Quickfire Questions and Answers Thread (Tactic and Training Questions Only)

• Replies 17.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

18 hours ago, sidslayer said:

I’ve been using Pellegri as a CF(s) with an IW(a) and a W(a) in a 433. Have left all 3 roles as they are with no PI’s - just what is hard coded to the roles and I’m getting good returns from all 3 players.

I say it’s a 433. It’s technically more a 4123. My 3 midfielders are all on roles with no PI’s at all - even hardcoded. I wanted to create the simplest of tactics to allow my players to use their traits more and not get bogged down with loads of instructions. More of a test to see what would happen really. It’s been a revelation!

Could I ask you what your midfield combination and fullback set up is? I'm interested in what hardcoded roles you've put together.

17 minutes ago, milestobudapest said:

Could I ask you what your midfield combination and fullback set up is? I'm interested in what hardcoded roles you've put together.

I’m using 2 CM(auto) and a DM(s). FB’s are both on WB(auto). I’ve left my 3 in midfield completely alone, they do their thing. WB’s have a few PI’s but can’t remember what atm.

The CM’s and FB’s being on auto are the heartbeat of my tactic, giving me 4 players that define whichever mentality I need. I normally start on cautious and then often find myself using positive, but the flexibility of using (auto), that I haven’t really experimented with before, is really interesting.

My CB’s are both ball players btw, but could equally be anything I think, depending on what you want to achieve.

2 minutes ago, sidslayer said:

I’m using 2 CM(auto) and a DM(s). FB’s are both on WB(auto). I’ve left my 3 in midfield completely alone, they do their thing. WB’s have a few PI’s but can’t remember what atm.

The CM’s and FB’s being on auto are the heartbeat of my tactic, giving me 4 players that define whichever mentality I need. I normally start on cautious and then often find myself using positive, but the flexibility of using (auto), that I haven’t really experimented with before, is really interesting.

My CB’s are both ball players btw, but could equally be anything I think, depending on what you want to achieve.

I have often thought about using Auto but like you, until now, felt a little hesitant. I often manage teams edging european football and look to build them into a world class side, at the start it is always difficult finding a balance between those games you're expected to dominate and those you're often the underdog. This may help!

Edited by milestobudapest

4 minutes ago, milestobudapest said:

I have often thought about using Auto but like you, until now, felt a little hesitant. I often manage teams edging european football and look to build them into a world class side, at the start it is always difficult finding a balance between those games you're expected to dominate and those you're often the underdog. This may help!

I’m using this with Napoli in 2026. We missed out on the league by bloody goal difference season just finished! Was a great season, played this tactic throughout. Have got leading Serie A players in every position.

I took them over in 2025. Was happy with my first season with them :) All be it also gutted. Haha.

Edited by sidslayer

9 minutes ago, sidslayer said:

I’m using this with Napoli in 2026. We missed out on the league by bloody goal difference season just finished! Was a great season, played this tactic throughout. Have got leading Serie A players in every position.

I took them over in 2025. Was happy with my first season with them :) All be it also gutted. Haha.

It's interesting you used cautious with Napoli, I often find sides in the Serie A mostly like to throw 10 men behind the ball haha!

8 minutes ago, milestobudapest said:

It's interesting you used cautious with Napoli, I often find sides in the Serie A mostly like to throw 10 men behind the ball haha!

In all honesty most games I switch to positive after about 10-20 mins. But if we go ahead in the first 20 mins on cautious I’ll often just leave it like that.

What's everyones experience with using IW in both the AMR and RB positions? Currently using it and seemingly works well, one sits in whilst the other goes wide. Is this everyones experience?

How to stop that long balls?? How?? Every game with any kind of formation or tactic, it's still the same: super long ball for super forward and goal. How can we definitely stop it? It's frustrating, I can't stand it anymore, every game is the same, I can play with 3 at the back, 4, with wingers, with high or low defensive line, nothing changes! Even if I play all defensive with very low defensive line, I get those horrible long balls! That's silly!

34 minutes ago, sejo said:

How to stop that long balls?? How?? Every game with any kind of formation or tactic, it's still the same: super long ball for super forward and goal. How can we definitely stop it? It's frustrating, I can't stand it anymore, every game is the same, I can play with 3 at the back, 4, with wingers, with high or low defensive line, nothing changes! Even if I play all defensive with very low defensive line, I get those horrible long balls! That's silly!

