Quickfire Questions and Answers Thread (Tactic and Training Questions Only)

5 hours ago, saintrainhard said:

What training session that can vastly improve Decision, Passing, Vision, Teamwork, Off the Ball

Decisions, teamwork and off the ball belong to tactical training, which does not mean they are not represented under some other types of sessions as well. Passing and vision can probably be found in some of technical and attacking schedules, but cannot remember in which ones exactly. 

• Replies 17.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

hace 29 minutos, Experienced Defender dijo:

Sorry mate, but for this type of questions you'll need to start your own separate thread. Because it requires deeper analysis of your tactic, which this particular thread is not about. Just start that new topic with this same question and screenshot of your tactic and you'll surely get some help and advice :thup:

Ah, thank you anyways

I did make my own thread before commenting here but sadly it got no attention lol

Just now, VoidVector said:

I did make my own thread before commenting here but sadly it got no attention lol

It will get attention, don't worry. Just be patient. I personally view all threads in this forum asking for tactical help and advice, it's just a matter of time before your turn comes ;)

Could anybody describe ro link me to a website where the different facilities levels are written down?

I have an exceptional youth recruitment at this point but want to check if I can boost it any higher or if I should just invest it in the youth facilities at this point.

I'm a bit confused as to what the reflexes attribute does for goalkeepers. The manual describes it as 'This reflects how good the goalkeeper is at reacting to unpredictable events. If he has a high Reflexes rating, he will have a quicker reaction time to make more difficult saves and will anticipate a better position to make saves in general.'

I have a goalkeeper who has an above average score for reflexes, but a poor attribute for agility, which I think would be the more important attribute which is described as 'Agility reflects how well a player can start, stop, and move in different directions at varying levels of speed (pace). It ties in with the Pace, Acceleration and Balance attributes as they work together in the match engine, especially when a player is running with the ball.'

The way I see it is that a forward takes a shot which takes a deflection. A keeper with a high reflexes attribute can recognise the deflection has happened earlier and knows what he has to do to adjust, then the agility attribute determines if he can actually get to the deflected ball. Have I got this right? Or is the ability to stop the ball all based purely on the reflexes attribute?

Agree or disagree...? "Lower tempo is a much more profitable tweak (to slide/move) which will give you more control in starting an attack then shorter passing". 

After using lower tempo i found out that my team is more conservative in its play which prevents losing the ball easily. Especially when against teams who defends deep, you dont rush them to fast and loose the ball quickly but holding the ball, pass it back (which is an important detail in footall for me), rotate to other side and then find the right time to attack. I have used it also in away games (with for example counter) and passing on default and it felt as a satisfaction for me, as my team was counter attacking minded but not stupidly forwards (or not giving the ball away easily as the players lock their selfs up in play), if it is not possible, they kept the ball, pass it back which creates space in other places.

And I know its something simple for many i think, but wanted to note it here for others. And the funny thing is, i know this aspect IRL as it is a aspect in how i like to play football, but the hard part is always noticing which tactic tweaks does what in the FM game. 

Note* You can use both ofcourse etc. 

I'm on FM19. If I have a 5-man midfield and on the ML spot an Inverted Winger on Attack duty, can my formation hold width on that left flank if I play a Mezzala on support on the LCM spot (my mentality is balanced) with the idea that the two players would interchange? Without a fullback behind the IW - my shape is essentially 3-5-1-1 - my idea is that the IW would naturally hold width better and the Mezzala would interchange and go outside when the IW cuts inside. Would this be how these roles work? 

Edited by Adonalsium

About player development,

Playing lower league football at the moment, and I keep get robbed of my best 18, 19 year old players that are starting to shine in the league.

The main problem is that they are in No-Contract because we are a Semi-Professional team still. So my question is, do players develop better under the "youth contract" or with the "non-contract"?

I understand at some point I will have to sign them into a non-contract so they don't become free agents. But if the difference of development between youth contract and non-contract is not significant, I rather keep them as long as possible under youth contract, so I can get some cash when they are signed, lol.

Thanks in advance for the answers.

27 minutes ago, jordan_ye said:

Question: How SI design a player role? How do they know a real-life player is playing that role?

SI does not "design" players' roles. You as a manager are the one that decides which role you want to play any player in. The game (SI) only tells you which position(s) he can play and which roles within that position they (SI) believe would suit that player to a greater or lesser degree. 

