Quickfire Questions and Answers Thread (Tactic and Training Questions Only)

• Replies 17.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I tend to struggle in the second season of my saves in FM after dominating in the first. I will not say that the computer has '' learnt '' my tactics but I've gained an understanding that the computer Respects us more so they drop deeper and defend better and counter us etc. . My stupid question is : How can we find more space after they've limited us ?

I tend to struggle in the second season of my saves in FM after dominating in the first. I will not say that the computer has '' learnt '' my tactics but I've gained an understanding that the computer Respects us more so they drop deeper and defend better and counter us etc. . My stupid question is : How can we find more space after they've limited us ?

Pretty complex question, nothing simple about it :)

The underlying principle of this thread deals with your exact question and what I did in almost the same situation you find yourself in.

Check out the stickies at the top of the forum as well, plenty in there that deals with it too.

^^^:D

--------SW--SW-------

--DR---DC-DC-DC-----DL--

-------DM-DM-DM---------

Contain, Very Rigid, Direct, Aggressive, Stick, Disciplined, etc...

...and Prey:D

there are many ways...

Depends on what you want...You want a park the bus tactic for the hole match or for the last minutes?

You have to know though that the ME cant simulate that kind of tactics correctly...

You will spend time creating a good defensive tactic, and you will concede from corners, long shots, penalties, mistakes, crosses, throw ins etc...

I wish there was a stable succesfull tactic like that, i love not to concede.

Question

Tactic 42121 (Flat four, two DMs, one MC, AMR, AML, ST)

Marking Man

Line : 10

Tackling : Normal

Defensive Atts that may affect what i want to ask at an average of 13

Three quick (13) defenders with mediocre defensive atts (13-14), one very aggressive (Kyrgiakos) but slow...

Do i employ offside trap or not?

^^^:D

--------SW--SW-------

--DR---DC-DC-DC-----DL--

-------DM-DM-DM---------

Contain, Very Rigid, Direct, Aggressive, Stick, Disciplined, etc...

...and Prey:D

there are many ways...

Depends on what you want...You want a park the bus tactic for the hole match or for the last minutes?

You have to know though that the ME cant simulate that kind of tactics correctly...

You will spend time creating a good defensive tactic, and you will concede from corners, long shots, penalties, mistakes, crosses, throw ins etc...

I wish there was a stable succesfull tactic like that, i love not to concede.

Question

Tactic 42121 (Flat four, two DMs, one MC, AMR, AML, ST)

Marking Man

Line : 10

Tackling : Normal

Defensive Atts that may affect what i want to ask at an average of 13

Three quick (13) defenders with mediocre defensive atts (13-14), one very aggressive (Kyrgiakos) but slow...

Do i employ offside trap or not?

How do you plan to score goals?

I already using the tactic. But with offside off.

What do you mean?

My DMS have TB often, FR sometimes and Direct (15) Passing

My MC the same but FR often and Move Into Channels.

My Wingers Move Into Channels, Sometimes Run from deep, Often Run with ball, often cross and pass.

My Striker is a quick one. Run onto ball Supply.

Counter On, Mixed Focus.

Employing an offside trap has more to do with teamwork, positioning, anticipation and general smarts than speed.

If you think your guys can work as a unit to make the offside trap work and frustrate the opposition quick striker then go ahead. If not, or your guys have the pace to catch someone who has gotten in behind, then don't use it. Probably the simplest answer.

I know this isnt tactic related but I didnt want to create a brand new thread in the general discussion. Who are Pro Vercilli, somebody mentioned them yesterday and said they are a good team to manage. Why is this? Are they special in some crazy way. Sorry for my complete ignorance ;)

I know this isnt tactic related but I didnt want to create a brand new thread in the general discussion. Who are Pro Vercilli, somebody mentioned them yesterday and said they are a good team to manage. Why is this? Are they special in some crazy way. Sorry for my complete ignorance ;)

Pro Vercelli were a major force in the early years of Italian football, but had since dropped to Serie C1/C2 and it's basically one of those fallen giants games. They were promoted back to Serie B last year, however.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F.C._Pro_Vercelli_1892

Pro Vercelli were a major force in the early years of Italian football, but had since dropped to Serie C1/C2 and it's basically one of those fallen giants games. They were promoted back to Serie B last year, however.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F.C._Pro_Vercelli_1892

Cheers mate :) yeah ive just seen the wiki page, just started a fallen giant game with monaco but if this goes badly might have a go with them. Ive never managed in Italy, might be worth a trip.

