Quickfire Questions and Answers Thread (Tactic and Training Questions Only)

• Replies 17.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope this is just a bug or something but... I was fiddling with my main tactic, and I changed the formation (it was familiar=fluid at the time) and so I made a few changes, but I then put it back to the way it was before. The problem is my tactical familiary went down the tubes as my team now is "awkward" with the formation they've been using ALL YEAR LONG lol. Anyone else experience this?

I hope this is just a bug or something but... I was fiddling with my main tactic, and I changed the formation (it was familiar=fluid at the time) and so I made a few changes, but I then put it back to the way it was before. The problem is my tactical familiary went down the tubes as my team now is "awkward" with the formation they've been using ALL YEAR LONG lol. Anyone else experience this?

It's not a bug I'm afraid.

A very stupid question:

If opponent is playing with high defensive line and hassling my defenders what I could do that I can avoid their press? Maybe more direct passing?

Pass into space? Counter attack?

Is there a bug with setting Long Throw In instructions? No matter what I set it to, my player will only play it short to a waiting player when I did not set any player to come get the ball.

Also, I noticed that the AI never mark the player receiving the throw-in and instead all crowd inside the penalty box. This allows my player to get the ball and make a run towards the Opponents penalty area unopposed.

Is there any post describing the actual effects of team + player shouts? I find the descriptions somewhat insufficient. "Retain possession" for example. How is it different from a slower tempo + short passing ? Does it lower through balls or not? The same goes for almost all shouts

I have read through the post regarding the different roles but cant quite get the difference between DLF-S and F9.

Does the F9 drop deeper into the midfield than DLF-S? Or is the DLF something of a middle thing between F9 and Trequartista?

I've only used a F9 with a youngster I'm giving some game time too, so take the following with a pinch of salt (i.e. his mental attributes aren't high yet, so what I'm about to describe could be because of that rather than an intrinsic variation in the role). In addition, I've only used an F9 as a sole striker, rather than as a partnership. With those caveats, I've found a F9 drops significantly deeper towards midfield than a DLF, and the attacking midfielders (including wide players) tend to go past him into the space he vacates - more so than with a DLF.

I suspect a DLF is a better option if you're playing two up front, since he can provide the link between your midfield and the other forward (assuming an attacking role), while the F9 is a better option with just one up front, since he's only linking to the midfield.

Guys,

I have a pretty solid base tactic now, and considering I have the best squad in the league it allows me to pretty much fly through the season without having to adapt beyond the occasional change in strategy (attack to control mostly).

I do however struggle sometimes against teams that are happy to draw from the kick off, in particular away and do so by just passing the ball around their midfielders, defenders and keeper constantly.

I play a 4-1-4-1 with the following midfield setup:

WM(a)- AP(s)- CM(a) -WM(a) - WMs told to get further forward

DM(d)

strategy attack, hassle opponents as default, no other dline or defending altering measures except telling my DM to ease off tackles.

Against these deep teams, I just can'T get my team to push up and put pressure at the opposing midfielders and defense lines. I'm not using OIs since tbh I never noticed a difference in the way the game plays out with them.

How do I get my team to actually be more aggressive with their positioning to cut off passing lanes for their midfielders and defenders and press these guys rather than having my midfielders walk slowly towards them.

as said, I'm fine in most matches, but against teams playing deep possession ball I'm lucky to come away with a 1-0 victory (unless the other team feels that's not a good result, and most of these teams will actually not start coming at me even when 1-0 down. And if they do the same issue persists, just higher up the pitch.

What I notices is that my team as a whole retreats too much. It still happens with much higher defensive line selected. What's driving me almost insane is that even these ultra defensive team find a way to keep their front 3 in a positon to force my GK to hoof it long, so any advice about how to effectively press, which starts with ensuring my players are setting up their base position in proximity to where the opp players position isl, would be much appreciated.

Hi Guys

Instead of starting a thread on the following I thought I would post in this one and was hoping for some advice on a few questions/issues

Very briefly Ive been playing FM/CM since the very first addition, last year I struggled and this year well in my 3 attempts so far the longest I have last is about 8 months and that was only because the board couldn't afford to sack me! Im definitely not any sort of tactical whizz although I would like to think Ive got a decent understanding of football, so where is it all going wrong? Ive read over the last year or so a hell of a lot of the guides on here which whilst I find fascinating to read, clearly aren't helping me too much when I put the ideas into practice.

