Quickfire Questions and Answers Thread (Tactic and Training Questions Only)

• Replies 17.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

14 hours ago, bosque said:

If team shape is removed in FM19 then all tactics play on flexible now? 

No. Your tactics screen shows you what shape you're using. You can't change it directly but it changes according to the roles and duties you give your players. It basically boils down to: few support duties - structured; more support duties - flexible; lots of support duties - fluid.

10 hours ago, phnompenhandy said:

No. Your tactics screen shows you what shape you're using

It's not the "shape" but team fluidity, which is just a label and has nothing to do with the team shape setting that existed in previous FM versions. Herne, Cleon and Rashidi have explained that a number of times already.

Are players training or improving this hidden attributes? For example I had players with few "cons" like one with bad keeping form, one with bad important matches said by scout and now I have like 0 "cons" so they improved or ... ?

And if they did improve is it taking CA points?

Edited by LukasZ_VCF

27 minutes ago, LukasZ_VCF said:

Are players training or improving this hidden attributes? For example I had players with few "cons" like one with bad keeping form, one with bad important matches said by scout and now I have like 0 "cons" so they improved or ... ?

And if they did improve is it taking CA points?

Sounds like they improved hidden attributes 'consistency' and 'important matches'. They don't improve through training but through relevant match experience - and possibly mentoring. Are they in mentor groups?

Maybe not a stupid question, but what exactly counts as a dribble in the stats? If my DM playmaker (in this case Frenkie de Jong playing as a Regista) receives the ball from the GK / CBs, takes 3 or 4 strides forwards then plays a pass, does this count as a dribble? Or is it only if the player goes past an opponent?

Quick question....

Can a tactic be too simple to be successful in the higher divisions/Europe?

I play a 442

GK,

FBS, CB, CB, WBS

W, DLP, CMA, IW

DLF, AF

No team instructions or Player Instructions and just left on Balanced. I move to Cautious and Positive depending on team

Do I need to do  more the higher I go up? 

22 minutes ago, kstoyle said:

Quick question....

Can a tactic be too simple to be successful in the higher divisions/Europe?

I play a 442

GK,

FBS, CB, CB, WBS

W, DLP, CMA, IW

DLF, AF

No team instructions or Player Instructions and just left on Balanced. I move to Cautious and Positive depending on team

Do I need to do  more the higher I go up? 

What is a good (or bad) tactic primarily depends on players you have in your team. There is nothing wrong in the tactic you described here in and of itself (though you didn't mention the duties of your W, IW and DLP). As for team/player instructions, you don't need (too) many of them (and I personally prefer to use as few as possible), but it's advisable to apply just a couple of them in each section of tactics (possession, transition, defence), in order to more closely define your playing style. However, if you aren't sure as to which ones you should use, you can leave them on the default settings and then tweak a little during the matches according to what you notice on the pitch. Because tactical decisions should also take the (type of) opposition you are playing against into account.

15 hours ago, Fritz13 said:

What should I do if I have a player who has green arrows for 10+ attributes but always a red one for determination?

he is being mentored via a group

mentoring has that effect in my squad. The higher det lads att drops and everyone ends up with 10. Put him in a mentoring group where the influential guys have higher det. If there aren't any, maybe stop mentoring him.

4 hours ago, phnompenhandy said:

mentoring has that effect in my squad. The higher det lads att drops and everyone ends up with 10. Put him in a mentoring group where the influential guys have higher det. If there aren't any, maybe stop mentoring him.

:thup:

4 hours ago, Karnack said:

"Unhappy with lack of attention for core unit" - Not sure what to do about this? How do I give the core unit more attention?

If he's a GK, schedule a couple of sessions of GK training, if he's in the defensive unit make sure you set a focus where they're the primary focus (i.e. Defending training), if he's in the attacking unit do likewise.

8 minutes ago, zlatanera said:

If he's a GK, schedule a couple of sessions of GK training, if he's in the defensive unit make sure you set a focus where they're the primary focus (i.e. Defending training), if he's in the attacking unit do likewise.

Thanks for info! I have players from all three units complaining about it :D Guess I need to get a new Assistant or take over training myself then!

8 minutes ago, Karnack said:

Thanks for info! I have players from all three units complaining about it :D Guess I need to get a new Assistant or take over training myself then!

Not necessarily, just add a couple of extra sessions to what your assistant has scheduled. I generally do all 4 goalkeeper focusses in the first week of each international break, which seems to keep everyone happy.

11 minutes ago, LukasZ_VCF said:

Can player train new position and become natural in it  ?

