Quickfire Questions and Answers Thread (Tactic and Training Questions Only)

• Replies 17.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, mikcheck said:

Hello guys,

Can you please tell me your opinion on if these roles and duties are ok to work together within this tactic? Should the DMCR be a role who also goes forward like BWM (S) or a DM (S)?

Thanks!

sociedad.jpg

Best way to check is to load up a dummy save on FMT and try it out.  With your chosen mentality and roles/duties, your DLP at DMCR might have his work cut out on the right flank.

4 minutes ago, bosque said:

Where can I find a skin that shows me the AI roles and duties for FM Touch?

Try the skinning forum.

Are the default tactics any good? If I go with a default tactic and no TI's or PI's, will I have a chance to be successful? 

I realize I have no chance of creating a tactic, I win big one game and then get thrashed the next, I don't have a clue what works and what doesn't. So I'm thinking default might be a better idea.. If of course the devs at SI put something decent in the default tactics folder..? 

1 hour ago, Footix said:

Are the default tactics any good? If I go with a default tactic and no TI's or PI's, will I have a chance to be successful? 

I realize I have no chance of creating a tactic, I win big one game and then get thrashed the next, I don't have a clue what works and what doesn't. So I'm thinking default might be a better idea.. If of course the devs at SI put something decent in the default tactics folder..? 

Kind of hit and miss.  If you are managing matches, the default tactics don't really use any tactical settings and roles tend to be pretty generic.  On the other hand, if you have a decent assistant manager you could leave things up to him and just holiday through matches.

Alternatively head over to the Tactics Sharing centre and download a ready made tactic to use.  Stick with the well documented and tested ones.

17 minutes ago, Armistice said:

Anyone had any success with Spurs playing a 4-2-3-1? I swear it has to be one of the most frustrating saves ever. It makes me hate the game again.

I tend to avoid Spurs like the plague.

3 minutes ago, jc577 said:

Is it contradictory to use shorter passing when playing with wingers (the actual role) ?

No, why?

1 minute ago, herne79 said:

No, why?

I'm pretty sure i've read somewhere on the forum that to get the best out of wingers they need to be given the ball quickly so that they can cross before the defence gets settled, and shorter passing slows down tempo/decreases directness of attacks. 

15 minutes ago, jc577 said:

I'm pretty sure i've read somewhere on the forum that to get the best out of wingers they need to be given the ball quickly so that they can cross before the defence gets settled, and shorter passing slows down tempo/decreases directness of attacks. 

Wingers hitting early crosses might be useful if you have players positioned in order to take advantage of those early crosses.  If you want to get the ball quickly to a winger then that's a certain style of play so yeh lowering tempo may not help you with that specific style I agree.  But obviously your original question was much more generalised, so generally speaking it's not contradictory - you don't "need" to get the ball quickly to a winger unless that's how you want to play.

19 minutes ago, Armistice said:

Well it's understandable because you're a West Ham fan but really annoyed at how hard it is to make the 4-2-3-1 break stubborn defences.

AI Spurs kill me with their 4231.  They're my bugbear team (which really grinds my gears).  They tend to play with controlled aggression with some fantastic players that seem to enjoy playing against me :mad:.

With your 4231 it's pretty hard to offer advice without knowing how you are set up.  Start a thread.

13 minutes ago, herne79 said:

Wingers hitting early crosses might be useful if you have players positioned in order to take advantage of those early crosses.  If you want to get the ball quickly to a winger then that's a certain style of play so yeh lowering tempo may not help you with that specific style I agree.  But obviously your original question was much more generalised, so generally speaking it's not contradictory - you don't "need" to get the ball quickly to a winger unless that's how you want to play.

Thanks the clears things up :thup:

Is there any way to ensure wingers stay wide even when the ball enters the final third? In my tactic they're my only source of width so it can be fairly frustrating how they seem to come narrow very quickly in my build up play. Doesn't seem to effect me much results wise but I just don't like having my whole team within the width of the 18 yard box. The 'hugs line' ppm seems to have no effect unfortunately

Edited by 91427

9 minutes ago, 91427 said:

Is there any way to ensure wingers stay wide even when the ball enters the final third? In my tactic they're my only source of width so it can be fairly frustrating how they seem to come narrow very quickly in my build up play. Doesn't seem to effect me much results wise but I just don't like having my whole team within the width of the 18 yard box. The 'hugs line' ppm seems to have no effect unfortunately

How much "wide"?
You mean, even when the ball is in the opponent's half, you want them to not try to contribute at all, but stay out wide?

