Quickfire Questions and Answers Thread (Tactic and Training Questions Only)

31 minutes ago, isignedupfornorealreason said:

Without adjusting mentality, how do you get players to make tackles?

A scenario I often come across, especially with the best teams is that they'll have 3 or 4 attacking players all capable of dribbling quite well. What can happen is my players will 'shadow' them from say, the halfway line, all the way into the box and they'll pop off a shot. That's quite annoying to see. I need the team to prevent that - I'm thinking 'get stuck in' is the only solution? 

Tackle Harder does not only mean go in more forcefully for the tackle, it also means to tackle more. That's the instruction you need, and better still, it's a PI not a TI like the one you mentioned

• Replies 17.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Can someone explain to me how Real Madrid's 433 would be set up in FM? Looking for how other people view it and how it would be set up in FM. I think I add to many things in some of mine. I'm not the best at creating tactics and finding faults in it. I just chop and change things and somehow get results. 

Also another thing, having started to watch more of my game to get better at tactics, one thing I have noticed is that my CB would always push up to close down for no reason and then the opposition just pass the ball into the gap and score. Similar thing with my 2 CM's, they both play on top of each other ( 41221 ) with both being on CM(s)

I even opted to have close down less on my CB's yet they still do it. 

Edited by Elitee

• SI Staff
On 18/07/2017 at 22:52, brigzi said:

to clarify, general training doesnt directly impact the next game. for example if you train defending general training, the next game youll defend better. its only match prep that affects the next game,

if thats the case then is there a post or something by someone directly working for SI that clarifies this? theres a youtuber whos adament general training affects the next game. if i showed him  herne or rashidi saying it doesnt affect the next game, he wouldnt believe them cause theyre not SI regardless of how highly thought of they are

As @herne79 says, General Training = attributes, Match Prep. = next match influence. General Training does not directly affect the next match.

When it comes to attribute development and its effect on current ability; I am curious as to whether the higher an attribute gets the more impact it will have on current ability.

For example, say a dribbling attribute of 10 increases to 11 and has an impact on CA of 1. If later his dribbling attribute went up from 16 to 17, would the impact on CA be greater than that of the change from 10 to 11?

3 hours ago, kkfootball said:

When it comes to attribute development and its effect on current ability; I am curious as to whether the higher an attribute gets the more impact it will have on current ability.

For example, say a dribbling attribute of 10 increases to 11 and has an impact on CA of 1. If later his dribbling attribute went up from 16 to 17, would the impact on CA be greater than that of the change from 10 to 11?

Yes it will. Just to back up my answer, Cleon said the same thing here : 

1 hour ago, HUNT3R said:

Does that mean it takes more CA, or simply that it's less likely for CA to be spent on attributes >= 15?  That was the way I had read Cleon's post at the time.

4 minutes ago, alanschu14 said:

Does that mean it takes more CA, or simply that it's less likely for CA to be spent on attributes >= 15?  That was the way I had read Cleon's post at the time.

Maybe I did confuse it unnecessarily! My understanding is that it does cost more CA too, as well as time. I am doubting myself now though.

• SI Staff

Worth noting here that attributes comes first. 

Attributes improve (or decline) and then with the attribute weightings taken into account CA is adjusted based on that. CA moves in response to attribute changes and not vice versa. These attribute adjustments are then refined based on any CA restrictions in place, e.g. CA = PA so cannot increase any further.

• SI Staff
20 hours ago, D_LO_ said:

Any thoughts on the above? Ta

He will not get trained by the youth coaches if he is too old for the youth team. Add to that happiness etc. and I would say that is not worth it.

• SI Staff
On 27/07/2017 at 06:40, HUNT3R said:

On 27/07/2017 at 07:47, alanschu14 said:

On 27/07/2017 at 07:53, HUNT3R said:

Maybe I did confuse it unnecessarily! My understanding is that it does cost more CA too, as well as time. I am doubting myself now though.

As I mentioned above Attribute > CA rather than CA > Attributes.

With a few exceptions at the extremes, attributes equal the same amount of CA throughout the scale. This is of course relative to weighting, e.g. Crossing is weighted much more heavily for a winger than it is a DC therefore equals more CA on a winger than a DC.

Improving an attribute becomes harder the higher the attribute is on the scale.

It is worth noting that attributes are stored and improve/decline on a much larger scale under the hood than 1-20, so not all changes are immediately obvious and/or are rounded for display.

3 hours ago, Seb Wassell said:

As I mentioned above Attribute > CA rather than CA > Attributes.

With a few exceptions at the extremes, attributes equal the same amount of CA throughout the scale. This is of course relative to weighting, e.g. Crossing is weighted much more heavily for a winger than it is a DC therefore equals more CA on a winger than a DC.

Improving an attribute becomes harder the higher the attribute is on the scale.

It is worth noting that attributes are stored and improve/decline on a much larger scale under the hood than 1-20, so not all changes are immediately obvious and/or are rounded for display.