Start a separate thread and post a screenshot of the tactic you are currently using. Otherwise we can only speculate.

1. Which option is best when mentoring via "Welcome"? There are almost 4 options, Is there any explantion on them? 

2. Can a "Significant mentor" be injured and still mentor in that group? 

3. Assistant manager is always change mentorings group of players:

- How much should i really pay attention to that? 

- If a change his mentoring group from 1 to 2 and then after some months again put him in 1, Does the mentoring time restart? (I read that it takes up to 6 months to see a change) 

4. My Team leader right now is in "Other" social group, Can he still mentor young players in Core or other social groups? 

5. If players are in same social group, Can mentoring go faster that way? 

6. Does SCOUTS influence Youth intake? If yes, Should we always sign scouts who have in "Working with youngsters"?  

Can anyone recommend how to adapt my counter attacking tactic when I'm playing at home against weaker opposition? Currently I have the following instructions:

Balanced

Counter

Lower LOE

Tight marking

Narrow/wide defence depending on opponents strengths

And the following roles

DLFa

IFs Ws

DLPs CMa

DMd

WBs CDd CDd IWBs

GKd

What I've been doing against weaker teams at home is removing the lower LOE, counter and tight marking and adding more expressive, more tempo and play wider, and turning IFs into IFa and DLPa into DLPs. Sometimes I also switch to positive mentality. I'm struggling to break teams down however. I'm going to try replacing the DLPs with an APs but I'm a bit cautious that will leave me a bit too open. Does anyone have any ideas? 

Edited by KillieDIV

24 minutes ago, KillieDIV said:

Can anyone recommend how to adapt my counter attacking tactic when I'm playing at home against weaker opposition? Currently I have the following instructions:

Balanced

Counter

Lower LOE

Tight marking

Narrow/wide defence depending on opponents strengths

And the following roles

DLFa

IFs Ws

DLPs CMa

DMd

WBs CDd CDd IWBs

GKd

What I've been doing against weaker teams at home is removing the lower LOE, counter and tight marking and adding more expressive, more tempo and play wider, and turning IFs into IFa and DLPa into DLPs. Sometimes I also switch to positive mentality. I'm struggling to break teams down however. I'm going to try replacing the DLPs with an APs but I'm a bit cautious that will leave me a bit too open. Does anyone have any ideas? 

Start a separate thread please, because this one is for quick-fire questions only. Yours does not fall into that category. 

Thanks.

1 hour ago, ferrarinseb said:

How long does a Training session effects match day performance? Say i put 1st session of  1st week in a month on Chance Creation how long does it effect works on the match day? I believe the Match Prep ones are mostly upto the next Match day 

Good question

If i have a player with decent passing and vision (15+), but poor flair (5-9), will his ability to unlock a defence or play a splitting pass be effected? I am currently playing him as a dlp (d) in dm because Im worried he wont have a very big effect around the box.

annoyingly, have two of these in my squad.

2 hours ago, ferrarinseb said:

How long does a Training session effects match day performance? Say i put 1st session of  1st week in a month on Chance Creation how long does it effect works on the match day? I believe the Match Prep ones are mostly upto the next Match day 

It doesn't affect matches directly. It focuses on attributes.

1 hour ago, HUNT3R said:

I thought that but when i played (not the current patch as of yet) I feel that there is small connection. But it might be me thanks for clarification. 

Edited by ferrarinseb

7 hours ago, HUNT3R said:

It was told many times in the past that to improve chance conversion during matches, chance creation and conversion training was king. So you just confirmed that those rumours were false. Thanks.

1 hour ago, Sharkn20 said:

It was told many times in the past that to improve chance conversion during matches, chance creation and conversion training was king. So you just confirmed that those rumours were false. Thanks.

Well, it does indirectly improve the chance conversion probability by targeting relevant attributes. Just as the attacking set piece training improves chances of scoring from a set piece.

2fba78bd7d264571ac8c7d879142af1e.png

Would I be correct in interpreting this instruction to apply such that only the player with the ball will be instructed to run at the opposition more than allowed by default?

Follow up: if that is correct, what are possible ways to invite or instruct the players off the ball to make runs at the opposing area?

11 hours ago, Sharkn20 said:

Will two Match Preparation (attacking movement and tactics i.e.) training stack up for the next match? Or just the last one before the game will count?

