Jump to content
Sports Interactive Community
wwfan

Quickfire Questions and Answers Thread (Tactic and Training Questions Only)

Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, phnompenhandy said:

It's also the case that fresh academy kids are highly unpredictable. You can have a kid who looks hopeless but he suddenly blossoms in the second or third season. Conversely, a kid who looks the biz might develop negative character traits along the line, or act the mercenary and force a move away.

With coaching, there is a tipping-point where the coaches' workload shifts from light to average - it depends on the facilities etc but you might notice a point where if you remove one player the load reverts to light, but you're unlikely to have enough youths for it to be an issue.

Thanks.  So it does make sense to keep them on for at least a year or two and monitor progress unless utterly skint!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Harpoon76 said:

Thanks.  So it does make sense to keep them on for at least a year or two and monitor progress unless utterly skint!

Definitely. I generally keep 12-14 of my 15-16 intakers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Same here - I keep most, even the ones i know won't make my squads Mainly trash most at 0.5-1.5 ratings.

Players in the U18's can develop 2 ways - Training is one, but Personality is a huge aspect, and I've seen bad players increase significantly in season 2 after the personality of the squad impacted them vs next to no progress in year 1 of intake.

I also keep a lot due to squad management for the younger teams - The U23 Manager\Staff are incapable of managing players fitness, so will always pick the best, and then i need players to fill in for them. This is compounded by the FA's inability to schedule U23\U18 matches  safely (far too many match schedules such as U23\Rest\U18\Rest\U23\Rest\U23\Rest\U18). The only way i found to get this, is to bring players that are no-where near 1st team level, and make them Available for U18\U23 matches (This post also reminds me to raise this as a bug when I have enough data to post as an issue)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Sebas said:

Bit of a dumb one but does using the dribble less shout makes players with PI's to dribble more often just dribble in the normal setting? or does the TI only work on players with no dribbling setting on their selected roles?

The TI affects all players, but those with the PI "Dribble more" (either hard-coded or manually selected) will still dribble more, though slightly less than they would without the TI.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, turgi said:

Can someone explain a bit about the difference between a dlp(d) and a dm(d)?

One difference is that the playmaker acts as a “ball magnet” as do all playmakers.

Edited by Hovis Dexter

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If I am playing with a positive mentality and have an automatic role in  midfield....

Is the player on Support or Attack mentality?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, madmike said:

If I am playing with a positive mentality and have an automatic role in  midfield....

Is the player on Support or Attack mentality?

If you click on "edit" for his player instructions it will show you the mentality and which duty (Defend / Support / Attack) he's on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Will CD with only 9 bravery and like 11 team work  useful if he have great tackling,marking,headers, positioning, anticipation, decisions, acceleration and pace?

 

with 11 team work offside traps will work worse?

and with 9 bravery he will not try to get the ball ? he will more like only mark than tackle ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, LukasZ_VCF said:

Will CD with only 9 bravery and like 11 team work  useful if he have great tackling,marking,headers, positioning, anticipation, decisions, acceleration and pace?

 

with 11 team work offside traps will work worse?

and with 9 bravery he will not try to get the ball ? he will more like only mark than tackle ?

Low bravery is definitely not u want to see from especially a defender as it is less likely that he will commit himself to block a shot or make a tackle. If he is used on cover duty he should be able to perform well. If for other roles, then u should think twice.

With low teamwork, he will sometimes deviate from the instructions and be more selfish with the ball but it shouldn't be a significant issue from my experience.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, zyfon5 said:

Low bravery is definitely not u want to see from especially a defender as it is less likely that he will commit himself to block a shot or make a tackle. If he is used on cover duty he should be able to perform well. If for other roles, then u should think twice.

With low teamwork, he will sometimes deviate from the instructions and be more selfish with the ball but it shouldn't be a significant issue from my experience.

Great because I am using BPD on cover duty because I have many balls behind their back and he is tall too 189cm :)

I have to replace Murillo and Paulista they are old and attributes are dropping really fast now, but de Ligt is in PSG, Upamecano too, Joe Gomez will not move as well and I can't find any CD with at least 15 pace and acceleration and other attributes like positioning, etc

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why is a B2B midfielder role considered to be a runner in midfield? It's only difference to a CM (S) is the roaming instruction and without the get further forward instruction i feel this role is more of a midfielder with the liberty to move laterally rather than one making runs into the box (ex. Vidal/Nainggolan/Paulinho).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
En 14/2/2019 a las 11:41, Experienced Defender dijo:

The TI affects all players, but those with the PI "Dribble more" (either hard-coded or manually selected) will still dribble more, though slightly less than they would without the TI.

