Quickfire Questions and Answers Thread (Tactic and Training Questions Only)

On 29/5/2017 at 12:20, markus_aurelius said:

can I force a player into the starting lineup of my youth team?

I have an amazing 16 years old but he's not been played at all...

Staff---responsibilities---under 20s---head coach (your name)

• Replies 17.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

17 minutes ago, roggiotis said:

A '' Driven '' regen  with professionalism 8 , must be tutored by a '' professional ''- with high professionalism  or better leave him '' driven '' ?

Players with higher Professionalism and Ambition become more likely to achieve their potential - they'll train better.

A "Driven" personality means he has very high (20 iirc) Determination and a fair amount of Ambition.

On balance I probably would tutor him, but I'd want to make sure he'll retain a lot of his existing Determination and Ambition by picking the right tutor.

3 minutes ago, herne79 said:

Players with higher Professionalism and Ambition become more likely to achieve their potential - they'll train better.

A "Driven" personality means he has very high (20 iirc) Determination and a fair amount of Ambition.

On balance I probably would tutor him, but I'd want to make sure he'll retain a lot of his existing Determination and Ambition by picking the right tutor.

ok , i understood , thanx :thup:

How do you feel that this formation will go? 4-1-2-3 on fluid and standard.

G (d)

FB (s) CD (d) CD (d) FB (a)

DLP (d)

CM (a) RPM (s)

W (a) DLF (a) IF (a)

TI: Player out of defence, Lower tempo, Look for the overlap.

PI: GK - Roll it out to CBS

Both FBs - Stay wider

DLF: Dribble less

1 hour ago, Keano16 said:

G (d)

DLP (d)

CM (a) RPM (s)

W (a) DLF (a) IF (a)

Both FBs - Stay wider

The left flank looks a bit aggressive, but as ever it'll depend on the players you have available and their suitability for the roles.  There's only one way to find out...;).

Start a test in FMT (no tactical familiarity nonsense to worry about, quick to get into matches), see how it looks.

12 hours ago, herne79 said:

The left flank looks a bit aggressive, but as ever it'll depend on the players you have available and their suitability for the roles.  There's only one way to find out...;).

Start a test in FMT (no tactical familiarity nonsense to worry about, quick to get into matches), see how it looks.

Would your first idea be to switch the IF or FB first?

1 hour ago, Keano16 said:

Would your first idea be to switch the IF or FB first?

Probably the IF to give you a difference to your other flank, but it would depend on available personnel and tactical balance.

5 minutes ago, herne79 said:

Probably the IF to give you a difference to your other flank, but it would depend on available personnel and tactical balance.

Cheers man, do you know of anywhere that explains where certain roles move on the pitch? It would help me quite a bit I feel.

30 minutes ago, markus_aurelius said:

that's probably a stupid question, but does picking the default database instead of the 17.3 also changes the match engine?

because it states "sports interactive 17.1" below the database.

No, just the database.

Hello.

I've been trying to experiment with a 3-5-2 formation. I have been tweaking it a lot, and I ended up with no one on attack duty (though, while no player has an attacking duty, a few of them do behave in a more attacking way due to PPMs and PIs).

Now, my question regards the "pass into space" shout.

First of all, is this shout beneficial if there are no players on attacking duty making forward runs ?

Second, can this shout actually force a bit more movement from my players ?

I have tested it in game, and I can't say I've noticed a huge difference (albeit I've only played a couple of games).

Would love to have some insight on this shout and it's relation to player duty.

Thanks!

Pass into space increases through balls, or if more familiar "More Risky Passes". It can work, if you actually have space to exploit. Players on support still attack space, but they are more balanced than an attack duty. I think it could be down to your Mentality and Team Shape too.

On 2017-5-31 at 19:47, Keano16 said:

G (d)

DLP (d)

CM (a) RPM (s)

W (a) DLF (a) IF (a)

Both FBs - Stay wider

On 2017-5-31 at 20:58, herne79 said:

I'd be interested to see how this works out. If you have very strong left sided players and play against a team with a weak right flank, you could include the TI "Exploit left flank" and get a lot of joy from that. Being wary of the AI counter attacking down that side, swapping the RPM and CM in midfield and putting the CM on a support duty could help to prevent that. You might even consider making him a box to box midfielder if you still want him to get into the box.

