Quickfire Questions and Answers Thread (Tactic and Training Questions Only)

15 minutes ago, RegistaNoble said:

This is my tactic. Results wise are doing okay however most of our goals are from set-plays. 

Is something here restricting us from attacking in open play?

Sale.png

Mate, you cannot ask this kind of questions in this thread. Please start a separate thread and you will surely get some advice there (including from myself).

• Replies 17.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Building a tactics, style of football and comparing players.

That, what is interesting me in case of building tactics is:

If you have to decide what kind of football you can/would like to play with players you have, first od all you're checking what kind of players you have or you're comparing them to the rest of league? Eg. when I'm lookig in my squad, I see, that I have fast attackers, do counter would be the best ootion. But when I compare them to the other team, they are slow.

Second  thing - screen, where I can compare my team with other teams. To set witch parts of tactic you're using it? Defensive/attacking approach, passing style, height of LoD, LoE? Looking more into formations (def, mif, att) or group of attributes (phy, mental, tech)?

And - in this screen - if my player can play as forward, winger, central midfielder and full back, his attributes will be used to compare all three groups - defenders, midfielders and attackers - am I right?

Thanks and greets! :-)

8 minutes ago, patpul said:

If you have to decide what kind of football you can/would like to play with players you have, first od all you're checking what kind of players you have or you're comparing them to the rest of league?

Don't know about others, but I personally do both. 

47 minutes ago, zindrinho said:

Does anyone have any general tips on how to make your team play through balls behind the defense when I control possession and barrage the enemy's 18yrd box?

I'm playing a variant of the 4-2-3-1, and when I meet defensive 3-5-2 teams or worse with huge slow CBs my team still look for the cross even though I have no chance of winning a header.

play through the middle, pass into space, look for underlaps doesnt really cut it, the best way I've found is 2 strikers PFatt and AF with 2 AMCs in behind , and no wingers or wide men, but it leaves me terribly open at the back when they counter on me which makes it even more frustrating that we dont play through balls in the middle.

I know there isnt much space there anyway but how can I make my team at least try? In the older versions of FM, or possibly CM back then you could have a Target Man, and instructions to pass for him to run onto the ball, but I cant find anything like that here.

I won the game against these guys but that was on mere luck both in attack and defense, with luring them out by playing cautiously and trying to counter, I dont wanna skimp on how we play and we are  coming up on another team set up like them in the next match and could really use some pointers just on playing through balls behind their defensive line.

superdef.jpg

Mate, this type of questions is not for this thread, because it requires more comprehensive analysis and a more complex answer, so you need to start a separate thread. Please do so and you'll surely get some help and advice :thup:

Quick question i didn't know where to ask so here i am, sorry.

Is there any way in the game to prevent a player from leaving the club because of a release clause when he doesn't want to extend his contract (unhappy in the club). No offers yet but it's gonna happen really soon and i would like to know if there's a way to avoid this situation.

5 minutes ago, zindrinho said:

So there isn't a box I can tick hidden away somewhere in the tactics screen that says "play more through balls" ?

You can use the "Take more risks" player instruction if you want to encourage more through balls from certain players.

Team instruction "pass into space" can also help somewhat, although that particular instruction is not exclusively about through balls. 

Just now, Craig002 said:

Is there any way in the game to prevent a player from leaving the club because of a release clause when he doesn't want to extend his contract (unhappy in the club)

I fear not, although someone else could well be more familiar with that particular aspect of the game. So take my answer with a pinch of salt, please.

10 hours ago, Obaaa said:

I set it to low because I have small, quick forwards like the game recommends but they always get played in high.

Low crosses encourage cut backs, meaning it's best to use A) wide roles that cut inside and B) central roles that can run onto cut backs unmarked (e.g. CM-a). If you're using out-and-out wingers, that are encouraged to stay wide at all times, it's impossible for them to consistently send in low crosses, because they're simply too far away.

1 hour ago, mikcheck said:

Hello,

My U-20 and U-18 squads are using the same first team tactics, but I want their coaches to chose what they think its best.

How can I change it? Because under responsabilities, each coach is responsible for their tactics.

resp.thumb.png.b520bd54210cdc6aaaa2143faead9a55.png

just there (sorry for the lousy paint job)

dfjh.thumb.PNG.d3db8f77f6e423fac21c5defc8c80075.PNG

What kind of system would a Trequartista fit in as striker (some examples)? Not sure I fully understand its movement, I know it's a ball magnet and has Ease Of Tackles locked in, but what are some other key characteristics of it? I have a striker that's great creator and am not sure whether to go with a DLF or Treq. I'm trying to play a patient possession style, with a top heavy formation.

