Quickfire Questions and Answers Thread (Tactic and Training Questions Only)

I have a question about inverted wingbacks, I play a formation with two defensive midfielders, one a BWM-D and the other a VOL-A, am I understanding the role description of the inverted wingback correctly in saying that he will not cut inside into the space left behind the segundo volante as I have two defensive mids?

• Replies 17.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So I have GK who is very long in the club and is like very loyal or profesional I think, with determination 17 or 18 if I will create new mentoring group with him and put young players of any posiotion will he improve their personality and determination ? He has no traits etc so it will not be moved to them...

3 hours ago, zZzZzZzZzZzZzZz said:

I have a question about inverted wingbacks, I play a formation with two defensive midfielders, one a BWM-D and the other a VOL-A, am I understanding the role description of the inverted wingback correctly in saying that he will not cut inside into the space left behind the segundo volante as I have two defensive mids?

No. He still will. They just might be a bit slower getting inside while the Vol works up the field.

10 minutes ago, raffi40 said:

Hey friends, I have a problem in training, the players complain 'feels getting enough during a coaching tactical' how to overcome it? thank you

do you mean "not getting enough attention" or "not getting enough tactical training". If its the former, try adjusting your coaches workloads. If it's the latter, schedule a couple of tactical training sessions. 

14 minutes ago, zlatanera said:

do you mean "not getting enough attention" or "not getting enough tactical training". If its the former, try adjusting your coaches workloads. If it's the latter, schedule a couple of tactical training sessions. 

"Try adjusting your coach's workload" how? can you explain it, sorry i don't understand it hehe

12 minutes ago, raffi40 said:

"Try adjusting your coach's workload" how? can you explain it, sorry i don't understand it hehe

1930810851_Screenshot2019-01-18at15_05_35.thumb.png.73e3c4ccc617f6da51dd9fe454e4fcc4.png

On the left click "Training" then at the top "Coaches"

138246514_Screenshot2019-01-18at15_06_25.thumb.png.b20e10c48ef13a38e402b056157bd214.png

As you can see here, my Defending-Technical coaching workload is heavy. I would then click "Edit Coaching Assignments".

226972520_Screenshot2019-01-18at15_07_37.thumb.png.2c021486752409fc59cd805351812055.png

You get this screen - either adjust them yourself or click "Ask Assistant to Assign". I always plump for the latter.

18 minutes ago, zlatanera said:

1930810851_Screenshot2019-01-18at15_05_35.thumb.png.73e3c4ccc617f6da51dd9fe454e4fcc4.png

On the left click "Training" then at the top "Coaches"

138246514_Screenshot2019-01-18at15_06_25.thumb.png.b20e10c48ef13a38e402b056157bd214.png

As you can see here, my Defending-Technical coaching workload is heavy. I would then click "Edit Coaching Assignments".

226972520_Screenshot2019-01-18at15_07_37.thumb.png.2c021486752409fc59cd805351812055.png

You get this screen - either adjust them yourself or click "Ask Assistant to Assign". I always plump for the latter.

Thank you very much friend

Regarding coaches and workload: Is there any downside to letting 'extra' coaches help out *everywhere*? Their stars won't feature into the calculation and they reduce all the leading coaches' workloads. I also haven't found a happyness or stress rating that might feature in there. 

Also, does anyone have a list what training modules count under what category? 

Do coaches and other kinds of staff increase their attributes through other means than coaching qualifications? Or is it only through the qualifications themselves?

Or in other words: Is it worth signing younger staff with high PA, low CA missing one or more coaching qualifications? 

And a short follow-up question: Are there any set value for how much the CA increases from one single coaching qualification? I.e can he increase from 90 - > 150 or is it always a set value? 

I have seen different answers to these questions before, and the in-game helper does not yield much. 

When playing a tiki-taka (short passing) playing style, but the weather is bad, what changes make sense without having to mess-up the game plan? I just played Atletico Madrid away in bad conditions and I was massively outplayed!

Is there an explanation why Move Into Channels and Stay Wider are conflicting?
The Mezzala role has both of them ticked, so I thought they are complementary. But for an Attacking Midfielder in AMCL/AMCR  position the UI allows to tick only one of them. And I can't decide which one to use in order to encourage this player to occupy tha half-space.