32 minutes ago, ilkork said:

How much "wide"?
You mean, even when the ball is in the opponent's half, you want them to not try to contribute at all, but stay out wide?

As wide as is possible basically. I do want them to contribute, my basic idea is that they can either pull the opposition defence wider which'll leave wider gaps between them or be in loads of space to put in crosses if the defence just stays narrow. I play with 2 strikers, a no. 10 and then two supporting cms behind them so the wingers just aren't needed in the box and cos I play without wing backs or full backs the play can all become a bit congested and narrow. I'd use CWB(A)s with look for overlap on but they track back more than I need

54 minutes ago, 91427 said:

As wide as is possible basically.

Well, despite the obvious "Play Much Wider" TI, "Hugs Line" PPM (you said no effect) and "Runs With Ball Down Right/Left" PPM, there are a couple of PPMs that, although contrasting to the winger's role, may help in your case:

Arrives Late In Opposition Area:
This is definition of this PPM (taken from this):
59e4070d2f4b0_ArrivesLate.thumb.PNG.3cb306797c1edff014dd5aaa8e759d14.PNG
So, I think it will basically make him stay out wider.

Stays Back At All Times:
Since your winger is an attacking player by default (so, higher up the pitch by default), this PI may kinda "force" him to "miss" entering the opponent's half, and as a result, stay wider.
This is the definition for this PPM (also taken from this):
59e40758a40d2_StaysBack.thumb.PNG.ff4db1a0d2d10335cf56ee2aec976679.PNG

As I said, these PPMs are contrasting for the winger's role, but in your case they might help. Personally, I've never used such PPMs for wingers, before you try anything, let's wait for more answers (and especially an answer from a mod).
Also, the "Cross from Byline" PI will cause your player to move the ball as high up the pitch as possible before crossing.
At last, I think that more structured shapes will cause your player to focus more on his individual mentality, rather than the team's. So, in combination with those 2 "weird" PPMs, it may also help.

Keep all these in mind.

Edited by ilkork

Just now, 91427 said:

Thanks for the help mate, I'll give all that at a try when I'm next at my computer

You are welcome.
But as I said, these PPM's are contrasting to the winger's role, but I think they might help in your case. Before you start with the PPM training, wait for an answer from a mod.

10 hours ago, Cleon said:

Stay back all times PPM only works on defensive players, so would have no impact on the winger.

Besides that, do you think that some of the rest will help in @91427's case? Like, for example, the "Arrives Late in Opposition Area"? I'm basically asking because I've never used it, but it sounds kinda logical to make the winger stay out wide, and not get involved much when the ball is in the opponent's penalty area.

14 hours ago, FMWolf said:

When playing against deep defensive teams, can going into structured+play wider help stretch the pitch vertically+horizontally to give you more room to play? Could a drop in mentality be complementary to this?

i have almost the same question; if someone parks the bus is it useful 2 lower the mentality 2 defensive/counter?

because i cant break trough with attack mentality (the tactic itself works quiet nicely normaly). 

23 minutes ago, Piaz88 said:

i have almost the same question; if someone parks the bus is it useful 2 lower the mentality 2 defensive/counter?

because i cant break trough with attack mentality (the tactic itself works quiet nicely normaly). 

Had this issue myself whilst playing a 4-4-1-1 on Attacking and fluid. Had all the ball, lots of shots (not necessarily on target) and played in their half as teams were sitting back but drew 0-0 a lot and conceded on the counter. Started using the tactic I had success with away from home which was a 4-4-2 on structured and standard mentality with two attacking wide men but variation through the middle of players dropping off or stretching teams and started having a lot more success and being more solid defensively. Went unbeaten at home all season (drew 2) and my away form dipped so trying to sort that now!

