some kind of glitch/bug, when everytime I play a team considered to be of similar level I am powerless to stop them scoring once they go a couple of goals behind? Im not saying this as some frustrated noob, as Im sure you can see by the date I joined the forums I have many years of top flight experience :D but this has me completely baffled.

To overcome a 3 defenders formation, you can try using the overlap and play wider shout to create 2 vs 1 on the flanks.

Good shout here Vasili- I just played a match against a 3-5-2, and did just that except instead of play wider I used the exploit the flanks shout.

What's more important for a defender? Anticipation or tackling? Is it important to be able to read the game better or being able to win the ball back better? Or are they both equally important?

All else being equal, I think I would take the higher anticipation man. Even better is positioning, but I am a real fan of the mental attributes. The way I see it, the better the a player reads the game and reacts, the easier it is for him to respond; if it isn't with a tackle, he can still disrupt the play.

What attributes would you guys say are most important for pressing? I'm trying to build a tactic with high pressing and so looking for players suitable for it. I'm thinking aggression, determination, work rate, positioning, stamina...? The way I see it, I don't necessarily need good tacklers, just players with the desire and physical ability to put pressure on the opposition to force them to make a decision quickly and hopefully rashly.

Also, a slightly off-topic question perhaps but is anyone (particularly mods) aware of that 'guide to football manager' site and do you know how reliable/accurate the info on there is? I go there occasionally when I'm not sure what a certain instruction/role or whatever does but I have no idea if it's right/wrong (obviously a lot about this game is open to interpretation/opinion)

The best centre-back partnership are usually a combination of both. Think Ferdinand (cover) & Vidic (stopper), Carragher (stopper) & Hyypia (cover), Puyol (stopper) & Pique (cover). Classic pairings include Baresi (cover) & Costacurta (stopper) or Bould (stopper) & Adams (cover), or for 3cb systems think Italy '82 with Scirea (Sweeper) Collovati (stopper) and Gentile (hatchet man :D )

You dont really have to use specific cover and stopper duties, as the mental attributes tend to come into play all by themselves when you have the correct personnel.

What attributes would you guys say are most important for pressing? I'm trying to build a tactic with high pressing and so looking for players suitable for it. I'm thinking aggression, determination, work rate, positioning, stamina...? The way I see it, I don't necessarily need good tacklers, just players with the desire and physical ability to put pressure on the opposition to force them to make a decision quickly and hopefully rashly.

Also, a slightly off-topic question perhaps but is anyone (particularly mods) aware of that 'guide to football manager' site and do you know how reliable/accurate the info on there is? I go there occasionally when I'm not sure what a certain instruction/role or whatever does but I have no idea if it's right/wrong (obviously a lot about this game is open to interpretation/opinion)

You've nailed the desired attributes for pressing quite well there.

As for the website, has plenty of useful bits of information on there. I know not everyone is a fan, but I think it's fairly useful.

The best centre-back partnership are usually a combination of both. Think Ferdinand (cover) & Vidic (stopper), Carragher (stopper) & Hyypia (cover), Puyol (stopper) & Pique (cover). Classic pairings include Baresi (cover) & Costacurta (stopper) or Bould (stopper) & Adams (cover), or for 3cb systems think Italy '82 with Scirea (Sweeper) Collovati (stopper) and Gentile (hatchet man :D )

You dont really have to use specific cover and stopper duties, as the mental attributes tend to come into play all by themselves when you have the correct personnel.

I use Koscielny & Mertesacker on Defend-Defend duties, but I like the fact that their attributes and PPM's come into play well here. I see Koscielny often step up to win the ball, and Mertesacker drop off and making the well timed tackle.

As opposed to real life, where Koscielny is always injured and Mertesaker jumps out of the way of crosses :D

The one thing Ive noticed recently is that an already aggressive defender with a stopper duty behaves like an absolute maniac, often charging past the anchor man in an attempt to win the ball early. I suppose in real life this kind of all-action approach would quickly make him a crowd favourite, but in FM it just takes a little half step from a tricky Attacking Midfielder to go by him and slot a nicely weighted through-ball into the vacated space for the opposing striker to run on to.

I would also think about acceleration- you want them to get where they are going as fast as they can, and anticipation- you want them reading the play and reacting quickly. Add those to your already excellent list and you have the perfect pressing machine (and one hard to find too, perhaps??) :)

When defending a one goal lead do you do both defensive mentality and drop deeper defensive line

I do neither :brock:

It entirely depends, but if the AI is going all out to secure a draw late on, then the last thing I'd want to do is sit deep, hit the ball long and invite wave after wave of attack.

I do neither :brock:

It entirely depends, but if the AI is going all out to secure a draw late on, then the last thing I'd want to do is sit deep, hit the ball long and invite wave after wave of attack.

This x2

I tend to have a decent compact shape defensively, so I actually do tend to sit more compact. I try and keep the ball a bit more, and I always want an outlet of some kind, because otherwise you have those endless waves RTHerringbone described.