It's possible yes, but not all players will be capable of doing so and younger players may typically be more inclined to do so than older players.  However, you may find that getting a player to "Accomplished" is far easier than getting him all the way to "Natural" and the benefits of getting him from accomplished to natural will probably be fairly negligible.

46 minutes ago, LukasZ_VCF said:

what about player traits ? how much CA they cost 1 trait =1ca or more and it depends of which one ?

Is it worth it to put on GK fast throwing the ball to start a counter attack ?

Traits have no impact on CA (except training the weaker foot, and that's only an indirect impact).

If you want the GK to start counters then sure it can help.

33 minutes ago, LukasZ_VCF said:

Hmm on the other topic someone said that traits take CA.

Yes, all traits and attributes cost CA.

As I previously said, Traits (aka PPMs) do not cost CA (with the exception of training a weaker foot which does indirectly and nowhere near as much as some people believe).

Most visible attributes do cost CA, although some (such as Determination) do not.  Hidden attributes also do not cost CA.

If someone is saying that all traits and attributes cost CA, they are wrong.

using a 442/4441 with the 2 wide midfielders set in those roles, left on attack, right on support, ideally when the ball is on the left I want my right midfielder to come infield to allow more space for my attacking right back, have tried sit narrower and/or roam from position without much affect, is it the actual role as wide midfielder that's the problem?

36 minutes ago, GJS93 said:

using a 442/4441 with the 2 wide midfielders set in those roles, left on attack, right on support, ideally when the ball is on the left I want my right midfielder to come infield to allow more space for my attacking right back, have tried sit narrower and/or roam from position without much affect, is it the actual role as wide midfielder that's the problem?

What traits does the right midfielder have? If he has something like "Hugs Line" or "Runs down right" it might be keeping him wide.

Alternately, you can use "overlap right" which increases the mentality of RB / RWB and decreases it on RM / AMR - the full back bombing forward might encourage the midfielder to drift infield. 

How do i best utilise low work rate players? My team is full of them especially in attack.

The only playing style i can think of is slow possession football with a higher line and (very) structured mentality so my attackers don't have to track back or close down too much.

Is there anything else i can do?

3 hours ago, hxp said:

How do i best utilise low work rate players? My team is full of them especially in attack.

The only playing style i can think of is slow possession football with a higher line and (very) structured mentality so my attackers don't have to track back or close down too much.

Is there anything else i can do?

Sorry, but there is no such thing as "structured mentality" in FM. Even structured (or any other) team shape no longer exists in FM19. Perhaps you meant "structured team fluidity"? But that's something quite different.

vor 5 Minuten schrieb Experienced Defender:

Sorry, but there is no such thing as "structured mentality" in FM. Even structured (or any other) team shape no longer exists in FM19. Perhaps you meant "structured team fluidity"? But that's something quite different.

You're right, i ment team shape not mentality.

I'm still playing fm18 by the way.

5 minutes ago, hxp said:

You're right, i ment team shape not mentality.

I'm still playing fm18 by the way.

Okay then. So if you have low work-rate players, a high d-line is not a good idea. For two reasons:

1. it increases the overall pressing level, which is obviously a bad idea when your players are lazy

2. a high(er) d-line leaves more space behind your back-line for the opposition to exploit via balls over the top/killer passes, and if your defenders are also among those with a poor work ethic, you are logically asking for trouble

On the other hand, a more structured team shape is basically a good idea in and of itself, but you also need to consider other aspects of the tactic (formation, mentality, roles and duties, team and player instructions).

And bear in mind that Mentality automatically affects all other tactical settings/instructions.

2 minutes ago, ShirazS said:

Which positions would have roaming turned on with the TI?

None. Because (as you yourself noted) there isn't the Roam TI anymore. Just PI. So if you want a specific player to roam, you need to instruct him via his PIs (provided it's available for that role).

4 minutes ago, Experienced Defender said:

None. Because (as you yourself noted) there isn't the Roam TI anymore. Just PI. So if you want a specific player to roam, you need to instruct him via his PIs (provided it's available for that role).

I know that in FM19 this is the case but I'm asking about previous versions. So when I used the 'Roam From Positions' TI in FM18, I assume that only certain positions would have been told to roam because asking DC's to roam doesn't seem like the best idea.

Edited by ShirazS

11 minutes ago, ShirazS said:

I know that in FM19 this is the case but I'm asking about previous versions. So when I used the 'Roam From Positions' TI in FM18, I assume that only certain positions would have been told to roam because asking DC's to roam doesn't seem like the best idea.