Thanks for you answer! so what happens with players having the trait to dribble more? does it lowers the tendency of them dribbling aswell or just it only affects players dribbling because of their PI's?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Sebas said:

Why is a B2B midfielder role considered to be a runner in midfield? It's only difference to a CM (S) is the roaming instruction and without the get further forward instruction i feel this role is more of a midfielder with the liberty to move laterally rather than one making runs into the box (ex. Vidal/Nainggolan/Paulinho).

It's the only visible difference in terms of PIs, however there are other "under the hood" differences which give the role different behaviour.

8 hours ago, Sebas said:

Thanks for you answer! so what happens with players having the trait to dribble more? does it lowers the tendency of them dribbling aswell or just it only affects players dribbling because of their PI's?

TIs set the starting point.  PIs and Traits add or subtract from there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is there any other downside to giving a 15 year old minutes on the pitch other than if they aren't good enough they will lose morale and slow development?

 

Have a 15 year old regen who is once in a generation at Accrington Stanley. Just promoted to The championship and hes a solid level for League 2 maybe low league 1 at the moment but his attributes suit my counter system perfectly so think he would do a job for me as an impact sub. Want to keep him with me as training with my coaches will benefit him but don't want to ruin him by exposing him too early.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, LukasZ_VCF said:

Great because I am using BPD on cover duty because I have many balls behind their back and he is tall too 189cm :)

I have to replace Murillo and Paulista they are old and attributes are dropping really fast now, but de Ligt is in PSG, Upamecano too, Joe Gomez will not move as well and I can't find any CD with at least 15 pace and acceleration and other attributes like positioning, etc

It really depends on the style that u are using though it can be quite tough to find the perfect defender that excels in all areas so sometimes u will have to prioritize a little bit and see which attributes is most important to you. For me personally I prefer a CB partnership that will complement each other's strengths and weakness

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Marc.Foster050 said:

Is there any other downside to giving a 15 year old minutes on the pitch other than if they aren't good enough they will lose morale and slow development?

 

Have a 15 year old regen who is once in a generation at Accrington Stanley. Just promoted to The championship and hes a solid level for League 2 maybe low league 1 at the moment but his attributes suit my counter system perfectly so think he would do a job for me as an impact sub. Want to keep him with me as training with my coaches will benefit him but don't want to ruin him by exposing him too early.

Whilst game time at a relevant level is always important, Training takes precedence for under 18's development so consider how you are going to train him and how that fits in with the matches he'll play.

If you have him in your senior squad, are your senior squad coaches good for training such a young player?  And if most of his game time will still be with the youth team, how does your senior squad's training plan fit in with the youth team match schedule?

He'll still develop of course, just ask yourself the question if you need him in the senior squad yet or could you wait a few months until say next season when you may be able to give him more than just the odd impact sub appearance?  On the flip side, if he really is that good now then bring him on regularly as a sub (or even give him some starts).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, zyfon5 said:

It really depends on the style that u are using though it can be quite tough to find the perfect defender that excels in all areas so sometimes u will have to prioritize a little bit and see which attributes is most important to you. For me personally I prefer a CB partnership that will complement each other's strengths and weakness

He is 19  3stars out of 5 (last dark)

 

cons: need to improve passing only showing that one...

Diarra.jpg

 

 

Ok so Bravery, Composure and team work (and passing but not that important) are so low... ;/

 

Is there a problem with central defenders ? how come there is so many great strikers and midfielders but all the CD are somehow "damaged"

Edited by LukasZ_VCF

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't know if it's a stupid question but didn't feel it needed it's own thread. Is there any methodology behind how coaches develop? Is it possible to train/develop coaches (particularly younger ones) aside from getting badges, or will they organically increase their stats over time with a club? 

 

Unsure how it works and especially with my youth coaches, wondering whether I need to recruit better coaches as my club (Norwich) gets better, or if it's worth sticking with some of my younger coaches and building them up (if that's even possible)?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎21‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 22:31, LukasZ_VCF said:

He is 19  3stars out of 5 (last dark)

 

cons: need to improve passing only showing that one...