32 minutes ago, cocoadavid said:

Is there an explanation why Move Into Channels and Stay Wider are conflicting?
The Mezzala role has both of them ticked, so I thought they are complementary. But for an Attacking Midfielder in AMCL/AMCR  position the UI allows to tick only one of them. And I can't decide which one to use in order to encourage this player to occupy tha half-space.

My Best experiences are to tick Stay Wider instead of Moves into channels when it comes to those two positions. Especially if you want the player in the half space on that side. Moves into channels makes the player moves more horizontally which means he will also moves into more central areas - but also wide. Thats what I experienced. 

On a personal note - I think the player instructions Stay Wider for CMs and AMs are one of the Best things about FM19. 

4 minutes ago, Gegenklaus said:

My Best experiences are to tick Stay Wider instead of Moves into channels when it comes to those two positions. Especially if you want the player in the half space on that side. Moves into channels makes the player moves more horizontally which means he will also moves into more central areas - but also wide. Thats what I experienced. 

On a personal note - I think the player instructions Stay Wider for CMs and AMs are one of the Best things about FM19. 

Thanks! I also love the Stay Wider PI, I've been praying for it for years. 

Just now, cocoadavid said:

Thanks! I also love the Stay Wider PI, I've been praying for it for years. 

Yes! It’s literally for CMs/AMs an instruction to be in the half space. Makes you able to split your midfielder and make better use of the whole pitch as I have always disliked that CM’s and AM’s played so close to each other. :)

Should I change my HOYD from Peters to Samaden or someone else if is there someone better?

Samaden have better HOYD attributes but worse personality?

And if I play 4-4-2 Peters will get me more natural players to that formation ?

Should I go for better attributes ?

Peters.jpg.0411c06164edf914038131e1c77bff68.jpg

samaden.jpg.4d74db7dd8c4b36b0fb96032914d328f.jpg

Does anyone know just how many starts and/or substitute appearances each level of contract (Key Player, First Team, Rotation, Backup) expect?

I remember reading it was the last 5 games, but I keep getting guys unhappy for example Marius Wolf has 1 start in the last 5 and is on a backup contract, so he's complaining, would a sub appearance as well have placated him? Because he's not getting any more starts when there's two 1st teamers and a rotation option ahead of him for wide roles. 

Shinji Kagawa (Rotation) meanwhile was unhappy, yet 3 starts in 5 games didn't make him happy. Surely he can't expect more than that?

Edited by zlatanera

1 hour ago, zlatanera said:

Does anyone know just how many starts and/or substitute appearances each level of contract (Key Player, First Team, Rotation, Backup) expect?

I remember reading it was the last 5 games, but I keep getting guys unhappy for example Marius Wolf has 1 start in the last 5 and is on a backup contract, so he's complaining, would a sub appearance as well have placated him? Because he's not getting any more starts when there's two 1st teamers and a rotation option ahead of him for wide roles. 

Shinji Kagawa (Rotation) meanwhile was unhappy, yet 3 starts in 5 games didn't make him happy. Surely he can't expect more than that?

There is no hard-and-fast rule for it, but my general rule of thumb is:

Key Player - start 60% competitive game

First Team - Starts 50% competitive games

Rotation - 40% competitive games

Backup - don't take much notice of their appearances, they are only needed as backups, but similar to the Rotation.

The last 5 game thing is, I believe, simply a reflection on current form. I usually run a rolling 'last ten game' check and give the lower statuses starts in less important matches to keep them happy.

So, looking at your examples:

"Marius Wolf has 1 start in the last 5 and is on a backup contract" - for this individual I would perhaps look at getting him up towards the 40% mark.

"Shinji Kagawa (Rotation) meanwhile was unhappy, yet 3 starts in 5 games" - Kagawa is a player who probably thinks he is higher that a Rotation player anyway. Give him the same number of appearances over the next five games and he might be happier.

NOTE:

The player personality, your interactions with them and a number of other factors can influence their happiness with playing times. Marius Wolf for example - the two first-teamers ahead of him can cover that position for the whole season. (barring injuries) so I would probably only have an u23 on Hot Prospect as third choice there, rather than a Rotation status. I would be asking myself if it is worth loaning him out for development (getting First Team or KP at another club) or getting rid altogether.

