Sports Interactive Community
wwfan

Stupid Questions Thread (Tactic and Training Questions Only)

2 minutes ago, Cleon said:

It doesn't have a lot, its just another part of it that's all. As for the question, it really depends on his other hidden attributes. I personally favour resolute personality over driven but it really depends what type of player personalities you want to develop and bring through at the club.

Thanks for the lightning quick response Cleon. :)

I was going by Rashidi's article about determination where he rated it to a great degree. I am mainly building a professional/resolute squad though so I may just go through with the tutoring. 

I don't use the editor so I have no idea about the hidden attributes.

Thanks again. 

Edited by CamillePunk

1 minute ago, CamillePunk said:

I was going by Rashidi's article about determination where he rated it to a great degree. I am mainly building a professional/resolute squad though so I may just go through with the tutoring. 

Thanks again. 

I think people all have their personal bias in that, I like high determination too... it's just a mentality I'd want for my players.  Resolute players are a good mix of professionalism and determination and I like my players to score well in that category too.

Keep an eye out for training reports for players because it is still possible that some may have a "casual approach to training" which would indicate that they probably have low ambition.  That said, it's a long game especially if you're dealing with them as  16-18 year olds.  You'll have probably 7-10 years of solid development out of them and them growing a smidge slower may not be that big of an issue.

5 minutes ago, CamillePunk said:

Thanks again. 

Exactly what Alan says above. Rashidi's is just describing his preferred method really and explaining why he favours a very high determination rating.

Edit: my bad, got it sorted now, 20 year olds count as "over 20" in some cases

I have an odd problem, for some reason my  u20's manager doesn't play any first team players i make available for the u20's.

I'm playing in Serie B in Italy and the rules state that one over 20 player can play in the reserves so it should work, i have seen other clubs do it aswell. I tried everything, sack the u20 manager, rest all u20 players (they play anyway), move all u20 players to senior team (the manager will use grey players), move first team player directly into the u20's etc.... nothing.

The only thing that probably works is taking control of the reserves for a match but i'm already busy enough with the first team. :rolleyes:

Edited by hxp
delete if you want

On 17/09/2017 at 06:43, CamillePunk said:

Here's a youth development question. I missed the update that determination (the attribute,) has a lot to do with players reaching the potential so I'm still experimenting. 

I have two players. Andrew Robertson, 25 who has a Resolute personality and 15 determination, and Trent Alexander-Arnolid, a Driven player with 18 Determination. Would having Roberton tutor TAA result in a positive, neutral, or negligible effect?  

While this is a specific example I'm curious about the balance of positive personalities and determination as a whole in player development. 

Determination = Ambition = Professionalism

The TI tighter marking tells players to mark a player closely in defensive situations. Your team still does zonal marking, but in defensive situations they will sit a bit more tightly on a player who enters their zone. Its useful against sides you don't want to give too much time on the ball. The downside of using this instruction is when you opt to use it against a team that has better acceleration than your players. If your players are slower than the opposition player, getting them to mark tight could see them get turned too easily. 

It really will depend on the formation you are playing against and the kind of players you have at your disposal.  You also have the option to use Tight marking from opposition instructions as well. Players like Eden Hazard and Gareth Bale, are notoriously difficult to tight mark, their acceleration and good balance and agility allow them to beat players on the turn. So use this TI carefully.

1. Do you change formation every game to the formation your opponents are vulnerable to facing 

2. Why do opposition players run straight past your full backs but your wingers get tackled every time 

3. Do you change your team instructions as soon as you concede? 

4. Why does every striker I buy that scores loads of goals for other teams not score any for me 

5. Do you only use target man for the long ball game? 

6. Why do some players have high stats but are useless when you play them 

7. Can I play a player who is unhappy? 

8. How do you make a player happy again? 

9. Can you use reserve youngsters in your first team that are good prospects but have low stats? 

10. Why do you hardly ever score from a corner? 

11. Why is the game so complicated? It takes away the enjoyment of the game 

I think that will do for now 

2 hours ago, BigLarusso said:

