Quickfire Questions and Answers Thread (Tactic and Training Questions Only)

I am managing a top 3 side in the league, and am trying to get a 4-3-3 to work. Both wing players are essentially strikers playing wide, so their roles are IF(s) and IF(a). In the middle I have a DLF(s). What I want is for these 3 to be the main attacking threat, combining through defenses. This is working during quick transitions, but since I am mainly playing against worse sides they are often met by a sitting defense. Here I want some combination play between them with vertical and horizontal movements to create space, but they seem happy just sitting still in a straight line across the defense. None of them are passable, and none of them are any threat. Instead the two CM's are my main threats with long shots on goal, and even my anchorman has more goals than my front 3.

Does anyone know how increase movement? I have tried to tell them to roam from position and be more creative, but nothing seems to help.

• Replies 17.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, afleiding said:

I am managing a top 3 side in the league, and am trying to get a 4-3-3 to work. Both wing players are essentially strikers playing wide, so their roles are IF(s) and IF(a). In the middle I have a DLF(s). What I want is for these 3 to be the main attacking threat, combining through defenses. This is working during quick transitions, but since I am mainly playing against worse sides they are often met by a sitting defense. Here I want some combination play between them with vertical and horizontal movements to create space, but they seem happy just sitting still in a straight line across the defense. None of them are passable, and none of them are any threat. Instead the two CM's are my main threats with long shots on goal, and even my anchorman has more goals than my front 3.

Does anyone know how increase movement? I have tried to tell them to roam from position and be more creative, but nothing seems to help.

IIRC the inside forward doesn’t move into channels so he’ll be static if he’s just forwards waiting for the ball rather than driving forwards with it.

how have you setup your wide defenders? Try a couple of wingbacks with ‘stay wider’ and if not attacking then ‘get further forward’ selected.

what are the midfield roles and what team instructions have you given? If you’re using play through the middle then take that off. 

In midfield with this sort of system you need your two CMs to be quite dynamic like a CM/A with a RPM or something should work well with a deep DM covering. If you’re the favourite you could even get away with a DM on support if there wasn’t much threat to you. 

3 hours ago, fmFutbolManager said:

IIRC the inside forward doesn’t move into channels so he’ll be static if he’s just forwards waiting for the ball rather than driving forwards with it.

how have you setup your wide defenders? Try a couple of wingbacks with ‘stay wider’ and if not attacking then ‘get further forward’ selected.

what are the midfield roles and what team instructions have you given? If you’re using play through the middle then take that off. 

In midfield with this sort of system you need your two CMs to be quite dynamic like a CM/A with a RPM or something should work well with a deep DM covering. If you’re the favourite you could even get away with a DM on support if there wasn’t much threat to you. 

What wide roles make them "move more" in the final third? I guess Raumdeuter but I fear they will completely slack off in build up and defense then. I want them to act like a front 3 strikeforce in attack but 451 when out of possession.

Right now I believe I only have lower tempo and shorter passing, been playing around a bit. Mentality is control.

Midfield 3 is A(d), Car(s) and AP(s).have wb(a) and wb(s) down the wings.

37 minutes ago, GloryFan2002 said:

Is it OK to use a poacher up top by themselves in a 4-1-4-1

Depends how you use the formation and what your Poacher can do. 

For example: It works perfectly with a more direct play at a fast, intelligent Poacher up front. The Striker will stay between the defenders and be able to keep them occupied, killing offside traps and initiating counters from the long balls being hauled at him. 

However, if they are too slow coming from the deep or not mentally fit enough to read the lines, they can also be a liability for any offensive unit. 

3 hours ago, afleiding said:

The lack of movement of forwards, especially  the movement of support duty strikers, when the ball is already in the final third during the attacking transition, is a known match engine issue, reported by many in the bugs forum, and chances are the lack of movement is caused by this, the problem may not lie in your tactic.  This issue may not come up during quick transitions and counter attacks, the problem raises when you try to play a slow tempo, possession oriented football.

However a striker with comes deep to get ball trait can help the situation to some extent. I also found that in the current ME Inverted Wingers work better for me than Inside Forwards. And as fmFutbolManager has already mentioned, I would also suggest using at least one dynamic midfielder, for example a Mezzala, B2B or RPM.