9 hours ago, DiStru_ said:

What kind of system would a Trequartista fit in as striker (some examples)? Not sure I fully understand its movement, I know it's a ball magnet and has Ease Of Tackles locked in, but what are some other key characteristics of it? I have a striker that's great creator and am not sure whether to go with a DLF or Treq. I'm trying to play a patient possession style, with a top heavy formation.

Trequartista is an Italian term which roughly translates to a player that operates at the three quarter area of the pitch (think of the area between the penalty area and the midfield line). The player is hard coded to move around in this area to try to find pockets of space and create chances. It is a more creative role rather than a goalscoring one but could also be a goalscorer if the tactic is set up correctly. Real life trequartista is like Francesco totti when AS Roma attacking play is built around him. 

Meanwhile deep lying forward starts from more advanced position and will look to drop deep to hold up the ball and pass to teammates to open up space. It is sort of like a hybrid between target man and false 9.

On 31/03/2020 at 00:19, DiStru_ said:

Defensively speaking, I'd say it has to be a shape system. Since the Tqa virtually doesn't defend it will be hard to press high, especially if you play with a lone striker

My players in the VNN always seem to need rest (orange icon) after a some midweek matches. Does this come with the level I'm at or is there something I can do to combat this? I have a physio, doctor and the best physical trainers I can get.

Anybody know if a coach can see a decrease in their attributes?

Asking because when I signed my new Assistant Manager, he had 4* for his training field (both Defending area), but now after 6 months, he's only on 3.5*?

4 hours ago, quee said:

Anybody know if a coach can see a decrease in their attributes?

Asking because when I signed my new Assistant Manager, he had 4* for his training field (both Defending area), but now after 6 months, he's only on 3.5*?

Absolutely. I had a brilliant coach - Mauro Galvão - who had no coaching qualifications. As I trained him up on his coaching courses over 5 years most of the attributes you'd expect to increase did, but his Motivating dropped by 12 or something absurd.

I've also seen staff slowly gain mental attributes - especially Scout / Director of Football with JPA / JPP.

24 minutes ago, zlatanera said:

Absolutely. I had a brilliant coach - Mauro Galvão - who had no coaching qualifications. As I trained him up on his coaching courses over 5 years most of the attributes you'd expect to increase did, but his Motivating dropped by 12 or something absurd.

I've also seen staff slowly gain mental attributes - especially Scout / Director of Football with JPA / JPP.

They can regain those lost stats? Don't really want to get a new Assistant Manager again :(

11 minutes ago, quee said:

They can regain those lost stats? Don't really want to get a new Assistant Manager again :(

No idea sorry, that was my longest save. Does he look significantly worse? If not I’d just leave it. That half star difference isn’t significant to me - I often build Champions League-winning clubs with no coach rated over 4 star in any category. 

Question about Shove Onto Foot opposition instruction: does using it delay the tackle (player will be focused on forcing the opposition onto a certain foot first and foremost)? I've never actually been sure how to use it, because in theory, why wouldn't you want to shove all wide players and strikers onto their weaker foot? What's the downside of it?

2 hours ago, DiStru_ said:

Question about Shove Onto Foot opposition instruction: does using it delay the tackle (player will be focused on forcing the opposition onto a certain foot first and foremost)?

It does not "delay" the tackle. Your players will act according to instructions when an opposition player enters their area of responsibility. 

2 hours ago, DiStru_ said:

I've never actually been sure how to use it, because in theory, why wouldn't you want to shove all wide players and strikers onto their weaker foot? What's the downside of it?

You don't have to use opposition instructions on all opposition players or positions. In fact, you don't have to use them at all, especially if you are not sure how. OIs work in conjunction with other tactical instructions, so it's impossible to give any general advice on how you should use them. It depends on a number of factors (your overall tactic including the formation, opposition formation, your style of play etc.).

Hi all,

Two questions. Is there any way to know the playing mentality from the assistant manager? Or we can only see that in our own profile?

If the assistant manager is controlling the general training, will he create the training based on  things like my playing mentality and his  preferred tactical/playing style? I believe it's not just some random stuff.

Edited by mikcheck

9 hours ago, Experienced Defender said:

It does not "delay" the tackle. Your players will act according to instructions when an opposition player enters their area of responsibility.

Can you give me an example of when would you personally use Shove Onto Foot OI?

If it doesn't delay the tackle at all, then what is the downside of it and why wouldn't one just shove everyone onto weaker foot? Surely opposition not being able to use their stronger foot can only benefit you?