My usual changes are: Monreal on the left wing as a Defensive Winger (with Gibbs behind), or vice versa. Flamini on in midfield to pair with Arteta (more conservative midfield pair), changing striker to a Defensive Forward.

It appears to me that most tactics include a DM. Is the general advice to include a DM for a successful tactic?

Also, how do you score from corners..? I can have like 15 corners in a game without scoring. My opponents don't score from corners either though, so at least I'm not going all "this game is unfair" or anything. :)

It appears to me that most tactics include a DM. Is the general advice to include a DM for a successful tactic?

Also, how do you score from corners..? I can have like 15 corners in a game without scoring. My opponents don't score from corners either though, so at least I'm not going all "this game is unfair" or anything. :)

You don't have to use a DMC no but if you don't then you have to accept you might struggle against sides who use 1 or more AMC's or strikers who drop off the front as you'll not be picking them up or have a player who is positioned well enough to always pick the man up. It's the same in real life, nearly all top teams use a DMC of some kind.

When playing with a Raumdeuter or with an AP (A) in the AMRL positions, have people found them to be better on their weaker sides or stronger sides? For example, it's generally accepted that it's wise to play a right footed Winger on the right, and a right footed Inside Forward on the left. I have a feeling that the AP follows the IF and the RMD follows the W...

Often the quicker one is the better "cover" because it often means he is in a foot race with the forward. That is not to say mobility is necessary though. For example, at Arsenal I have Per Mertesacker & Laurent Koscielny. Mertesacker is slow, and not aggressive, but his positioning and intelligence is outstanding - so he can play the cover role because his intelligence keeps him a step ahead, while Koscielny, despite being more mobile, is more aggressive and can quickly close the space down in front of him. Add to that Koscielny's fantastic tackling rating and you have a lethal stopper-cover type pairing.

I'm currently using a 4-1-4-1 high pressing tactic with Newcastkw which appears to be working. What I would like to develop is my ability to change things to combat the opposition.

Is it best when playing a 4-4-2 to play wider and exploit middle?

Is it a good idea when play a 4-3-3 with 2x AM's to play narrow and exploit flanks?

I'm currently using a 4-1-4-1 high pressing tactic with Newcastkw which appears to be working. What I would like to develop is my ability to change things to combat the opposition.

Is it best when playing a 4-4-2 to play wider and exploit middle?

Is it a good idea when play a 4-3-3 with 2x AM's to play narrow and exploit flanks?

I can't picture the 4-3-3 you describe, but that is essentially the same approach to Team Instructions as I took using a 4-1-4-1 with Southampton, and it was very effective.

You know the 4-1-2-2-1 with an AMR and AML.

Yes I remember reading it somewhere must of been your blog.

Now I get it. Yep, both those formations suit the approach you said.

Against a 4-4-2, you have a numerical advantage with 3 central midfielders against 2, so Play Wider stretches play and Exploit The Middle will focus play through that area.

Against the 4-1-2-2-1, you have the same number of central players (you might even want to push your DM up to MC) so Play Narrower tightens that area and you know that you can play passes behind their AML/R, so Exploit The Flanks targets those areas.

Here's my 'stupid' question - has anybody gone with a tactic with two Defensive Forwards on defend duty?

I stumbled across it by accident with my lower league team. During a close season after a couple of ins and outs, my assistant suggested the best formation would be a 4-3-3DM, so I juggled what I had to try it out. With my best three strikers I have a target man (a) flanked by Defensive Forwards (d) on both sides. They don't seem very defensive to me; rather they act like Inside Forwards. Still early days and I'm monitoring it to see if there's a gap between midfield and attack but so far it's looking surprisingly good.

How to keep the players match fit in English leagues when there is 46 matches. Do you use rest days? When tactic familiarity is full then where to put the workload?

My injury rate is quite low. I use rest days when players needs to play twice in a week, and pay attention to extended leave (a la Sterling!).

I keep general training on Balanced Low', match prep on the lowest setting or even zero once tactic familiarity is full, only using mach prep in cup matches against higher league opposition (usually defensive positioning on max). My training focuses on Individual training (mixture of roles and skills) and PPMs. Indiv training is on average for regular first teamers and heavy for everyone else except low for the odd warhorse with failing limbs.

Here's my 'stupid' question - has anybody gone with a tactic with two Defensive Forwards on defend duty?

I stumbled across it by accident with my lower league team. During a close season after a couple of ins and outs, my assistant suggested the best formation would be a 4-3-3DM, so I juggled what I had to try it out. With my best three strikers I have a target man (a) flanked by Defensive Forwards (d) on both sides. They don't seem very defensive to me; rather they act like Inside Forwards. Still early days and I'm monitoring it to see if there's a gap between midfield and attack but so far it's looking surprisingly good.

I've used one, but never two. I was using one last night, as a matter of fact, and like you I didn't find him offensively passive. I used him on both defend and support, and he played somewhere around where I had a DLF. I did it to pressure a DM and it worked fine, and he got forward and a scored a goal. As long as they are getting into the box and scoring then why not? :D