1. Do you change formation every game to the formation your opponents are vulnerable to facing 

2. Why do opposition players run straight past your full backs but your wingers get tackled every time 

3. Do you change your team instructions as soon as you concede? 

4. Why does every striker I buy that scores loads of goals for other teams not score any for me 

5. Do you only use target man for the long ball game? 

7. Can I play a player who is unhappy? 

8. How do you make a player happy again? 

9. Can you use reserve youngsters in your first team that are good prospects but have low stats? 

10. Why do you hardly ever score from a corner? 

11. Why is the game so complicated? It takes away the enjoyment of the game 

I think that will do for now 

1. No

2. Because either they are bad at what they are supposed to do or you may be playing the wrong mentality/defensive line

3. No

4. He doesn't like you ?

5. Never used a target man, I like options.

6. Never happens to me, it must be you.

7. Of course, unless you are unhappy, then may I suggest a good alternative monitor?

8. Stroke him, gently. Play him a lot, and make sure he's well compensated for the effort.

9. Why not? I do it all the time, I usually make them feel the raw power of expectations in meaningless league cup matches.

10. You're speaking for yourself I assume?  I actually managed a hat trick of goals from a corner :-) 

11. It isn't complicated, simple solution. Create a tactic, hire Bobby Mimms. Ask him to manage your side. He will choose default roles and a default formation with minimal TIs. The only thing that will screw him over is if you are horrendous at buying players. Its the easiest mode to play. Does it require you to tweak no. It does give me too much time on the coffee machine. It is the easiest mode in the game. Mimms is my holiday man, I always pick him for long term career saves when I am more serious about my coffee than the game.

9 minutes ago, Rashidi said:

11. It isn't complicated, simple solution. Create a tactic, hire Bobby Mimms. Ask him to manage your side. He will choose default roles and a default formation with minimal TIs. The only thing that will screw him over is if you are horrendous at buying players. Its the easiest mode to play. Does it require you to tweak no. It does give me too much time on the coffee machine. It is the easiest mode in the game. Mimms is my holiday man, I always pick him for long term career saves when I am more serious about my coffee than the game.

@Rashidi you should see if you can get the real Bobby Mimms to do one of the manage England episodes or something similar for your Youtube channel :D

14 minutes ago, bowieinspace said:

@Rashidi you should see if you can get the real Bobby Mimms to do one of the manage England episodes or something similar for your Youtube channel :D

That would be so cool

7 hours ago, Rashidi said:

1. No

2. Because either they are bad at what they are supposed to do or you may be playing the wrong mentality/defensive line

3. No

4. He doesn't like you ?

5. Never used a target man, I like options.

6. Never happens to me, it must be you.

7. Of course, unless you are unhappy, then may I suggest a good alternative monitor?

8. Stroke him, gently. Play him a lot, and make sure he's well compensated for the effort.

9. Why not? I do it all the time, I usually make them feel the raw power of expectations in meaningless league cup matches.

10. You're speaking for yourself I assume?  I actually managed a hat trick of goals from a corner :-) 

Thanks buddy 

I play fm touch on my iPad and I have hired a 4 star assistant but I don’t have the option to put him in charge of the team I don’t think 

3 minutes ago, markus_aurelius said:

What's the whipped crosses for? I have never used these

From Lines and Diamonds, one of the guides pinned at the top of the forum : 

Whipped Crosses, Floated Crosses and Low Crosses instruct players to use specific techniques when crossing the ball. Whipped crosses are delivered at a high velocity. They are more difficult to defend against, but they are also far less accurate. They can be useful when you are just looking to create chaos in a crowded penalty area and have players who are good at attacking the second ball. Floated crosses are a good option if you have tall, powerful forwards, but they won’t present much trouble to tall defenders or a commanding goalkeeper. Low crosses are a good option if you have smaller, faster attackers, but they are unlikely to find their target if played into a crowded area.

11 hours ago, BigLarusso said:

Probably because they have low Consistency. This is a hidden attribute that is referred to in reports if it is either high or low.

Consistency effectively modifies CA (and thus attributes) on a per game basis. So a player with 20 Consistency will almost always play to their actual CA (best), whilst a player with 1 Consistency would only play to their CA (best) say 5% of the time.