For example, tight marking and harder tackling have a downside of your player getting skinned/turned or committing a foul. Closing down has a downside of pulling your player out of position. I can't figure out the downside of shoving everyone onto weaker foot though, but I'm sure there's a reason why that shouldn't be done...

50 minutes ago, DiStru_ said:

Can you give me an example of when would you personally use Shove Onto Foot OI?

I usually use the Show onto weaker foot on opposition players with the preferred foot "right only" or "left only", especially if they have the trait "Avoids using weaker foot".

54 minutes ago, DiStru_ said:

If it doesn't delay the tackle at all, then what is the downside of it and why wouldn't one just shove everyone onto weaker foot?

Because a player's weaker foot is not always so weak that he cannot use it successfully.

57 minutes ago, DiStru_ said:

tight marking and harder tackling have a downside of your player getting skinned/turned or committing a foul. Closing down has a downside of pulling your player out of position

As I already said in the previous post, a lot depends on the overall tactical context. Just as team and player instructions (as well as roles and duties) should never be viewed in isolation, so shouldn't the OIs. 

18 horas atrás, mikcheck disse:

If I let my assistant manager or any staff member is controlling the general training, will he create the training based on  things like my playing mentality and his  preferred tactical/playing style? I believe it's not just some random stuff.

@Experienced Defender is it possible to have someone from SI answering this please? Sorry but I don't know their usernames.

Thank you.

Edited by mikcheck

3 hours ago, mikcheck said:
21 hours ago, mikcheck said:

If I let my assistant manager or any staff member is controlling the general training, will he create the training based on  things like my playing mentality and his  preferred tactical/playing style? I believe it's not just some random stuff.

@Experienced Defender is it possible to have someone from SI answering this please? Sorry but I don't know their usernames.

Thank you.

@Seb Wassell is the one that first comes to my mind when it comes to the training section. 

Just now, Experienced Defender said:

And what's the exact question?

Essentially how do I stop the opposition full back and wingers almost always having all the time in the world on the ball or being 2 v 1 against my full back?

17 minutes ago, _mxrky said:

Essentially how do I stop the opposition full back and wingers almost always having all the time in the world on the ball or being 2 v 1 against my full back?

For that kind of question, you'll need to start a separate thread and post a screenshot of your tactic there. Because it's impossible to answer without seeing the whole context of your tactic. 

• SI Staff
12 hours ago, mikcheck said:

Thank you.

9 hours ago, Experienced Defender said:

@Seb Wassell is the one that first comes to my mind when it comes to the training section. 

AM will base training off of your tactics, the time of season, their own preferences and the current circumstances. They will choose from the template schedules for this.

For a new coach, just after retiring, is it better for them to start as a youth coach in order to develop their attributes? u18s > u20s > first team?

Or it doesn't matter if they start with the first team straight away?

Thanks for any input!

@quee I generally look at their Working With Youngsters attribute as it can't be improved through coaching courses. Also if you just start them all in the youth ranks you might find your youth players getting a low standard of coaching for a couple of years, so I like to sprinkle the unqualified coaches throughout the club. For example in my current save Daniele De Rossi is retiring and wants a job coaching the under 18s, but he only has 6 WWY so I'm more likely to bring him into the first team staff, whereas in my Ajax save Huntelaar had 14 WWY so I happily put him in the youth ranks. 

36 minutes ago, zlatanera said:

I generally look at their Working With Youngsters attribute as it can't be improved through coaching courses

Is there another way for it to improve? Time?

Thanks for the detailed reply! I've signed Buffon to the first team coach then :D

4 hours ago, quee said:

Is there another way for it to improve? Time?

Thanks for the detailed reply! I've signed Buffon to the first team coach then :D

I can't say I've notice an improvement in any cases. I did an 'experiment' (if I were an actual scientist I wouldn't dare call it that, not enough rigour or method to it, just screenshots) to see if I could develop my own world class coaching team in my Lyon save. Results are here:

The overall result was inconclusive but the attributes that appear to be absolutely static are Determination, Adaptability and Working With YoungstersMotivating doesn't tend to improve much either, although one coach there saw his fall off a cliff. So those are the ones I focus on when hiring an inexperienced coach now.

(Not sure if this falls under player development, please let me know if I should take this to the General forum)

I'm a bit baffled by this scouting report (and others like it). When it says "potential to be a Premier League player in the future", that sounds pretty good. But the stars and the recommendation is pretty low. What should I pay more attention to?

image.thumb.png.b7a79a3d2f440b4be4511875cfd4663c.png

Also, when does the game use "potential to be a EFL Championship/Premier League player" and when does it use "could improve a lot"?

image.thumb.png.4cd028c0158ba9c65b54d0c20d25c374.png

Edited by dejarik

2 hours ago, JayJay8 said:

how and why my player develop a new trait by mentoring, when I have no mentoring groups?

