Quickfire Questions and Answers Thread (Tactic and Training Questions Only)

On 15/12/2018 at 10:48, Hunter T said:

since i m kinda tired/bored to watch almost all the crosses from my WBs (i play a 3-5-2) being blocked by one way or another by the opposition defenders, i was wondering if i could use ''underalp'' to reduce the number of crosses  by providing to my WBs the option of a short pass to the nearest MC (in a mezzala, btb,carrilero role probably?)

Is this making any sense?

Guys, anyone?

Please?

• Replies 17.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

13 hours ago, Joey Numbaz said:

I've been going with the Physio recommendations. I have a view set up to show the whole team with training intensity and physio recommendation. But for some reason, FM doesn't have functionality to let us mass edit those so I have to click them one at a time when the physio recommendation changes. I check for this every day, which is a micro-management pain, but it is what it is.

I wish there was a button to either "follow physio" or the ability to highlight 15 guys and change them all at once like we can do with other things like assigning players to the U23s or something.

The physio recommendations seem to take a lot more into account than just the player's condition %, so I don't think being able to set by that is as good at preventing injury.

I got myself a sports scientist and now check the medical centre every week.

1 hour ago, Hunter T said:

Guys, anyone?

Please?

Use Underlap instructs your full/wing back to underlap wingers, not midfielders.  It also increases your full/wingback's mentality a little, so it'll make them a bit more likely to get forward.

• SI Staff
17 hours ago, Joey Numbaz said:

FM doesn't have functionality to let us mass edit those so I have to click them one at a time

We've noted this internally for improvement in the future.

7 hours ago, Hunter T said:

ok, got it, thnak you. Back to the endless (blocked) crossing then...

If you so desperately want to reduce the crosses (attempts) from your fullbacks (plus make them more available for passes from/to more central midfielders), you can give them an inverted wing-back role. But bear in mind that it can unbalance your overall tactical structure, so be careful.

Can someone explain me clear difference between a fullback on attack and a wingback on attack, other than the natural position being further up the pitch for the wingback? Is there any offensive movement difference/"hardcoded" difference, or can the fullback on attack just be seen as a more defensive option than wingback on attack? 

Could someone be so kind and tell me, ignoring player instructions, what setting for a Inverted Wingback would be best if all I want him to do is to cut inside and sit centrally? Not bombing to far forward or running to much with the ball. Maybe acting as an auxiliary playmaker? Support sounds like it would maybe make the most sense but that setting on Fm17 pushed them too far forward. 

Ta ta

1 hour ago, allyc31 said:

Could someone be so kind and tell me, ignoring player instructions, what setting for a Inverted Wingback would be best if all I want him to do is to cut inside and sit centrally? Not bombing to far forward or running to much with the ball. Maybe acting as an auxiliary playmaker? Support sounds like it would maybe make the most sense but that setting on Fm17 pushed them too far forward. 

Ta ta

IWB (s) with Sits narrower, cuts inside, and hold position.

Should be about in line with a DM (s), but will sit much wider and get just a little bit further forward. Might need to tweak a bit, but that should be close.

The hold position should keep him back. If you need further back, then IWB (D), but I find that to be too far back most of the time.

Edited by VinceLombardi

11 hours ago, VinceLombardi said:

IWB (s) with Sits narrower, cuts inside, and hold position.

Should be about in line with a DM (s), but will sit much wider and get just a little bit further forward. Might need to tweak a bit, but that should be close.

The hold position should keep him back. If you need further back, then IWB (D), but I find that to be too far back most of the time.

Thanks my man

For coaching, a few things i've wondered:

As we know DDM + 2 is the basic filter (So Defending + Tactics for Defending Tactic)

1 - How much, if any does MM\Mental play an effect? It is something that I look for as a secondary, not sure i'f i'm going wrong on this

2 - In terms of youth coaches, would this be more relevant for them here - Does it affect intake (I know HOYD is key here, but do the other youth coaches have an impact as well)

Which tactic that you can download is the best as far as it goes for everyone?