15 hours ago, FMWolf said:

When playing against deep defensive teams, can going into structured+play wider help stretch the pitch vertically+horizontally to give you more room to play? Could a drop in mentality be complementary to this?

It can work yes.  Will it always work?  Probably not because each team you play against will have their own unique way of playing so what works against one team may not work against someone else.

1 hour ago, Piaz88 said:

As above.

The thing with using the Attacking mentality against such teams is that they line up with solid banks of defenders.  So if all you do is ping the ball quickly to your forwards (which is what Attacking mentality essentially does) you're actually pinging the ball straight into the arms of the solid banks of defenders.  You're trying to sledgehammer through a wall rather than find ways around it.  Sometimes it will work and your sledgehammer will break through, but sometimes it won't.

1 hour ago, herne79 said:

It can work yes.  Will it always work?  Probably not because each team you play against will have their own unique way of playing so what works against one team may not work against someone else.

As above.

The thing with using the Attacking mentality against such teams is that they line up with solid banks of defenders.  So if all you do is ping the ball quickly to your forwards (which is what Attacking mentality essentially does) you're actually pinging the ball straight into the arms of the solid banks of defenders.  You're trying to sledgehammer through a wall rather than find ways around it.  Sometimes it will work and your sledgehammer will break through, but sometimes it won't.

I generally find slowing the tempo down combined with giving central players more creative freedom ie. playmaker roles (RPM is a personal favourite of mine) is helping me a lot now when encountering stubborn defensive teams. Two wingers to stretch the play with a RPM, pulling opposition defenders & midfielders away is giving me a lot more success.

4 minutes ago, Continum said:

Will a player described as a wonderkid in-game, if trained right, always develop into a world class player? 

Not always.  Training players is not guaranteed to work.

However you can give yourself a better chance of having players reach their potential by proper training, tutoring, match time, avoiding injuries and so on.

6 minutes ago, herne79 said:

Not always.  Training players is not guaranteed to work.

However you can give yourself a better chance of having players reach their potential by proper training, tutoring, match time, avoiding injuries and so on.

But when described as a wonderkid, they will always have a high potential? 

Just need some quick advice on my tactic; if you guys can spot some glaring holes in it.

--------------GKd---------------
-----CDd---CDd---CDd-----
-WBs--------------------WBs-
-------DLPs------CMd--------
-------AMa-------APs---------
-------------DLFa--------------

Mentality: Standard, Shape: Flexible

Team Instructions: Play out of Defense, Push higher up, Use offside trap, Higher Tempo, Prevent GK distribution
I'm looking to create a possession based tactic with penetration from the AMa. I'm one of the stronger teams in the league so most of teams will sit back and try to soak the pressure. I might drop higher tempo though if my actual possession looks quite low.

Personal Instructions:

• GK: roll it out to CD (possession based)
  • both WBs: dribble less, less risky passes (I feel they dribble a bit too much; I want them passing the ball)
  • CMd: pass it shorter, dribble less, less risky passes (I want him to turn the ball in to my DLPs or APs)
  • AMa: close down more, tackle harder (high block), move into channels 
  • APs: close down more, tackle harder
  • DLFa: close down more, tackle harder

Any suggestions on what you'd change to provide some more penetration?

On ‎10‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 06:54, Continum said:

But when described as a wonderkid, they will always have a high potential? 

I am going off what I remember from the past, so am willing to be corrected here, but I am pretty confident that the tag attaches when the player has a minimum high CA for his age. It doesn't mean a high potential necessarily- it could be an early bloomer player, for example which the game does model, but generally they will have a decently high potential.

1 hour ago, kopfan1977 said:

My turn for a stupid question.

Is it possible to convert my FM17 (FMC) tactic to be able to use it in full game mode?

If so, can someone please point me in the direction of how to do so. 

Thanks

Yes you can ,

first , from the FM17 touch save the tactic you use ( usually to tactics).

Exit FMTouch,

run FM17,

load the save ,then tactics-load-documents-sportsinteractive-FMTouch2017-tactics-(name of the tactic)-load 

1 hour ago, roggiotis said:

Yes you can ,

first , from the FM17 touch save the tactic you use ( usually to tactics).