When it comes to contract status, getting a good balance across the first team squad can help enormously with Dynamics and squad happiness. I do a full review every summer as players don;t complain about status change so much then. (Do it when they are on holiday)

For a balanced squad, I aim for no more than four Key Players, 7 First Team, 10-11 Rotation/Backup and then Hot Prospects making up the rest. Ideally, 3KP, 7FT, 11Rot/BU and a bunch of Hot Prospects. With this spread, I rarely have to concern myself with playing time, as fatigue, tactical change and injuries will ensure most of them get enough playing time over the course of the season.

NOTE2:

Substitute appearances don;t count as far as I am aware, they need to be starting places, and in competitive games. 

Edited by Snorks

56 minutes ago, Snorks said:

There is no hard-and-fast rule for it, but my general rule of thumb is:

Key Player - start 60% competitive game

First Team - Starts 50% competitive games

Rotation - 40% competitive games

Backup - don't take much notice of their appearances, they are only needed as backups, but similar to the Rotation.

The last 5 game thing is, I believe, simply a reflection on current form. I usually run a rolling 'last ten game' check and give the lower statuses starts in less important matches to keep them happy.

So, looking at your examples:

"Marius Wolf has 1 start in the last 5 and is on a backup contract" - for this individual I would perhaps look at getting him up towards the 40% mark.

"Shinji Kagawa (Rotation) meanwhile was unhappy, yet 3 starts in 5 games" - Kagawa is a player who probably thinks he is higher that a Rotation player anyway. Give him the same number of appearances over the next five games and he might be happier.

NOTE:

The player personality, your interactions with them and a number of other factors can influence their happiness with playing times. Marius Wolf for example - the two first-teamers ahead of him can cover that position for the whole season. (barring injuries) so I would probably only have an u23 on Hot Prospect as third choice there, rather than a Rotation status. I would be asking myself if it is worth loaning him out for development (getting First Team or KP at another club) or getting rid altogether.

When it comes to contract status, getting a good balance across the first team squad can help enormously with Dynamics and squad happiness. I do a full review every summer as players don;t complain about status change so much then. (Do it when they are on holiday)

For a balanced squad, I aim for no more than four Key Players, 7 First Team, 10-11 Rotation/Backup and then Hot Prospects making up the rest. Ideally, 3KP, 7FT, 11Rot/BU and a bunch of Hot Prospects. With this spread, I rarely have to concern myself with playing time, as fatigue, tactical change and injuries will ensure most of them get enough playing time over the course of the season.

NOTE2:

Substitute appearances don;t count as far as I am aware, they need to be starting places, and in competitive games. 

Cheers for a detailed answer. You could be right about the last 5 game thing no matching - I just mentioned it because in the 5-game period before the one where Wolf became unhappy he'd had one start but come on for the last 30 minutes in 2 other games. 

If ability is what counts I'm going to have to keep a close eye on my dynamics page - all 4 of my CBs are rated 3 stars.

r.e. Kagawa I've arranged a move for him at the end of the season - he piped down about any concerns other than a minor one about appearances, but I can't see it escalating when he's leaving. Wolf's spot normally would be for a youngster yes, just in this case I'm trying to see how I can do with no incomings or outgoings for an update to my 442 thread, I guess I'll just hope I can keep him happy before getting rid in summer. 

Do you think a player's positional ability counts towards their idea of how much they should be playing? I have Götze (natural AMC and ST) as a striker and Phillip (AMC / ST) and Alcacer (ST) seem to be constantly on the verge of complaining - perhaps because when I look the coach report at ST they're both rated higher than Götze? 

11 minutes ago, zlatanera said:

Do you think a player's positional ability counts towards their idea of how much they should be playing? I have Götze (natural AMC and ST) as a striker and Phillip (AMC / ST) and Alcacer (ST) seem to be constantly on the verge of complaining - perhaps because when I look the coach report at ST they're both rated higher than Götze? 

No problem.

I think the player's own perception of their ability can have a big impact yes. This comes down to professionalism, ambition and personalities. 

As for the three strikers. without knowing their stats and attributes, or your tactic it's hard to advise, but all three are good players and all would manage KP status at other clubs I am sure.

Assuming you have a single striker, playing with an AMC in behind, then Goetze as a KP, Phillip as First Teamer and Alcacer could also get away with First Team status - you can play Goetze and Phillip in most games as ST and AMC (either one) with Goetze as AMC when Phillip comes in for half the games. However, you are making things more difficult than they need to be.