Why does a DLF-A not have Get Further Forward PI? Not only is it not enforced but it can't be turned on either, while it can be for a DLF-s IIRC. The option isn't just unavailable, it doesn't appear at alI.

Is this a bug? Can anyone confirm what the forward runs behavior of DLF-A is? 

Edited by bar333

10 minutes ago, bar333 said:

Why does a DLF-A not have Get Further Forward PI? Not only is it not enforced but it can't be turned on either, while it can be for a DLF-s IIRC. The option isn't just unavailable, it doesn't appear at alI.

Is this a bug? Can anyone confirm what the forward runs behavior of DLF-A is? 

Try a CF (a) with a 'comes deep to get ball' PPM perhaps? or.. is there one about playing with back to goal?

9 hours ago, afleiding said:

What wide roles make them "move more" in the final third? I guess Raumdeuter but I fear they will completely slack off in build up and defense then. I want them to act like a front 3 strikeforce in attack but 451 when out of possession.

Right now I believe I only have lower tempo and shorter passing, been playing around a bit. Mentality is control.

Midfield 3 is A(d), Car(s) and AP(s).have wb(a) and wb(s) down the wings.

It’s situational, and quite hard to judge without seeing the tactic, but an AP/S and CAR/S in a three man midfield is a bit conservative IMO. Especially for a top 3 side I’d want at least one of these guys with an attack duty so if you’re set on an AP then put him on attack and I’d swap the CAR for a BBM because the CAR is less likely to be a threat in and around the box.

As for “what roles make them “move more”, I’d argue it’s more the system than the roles. Try asking the players to be more expressive or the wide players to swap positions or increase your passing directness so they’re not afraid to make cross field passes rather than shooting when no clean shirt passes are on.

Again, without seeing it all it’s hard to offer suggestions, but these are some of the areas I would look at. 

Hey, long time player first time poster, was just wondering if anyone can help me get the best out of a player that I have signed. 

I am playing my second season as the mighty York city and am currently in the vanarama national league. Now everything is going rosy and my team isn't struggling for goals, that is except the one player I have with good finishing.

He has 16 finishing, 10 composure, 12 technique and 10 decisions (think they are the only stats that matter). Yet he spends all of his time missing 1v1s. Whereas my other two strikers with 10 and 7 finishing respectively bang in goals like it's going out of fashion.

Same roles and formations etc used. Just hoping someone could give me some ppm or traits (have started training places shots, dunno if this is right) I could use to get the most out of this guy because I feel like he should be a beast.

Will upload a file of my strikers when I'm at my pc.

Edited by ArseneAround
Typo

On 13/11/2018 at 14:50, burdinho said:

A couple of stupid questions from me:

- I'm in Serie C/B so not necessarily a deal breaker, but I've been able to hire a Chief Data Analyst. I'd like to do a match review, but the option is ghosted for this. Do I need to have a standard data analyst rather than a Chief?

- I'm in early August ahead of a mid-September start to the season. The squad are complaining about the team training workload being too low, but I'm using a lot of 'Pre-season early - hard' training schedules which have three sessions per day, so I was slightly surprised by that?

Any thoughts guys?

Hi. Two questions.

1) is it equal to play with an inside forward support with PI get further forward and inside forward attack (who has intrinsic get further forward)? 

2)  In my mind a team that plays counter must be intense and quick in transitions. is it logical to play defensive/counter and higher tempo in FM?

thanks

Edited by Tunes10

1 hour ago, Tunes10 said:

1) is it equal to play with a inside forward support with PI get further forward and inside forward attack (who has intrinsic get further forward)? 

It's not. IF on attack has a higher mentality than one on support.

2)  In my mind a team that plays counter must be intense and quick in transitions

What do you mean by "intense"?

is it logical to play defensive/counter and higher tempo in FM?

Defensive/counter is, let's say, "most natural" for counter-attacking football, but is not necessary in the sense that it's the only possible way. Higher tempo is also not necessary. When deciding on what tempo to use, you need to bear in mind that the higher the tempo, the greater the possibility is of your players making mistakes, such as misplaced passes for example. Hence - the better your players are, the less of these mistakes they will tend to make. 

I hope somebody can help me,

I'm looking for a verry good 3 striker tactic, i'm playing with Fiorenina. (my strikers are Cutrone/ Origi / Fabio Silva/ Brenner)

Hope someone can help me with a good tactic :)

49 minutes ago, LucasBR said:

What I have to do to make my central defender stay where he should stay? Every ****ing time my central defenders double marking in the wingers or full backs and let the area open.