* - One of the first things I find when starting a game is that the players very quickly don't want to play for me. They don't listen to me, when they do come and talk to me I upset them etc etc. Whenever I start a new game I start on automatic rep, could this be my first mistake? especially when taking over a top tier side. Do most of you having success start as an ex-international? I know this is not strictly tactics and training but something is stopping these players from playing for me.

* - As soon as I start with a team I analyse the squad and from their decide what tactics I should play. Im very flexible with this. For example I started a save with Preston and straight away realized Kevin Davies was too good for the division so decided that 4-4-2 would be my chosen way to incorporate him. I also had decent wingers. I then also set up a 4-2-3-1 as this is a formation that makes sense to me and I also chose a 3 at the back system as a back up. One of these would have been fluid attacking (the 4-4-2), one rigid Control (probably the 4-2-3-1) and one balanced counter (3-5-2). Is this a total error of my ways. Should I instead just set up one set of tactics, or 3 sets of the same formation with different player roles, or maybe 3 sets of the same formation with different playing styles or am right to set up 3 completely different formations. arrrgggghhhhhh im annoying myself writing this as im so clueless.

* - Once ive set up my chosen way to play I obviously play a few pre-season matches and every thing seems to be in order. I will smash a couple of non league teams and think to myself at last Ive cracked it my team are playing so beautifully, treat the wife and kids to some take-away to watch in front of X-Factor so I can start marching up the league in peace. 3 games into the season proper Ive lost 4-1 at home, 3-0 away and flucked a 0-0. My team is getting absolutely battered al over the place. This is the time I start deleting learned tactics and start creating new ones. In my previos mentioned now deleted Preston save I think by the end of it, (about 45 games) I had created about 7 different tactics. I know this a big no no, but the question is should I not just be persevering with my tactics making little adjustments or if ive just been smashed twice in a row against teams I should be getting results against (and im not just talking score but getting smashed in every department) should I then be going back to the drawing board.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can offer me a few words of wisdom. Im not and never will be a massive tactics man, im guessing you can have great success in the game creating a tactic and the not doing too much with it, a few little tweaks here and there maybe depending on opposition. I just want to be average at this game but im not. Please help

Hi Guys

Instead of starting a thread on the following I thought I would post in this one and was hoping for some advice on a few questions/issues

Very briefly Ive been playing FM/CM since the very first addition, last year I struggled and this year well in my 3 attempts so far the longest I have last is about 8 months and that was only because the board couldn't afford to sack me! Im definitely not any sort of tactical whizz although I would like to think Ive got a decent understanding of football, so where is it all going wrong? Ive read over the last year or so a hell of a lot of the guides on here which whilst I find fascinating to read, clearly aren't helping me too much when I put the ideas into practice.

* - One of the first things I find when starting a game is that the players very quickly don't want to play for me. They don't listen to me, when they do come and talk to me I upset them etc etc. Whenever I start a new game I start on automatic rep, could this be my first mistake? especially when taking over a top tier side. Do most of you having success start as an ex-international? I know this is not strictly tactics and training but something is stopping these players from playing for me.

* - As soon as I start with a team I analyse the squad and from their decide what tactics I should play. Im very flexible with this. For example I started a save with Preston and straight away realized Kevin Davies was too good for the division so decided that 4-4-2 would be my chosen way to incorporate him. I also had decent wingers. I then also set up a 4-2-3-1 as this is a formation that makes sense to me and I also chose a 3 at the back system as a back up. One of these would have been fluid attacking (the 4-4-2), one rigid Control (probably the 4-2-3-1) and one balanced counter (3-5-2). Is this a total error of my ways. Should I instead just set up one set of tactics, or 3 sets of the same formation with different player roles, or maybe 3 sets of the same formation with different playing styles or am right to set up 3 completely different formations. arrrgggghhhhhh im annoying myself writing this as im so clueless.