Probably got that trait from a more influential teammate who already has the trait simply by training alongside him on the training ground. That happens in FM20 and (as far as I know) is not considered a bug. 

What training session that can vastly improve Decision, Passing, Vision, Teamwork, Off the Ball

I look out for what kind attribute to be develop in each training regime but they seem scattered and some attributes all over the place(here and there) thus make me confused to choose what the best session

28 minutes ago, saintrainhard said:

What training session that can vastly improve Decision, Passing, Vision, Teamwork, Off the Ball

I look out for what kind attribute to be develop in each training regime but they seem scattered and some attributes all over the place(here and there) thus make me confused to choose what the best session

May I know which version of FM u are playing right now? I assume u are referring to the new training system but just want to be sure. Off the top of my head I know that individual passing training will improve passing and vision while attacking movement will improve off the ball attribute. If u want an increase in more widespread attributes u will need to look for general training session that focuses on these attributes like teamwork, possession etc. If u are still confused, head over to the tactics training forum. 

1 minute ago, zyfon5 said:

May I know which version of FM u are playing right now? I assume u are referring to the new training system but just want to be sure. Off the top of my head I know that individual passing training will improve passing and vision while attacking movement will improve off the ball attribute. If u want an increase in more widespread attributes u will need to look for general training session that focuses on these attributes like teamwork, possession etc. If u are still confused, head over to the tactics training forum. 

I am playing FM 2019 right now, but I think there are just slight diff from FM19 to FM20 in terms of training regime, already check some of schedule training effect 

General -> Overall and Possession which is pretty make sense, but  1 or 2  days per months ?

Match Prep --> Match tactics & Team work will improve Decision and Teamwork (attribute wise or in term of match cohesion for next match ??)

Attacking --> Attacking Patient cover all the attribute above, while Attacking direct will cover Passing, off the ball and vision

Defending --> Defending Enganged cover all attribute above for attacking unit, maybe using some of Defending Aerial/Wing/ Ground base on opponent style of play (threats)

For attacking and defending maybe use 2 or 3 days with 1st session in attacking, 2nd session for defending

Technical --> Ball distribution cover all attribute except OTB, Chance Creation cover all attribute except Teamwork . I think both schedule is must use every week ( min 1 day)

Tactical --> Attack and Def Shadow might play important role to shape the team tactical familiarity. 1 day every week for this schedule

Extra Curricular --> Team Bonding and Community outreach both improving teamwork (1 day every month while there are session available)

So if I want to make template weekly schedule, which one I should prioritize ? 

38 minutes ago, saintrainhard said:

I am playing FM 2019 right now, but I think there are just slight diff from FM19 to FM20 in terms of training regime, already check some of schedule training effect 

General -> Overall and Possession which is pretty make sense, but  1 or 2  days per months ?

Match Prep --> Match tactics & Team work will improve Decision and Teamwork (attribute wise or in term of match cohesion for next match ??)

Attacking --> Attacking Patient cover all the attribute above, while Attacking direct will cover Passing, off the ball and vision

Defending --> Defending Enganged cover all attribute above for attacking unit, maybe using some of Defending Aerial/Wing/ Ground base on opponent style of play (threats)

For attacking and defending maybe use 2 or 3 days with 1st session in attacking, 2nd session for defending

Technical --> Ball distribution cover all attribute except OTB, Chance Creation cover all attribute except Teamwork . I think both schedule is must use every week ( min 1 day)

Tactical --> Attack and Def Shadow might play important role to shape the team tactical familiarity. 1 day every week for this schedule

Extra Curricular --> Team Bonding and Community outreach both improving teamwork (1 day every month while there are session available)

So if I want to make template weekly schedule, which one I should prioritize ? 

i doubt that there is a sure way to do training so feel free to do what u feel is suitable. i will suggest do match preparation before every match and extra curricular activities should only done when there are new players coming in to help them gel with the team faster

3 hours ago, VoidVector said:

How can I involve my central striker more into the game? He only has 6 goals in his last 20 games, compared to 14 by Young and 12 by McGachie

Sorry mate, but for this type of questions you'll need to start your own separate thread. Because it requires deeper analysis of your tactic, which this particular thread is not about. Just start that new topic with this same question and screenshot of your tactic and you'll surely get some help and advice :thup: