Quickfire Questions and Answers Thread (Tactic and Training Questions Only)

i have the perfect stupid question, how do you take screen shots so you can put them on the net

Read the FAQ's its explained :)

Yet another stupid question regarding strikers (sorry lads)

If I use Cleons tactics Bible statistics regarding the strikers would that then give me which strikers to play in which position?

If not then.....?

This is really doing my head in as I cannot get my strikers to gel I have the targetman? at one notch lower than the Pacy striker yet my goal ratio is poor

How do you mean?

What do you see when you view a game, are the strikers getting supply? do they link well together, if not then which parts let them down?

I have this young regen with a PA of 180. He is 19 now, and I have Goran Pandev tutoring him at the moment. I'm trying to play him at every opportunity with the first team. Is there anyway that I could burn him out?

Yes he could peak too early. Try and give him as many games as possibly, but unless he is very good in terms of stats maybe restrict him a little more to off the bench apperances for his first proper season with you.

If we take real life teams, look at Arsenal and Man Utd and see how they nurture the younger players. FM kinda works the same way.

• Replies 17.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Cleon, they seem to be getting supply to each other, but the problem seems to be with them linking with each other.

I do not know whether or not just to use the stats you quoted in Sheff Utd project to determine which striker plays where, or is there anything else which determines if a striker has pace ability or heading ability if the stats are close

Cleon, they seem to be getting supply to each other, but the problem seems to be with them linking with each other.

I do not know whether or not just to use the stats you quoted in Sheff Utd project to determine which striker plays where, or is there anything else which determines if a striker has pace ability or heading ability if the stats are close

There are numerous ways, the Sheff Utd project is just my preffered way and what works best for how I want to play. They can play either way though, try my way and see if you like that. If not try the other and see if you can see any benefits/negatives of each one.

There are numerous ways, the Sheff Utd project is just my preffered way and what works best for how I want to play. They can play either way though, try my way and see if you like that. If not try the other and see if you can see any benefits/negatives of each one.

Many thanks Cleon,

My main problem is that as a newbie playing a lower league team (Leeds Utd don't laugh) a lot of strikers will have the same atrributes for finishing, pace & heading & it is a job distinguishing which one will play as a targetman or pacy striker. Any clues to stop me being an idiot!!!!

Many thanks Cleon,

My main problem is that as a newbie playing a lower league team (Leeds Utd don't laugh) a lot of strikers will have the same atrributes for finishing, pace & heading & it is a job distinguishing which one will play as a targetman or pacy striker. Any clues to stop me being an idiot!!!!

To be honest, when that occurs its all trial and error really and seeing which you prefer. Check a players preffered moves see if one is better suited to being the targetman with ones such as 'plays with back to goal' etc.:thup:

To be honest, when that occurs its all trial and error really and seeing which you prefer. Check a players preffered moves see if one is better suited to being the targetman with ones such as 'plays with back to goal' etc.:thup:

Many thanks for your time & patience it is really appreciated.

So, do the "other" stats such as Creativity. Flair for pacy strikers & Anticipation, Technique for Targetmen come into play. What I normally do is take the stats as per Sheff Utd project and which ever one has the best stats for that position e.g pacy striker or targetman I normally stick him there

Many thanks for your time & patience it is really appreciated.

So, do the "other" stats such as Creativity. Flair for pacy strikers & Anticipation, Technique for Targetmen come into play. What I normally do is take the stats as per Sheff Utd project and which ever one has the best stats for that position e.g pacy striker or targetman I normally stick him there

They are bonus ones really, ideally you want good off the ball though. Thats one of the must have for top strikers. View some games and see how its working out:thup:

Thanks Cleon. I'm trying to play him as often as I can. Also, whats the best way to develop a keeper? I have this 18/19 year old, but he wont be near the first team for ages yet, and he wont go to one of my feeder clubs, any ideas?

Play him in friendlies, games that dont matter, cups and even sub apperances helps. Or loan him to a club who'll play him.

Sorry to be a pain in the a**e again, Cleon but I just want some clarification on a point you made earlier.

