Quickfire Questions and Answers Thread (Tactic and Training Questions Only)

Although normally I'm not a fan of a playmaker in the middle of a 4-4-2, Bruno Soriano definitely does sound like a Deep Lying Playmaker. If you find that he's a bit too negative on a Counter mentality as a DLP-D, maybe even try a DLP-S. For the pair I might play Trigueros as a simple CM-S to complement. I don't know how Villareal play or their players (except Spurs legend Roberto Soldado) but perhaps having a Wide Playmaker on the opposite wing of Bruno might help in spreading the ball around a bit more, with a traditional Winger on his side.

• Replies 17.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Harpoon76 said:

Does a Treq or Engache in the AM slot have the same "Ball Magnet" properties as a AP?

Yes, all playmaker roles (AP, DLP, RPM, TREQ, ENG + REG + WP) are Ball Magnets

Edited by YasoKuul

So I'm using a 4-1-4-1 Very Fluid Counter system based on Ozi-to-the-Arsenal's work. Its actually fairly attacking and possession based. The goals are fairly well dispersed - the two side players get in on the action, one of the MCs (a CM-A) gets quite a few, and the lone striker. The lone striker is a Complete Forward Support.

The player I am using for the striker role is fairly young and not fully developed for the level, but he's home grown, has potential, and I managed to tutor to him to an almost perfect personality. I'm hoping plenty of match time will see him develop into something approach a top class forward. I'd like him to learn the Plays One-Twos PPM to create some quick passing up top when possible. I'm also consider the Comes Deep to Get Ball.

My question is how deep will he move with that PPM? I don't want him constantly back between the two MCs. We score plenty of goals from crosses, scrappy rebounds, and the like. So I don't want him totally out of position. I would just like to encourage a bit more movement, especially when we lose the ball or in transition after winning it.

Hi to all again!

a typical doubt:

in 433 system what's best role and dutty for dm , when with almost a 1 attack. FB, and high D-Line

ex:

fb(s) - cb - cb - wb (a) 

------   dm (?) = (anchor,dmc,dlp, HB)

thx

3 minutes ago, llado01 said:

Hi to all again!

a typical doubt:

in 433 system what's best role and dutty for dm , when with almost a 1 attack. FB, and high D-Line

ex:

fb(s) - cb - cb - wb (a) 

------   dm (?) = (anchor,dmc,dlp, HB)

thx

The best role and duty for your DM depends entirely on what you want your DM to do and how he balances with the rest of your system.

If you want someone to spray passes out from deep, then a DLP or Regista may be the role you want.

Perhaps you want an active destroyer to aggressively get at your opponents, in which case a BWM could be an idea.

Or a simple holding midfielder to break up play and lay the ball off to a near by team mate, so perhaps an Anchor Man.

There are all kinds of options, so the best option is what you want the role to do.  And don't forget you also need the right player to perform the role.

I have a problem playing against teams which play a narrow 4-3-3. It always happens that I batter teams in the first half who then switch to this formation and completely dominate me. I've just been leading 4-1 at half time to then draw 4-4 after an absolute pummelling in the second half. How can I defend agains this formation.

I have a promising youth player (well, 22 year old) who has pretty good stats across the board for a full back and still 1.5* to "grow into". However, his report indicates that he doesn't enjoy big matches. Is there a way to train this out of him? I've currently have him being tutored, although this player doesn't have "enjoys big matches". Will that help to at least bring him back to neutral for big matches?

45 minutes ago, Marabak said:

I have a promising youth player (well, 22 year old) who has pretty good stats across the board for a full back and still 1.5* to "grow into". However, his report indicates that he doesn't enjoy big matches. Is there a way to train this out of him? I've currently have him being tutored, although this player doesn't have "enjoys big matches". Will that help to at least bring him back to neutral for big matches?

Tutoring doesn't help big matches.

There is no way to "train" that attribute, but it can develop by playing the player in big matches.

5 hours ago, Marabak said:

Low pressure maybe ?

6 minutes ago, nightwalker22 said:

What do Exploit the Right/Left Flank do exactly?

lol good question.

In my opinion there is a difference between what these TIs are supposed to do and what they actually do.

They're supposed to help focus play down a particular flank to exploit a weakness in the opposition and/or take advantage of an especially strong player in your team.  The rest of your team should look to play to that side more often, with the wide players on that flank taking more risks, making more forward runs, dribbling more, crossing more and so on.

What it actually does in my opinion (and note this is my personal experience so others may have a differing view) is not a lot.  I've never noticed any real difference when using this TI, even if an opponent goes down to 10 men, leaves one flank without a winger and I tell the team to exploit that flank.  I've stopped using it.

What is also unclear (to my mind) is how this TI would interact with a playmaker or two (and/or a Target Man) elsewhere in your system.  Playmakers and TMs act as ball magnets, so quite how that would work out if also telling your players to get the ball to a particular flank just seems confusing and contradictory to me.

43 minutes ago, herne79 said:

lol good question.

In my opinion there is a difference between what these TIs are supposed to do and what they actually do.