I was playing with my tactic 4-4-2 I set it for Valencia and in first season I was 2nd in the league 3 points after Barcelona(97 points, they had 100), lost in CL final with Liverpool 5-4 in added time playing with 10 or 9 man because I had 1 or 2 red cards even when I said to tackle more easily.

In 2nd season I won Spanish league, lost with PSG in CL quarter-final 2-1 in first game (had Neto injured, Gaya, and Parejo, Coquelin suspended might be more don't remember now) and won Spanish Cup.

So basically it's random about CL it depends with who I play I am trying to set my team vs opponent weakness but you know the game sometimes you can loose with same tactic,same opponent same squad etc...

And I wonder if there is some tactic that work for everyone that I could train as 2nd tactic and use when I am loosing to check if it would be beneficial...

Unless the roles got changed significantly, yes. I used this combination in a 4321 alongside an AP(S) and they worked surprisingly well together. Despite being both attack-minded, they have a few good linkups as they occupy different spaces. This also results in both of them targeting different areas of the defense and making it hard to properly defend against both. If they control both, the other has space and chances. 

Is it just me or are support striker roles bugged in terms of PI's & mentality?

Any striker role on support duty has a 'Cautious' individual mentality on Balanced team mentality. Goes up to 'Balanced' on Positive team mentality. Not sure if it's actually a thing or just a UI bug?

Also, DLF-A doesn't have Get Further Forward PI? This one I'm not sure if it's a bug or intended. I do seem to recall the role having this PI in FM18, but I might be wrong.

10 horas atrás, Piperita disse:

Unless the roles got changed significantly, yes. I used this combination in a 4321 alongside an AP(S) and they worked surprisingly well together. Despite being both attack-minded, they have a few good linkups as they occupy different spaces. This also results in both of them targeting different areas of the defense and making it hard to properly defend against both. If they control both, the other has space and chances. 

Thanks.

I was talking about SS really behind the striker. Something like:

AMCL - AM(S)

AMC - SS

AMCR - AP(s)

ST - DLF(a)

first of all, apologies for still being with Fm 2018. I have been informed that team shape/fluidity/philosophy/whatever has been removed in fm2019.

Still, i dont understand what is wrong with my tactics. Been getting inspiration from Özil to the Arsenal Caixa thread, where he didn't use any Attack duties.

Somehow, when I apply this ideology to my own tactics, my team dont get possession, no shots on goal, no nothing.

1125316418_veryfluid.thumb.jpg.c5f548dc6336304feaa8adc5fdba5e29.jpg

Is there something fundamentally wrong with this tactic.

Because in the mentality calculator it looks absolutely gorgeous:

calculator.thumb.jpg.a049f5c2c1df83cae085a44e98ffea64.jpg

Are my players just too poor to play beautiful possession football ? Should i switch to route one instead ?

14 minutes ago, axelmuller said:

first of all, apologies for still being with Fm 2018. I have been informed that team shape/fluidity/philosophy/whatever has been removed in fm2019.

Still, i dont understand what is wrong with my tactics. Been getting inspiration from Özil to the Arsenal Caixa thread, where he didn't use any Attack duties.

Somehow, when I apply this ideology to my own tactics, my team dont get possession, no shots on goal, no nothing.

1125316418_veryfluid.thumb.jpg.c5f548dc6336304feaa8adc5fdba5e29.jpg

Is there something fundamentally wrong with this tactic.

Because in the mentality calculator it looks absolutely gorgeous:

calculator.thumb.jpg.a049f5c2c1df83cae085a44e98ffea64.jpg

Are my players just too poor to play beautiful possession football ? Should i switch to route one instead ?

Have a think about how Control mentality, Very Fluid Team Shape, Retain Possession and Pass into Space are all combining.

I want to ask everyone - do u use different tactic on away games? I see that I draw or loose more games on away matches and it is not a problem for league since I won in 2nd season league having a lot more points than a.madrid who was second, but in CL it matters a lot because you can be knock out...