For ST, in a one up top formation, I would only have First Team status for two players and no KP. That covers me if one goes off form, or if one can;t get into the team because the other is scoring heaps you can say "Look at the way he is playing " to fend off grumblings. But over a season you could easily manage a rough 50/50 split (give or take 10)

With a 2 ST formation, you can manage a KP and 2 FT between three of them. Especially as two can also play in the AMC slot.

Edited by Snorks

11 minutes ago, Snorks said:

No problem.

I think the player's own perception of their ability can have a big impact yes. This comes down to professionalism, ambition and personalities. 

As for the three strikers. without knowing their stats and attributes, or your tactic it's hard to advise, but all three are good players and all would manage KP status at other clubs I am sure.

Assuming you have a single striker, playing with an AMC in behind, then Goetze as a KP, Phillip as First Teamer and Alcacer could also get away with First Team status - you can play Goetze and Phillip in most games as ST and AMC (either one) with Goetze as AMC when Phillip comes in for half the games. However, you are making things more difficult than they need to be.

For ST, in a one up top formation, I would only have First Team status for two players and no KP. That covers me if one goes off form, or if one can;t get into the team because the other is scoring heaps you can say "Look at the way he is playing " to fend off grumblings. But over a season you could easily manage a rough 50/50 split (give or take 10)

With a 2 ST formation, you can manage a KP and 2 FT between three of them. Especially as two can also play in the AMC slot.

Yeah I'm playing 1 striker with Reus as AMC, the idea being for Götze to drop and feed Reus. So far it either isn't working especially well, or Reus is fluffing his chances - Götze is our top scorer, and Sancho out wide on the left is top for assists. 

There's no way Phillip or Alcacer is squeezing either of them out though, so I guess I'll just monitor the Dynamics page and every time their happiness with playing time isn't green I'll throw them a start :) 

• SI Staff
17 hours ago, zlatanera said:

To add to this, just because a player has X status on their contract does not mean that is how they perceive themselves. A player on a "Backup" status could have progressed to the point where he believes he should be a starter, playing him as a backup only will not placate him anymore.

3 minutes ago, Seb Wassell said:

To add to this, just because a player has X status on their contract does not mean that is how they perceive themselves. A player on a "Backup" status could have progressed to the point where he believes he should be a starter, playing him as a backup only will not placate him anymore.

Makes sense. That's clearly where I was going wrong - Wolf has an inflated sense of self-worth but Kagawa was rated as good as, if not better than, any other options in his position. Although looking at his previous levels of appearances in real life (although I don't know about injuries) it appears the real Kagawa is happy with rotation. At least I understand it now though. 

22 minutes ago, Tyrinko said:

Quick question - Can be Winger on attack your primary goalscorer?? Idea is that he stretch defence for himself and create gap between CB and FB, where he can run/pass can go for him. 
Example of front three - IFs - DLFa - Wa

The nature of the role makes it unlikely - it has "Cross more often" and "Cross from byline" selected from memory, which will lend it towards making assists. However, if you have a player with low Teamwork, good Finishing and some suitable traits - perhaps "Gets Into Opposition Area" it could work. 

38 minutes ago, Tyrinko said:

Quick question - Can be Winger on attack your primary goalscorer?? Idea is that he stretch defence for himself and create gap between CB and FB, where he can run/pass can go for him. 

Not very likely that he will be the primary goalscorer, but not impossible either. However, he will be more likely to score if the striker (in your example DLF) would be on support duty (instead of attack). And if you want to make a winger on attack a major goalscorer, creating overloads that would favor him can help a lot.

48 minutes ago, Tyrinko said:

That's a Raumdeuter ;).

On 16/10/2018 at 07:58, herne79 said:

For FM18 it's a pointless feature which has no discernible impact.  So "Skip Briefing" is perfectly valid.

For FM19 we don't yet know if this has changed, so something to try out when it arrives.

did this get confirmed or it is still minimal impact/useless? 

45 minutes ago, wkdsoul said:

did this get confirmed or it is still minimal impact/useless? 

No confirmation but some anecdotes: It appears to play somewhat of a role in player body language and expectations. After my initial failure I deliberately botched a few briefings and it almost always resulted in an awkward mood in the dressing room with the players being harder to impress and motivate.

At least the UI also says it can improve or decrease morale when something goes particularly well or bad. 

15 hours ago, Experienced Defender said:

I think no. Not sure though, as I haven't used a RMD in FM19 so far, but as far as I remember, he has hard-coded PIs of "Move into channels" and "Roam from position".