Cheers mate :) yeah ive just seen the wiki page, just started a fallen giant game with monaco but if this goes badly might have a go with them. Ive never managed in Italy, might be worth a trip.

No problem. If you do end up in Italy and have any questions just ask and I'll do my best to provide an answer.

No problem. If you do end up in Italy and have any questions just ask and I'll do my best to provide an answer.

Thanks mate, there are no specific rules are there in italy? I thought it was similar to the prem? Also just been reading a blog about Pro Vercilli on FM and he mentions co-ownership deals. How do they work?

Thanks mate, there are no specific rules are there in italy? I thought it was similar to the prem? Also just been reading a blog about Pro Vercilli on FM and he mentions co-ownership deals. How do they work?

2 non-EU players from abroad per year is the main rule in terms of transfers and there is no registration.

Co-ownership is basically that you sell half of a player's playing rights and retain the other half. You can choose which team he stays with during a period of 1 or 2 years after which both teams make an offer and the player goes to the highest bidder (current team if offers are equal). During the period each team can buy the other's 50% share, while a third team would have to negotiate with both to get the player. Useful for limiting risk on transfers as a big team and equally useful for small teams to get some money in without losing the player.

2 non-EU players from abroad per year is the main rule in terms of transfers and there is no registration.

Co-ownership is basically that you sell half of a player's playing rights and retain the other half. You can choose which team he stays with during a period of 1 or 2 years after which both teams make an offer and the player goes to the highest bidder (current team if offers are equal). During the period each team can buy the other's 50% share, while a third team would have to negotiate with both to get the player. Useful for limiting risk on transfers as a big team and equally useful for small teams to get some money in without losing the player.

Certainly, if jimbob has any further questions we'll stick to PM's. :)

Cheers for that, if I have any more questions Ill PM you :)

Sorry cleon :rolleyes:

Employing an offside trap has more to do with teamwork, positioning, anticipation and general smarts than speed.

If you think your guys can work as a unit to make the offside trap work and frustrate the opposition quick striker then go ahead. If not, or your guys have the pace to catch someone who has gotten in behind, then don't use it. Probably the simplest answer.

Is teamwork essencial for offside trap? I'm really advanced in my game and all my defenders are really intelligent but it is very rare to find a central defender with high teamwork.

Is teamwork essencial for offside trap? I'm really advanced in my game and all my defenders are really intelligent but it is very rare to find a central defender with high teamwork.

Yes, so they all know to step up at the same time etc.

• 2 weeks later...

A question about roam from position. If a poacher has 'no' for roam from position, does that meant that he will stay more in the centre area rather than drifting to the flanks as compared to an adv forward?

A question about roam from position. If a poacher has 'no' for roam from position, does that meant that he will stay more in the centre area rather than drifting to the flanks as compared to an adv forward?

Partly. His Wide Play setting will also determine that.

And his creative freedom

Remember if he's a lone striker though then naturally he will drift more than he would when playing with another striker as he'll have more space to cover and play in.

Hi guys, I hope I'm in the right place! Im lookin for a little advice, iv just started my first save with huddersfield and terminated all my staff. I planned on getting in coaches and then setting them attribute specific in the training section, I.e my best tactical coach purely focussing on the tactics and so on, so I would employ around 7 coaches, is this right or wrong? Will I get the best from my staff and players doing this? I only ask as I looked at various teams of different leagues but non seem to have that many coaches, unless you take into account youth coaches aswell, thanks in advance

Hi guys, I hope I'm in the right place! Im lookin for a little advice, iv just started my first save with huddersfield and terminated all my staff. I planned on getting in coaches and then setting them attribute specific in the training section, I.e my best tactical coach purely focussing on the tactics and so on, so I would employ around 7 coaches, is this right or wrong? Will I get the best from my staff and players doing this? I only ask as I looked at various teams of different leagues but non seem to have that many coaches, unless you take into account youth coaches aswell, thanks in advance
The short answer is yes. However, even more is even better if used properly. Have a look at my thread Training the Furious Way or SFraser Backroom Staff threads, much more detail in those on using your staff.

How do you find the heat movement thing-a-majig? I came across it once but can't find it now.

Erm, Im not at my laptop so this will be a little vague, but on the match screen, go onto Analysis I think it is. When there there is a drop down bar which has player movements on. I think its that one :confused:.