27 minutes ago, samuelawachie said:

I've checked, but can't find the info I need. On FM 2014, in Match Preparation training, is the focus on "Team work" cumulative or not? I know that Tactics is cumulative, but is Team work also cumulative? @Cleon @Rashidi @Seb Wassell @Neil Brock

No, it is a one match boost to Teamwork and Blend.

50 minutes ago, samuelawachie said:

I've checked, but can't find the info I need. On FM 2014, in Match Preparation training, is the focus on "Team work" cumulative or not? I know that Tactics is cumulative, but is Team work also cumulative? @Cleon @Rashidi @Seb Wassell @Neil Brock

23 minutes ago, Seb Wassell said:

No, it is a one match boost to Teamwork and Blend.

Just to add, what do you mean "tactics is cumulative"?

Tactics (General Training focus) develops certain player attributes.

Tactics (Match Preparation) improves your team's knowledge of your defined tactic(s).

They are totally different things.

Hi, was thinking, is it true to some extent that most tactics (or actually should I say proper roles & duties combination) should work if the player attributes allow him to perform the role & duty properly? I'm asking this because back then I thought there's some magic formula for roles and duties permutations that I couldn't find and hence I couldn't create solid tactics, but  lately I think that most of those tactics were alright to say, just that I didn't have the required attributes in players performing those roles & duties.

Or is it wrong and actually player attributes matter a lot, but it's more important how you set up your system so player roles & duties can blend together perfectly?

1 hour ago, nightwalker22 said:

Hi, was thinking, is it true to some extent that most tactics (or actually should I say proper roles & duties combination) should work if the player attributes allow him to perform the role & duty properly? I'm asking this because back then I thought there's some magic formula for roles and duties permutations that I couldn't find and hence I couldn't create solid tactics, but  lately I think that most of those tactics were alright to say, just that I didn't have the required attributes in players performing those roles & duties.

Or is it wrong and actually player attributes matter a lot, but it's more important how you set up your system so player roles & duties can blend together perfectly?

It's not really one or the other- it's both. You have to have a good system with roles and duties, but it won't be worth spit if your players can't perform what you ask of them. Likewise, you can have great players and a terribly designed system that won't accomplish near as much as it should. If you had to choose, I would lean on the side of the better players because they can make more happen out of crap. You could stick world class players in a terrible system and they would still manage to play well. In your case, you may well have had good ideas but not the players to make them work. Here's how you can tell- load up FM touch with a top club and use your system. With elite players, you will be able to know whether your system works well or not.

Is it important when you select which specific Match Prep you want for a match? 

When you receive scout reports for your next match, there is the option to select the Match Prep you want for the next match. These reports are normally a few days before the game. Does it matter if you select the Match Prep then, or on the tactics selection screen on matchday? Is there more or less of a benefit to select earlier or later? Particularly if you have Match Prep % set at a higher level and it runs for 2-3 days of training? And what happens if Match Prep is set at the highest level (so there are 3 training days before the match set to Match Prep) and then on the matchday tactics screen you change the Match Prep right before the game? Where does the benefit go, the original Match/Prep area, or the newly selected one?

1 hour ago, Barf_Vader said:

Is it important when you select which specific Match Prep you want for a match? 

When you receive scout reports for your next match, there is the option to select the Match Prep you want for the next match. These reports are normally a few days before the game. Does it matter if you select the Match Prep then, or on the tactics selection screen on matchday? Is there more or less of a benefit to select earlier or later? Particularly if you have Match Prep % set at a higher level and it runs for 2-3 days of training? And what happens if Match Prep is set at the highest level (so there are 3 training days before the match set to Match Prep) and then on the matchday tactics screen you change the Match Prep right before the game? Where does the benefit go, the original Match/Prep area, or the newly selected one?

Only the last Match Prep focus selected has an impact.

More days of Match Prep training = quicker increase to Tactical Familiarity.