30 minutes ago, captainretro said:

I'd be interested to see how this works out. If you have very strong left sided players and play against a team with a weak right flank, you could include the TI "Exploit left flank" and get a lot of joy from that. Being wary of the AI counter attacking down that side, swapping the RPM and CM in midfield and putting the CM on a support duty could help to prevent that. You might even consider making him a box to box midfielder if you still want him to get into the box.

I shall see how the combo of FB (a) and IF (s) does for the next few games and if we get exposed I'll try out a B2B on the left side. 

Edited by Keano16

3 minutes ago, Keano16 said:

I shall see how the combo of FB (a) and IF (s) does for the next few games and if we get exposed I'll try out a B2B on the left side. 

One other thought if that were to occur and your left sided centre back is forced to come across to the left hand side is to set your other CB to a cover duty to fill the void. By my own self admission though, I don't have the best grasp on defensive roles, much better to attack in my opinion! :D

10 minutes ago, captainretro said:

One other thought if that were to occur and your left sided centre back is forced to come across to the left hand side is to set your other CB to a cover duty to fill the void. By my own self admission though, I don't have the best grasp on defensive roles, much better to attack in my opinion! :D

:thup:

What's the best way to use the analysis tab after matches, and the best way to analyse matches in general? (with or without using the analysis tab)

Thanks in advance:)

Hi,

I am relatively new to playing football manage I have watched many a journeyman series and basic videos that describe the in and outs of the game however there is one thing i am struggling with which is Tactic Familiarity.

I cannot for the life of me get it to go up I have arranged as many pre seasons firendlys as possible to train match tactics. Also I have progressed half way through the season with no change to familiarity. I have not changed the team majorly from what it was.

Am I missing something?  Please help a fm noob out.

12 minutes ago, Sebski said:

What's the best way to use the analysis tab after matches, and the best way to analyse matches in general? (with or without using the analysis tab)

Thanks in advance:)

A good place to start is by looking at your shots.  If you can't get shots on target and/or taking too many long shots you may not be scoring enough.
  Such things usually happen because your strikers don't have any other options which can help get you started with thinking more about how to improve your tactic.

4 minutes ago, mcc6232 said:

Hi,

I am relatively new to playing football manage I have watched many a journeyman series and basic videos that describe the in and outs of the game however there is one thing i am struggling with which is Tactic Familiarity.

I cannot for the life of me get it to go up I have arranged as many pre seasons firendlys as possible to train match tactics. Also I have progressed half way through the season with no change to familiarity. I have not changed the team majorly from what it was.

Am I missing something?  Please help a fm noob out.

The best way to improve tactic familiarity is by arranging lots of pre-season friendlies (like every 3 or 4 days), moving the slider at the top of the Training screen all the way to the right for max. match preparation, and setting Match Preparation to tactics.

Having more than one tactic created, bringing in lots of new faces to the team (transfers or promoted youngsters) and/or changing your tactic will all slow down the rate at which tactic familiarity is learnt.

25 minutes ago, herne79 said:

A good place to start is by looking at your shots.  If you can't get shots on target and/or taking too many long shots you may not be scoring enough.
  Such things usually happen because your strikers don't have any other options which can help get you started with thinking more about how to improve your tactic.

The best way to improve tactic familiarity is by arranging lots of pre-season friendlies (like every 3 or 4 days), moving the slider at the top of the Training screen all the way to the right for max. match preparation, and setting Match Preparation to tactics.

Having more than one tactic created, bringing in lots of new faces to the team (transfers or promoted youngsters) and/or changing your tactic will all slow down the rate at which tactic familiarity is learnt.

Untitled.thumb.png.3aed0d6af45c6a1c26bf00a43eb9fdca.png I have seen the slider but I cannot move it and I have also seen in a couple of videos that there should be a couple of tick boxes that do not appear on my game. 

Would this be a bug with my game as I cannot move the slider. I am in charge of all the training FYI

Edited by mcc6232

43 minutes ago, mcc6232 said:

Untitled.thumb.png.3aed0d6af45c6a1c26bf00a43eb9fdca.png I have seen the slider but I cannot move it and I have also seen in a couple of videos that there should be a couple of tick boxes that do not appear on my game. 

Would this be a bug with my game as I cannot move the slider. I am in charge of all the training FYI

If your team is only part-time/semi pro then it doesn't let you.

Is there a way to split scout reports in the news feed so i can only see the reports of players i dont own and have clicked on to scout, over my own out on loan.

i've a rake of people out on loan, and i'd like there match reports to go straight into the report page, rather than have 35 emails after everymatch day in the feed? 