Thanks for the clarification that CA cost stays the same throughout the scale (each attribute having its own cost depending on position of course).

Wrt to the scale, is it correct to assume that it's effectively a 1-100 scale?  I have noticed the decimal point in the training screen and it looks like it is always split in 0.2 increments?

• SI Staff
3 minutes ago, alanschu14 said:

Thanks for the clarification that CA cost stays the same throughout the scale (each attribute having its own cost depending on position of course).

Wrt to the scale, is it correct to assume that it's effectively a 1-100 scale?  I have noticed the decimal point in the training screen and it looks like it is always split in 0.2 increments?

Yes.

13 minutes ago, Pivot said:

2 qustions:

Can I choose place of next pre-season? Or can only managment to choose it ?

Can I choose a partnership club which I want from diffrent league? Or just managment chooses it? 

1. After I was with a club for a while, I would get choices from management on where to do my preseason.  I don't think it's possible to choose any place entirely on your own though.

2. Same goes for affiliates.  After I had been with the club for several years (getting 5 promotions in the process...) the club said they trusted me to recommend an affiliate and I could pick pretty much any club on the list.

Why, during a match, do my strikers often switch roles? I have a target man(s) and a poacher. I often find that they will switch mid match. I presume the game does this due to one being more suitable for the role than the other. If the game does do this, and I am not imagining things; how do I stop the game from making the switch?

14 hours ago, kkfootball said:

Why, during a match, do my strikers often switch roles? I have a target man(s) and a poacher. I often find that they will switch mid match. I presume the game does this due to one being more suitable for the role than the other. If the game does do this, and I am not imagining things; how do I stop the game from making the switch?

Thats impossible , probably you have downloaded the tactic.

Tactics -- player --click the ST --swap positions with..-none

7 minutes ago, herne79 said:

Unsuccessful tutoring can cause the Tutor / Tutee to dislike each other.

Note "can" not "will".

but nothing to effect the development of the tuttee, just the person clash? ok.

• SI Staff
18 hours ago, wkdsoul said:

but nothing to effect the development of the tuttee, just the person clash? ok.

There is unsuccessful tutoring and then there is tutor and tutee falling out. Obviously the latter is worse than the former.

A bad tutoring experience can impact upon both players' morale and their preferred/disliked people.

Morale affects development, so it can indeed have an indirect adverse impact on a player's progression.

Not worth making a thread about but, how have you guys found the effect of loans vs in-house development?

I have world class training facilities and youth facilities and great coaches but have found that players who are 17-23 seem to develop out on loan with regular game time as opposed to being tutored and influenced by my coaches.

I've seen one of my 17 yr old players improve a ridiculous amount at a Serie B team with Poor and Average training and youth facilities.

I take it I'm missing something here - but I guess gametime trumps your facilities and level of coaches? Which would make sense and is probably realistic. 

Edited by j_morrissey1990

• SI Staff
21 minutes ago, j_morrissey1990 said:

Not worth making a thread about but, how have you guys found the effect of loans vs in-house development?

I have world class training facilities and youth facilities and great coaches but have found that players who are 17-23 seem to develop out on loan with regular game time as opposed to being tutored and influenced by my coaches.

I've seen one of my 17 yr old players improve a ridiculous amount at a Serie B team with Poor and Average training and youth facilities.

I take it I'm missing something here - but I guess gametime trumps your facilities and level of coaches? Which would make sense and is probably realistic. 

Before the age of 18 matches have very little impact. It is all about training.

After the age of 18 matches take precedence. Training is still important of course but matches are the essential factor. These matches need to be at the highest level possible where the youngster can still perform. Too low a level and development will stall due to him lacking a challenge, too high a level and development will stall due to him finding the competition too tough. 

14 hours ago, Seb Wassell said:

After the age of 18 matches take precedence. Training is still important of course but matches are the essential factor. These matches need to be at the highest level possible where the youngster can still perform. Too low a level and development will stall due to him lacking a challenge, too high a level and development will stall due to him finding the competition too tough. 

By "competition too tough" are you mostly referring to (able to get good match scores)?  I just remember in FM16 exploding some kid through the ranks as a 17-20 year old because the team around him was amazing enough to carry him and he still put in good scores (was a striker and would often get goals on nice setups).

I imagine also that league rep feeds into youth league rep as well?  I (going from memory) think my U18 team in England had better success with growth once I was in Youth Category 1, but that might also simply be that my youth recruitment pool improved (also a function of improved club rep IIRC).

Is it arguable that this is an advantage of the "2nd teams" (i.e. Skeid 2) over say, England's U23 league?  Since Skeid 2 could hypothetically play in Norway Second Division it'd be akin to loaning my players to a tier 3 league team?

• SI Staff
10 hours ago, alanschu14 said:

By "competition too tough" are you mostly referring to (able to get good match scores)?  I just remember in FM16 exploding some kid through the ranks as a 17-20 year old because the team around him was amazing enough to carry him and he still put in good scores (was a striker and would often get goals on nice setups).