Exit FMTouch,

run FM17,

load the save ,then tactics-load-documents-sportsinteractive-FMTouch2017-tactics-(name of the tactic)-load 

What does Concentration do exactly? I have seen it suggested that lower concentration causes the player to make more mistakes (they zone in and out a bit). I've also seen it suggested that low concentration causes more mistakes once they're tired (struggle to maintain focus over time). In the first situation, you know that putting the player in your team will cause the odd slip up during the game. In the second situation, this can be mitigated by subbing the player off once tired or just using him as a sub in the first place. Meaning that when managing substitutions you would be looking at Concentration along with Decisions when deciding who to withdraw.

43 minutes ago, Cal585 said:

What does Concentration do exactly? I have seen it suggested that lower concentration causes the player to make more mistakes (they zone in and out a bit). I've also seen it suggested that low concentration causes more mistakes once they're tired (struggle to maintain focus over time). In the first situation, you know that putting the player in your team will cause the odd slip up during the game. In the second situation, this can be mitigated by subbing the player off once tired or just using him as a sub in the first place. Meaning that when managing substitutions you would be looking at Concentration along with Decisions when deciding who to withdraw.

It is their ability to remain focused over time- the longer they play, the more likely they are to have lapses, but it isn't (as far as we know) connected directly to condition. 

31 minutes ago, Cal585 said:

Ok, thanks. So it would seem like a good idea to consider subbing off low concentration players, everything else being equal.

I do it primarily for low concentration defenders in the late stages of a game if it is a close one- especially CDs and if I am using a DM that I am expecting to be primarily a defender. 

On 18. 10. 2017. at 10:37, Piaz88 said:

it might be. When you play against a packed defence that really crunches the space in dangerous areas. Therefore you need to create it. This can be done in mumerous ways and playing more patient football might work. However, you'd likely need some roles that play deeper (a DM on D or CM on D). Basically players who would get on the ball in deeper position lurking the opponent forward. In this way the opposition defence will stretch vertically and allow a bit more space that you could use . 

I'm planning ahead for fm18 and want to play a 352 with a dm, 2 cms and 2 fw. How would I tell the team to play it short in the first 2/3 of the pitch but try long passes at the end of the pitch?  Will shorter passing and play through balls be enough? 

You can assign shorter passes and fewer risky passes PI to defenders and then direct passing and more risky passes to your playmakers/players who are capable of doing them. But they would attempt these passes also from the deeper positions.

Play through balls TI is effective when your team is sitting deep so there is enough space behind opposing defenders.

Apologies for putting this question here but no one replies in the FM Touch forum and I didn't want to start a new thread for a question that can probably be answered in one line!!  In FMT is there any way of cancelling your links with Affiliated Clubs?  I'm six years in to a FM17 save and I now have 9 Affiliated Clubs coming from several countries like England, Croatia, Australia, Scotland, France and Cyprus.  I really can't see the point of them as I don't send players on loan because the affiliates aren't a high enough standard and I never buy players from them for the same reason.  Two Clubs would be enough to be honest, the rest just cost fees that could be used elsewhere so is there any way in FMT to cancel the link?  When I used to play full fat you could just use the action button but there seems no way in FMT?  Thanks,

Quick question regarding player traits.

Do player traits override player instructions, and if so, is there a way around this?

Secondly, I've never had success in 'unlearning' a player trait, what helps in this respect?

For context, I'm trying to get my relatively young wingers to stop cutting inside. (FM18, btw).

Cheers

Player traits are natural tendencies. They are what the player will naturally do. Player Instructions may reduce but not eliminate those tendencies. I think un-learning the trait is just down to luck, but its not an easy thing. Your best bet is probably simply trying to find tactical ways to accommodate that tendency.

2 hours ago, mernild said:

Isn't the new Carrilero position exactly the same as a CM support except that it has less posibilities in terms of tweaking since it has some unavailable instructions?

Nope, the role is coded differently so it's more than just different player instructions.

3 hours ago, mernild said:

Isn't the new Carrilero position exactly the same as a CM support except that it has less posibilities in terms of tweaking since it has some unavailable instructions?

Nah it’s a lot different. I discuss the new roles here 

https://teaandbusquets.com/football-manager-2018-new-roles-explained