Just now, Experienced Defender said:

SI does not "design" players' roles. You as a manager are the one that decides which role you want to play any player in. The game (SI) only tells you which position(s) he can play and which roles within that position they (SI) believe would suit that player to a greater or lesser degree. 

I see what you are saying but I might need to clarify my question a little bit.

My question is how SI "create" new roles to the game? If they look into players IRL as example, how do they comes up with the idea?

10 hours ago, Adonalsium said:

I'm on FM19. If I have a 5-man midfield and on the ML spot an Inverted Winger on Attack duty, can my formation hold width on that left flank if I play a Mezzala on support on the LCM spot (my mentality is balanced) with the idea that the two players would interchange? Without a fullback behind the IW - my shape is essentially 3-5-1-1 - my idea is that the IW would naturally hold width better and the Mezzala would interchange and go outside when the IW cuts inside. Would this be how these roles work? 

U will see them sort of interchange positions but mezzala will never give u the width that a full back provides since it is by design a central midfield role. Meanwhile ur tactics are like really aggressive and any opposition can easily counter that flank since no players are providing cover but if it works for u then it's fine.

Does more restricted role training do more attribute increase in the highlighted ones or is it equal to training a player to a role requiring more attributes? So for example will training my CB to NCB increase their concentration more over training them as a BPD? Because concentration is equally important in both cases.

On 14/04/2020 at 21:53, Sharkn20 said:

Playing lower league football at the moment, and I keep get robbed of my best 18, 19 year old players that are starting to shine in the league.

The main problem is that they are in No-Contract because we are a Semi-Professional team still. So my question is, do players develop better under the "youth contract" or with the "non-contract"?

I understand at some point I will have to sign them into a non-contract so they don't become free agents. But if the difference of development between youth contract and non-contract is not significant, I rather keep them as long as possible under youth contract, so I can get some cash when they are signed, lol.

Any takers?

Does deploying players in their most effective role, according to the assistant manager report, help with tactical familiarity?

For instance, I want to use Federico Chiesa as a Ramdeutar, but my assistant is saying that he isn’t comfortable to play it (despite having good stats for it... will I suffer of tactical familiarity?

5 hours ago, Luizinho said:

Does deploying players in their most effective role, according to the assistant manager report, help with tactical familiarity?

For instance, I want to use Federico Chiesa as a Ramdeutar, but my assistant is saying that he isn’t comfortable to play it (despite having good stats for it... will I suffer of tactical familiarity?

Tactical familiarity will probably be affected, but if the player has all necessary attributes for the role and the role itself fits nicely into the system as a whole, then the potentially lower level of familiarity should not be a reason for concern. 

Does it make sense (conceptually) at least if I select Counter Press TI and then set my LOE and DL to "Lower?"

My reasoning being that as soon as a team loses the ball they will immediately press the opposition to regain the ball. If they fail to win the ball they will drop back to the Out of Possession Instructions. 

1 hour ago, 3LionsFM said:

Does it make sense (conceptually) at least if I select Counter Press TI and then set my LOE and DL to "Lower?"

My reasoning being that as soon as a team loses the ball they will immediately press the opposition to regain the ball. If they fail to win the ball they will drop back to the Out of Possession Instructions. 

You can use the counter-press regardless of DL/LOE setting if you believe that your players are good enough to execute it successfully. Btw, I would be more worried about setting both DL and LOE to lower than the counter-press in this particular case.

is there any reason why players in the AML and AMR slot don't track back when full backs overlap? I've tried a lot of things, including tighter marking and specific man marking, but I can't get them to defend properly.. 

@KlaaZ it’s not really part of their job, is it? You don’t see AMCs tracking ball too much either. 
It’s why in Cleon’s 4-2-3-1 thread he posits that a “true” 4-2-3-1 would be 2 DM and MR, MC, and ML.

I do agree it can be frustrating, particularly when they’re really close to said overlapping full back and don’t engage in spite of pressing instructions. 

1 hour ago, zlatanera said:

@KlaaZ it’s not really part of their job, is it? You don’t see AMCs tracking ball too much either. 
It’s why in Cleon’s 4-2-3-1 thread he posits that a “true” 4-2-3-1 would be 2 DM and MR, MC, and ML.

I do agree it can be frustrating, particularly when they’re really close to said overlapping full back and don’t engage in spite of pressing instructions. 

I know, I just can't seem to find the right middle ground. When I play them in the AML/AMR slots, I'm very leaky defensively but if I don't, I just can't penetrate the opposition. 