19 minutes ago, hxp said:

Hi all, i'm in my 2nd season right now playing in Serie B as ACR Messina. I choose this club because they have a nice stadium with a capacity of about 38k. Now for some reason i got a message in my inbox about "filling out" the capacity against a rival team but that capacity is only 6900. I know some leagues have regulations like not allow standing terraces but i don't think this is the case in Serie B. I can't find anything in the competitions tab about any stadium regulations.

Anyone know what the deal is here? I don't mind having a cap of 6900 in Serie B because i barely sell out anyway but when i get promoted to Serie A this will be a huge let down.

This question is better off asked in the General Discussion forum

Hi! 

Stupid question,  but if you want a player to learn/unlearn a ppm and the coach responds with something like: "I don't see him able to do that,  I recommend x move instead".

Does that mean that the player can never learn/unlearn that specific ppm? Or can I find another coach with for example higher level of discipline, and then the chance to learn the ppm will increase? 

1 hour ago, Mindtrick_42 said:

Hi! 

Stupid question,  but if you want a player to learn/unlearn a ppm and the coach responds with something like: "I don't see him able to do that,  I recommend x move instead".

Does that mean that the player can never learn/unlearn that specific ppm? Or can I find another coach with for example higher level of discipline, and then the chance to learn the ppm will increase? 

You don't have to listen to your coaches (you're the boss after all !) and they can be wrong.  However there's also a fairly good chance they could be right (depending on the quality of the coach) so you need to make a judgement call.  If the coach is good quality and is relevant to the Trait you want to learn / unlearn, he'll have a much better chance of being right than if you are talking to a poor quality coach who isn't relevant.

I'm afraid there's no straight answer to give because it's not a simple question of yes or no and there are no guarantees.

Are there any formations in particular that are suited to a fast transition style? 

Are there other factors to the success of positionally retraining a player besides playing time, training, and the hidden Versatility skill? I have a newgen winger that I've been trying to retrain to a new position since the start of the save (June). He is 17 (started as a 16 year old), has bags of potential, and has decent starting skills. But I use a narrow formation and since I already have a great rightback prospect, I figure he would make a reasonable support striker. So I had his training to be Striker from the start. He played matches as a striker, though the U18 managers put him in other positions at times. I did have him learn a PPM, which may have impacted his positional change process. But I'm now into January and found it odd he's still not rated at all to play Striker. So I looked.... Still at 1 for positional familiarity for Striker. So he hasn't gained anything at all almost 9 months. His Versatility is 12. I'm probably going to give up on using him as a striker and make him a backup rightback.... but the same thing might happen. Any particular reasons he wouldn't gain anything toward learning the new position? 

@Bigpapa42 He doesn't need to be natural at the position in order to play there. As long as you feel he has the attributes you want from your supporting striker, then use him as a support striker. Eventually his familiarity will go up, but don't worry about it to much :)

8 minutes ago, FMWolf said:

@Bigpapa42 He doesn't need to be natural at the position in order to play there. As long as you feel he has the attributes you want from your supporting striker, then use him as a support striker. Eventually his familiarity will go up, but don't worry about it to much :)

Yeah, that is typically would I would do. Just a slightly odd situation this time. He doesn't have ideal starting attributes for ANY position. He's also not good enough to feature regularly for the first team. So my hope was that he would he would gain a bit of positional familiarity, so the U18 manager would play him there instead of literally all over the pitch. I switched him to training as a rightback a few weeks ago in-game and his positional familiarity has gone from 1 to 2 without actually playing there. Strange that it didn't happen at striker but did already at rightback. I don't think his skills suit RB any better than support striker, really. 

23 minutes ago, jc577 said:

Can a fast transition style work with a big team?

Of course.  Which club you happen to pick is virtually irrelevant. 

It's having the right players and balancing the tactical system which is the important bit.  Are the players at the club capable of playing in such a manner?  Yes - set up the system.  No - compromise the system until you can bring in the players.

23 minutes ago, herne79 said:

Of course.  Which club you happen to pick is virtually irrelevant. 

It's having the right players and balancing the tactical system which is the important bit.  Are the players at the club capable of playing in such a manner?  Yes - set up the system.  No - compromise the system until you can bring in the players.

I see, thanks for clearing that up.

I thought it was hinged upon having space in-behind the opposition which is less likely when playing as a big team. 

Are top heavy systems particularly suited to this playing style? Or could it work in a 4-4-1-1 for example?

When do you use tighter marking TI/PI? When do you use it with close down more/much more? Pros and cons? 

Edited by Vali184

Hi.

As you guys know, there is 9 training categories but the board only allow me to have 7 coaches after i asked them to increase their number. I always use 1 coach for each category, so 2 categories now with no coach.

I'm sure this already happen to some of you, do you have any tip? Tks.

Edited by mikcheck

10 minutes ago, mikcheck said:

Hi.

As you guys know, there is 9 training categories but the board only allow me to have 7 coaches after i asked them to increase their number. I always use 1 coach for each category, so 2 categories now with no coach.

Give 2 of your coaches 2 categories each. I'm not sure what you're asking because the solution is obvious. There's not much else you can do - you don't have enough coaches to give them all only on category to focus on.

55 minutes ago, mikcheck said:

Hi.

43 minutes ago, HUNT3R said:

Give 2 of your coaches 2 categories each. I'm not sure what you're asking because the solution is obvious. There's not much else you can do - you don't have enough coaches to give them all only on category to focus on.

Just to add, 7 coaches, 9 categories.

You are not included in the coaches allowance, neither is your assistant manager.  So there's two more.  Also, if you are managing a club where your reserves share facilities with your senior squad then the reserves manager, ass. manager and all reserve team coaches can also be used to help train the senior squad.

Later in the season after struggling a lot with a 442 I changed to a 4141, trying to stop the losing streak. I won 4 games in a roll without conceding even once. That is good but I want my DLF (S) to be my finisher because his attributes are more like as a goalscorer than as a creator. What duty/role changes can I do so he becomes the main focus of my attacks without losing defence balance?

1.jpg

Edited by bosque

If you set your own scouting assignments do you need a Chief Scout? Is this role only cosmetic otherwise? Does it matter who you put there if you set your own assignments in terms of how he's rated? Does it matter if he's local to the country of your club?

How can I instruct my team to build up play from deeper positions? (I'm pretty sure this is wrong) but would using a deeper defensive line help?

4 hours ago, bosque said:

Later in the season after struggling a lot with a 442 I changed to a 4141, trying to stop the losing streak. I won 4 games in a roll without conceding even once. That is good but I want my DLF (S) to be my finisher because his attributes are more like as a goalscorer than as a creator. What duty/role changes can I do so he becomes the main focus of my attacks without losing defence balance?

1.jpg

If he's more of a finisher than a creator i'd suggest using a formation with an AM behind him so he can focus on scoring. 

i have a full back who has player traits Knocks Ball Past Opponent and stays back at all times, isn't that conflict with each other ?

34 minutes ago, roggiotis said:

i have a full back who has player traits Knocks Ball Past Opponent and stays back at all times, isn't that conflict with each other ?

Knocks Ball Past Opponent is what the player will do if he has the ball while the other is movement related, so they're completely separate things.

43 minutes ago, roggiotis said:

let's say e just won't have to use it very often :D especially if you leave him on D duty.

On 24/09/2017 at 19:35, Vali184 said:

When do you use tighter marking TI/PI? When do you use it with close down more/much more? Pros and cons? 

Tighter marking kicks in when defending set pieces and general defensive situations. It has no relationship with closing down so there are no pros or cons to combining these TIs. 

If i play one winger, is there anyway to get him to swap sides of the pitch during the game without another player there to swap? any work around or would i have to do it manually? 

Does the player trait "Gets forward whenever possible" actually have any effect on players playing at center back? For example David Luiz has that trait and in my save seems to behave in the same manner as a player without it playing at center back. 

Many thanks 

5 hours ago, gunnersguy said:

Does the player trait "Gets forward whenever possible" actually have any effect on players playing at center back? For example David Luiz has that trait and in my save seems to behave in the same manner as a player without it playing at center back. 

Many thanks 

No.