2 hours ago, herne79 said:

Have a think about how Control mentality, Very Fluid Team Shape, Retain Possession and Pass into Space are all combining.

ok lets take a look.

Control mentality. Proactive football rather than reactive. Support Duties used to not being overly aggressive and keep the balance.

Very fluid. Template for talented players to play sexy football.

Retain possession - What it says. To keep the ball. https://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/nov/05/pep-guardiola-100-percent-possession-bayern-munich

Pass into space - To encourage players to pass into open spaces. Something like old school Wenger "pass and move" philosophy.

Also what I don't understand is, when computer plays 442 against my 433, computer teams keep more possession.

If I play 442 vs computer 433, it's always the other way round. like it should be, also in real life

25 minutes ago, axelmuller said:

Control mentality. Proactive football rather than reactive. Support Duties used to not being overly aggressive and keep the balance.

Pretty much.

25 minutes ago, axelmuller said:

Very fluid. Template for talented players to play sexy football.

Adjusts player mentality and increases creative freedom.

26 minutes ago, axelmuller said:

Reduces tempo and risky passes (aka through balls); shortens passing length.

27 minutes ago, axelmuller said:

Pass into space - To encourage players to pass into open spaces. Something like old school Wenger "pass and move" philosophy.

Increases through balls.

Remember - I asked how does it all combine, not what each thing individually does.  And then combine it all with your chosen roles and duties.  Who is actually attacking?  And how?

Have a quick read of this, check the differences :).

14 minutes ago, herne79 said:

Have a quick read of this, check the differences :).

well thats a great one, have read it many times before. the thing is, I have a clear idea in my mind of how I like my teams to play, but can't translate it to FM terms. it's quite similar to that but not really . also after reading Özil's achievements with Very Fluid, i've become kind of obsessed with that kind of football.

maybe i should start with flexible standard and see what happens.

Does it matter if my assistant have training style preffered as psychical, physical, general etc? will he set the training plan according to this? for example physiacl more pace, accelleration, stamina etc? I am adding training with pace etc but keep dropping my stats at players aged like 24 etc... ;/ I changed assistant manager for better the previous one had general training preffered, this new one have psychical...

• SI Staff
On 24/12/2018 at 23:07, LukasZ_VCF said:

Does it matter if my assistant have training style preffered as psychical, physical, general etc? will he set the training plan according to this? for example physiacl more pace, accelleration, stamina etc? I am adding training with pace etc but keep dropping my stats at players aged like 24 etc... ;/ I changed assistant manager for better the previous one had general training preffered, this new one have psychical...

Yes the AM's style influences his choices.

Just now, Seb Wassell said:

Yes the AM's style influences his choices.

So if I will have this one which preffers fitness he will make more pace and acceleration training ? how much of a difference is there? and which one is the best General then because he will train everything? not sure if it's up to AM style or just they were loosing pace and acceleration from the start of the game slowly and now they dropped 1 point...

1745626335_Screenshot2018-12-27at02_06_33.thumb.png.4eefcc537a28896d55707b4330833701.png

When I try to get this guy to learn a ppm, some of the movement ones aren't available - for example Gets Into Opposition Area. As in, the option to ask to train it doesn't show up. Is there any reason for this, i.e. only certain natural positions can even attempt to learn it? Or is it a bug?

Is it worth doing individual position training for a player even if I am not trying to switch their position/role/duty?

For example, Anthony Martial is natural at AML-inside forward-attack and that is where I play him as well, so is it worth selecting individual training for the position AML-inside forward-attack for him (to reinforce the attributes needed for the role) or is there no point? 

Thanks.

• SI Staff
On 27/12/2018 at 08:32, frank_olaf said:

Is it worth doing individual position training for a player even if I am not trying to switch their position/role/duty?

For example, Anthony Martial is natural at AML-inside forward-attack and that is where I play him as well, so is it worth selecting individual training for the position AML-inside forward-attack for him (to reinforce the attributes needed for the role) or is there no point? 

Thanks.

In this case you are effectively assigning him some extra training (will increase his training workload) where he works on the attributes associated with that role. If that is what you are after, then yes.

