Jump to content
Sports Interactive Community
wwfan

Quickfire Questions and Answers Thread (Tactic and Training Questions Only)

Recommended Posts

So I'm managing Scarborough in the Vanarama National North and halfway through the season I was top by 7 points. I'm predicted 2nd so I'm not massively out performing what was expected. But all of a sudden I'm not generating any goals - I've not scored in 4 games, which includes games against teams that are 21st and 24th in the VNN. I run into this in every FM and I'm determined to not let it beat me this time so I'm hoping you guys can offer some assistance and guidance on where I can improve or what to look for.

I'm aware the issue is that teams are probably now coming to play me and sitting back defensively and forcing me to break them down but I'm at a loss as to how to go about doing that. My starting tactic is a pretty standard 4231, trying to utilise wide play and a TM in the middle. I also have a 433 which has the same TIs, the thought being that this might create space in different areas or provide more runners from deep which won't be covered by the deep defence (the CMa and BBMs)

These have been successful up to this point, but are obviously not getting the job done any more. Any thoughts on how I can tinker with these to help produce some more goals and wins, or general thoughts on avoiding the second half of the season slump?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Could you please post your tactic as a separate thread because this is a tactic-related issue? I think someone will be of some help for you there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 28/11/2019 at 23:45, Novem9 said:

Who started to use IWB on regular base IRL?

First where I noticed this is Simeone's Atletico but possibly he is not first?

I believe Marcelo Bielsa's Chile team used them, 2007-11

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In my FM20 save with Rangers, I'm finding a lot of my players really struggling to meet their potential, with coaches saying they need more experience at a higher level. Generally in previous games these players would still be able to max out playing in Scottish football, but now it seems there's more of a hard limit due to the relatively low level of opposition. Am I right on this?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Britrock said:

So I'm managing Scarborough in the Vanarama National North and halfway through the season I was top by 7 points. I'm predicted 2nd so I'm not massively out performing what was expected. But all of a sudden I'm not generating any goals - I've not scored in 4 games, which includes games against teams that are 21st and 24th in the VNN. I run into this in every FM and I'm determined to not let it beat me this time so I'm hoping you guys can offer some assistance and guidance on where I can improve or what to look for.

I'm aware the issue is that teams are probably now coming to play me and sitting back defensively and forcing me to break them down but I'm at a loss as to how to go about doing that. My starting tactic is a pretty standard 4231, trying to utilise wide play and a TM in the middle. I also have a 433 which has the same TIs, the thought being that this might create space in different areas or provide more runners from deep which won't be covered by the deep defence (the CMa and BBMs)

These have been successful up to this point, but are obviously not getting the job done any more. Any thoughts on how I can tinker with these to help produce some more goals and wins, or general thoughts on avoiding the second half of the season slump?

This is not a quickfire question, mate. It requires some deeper analysis and a more complex answer. So please start a separate thread and explain your tactical issues there (or simply copy and past your post from here) :thup:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Alright, I'm completely dumbfound about this and it's really ruining my experience.

No matter how I set up the wide free kicks defense, something like this always happens.

3ad3I9G.png

f6RWo3j.png

The #16 on my team is standing outside the bloody box even though you can see that he's set to mark 6NC in the instructions.
I don't like that zonal marking, but if I just put him to go back, then he'll go back with the others and #3 in blue will be completely alone like he is now.
I've tried with all the zonal instructions, tried p utting 4 players into the 6 yard zone, but no matter what player at the near post is always completely alone. And it's almost always a chance against my team.
And as you can see all others are set to go back and that even if I do have 5 players grouped up compared to opponent's 4, noone will take the #3 guy.

When the wide set pieces are deeper and the opposition already sits near the 6 yard box before the shot is taken, the player instructed to mark the edge of the area always just starts running forward after the first header and leaves opponents lurking there wide open if the ball bounces to them.
This is really frustrating.

Edited by GunmaN1905

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, GunmaN1905 said:

3ad3I9G.png

This is an indirect wide free kick. 