One can hardly tell you what to do (and why that happens at all) without more info on your overall tactic. It would be useful If you could post a screenshot of your tactic to begin with.

This isn't really a stupid question I guess but I'll ask it anyway it is silly to start a thread for it -

Does anyone have some tactical advice for countering certain formations with a 4-1-2-3 Wide (standard 4-3-3)? I feel like I tend to really struggle against 4-4-2 in particular and have a hard time breaking down teams who play with that, which is surprisingly many teams in the German second division. I've tried attacking narrower and giving my MEZ-S an Attack duty to try and exploit the lack of a DM but I haven't really seen any results.

Also, an actually stupid question I guess - what's with all the complaints from players about lack of quickness training? Is this a bug? Cause I've read about that issue quite a bit here but I only started encountering it (among some other less frequent but no less nonsensical complaints about training) now in my second season where I have taken full control of training (it was given to AM in my first season).

5 hours ago, Beekimov said:

I hope somebody can help me,

I'm looking for a verry good 3 striker tactic, i'm playing with Fiorenina. (my strikers are Cutrone/ Origi / Fabio Silva/ Brenner)

Hope someone can help me with a good tactic :)

Go to the cheat tactics download sub forum above.

My wide men I'm training for the opposite side of the pitch to their preferred side, so when they become accomplished, I get the they need more playing time in new position message from coach, in my tactics the wide men are set to switch with each other, so will this count towards playing time in new position? 

Hi,

I've got a very ambitious player with low determination (8). I didn't understand how this fits together, because I think when some is ambitious he also should be determinate. 

How can I increase the determination of the player? The only thing which came in my mind was to put him on a mentoring group, but unfortunately I didn't have any other player in my squad with high determination. Can I put him to a group with one player how has determination (18) and is professional? Does this change his attribute ambitious to professional? 

Regards

Volker

3 hours ago, sgevolker said:

Can I put him to a group with one player how has determination (18) and is professional? Does this change his attribute ambitious to professional? 

You need a minimum of 3 in a group. So add someone else who could benefit from the mentoring to the group. Ideally the mentor will have ‘significant’ influence and the other two will have light.

It could change his personality to professional, but there are no guarantees.

Edited by Joey Numbaz

I have created a fluid counter tactic which is working really well, but I cannot seem to get a more attacking tactic to work and changing my cautious tactic to positive doesnt seem to work, could I be successful just using my cautious counter and tweaking depending on the opposition?

Is this pass combination map normal?

4u3mTNi.png

All my games look like that (ultra possession football), yet I feel as though my forwards should be slightly further up the pitch on that graphic. Have I got the front man on the right role?

uPLJXJy.png

Any basic suggestions for travelling away to lesser teams? I tend to struggle against Huddersfield/Wolves etc. I don't really tinker too much with the tactic, maybe changing mentality to Balanced and moving the AMC to a DM role to counter the more attacking formation home teams tend to go for.

8 hours ago, Paris Hilton's Lover said:

Is this pass combination map normal?

4u3mTNi.png

I don't know if it's "normal" because what is "normal" is relative, but to me it's absolutely unsurprising given how you set the tactic up.

8 hours ago, Paris Hilton's Lover said:

All my games look like that (ultra possession football), yet I feel as though my forwards should be slightly further up the pitch on that graphic. Have I got the front man on the right role?

The most probable reason your lone striker (AF) is deeper than you would expect given his role and duty is that he - as the only player with attack duty - is extremely isolated from the rest of the team, so by dropping deeper he is logically trying to reduce his isolation and be more involved in play.

Is there any good reading around here about the Raumdeuter, any success stories? Read Cleon had a thread about them a few years back but can't find anything

I'm having a good career with Bayern so of course I'm talking about Mr Muller

It's not a role I have a load of experience with 

Having zero trouble with Lewandowski scoring or any inside forwards coming into the team but the best I've gotten out of Thomas was a spell where he got 7 goals in 3 games but that was with him playing as a Trequartista wide out on the right. think he has one from the penalty spot since then 

Without going into too much depth, I've tried deep lying & advanced playmakers, supporting & attacking fullbacks & wing backs behind him, supporting & attacking centre mids of his side, raising our LOE, I just can't seem to get a fat lot from him, he's like a wide Poacher

