Quickfire Questions and Answers Thread (Tactic and Training Questions Only)

Two questions I've wondered about:

2. If you have a youngster who's a Model Professional is there any point in tutoring them? Unless you have a stand out tutor, eg. Model Pro with good PPM, high determination etc, but that rarely happens.

I would never do it except in the case you mentioned. That is a rare and precious personality type that you don't want to tamper with. Of course if you have another model pro that develop his PPms, Determination, etc., but otherwise, no.

As for the pre-season, I would guess that a longer pre-season will play into the mix as to how quickly a player might need a rest or become jaded. I don't know for sure, but I've operated on that assumption for long time (and hopefully haven't been missing a couple vital weeks of training out of ignorance!)

• Replies 17.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If I play a 4231 and switch to a 4123, is there a way to make the MCL switch to the DM spot? My game always makes the AMC switch to DM, and I have to manually switch them.

If you set your 4123 tactic as one of your three preps, then select it, it will put the players where you want them. If you use the pre-loaded formations, then it will move them around weirdly sometimes.

Does anyone know, or have found, if swapping between two tactics that are drastically different (formation, creative freedom and tempo) has a negative effect on results? Additionally can swapping during a game cause issues for the opposition when all of a sudden we change our play completely?

I currently have Fuss and a 4-2-3-1 I found loaded.

I would never do it except in the case you mentioned. That is a rare and precious personality type that you don't want to tamper with. Of course if you have another model pro that develop his PPms, Determination, etc., but otherwise, no.

As for the pre-season, I would guess that a longer pre-season will play into the mix as to how quickly a player might need a rest or become jaded. I don't know for sure, but I've operated on that assumption for long time (and hopefully haven't been missing a couple vital weeks of training out of ignorance!)

Model Professional isn't a great rare/precious personality type at all, I think you might be confused with Model Citizen. Model Pro doesn't mean a player will develop because it still lacks the ambition part that is needed.

If you set your 4123 tactic as one of your three preps, then select it, it will put the players where you want them. If you use the pre-loaded formations, then it will move them around weirdly sometimes.

I'll point something else out: I use an asymmetric formation with an AML and an MR. Sometimes I need to change it to ML/AMR. I need to do this manually of course, but the point I want to make is that it doesn't affect tactical familiarity.

If you tutor a player, does every hidden attribute are been passed or only those who relate to his description?

For example if you have model pro (professional 20 and um I think ambition 1-10.. lets assume I'm right) so, if I tutor a player , only those attribjutes are passed, or even the rest?

The purpose of the question is to discover if you can tutor to model citizen without actually have a model citizen tutor..

Hope this was a clear one

If you tutor a player, does every hidden attribute are been passed or only those who relate to his description?

For example if you have model pro (professional 20 and um I think ambition 1-10.. lets assume I'm right) so, if I tutor a player , only those attribjutes are passed, or even the rest?

The purpose of the question is to discover if you can tutor to model citizen without actually have a model citizen tutor..

Hope this was a clear one

Model Pro is

• Model Professional Pro 20, Tem 10-20

And no you can't raise all hidden attributes via tutoring, some are preset like injury proneness and others rise with age/game time/experience

Model Professional isn't a great rare/precious personality type at all, I think you might be confused with Model Citizen. Model Pro doesn't mean a player will develop because it still lacks the ambition part that is needed.

What does ambition relate too? Does it make them more ambitious in reaching their potential AND want to play at the highest level possible? Or just one. If you have a very ambitious player will they want a new challenge after 2-3 seasons?

If you build a team full of highly professional and high loyalty players would you have a team that stay for the long haul and get the job done? I normally just build a team of professionals but I think I might do some more study into what each hidden attribute really do.

What does ambition relate too? Does it make them more ambitious in reaching their potential AND want to play at the highest level possible? Or just one. If you have a very ambitious player will they want a new challenge after 2-3 seasons?

If you build a team full of highly professional and high loyalty players would you have a team that stay for the long haul and get the job done? I normally just build a team of professionals but I think I might do some more study into what each hidden attribute really do.

Without ambition someone can't reach their potential. It's why being professional isn't enough on its own. Ambition doesn't mean they always want to leave or a new challenge though if they have the correct personality type. Ambition on its own could make the player want to leave though but like everything else its dependant on other hidden attributes too.

Model Pro is

• Model Professional Pro 20, Tem 10-20

And no you can't raise all hidden attributes via tutoring, some are preset like injury proneness and others rise with age/game time/experience

Maybe you didn't understand me fully..

Let's make again an example

Lets copy two descriptions that are my tutors

Perfectionist : Pro,det,amb 18-20. temp 1-9

Light hearted: pre,spor 15-20. Temp 10-20.pro 1-17

Now few things:

1. When I'm tutoring with the first one do his OTHER att also make impact? (Like pressure handle let's say..)

2. If no, then if I'm tutor with both of them first is first and then the second so I'll get a player with:

Det,amb 18-20 ,pro1-17,temp 10-20,sport 15-20

Right? In this way tutoring now with model pro will end in pro back in 20 (theroticaly everything went perfect) and the rest are good already.. And this player is very good in this aspect right now.. Doesn't? I hope it works like that;)

Quick question on players learning PPM. Can I choose the specific PPM they learn or do I just have to get a tutor who has it and hope it passes along? When I click on the New Preferred Move button I can only request from one of my coaches...