18 hours ago, DimitrisLar said:

is low training rates an indicator of overconfidence? not for players who are not used of course.

Training Rating = happiness + development

If your players are constantly training badly they're either unhappy, or your sessions aren't intense enough for them to develop.

So let me know if I got this right or if I missed anything, but here is my understanding of training in FM19

- it's just there to allow you control what attributes your players learn

- no other attributes will be learned than the ones in training

- it's possible to somehow help create a club DNA by incorporating the proper training

Did I get this right?

Either way, I'd like to get clarification on this because training is never explained to any depth in the game and I have little idea as to what it really does. To what extent do my players learn those attributes I want them to? Is there really any tangible impact from doing training yourself? Does resting matter (putting in "rest" sessions) or should I always just do three recovery sessions in a row if I want a full day of rest or something instead? I'm so baffled why a big feature like this is not explained at all in the game.

Edited by Adonalsium

5 hours ago, interferemadly said:

I instructed my team to take a short corner, but the taker insists in crossing to the box. Why?

Maybe this will be a stupid question on my part, but I still have to ask: have you set someone to offer short option in your attacking corner routines?

1 hour ago, Experienced Defender said:

Maybe this will be a stupid question on my part, but I still have to ask: have you set someone to offer short option in your attacking corner routines?

Yes. In one game, I had like 5 corners. 1 short.

What suggestions to have a higher ball possession playing attacking mentality? Every time I play against defensive teams, which is common in Italy, my team have at most 40% of possession.

11 minutes ago, LucasBR said:

What suggestions to have a higher ball possession playing attacking mentality? Every time I play against defensive teams, which is common in Italy, my team have at most 40% of possession.

Shorter passing 

Play out of defense 

Work ball into box

12 hours ago, mikcheck said:
16 hours ago, mikcheck said:

Hi,

Does training a weaker foot still uses player CA like the previous versions? If so, is it possible to know the amount?

Thanks.

@Experienced Defender do you know the answer to this pls?

I saw your question already, but I am not sure about the right answer because it's not my area of "expertise". I guess it does affect CA, but don't know how much. @Seb Wassell ?

On 16/04/2020 at 11:04, Braincomplexa said:

Does more restricted role training do more attribute increase in the highlighted ones or is it equal to training a player to a role requiring more attributes? So for example will training my CB to NCB increase their concentration more over training them as a BPD? Because concentration is equally important in both cases.

I'll try to answer my own question I guess :D So I'm guessing training NCB allows more time for training concentration compared to BPD thus can increase it more? Am I assuming right about the game mechanics?

1 hour ago, LucasBR said:

I've tried this and my possession is still lower than 45%.

Hold shape 

Lower tempo 

The thing is if you are playing with an attacking mentality you are taking lot of risks so if you want to have possesion you should try TIs that reduces the amount of risks that your players take 

• SI Staff
12 hours ago, Experienced Defender said:

I saw your question already, but I am not sure about the right answer because it's not my area of "expertise". I guess it does affect CA, but don't know how much. @Seb Wassell ?

Short answer, yes.

Long answer, only a bit and it's probably worth it. Players that are not naturally adept with both feet cannot train to become two-footed, they can only raise their weaker foot to a reasonable standard. Having a stronger weak foot does "use" CA, but not much, especially if you are not able to raise it to "strong" or "very strong". Being two-footed, especially the further you get up the pitch, is incredibly useful. I would rather have a Striker with "either" footedness and 16 Finishing than a Striker with "Very Strong/Reasonable" and 17 Finishing. Similarly, I'd take that "Very Strong/Reasonable" with 17 Finishing over a "Very Strong/Weak" and 18 Finishing.

• SI Staff
10 hours ago, interferemadly said:

When a player says he's unhappy with individual training, do you stick with your plan or remove? This unhappiness can affect his development?

Depends on me, depends on the player and depends on the reason. If I reckon I know better, he does what I tell him. If the player is 32 and I'm training his Quickness, which he's telling me is pointless, he's probably right.

• SI Staff
On 14/04/2020 at 08:45, Russiandude said:

1. Does having multiple coaches in one category improve training even if the workload is already light? Assume for a second that the coaches' workload are always light.

2. Which one helps with jadedness more, recovery or rest? Is fatigue = Jadedness?

1. At some point, the workload cannot get lighter no matter how many more coaches you add. Aim for "Light" and 5*.

Note, only the best coach affects the quality, all affect the workload.