Cheers furiousuk, I'll have a proper look when I'm at the pc, also.... Should I leave my assistant (tony coton) to cover all aspects of training, or set him to his highest attribute of goalkeeper duties?

What I do regarding training is I go onto the coaches side of it and click let assistant or what ever it is (not sure but its near the bottom of the screen). That way it gives them all a specific area to focus on based off what their best stats are.

Ok cool I'll have to have a look for that, still finding my way round, theres so many different menus and sub menus its very easy to get lost in!! Haha. Cheers

Yeah tell me about it. Im struggling to remember what things are called so if I can say roughly where it is on the page you might find it when you look.

Cheers furiousuk, I'll have a proper look when I'm at the pc, also.... Should I leave my assistant (tony coton) to cover all aspects of training, or set him to his highest attribute of goalkeeper duties?

I'd say it depends on whether he's got something to offer all aspects of training - if he's a good motivator or man-manager then yes, he should do them all, so long as you have enough staff, you may need him to stick with maximising GK ratings.

In general I have a 'star hero' who just has to maximise star rating - if he's crap at motivating or managing then that's fine because I'm going to have a motivator and a morale guy work with everybody anyway so cumulatively I've got all bases covered. I think I generally have 4 guys in each training category which is a lot to be fair, thats:

Star coach - maximises star rating, usually lowers morale because these guys are hard!

Motivator - works with everyone, keeps em working but lowers morale

Psychologist - works with everyone, helps keep morale high

AssMan - my AssMan is surplus to training so he works with all, helps with relationship building (I think)

I also have Edgar Davids and Jason Dodd floating around my backroom staff. Davids is kept for his knowledge of Holland and because he was a very high rep player (he's probably kept through nostalgia and I should probably get rid really) and Dodd because he just loves the club (I can't say exactly how this benefits in FM but it feels right - if it does anything then it'll keep morale high and boost relationships, particularly between players and the club which means they'll be extra-doubly determined playing for the club). Both fill any vacancies if my staff get poached and both are decent-ish motivators so it doesn't hurt.

Remember if he's a lone striker though then naturally he will drift more than he would when playing with another striker as he'll have more space to cover and play in.

Thanks. If I want my lone striker to create space, ie like drag a defender or 2 away, so that my inside forward/attacking midfielder can cut inside/get into the free space to attack, I should have 'roam from position' checked?

My current setup

Position - Role - Roaming

S - Poacher(Att) - No

AML - Winger(Att) - Yes

AMC - Adv P - Yes

AMR - Winger(Att) - Yes

I would like to change it something like this

S - Adv Forward(Att) - Yes

AML - Winger(Att) - Yes

AMC - Att Mid(Att) - Yes

AMR - Winger(Att) - Yes

or

AML - Winger(Att) - Yes

AMC - Att Mid(Att) - Yes

AMR - Winger(Att) - Yes

AML - Winger(Att) - Yes

AMC - Adv Playmaker(Att) - Yes

AMR - Inside Forward(Att) - Yes

Cheers again furiousuk, I think over the course of the season I will try find a 'star hero' for each atribute, budget permitting! It's funny you talk about davids, on an earlier game I gave ole solsjkaer a coaching roll when he retired, his coaching stats were terrine but he was a legend so couldn't bare letting him go

AML - Winger(Att) - Yes

AMC - Adv Playmaker(Att) - Yes

AMR - Inside Forward(Att) - Yes

That sounds pretty good. You might want a support role for one of those guys, maybe. Probably one of the AM's if you do.

Of course, picking the right players to make that tick is crucial.

Hi I have a problem...I am playing a 4-1-2-2-1 with two inside forwards on the wings. When my striker in a CF (a) position gets the ball I would like my wingers to move in into the opposition box but they seem to be staying wide almost on the same line as the CF. When the inside forwards do have the ball, they cut inside though.

Hi I have a problem...I am playing a 4-1-2-2-1 with two inside forwards on the wings. When my striker in a CF (a) position gets the ball I would like my wingers to move in into the opposition box but they seem to be staying wide almost on the same line as the CF. When the inside forwards do have the ball, they cut inside though.

You can try very high creative freedom, make sure they have roaming ticked and pick inside forwards who are really strikers and see if that helps.

To be honest, they are in the AMR/AML slots because they should stay wide and tuck in late. If you want them more central most of the time have you tried playing with a 3 strikers? You can set it up to play pretty much exactly how you want pretty easily and still retain a good 41221-433 shape.