Well, I would logically assume the Roam TI allows roaming only to the roles that already have that option in their PIs, either as hard-coded or optional. Not 100% sure though, but I think I know who could help on this question @herne79 @Rashidi @Cleon

vor 3 Stunden schrieb Experienced Defender:

Okay then. So if you have low work-rate players, a high d-line is not a good idea. For two reasons:

1. it increases the overall pressing level, which is obviously a bad idea when your players are lazy

2. a high(er) d-line leaves more space behind your back-line for the opposition to exploit via balls over the top/killer passes, and if your defenders are also among those with a poor work ethic, you are logically asking for trouble

On the other hand, a more structured team shape is basically a good idea in and of itself, but you also need to consider other aspects of the tactic (formation, mentality, roles and duties, team and player instructions).

And bear in mind that Mentality automatically affects all other tactical settings/instructions.

1. True but wouldn't a (very) structured team shape and player roles on (A) prevent my attackers from working too hard defensively? I basically just want them to steer opposition players into areas where i want to win the ball, either down the wing to my wing backs or centrally to my two DM's.

2. My defenders and DM's have quite high work rate. I have a stopper/cover duo that should be able to play a high d-line, might play offside trap though.

Just to be clear these are the work rates of my attackers: 13 (ST), 11 (LW), 9 (CAM/CM) and 12 (RW), their stamina isn't great either. I was just promoted to Ligue 1 so that's the lowest work rate average in the league when excluding defenders.

If i played a low d-line how would i even transition to attack? I would usually do it with high tempo but with low work rate and stamina in attack that's not going to work very well.

25 minutes ago, hxp said:

1. True but wouldn't a (very) structured team shape and player roles on (A) prevent my attackers from working too hard defensively? I basically just want them to steer opposition players into areas where i want to win the ball, either down the wing to my wing backs or centrally to my two DM's.

2. My defenders and DM's have quite high work rate. I have a stopper/cover duo that should be able to play a high d-line, might play offside trap though.

Just to be clear these are the work rates of my attackers: 13 (ST), 11 (LW), 9 (CAM/CM) and 12 (RW), their stamina isn't great either. I was just promoted to Ligue 1 so that's the lowest work rate average in the league when excluding defenders.

If i played a low d-line how would i even transition to attack? I would usually do it with high tempo but with low work rate and stamina in attack that's not going to work very well.

Don't just look at work rate (or any other attribute for that matter) in isolation.  Players have many attributes, all of which combine to make up a complete picture.  So as an example for work rate, it's the player's mental drive - his willingness - to work hard.  But that's meaningless if he doesn't have the physical characteristics to do so.  Or the decision making capacity to decide when and what to do.  Or the determination to carry on doing it when the chips are down.  And so on.  But further, the combination of such attributes can help to negate (in part) where a particular player may be lacking.  So if a player is lacking in work rate, perhaps his physicals, determination and so on may help to hide the issue.  Therefore asking how to play players with low work rate is difficult to answer as we don't know how the rest of their attributes look.

Attributes may also be more or less important for different players in different positions.  So a player you actually want to work hard for the team, such as a central midfielder or a wingback, could probably use a bit more mental drive than a trequartista or poacher.

You can read a lot more about attributes, how they combine and much else in the Online Manual in the tab at the very top of the forum (or here).  And then experiment, try things out.  Start a test save if you don't want to run the risk of messing up your actual save.

3 hours ago, ShirazS said:

2 hours ago, Experienced Defender said:

Well, I would logically assume the Roam TI allows roaming only to the roles that already have that option in their PIs, either as hard-coded or optional. Not 100% sure though, but I think I know who could help on this question @herne79 @Rashidi @Cleon

Team Instructions do what they say - they affect the entire team.  But some TIs will affect some players more than others and some roles have the "Hold Position" PI set which would reduce the impact of that particular TI.

3 hours ago, ShirazS said:

Now that the 'Roam From Positions' TI has been removed, how do I create the same effect with PI's? i.e. Which positions would have roaming turned on with the TI?

Just be logical with it and don't over think things.  Give the players you want to roam the ability to do so and don't give it to the ones you don't want to roam.  Pretend the TI never existed - what would you do?

Herne's absolutely right and I would recommend you follow his advice :thup:

Now to your more specific questions...

51 minutes ago, hxp said:

Then you can use their PIs (as well as certain OIs), in order to more closely define the way you want them to take part in the defensive phase. However, I don't know what's your formation and how many strikers it deploys, so it's difficult to give you a more precise answer.

55 minutes ago, hxp said:

Then great. And you can play both on high d-line and with offside trap. It's even advisable to play on a higher DL when using OT.

