Quickfire Questions and Answers Thread (Tactic and Training Questions Only)

42 minutes ago, Firehouse said:

I must be blind, but how do you teach a player 'Brings ball out of defence' trait?

I just can't find it among the player traits.

If it’s not in the player traits it must be one of the PPMs that can only be acquired through the mentoring system.

• Replies 17.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

11 hours ago, Hovis Dexter said:

If it’s not in the player traits it must be one of the PPMs that can only be acquired through the mentoring system.

Pretty sure 99% of all traits can just be taught with the exception of argues with officials.

To teach players the trait for Brings Ball out of Defence its the top option under 'technique' for defenders. If it's not available try upgrading your facilities, as some are tied behind certain levels. 

13 hours ago, Hovis Dexter said:

1 hour ago, Cleon said:

Pretty sure 99% of all traits can just be taught with the exception of argues with officials.

To teach players the trait for Brings Ball out of Defence its the top option under 'technique' for defenders. If it's not available try upgrading your facilities, as some are tied behind certain levels. 

You're quite right. I'm happy to be corrected ... I've learned something.

15 hours ago, Firehouse said:

I must be blind, but how do you teach a player 'Brings ball out of defence' trait?

I just can't find it among the player traits.

15 hours ago, Hovis Dexter said:

3 hours ago, Cleon said:

I'm not positive, but I'm pretty sure that "curls ball" can't be trained.

3 hours ago, Cleon said:

Don't quote me on this, but I believe this year is the first edition where Brings Ball out of Defence can be coached.

Curls ball, Plays Way Out of Trouble and Dwells on Ball cannot be coached either.

Granted, Dwells on Ball is undesirable, while Plays Way is the same for 90% of players.

21 minutes ago, bamba2019 said:

Ok thanks. So I wouldn't get the same movement

Not the same as with attack duty, but the player will be encouraged to get forward a bit more than without the instruction. That type of instructions basically serve to allow some fine-tuning of players' behavior without making fundamental changes that involve his mentality (i.e. duty). So from a defensive perspective, it' safer to tell a player on support to get further fwd than to change his duty to attack, but the effect is not entirely same.

4 hours ago, Experienced Defender said:

Not the same as with attack duty, but the player will be encouraged to get forward a bit more than without the instruction. That type of instructions basically serve to allow some fine-tuning of players' behavior without making fundamental changes that involve his mentality (i.e. duty). So from a defensive perspective, it' safer to tell a player on support to get further fwd than to change his duty to attack, but the effect is not entirely same.

Cheers pal

Is it me or is it really possible to go full Magath all the time with little problems as long as the results fit?

I reloaded one of my old saves and saw three sessions programmed into nearly every day, exception being pre-game (2x plus preview) and post game (Recovery, one session and review). With some extra rotation I went through two seasons with Euro League/Champions League and faced no real problems. No mass injuries (in fact they were by far lower than expected), no fatigue except in my two South Americans with their long travels, and no revolution. Sure, I got weekly notifications that the players were unhappy with the training but no player ever came to me with it.

Normally I go two per day with one or two extra sessions and very heavy weeks during breaks which seems both realistic and goes well but I wonder if I could go *all* the way to cheese player development even further.

anyone know what the criteria is for Hits Early crosses?

I can't teach it to a few of my better players (The plan was to add that to add vairety to crossing)

Edited by plcarlos

3 hours ago, saintrainhard said:

Sometimes players keep changing position, AML to AMR and vice versa. Sometimes switch with striker and midfielder.

I must keep change from tactics or make sub in game to keep it right

In the individual player instructions you can tell two players to swop positions throughout the match

11 minutes ago, Hovis Dexter said:

In the individual player instructions you can tell two players to swop positions throughout the match

cannot find swap positions, what happened in the game is the position get scrambled automatically, usually affecting substitution player they just switching aml to striker striker to amr etc.

even after revised from tactics, the player position keep scrambled automatically

1 hour ago, saintrainhard said:

cannot find swap positions, what happened in the game is the position get scrambled automatically, usually affecting substitution player they just switching aml to striker striker to amr etc.

even after revised from tactics, the player position keep scrambled automatically

Go to Tactics>>Player then click on any of the midfielders or attackers and at the bottom of the page you should see "Swap Positions With ..." Then click on the button that says "none"

1814819496_GenoaC.F.C._Player.thumb.png.6e65d47be12f5f9a138e839332c58712.png

2 hours ago, saintrainhard said:

It's there on tactic - player. Check them out. 

I have a promising 15 year old youth player but he isn't getting any gametime in my u19 because most players are older and better. Is this going to hinder his developement? I think i have read somewhere that under the age of 18 playing time doesn't matter, only training matters so it shouldn't really affect his developement if he doesn't play u19 matches, right?

Edited by hxp

37 minutes ago, hxp said:

I have a promising 15 year old youth player but he isn't getting any gametime in my u19 because most players are older and better. Is this going to hinder his developement? I think i have read somewhere that under the age of 18 playing time doesn't matter, only training matters so it shouldn't really affect his developement if he doesn't play u19 matches, right?

Training and playing time (at a relevant level) always matters.  However before the age of 18, effective Training becomes more important.  So long as your training for him is nicely set up he should be fine.

It may also be worth reviewing the size of your U19 squad.  If he isn't getting any game time at all it may be because the squad is too large.  Or your U19s Manager may not be very good at rotating players.

Hi. I have problem with set pieces. 

First, I have 2 tall CD and 1 DM. I put them on near, far post, and challenging keeper. 

Howewer, often times during corner kicks one of them were somehow staying back. Most often on the fullback areas. I checked my attacking corner, right and left, it didn't change. They somehow disobey my order. I tried to create a new routine and delete old one, problem persist. Why is this happen? What should I do? 

Hi guys, I noticed in my two strikers formation one of the strikers usually drifts out wide, mostly it's the AF. I used a Poacher for a bit, thinking it's the Move into Channels at fault but saw a similar behaviour. Is there something I can do or is this normal? I need my attacking striker to stay centrally and attack the box.

Edited by Armistice

If I have my wide players set to "cross to target man" but I don't have anyone assigned to a target man role, what happens? Is the cross aim then mixed or does it pick another forward? When Lukaku plays I usually have crossing set to float and him as the target and when Rashford plays upfront I switch to low crosses, but it's a ton of work to switch 4 individual instructions for cross aim every time I make the switch so I wonder how it works.

So far I have played 95% of all my matches with “counter” in the transition phase. However, I play as Man United, and having won everything so far, teams in the league will usually sit deep the entire match even though I get the go ahead goal. I’m thinking about removing “counter” and not select either counter or hold shape. Does that mean that my team will find the correct time to counter or hold shape?

I feel that having counter ticked against teams that sit deep no matter what is counter-productive, as my players will break forward with no real space to explore.

7 hours ago, Hovis Dexter said:

When looking at the attributes of a specific role am I correct in thinking that the ones with a green line to their left are the key attributes for the role and the ones with a blue line are the nice to have attributes.

Yes. Green is for key attributes, and blue for the preferred.

45 minutes ago, Rasmus said:

I’m thinking about removing “counter” and not select either counter or hold shape. Does that mean that my team will find the correct time to counter or hold shape?

It means they will still attempt counters, but not at every single opportunity but only when it looks really promising. Of course, how often it will be depends - among other factors - on your overall tactical setup. 

2 minutes ago, Experienced Defender said:

It means they will still attempt counters, but not at every single opportunity but only when it looks really promising. Of course, how often it will be depends - among other factors - on your overall tactical setup. 

Thats what I thought. I had great succes with a counter-tactic I developed myself, but now that almost everyone refuse to attack me, I no longer see the point of using that strategy, except when facing equal or stronger teams. Time to develop a possession strategy. I hate that.

27 minutes ago, Rasmus said:

Thats what I thought. I had great succes with a counter-tactic I developed myself, but now that almost everyone refuse to attack me, I no longer see the point of using that strategy, except when facing equal or stronger teams. Time to develop a possession strategy. I hate that.

You don't need to have possession, you just need to be more attacking rather than counter-attacking. I've had great success with United the past two years using Attacking with Pass Into Space (among other TIs) managing to absolutely obliterate opponents whilst averaging around 40% possession. It can be terrifying to watch - a lot of highlights where we attack, give it away, they counter, we counter that, they counter that...but usually ends up in a goal for the good guys. 

41 minutes ago, zlatanera said:

You don't need to have possession, you just need to be more attacking rather than counter-attacking. I've had great success with United the past two years using Attacking with Pass Into Space (among other TIs) managing to absolutely obliterate opponents whilst averaging around 40% possession. 

Okay, sounds very interesting. So attacking mentality? High press? I’ve seen too many times on this forum, that pass into space is useless against teams where there is no space to pass into. But maybe I should give it a try. I don’t mind losing possession, I just want to see my players try to get the ball into dangerous areas of the pitch. Any tips on roles and duties on an attacking mentality? My ideal starting eleven: De Gea, Tierney, De Ligt, Skriniar, Cancelo, Rodri, Milinkovic-Savic (couldn’t hold on to Pogba), Martial, Dybala, Sancho, Rashford. I usually play in a 4411, but have been inspired by articles and videos about Ajax this season.

12 minutes ago, Rasmus said:

Okay, sounds very interesting. So attacking mentality? High press? I’ve seen too many times on this forum, that pass into space is useless against teams where there is no space to pass into. But maybe I should give it a try. I don’t mind losing possession, I just want to see my players try to get the ball into dangerous areas of the pitch. Any tips on roles and duties on an attacking mentality? My ideal starting eleven: De Gea, Tierney, De Ligt, Skriniar, Cancelo, Rodri, Milinkovic-Savic (couldn’t hold on to Pogba), Martial, Dybala, Sancho, Rashford. I usually play in a 4411, but have been inspired by articles and videos about Ajax this season.

That's the one I used. Its got the United version 1st post, with a break down of why I did what I did, and a Dortmund version 3rd post. I've also got it working as a 433 with Lyon where the back 4 and instructions are the same. Hope it gives you some inspiration!

30 minutes ago, zlatanera said:

That's the one I used. Its got the United version 1st post, with a break down of why I did what I did, and a Dortmund version 3rd post. I've also got it working as a 433 with Lyon where the back 4 and instructions are the same. Hope it gives you some inspiration!

Very good! I love the 442, but haven’t used it for years. Dybala as CFs, and Rashford as ADV. forward could be lethal. I think the roles you used in your Dortmund save might suit my midfield duo Rodri and Savic better. Can’t use Martial as a forward anymore as i retrained him as ML, so he lost his ability to play as a striker apparently. Would an Inwerted Winger be useful instead of the wide playmaker? Sancho should definitley play as a Winger or Wide Midfielder on the right.

10 hours ago, Hovis Dexter said:

When looking at the attributes of a specific role am I correct in thinking that the ones with a green line to their left are the key attributes for the role and the ones with a blue line are the nice to have attributes.

3 hours ago, Experienced Defender said:

Yes. Green is for key attributes, and blue for the preferred.

Thank you

I've a problem with Junior Coaching, it dropped in one season from exceptional to minimal and I can ask the board only to decrease junior coaching budget.

The clubs worldwide reputation is superb, finances show rich and youth recruitment is extensive. Facilties for training, data analysis and youth are state of the art.

So why has junior coaching dropped so low and when can I ask the board to increase junior coaching budget again?

When I get home from work in a couple of hours I'm planning to create a new FM Touch save with RSC Anderlecht to try and make a 3 at the back tactic work. I just created this tactic and am still undecided on what kind of mentality to play it with. I was just wondering if some of the more knowledgeable people here see some glaring issues with it.

https://www.buildlineup.com/shared/5ca9af1d138c092e24ad3278

(for some reason the image won't show in the post.. trying to upload it directly somewhere)

7 hours ago, yipster1986 said:

When I get home from work in a couple of hours I'm planning to create a new FM Touch save with RSC Anderlecht to try and make a 3 at the back tactic work. I just created this tactic and am still undecided on what kind of mentality to play it with. I was just wondering if some of the more knowledgeable people here see some glaring issues with it.

https://www.buildlineup.com/shared/5ca9af1d138c092e24ad3278

(for some reason the image won't show in the post.. trying to upload it directly somewhere)

While the bottom-heavy formation generally allows for (a bit) more adventurous setup of roles and duties, I would still prefer at least on of the 2 DMs to have a holding-role. More precisely, I would consider changing the RPM into a DLP on defend duty, and then the left WB would be given attack duty, as he would now have more solid defensive cover. But since I don't know your players, I cannot definitely tell you what would be a proper selection of roles and duties overall.