Just a quick question, not the best place to ask, but I didn't want to start a major debate over it.

FM 2017 is on offer at the moment, I never upgraded from 16. Is it worth upgrading as I'm only really interested in the match engine, So is FM17's match engine worth the upgrade over 16 or should I just wait for 18?

1 hour ago, _Daniel_ said:

Just a quick question, not the best place to ask, but I didn't want to start a major debate over it.

FM 2017 is on offer at the moment, I never upgraded from 16. Is it worth upgrading as I'm only really interested in the match engine, So is FM17's match engine worth the upgrade over 16 or should I just wait for 18?

You'll get different responses.  Best bet is to try the free demo and decide for yourself, the ME is no different in the demo compared to the full game.

2 hours ago, wkdsoul said:

Is there a way to split scout reports in the news feed so i can only see the reports of players i dont own and have clicked on to scout, over my own out on loan.

i've a rake of people out on loan, and i'd like there match reports to go straight into the report page, rather than have 35 emails after everymatch day in the feed? 

Probably best to ask in the General Forum rather than here (note thread title ;)).

So what goes into picking a good penalty kick taker? There's obviously more to it than just picking the player with the highest penalties, composure and finishing attributes, seeing as I'm 0/5 with 5 different takers over the last two seasons in my save, all with 10+ for finishing and 14-15 in both penalties and composure, while the player who took penalties for me in my first season went 6/6 with the very same attributes.

On 3/6/2017 at 15:38, _Daniel_ said:

The best change for me is that FM17 supports 64bit, it makes the game so much smoother and doesn't increase the loading times that much for long saves.

On 2017-06-03 at 15:38, _Daniel_ said:

For me FM17 is the first time since the switch to 3D where I've actually enjoyed watching the matches. I even watch the AI's matches sometimes, would never have thought about doing that in previous releases.

I am using my striker as a Trequartista since I want him not to close down at all. My system however, is highly aggressive and I use the close down much more TI.

When I look at his PI page, it says the he is closing down much less, but the close down meter is all the way to about 70%.

Can anyone please explain the mechanics of these kind of meters, and the connection between the text and the meter level?

Thanks!

Edited by ppl_unicode

16 hours ago, zZzZzZzZzZzZzZz said:

So what goes into picking a good penalty kick taker? There's obviously more to it than just picking the player with the highest penalties, composure and finishing attributes, seeing as I'm 0/5 with 5 different takers over the last two seasons in my save, all with 10+ for finishing and 14-15 in both penalties and composure, while the player who took penalties for me in my first season went 6/6 with the very same attributes.

I look at Penalty Taking and Composure. I also don't choose someone "weak" in the sense that they are very prone to either getting nervous or complacent in matches, because either way, that will affect their composure/focus.

21 hours ago, zZzZzZzZzZzZzZz said:

For me FM17 is the first time since the switch to 3D where I've actually enjoyed watching the matches. I even watch the AI's matches sometimes, would never have thought about doing that in previous releases.

Just out of interest, what was the specific improvement that made you start watching the A.I matches? Was it the new match views, or improved stadiums or that the 3D is now much better when it comes to animations? 

One of the reasons I ask is that I always have been watching AI vs AI games myself (I still play FM 14 but on a SUPER league).. And the reason I watch the games and play my own games on 2D is that the 3D does not show the FULL pitch and the camera pans about and around making you unable to view your defense when attacking or view your attackers or the opposition's defense when you're defending. It is thus difficult to 'manage' the team and spot things if you're not using the 2D match view

I've complained countless times about this and posted it on the Feature section, but yet no 3D view just stays in the center without panning left and right. Which makes them unsuitable for me to use to view games

Edited by samuelawachie

Honestly what is wrong with my team, I am so awfully inconsistent it is disgraceful, one game I beat Swansea 6-1, then I go on a 5 game winless run including a 5-1 loss to Palace. I am Preston btw and it is my third season in the Prem, I finished 12th first season, then 13th last season. I am currently 9 games in and am 16th despite starting well with wins over Chelsea and destroying Swansea. Even last season I wanted to get top half and I was like 7th at Christmas but only won two league games from the turn of the year and plummeted down the table ending up in 13th. This is my tactic:

Control mentality, Flexible team shape, TI's are to close down more, play a higher tempo, fairly wide and retain possession. I tend to tinker with this a fair bit but this is what it usually is. After trying a lot of formations and tactics in the second half of last season to end my slump I am currently Playing a 4-2-3-1.