Yes, his average ratings will indicate how well suited the level if for him. Too low and his development will stall, too high and his development will stall. Look for the "godilocks zone" where his average ratings are just right. Practically speaking the player needs to play at the highest level he can before his average ratings dip too low.

Is it arguable that this is an advantage of the "2nd teams" (i.e. Skeid 2) over say, England's U23 league?  Since Skeid 2 could hypothetically play in Norway Second Division it'd be akin to loaning my players to a tier 3 league team?

Youth leagues have reputation as well. It is sometimes difficult to identify the exact reason that your youngsters are seeing changes in their development due to the large number of factors involved and the fact that some of these are very difficult to separate from one another, but you should certainly see a correlation.

Depending on the situation that would be fair yes. 

Does the "clear ball to flanks" TI influence all build up play (meaning that my players will generally look to play the ball towards the wider areas), or does it only influence how the team clear the ball when in distress near our own penalty area?

11 hours ago, Adzke said:

Does the "clear ball to flanks" TI influence all build up play (meaning that my players will generally look to play the ball towards the wider areas), or does it only influence how the team clear the ball when in distress near our own penalty area?

It sets how your defenders handle the ball in their own third- even without being in distress they will look to get the ball out to wide areas first time.

Hi guys,

Would anyone have any advice on what roles best suit the two midfielders in a 41221 DM with narrow, attacking inside forwards and a DLP Support, False 9 or Treq?

I'm thinking probably about keeping and starting them with as CM Supports and seeing what happens but i'm worried that might cause the area in front of the oppositions defense to be crowded and restrict space for the two inside forwards and forward. I don't really read the ME that well so thought i'd ask here. 

Finally, if i want the DM to be a Ball Winning Defender, i assume at least one of my centre mids should be on defend?

Tactic will most likely be balanced/standard with no TI's to begin with. 

Thanks al

On 7/31/2017 at 14:30, Seb Wassell said:

I didn't know this and was always trying to get kids on the pitch as early as possible. 

Thanks for sharing Seb!

I'm still learning the game. When I purchase or develop a player, I always make sure that he has a high teamwork attribute, since I dislike selfish players.

Without getting too deep into tactics, what are the advantages of a team that's described as "closely knit unit" because of high teamwork?

Also, is it correct to assume that a high teamwork player will follow instructions better on highly structured team shape? If so, how will teamwork benefit him on very fluid? 

Thanks for reading!

• SI Staff
9 hours ago, Nim-z said:

I'm still learning the game. When I purchase or develop a player, I always make sure that he has a high teamwork attribute, since I dislike selfish players.

Without getting too deep into tactics, what are the advantages of a team that's described as "closely knit unit" because of high teamwork?

Also, is it correct to assume that a high teamwork player will follow instructions better on highly structured team shape? If so, how will teamwork benefit him on very fluid? 

Thanks for reading!

I believe the "closely knit" bit you are referring to is actually team blend, an ME value that describes how well blended your team are with one another. Although without seeing where exactly you are referring to in the game there is a chance it is something else.

What is the benefit of having an assistant coach? I currently have 1 'coach' and he gives me reports and trains my players. I was thinking about just hiring another coach for better training but don't understand the benefit of an assistant coach.

18 hours ago, Isura said:

What is the benefit of having an assistant coach? I currently have 1 'coach' and he gives me reports and trains my players. I was thinking about just hiring another coach for better training but don't understand the benefit of an assistant coach.

The main benefit is the training quality- but also you can delegate tasks to him that you don't want to do like take press conferences, he can suggest lineups for you etc. There are a lot of things that role can do in the game, most of them are customizable to suit your needs. Since I like to do all my own managing tasks, the benefit to me is that he is a good coach in some area, and that he is good at evaluating players. 

I know a lot of people have complained about it but has anyone found any solution to how wide wingers sit while defending? Is there any combination of ppms/PIs that can make the slightest bit of difference? Can a system of max pressing hide the issue somewhat? If not, is there any way to make CMs/STs/AMs drift wide regularly when attacking? I find when I play without wingers I have too little width offensively but obviously when I play with them I have too much width offensively

On 31/07/2017 at 12:22, Seb Wassell said:

There is unsuccessful tutoring and then there is tutor and tutee falling out. Obviously the latter is worse than the former.

A bad tutoring experience can impact upon both players' morale and their preferred/disliked people.

Morale affects development, so it can indeed have an indirect adverse impact on a player's progression.

I think I know the answer to this, but can a positive tutoring experience with a poor-role model, have a negative effect on the tutee's attributes too? i.e. Determination / Big Games / Consistency / Professionalism dropping?

25 minutes ago, ham_aka_stam said:

I think I know the answer to this, but can a positive tutoring experience with a poor-role model, have a negative effect on the tutee's attributes too? i.e. Determination / Big Games / Consistency / Professionalism dropping?

Yes, although tutoring only affects attributes which go towards a players' personality.  So not big games or consistency.