I want to give Gedion Zelalem the preferred moves Moves into Channels, Tries Killer Balls Often and Comes Deep to Get Ball. Mesut Özil has all these, will setting him as tutor pass them onto Zelalem? Özil also has Runs with Ball Often which I don't want to be passed along, can you determine which moves will get learned?

Ah yes, I did, my bad. I'll get my coat . . .

When playing with 'much higher defensive line' and 'hassle opponents' in a 4-2-3-1 [two CM's, AM, AMR, AML], how should I set my CD's up? Is there a right/wrong way? Maybe one covering to combat long through balls? :/

Yes. I only do that if I have a CD who is significantly quicker than the opposition's fastest forward, and put him on cover. The alternative is to have a sweeper keeper.

When playing with 'much higher defensive line' and 'hassle opponents' in a 4-2-3-1 [two CM's, AM, AMR, AML], how should I set my CD's up? Is there a right/wrong way? Maybe one covering to combat long through balls? :/

An offside trap can also be a massive help, as long as you have the defenders to pull it off.

Yes. I only do that if I have a CD who is significantly quicker than the opposition's fastest forward, and put him on cover. The alternative is to have a sweeper keeper.

Out of interest do you think C and D is ok? or should you always match C with X?

Cover and Defend is fine. You can match any combination except for Cover/Cover and Stopper/Stopper, really.

Read this for a better insight: http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/375632-Pairs-amp-Combinations-The-Complete-Series - probably the best thread I've ever read in this forum.

Well I also think C and X is risky - one steps forward, one steps back, leaving a gap for a forward to run onto onto a through ball. So I'd say any combo of DX, DC, DD is fine.

In previous versions of the game we've seen players who are "Either" footed have some lower attributes because their two footed approach compensates for this. Given that learn weak foot is a PPM this year, does it have an impact on CA points, or have they removed this link to CA and Foot?

Not really a stupid question but not sure where else to put it. Ive just been promoted to the Prem with Wolves going into my third season, i signed Jelle Vossen as he has been a god send in previous versions of FM. Stats are good but i cant seem to get him scoring.

I play a 3-1-4-2 a possession based game as i have good ball players all over the pitch. I currently have him as an Advanced Forward-Attack, he is playing alongside a Target Man-Support. Not on FM atm so cant post screenshots.

Any advice/constructive criticism is welcome...

In previous versions of the game we've seen players who are "Either" footed have some lower attributes because their two footed approach compensates for this. Given that learn weak foot is a PPM this year, does it have an impact on CA points, or have they removed this link to CA and Foot?

It has a marginal impact on CA (a guy posted some analysis of it in General Discussion a couple of months ago - can't find the thread unfortunately).

From what I remember, the CA impact was so minimal that it wasn't worth losing sleep over.

Not really a stupid question but not sure where else to put it. Ive just been promoted to the Prem with Wolves going into my third season, i signed Jelle Vossen as he has been a god send in previous versions of FM. Stats are good but i cant seem to get him scoring.

I play a 3-1-4-2 a possession based game as i have good ball players all over the pitch. I currently have him as an Advanced Forward-Attack, he is playing alongside a Target Man-Support. Not on FM atm so cant post screenshots.

Any advice/constructive criticism is welcome...

When you get on FM again, consider starting a thread.

We really need to know what the supply for Vossen is, and what the overall team settings are.

How much does the Regista offer defensively? Same question for the DLP/S and DLP/D in the DM strata.

Not that much. He's more there as a deep, Roaming creator, and as you can't really partner him at DM (doing so would crowd his space), you need to find other ways to defend centrally if you use a Regista.

The DLP (D) does a very good job, and differentiates himself from the Support Duty version, because he stays in the hole whereas the DLP (S) will step into the MC line.

A DLP (D) gives defensive cover and decent distribution at DM. He isn't perhaps as functionally efficient as a DM (D) or Anchor, but is a good option

Another (unrelated question). Sometimes when my team has sustained possession outside the opposition's box, I notice that my wingers (particularly my W/A on the right) offer no width and pretty much stand right next to my lone striker in the box. Is this supposed to happen? Is there any way to get them to come a bit wider, as I notice that setting them to "Play Wider" (Or whatever the individual instruction is) doesn't seem to have much of an effect.

Edit: Is there a guide to Opposition Instructions anywhere?

I was thinking about random FM stuff, and I realised that, ever since the TC was introduced, I can't once remember using a DLF(A), and I can't really see where I would. If I want a creative striker, I want them dropping off, linking up and taking up the support role (DLF(S), TM(S), CF(S), Treq - even with the attack duty he's more like a support player). If I want a goalscorer, I want them looking to push forward - AF, TM(A), CF(A), Poacher. And if I need someone to help out my team by pressing hard on their defenders, well, that's what the defensive forward is. But I don't see where the DLF(A) fits. So, my stupid question is, what kind of tactics would use one?

This has probably already been asked and answered, but:

Does the Hassle Opponents team instruction work the same way it used to and set everyone to man-marking? Is this the only way to increase closing down (except pushing up the defensive line) without telling everyone to do it in their individual instructions?

Can somebody tell me if the Control strategy will counter if it's on? I'm trying to recreate the way Borussia Dortmund play and i'm not sure if it would be better to select Counter and push up the d line, tempo and pressing or just select Control and leave it as it is.

Thanks

If I'm trying to set up a 4-2-3-1 with 1 CM and 1 DM, what's an appropriate role for the CM when I'm using a DM-D? I thought about BBM to try to link the defense and attack, but I'm slightly concerned he will be out of position too much with all that space to cover in midfield. Would a CM-S or even a DLP-S be better for staying in position but still linking defense and attack? Upfront I'm playing W-S -- SS-A -- W-A with a DLF-S as my striker.

If I'm trying to set up a 4-2-3-1 with 1 CM and 1 DM, what's an appropriate role for the CM when I'm using a DM-D? I thought about BBM to try to link the defense and attack, but I'm slightly concerned he will be out of position too much with all that space to cover in midfield. Would a CM-S or even a DLP-S be better for staying in position but still linking defense and attack? Upfront I'm playing W-S -- SS-A -- W-A with a DLF-S as my striker.

I would go with a attacking creative role, since that's the one element your AM and DM aren't really providing. Maybe an AP/A if you have anyone suitable. If not then maybe a CM/A.

I would go with a attacking creative role, since that's the one element your AM and DM aren't really providing. Maybe an AP/A if you have anyone suitable. If not then maybe a CM/A.

Hmm that's interesting, haven't considered that. Worried that might make things too attacking, as the SS isn't the most aggressive at tracking back. Do you think I'd run into spacing issues too with the SS, DLF, and AP, potentially interacting in similar spaces?

I dunno, I'm no expert, but when I think of a midfield with an SS/A and a DM/D, the one thing I don't see is a creative type. The wingers will stay wide so I don't think there will be too much congestion. Plus I think the SS will help out a bit defensively by closing down defenders and DMs. Maybe dial down the duty to prevent too many guys from rushing forward? So an AP/S or CM/S then?

Hmm that's interesting, haven't considered that. Worried that might make things too attacking, as the SS isn't the most aggressive at tracking back. Do you think I'd run into spacing issues too with the SS, DLF, and AP, potentially interacting in similar spaces?

I am also playing a 4-2-3-1, having done so for two seasons of FM now. I play a midfield triangle of CM/D - DLP with a Trequartista on top. I was afraid that I wouldn't get much penetration by having two deep midfielders, but my IF/S on left, the Treq in the middle, the W/A on the right and the Advanced forward are doing a terrific job. However, I will sometimes change the DLP depending on the match situation. If I get up by a score I will just keep him as DLP. However, if I am chasing the game I will sometimes set him to a CM/A so he will be able to run into space between the lines. Obviously, it's a little risky, but can be necessary sometimes. Also, if the game is tight and I absolutely need a win against a weak opposition, I will also change the DLP to CM/A.

You can also look for the PPM "get forward whenever possible", and deploy him as a regular CM/S. In that way he will pick his forward runs a little better, I think.

Does anyone have any problems with crossing, or more importantly the lack of it?

My wingers and full backs both get to the byline and win corners which rarely amount to anything. Anyone know how I can solve this?

In the first update the hopeless full back problem was 'fixed' by having opponents double up on wingers going to the byline; as a result few crosses get into the box. I think this is overdone and ought to be scaled back a bit, but having said that I do sometimes have a winger sail through the 2 opponents and get a pass or cross in.

You need to consider real life crossing success rates - in the Premier League it's something like 5%. How many crosses does the likes of Valencia actually complete, for instance?

Does anyone have any problems with crossing, or more importantly the lack of it?

My wingers and full backs both get to the byline and win corners which rarely amount to anything. Anyone know how I can solve this?

same with me in my 1st season with liverpool... then i just instruct my team to drill cross and my wingback to cross from deep. it actually icrease my cross % to like 0-25% every game

Can somebody tell me if the Control strategy will counter if it's on? I'm trying to recreate the way Borussia Dortmund play and i'm not sure if it would be better to select Counter and push up the d line, tempo and pressing or just select Control and leave it as it is.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Any mentality will counter with the right setup, but in the cavalier "Counter" in the FM sense, it is limited to the Counter, Defensive and Overload Mentalities.

I originally assumed it was just Counter, but wwfan added the other two into the mix.

You can still achieve counter-esque play with the right combination of Team Instructions irrespective of Mentality.

I got this killer Regista (regen) and Halfback (regen) in the same team and am looking to use both.

Can I employ both in the DMC position and if so; how would I have to position the rest of the team to get the needed positional stability?

The regista is wasted and doesn't function correctly in a 2 man DMC tactic because he relies on space and drifts side to side as well as pushing up and he can't do this with another DMC in the side properly.