Diarra.jpg

 

 

Ok so Bravery, Composure and team work (and passing but not that important) are so low... ;/

 

Is there a problem with central defenders ? how come there is so many great strikers and midfielders but all the CD are somehow "damaged"

He's young.  He has great defensive attributes already.  I'd play him and see how he develops and fits into the team, regardless of his low Bravery.  If he doesn't work out, at least you tried.  But if he does work out then you'll have a great home grown defender at your club.

Remember - it's always dangerous to look at just one attribute in isolation.  Always take everything into consideration as you're looking for a complete picture and sometimes deficiencies in one area can be masked by other high attributes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, matt_afc said:

Don't know if it's a stupid question but didn't feel it needed it's own thread. Is there any methodology behind how coaches develop? Is it possible to train/develop coaches (particularly younger ones) aside from getting badges, or will they organically increase their stats over time with a club? 

 

Unsure how it works and especially with my youth coaches, wondering whether I need to recruit better coaches as my club (Norwich) gets better, or if it's worth sticking with some of my younger coaches and building them up (if that's even possible)?

Coaches develop over time as they earn their badges and work at your club.  You have little or no control over exactly how they develop, so always keep an eye on how they improve and replace any that don't develop as you want.  A little ruthless perhaps but you aren't running a charity ;).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
En 21/2/2019 a las 5:52, herne79 dijo:

It's the only visible difference in terms of PIs, however there are other "under the hood" differences which give the role different behaviour.

Thanks. i understand that there are lots of other roles with hidden instructions or "under the hood differences" as you say that are not displayed in the PI's interface. Personally i find it very confusing because it makes it harder to differentiate one role from another when there are characteristics of some roles hidden from the player or only vaguely described. 

Is there any kind of guide that defines all these roles with hidden hardcoded behaviours or atleast a list of the roles that essentialy "do more than what their PI's describe"?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 23/02/2019 at 08:58, herne79 said:

Coaches develop over time as they earn their badges and work at your club.  You have little or no control over exactly how they develop, so always keep an eye on how they improve and replace any that don't develop as you want.  A little ruthless perhaps but you aren't running a charity ;).

Thanks, makes sense!

Another question (non-related), Is there a general rule of thumb for whether player attributes are more important than position familiarity (or vice versa)? Example being I have a great natural AMC who has some quality attributes for an AP role, but my system doesn't have a AMC so I'm playing him MC, where he is about 50% accomplished so not natural. However his stats for the position are good and he is performing pretty well on the whole, but more wondering in general is it better to have a quality player in a non-natural position, or a player a couple of points lower quality wise but natural in his position so maybe knows the role better?

Also should note that I am training him in the MC role however coaches are advising he won't develop further (he's 23).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Sebas said:

Is there any kind of guide that defines all these roles with hidden hardcoded behaviours or atleast a list of the roles that essentialy "do more than what their PI's describe"?

The in game role descriptions give you a pretty good idea of how the roles are designed to play.  Your original question concerned little apparent difference between the BBM and CM(S), yet the role descriptions should give you an idea of how the roles function.

It's not "hidden" hardcoded behaviour, just the game's design and coding to help differentiate how various roles perform on the pitch which is about more than just PI differences.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, matt_afc said:

Another question (non-related), Is there a general rule of thumb for whether player attributes are more important than position familiarity (or vice versa)? Example being I have a great natural AMC who has some quality attributes for an AP role, but my system doesn't have a AMC so I'm playing him MC, where he is about 50% accomplished so not natural. However his stats for the position are good and he is performing pretty well on the whole,

You've answered your own question :brock:.  The right attributes for the right role is the most important thing, as your "natural AMC" is proving.

4 minutes ago, matt_afc said:

Also should note that I am training him in the MC role however coaches are advising he won't develop further (he's 23)

Your coaches aren't always right and you are the boss, not them.  Keep training him at MC if that's what you want to do, just keep an eye on him to ensure nothing detrimental happens.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 22/02/2019 at 18:09, matt_afc said:

Don't know if it's a stupid question but didn't feel it needed it's own thread. Is there any methodology behind how coaches develop? Is it possible to train/develop coaches (particularly younger ones) aside from getting badges, or will they organically increase their stats over time with a club? 

 

Unsure how it works and especially with my youth coaches, wondering whether I need to recruit better coaches as my club (Norwich) gets better, or if it's worth sticking with some of my younger coaches and building them up (if that's even possible)?