2. Fatigue = Jadedness.

"Jaded" is what a player becomes when they are extremely fatigued. Players are building up fatigue all the time under the hood whilst playing/training. They become jaded when this starts affecting them.

As per the in-game UI:

• Rest - Fatigue = Greatly Reduced
  • Recovery - Fatigue = Reduced

(Keep in mind there are other affects too: Rest also recovers Condition quicker but Recovery is better for injuries and maintaining sharpness, etc.)

Fatigue builds up when playing matches (always) and when training (if not well rested). Fatigue reduces with rest and with training (if well rested). In this way, matches always increase fatigue, in-season training increases fatigue and pre-season training reduces or staves off fatigue longer. Exception to watch out for is players that take part in internationals over the summer; just like in reality, they will need more time off before you can throw them back into training as they will not have had time to rest-up fully. Training when already tired will only make the player more tired.

You will not be able to avoid building up fatigue in your players during the season. You will however be able to manage this and offset the negative impacts for longer through proper training management, starting (and essential) with pre-season.

• SI Staff
On 14/04/2020 at 22:45, jordan_ye said:

My question is how SI "create" new roles to the game? If they look into players IRL as example, how do they comes up with the idea?

All roles are based on reality. We look to recreate the roles that real players perform in the real world. When we see something new, or something change, we investigate adding or changing this in game.

In terms of research, each role has specific attributes weighted according to their importance. For example, an Advanced Forward has Pace weighed more heavily than a Target Man does. As researchers, we do not choose the role, but the attributes. We do this by watching the player play (live & remotely) and tracking stats over a long period of time. We then set the attributes to what we believe to be a realistic reflection of that player's abilities and style. The role that the player is "best" in is a reflection of these attributes.

The specific attributes and weightings that make up each role are under constant review across multiple teams within the studio. This process is heavily based on observing reality and attempting to best recreate that with in-game behaviour.

Outside of the match engine, roles are basically just a way of grouping and weighting attributes to describe a certain type of player capable of performing a certain type of job.

Inside the match engine, I'll let @Jack Joyce take over.

• SI Staff
On 14/04/2020 at 21:53, Sharkn20 said:

That would depend on if that gives them more time to train and play.

Development is based on a huge number of factors, but most important amongst these is training and playing. A part-time contract is going to allow considerably less time to do these things than a full-time contract. Take a look at a semi-pro training schedule, on average you'll lose 1 session per day and 3-4 days per week when compared to a professional schedule.

• SI Staff
On 18/04/2020 at 03:10, saintrainhard said:

For mentoring, if we have significant, average and light in 1 group how they influence each other?

Are Significant influence average and light. then average influence other average + light. 

Very roughly, but it won't always be this simple as mentoring is a (powerful) steer on the influence rather than the rule.

3 minutes ago, Seb Wassell said:

All roles are based on reality. We look to recreate the roles that real players perform in the real world. When we see something new, or something change, we investigate adding or changing this in game.

In terms of research, each role has specific attributes weighted according to their importance. For example, an Advanced Forward has Pace weighed more heavily than a Target Man does. As researchers, we do not choose the role, but the attributes. We do this by watching the player play (live & remotely) and tracking stats over a long period of time. We then set the attributes to what we believe to be a realistic reflection of that player's abilities and style. The role that the player is "best" in is a reflection of these attributes.

The specific attributes and weightings that make up each role are under constant review across multiple teams within the studio. This process is heavily based on observing reality and attempting to best recreate that with in-game behaviour.

Outside of the match engine, roles are basically just a way of grouping and weighting attributes to describe a certain type of player capable of performing a certain type of job.

Inside the match engine, I'll let @Jack Joyce take over.

Wow, that is eye-opening. Since I just finished Michael Cox's book The Mixer and he used a bunch of tactical role names as FM, it made me feel interested in the development of those roles. Thank you for the informative response. @Seb Wassell :thup:

• SI Staff
On 16/04/2020 at 11:04, Braincomplexa said:

It's not that simple. In isolation, yes training 4 attributes means each gets less attention than training 2 attributes. But what if the first player trains twice as hard, or benefits from better coaches, or is training attributes that are easier to train, or training attributes that are more naturally inclined to improve, or training attributes that receive better/more training focus from the team schedule, or is simply playing twice as much football, and so on. It is also worth noting that only two levels are shown in-game, "Key" and "Preferred", when under the hood it is much more granular than this.