 

2 hours ago, GunmaN1905 said:

f6RWo3j.png

Whereas this applies to a direct one with small chance of a shot. Maybe that can explain your confusion?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry, my bad.
I screenshotted the wrong set piece instructions. As you can see, 2 players are in the wall there, only one in the game.
For wide FKs, I had only one man in the wall with STC at 6N and DM at 6FC (#17 on the screenshot, he's in the position).

Point still being that #16 is way out of position and when opponent has a player in the position where blue #3 is, it's always like that.
If opponent has one player in the box who's far away from other player, he's not going to be marked. 6 yard zonal marking players don't mark him, but the area and never try to follow him when he attacks the ball. Players instructed to go back or man mark don't "register" him and noone goes to mark him.
I reset it to default now, without zonal marking and as I said it's fine unless opponent has one player standing alone like that.
Will update tomorrow after I play some more games, because I'm not playing right now.
 

Edited by GunmaN1905

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is it strange that I'm having more success with the "clean slate", and using just a couple (or sometimes even no) team instructions than with all the presets.
First I've tested a couple of careers (both top & LLM) and used the default presets, and I had almost no success.

Clean slate, with a common formation, almost no TI's and a positive mentality seems to do the trick for me with various teams...

I would've expected that choosing the preset & formation that matches your team (according to the AM) would at least make you perform according to the team's season expactations, but many times I was in worse position than what was expected.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, DavyDepuydt1 said:

Is it strange that I'm having more success with the "clean slate", and using just a couple (or sometimes even no) team instructions than with all the presets

It's not strange at all. Quite to the contrary, it absolutely makes sense. The most effective tactics are usually pretty simple - create a logical and balanced setup of roles and duties, and you need just a few basic instructions (sometimes even none at all). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Central Midfielder role; defend duty.

Finding it hard to see players who are natural at this role.  I know that isn't necessarily over important but I wonder why it seems to be a difficult role suitability wise?  Any thoughts?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Robson 07 said:

Central Midfielder role; defend duty.

Finding it hard to see players who are natural at this role.  I know that isn't necessarily over important but I wonder why it seems to be a difficult role suitability wise?  Any thoughts?

It's the same for CM-S & CM-A too! I wouldn't be too put off with role suitability to be honest, those full green circles sure look pretty but target the attributes & PPMs for the player, so long as he rates well in the key attributes he'll be fine. Like, he could have 15's in every key attribute for the CM-D but have 18 in Vision, the game (your ass man?) will say he's more suited to a DLP-D but he'll still be a fantastic CM-D without a full green circle   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Johnny Ace said:

It's the same for CM-S & CM-A too! I wouldn't be too put off with role suitability to be honest, those full green circles sure look pretty but target the attributes & PPMs for the player, so long as he rates well in the key attributes he'll be fine. Like, he could have 15's in every key attribute for the CM-D but have 18 in Vision, the game (your ass man?) will say he's more suited to a DLP-D but he'll still be a fantastic CM-D without a full green circle   

Thanks Johnny and yes occasionally those other duties too.  I'm wondering if it's to do with PPMs?  One or two players seem to have appropriate attributes so maybe the PPM contradicts slightly and is causing the circle to be off-colour? Could that be it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Robson 07 said:

Thanks Johnny and yes occasionally those other duties too.  I'm wondering if it's to do with PPMs?  One or two players seem to have appropriate attributes so maybe the PPM contradicts slightly and is causing the circle to be off-colour? Could that be it?

I don't think PPMs do affect it really, you see player's with the role suitability of a winger but then they the cuts inside PPM or a DLP-S with gets forward whenever possible which contradict the role. I think that's a game negative to be honest but a tough one to implement for SI   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Johnny Ace said:

I don't think PPMs do affect it really, you see player's with the role suitability of a winger but then they the cuts inside PPM or a DLP-S with gets forward whenever possible which contradict the role. I think that's a game negative to be honest but a tough one to implement for SI   

Seb answered this on the page 273 of this thread:

On 28/11/2019 at 23:37, Seb Wassell said:

(some) Suitable/unsuitable Player Traits are taken into account yes, although are only a small component of the whole, most attributes will outweigh them.

Role familiarity > Role suitability for clarity

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm still playing FM19, and I'm having some problems with the individual training.

Despite having everything handle to myself, some individual training still changes and I don't know why. 