57 minutes ago, hxp said:

If i played a low d-line how would i even transition to attack? I would usually do it with high tempo but with low work rate and stamina in attack that's not going to work very well

Sorry, but I fear this is impossible to answer (at least for me) without having a lot more knowledge of your team in general.

1 hour ago, hxp said:

25 minutes ago, Experienced Defender said:

Then great. And you can play both on high d-line and with offside trap. It's even advisable to play on a higher DL when using OT.

No, not great :).  That's still just looking at work rate in isolation from everything else (which is really not great).  Sure, high work rate is always a nice to have, but again it's meaningless without knowing other useful or complimentary attributes.

So for example, with a high d-line central defenders could use Pace (to help them recover when caught high up the pitch), Anticipation (to predict that sneaky little striker's run in behind) and Tackling (to hack him down win the ball back).  Teamwork/concentration/decisions can be useful when playing the offside trap (your CDs need to work together to do that successfully) but a stopper/cover combo is a really bad idea for the offside trap (the CDs need to be in line and move up together, not staggered).

Always consider the whole, not just parts of it :thup:.

2 hours ago, LukasZ_VCF said:

how it works if you have 2 squads like 1st "11"  and the other with completely different players that noone of 1st "11" is there will this mess up team conhesion? is you play in cup games with second one ?

So long as all players are in the same squad to begin with, swapping players in and out of the starting eleven should have little to no impact on team cohesion.

The impact to cohesion comes if you introduce players from a different squad (such as your U23s or U20s) or transfer in players from a different team.

1 hour ago, herne79 said:

So long as all players are in the same squad to begin with, swapping players in and out of the starting eleven should have little to no impact on team cohesion.

The impact to cohesion comes if you introduce players from a different squad (such as your U23s or U20s) or transfer in players from a different team.

So if they are in first team all the time they will play well and teamwork etc will not drop? I thought that if I will change some players from first 11 the teamwork etc will drop since they didn't play long together etc

Long Shots

This is the player’s prowess at shooting from distance – from outside the penalty area. It is largely a stand-alone attribute but pay attention to any PPMs the player may have which complement their Long Shots rating.

So player can have like very low finishing etc or other attributes but if he have high long shots he will score?

Edited by LukasZ_VCF

14 hours ago, herne79 said:

No, not great :).  That's still just looking at work rate in isolation from everything else (which is really not great)

Yes, you're absolutely right :thup: 

My mistake - I didn't express myself well. My "great" didn't relate to his defender's (high) work rate, but to his assumption that they "should be able to play a high d-line". I (mis)understood he was referring to their relevant defensive attributes, apart from the work rate :)

3 hours ago, LukasZ_VCF said:

So player can have like very low finishing etc or other attributes but if he have high long shots he will score?

There's no guarantee a player will score even if he has the highest possible attribute rating (20) both for finishing and long shots.

1 minute ago, Experienced Defender said:

There's no guarantee a player will score even if he has the highest possible attribute rating (20) both for finishing and long shots.

I know but I meant that he can have like 1 finishing and 20 long shoots and it will be the same probability like 10 or 15 etc finishing and 20 long shoots since only that one attribute matter?

7 minutes ago, LukasZ_VCF said:

I know but I meant that he can have like 1 finishing and 20 long shoots and it will be the same probability like 10 or 15 etc finishing and 20 long shoots since only that one attribute matter?

I don't think the probability will be same. However, more important than the player's finishing is his technique (in this particular case you asked about).

1 minute ago, LukasZ_VCF said:

So it would be linked but they say its stand -alone attribute

Well, don't take (all) in-game descriptions literally. They are basically correct, but do not contain all the details. The Technique attribute is important for all other technical attributes (pass, finish, long shots, fs touch...) because it works in tandem with these. So if a player has poor technique, it will have a negative effect on his other technical attributes, even if these are very highly rated (and vice versa).

On 14/01/2019 at 17:15, hxp said:

True but wouldn't a (very) structured team shape and player roles on (A) prevent my attackers from working too hard defensively? I basically just want them to steer opposition players into areas where i want to win the ball, either down the wing to my wing backs or centrally to my two DM's.

A lot of this can be done with PI and TI. I set up a defense that does this in my American Football thread.

I use a higher LoE and more urgent pressing TI and my midfielders and strikers have close down more PI. This gets them all aggressively pressing and forcing the opponent to pass the ball. Then I use tighter marking PI and TI on my defensive midfielders and wing backs to get them into position to jump those passes. 

I prioritize workrate in my players and roster. It's rather high for my lower league team, but not much higher than the players you mentioned. Theoretically, it should work for your players, but there is a possibility that opposing team's higher relative workrate will take the edge off it and make it less effective.