G (De)

FB (Su) CB (De) CB (Co) CB (At)

CM (De) BBM (Su)

IF (At) AP (At) W/IF (Su) (depends who I have there)

AF (A)

My players are 

GK 

Mvogo/Sokol

RB

Estrada (regen)/De Sciglio

CB

Stark/Sokratis/Bailey Wright

LB

Finlayson (regen)/Van Aanholt

CM (D)

Pearson/Mandragora

BBM

Holtby/Ntcham

RM

Halilovic/Padaruth (regen)

AM

Onomah/Abdulrahman

LM

Kaputska/Payet

ST

Rossi (regen)/Guerra (regen)/Sturridge

Plus Giovani Dos Santos but I am trying to sell him and he doesn't really play anymore

Your 1 defensive midfielder covering on the side of the fullback who ISN'T attacking is already a balance issue. You're going to leave the other side wide open with the fullback AND BBM going forward.

7 minutes ago, HUNT3R said:

Your 1 defensive midfielder covering on the side of the fullback who ISN'T attacking is already a balance issue. You're going to leave the other side wide open with the fullback AND BBM going forward.

Okay cheers, good point and been taken into account. Anything else you notice? I tend to have more shots than my opposition and a lot more possession. A lot of my goals conceded seem to come from a central area in terms of assists, in last 50 league games 11 assist locations down our left side, 10 down our right, 15 in the penalty area and 9 from outside the box, a lot of these being from through balls and crosses. I tend to perform a lot better against the top teams to be honest.

3 hours ago, Lucas_26_7 said:

Honestly what is wrong with my team, I am so awfully inconsistent it is disgraceful, one game I beat Swansea 6-1, then I go on a 5 game winless run including a 5-1 loss to Palace. I am Preston btw and it is my third season in the Prem, I finished 12th first season, then 13th last season. I am currently 9 games in and am 16th despite starting well with wins over Chelsea and destroying Swansea. Even last season I wanted to get top half and I was like 7th at Christmas but only won two league games from the turn of the year and plummeted down the table ending up in 13th. This is my tactic:

Control mentality, Flexible team shape, TI's are to close down more, play a higher tempo, fairly wide and retain possession. I tend to tinker with this a fair bit but this is what it usually is. After trying a lot of formations and tactics in the second half of last season to end my slump I am currently Playing a 4-2-3-1.

G (De)

FB (Su) CB (De) CB (Co) CB (At)

CM (De) BBM (Su)

IF (At) AP (At) W/IF (Su) (depends who I have there)

AF (A)

Firstly, your midfield pair is too aggressive IMO. I'd change the B2B to a role that holds his position better (DLP d or S, CM s with the relevant PI, etc).

Secondly, why are you playing those TIs? Specifically "higher tempo" combined with "retain possession" ? The "retain poss" shout reduces tempo and passing length, whereas the "higher tempo" has an opposite effect. Are you trying to play in a quick and short style, maybe even a one pass system? Because I don't find your roles to be working towards that : you've got an IF and a W who both like to dribble more and won't look for the pass as much as other roles would.

20 minutes ago, Leoforos said:

Firstly, your midfield pair is too aggressive IMO. I'd change the B2B to a role that holds his position better (DLP d or S, CM s with the relevant PI, etc).

Secondly, why are you playing those TIs? Specifically "higher tempo" combined with "retain possession" ? The "retain poss" shout reduces tempo and passing length, whereas the "higher tempo" has an opposite effect. Are you trying to play in a quick and short style, maybe even a one pass system? Because I don't find your roles to be working towards that : you've got an IF and a W who both like to dribble more and won't look for the pass as much as other roles would.

Cheers mate. Yeah I was thinking that, the only reason I didn't have the BBM on as a DLP is because I thought having two playmakers in one team would get in the way of each other. Basically for my TI's I wanted us to close them down quickly and then to keep the ball and play it on the deck for the most part, but once we get into attack play quick passes between the lines and use our pace. Maybe if I revert the tempo back to normal I would get better results? Also I have changed to BBM to a DLP (S) and the 10 to a AM. I have also flirted with the idea of work ball into the box at times because we seem to be having a lot of shots of target but that didn't really have an effect as it just meant we had no chances. Once again thanks a lot for the help! It is not so much that we are awful, it is just the consistency that bugs me and how good we are against the top teams but how rubbish we are against the lower teams, I just got a 2-2 draw at the Etihad after having 10 men the entire game and them getting a shonky penalty. Also a few games ago I came from 3-0 down to draw 3-3 against West Ham at their place (they are regularly in Europe on my save). But in between that I had home losses to Derby and Southampton.