Has anyone had this problem? 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi all!

Could you please point me in the right direction to find where is the screen, where you can see the players position, in the defensive andattacking phase of the tactic // match?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sharkn20 said:

Hi all!

Could you please point me in the right direction to find where is the screen, where you can see the players position, in the defensive andattacking phase of the tactic // match?

Have a look at the separate thread you made asking the same question here

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One thing I've been doing recently is praise players for training well. Usually, anyone with a training rating of 8.00+ gets some praise every couple of months.

I've noticed this can improve their Work Rate, but does it improve other stats, too? I was pretty sure it used to increase Determination, but I haven't seen this happen on this year's game. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, kingjericho said:

Is there any difference between a WB/a and a WB/auto when the team mentality is "attacking"? 

As far as I know, WB on automatic duty is more customizable than WB on other duties (including attack).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, kingjericho said:

Is there any difference between a WB/a and a WB/auto when the team mentality is "attacking"? 

 

2 hours ago, Experienced Defender said:

As far as I know, WB on automatic duty is more customizable than WB on other duties (including attack).

I think ED is correct here. From memory WB-Au only has one pre-selected instruction of Run Wide With Ball whereas WB-De, Su, At all have multiple. So if you want the mentality of WB-At in your team but not all the instructions, use WB-Au (on Attacking mentality, obviously). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, kevaggel said:

What is the "warm weather training camp" board request ?

3881cefbe454c03cff4984f902ee4459.png

Its to be used if you have a couple of weeks gap in fixtures, or a winter break. You go into a Training Camp in somewhere 'warm' - in FM19 at least you got given 3 options, usually at least 1 in the Middle East - with the players for somewhere between 6 and 10 days (I think, not 100% on the length) and you can play friendlies sometimes.

 I'd guess it might provide a little boost to Teamwork or team cohesion or something to have them in a training camp, but I've not seen that written anywhere so don't assume it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Any advice or help for raising Team Cohesion?

 

I've tried to start an Aston Villa game a few times; and Team Cohesion constantly seems to improve to "Poor" and stay there for months on end, which of course hits your on pitch performances which affects your morale, which affects your on pitch performances rinse and repeat.

 

i know theres the training catagories for it  but it feels like the gains are miniscule with only 1 or two a week and any more feels like you'll lose out on tactical and technical improvement

 

Edit: Just to save everyone from a second post; A defender who defends wide but then forms up in a back 3 when the team is in possesion. A FB-D with the PI: Sit Narrow or a CD-D (or Equivalent) with PI: Sit Wider?

Edited by Aesorian
Added Another Question

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Aesorian said:

Any advice or help for raising Team Cohesion?

In training schedule add 'game review' after a match, 'team bonding' is also helping.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What would be the best tactic to simply have my players get the ball to my striker, thats it.

 

When defending just sit deep, then hoof it to the striker?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Lashley said:

What would be the best tactic to simply have my players get the ball to my striker, thats it.

 

When defending just sit deep, then hoof it to the striker?

Well, that's a more complex question than it might appear to be on the surface. Basically some mix of hoofball and direct counter, but if you use a preset tactic, then you'll likely need to adapt it to your team. I would go with a 442 with a compact low block, both strikers on attack but in different roles (preferably TMat and PFat or AF), at least one NCB (or even both), maybe a NFB as well, tight midfield etc... The rest would also depend on the mentality you select.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Aesorian said:

Edit: Just to save everyone from a second post; A defender who defends wide but then forms up in a back 3 when the team is in possesion. A FB-D with the PI: Sit Narrow or a CD-D (or Equivalent) with PI: Sit Wider?

Sit Narrower / Stay Wider is an in-possession instruction...contradicting something I put in a tactics thread.

IWB-De might be what you want - check the description to see whether it says he goes into midfield much as I can’t remember. But out of the two options CD with Stay Wider in possession sounds more likely, sounds being optimal here as you’ll need to test things out in the ME. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A quick question on 'ultra attacking'...

Does it hard code players to be more aggressive in terms of when they take shots?

I find that even if I change every player to 'shoot less often' I will still end up with very high numbers of shots but very few 'half chances' and 'clear cut chances' and (what seems to me) to be a high proportion of 'blocked shots'.

Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, BrickCommo23 said:

A quick question on 'ultra attacking'...

Does it hard code players to be more aggressive in terms of when they take shots?

I find that even if I change every player to 'shoot less often' I will still end up with very high numbers of shots but very few 'half chances' and 'clear cut chances' and (what seems to me) to be a high proportion of 'blocked shots'.

Thanks

Kind of yes.  As your Mentality becomes more aggressive your players look to play in a more direct manner in the final third.  So less moving the ball around patiently probing the defence waiting for better quality chances.  In other words quantity of goal attempts over quality of goal attempts.

Other factors can of course get involved such as role/duty selection and various TIs/PIs, but all else being equal this is one of the effects which your selected Mentality can have on your team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If I wanted to try and play similar football to Liverpool, what mentality would you guys say is closest to Klopp's style? 'Positive'? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, herne79 said:

Kind of yes.  As your Mentality becomes more aggressive your players look to play in a more direct manner in the final third.  So less moving the ball around patiently probing the defence waiting for better quality chances.  In other words quantity of goal attempts over quality of goal attempts.

Other factors can of course get involved such as role/duty selection and various TIs/PIs, but all else being equal this is one of the effects which your selected Mentality can have on your team.

Makes sense, thank you 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Quick question like the title says. Assuming no pressing instruction of either team or individual CC-A, CC-S or CC-D put pressure on the ball carrier in their area with the same urgency?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If a player has a particular trait, lets say "runs with the ball down the right" does this mean if he is asked to play inside forward or inverted fullback that he won't be able to cut inside (as per hard code PI for those roles) cause their is  conflict with his natural abilities?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Question on 'Use Offside Trap'...

Never quite sure what the difference or otherwise is between this instruction and your Defensive Line.

I think I am right in saying that if you play a high line but don't ask them to play offside, your defenders will therefore push right up the pitch but will then also track runners back towards their own goal? Whereas with Offside Trap they will push up and then hold their line when runners attack? Very much a risk vs reward approach?

Feels like a high line but not using offside would only work with defenders quick enough to track back?

Secondly...does it become increasingly pointless to use offside trap as you drop your DL back towards your own goal?

Thank you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Robson 07 said:

If a player has a particular trait, lets say "runs with the ball down the right" does this mean if he is asked to play inside forward or inverted fullback that he won't be able to cut inside (as per hard code PI for those roles) cause their is  conflict with his natural abilities?

It means they will do less of the PI than they would otherwise. So, not to say they will 'never' cut inside but they will do it less often than someone without that trait...

So, if that role of PI is vital to your system then it's not ideal...

They're basically 'conflicted' and will do a bit of both.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Experienced Defender said:

Which is good for variety of your play ;)

Also true - just depends how consistently you want them to come inside - or not

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BrickCommo23 said:

Also true - just depends how consistently you want them to come inside - or not

Similar to when you deliberately play a "natural" IF in a winger role. You get a hybrid between the 2 roles.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/12/2019 at 20:24, Gee_Simpson said:

If I wanted to try and play similar football to Liverpool, what mentality would you guys say is closest to Klopp's style? 'Positive'? 

Anyone? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Which assistant manager attributes affects the hardness of their general training schedules (if set to give general training)? 

I want one that gives heavy training, what do I need to look for? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can I see what changes my assistant did during games where I go on holiday? I tell him to use my tactics and he always gets much much better result. The difference is extreme actually, so I guess he is doing some wonders with my current tactic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, fournaan said:

Is there any way to stop wingers on attack duty defending really wide? 

Wingers are instructed to play wide, so...

An alternative may be changing the role to WM(a), or use the TI 'defend narrower'.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is there any way to make centre backs sit higher up the pitch? They seem to stop at the half way line whereas in real life teams like City will sit their cbs a lot higher 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is there a way to mark or pressure the throw in taker after he throws the ball into play? 

Been conceding a couple goals where the thrown in taker throws it short, receives the bal back unmarked and crosses it to the far post for an easy tap in. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My defence seem incapable to stay back and the ball over the top gets me all the time. What can i do to stop this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...