They're supposed to help focus play down a particular flank to exploit a weakness in the opposition and/or take advantage of an especially strong player in your team.  The rest of your team should look to play to that side more often, with the wide players on that flank taking more risks, making more forward runs, dribbling more, crossing more and so on.

What it actually does in my opinion (and note this is my personal experience so others may have a differing view) is not a lot.  I've never noticed any real difference when using this TI, even if an opponent goes down to 10 men, leaves one flank without a winger and I tell the team to exploit that flank.  I've stopped using it.

What is also unclear (to my mind) is how this TI would interact with a playmaker or two (and/or a Target Man) elsewhere in your system.  Playmakers and TMs act as ball magnets, so quite how that would work out if also telling your players to get the ball to a particular flank just seems confusing and contradictory to me.

According to THOG's Lines & Diamonds.

"Exploit the Flanks encourages wide defenders to provide mobility down the flanks by pushing up into midfield and attempting more forward runs. It also instrucs them to offer more penetration with frequent crosses. This is a quick means of targeting an exposed opposition fullback with a simple overload pattern. Exploit the Left Flank and Exploit the Right Flank work in the same way but only affect a single flank."

Now, the questions are: a) if the player Get Further Forward PI hardcoded through duty (WB-S), would this make him take even more forward runs or is that pushed to the max? and b) Get Further Forward increases in any way the individual mentality of a player, or is it just that he will move further up the pitch only, but without any change in his individual mentality? I am asking this because I want to find a sweet spot for my right side (DR, AMR) that's something more attacking than support and less aggressive as attack.

2 hours ago, nightwalker22 said:

Now, the questions are: a) if the player Get Further Forward PI hardcoded through duty (WB-S), would this make him take even more forward runs or is that pushed to the max? and b) Get Further Forward increases in any way the individual mentality of a player, or is it just that he will move further up the pitch only, but without any change in his individual mentality? I am asking this because I want to find a sweet spot for my right side (DR, AMR) that's something more attacking than support and less aggressive as attack.

There's one way to find out ;).

Seriously though, give it a try.  See if it does give you the movement you are after.  Experimenting in that manner is the best way to learn things, rather than having a muppet such as me banging on about personal opinions.

For individual mentality, you can actually see a graphical representation of that in each players' PI screen.  It's the blue bar labelled mentality, and changes as different tactical settings are used.

Hi guys 

Silly Question Here, does the Use Tighter Marking Team Instruction make individual player use 'mark tighter' like the old days  of fm12-13? Just for understanding by the way

10 hours ago, herne79 said:

There's one way to find out ;).

Seriously though, give it a try.  See if it does give you the movement you are after.  Experimenting in that manner is the best way to learn things, rather than having a muppet such as me banging on about personal opinions.

For individual mentality, you can actually see a graphical representation of that in each players' PI screen.  It's the blue bar labelled mentality, and changes as different tactical settings are used.

Alright, but how can you notice changes when trying out a TI? I mean how can we compare two matches where I used a TI in one and didn't use it in another?

Just now, nightwalker22 said:

Alright, but how can you notice changes when trying out a TI? I mean how can we compare two matches where I used a TI in one and didn't use it in another?

The impact of any tactical instruction can be hard to assess, especially if just looking at one match, as the impact can change from match to match simply because your opponents are different and will play in different ways.

Friendlies at the start of the season can useful in this regard - set your team up, play say 3 matches without change and watch to see if generally speaking your players behave in the manner that you want.  If they do great, if they don't then make changes and repeat the process.  It can also be an idea to start with few (if any) instructions to see if your players behave in the manner that you want anyway without you adding in instructions, which is perfectly possible.

For more specific instructions, such as exploiting left/right flank for example, you can also double check various reports such as heat maps and passing areas to see if the reports back up what the instructions are supposed to do (and what you may or may not have noticed on the pitch).

1 hour ago, herne79 said:

The impact of any tactical instruction can be hard to assess, especially if just looking at one match, as the impact can change from match to match simply because your opponents are different and will play in different ways.

Friendlies at the start of the season can useful in this regard - set your team up, play say 3 matches without change and watch to see if generally speaking your players behave in the manner that you want.  If they do great, if they don't then make changes and repeat the process.  It can also be an idea to start with few (if any) instructions to see if your players behave in the manner that you want anyway without you adding in instructions, which is perfectly possible.

For more specific instructions, such as exploiting left/right flank for example, you can also double check various reports such as heat maps and passing areas to see if the reports back up what the instructions are supposed to do (and what you may or may not have noticed on the pitch).

There, I could identify some of my methods when setting up a tactic (no TIs to start with, use friendlies to further adjust what I need), since I am still in my pre-season, I will try to take a look and see how it works.

21 hours ago, Bdare said:

Hi guys 

Silly Question Here, does the Use Tighter Marking Team Instruction make individual player use 'mark tighter' like the old days  of fm12-13? Just for understanding by the way

no answer then?

23 hours ago, Leccy said:

Hi

Stupid question here (obviously)...

Does changing the D line higher or lower move your whole team up and down the pitch or just your back line?

If you look at the Team Instructions, you will see it is under the "defence" tab & defensive line which affects how high up the pitch your last defender will sit.