* - Once ive set up my chosen way to play I obviously play a few pre-season matches and every thing seems to be in order. I will smash a couple of non league teams and think to myself at last Ive cracked it my team are playing so beautifully, treat the wife and kids to some take-away to watch in front of X-Factor so I can start marching up the league in peace. 3 games into the season proper Ive lost 4-1 at home, 3-0 away and flucked a 0-0. My team is getting absolutely battered al over the place. This is the time I start deleting learned tactics and start creating new ones. In my previos mentioned now deleted Preston save I think by the end of it, (about 45 games) I had created about 7 different tactics. I know this a big no no, but the question is should I not just be persevering with my tactics making little adjustments or if ive just been smashed twice in a row against teams I should be getting results against (and im not just talking score but getting smashed in every department) should I then be going back to the drawing board.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can offer me a few words of wisdom. Im not and never will be a massive tactics man, im guessing you can have great success in the game creating a tactic and the not doing too much with it, a few little tweaks here and there maybe depending on opposition. I just want to be average at this game but im not. Please help

1. The starting reputation helps a lot with the problems you talk about, but there seems to be a "bedding-in period" regardless of reputation; you need to build up a relationship with each player and this becomes more difficult the less respected you are. Automatic sets your reputation to suitable for Skrill N/S if you have this loaded.

2. I normally have three variations of the same tactic loaded. An attacking, a counter and one ultradefensive.

3. Yes a tactic that "works" will not make your players behave totally moronic. What I sometimes do when I create a tactic is to turn off autosave and holiday (with instructions to use my tactic) until November or something. If you come back from your holiday and are placed as high or higher than expected and the results seem fine, you can assume that the tactic is sensible. Friendlies aren't really that useful to determine this...

3. Yes a tactic that "works" will not make your players behave totally moronic. What I sometimes do when I create a tactic is to turn off autosave and holiday (with instructions to use my tactic) until November or something. If you come back from your holiday and are placed as high or higher than expected and the results seem fine, you can assume that the tactic is sensible. Friendlies aren't really that useful to determine this...

Or that the assistant is good at reacting and adapting to things that happen in the game. He'll do this and alter things regardless of how good/bad the tactic is. So it really doesn't give you an idea of how good a tactic is, it gives you a false security.

Or that the assistant is good at reacting and adapting to things that happen in the game. He'll do this and alter things regardless of how good/bad the tactic is. So it really doesn't give you an idea of how good a tactic is, it gives you a false security.

Yes there is no guarantee, of course. Generally, though, the human user is better at that adaptation than the assistant. More creative and a bigger tool-box. Doing it this way is time-saving (and frustration-saving) and one of the net results of doing so is that you don't swap tactics after a couple of bad results in the beginning, which I am pretty sure is a very bad idea. One of the reasons it is a bad idea is that a poor start is probably going to affect confidence and thus the next few performances regardless of tactics. Loss of tactical familiarity is another.

Oh I have a question regarding tactical familiarity and the use of the Tactics Only match training; apart from helping learning the tactic quicker, what does Tactics Only do in-match?

how do you get your assistant to use your tactics (or at least formation) anyway. When I go on holiday, the assman uses whatever he wishes (for me 4-1-2-1-2, narrow diamond, which maes a lot of sense with guys like Ribéry, Robben, Shaqiri, Müller and Schürrle on the squad....

I'm playing with HSV and I have a little problem with my regens. None of my regens, who i get in march 2014 had ever played any game in my u-19 team. I'm now in february 2015 and my u-19 manager plays with "grey" players. What is wrong? It's really strange because two of my regens are playing in u-19 national team. All of my youngsters are born in 1998 so I don't think they're to young. Is there any possibility to force u-19 manager to give them a chance?

i'm playing chelsea

and i got lewandoski

anyone can tell me why my striker won't score so often? newcastle cisses scored an average of 1goals/game for the epl

gnW8ZzG.png

instructions are

pass shorter/direct, work ball into box, play out of defense, pass to space

hassle opponent, mark tighter, push higher up, more expressive, roam

is it because there's too many instructions?

normally i have lots of shots but my players can't finish and it will either shoot out or to the keeper

I'm playing with HSV and I have a little problem with my regens. None of my regens, who i get in march 2014 had ever played any game in my u-19 team. I'm now in february 2015 and my u-19 manager plays with "grey" players. What is wrong? It's really strange because two of my regens are playing in u-19 national team. All of my youngsters are born in 1998 so I don't think they're to young. Is there any possibility to force u-19 manager to give them a chance?

Have you signed these players to contracts?

How does Player Development work in FMC?

You can train positions by playing - does it work similar with roles (=attributes)? Let's say I have a great goalkeeping talent, which I want to become a sweeper keeper. Yet, his sweeper attributes are quite poor. Do they improve by playing him as a sweeper keeper or doesn't the role have any impact?

If I set my training to Tactic - do my players only train tactics or is it like in 'full FM', where it's just a focus?

Thanks in advance,

Tery

8qux.png

yQqBm1I.png

wygtbao.png

I just can't seem to convert my chances. The possession I can deal with, I mean it's not as though I got dominated and drew...

Playing with this tactic, 6 team instructions, the 2 you can't see are more direct passing and hassle opponents.

k9ZaaRa.png

Was playing a CM in defence but he had a good game. Their goal wasn't his fault or anything.

E: My defence has been fine. I'm unbeaten in 15 games and 10 of those I've won but only by 1 goal. I've only conceded 7 goals during this run.

A few quick questions regarding 4231 Deep (and narrow)...

1. Is this a suitable tactic to play Very Rigid/Rigid with a Mentality set to Counter?

Ideally I would like the ball won back quickly and for the transitions to be just as quick.

However, would having the mentioned fluidity create too much of a gap between the dm's and the att mids? Would Balanced be the better option (or even, Fluid/V.Fluid)?

2. Is a 4231 Deep a suitable tactic for Counter i.e. with a lot of my players higher up the pitch if they miss the opportunity to win the ball back, does the 2 dm's and cb's offer enough to get the ball back and back to my CAM? I realise this one is a bit more subjective so any thoughts on it would be great.

Haven't actually created the tactic yet but I’ve nothing to do in work for the next week and I’m trying to think up how I want my Rangers team to develop over the next few years.

Thanks

Ally

hey guys there is something very annoying, i have a sace with dortmund with 2 basic tactic one classic 4231 and a 4-1dm-4-1 which both worked great for the start of the season but then just collapsed! i cant get it. this happens alot in my saves but i just cant get what im doing wrong

hey guys there is something very annoying, i have a sace with dortmund with 2 basic tactic one classic 4231 and a 4-1dm-4-1 which both worked great for the start of the season but then just collapsed! i cant get it. this happens alot in my saves but i just cant get what im doing wrong

Nobody will be able to help unless you specify what exactly you think is going wrong.....

Nobody will be able to help unless you specify what exactly you think is going wrong.....

you know its not clear do you? :p lets have a little debate then..: what can go wrong with a tactic? player moved very good created chances, no concededs in 10 games and then it started being bad. attacing was the first part they didnt do any good

and Reus who played well in his unfamiliar widemiddlefield position (with taking up to inside forward in the midgame wich did wonders) stopped to anything. umm Mekhitaryian was also bad.

I dont really know maybe my tactic wich was rigid\counter wasnt gooad actully? you want a picture of it? maybe I didnt do good in keeping players on their high performance?

what are your ideas? I tried solustions as tweaks new tacitcs and so on.

I dont really know maybe my tactic wich was rigid\counter wasnt gooad actully? you want a picture of it? maybe I didnt do good in keeping players on their high performance?

Start a new thread with images of your set up (include Team Instructions and any Player Instructions).

Also include your fixture list so we can see what results you had against which teams, and the current league table in your game.

Another quick one if i coulod be so bold....errr

Anyway, any advice on what the best way of telling the difference between your tactic and ideas not working because they're mince to them not working because the team isn't used to it (tactic fluidilty) or the team isn't gelled yet?

Thanks

Ally

Sorry if this has already been raised.

Am i right in assuming that the higher/lower tempo settings affect the speed my team attempt to play at while in possession, not out of possession?

Thats certainly how the explanation of the settings read to me in the TC.

Thanks in advance.

Yep, higher tempo will make your players make a decision with the ball quicker and move the ball around at a higher pace.

hey guys i have two question:

what is the diference between run wide with ball and stay wider ??

and what means in team instructions run at defence ?