You are right. In FM19 the Raumdeuter doesn't have "stay narrow". I will try to setup my tactics to create scoring machine from my Raumdeuter.

49 minutes ago, jujigatame said:

Is there a way to encourage roaming without using the generic "be more expressive" which I think will do other things like increase creative freedom?

Use the player instruction "Roam from position" for the players you want to roam. Btw, the "Be more expressive" TI encourages both creative freedom and freedom of movement.

What would be the lowest level of the league and training facilities that you would loan one of your players with good potential like 4-5 stars that are 18 and you can't really give him too much opportunity to play in your first team in Spain (Valencia) ?

For example if I have offer to loan him from 3rd league in Spain with good or great facilities would it be good to loan him there ?

For example in one season will he develop enough there so someone from 1st league would like to loan him (I only agree to first team or key player offers)?

1 hour ago, LukasZ_VCF said:

What would be the lowest level of the league and training facilities that you would loan one of your players with good potential like 4-5 stars that are 18 and you can't really give him too much opportunity to play in your first team in Spain (Valencia) ?

For example if I have offer to loan him from 3rd league in Spain with good or great facilities would it be good to loan him there ?

For example in one season will he develop enough there so someone from 1st league would like to loan him (I only agree to first team or key player offers)?

Once a player hits 18 match time at a relevant level becomes more important for development.  So if loaning, look for clubs at around his level of ability who are offering at least first team (ideally key player) status.  Good facilities will also be useful, but consider his playing time first.  (And don't forget you have affiliate clubs).

9 minutes ago, herne79 said:

Once a player hits 18 match time at a relevant level becomes more important for development.  So if loaning, look for clubs at around his level of ability who are offering at least first team (ideally key player) status.  Good facilities will also be useful, but consider his playing time first.  (And don't forget you have affiliate clubs).

Yea but I saw in my affiliate club Valencia Mestalla (B-team who is in 2nd league and it's like the other team that can transfer players only when window is open) they don't develop well...they should ?

And other affiliate clubs are probably worse than B-team...

How to know at what level he should play ? I mean player have good stats and he could play in weaker teams in 1st league but they don't want to loan him probably because of reputation since player is not well known and played only in U-19 or B-team...

And playing with team from 1st league with weak training facilities will be better than playing in 2nd league with much better facilities?

Edited by LukasZ_VCF

4 hours ago, LukasZ_VCF said:

How to know at what level he should play ? I mean player have good stats and he could play in weaker teams in 1st league but they don't want to loan him probably because of reputation since player is not well known and played only in U-19 or B-team...

And playing with team from 1st league with weak training facilities will be better than playing in 2nd league with much better facilities?

In your coach report it usually says something like "well-suited to Segunda football" in the red column (because that's below your level) and "could become a leading La Liga player in the future" in the green column if they have a lot of potential.

As herne said, depends which level he's suited to - if you loan him to a 1st league team and he's not ready for it and does't play, that's much worse than 30 starts for a 2nd league team. 

6 hours ago, 3LionsFM said:

If I selected Counter Press and lower defensive line and lower line of engagement will the team fall back into defensive positions if the press is unsuccessful. 

I rarely use the CP, but AFAIK - defenders and def mids (if you use any) do not participate in CP, but all others do. And they will eventually get back into positions, but that has nothing to do with the setup of DL and LOE. The CP is about trying to win the ball back immediately after you've lost it, and the risk is that a few of your players (the nearest ones) will simultaneously press the opposition player who has the ball at the moment, so if they fail to win the ball, there will be more space for the opposition to exploit behind those applying CP.

2 hours ago, jujigatame said:

What's the functional difference between using a 4-2CM-3-1 and a 4-2DM-3-1 if you keep all the roles and duties the same?  Will the DMs defend deeper?  Will they stay deeper when attacking?  Both?  Neither?

You cannot keep roles and duties the same for the CM/DMs, except for roles such as BWM, DLP and RPM, which can be deployed in bot CM and DM positions. 

DMs will naturally defend deeper than CMs. How deep/high a player in a DM position will stay when you attack depends on his role and duty. An anchor will certainly stay deeper than volante (for example).

In essence, the main difference between the two versions of 4231 is that the standard one (with CMs) is better suited for a control-possession style, whereas the deeper one (2 DMs) is more conservative and hence provides a nice base for counter-attacking football.