7 hours ago, Bdare said:

no answer then?

I think it is similar. Remember TI affects the whole team, Mark Tighter which is a PI afaik, is a PI which affects only a player.

So you're saying it only moves the back line up, not the whole team?

In that case why do people recommend dropping D line to break down defensive teams, this won't have any effect if it's just your defenders moving further back.

16 minutes ago, Leccy said:

So you're saying it only moves the back line up, not the whole team?

In that case why do people recommend dropping D line to break down defensive teams, this won't have any effect if it's just your defenders moving further back.

In my opinion, a high defensive line means your defenders will most likely sit near the centre of the park when in possession so therefore you will have less space to utilize if you play from the back for example. The space become congested because most of the players play in only a half and you have little space to play in. If you drop the defensive line, for example a DLP will come deeper to get the ball from the back which will allow him to have more space to operate. But most people have used this "trick" which in most cases didn't help at all.

1 hour ago, nightwalker22 said:

I think it is similar. Remember TI affects the whole team, Mark Tighter which is a PI afaik, is a PI which affects only a player.

I see so as a team you basically tight mark alreading using the use tighter marking shout. Thanks for the clarification 

Edited by Bdare

hi to all again!

i have a combo-question :

i have a player with the PPM "dictates tempo" , this player always dictate the tempo? i mean , also with a non-playmaker role (AM or WM) 

and i have another player with the ppm's: "switch the ball other flank" and "tries long range passes" , .what is best playmaker combo with this players and what is the best candidate for 1st primary playmaker,

lot of thx!

39 minutes ago, llado01 said:

what is best playmaker combo with this players and what is the best candidate for 1st primary playmaker

Definitely the one who has "Dictates Tempo". You should also learn him the "Tries Killer Balls Often".
"Tries Long Range Passes" is for players in deeper positions.

Check this for more info (you want to read the "4. Passing").

23 minutes ago, ilkork said:

Definitely the one who has "Dictates Tempo". You should also learn him the "Tries Killer Balls Often".
"Tries Long Range Passes" is for players in deeper positions.

Check this for more info (you want to read the "4. Passing").

nice, i want to try this  ....

Another question i would like to ask is if i have 2 strikers one attack and one support and they both have moves into channels, would they interfere with each others game?

hi again! 

i need some help,please:

im desperate playing a 433 , I can not supply an AF in a 433, I can not find the way to generate space for to score regularly. My Ap not connect 

my set-up

fb(s) - cb  - cb - fb (a)

-------- A(d) -------------

b2b* ----------- Ap (s)

w(a) - Af (A)** - If (s) 

* or mc(A) 

** or P(A)

counter,flexible

i'm playin in spanish tier 3

On 2017-3-5 at 00:04, kingjericho said:

How come the role of Defensive Winger is no longer an option for the AMR/AML strata? Can you suggest the best way to replicate this? (apart from the obvious solution of having them in the MR/ML slots)

I restate my point that this role should exist for the AMR/L strata. A real life example is Mandzukic who currently plays as a AML and is the main pressing point further in the pitch.

8 hours ago, nightwalker22 said:

Where can I find more detailed stuff about PIs and how exactly each affect an individual player?

Lines and Diamonds is always a good read for instruction explanations.

On 5/4/2017 at 17:05, Bdare said:

Another question i would like to ask is if i have 2 strikers one attack and one support and they both have moves into channels, would they interfere with each others movement?

any thoughts?

7 hours ago, Bdare said:

any thoughts?

They have different channels to move into, one left and one right, so no they won't interfere. This is easily visible just by watching a couple of minutes in full.

A youth development question. I have a regen who is described as best in a generation to come out of my academy. He is 20 for determination which I know is a useful indicator (but no more) for predicting if someone will become world class. 

Unfortunately his personality is very average. I know tutoring is important here, but all the suitable tutors with good personalities are significantly lower in determination. 

My quandry is whether to get him tutored and accept a drop in determination or let him develop naturally. Just to add that after 6 months I'm slightly disappointed with his attribute growth but he is still only just turned 17. 

Bit confused and hopefully someone will be able to help.  I have two players in my squad who are constantly losing stamina in the later stages of games and also I am often being told that they need a rest.  The players in question are Naby Keita and Cheikhou Kouyate.  Keita has a natural fitness of 16 and stamina at 17.  Kouyate natural fitness of 17 and a stamina level of 12, (which may be his problem).  Kouyate tends to play as a BWM D and Keita a BBM so yep they are two quite fitness based roles and both have high work rate and teamwork stats so they obviously do a lot of work.  However Keita also tends to be shattered late on even if you play him as a CM and I have no such issues with players like Noble and Obaing who have slightly lower stats in the fitness and stamina stakes.  I also never get such issues with my wing backs and they play in a 4132 so logically they are doing as much running, if not more, than Keita.  It just seems strange that arguably the fittest player at the Club is the one I regularly replace with 10-15 minutes remaining.  Any ideas?

Edited by Sussex Hammer

I'm just guessing but does he have a really high work rate? If so it may be that he is charging around far too much even if his role doesn't dictate that he should. As I said though this is a pure guess.