Jump to content
Sports Interactive Community
wwfan

Quickfire Questions and Answers Thread (Tactic and Training Questions Only)

Recommended Posts

On 16/07/2019 at 15:47, User0912 said:

In my opinion its anything past the group stage, I was thinking the quarter finals would be enough but I'm thinking the semis would be the minimum.

Quarter Finals. They calmed down when we qualified for the Quarter Finals.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@mikcheck  Im not sure if its possible but you should try and let us know if it is and if yes than how it worked.

Edited by Dfs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does anybody know if there are any numerical mentality calculators for FM19?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Am I the only one that's not feeling the Raumdeuter role? This is supposed to be the Muller role translated to FM, but it's not. It feels a lot more like an advanced forward. Normally Muller works between spaces and not running after rushing balls. In reality he works really great with a fixe forward that pushes the defensive line down in their midfield and opens space between midfield and defense, in FM you just can't pair a raumdeuter and someone that doesn't come deep because raumdeuters explore space in the defense back.

Edited by Razor940

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is there a fundamental difference between a BTB and a Mezzala, especially if I add PIs to the BTB to move further forward and wider? Does the Mezz do anything "under the hood" that can't be replicated by PI on the BTB and therefore a BTB is a better role as it is more customisable?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Marabak said:

Is there a fundamental difference between a BTB and a Mezzala, especially if I add PIs to the BTB to move further forward and wider? Does the Mezz do anything "under the hood" that can't be replicated by PI on the BTB and therefore a BTB is a better role as it is more customisable?

A Mezz has hard coded behaviour.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, herne79 said:

A Mezz has hard coded behaviour.

Do we know what this is or is it secret?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Probably a stupid question but could I get away with using a complete forward instead of a pressing forward with gegenpress?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, safcrhys said:

Probably a stupid question but could I get away with using a complete forward instead of a pressing forward with gegenpress?

It really depends on your overall tactic and how the role fits into it. If your striker has the right (set of) attributes for a CF and if playing a CF role makes sense as part of the tactic as a whole, then why not. The same goes for other roles.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, sebva said:

Does shorter passing affect crosses? 

It might indirectly reduce their number to an extent, but the instruction alone will not prevent your players from crossing if a tactic as a whole makes crosses a logical option more often than not. Btw, my answer is based on the assumption that you want to reduce crossing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Experienced Defender said:

It really depends on your overall tactic and how the role fits into it. If your striker has the right (set of) attributes for a CF and if playing a CF role makes sense as part of the tactic as a whole, then why not. The same goes for other roles.

 

Its just the default gegenpress in a 4-2-3-1 with an IF on the left, winger on the right and advanced playmaker in behind the pressing forward.

Another question. I play a DLP beside a box to box and ahead of them is the advanced playmaker, is it wise to play two playmakers in midfield?

Edited by safcrhys

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, safcrhys said:

Its just the default gegenpress in a 4-2-3-1 with an IF on the left, winger on the right and advanced playmaker in behind the pressing forward

Well, in that case I would rather go with a simpler striker role (on attack duty), such as poacher or PF (or even TM if you have that type of striker). Btw, I never use preset tactics, so I hope someone who does can give you better advice. 

 

7 hours ago, safcrhys said:

I play a DLP beside a box to box and ahead of them is the advanced playmaker, is it wise to play two playmakers in midfield?

Can work for a possession-based tactic, but as far as I know - gegenpress is rather fast and gung-ho, so I guess it's not a good idea. A DLP in a CM spot and a TQ in AMC would be a better combo IMO if you want to use 2 PMs so close to each other.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Experienced Defender said:

Well, in that case I would rather go with a simpler striker role (on attack duty), such as poacher or PF (or even TM if you have that type of striker). Btw, I never use preset tactics, so I hope someone who does can give you better advice. 

 

Can work for a possession-based tactic, but as far as I know - gegenpress is rather fast and gung-ho, so I guess it's not a good idea. A DLP in a CM spot and a TQ in AMC would be a better combo IMO if you want to use 2 PMs so close to each other.

 

Thanks for the help.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's n real reason not to play two Playmakers, although what the actually do can influence the way the team plays quite significantly. They tend to attract the ball, in the fact that teammates will look to pass to them, so two close together can become a problem.  Two further apart can open up the play a little. 

I generally only use on in my tactic, but sometimes, depending on the players , I'll use two - one in DM slot and one in AMC with shorter passing, the defenders give the ball to the DM and he searches out the AMC with it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What's up with blocked crosses anyway? My WB (A) and FB (S) both keep whacking crosses directly into the nearest defender, instead of getting it in. Like 8 crosses out of 10 are blocked (I know, I've watched three games in full now). I've tried telling them to cross from deep, dribble less, anything to make them just CROSS IT instead of holding on to the ball but nah.

Please tell me it's not just me?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Snorks said:

There's n real reason not to play two Playmakers, although what the actually do can influence the way the team plays quite significantly. They tend to attract the ball, in the fact that teammates will look to pass to them, so two close together can become a problem.  Two further apart can open up the play a little. 

I generally only use on in my tactic, but sometimes, depending on the players , I'll use two - one in DM slot and one in AMC with shorter passing, the defenders give the ball to the DM and he searches out the AMC with it.

Have you tried two wide midfielders as playmakers or do you think that this is just another way of telling the team to exploit both left and right wings?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Once or twice I have had an AML/R as Wide Playmaker and it has worked well, but I am one of those managers who likes wingers to run with the ball and attack the full back. I probably wouldn't set both wide men as playmakers. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe really a stupid question, but do players on the same positions and with the same roles/duties and PI act different in different formations. For example, let's take 4-2-3-1 and 4-1-2-3 with the same TI. Do AML and AMR with the same roles, duties and PIs act differently in these formations? I didn't noticed that in the game. The only thing I noticed is that in 4-1-2-3 they a positioned a bit narrower, because the AMC strata is empty and that leaves a lot of space for them. IRL I see that in 4-2-3-1 AML/AMR act more like midfielders, while in 4-1-2-3 they are rather forwards positioned wide. 

Another example - wingbacks and how they are positioned when there is a ML/MR ahead of them (for example, 4-4-1-1 formation) and when there is a AMR/AML ahead (4-2-3-1 formation). In the first case they are positioned a bit lower on the pitch and that's reflected in the game.

Are there any more positions which are affected by pure change of formation?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a question about reserves and under 19 squads.

Let's say I have 5-6 goalkeepers in the under 19 team. Would it be beneficial to take the one who is the best - both in terms of current and potential ability - and promote him to the reservers squad, where I only got one keeper who is older and of equal current ability (I'm thinking about promoting that one to be the first team 3rd keeper and promote another keeper from the under 19s as well)?

The idea is that, with 5-6 goalkeepers, most are bound not to play, hence not develop as much. It sounds reasonable, but maybe there is something I am missing?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 28/07/2019 at 14:19, mikcheck said:

Hello,

Is it nonsense to teach my striker both comes deep to get the ball and gets into opposition area whenever possible? He's really smart player, so why not give as many options as possible?

No, it is not. This combination can be absolutely amazing and devastating for opponents. Just take care your player has some stamina to spare and can actually use this additional participation in attacking movement.

I sometimes use it on my supportive winger (although lately I grew to prefer arrviving late) together with one-twos — the player comes deep to get the ball, passes to a teammate and then bolts forward to receive the ball.

Similarly one of my Target Man had this combination as well, together with not taking long shots and first time shots — he drops even deeper to receive and hold the ball and after laying it off to the pacy wingers he arrives late into the box where he heither makes another short pass or just hammers the ball onto the goal. 

However, if he is smart enough and roles/formation allow for it, there are good chances he'd do it automatically by himself already. 

 

On 02/08/2019 at 15:04, Exius said:

Maybe really a stupid question, but do players on the same positions and with the same roles/duties and PI act different in different formations.

Yes. Players are usually intelligent enough to look for open spaces and exploit them. I haven't looked into starting positions but the movement certainly reacts to the environment

Your thoughts were pretty much spot on there. Staying with the 4123 and 4231 examples: I have two systems where one side is CWBs—CARs—Ws (with cuts inside+runs into channels+one-two+late in area traits). On the 4123 the Ws often cuts inside pretty early into the vacant AM slot whereas in the 4231 this place is already full, so he only cuts inside right next to the box. 

Similarly, opposition formation also help those players find their spaces and participation — this combo murders narrow oppositions and both wide players get plenty of good runs in. Whereas against wider opponents the CWB stays more back and has fewer runs and the game shifts more to the centre.

 

3 hours ago, TheJanitor said:

I have a question about reserves and under 19 squads.

Let's say I have 5-6 goalkeepers in the under 19 team. Would it be beneficial to take the one who is the best - both in terms of current and potential ability - and promote him to the reservers squad, where I only got one keeper who is older and of equal current ability (I'm thinking about promoting that one to be the first team 3rd keeper and promote another keeper from the under 19s as well)?

The idea is that, with 5-6 goalkeepers, most are bound not to play, hence not develop as much. It sounds reasonable, but maybe there is something I am missing?

Goalkeepers are always a personal taste, so I can only say how I handle them. 

—I have one key player who is an undisputed key player. 

—I tend to have an older, veteran replacement who gets his caps in the cups but otherwise just stands back.

After this it gets pretty murky. In my current save I handle it this way:

—My third keeper trains with the pros but plays in the reserves. Generally he is a 20-23 year old who may usurp the #2 or might even have a shot at #1 if he is close-ish to retirement

—My fourth keeper is similar but in the 16-19 range who trains with the pros but plays with the youth team. He is essentially the designated replacement for #3 if he falls in an unfortunate age range.

—The second team replacement tends to be pretty consistent but otherwise is all-around unremarkable. If their keeper has a very lengthy injury I usually call up the youth keeper for the duration instead...

—The youth replacement is from the two newest intakes and usually the one with the most potential. 

However, in the past I usually did the following:

—A consistent reserve keeper who usually stays there but can go up when needed.

—Two good youth keepers in the older range. One who usually stays on the reserve's bench, one who plays the youth games.

—Two or more younger keepers wo stay back and train for a bit until the reserve keeper grows too old and the shuffling begins.

Low potential keepers without USP or keepers without a designated spot after they are in their mid-16s are usually cut. The market is too small!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 01/08/2019 at 16:11, Footix said:

What's up with blocked crosses anyway? My WB (A) and FB (S) both keep whacking crosses directly into the nearest defender, instead of getting it in. Like 8 crosses out of 10 are blocked (I know, I've watched three games in full now). I've tried telling them to cross from deep, dribble less, anything to make them just CROSS IT instead of holding on to the ball but nah.

Please tell me it's not just me?

I'm also a newbie, and had the same problem. Was thinking this part of the game was broken until I began to analyse those crosses. And I've come to the conclusion that at least 60% of the time, blocked crosses come from wingers/full back who are too much forward to go back (or counter TI, high tempo TI,etc making them less likely to play to the back when they're in the final third) and have no teammates that can receive pass a pass because they are marked or not in position. With growing tactical familiarity and some adjustments to tactics, blocked crosses went to lower, normal numbers (which aren't low in real life).

EDIT: first read something like this here, then verified it myself

Edited by gam945

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 05/08/2019 at 10:29, gam945 said:

wingers/full back who are too much forward (...) high tempo TI

This might be related ... thanks for the tip, I'll experiment. I'd still prefer them to try hitting the target in the box (PI says "cross more often" and TI says "high tempo" -> just play ffs!), but the players might not be good enough to do that (I'm Exeter).

Cheers!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What is the difference between very attacking mentality of a player on positive team mentality vs very attacking team mentality. 

If you press on a player with attack duty you can see on both team mentalities is set to “very attacking”. What is the difference? 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, bamb00zle said:

In 442 or variations of

What (exactly) do you mean by "variations of 442"? 

 

26 minutes ago, bamb00zle said:

would using a CD as a stopper compensate for the lack of a DM screen?

You can use a stopper of course, but one role doesn't mean a lot without the whole context of a tactic. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Like 4411 or 442.

So I have a CM s and a CM d in the MC strata but worried about the AIs AMC between the lines. Do you think a stopper would come out and close him down with the other CD on cover sweeping up behind?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, bamb00zle said:

I have a CM s and a CM d in the MC strata but worried about the AIs AMC between the lines. Do you think a stopper would come out and close him down with the other CD on cover sweeping up behind?

He will close down any opposition player when he enters his area of defensive responsibility. Which again will depend both on the stopper himself and how your tactic as a whole is set up. If you want an opposition AMC to be closed down at all times, you can use the relevant OI. But that's just part of the puzzle and will not help a lot if your overall defensive shape is not stable and solid enough. 

Btw, an opposition AMC will not always be positioned near your central defense. Sometimes he will drop deeper, sometimes may move sideways, so having a stopper that follows him everywhere like a shadow is clearly not a good idea anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So let's say the AMC is dropping deep in some kind of support duty then you'd recommend not going with a stopper but if he's constantly trying to push into the area it may be an option if i've interpreted that correctly?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, bamb00zle said:

So let's say the AMC is dropping deep in some kind of support duty then you'd recommend not going with a stopper but if he's constantly trying to push into the area it may be an option if i've interpreted that correctly?

No, I did not say that. You should not be so much obsessed with the opposition AMC (or any other position/role). Because while you are striving to neutralize the AMC (or whoever), some other oppo player(s) can actually utilize your obsession and wreak havoc on your defense. Defending - like attacking - is not individual but collective (team) responsibility. So if you want to use a stopper-duty CB, use him not because the opposition have a player in the AMC spot, but because the role (stopper) would make sense when considered from the perspective of your overall tactic (and provided that you have a CB who is a good choice for a stopper).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The stopper, as I understand it, will step forward out of the defensive line to win the ball - a la Vidic when at Man Utd. He will break line to win headers, intercept etc regardless of whether the oppositions has an AMC or not. A deeper striker for example.

 

The key for you to be aware of is that he will break the defensive line leaving space behind him, so he will need a DC partner that has anticipation, positioning, pace to be able to cover the space. It is also difficult to play an offside trap with a Stopper in the defense.

Many use a Stopper with Cover responsibility in the DC pairing, which rips any offside trap you have apart.

So. stoppers CAN be very useful to control the space in front of the defense if your tactic has space there but be aware of the compromise you are making to the defensive line. I have used one very effectively in a 4231 Gegenpress tactic, a high aggressive press and my two MCs were covered by the Stopper, but I had a very good DC as his partner.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Em 04/08/2019 em 17:43, Piperita disse:

No, it is not. This combination can be absolutely amazing and devastating for opponents. Just take care your player has some stamina to spare and can actually use this additional participation in attacking movement.

I sometimes use it on my supportive winger (although lately I grew to prefer arrviving late) together with one-twos — the player comes deep to get the ball, passes to a teammate and then bolts forward to receive the ball.

Similarly one of my Target Man had this combination as well, together with not taking long shots and first time shots — he drops even deeper to receive and hold the ball and after laying it off to the pacy wingers he arrives late into the box where he heither makes another short pass or just hammers the ball onto the goal. 

However, if he is smart enough and roles/formation allow for it, there are good chances he'd do it automatically by himself already. 

Thanks,

He really is a smart player, and I don't think I'll make him learn to get forward, it's not necessary. I wanted him to learn to come deep to work with my RMD and my CM(a) which have gets forward and gets into opposition area.

Anyway, he might be one of the best players I came across, I see a lot of Messi there.

 

leo cesar.png

Edited by mikcheck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Snorks said:

The stopper, as I understand it, will step forward out of the defensive line to win the ball - a la Vidic when at Man Utd. He will break line to win headers, intercept etc regardless of whether the oppositions has an AMC or not. A deeper striker for example.

 

The key for you to be aware of is that he will break the defensive line leaving space behind him, so he will need a DC partner that has anticipation, positioning, pace to be able to cover the space. It is also difficult to play an offside trap with a Stopper in the defense.

Many use a Stopper with Cover responsibility in the DC pairing, which rips any offside trap you have apart.

So. stoppers CAN be very useful to control the space in front of the defense if your tactic has space there but be aware of the compromise you are making to the defensive line. I have used one very effectively in a 4231 Gegenpress tactic, a high aggressive press and my two MCs were covered by the Stopper, but I had a very good DC as his partner.

 

I have several good options for the cover, e.g quick and good mentals etc. The only thing is none of my 4 centre halves have particularly high bravery or aggression (think around 12 or 13 tops). I'm playing in La Liga. Would a not particularly aggressive type affect how much he'd come out and stop the danger?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, bamb00zle said:

 

I have several good options for the cover, e.g quick and good mentals etc. The only thing is none of my 4 centre halves have particularly high bravery or aggression (think around 12 or 13 tops). I'm playing in La Liga. Would a not particularly aggressive type affect how much he'd come out and stop the danger?

I think the bravery and aggression will affect the challenges he goes for. It would be the mentals that affect whether or not he steps forward - I think. All the attributes will have a say in the actions of the player in any given situation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Stupid question about negotiating managers contract.

My Cartagena had great second season after promotion to Segunda. Almost for the end we've been fighting for promotion playoffs. So I get another offer from stronger team - Sporting Gijon from Primera. During interview I told, that I want to end season in Cartagena (we still had a chance to reach playoffs), and after that I can join Sporting.

It was 14 of May 2034, I have the contract with Cartagena to the end of June 2035.

I signed the contract with Gijon and what I see? That I will join the team during (!) next season. For sure there will be still a few matches in Segunda, we don't know if will be the same in Primera.

Now I can't make any transfers (for all now is responsible chairman, because - as is written - I will leave the club in short time). So next season in Cartagena will be very strange.

Anyone have some experience in this theme? Maybe had the same situation?

Greets!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This question may be unanswerable in reality but why does having a closing down instruction not equate to actually making a tackle?  I accept that I am watching only extended highlights but regardless of what tackling instruction I set for out of possession ( it is currently set to get stuck in ), my players are happy to get into the opposition space, but not prepared to tackle.  They will get about 1 metre away then stay at that distance when I am shouting at them to put their foot in!  It is particularly noticeable when a ball is cleared from an opposition attacking corner to one of their players collecting the ball with their back to our goal and then jogging for about 9 seconds back to the half way line with 2 of my players jogging just behind him. Any player in real life that jogs with an opposition player in attendance knows that he is going to get bumped, niggled and tackled immediately so why not in the game?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, patpul said:

Stupid question about negotiating managers contract.

My Cartagena had great second season after promotion to Segunda. Almost for the end we've been fighting for promotion playoffs. So I get another offer from stronger team - Sporting Gijon from Primera. During interview I told, that I want to end season in Cartagena (we still had a chance to reach playoffs), and after that I can join Sporting.

It was 14 of May 2034, I have the contract with Cartagena to the end of June 2035.

I signed the contract with Gijon and what I see? That I will join the team during (!) next season. For sure there will be still a few matches in Segunda, we don't know if will be the same in Primera.

Now I can't make any transfers (for all now is responsible chairman, because - as is written - I will leave the club in short time). So next season in Cartagena will be very strange.

Anyone have some experience in this theme? Maybe had the same situation?

Greets!

 

You're better off asking in General Discussion as this is for tactics and training related questions. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, FrazT said:

This question may be unanswerable in reality but why does having a closing down instruction not equate to actually making a tackle?  I accept that I am watching only extended highlights but regardless of what tackling instruction I set for out of possession ( it is currently set to get stuck in ), my players are happy to get into the opposition space, but not prepared to tackle.  They will get about 1 metre away then stay at that distance when I am shouting at them to put their foot in!  It is particularly noticeable when a ball is cleared from an opposition attacking corner to one of their players collecting the ball with their back to our goal and then jogging for about 9 seconds back to the half way line with 2 of my players jogging just behind him. Any player in real life that jogs with an opposition player in attendance knows that he is going to get bumped, niggled and tackled immediately so why not in the game?

They're two separate instructions. Closing the space puts hem under pressure already. Then you have control over whether they're aggressive in the tackle or not. It does sound like closing down is working just fine. You're doing the right thing by asking players to get stuck in if you want them to be aggressive in the tackle, but it's still a percentage game. A player might still feel that it's just too much risk to dive into a tackle. It can particularly be the case on the lower/safer mentalities.

I see the same things, for what it's worth, but I also just watch on Extended these days. I could well be that you're just seeing highlight worthy clips, so the boring ones where the tackles are being made just don't make it into the highlights. I'll admit that I haven't really looked into it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Probably a stupid question that's been answered plenty of time before but.....

How do PPMs, TI's & PI's work together?

Do they stack? Like is a player with a runs with the ball PPM, dribble more PI & TI, going to be running with the ball at every given chance?  

or is in a priority order? Like PPM > PI > TI?

or just something completely different?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I enjoyed the latest PES demo, and noticed they implemented something I tried to replicate in FM without any success. I'm talking about a defender going forward like a stiker when the team is on attacking mentality and needs to score. IRL Pique does it quite often closer to the end of the game when Barcelona struggles to score and there is nothing to loose. In FM I couldn't replicate it - I succeeded to make him dribble with the ball to the opposition area, but then he passes it to somebody and gets back. Does anybody know, is it possible to make him do what he does IRL, without changing his position?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Exius said:

I enjoyed the latest PES demo, and noticed they implemented something I tried to replicate in FM without any success. I'm talking about a defender going forward like a stiker when the team is on attacking mentality and needs to score. IRL Pique does it quite often closer to the end of the game when Barcelona struggles to score and there is nothing to loose. In FM I couldn't replicate it - I succeeded to make him dribble with the ball to the opposition area, but then he passes it to somebody and gets back. Does anybody know, is it possible to make him do what he does IRL, without changing his position?

Libero (A) is the most offensive DC role, I don't know how involved he'd get with a Very Attacking team mentality but that's probably the most offensive you'll get

The only logical FM way would be to throw him upfront as an extra striker with a TM(S) role 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Johnny Ace said:

Like is a player with a runs with the ball PPM, dribble more PI & TI, going to be running with the ball at every given chance?

Yes. 

 

1 hour ago, Johnny Ace said:

is in a priority order? Like PPM > PI > TI?

Again yes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Johnny Ace said:

Probably a stupid question that's been answered plenty of time before but.....

How do PPMs, TI's & PI's work together?

Do they stack? Like is a player with a runs with the ball PPM, dribble more PI & TI, going to be running with the ball at every given chance?  

or is in a priority order? Like PPM > PI > TI?

or just something completely different?

The two most important aspects in my opinion are attributes and opportunities. 

My current star player is a W(s) in the AMR strata with the contradicting PPM of cutting inside, running into channels, and arriving late in the area. As a right foot, he'll stay a bit narrower than usual and will attempt early cut-ins but when pressured will quickly pivot back to the flank and either do a quick, unmarked cross or will run forwards and potentially run into the box from the side. His replacement magically (*cough*) has the same stats and PPM but is left-footed. He'll do casual cut-ins at the middle line and aggressively cut inside in the five to ten meters in front of the box, either attempting in-swinging crosses or shooting himself. 

Both interpretate their role and preferences differently according to their stats: The right foot stays on the flank longer and will go wide under pressure, acting on PPM later and focussing his natural role. The left foot cuts in earlier and focusses on PPM first as they complement his footedness. 

Many contradictions are resolved in similar ways: The player has a framework but has some liberty how to interpretate it.

Other instructions are more like 'sliders', for example the various places to tick 'dribble more/less'. Here more general instructions will often be a strengthening or weakening agent for more personal ones.

One untested hypothesis: If the player has low teamwork or maybe high flair however, they will focus on their own strengths and ideas first and foremost, whereas the opposite will put a higher focus on the big picture.

 

Edited by Piperita
Missed a half-sentence...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Exius said:

I enjoyed the latest PES demo, and noticed they implemented something I tried to replicate in FM without any success. I'm talking about a defender going forward like a stiker when the team is on attacking mentality and needs to score. IRL Pique does it quite often closer to the end of the game when Barcelona struggles to score and there is nothing to loose. In FM I couldn't replicate it - I succeeded to make him dribble with the ball to the opposition area, but then he passes it to somebody and gets back. Does anybody know, is it possible to make him do what he does IRL, without changing his position?

 

1 hour ago, Johnny Ace said:

Libero (A) is the most offensive DC role, I don't know how involved he'd get with a Very Attacking team mentality but that's probably the most offensive you'll get

The only logical FM way would be to throw him upfront as an extra striker with a TM(S) role 

Yeah he's not really a defender any more is he? The formation on FM is pretty much the defensive shape, so he's always going to try to get back there out of possession. So you would have to add him as an extra striker.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Johnny Ace said:

Libero (A) is the most offensive DC role, I don't know how involved he'd get with a Very Attacking team mentality but that's probably the most offensive you'll get

The only logical FM way would be to throw him upfront as an extra striker with a TM(S) role 

 

2 minutes ago, zlatanera said:

 

Yeah he's not really a defender any more is he? The formation on FM is pretty much the defensive shape, so he's always going to try to get back there out of possession. So you would have to add him as an extra striker.

Yes, it was the only solution which replicates the correct attacking movement, but it doesn't replicate his defensive behaviour. If I move him to ST position - he just stays forward, while IRL he comes back when the team loses the ball (not always of course, but if there is a dangerouls attack coming - he drops back to his defender position). So in terms of FM it's more like a box to box midfielder but with larger roaming range. So, it seems there is no way to replicate this precise behavior in FM.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 06/08/2019 at 21:55, ultrAslan said:

What is the difference between very attacking mentality of a player on positive team mentality vs very attacking team mentality. 

If you press on a player with attack duty you can see on both team mentalities is set to “very attacking”. What is the difference? 

 

Someone?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 06/08/2019 at 20:55, ultrAslan said:

What is the difference between very attacking mentality of a player on positive team mentality vs very attacking team mentality. 

If you press on a player with attack duty you can see on both team mentalities is set to “very attacking”. What is the difference? 

 

 

22 minutes ago, ultrAslan said:

Someone?

We've had a bit of a discussion about this over in this thread:

Short answer: On the higher team mentality, the player's mentality should be higher, as tactics seem to work pretty similar as they did on FM18 where you could tell by those (admittedly somewhat hard to read) bars. But they're hiding the information from us this time so nobody's 100 percent sure. @herne79 do you know who we'd tag to get a clearer answer?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ultrAslan said:

Someone?

 

1 hour ago, zlatanera said:

 

We've had a bit of a discussion about this over in this thread:

Short answer: On the higher team mentality, the player's mentality should be higher, as tactics seem to work pretty similar as they did on FM18 where you could tell by those (admittedly somewhat hard to read) bars. But they're hiding the information from us this time so nobody's 100 percent sure. @herne79 do you know who we'd tag to get a clearer answer?

Nothing's changed from FM18 to FM19 in this regard apart from the bar showing individual graduation changes changed to a label saying "Attacking", "Very Attacking" or whatever.  Those labels just encompass ranges of the old graduation bars.

We don't know exactly what those ranges are and, to be honest, nor should we as then it becomes pointless.  If FM19 were a standalone game and was the first time "Football Manager" had been released, we wouldn't know anything about those old graduation bars.  So we go with what we have in front of us.

Needless to say, somebody on "Very Attacking" is going to be very attacking, and so on.  Mentality increases (or decreases) player mentality, it always has done - we just have labels defining a range rather than the 1-20 scale (or whatever it was) any more.

So to answer the original question, the difference is whatever it shows us in the Player Instructions screen.  Technically speaking the players will tend to be a little more attack minded because as said, each Mentality change alters player mentality.  But if you alter Mentality and the label found in the Player Instruction screen doesn't change then that will be a barely noticeable change for player behaviour on pitch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...