Quickfire Questions and Answers Thread (Tactic and Training Questions Only)

• Replies 17.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi wwfan, I've got a question about your teaser thread number 1.

You mention creative freedom a lot in the build up, and say that the Mourinho would benefit more from restricting creative freedom and the opposite is true for the Ferguson style. Would you suggest keeping creative freedom at similar levels to the mentality of the players? Or just restrict it quite heavily apart from the 'playmaker' style players in your attack such as the wingers, or a continental style number 10 player?

Also do individual player instructions completely override team instructions now? Or will the team instructions still have a bit of an effect? If they do should I just be trying to set them as around about the average for the team?

Guest bergk4mp
Stupid Question - On the tactics screen each player has a Green dot next to them, what does this mean?

If it's all green it's all good. The green dot means that this is the players natural position, try moving them into unfamilliar positions and you'll see the coulour of the dot change accordingly.

Ok, I just need to clear something here. If a team plays thru the middle but has width on very wide, how will the team play? Do they still play as through the middle often as when the team plays narrow? Does playing with extra width conflict with playing thru the middle? Can someone explain thanks.

I have a stupid question - ive been using a 4-1-3-2 tactic with great success right up to mid November in FM 09. All of a sudden, my play has turned to crap and i have no idea why. Can't keep the ball or create anything anymore, run of 6 games with only one win now. I am used to the AI 'cracking tactics' about halfway through the season in other FM versions, does anyone think it is likely this happens a lot quicker/more often in this version?? Or i am perhaps overlooking other things, ie training/media etc. Or a combination of everything.

To be honest i quite like the fact that i am getting challenged, it should make the game that much more difficult as whilst formations IRL dont change that often, tactics from game to game certainly do - adds to the realism i feel.

Just a little frustrating figuring out what exactly to change to get back on a winning streak - a little of everything or a lot of one thing??

How in the **** can a DC with 5 Pace, 3 Acc, clearly outrun my 11 Pace, 10 Acc striker every ****ing time when they are chasing the ball, if they both have about 85% energy? This game is getting more and more crap.

And no it's about Aggression, or some other ****, cause they are not shoulder-to-shoulder, or anything, just a simple, linear line of running.

I have a stupid question - ive been using a 4-1-3-2 tactic with great success right up to mid November in FM 09. All of a sudden, my play has turned to crap and i have no idea why. Can't keep the ball or create anything anymore, run of 6 games with only one win now. I am used to the AI 'cracking tactics' about halfway through the season in other FM versions, does anyone think it is likely this happens a lot quicker/more often in this version?? Or i am perhaps overlooking other things, ie training/media etc. Or a combination of everything.

To be honest i quite like the fact that i am getting challenged, it should make the game that much more difficult as whilst formations IRL dont change that often, tactics from game to game certainly do - adds to the realism i feel.

Just a little frustrating figuring out what exactly to change to get back on a winning streak - a little of everything or a lot of one thing??

The AI doesn't crack tactics. I just reacts to form. One issue will be that the AI is trying not to lose against you, rather than beat you, which requires a different tactical approach. It also sounds to me like you are coming foul of the weather. Are you playing a short-passing game? IF so, increase the pass length until the weather starts improving again.

Ok, I just need to clear something here. If a team plays thru the middle but has width on very wide, how will the team play? Do they still play as through the middle often as when the team plays narrow? Does playing with extra width conflict with playing thru the middle? Can someone explain thanks.

I think it can be quite effective on wide pitches, as there is a lot of space to exploit down the middle. Less so on narrow ones.

How do you get some good youngsters with high PA when you get a new batch of youngsters at the start of every season? Is it down to the quality of your scouts or is this possible at all?

It relates to your scouting network and training facilities. The better both are, the more chance of a decent player.

Hi. My ass. man tells me there is too big a gap between defence and midfield AND too big a gap between midfield and attack. I know you can set the slider to alter depth of the defence but how do you solve the problem of there being too big a gap?

No more than 8 notches of mentality between the most attacking and defensive player. read the frameworks post in Tactical Theorems and Frameworks for further information.

You mention creative freedom a lot in the build up, and say that the Mourinho would benefit more from restricting creative freedom and the opposite is true for the Ferguson style. Would you suggest keeping creative freedom at similar levels to the mentality of the players? Or just restrict it quite heavily apart from the 'playmaker' style players in your attack such as the wingers, or a continental style number 10 player?

Also do individual player instructions completely override team instructions now? Or will the team instructions still have a bit of an effect? If they do should I just be trying to set them as around about the average for the team?

Creative freedom is down the the manager. I tend to apply it to certain positions. Others apply it to players with high flair and decisions, for example. Individual totally overrides team.

Are pass backs to the keeper from the opposition half normal? Occasionally ignoring the free defenders between?

They can happen to preserve possession when a player is under pressure.

@ Thrasher: Can you tone down the language please. This thread is here to help everybody, not to vent it.

right i need some help ive read the full 50 pages of the TT&F 09 and im probably just being thick as i tried to get a tactic going from it failed misrably so went witht he standard ones with a few tweaks, my questions are:

- my strikers are through on goal no one to challenge them but Cisse and Healy (yea im sunderland) hit it straight at the keeper

- my shots ratio is normally 6/7 on target v how ever many goals the opposition scores, played Man City with a 4-8 Shots on target ratio all of theirs went in mine all hit keeper (one on ones)

- The Ai always manages to sheild the ball perfectly from my players.