Mentality-wise, I know that Anderlecht is one of the best teams in Belgium, so I assume that in most games you can afford to play a style that is based on controlling possession one way or the other. I would start with Positive mentality. Basic in-possession instructions would include shorter passing, play out of defence and probably work ball into box, while there are couple more that can be added optionally/occasionally/situationally (e.g. be more expressive).

In defense, I would always look to avoid any sort of extremely aggressive defending.

On 03/04/2019 at 12:14, Hanan96 said:

Hi. I have problem with set pieces. 

First, I have 2 tall CD and 1 DM. I put them on near, far post, and challenging keeper. 

Howewer, often times during corner kicks one of them were somehow staying back. Most often on the fullback areas. I checked my attacking corner, right and left, it didn't change. They somehow disobey my order. I tried to create a new routine and delete old one, problem persist. Why is this happen? What should I do? 

Anyone can help on this? 

15 minutes ago, Hanan96 said:

Anyone can help on this? 

Can you post a pic of the ste piece routines, that you notice this in? It will help to spot any erorrs.

If there are none, I'd log this under bug reports - match engine

Edited by plcarlos

Mark tighter asks players to stick particularly tight to their assigned opponent in defensive situations so as to limit the space in which to attack the ball - does this refer to your player or the opposition player attacking the ball?

1 hour ago, Kuchiki said:

Mark tighter asks players to stick particularly tight to their assigned opponent in defensive situations so as to limit the space in which to attack the ball - does this refer to your player or the opposition player attacking the ball?

It refers to preventing an opposition player from attacking/receiving the ball. The aim of marking as a defensive football technique is to cover an opposition player who does not have the ball at the moment, so that he wouldn't be in a position to receive a pass from his teammate who has the ball. Unlike marking, pressing and tackling are applied to the opposition player who is in possession of the ball.

I'm using a "4141 DM Wide" with RSC Anderlecht which looks like this:

DLFa
Ws                           Ws
        RPMs    MZa
              DMd
FBs  CDd    CDd    FBs
              GKd

I'm not doing too shabby but I'm a bit at a loss what attributes to look for in the Mezzala. Currently I'm using Pieter Gerkens in the role and he seems alright for it, scored twice in 3 games so far but I'm looking for a replacement/upgrade. So the questions bogs down to this: "What attributes do you guys look for in a Mezzala with an attack duty?"

24 minutes ago, yipster1986 said:

"What attributes do you guys look for in a Mezzala with an attack duty?"

For a mezzala (on any duty) I look at: off the ball, flair, first touch, passing, technique, vision, dribbling and stamina in the first place. Other preferable attributes IMO include: balance, composure, work rate, teamwork, tackling...

Would I be right in assuming that the (in)famous Christmas Tree formation Carlo Ancelotti employed at times with Milan is the best option I have if I want to employ 5 central midfielders?

Are there any other feasible formations that would allow me to play with 5 midfielders centrally without going strikerless?

4 hours ago, zZzZzZzZzZzZzZz said:

Would I be right in assuming that the (in)famous Christmas Tree formation Carlo Ancelotti employed at times with Milan is the best option I have if I want to employ 5 central midfielders?

The Christmas Tree employs 3 CMs and 2 AMCs, not 5 central mids.

4 hours ago, zZzZzZzZzZzZzZz said:

Are there any other feasible formations that would allow me to play with 5 midfielders centrally without going strikerless?

I don't know what you mean by "feasible formations", but yes - there are. You have 41311narrow, 42121narrow, 42211narrow and 4231narrow. 

Never played 5 but played 4 in a 4132, very solid across the middle. One of the strikers dropped back to the AM position so in effect creating 5. Was a good formation but vulnerable on the flanks at times. Use of 2 carilleros on the wide sides of the 3 are key with high work rates to negate the exposed flanks.

Edited by bamb00zle

How can I break down teams who park the bus I’m playing as Roma and finding I’m usually on top of teams they’re pushed back into the area and my players can’t break them down, ending up in blocked crosses/shots.