 

On 23/02/2019 at 08:58, herne79 said:

Coaches develop over time as they earn their badges and work at your club.  You have little or no control over exactly how they develop, so always keep an eye on how they improve and replace any that don't develop as you want.  A little ruthless perhaps but you aren't running a charity ;).

I've noticed that coaches seem to improve in line with the role they have been coaching. So one who is coaching defending will tend to see an improvement in that skill. Similarly to how players improve.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

DM and DLP in dm zone - a key difference? I guess it's vision, but if vision is 8 and he plays in short passes, it's no reason to change dlp to dm isn't?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is it possible to have a back 4 where the full backs are allowed fly forward like wingers but if the right back goes forward, the left back tucks in to form a back 3 and vice versa?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 часа назад, Quacky сказал:

Is it possible to have a back 4 where the full backs are allowed fly forward like wingers but if the right back goes forward, the left back tucks in to form a back 3 and vice versa?

Yes, as I understand you need to use a FB roles, no WB or other. At least I detected the same as you describe recently in my match. I no investigate yet, but I guess it FB roles reason
Please inform me about success :)

Edited by Novem9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Novem9 said:

DM and DLP in dm zone - a key difference? I guess it's vision, but if vision is 8 and he plays in short passes, it's no reason to change dlp to dm isn't?

DLP is a playmaker ergo players will seek him out when in possession, whereas DM they'll treat him equally with all other non-playmaker roles. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why does using the play out of defence TI in conjuction with shorter passing seemingly makes my defenders passing more direct?

Only instructions are:

  • Balanced Mentality
  • Shorter Passing

Central defender before POOD:

ZhLs2hd.png

Same player after POOD:

Q5b7OQo.png

Edited by Sebas

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In 

 

I posted this:

On 17/02/2019 at 16:50, Jorgen said:

As I read in the first post that training is completely overhauled for FM19, what topic should I then read for FM18?

I coundn't find a recent one with the search function or the pinned topics in this forum.

Could someone explain to me how training works in FM18 and how to make your players really better, or point me to a decent topic where I can read about it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Sebas said:

Why does using the play out of defence TI in conjuction with shorter passing seemingly makes my defenders passing more direct?

Only instructions are:

  • Balanced Mentality
  • Shorter Passing

Central defender before POOD:

ZhLs2hd.png

Same player after POOD:

Q5b7OQo.png

I think this is more of a user-interface issue than what's actually happening in the game (i.e. the match engine).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Jorgen said:

Could someone explain to me how training works in FM18 and how to make your players really better, or point me to a decent topic where I can read about it?

At the top of the forum is a pinned thread titled "Please Read".  In there you'll find lots of guides.  Start with this one.  In particular look at the sections labelled Pre-Season; Sorting out the Squads (Youth Development Case Study); and In Season Training.

Lots of other useful guides there too but that should give you a decent idea to begin with.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How do I get my AMR to play as central as I can?

I want his average position when team in possession nearly a shadow striker.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@herne79 Thank you. I did read the pinned threads, but almost all posts where from around 2016/2017 or older, so I was not sure if they still aplied to FM18. I will read the post you mentioned. :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 25/02/2019 at 03:09, turgi said:

How do I get my AMR to play as central as I can?

I want his average position when team in possession nearly a shadow striker.

Tell him to sit narrower (if the PI is available for the role you play him in).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 25/02/2019 at 02:09, turgi said:

How do I get my AMR to play as central as I can?

I want his average position when team in possession nearly a shadow striker.

 

3 hours ago, Experienced Defender said:

Tell him to sit narrower (if the PI is available for the role you play him in).

Use the AMCR position?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Rashidi

In your YT videos how did u make players moving while you were showing them on the pitch with dots for certain role how will they move?

 

Is there a way to check each role with each duty how will they move on the pitch ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was using a custom skin someone made for me specifically for that show. I don't like using that cos it shows roles and duties

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Rashidi said:

I was using a custom skin someone made for me specifically for that show. I don't like using that cos it shows roles and duties

But is there a way to check how theoretically the players should move on the pitch ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LukasZ_VCF said:

But is there a way to check how theoretically the players should move on the pitch ?

Erm as in a visual indicator, no.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Rashidi said:

Arrows no, but heatmap you can check in game for each playing position

yea but I am looking for something more theoreticall, because in game TI,PI, OI, traits, etc can make it different

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My inside forward on the left, so in the AML position, won't cut inside because it conflicts with his PPM of "Runs with ball down the right".  Should I report this as a bug or am I misunderstanding something?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...