- ive had whitehead stop in the penalty area as if hes looking for a pass, yet if he shot it would more than likely go in, however he waited till the AI defence got back before blasting it over the bar

- Cisse gets the ball half way line one defender to beat he then goes to the left of the dender turns and runs the width of the pitch :S then turns back and does it again, giving enough time for the AI to get his defense back.

- Wingers cant beat the first man despite having tried it on byline, deep and mixed.

- my crosses always end up middle of the 6 yard box but strikers never anywhere near it.

- long shots rarely but my players are stepping into the opposition half and lashing a shot in (this is by centre mids who are told to pass down the flanks :S)

ive read the Document and understand the whole defense support attack roles yet they dont seem to be doing what i ask (ive even set myself as past international player and im trying to grind results out due to the amount of new players in the sunderland team)

I would also like that question answered. I'm not sure what it means and how I can utilize that.

Basically means running into the areas of the pitch between the full back and centre back as well as drifting out wide into the space left by a full back who pushes on (think Theirry Henry). That's real life. In FM not sure how it manifests itself to be honest as I never really tested it but I would guess players with that PPM would have a higher tendency for directing their off the ball movement into those areas.

Basically means running into the areas of the pitch between the full back and centre back as well as drifting out wide into the space left by a full back who pushes on (think Theirry Henry). That's real life. In FM not sure how it manifests itself to be honest as I never really tested it but I would guess players with that PPM would have a higher tendency for directing their off the ball movement into those areas.

Thanks. It sounds like feeding those players with through balls would make them effective.

What is a Target Man?

I am Canadian so I am not familiar with these terms that you use guys sometimes. Is it basically a Big guy who is essentialy a "target" on crosses or is it in general you want the ball going to them all the time?

Thanks

It can be one of three things:

1: The big guy who wins headers (requires TM supply 'to head')

2: The strong guy with a good first touch who'll hold it up (requires TM supply 'to feet')

3: The fast guy who will sprint onto through balls (requires TM supply 'Run onto Ball')

With a guy who can do all the above, you can supply 'Mixed'.

Guest markl75

Not sure if this has been covered so I'll apologise in advance :D

The problem I'm having is that I'm playing a variation of 4231, but my hole player and striker are constantly swapping roles, it doesn't matter if I keep changing them back round, they'll just revert again.

That aside, I'm in late November, top of the Prem and unbeaten in the league (though results are a little tight), my tactics seem to be working well, it's just this issue is having a negative effect on my AM and ST ratings.

TIA

Current Ability.

Anyone know what an Ass Man needs to be able to take care of team talks and give match feedback? I've tried and tested a few things, costing me a fair few grand in the process (I'm in BSS) - But no Ass Man that I've had has yet given me any In-Game feedback.

Ok, I am with great frequency, conceding ridiculous long range goals. 25, 30, 35 yarders into the top corner rom players that have awful long shot ability.

Its driving me mental. I had a formation and tactic set and working and was doing better than I wanted to be, they all of a sudden I cant beat team in the relelgation zone, or anyone, 5 defeats in a row and consistently letting in crazy long rangers

My mate is having the same issue on our FMO game. He's doing good in the league, but we went back through 10 games worth of goals scored against him (we're 10 games into the season) - and of the 12 he's conceded, 8 of them came from roughly 30 yards or further. Its just not realistic. It makes me wonder if I should put all of my players on long shots.

1) What Stats do you think are acceptable for the English leagues

[Example: 15+ in vital stats for premier league? 13+ for Championship? and so on.]

2) My Assistant manager reccomends me to use certain OI tactics during a match, should i do what he says or should i ignore it as at times it seems to make no sense.

3) My Assistant manager's team report also differs from what i feel is the strongest team i can put out for a game, should i just ignore his advice and play the players i feel are strongest?

4) Aside from Vital Stats, what other high stats do you look for in a player?

[Determination? Decisions?]

what does -10 player potential mean?;u

Basically it means that the player has a random PA which changes every time you start a new game. Players given the value of -10 are meant to have the most potential and their PA will fall between 170 and 200. Players with -9 will be given a PA between the values 150 and 180 and so on.

Current Ability.

Anyone know what an Ass Man needs to be able to take care of team talks and give match feedback? I've tried and tested a few things, costing me a fair few grand in the process (I'm in BSS) - But no Ass Man that I've had has yet given me any In-Game feedback.

Anyone??????

A quick but potentially stupid Q: How do you retrain a player for a new position. Or more specifically given my current situation. How do I get a player who is accomplished/competent or whatever to become natural in that position?

AFAIK, you can't train to natural, only to accomplished.

Alot of my players end up with a fitness at around 60-70% when 90 minutes are up.

a) bad and i need to change (insert solution)?

b) nothing to worry about?

I think what level you're managing at makes a difference in this. For instance if you were Man Utd i might be slightly more worried than if i was a blue square premier team. The only advice i can offer is to try not to play any players who have less than 95% fitness before the game starts and also to lower the intensity of training a bit, particularly in the aerobic and strength areas, during mid season.

Thanks for the quick responce PhroX. That's good to know - and actually is pretty logical now I think about it. How would you set it to train them up to accomplished?

2 ways:

a) Select the player, go to training on the left had bar, select the top option (not atttributes, the other, I can't remember what it's called) and it's in there.

b) Go to training, select positional training, and chose the new position for the player.

As to not training to natural, well, I don't think it's logical. Take for example Henry. When Arsenal picked him up, he was a winger. Now he's unquestionably a natural striker. I don't think every player should be able to be retrained to natural, and I think it should be hard, but I don't think it should be impossible.