When I said about other stats such as Creativity etc... you said these were "bonus" ones to look for. Am I reading you right in that first & foremost I should look for Finishing & Pace combined for a Pacy Striker & Finishing & Heading for a Targetman. Because what I have been doing is including all the "stats" mentioned in the Sheff Utd Project and using the player with the best stats in the vital section as my first team player for all positions

Reporting threads. Does this go to the mod specific to the forum? For example, If I report a thread / post in here, does Cleon see it specially, or do all mods see it? I only ask because I could theoretically help him by reporting the threads that are not aboding by the rules, saving him going through them.

Reporting threads. Does this go to the mod specific to the forum? For example, If I report a thread / post in here, does Cleon see it specially, or do all mods see it? I only ask because I could theoretically help him by reporting the threads that are not aboding by the rules, saving him going through them.

All mods see them as we are all global mods. If a thread breaks the rules by all means report it :)

Sorry to be a pain in the a**e again, Cleon but I just want some clarification on a point you made earlier.

When I said about other stats such as Creativity etc... you said these were "bonus" ones to look for. Am I reading you right in that first & foremost I should look for Finishing & Pace combined for a Pacy Striker & Finishing & Heading for a Targetman. Because what I have been doing is including all the "stats" mentioned in the Sheff Utd Project and using the player with the best stats in the vital section as my first team player for all positions

For a fast striker you want, pace, acceleration, off the ball, finishing foremost imo.

For a TM you want strength, heading, OTB above all else.

One final question regarding stats.

Do I take the stats in the order that they are written down as being the most important for that position. e.g Goalkeeper Handling then Reflexes, so if a Goalkeeper has 15 Handling but 10 Reflexes he would be better than someone who has 10 Handling but 15 Reflexes

Ideally you want a decent number for all the important ones. I didn't write them down in any particular order. Although all the 'vital' stats are of equal importance imo. So try and find someone with as many high ones you can.

Ideally you want a decent number for all the important ones. I didn't write them down in any particular order. Although all the 'vital' stats are of equal importance imo. So try and find someone with as many high ones you can.

Thanks Cleon.

Its just that this stats thing is doing my head in!!!

Would it be possible for me to send you a private message if I have any more problems regarding this?

Sorry to be a pain

Yes I have. That and the Sheffield United Project was where I gleamed the little information I have now, and various other threads (perhaps its an age thing with me)

Just one very quick question if Player A (Wingback) has 12 Positioning 12 Tackling 11 Pace 11 Anticipation & 11 Stamina against Player B who has 11 Positioning 11 Tackling but 12 for everything who would you put in your first team and why?

The way I look at it is this Player A has 2 strong stats (Positioning & Tackling)

whereas Player B has 3 strong stats (the last three) so Player B would be in my team.

Is this right

Yes I have. That and the Sheffield United Project was where I gleamed the little information I have now, and various other threads (perhaps its an age thing with me)

Just one very quick question if Player A (Wingback) has 12 Positioning 12 Tackling 11 Pace 11 Anticipation & 11 Stamina against Player B who has 11 Positioning 11 Tackling but 12 for everything who would you put in your first team and why?

The way I look at it is this Player A has 2 strong stats (Positioning & Tackling)

whereas Player B has 3 strong stats (the last three) so Player B would be in my team.

Is this right

Pretty much same as you, the more better stats for the correct position the better.:)

Pretty much same as you, the more better stats for the correct position the better.:)

In that case then when comparing players stats as per the Sheffield United Project (which is fantastic!!!) should I use all the stats listed for comparison (Vital & Other) or just Vital?

You have got the patience of a Saint. (Saint Cleon of FM.) quite good that I think!!!

Many Thanks

In that case then when comparing players stats as per the Sheffield United Project (which is fantastic!!!) should I use all the stats listed for comparison (Vital & Other) or just Vital?

You have got the patience of a Saint. (Saint Cleon of FM.) quite good that I think!!!

Many Thanks

Take the vital stats above all else thats what I do, if they have some of the 'other' stats its a bonus:thup:

Take the vital stats above all else thats what I do, if they have some of the 'other' stats its a bonus:thup:

Many Thanks Cleon

That is what I thought. It just took me ages to work out as I thought the order they were showing was in terms of "importance" for that stat.

Last point my icons do not seem to work, they want to go straight to the thread title.

How can I change this? (Happy smiling face)

Many Thanks Cleon

That is what I thought. It just took me ages to work out as I thought the order they were showing was in terms of "importance" for that stat.

