Quickfire Questions and Answers Thread (Tactic and Training Questions Only)

9 minutes ago, LCFCEaves31 said:

I am using 'defend narrower', don't like giving up space through the middle and my centre backs head most things away, but i thought with wing back duties they would be a little wider when defending than centre backs... wasn't 100% sure how they operated differently in an attacking sence either

Just check what PI they have FBs vs WBs. I don't really remember but I know that WBs are more attacking, that is the biggest difference, there is more chance with then to be caought out of position, bigger vertical channels beetween them and CBs ten with FBs...

You cant really defend narrow and wide at the same time. If you want best of both worlds leave defending width to standard and I would use FBs as they are more cautious.

• Replies 17.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How do you get up the screen on the tactics page where it shows important attributes for the role on the player selected? I stumble upon it and then never remember how to do it again haha

Found it

Edited by Fosse

5 hours ago, Fosse said:

How do you get up the screen on the tactics page where it shows important attributes for the role on the player selected? I stumble upon it and then never remember how to do it again haha

Found it

Please enlighten me -  I would like to find it as well.

I'm Manager of Portugal and I hired staff for the first team and then a Manager for the u21, u20 and u19. 

Will they apooint staff for their team? Or do I need to do that? 

I know I can appoint/sack staff to/from their team, but do I really need to? Because I can't be bothered to be fair.

On 12/09/2019 at 21:50, Snorks said:

Please enlighten me -  I would like to find it as well.

Click on the player on the tactic screen and when it brings up the player instructions it has attributes on the bottom of that tab 

Two of my players are regularly in need of a rest (Torreira and De Ligt). They are regular first teamers, but not the only ones, yet it is always those two. As far as I can tell, there is nothing in the medical report to suggest anything, and they have comparable natural fitness to other players in the team (i.e. Holding and De Ligt both have natural fitness 14 and both play as CD(D)). In fact, Holding has actually played about 10% more games than De Ligt with no problems. Training wise, they are both on their natural positions with normal intensity most of the time. However, they frequently struggle to recover in between games (even with a whole day of low intensity stuff like recovery and match review) compared to the rest of my team. Any specific attributes I should be looking at or ways I can managed this better?

12 minutes ago, Marabak said:

Two of my players are regularly in need of a rest (Torreira and De Ligt). They are regular first teamers, but not the only ones, yet it is always those two. As far as I can tell, there is nothing in the medical report to suggest anything, and they have comparable natural fitness to other players in the team (i.e. Holding and De Ligt both have natural fitness 14 and both play as CD(D)). In fact, Holding has actually played about 10% more games than De Ligt with no problems. Training wise, they are both on their natural positions with normal intensity most of the time. However, they frequently struggle to recover in between games (even with a whole day of low intensity stuff like recovery and match review) compared to the rest of my team. Any specific attributes I should be looking at or ways I can managed this better?

Give them a good rest from training (7 days) and don't play them in a match during that period.  Repeat if needed.  Possibly they played too many matches during the off season (world cup maybe? internationals?) and they haven't properly recovered since.

Also make sure your sports scientists are up to standard as they can help manage player Jadedness.

Just now, herne79 said:

Give them a good rest from training (7 days) and don't play them in a match during that period.  Repeat if needed.  Possibly they played too many matches during the off season (world cup maybe? internationals?) and they haven't properly recovered since.

Also make sure your sports scientists are up to standard as they can help manage player Jadedness.

I do give them rests when it recommends, but unfortunately that always coincides with important upcoming games, so I am trying to find a way around doing that (without having to drop them for every game beforehand). I'll look into their internationals though, I didn't consider that. I'll definitely check my sports scientists as well, but the rest of my squad seem to be able to handle the rigours.

My team are really bad at the back, so I need to defend deep. The downside is we rarely attack and I'm struggling to find a fair balance. On FMT18, what effect would a positive mentality have,ie control or attacking, when coupled with a deep defensive line? Would the gap between defence and midfield be too big? Could it work?

I've started playing a 4-1(DM)-2(cm)-2(wing)-1 formation.