How do I know what role to use for my players that are not just the standard roles? Like when would I choose roaming playmaker or a Raumdeuter ect.? Every tactic I make is just the standard Inside Forward or Wingers, AP/DLP/DM/BBM for my midfield and AF/CF/DLF for attackers. 

When my assistant says a player won't develop beyond accomplished in a position, is this solely about the training (and thus he can become a natural through playing the position) or is this a final hard cap, meaning I should just stop? 

-----------

On 03/01/2019 at 13:20, Elitee said:

How do I know what role to use for my players that are not just the standard roles? Like when would I choose roaming playmaker or a Raumdeuter ect.? Every tactic I make is just the standard Inside Forward or Wingers, AP/DLP/DM/BBM for my midfield and AF/CF/DLF for attackers. 

Boring answer: Learn what a position does and how players in them act. Then use them when they fit your general idea of play. 

Even more boring answer: If you have a player that can play an unusual role well, just use it and see. I would never have used a Mezzala if it were not one of my Team Leader's main position. Similarly Wide Playmakers. Sometimes your teams force you to experiment and you will learn from it for later games. 

1 hour ago, Piperita said:

When my assistant says a player won't develop beyond accomplished in a position, is this solely about the training (and thus he can become a natural through playing the position) or is this a final hard cap, meaning I should just stop? 

Some players never become natural in a new position. It is related to their adaptability attribute (only visible via the Editor). So if the Ass Man believes the player will only be accomplished, you should probably trust his judgement.

17 hours ago, kingjericho said:

Some players never become natural in a new position. It is related to their adaptability attribute (only visible via the Editor). So if the Ass Man believes the player will only be accomplished, you should probably trust his judgement.

That's 'versatility' but otherwise your point stands.

I guess in that case the old beta database was pretty mixed up. The players in questions are now a 22 year old with Versatility 18 and a 20 year old with Versatility 16.

But in the newer version those players are already natural where I want them and they train 'backwards' as I expected them to. So I guess it all was just some early weirdness. 

I just got promoted to Serie B and have been conceding an absurd amount of goals from free kicks. I think in general, both direct and indirect, free kicks went from impossible to score on to now a bit overpowered, but in this case I specifically mean the ones that are crossed into the box. Am I doing something egregiously wrong here or is it just a matter of Serie B being a more brute force set piece type of league? image.thumb.png.341b93ca342f4ad7aeb3fee9a5bcabf2.png

In FM19  should I make tactic balanced with using all sectors of the pitch left/middle/right or should I focus on one for example like playing LEFT side (because I have fast LB and LM Gaya-Guedes and can put fast Striker Rodrigo or Origi on left side) to overload opponent?

I am playing 4-4-2 but I see I have problems for example with 4-2-3-1 wide I think if I remember correctly and I see as longer I play I have worse results with weak opponents...I am in 3rd season now...

1 hour ago, LukasZ_VCF said:

In FM19  should I make tactic balanced with using all sectors of the pitch left/middle/right or should I focus on one for example like playing LEFT side (because I have fast LB and LM Gaya-Guedes and can put fast Striker Rodrigo or Origi on left side) to overload opponent?

I am playing 4-4-2 but I see I have problems for example with 4-2-3-1 wide I think if I remember correctly and I see as longer I play I have worse results with weak opponents...I am in 3rd season now...

Pros and cons.  If you have particularly good players down one flank and believe you can use this to your advantage on a regular and consistent basis then you could look at focussing play there.  However, the key there is "regular and consistent" - if you struggle then your tactic may become one dimensional and suffer accordingly.  Perhaps a more balanced tactic which you can then adapt if you see a particular weakness in a specific opponent may give you better options.

What is the best way, to create a Tactic. 

If you have a Tactic in your head, how do you start building it. 

Create a new save, Save the Game right before a game, and then directly load the save after the game, to change the tactic, and then start the game again, to see the changes? 

Or is there another / simpler way to Create / tweak Tactics, without the waiting between league-games in an actual Save-Game?