Edited by Lucas_26_7

38 minutes ago, Leoforos said:

The "retain poss" shout reduces tempo and passing length

The Shorter Passing TI reduces tempo and passing length.

Retain Possession reduces risky passes and passing length, not tempo.

In a 4231 it's easy to get hit on the counter-attack as there is a lot of empty space in the flanks, and the issue gets highlighted even more with aggressive FB/WB.

This can potentially explain why you are struggling against weaker teams, as they will tend to play a more compact and defensive game against you, drawing you forward and exploint the space you are leaving behind.

It is crucial for your Central Midfielders to be able to both disrupt attacks and pass the ball. A DLP will probably work better than a B2B as he will hold his position better. And don't worry about him getting in the way of your other playmaker as they don't look to exploit the same space. Ideally you'll want players with good workrate there.

EDIT for above

My bad, I got confused. So if we add things up, do we get this : a default highish tempo (control mentality) + higher tempo (TI) = a tempo that is approximately the same as the default attacking mentality one ?

Edited by Leoforos
Reply above

16 minutes ago, Leoforos said:

In a 4231 it's easy to get hit on the counter-attack as there is a lot of empty space in the flanks, and the issue gets highlighted even more with aggressive FB/WB.

This can potentially explain why you are struggling against weaker teams, as they will tend to play a more compact and defensive game against you, drawing you forward and exploint the space you are leaving behind.

It is crucial for your Central Midfielders to be able to both disrupt attacks and pass the ball. A DLP will probably work better than a B2B as he will hold his position better. And don't worry about him getting in the way of your other playmaker as they don't look to exploit the same space. Ideally you'll want players with good workrate there.

EDIT for above

My bad, I got confused. So if we add things up, do we get this : a default highish tempo (control mentality) + higher tempo (TI) = a tempo that is approximately the same as the default attacking mentality one ?

Thanks a lot mate! I will report back on how the changes I have made have gone, although my players have demanded (yes I know I gave in to player power lol) that I change formation for a few games to try and get better results, so the changes will have to wait a month which gives me time to perfect it I guess.

1 hour ago, Leoforos said:

So if we add things up, do we get this : a default highish tempo (control mentality) + higher tempo (TI) = a tempo that is approximately the same as the default attacking mentality one ?

Yup :thup:.

I've never been able to pull off a high tempo style of play and I'd be very interested in learning how.

Are these points valid ? :

- Need players with extremely good first touch, passing and very good mental abilities (decisions, flair)

- Need lots of support duties

- Need a formation that has a lot of natural triangles in it (though I guess it could be done in any formation, with a proper role & duty allocation).

I'm basically applying the "standard" possession logic that I usually use. However I don't know how this would work with a higher tempo

4 hours ago, Leoforos said:

I've never been able to pull off a high tempo style of play and I'd be very interested in learning how.

Are these points valid ? :

- Need players with extremely good first touch, passing and very good mental abilities (decisions, flair)

- Need lots of support duties

- Need a formation that has a lot of natural triangles in it (though I guess it could be done in any formation, with a proper role & duty allocation).

I'm basically applying the "standard" possession logic that I usually use. However I don't know how this would work with a higher tempo

High tempo is simply how long a player dwells on the ball before doing something it.

You can have all manner of different styles of high tempo play.  With these points above you seem to be getting stuck into a form of high tempo possession.  High tempo could also be very direct and vertical for example.

Check the guides at the top of the forum, especially the Art of Attacking Football + the related Shape, Mentality & Theory of Relativity and the linked Dark Arts video.

Or just crank up the in match speed of play and watch how fast the tempo gets then :lol:.

Training related question.  Sometimes my players have literally all down arrows on their attributes and then a few in game days later its back to green and vice versa..   

Is this telling me my training is bad? Or are they just having a bad day?  

14 minutes ago, BleuBurgers said:

Training related question.  Sometimes my players have literally all down arrows on their attributes and then a few in game days later its back to green and vice versa..   

Is this telling me my training is bad? Or are they just having a bad day?  

Nothing to worry about.  So long as the overall long term training shows improvement it's all good.  Just a bad day.