Edited by sm1979

58 minutes ago, sm1979 said:

My team are really bad at the back, so I need to defend deep. The downside is we rarely attack and I'm struggling to find a fair balance. On FMT18, what effect would a positive mentality have,ie control or attacking, when coupled with a deep defensive line? Would the gap between defence and midfield be too big? Could it work?

I've started playing a 4-1(DM)-2(cm)-2(wing)-1 formation.

Bear in mind that when using a player in the DM position, your defensive line gets pushed a little deeper anyway and helps to cover the gap between defence and midfield.  So yes it "can" work (pretty much anything "can" work) although I'd recommend you try it with default settings before making adjustments to the def line to see if it "does" work.

Never assume you "need" to do anything without actually seeing if there is an actual need :thup:.

18 minutes ago, herne79 said:

Bear in mind that when using a player in the DM position, your defensive line gets pushed a little deeper anyway and helps to cover the gap between defence and midfield.  So yes it "can" work (pretty much anything "can" work) although I'd recommend you try it with default settings before making adjustments to the def line to see if it "does" work.

Never assume you "need" to do anything without actually seeing if there is an actual need :thup:.

Thank you mate, I'll give it a go 👍🏻

Is there a basic guide to show movement per role...? So for example where on a pitch does an Inverted Wingback go on Defend / Support / Attack?
Where does a Poacher run compared to Advanced Forward etc?  Does such a thing exist anywhere? 

I know you have to consider PPM's etc. but would be nice to fully understand the roles 'under the hood' per say...

1 hour ago, LCFCEaves31 said:

Is there a basic guide to show movement per role...? So for example where on a pitch does an Inverted Wingback go on Defend / Support / Attack?
Where does a Poacher run compared to Advanced Forward etc?  Does such a thing exist anywhere? 

I know you have to consider PPM's etc. but would be nice to fully understand the roles 'under the hood' per say...

You have some of the roles explained here. 

12 minutes ago, mikcheck said:

Hello,

Would you guys sign a central defender with low concentration? How important you think that attribute is? Thanks

Entirely depends on the rest of his attributes, what level you are playing at and how he fits into your team.

On 17/09/2019 at 17:47, mikcheck said:

Hello,

Would you guys sign a central defender with low concentration? How important you think that attribute is? Thanks

I value mental attributes highly and would not consider signing a centre half with less than 10 in concentration if I am managing in a top 5 league, ideally I want at least 13.

9 minutes ago, Novem9 said:

I need this guy , but his vision is 6 and my DM role is DLP. I dont want to change system just for him, so what do you think how he will feel in this role?

I'd be more concerned about his Trait to play short simple passes.

15 минут назад, herne79 сказал:

I'd be more concerned about his Trait to play short simple passes.

Well in fact my DLP often uses this type of passes. I worry about possible 'fines' of his low vision in creative role. Some kind of mistakes and slow decisions, etc.

mb I will check this guy in alternative save to know how it looks, but I found another guy

Спойлер

1691698087_Image3.thumb.png.d5a105844dfbb8a8c41f0bb61013e2a6.png

Edited by Novem9

Em 17/09/2019 em 17:01, herne79 disse:

Entirely depends on the rest of his attributes, what level you are playing at and how he fits into your team.

14 horas atrás, zZzZzZzZzZzZzZz disse:

I value mental attributes highly and would not consider signing a centre half with less than 10 in concentration if I am managing in a top 5 league, ideally I want at least 13.

Thank you both,

I was referring about this lad, he's a right back but I think he could be better as a central defender. What do you think?

konate.thumb.jpg.544d4ee6635d0303fed03502c001bb84.jpg

Thank you.

Edited by mikcheck

25 minutes ago, mikcheck said:

I was referring about this lad, he's a right back but I think he could be better as a central defender. What do you think?

Height?  Don't know how tall he is - he has good jumping reach but his ability to deal with crosses will be affected by his height also.  As a central defender for a top tier(?) side he'll need a bit of work on his Positioning, Anticipation and Concentration, perhaps also his Marking and Composure, but I guess he's young and has plenty of scope for development.

Thanks.

Heigh is 194 cm. He also as a good jumping reach, which makes me want to develop him as a central defender. I never buy central defenders with poor jumping reach, that's a big no no for me.

Yes, my team is top tier nowdays . Determination and Work Rate both 19 is also very good. Well, if my scout is judging him right, he has plenty of scope to develop. I think he could become a very good central defender.

Edited by mikcheck

1 hour ago, mikcheck said:

Thanks.

Heigh is 194 cm. He also as a good jumping reach, which makes me want to develop him as a central defender. I never buy central defenders with poor jumping reach, that's a big no no for me.

Yes, my team is top tier nowdays . Determination and Work Rate both 19 is also very good. Well, if my scout is judging him right, he has plenty of scope to develop. I think he could become a very good central defender.

I think he looks like a fine prospect. Obviously not ready to lead your defence right away but he has potential. I especially like that he is brave without being overly aggressive.

Say you manage a mid-level team in a strong division, like for example U.S. Sassuolo Calcio. You have to sign a good Box to Box Midfielder, but you obviously cannot afford, nor attract the kind of player say Juventus could sign. What attributes would you look for, and why?

2 hours ago, OWD said:

Say you manage a mid-level team in a strong division, like for example U.S. Sassuolo Calcio. You have to sign a good Box to Box Midfielder, but you obviously cannot afford, nor attract the kind of player say Juventus could sign. What attributes would you look for, and why?

The game tells you which attributes are important for any role (and under any duty), so you already have the answer there. For a BBM, I would personally pay attention to - stamina, work rate, teamwork, tackling, off the ball, positioning, determination, passing, first touch, decisions, anticipation, strength, acceleration, balance, bravery, composure... It does not mean that each single of these attributes must have an extraordinary rating (15+), but they are generally important for the role.

Edited by Experienced Defender

13 minutes ago, OWD said:

Yes, I understand that, but I mean out of these, which ones do you see as more important than the others?

It would really depend on your style of play. More defensive styles of play would logically require higher ratings for attributes such as tackling, positioning, bravery, strength, marking... Conversely, more attacking and/or possession-based styles would prioritize passing, first touch, off the ball, acceleration, composure etc.

51 minutes ago, Johnny Ace said:

You know under Creative Freedom we have Be More Expressive & Be More Disciplined, does selecting neither mean your team will play somewhere in-between? ie have some creative freedom? 

The (overall) level of creative freedom is automatically determined by the team mentality. Therefore, on higher mentalities your players will be allowed more creative freedom (including in terms of movement), and vice versa. That's something you need to take into account when deciding whether to use BME or BMD or neither.

I know players under 18 will generally develop better when left in the under 18's. Two questions:

1. Do your under 18's generally develop more when given one match a week? (This is what I've always thought). 

2. Say I have 22 players in my under 18's. Is a reserve match as good as an under 18 match for development? I've got enough players in my U18 side that I'm worried about getting players enough match time. 

9 minutes ago, davenumber40 said:

I know players under 18 will generally develop better when left in the under 18's. Two questions:

1. Do your under 18's generally develop more when given one match a week? (This is what I've always thought). 

2. Say I have 22 players in my under 18's. Is a reserve match as good as an under 18 match for development? I've got enough players in my U18 side that I'm worried about getting players enough match time. 

Training and match time at a relevant level are important for all players, however below the age of 18 Training takes precedence.

So for match time, gauge at what level you consider your young players to be (coach reports can help to tell you).  For some, U18 matches will be right.  You may even have some nearing or even at) senior squad level.  Some may be right for loaning.  So you need to look at each player and make an assessment, but always have their training sorted :thup:.

6 minutes ago, herne79 said:

Training and match time at a relevant level are important for all players, however below the age of 18 Training takes precedence.

So for match time, gauge at what level you consider your young players to be (coach reports can help to tell you).  For some, U18 matches will be right.  You may even have some nearing or even at) senior squad level.  Some may be right for loaning.  So you need to look at each player and make an assessment, but always have their training sorted :thup:.

This helps. Thank you!

On 20/09/2019 at 23:33, Experienced Defender said:

It would really depend on your style of play. More defensive styles of play would logically require higher ratings for attributes such as tackling, positioning, bravery, strength, marking... Conversely, more attacking and/or possession-based styles would prioritize passing, first touch, off the ball, acceleration, composure etc.

One more question; if you would prioritize attacking style, how low could you go with positioning, bravery, strength, tackling...? Would 12 be too low for Serie A / EPL / La Liga?

11 hours ago, OWD said:

One more question; if you would prioritize attacking style, how low could you go with positioning, bravery, strength, tackling...? Would 12 be too low for Serie A / EPL / La Liga?

This depends on what your midfield looks like and what you expect from it. Playing a two-man midfield where both have poor positioning and bravery is basically handing it over to the opposition, in a three-man midfield you can absolutely afford to have a player with zero defensive responsibilities that has terrible positioning and bravery provided that the two other players have the ability to cover for him.

3 hours ago, mikcheck said:

Hi,

One of my best players was injured 8 months, then he came back and is injured again for 2 or 3 months.  He is 24/25 y old, can he still regain the attributes he lost and increase is CA?

He can.  Whether he will is another matter and only time will tell.

19 hours ago, OWD said:

if you would prioritize attacking style, how low could you go with positioning, bravery, strength, tackling...?

In fact, an attacking style would require better defensive attributes than a more defensive style. Because when you lose the ball, your players will need to cover more space, which logically implies greater tactical intelligence (plus physical attributes). Consider Liverpool - why are they able to play such an adventurous attacking football? Because each of their midfielders has what it takes for a BBM.

I have this goalkeeper in my current team:

keeper.thumb.png.df43d16f336c4e6598de2f878e2c67ef.png

He has okay to very good ratings in most relevant attributes, but his agility and balance are both horrendous. He is still only 21 and has some room to improve, but even with dedicated training I doubt he will get them beyond 10 before he hits his ceiling.

I can't decide if I should commit to this keeper long-term or if I should start looking for other options, what do you guys think?

1 hour ago, zZzZzZzZzZzZzZz said:

I have this goalkeeper in my current team:

keeper.thumb.png.df43d16f336c4e6598de2f878e2c67ef.png

He has okay to very good ratings in most relevant attributes, but his agility and balance are both horrendous. He is still only 21 and has some room to improve, but even with dedicated training I doubt he will get them beyond 10 before he hits his ceiling.

I can't decide if I should commit to this keeper long-term or if I should start looking for other options, what do you guys think?

Given that all his other relevant attributes are really good - including the fantastic determination of 20 - and that he's only 21, I personally would keep working on his further development (with additional training focus on agility and balance).

On 19/09/2019 at 18:02, herne79 said:

Height?  Don't know how tall he is - he has good jumping reach but his ability to deal with crosses will be affected by his height also.

Are you sure about that? I read somewhere on these forums that player who is for example 190cm tall who has 16 jumping reach can reach the same height as 180cm tall player with 16 jumping reach.

1 hour ago, yolixeya said:

Are you sure about that? I read somewhere on these forums that player who is for example 190cm tall who has 16 jumping reach can reach the same height as 180cm tall player with 16 jumping reach.

They can jump the same amount off the ground but the taller player will reach higher due to his height.

47 minutes ago, yolixeya said:

I just googled it and this suggests otherwise. 

Sorry, brain fart.

1) In the original post, height absolutely affects a player's ability to deal with crosses as Jumping Reach is a player's height plus their jumping ability.  Which was the original point.

2) A player's height impacts their Jumping Reach attribute as JR = height + jumping ability.  Thus the 180cm player in your example would need to be able to jump an additional 10cm off the ground in order to achieve the same JR rating as the 190cm player.

There will of course be limits - don't expect a 150cm player to be have the same JR as a 200cm player for example.

Sorry for confusion :thup:.

hasnt it always been said that Jumping reach, as is said in the quote, determines the maximum non-relative height a player can reach? So that different sized players with the same JR will both reach the same height, but the taller player has an advantage because it's easier for him to get there thus impose his physical strength and as such to win an aerial duel if both players meet?

5 minutes ago, Nikopol said:

hasnt it always been said that Jumping reach, as is said in the quote, determines the maximum non-relative height a player can reach? So that different sized players with the same JR will both reach the same height, but the taller player has an advantage because it's easier for him to get there thus impose his physical strength and as such to win an aerial duel if both players meet?

The only case where a taller player has an advantage, is sometimes the taller player doesn't even need to jump, but the shorter player does.