Last point my icons do not seem to work, they want to go straight to the thread title.

How can I change this? (Happy smiling face)

I'm not sure I understand. You mean like smilies etc? If so make sure you are using the proper reply function and not the quick reply at the bottom of the page.

I'm not sure I understand. You mean like smilies etc? If so make sure you are using the proper reply function and not the quick reply at the bottom of the page.

Yes those are the icons I mean

But as you can see they appear at the side of the Title Thread

Yes those are the icons I mean

But as you can see they appear at the side of the Title Thread

Just make sure you add the smiley below the quote or that its positioned exactly where you want it to. It should stay then :)

Ok Cleon.

Have sent a message to the people at the website to see if they have any ideas

Thanks for your help, I will try leaving you alone now!!!

It's cool I don't mind helping if I can :)

I'll probably be getting more active again in the coming months now FML is close to release, so can focus on FM and the tactics again :)

It's cool I don't mind helping if I can :)

I'll probably be getting more active again in the coming months now FML is close to release, so can focus on FM and the tactics again :)

Am really looking forward to FM2009 it looks awesome!!!

Now I am finally getting my head round this game (Not bad for my age!!!), lets hope I understand it in the way you and all the people have helped me in the past

(Jumping Icons Cool HUH)

Why do people ask for or feel the need to download training schedules? Surely it's easy to make a training schedule say for centre backs? It's common sense isn't it? I only say this because I hear people saying they download these training schedules. They don't even seem to be that good to be honest. Is there another purpose to them? To improve fitness and condition?

I did ask this a few months ago, but didn't really receive an answer I understood (or trusted!)

It concerns the affect of coaching. Many times I've read Cleon and others saying you should get as many good coaches as you can afford. But I'm confused as to how their coaching attributes impact on the players they coach.

Let's say you have a coach who is rated 16 at coaching keepers (which isn't bad). You then attract a new coach who is rated, say, 19 at coaching keepers. Do you now get both coaches to coach your keepers, on the basis that that in total it provides coaching of "35". Or does the system not add the two together, but instead takes an average of the two, so that in the example if you used both coaches it would allocate a coaching rating of 17.5, being the average of the two scores - in which case, it would be sensible just to use the best coach.

So the question is, in the above example, is it better to use both coaches or just the best one?

I did ask this a few months ago, but didn't really receive an answer I understood (or trusted!)

It concerns the affect of coaching. Many times I've read Cleon and others saying you should get as many good coaches as you can afford. But I'm confused as to how their coaching attributes impact on the players they coach.

Let's say you have a coach who is rated 16 at coaching keepers (which isn't bad). You then attract a new coach who is rated, say, 19 at coaching keepers. Do you now get both coaches to coach your keepers, on the basis that that in total it provides coaching of "35". Or does the system not add the two together, but instead takes an average of the two, so that in the example if you used both coaches it would allocate a coaching rating of 17.5, being the average of the two scores - in which case, it would be sensible just to use the best coach.

So the question is, in the above example, is it better to use both coaches or just the best one?

When you add coaches you see two possible effects:-

1. The workload will decrease. Whether or not it is a needed decrease depends on how big your squad is.

2. The star rating will change if the combination is significant enough to allow this

In my experience 1 and 2 combined mean one 7 star GK coach is enough.

Should i use players with Low and very low morale?

It's up to you but be wary of picking a team talk relative to their personality. If they are temperamental types you need to be gentle. If things still go badly the FT team talk is very important. Professsional/ambitious type players will react better to a harsher team talk in matches the odds say they should win.

As an example with a Rooney-esque player if his morale is poor and he's performing badly he generally reacts with an increase in morale to his form being criticised. Then go for a 'expect a performance' team talk and see what happens.

If you're not a realism zealot then save the game and have a mess around with player interactions and how they respond to team talks. If you are an ultra-realist then start making notes of how players react.

For example at full time take a screenshot of player morale at the full time team talk page. Pick a team talk and hit confirm, then hit continue to have the game process to the next 'moment'. Got to your squad and compare morale there with the morale in the screenshot you just took. It should give you some insight into player expectations and the impact on morale for team talks relative to match odds, stats, scorelines and individual ratings (how you separate the 4 I haven't a clue).