Both will count.

50 minutes ago, witticism said:

2fba78bd7d264571ac8c7d879142af1e.png

Would I be correct in interpreting this instruction to apply such that only the player with the ball will be instructed to run at the opposition more than allowed by default?

Follow up: if that is correct, what are possible ways to invite or instruct the players off the ball to make runs at the opposing area?

The instruction and tooltip is referring to dribbling, ie with the ball.

More frequent runs would be through Attack duties mainly, but the chosen roles will also affect it in terms of their set PIs and individual mentality. Get Further Forward can also help.

What's the best support for an enganche? I've had an incredibly promising one come through my youth system and I'm trying to design a tactic to use in cup games to give him a run out. I was thinking of an AFat, Ifsu, Wat to have multiple avenues of attack, with short passing to maximise the enganches time in the ball. Does this sound reasonable? 

Quick question: When you have a medium skill analyst studying next opposition you get a pre match report that shows what style the opponent plays with. This is the only useful information I ever take from these reports - eg if they're route one I might not play a high line, or back off on pressing. However, when you recruit a really good analyst it seems you get a different report with all these bells and whistles but I can't find the key bit of information I want - what style to they play?

So am i missing this - is that info still there somewhere?

Just now, witticism said:

This is a bit open ended as what I am after is other's thoughts more so than a "correct" answer.

What's everyone's thoughts on a high press + cautious mentality?

I think it’s counter intuitive.

I use a cautious mentality but with a lower line of engagement and a standard defensive line. When the ball is in those lines I press like a mad man, looking to counter into the space, theoretically, I’ve created in behind that my lower line of engagement has achieved.

I think a high press, cautiously, will create too much space through the lines and would be easy for the opposition to exploit. I could be wrong.

14 minutes ago, sidslayer said:

I think it’s counter intuitive.

I use a cautious mentality but with a lower line of engagement and a standard defensive line. When the ball is in those lines I press like a mad man, looking to counter into the space, theoretically, I’ve created in behind that my lower line of engagement has achieved.

I think a high press, cautiously, will create too much space through the lines and would be easy for the opposition to exploit. I could be wrong.

This was my initial thought as well, but I was none the less curious to see what other's thoughts were.

I am keen to try and setup something based around those two principles just to see how it works at some point in the future.

Question regarding team fluidity in FM20:

Has it been confirmed that this is simply a label that has no effect ? So the mentality structure of very fluid is identical to very structured for example ?

And follow up question - does everything play as if it was "flexible" on previous versions of FM ?

Question on players being jaded. I'm seeing a sharp increase in this in season 2. It's only December and my main CB has been jaded three times already (he went on holiday each time), and it was just recommended to me to send six players on holiday as they are jaded! 

I have revised my training routine for S2 which has made it a bit harsher, but what is the main cause of Jadedness (if that's a word). Do I need to scale back training and have more rest? Is it more rotation for games (although I do rotate quite a lot anyway I think). My tactic hasn't changed much from S1 (where I had almost no issues on this) so I don't think I'm pushing the players too hard with that.

On a similar note but different question, if you are creating your own training is there a general rule for how much rest sessions a week are needed? And number of physicals? I'm assuming it may be linked to my training so any tips on this appreciated.

4 hours ago, max787 said:

Question regarding team fluidity in FM20:

Has it been confirmed that this is simply a label that has no effect ?

Yes, the same as in FM19. It has an effect merely in telling you what kind of overall shape your setup has taken based on your selection of player duties, but has nothing to do with the "Team shape" from previous versions of FM, which was a separate team instruction back then.

1 hour ago, Robibar, Son of Shonibar said:

Let's say I train a session in Attacking Overlaps before a match. Will my team perform better on the overlap or are the only sessions that are relevant have "Upcoming Match" in their descriptor?

I know that training affects attributes but does it affect playstyle?

Only sessions that state it has effects for the upcoming match, affects the match directly. The Attacking Overlaps session does impact team cohesion and some tactical familiarity, so that's the only real immediate impact on matches.

7 hours ago, zZzZzZzZzZzZzZz said:

You sure? I have a striker with that trait and every header he scores is described as being powerful

I am not 100% sure, but I guess so. Because it wouldn't make sense IMHO if the trait pertained to headers. Maybe the player has good heading attribute?