Stay wider = without the ball

Run wide with the ball = with the ball

(That's how I read it anyway)

Run at defence tells players to dribble with the ball more often when they have it

Im playing a 4-DM-3-2. 2 Wingbacks, 1 poacher.

I'm looking to play through balls in behind the defense, but I have a couple of questions.

Would it be better for my midfield 3 to mainly consist of:

Technically gifted players - Xavi is a great example. When he has the ball he has the ability to slot passes wherever he wants.

Well-rounded players. Paul Pogba is a quick example here. He is not as technically gifted as Xavi, but I feel if he has lots of 15's, especially in places like tackling, positioning, strength etc, rather than a select few 20's like Xavi, he has the ability to win the ball back high up the pitch, and use his poorer passing ability to hit the ball behind.

Which would get more through balls? Now Xavi would only get the ball if someone gives it to him, whereas Pogba can get it himself, but I believe given an equal amount of through ball attempts, Xavi would create more chances. It's a tough call.

I'm currently playing with 1 Pogba type and 2 Xavi types surrounding him. I'm very tempted by the idea of 3 Pogba types, all winning the ball back high up and launching passes behind. However, I know this approach has its drawbacks. Playing more technically gifted teams, they will pass it around me or god forbid, go wide. I'm also probably going to need more chances with the ball, and that could again get problematic against the tougher teams.

I've tried the 3 Xavi types, and found that without any battler, often my midfield gets bypassed, as they simply cannot do not have the positioning, tackling or strength to get the ball from the other team before it is past them.

Any thoughts?

Is the team instruction Stand Off Opponents more suited to counter attacking tactics? I play a 4-3-1-2 Balanced - Control with Parma and I am conceding a lot of goals mainly through balls or long passes over the top, my team is pretty slow especially my defence so I selected Stand Off Opponents and it has seemed to have cut down the amount of clear cut chances against me but I seem to get dominated in every game.

I have only used this instruction in 4 games so obviously my tactical levels aren't full now but I was wondering can this instruction be effective with my formation, or would I be wasting my time letting it get to fluid to see if it improves me getting dominated so much. I don't have much experience with this instruction so any advice appreciated.

Cheers.

Is the team instruction Stand Off Opponents more suited to counter attacking tactics? I play a 4-3-1-2 Balanced - Control with Parma and I am conceding a lot of goals mainly through balls or long passes over the top, my team is pretty slow especially my defence so I selected Stand Off Opponents and it has seemed to have cut down the amount of clear cut chances against me but I seem to get dominated in every game.

You're thinking on the right lines. Counter-attack means you allow the opposition a lot of possession in their half and you stand off to ensure your defenders are in the right positions to cut out through balls. If you press and lose shape, gaps ppear for through balls to fins strikers running through your defence. If you go for Control, you dominate possession and really need to hold a high D-line. Control with high D-line, slow defenders and no pressing is precisely the tactic AVB emplyoed with Spurs that has led to his sacking.

So, for me, Control needs a high D-line, quick defenders and hassling all over the pitch. If your defenders are slow, Defend/Counter are better strategies.

What attributes are needed for a team wanting to play a possession based game, passing is an obvious but what other attributes are key for this style of play?

Composure, technique, decisions are amongst the vital ones.

How does everyone setup for corners? I am having a real problem with them. It may be that I don't have enough good headers of the ball etc, but I am finding two types of goals. Direct from a corner headers and also the ones that we win first, but then they scre on the rebound, even though there might be 4 players around the ball. Anyone else having the issue or have I just bought flimsy players?

Also, I am finding the oppostion assists are coming from the wings, but most of the assists are down as passes not crosses. What do I do? I play complete wingbacks in a 4-1-3-2.

Thanks

You're thinking on the right lines. Counter-attack means you allow the opposition a lot of possession in their half and you stand off to ensure your defenders are in the right positions to cut out through balls. If you press and lose shape, gaps ppear for through balls to fins strikers running through your defence. If you go for Control, you dominate possession and really need to hold a high D-line. Control with high D-line, slow defenders and no pressing is precisely the tactic AVB emplyoed with Spurs that has led to his sacking.

So, for me, Control needs a high D-line, quick defenders and hassling all over the pitch. If your defenders are slow, Defend/Counter are better strategies.

Thanks mate, makes more sense now.