Can I blame the ME with the lack of final third movement? But like I say, I'm having no trouble elsewhere  

ETA

We had a couple of winter break friendlies, I tried something different in the 2nd half of the 2nd game

I changed my shape, for a season & a half we've been rocking a 4-1-2-2-1, I switched to a 4-2-3-1 (the lack of DM is way out of my comfort zone) & Muller should've scored 4

Scored a header at the far post supplied by the LB, finished at the far post from a pass from the CM (S), hit the post with a header from another cross from the W (S) & forced a great save from the keeper after a pull back from the CF . He had 7 shots on goal that game  

Progress I think 

Edited by Johnny Ace
Light bulb moment :)

Something that I thought of today:
What are the differences between 

Play Simple Passing Game & Stop Attempting Through Balls?

No through  balls is easy enough, no more passes into space right? But what exactly is a "simple passing game" ?

Hi there. Anybody has a tip for the following situation - let's say there are 10 players unhappy with the training regime. 5 of them wants more pace focused sessions, the other 5 wants less pace focused sessions. For the simplicity let's say all of them are equally important for the team. How should I set up a regime in order to make them less unhappy? If there is some solution for this of course besides selling 5 of them :)

Honestly, I've no idea how to use attacking width, like how do I use it to my advantage? When do I need to play wider? When do I need to play narrower?

I tend to leave it at balanced or switch to narrow if I'm working the ball into the box, apart form that, I've no idea to make the most of it

Short passing, play narrower? Direct passing, play wider? The opponent play narrow, I look to stretch play? 

13 hours ago, witticism said:

Something that I thought of today:
What are the differences between 

Play Simple Passing Game & Stop Attempting Through Balls?

No through  balls is easy enough, no more passes into space right? But what exactly is a "simple passing game" ?

Play to the nearest player, play to feet, play the easiest pass rather than the most effective. Whether it be forwards, sideways or backwards. That's my take on it.

How much football does a Hot Prospect contract player expect? I ask because one of mine has just come complaining about his playing time. Yet this is how it looks:

1104176143_Screenshot2018-11-21at15_06_13.thumb.png.c87069b8474bf530322effdd8c08494b.png

He's hardly rotting away! I rotate my full backs every game - its worked fine on all my previous saves on old FMs, wondering if this is a bug or normal.

• SI Staff
3 hours ago, zlatanera said:

How much football does a Hot Prospect contract player expect? I ask because one of mine has just come complaining about his playing time. Yet this is how it looks:

1104176143_Screenshot2018-11-21at15_06_13.thumb.png.c87069b8474bf530322effdd8c08494b.png

He's hardly rotting away! I rotate my full backs every game - its worked fine on all my previous saves on old FMs, wondering if this is a bug or normal.

The status a player has set in his contract does not necessarily equal his own opinion of his importance.

A Hot Prospect could develop and believe he now deserves a more prominent role, equal to that of say Rotation or First Team. In that instance it would not matter what his contract said but rather what his opinion of his own ability was compared to yours.

If I have two player set to switch position, but they have personalised instructions for said positions, will they play according to those, or the instructions of the person they swapped with?

2050759050_Screenshot2018-11-21at21_22_39.thumb.png.f83ff43aa24aece499685a5e5605e630.png

i.e. here were see Reus as W-Su and Sancho as W-Su. If I were to switch those around you'd see Sancho is set to play as IW-Su at LM. If I have them set to swap positions will Sancho, when playing on the left during the game, be a Winger or Inverted Winger?

Em 15/11/2018 em 19:28, Experienced Defender disse:

What do you mean by "intense"?

When get the ball in lower third (defensive zone)  rapidly make a counter attack. 

Is it possible to make that happen playing lower tempo and shorter pass? 

4 minutes ago, Tunes10 said:

When get the ball in lower third (defensive zone)  rapidly make a counter attack. 

Is it possible to make that happen playing lower tempo and shorter pass? 

If you use the "Counter" in transition, it should be possible because your players (i.e. ME) will look to launch a counter whenever the right conditions are met. But how often those conditions will be met depends on your other tactical settings (instructions) as well.

7 hours ago, zlatanera said:

You've played him in 12 of the last 20 games, which is First Team/Key Player appearances. I suspect @Seb Wassell has the answer, he is becoming more confident in his own importance.