Jump to content
Sports Interactive Community
wwfan

Quickfire Questions and Answers Thread (Tactic and Training Questions Only)

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, herne79 said:

It'll never be 100% accurate.  And if he's a young player who hasn't been at the club long the report might be missing some info.  It's just a starting point - the important bit is the personality and media handling, that should be 100% accurate.

I'll keep an eye on them, and I hope his play and training will progress a bit!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Adzke said:

I'll keep an eye on them, and I hope his play and training will progress a bit!

Let us know how you get on :thup:.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How come on this screen, everything is always the same regardless of the team I am or the team I am facing? 

Only thing that ever changes is the morale between sides. 

59676c6eaf7eef9bd7cbcc5b6e590e6e.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In regard to attributes when deciding how you play do you view attributes in relation to your league or have a certain benchmark?

What I mean by this is say you want to play a passing game (ignoring other important attributes) should you look to have high passing compared to your league or be over a certain amount no matter what ie if your passing is under 15 you wont be able to play an effective passing game simply because the skill isn't there.

In terms of physicals its obvious that someone can be faster or stronger than someone else but for some technical attributes should you have a certain threshold or just look to better than your opponents?

Apologies if I've worded this badly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think I understand what your asking, and it is a difficult one to answer simply.

To use the Passing Game as an example, the Passing attribute matters, because you need passes to reach their intended targets, you also need good vision and technical attributes to support the passes.

If you want to pass the ball better than your opponents, look at the league comparison, if you want to pass the ball like Barcelona, you will need players as good as Barcelona's . 

So depending on the league you are in, in fact, whichever league you are in, to win the league, above average for that league is a good way to go. Look at the Team Comparison page to see how you sit.

If you want to play a passing game and have just taken over the club, then look at the players you have - are they good enough to play the way you want? If not, give yourself time to build a squad that can.

Say you are a Prem League club, you want to win the league and dominate Europe? Start with the Team Comparison, better than average for the league will be up there with European competition.

Lower leagues, still, the league average should be the benchmark if you are aiming for promotions. Players above the average will help.

Remember it's rarely about one attribute, most work in combination with others- Heading for example, is simply the ability of the player to direct the ball to its intended target using his head, Jumping Reach indicates how high he can jump, in order to win the ball against others and Strength is needed to be able to use the Jumping attribute in a crowded penalty area or when under pressure from an opponent.

Passing also needs good Technique to be able to pull off the difficult ones, good Vision to see who to pass the ball to, Decisions to choose the best pass for the situation etc etc.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎24‎/‎06‎/‎2018 at 00:41, Snorks said:

I think I understand what your asking, and it is a difficult one to answer simply.

To use the Passing Game as an example, the Passing attribute matters, because you need passes to reach their intended targets, you also need good vision and technical attributes to support the passes.

If you want to pass the ball better than your opponents, look at the league comparison, if you want to pass the ball like Barcelona, you will need players as good as Barcelona's . 

So depending on the league you are in, in fact, whichever league you are in, to win the league, above average for that league is a good way to go. Look at the Team Comparison page to see how you sit.

If you want to play a passing game and have just taken over the club, then look at the players you have - are they good enough to play the way you want? If not, give yourself time to build a squad that can.

Say you are a Prem League club, you want to win the league and dominate Europe? Start with the Team Comparison, better than average for the league will be up there with European competition.

Lower leagues, still, the league average should be the benchmark if you are aiming for promotions. Players above the average will help.

Remember it's rarely about one attribute, most work in combination with others- Heading for example, is simply the ability of the player to direct the ball to its intended target using his head, Jumping Reach indicates how high he can jump, in order to win the ball against others and Strength is needed to be able to use the Jumping attribute in a crowded penalty area or when under pressure from an opponent.

Passing also needs good Technique to be able to pull off the difficult ones, good Vision to see who to pass the ball to, Decisions to choose the best pass for the situation etc etc.

 

That's great thanks for the reply!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

when looking at the match stats under "crosses completed", does it count there the number of corners taken? what else is being counted (free kicks etc.)?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can the DoF scout players like a normal scout - i.e. in a player's profile page, report>get scout report>from "the DoF"?

Thank you very much.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If I want my midfielder to train all round, should I have him training as a Roaming Playmaker? Will this improve all aspects that are highlighted rather than just focusing on say training him as a DLP. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Artin said:

when looking at the match stats under "crosses completed", does it count there the number of corners taken? what else is being counted (free kicks etc.)?

Corners are included in crosses.  Go figure :p.

8 hours ago, Beren said:

Can the DoF scout players like a normal scout - i.e. in a player's profile page, report>get scout report>from "the DoF"?

Thank you very much.

 

I never use a DoF.  Try asking in the General Discussion forum.

20 minutes ago, Elitee said:

If I want my midfielder to train all round, should I have him training as a Roaming Playmaker? Will this improve all aspects that are highlighted rather than just focusing on say training him as a DLP. 

Perhaps the easiest way to think about things is don't see it as training a "Roaming Playmaker" or a "DLP" or whatever else.  You're training the highlighted attributes, not the role.  The name of the role is just a label to help you quickly select some preset attributes which are then focussed on for training purposes.  So if you want to develop your midfielder and the "RPM" role training happens to fit the attributes you want to develop, select RPM.  Likewise, if you want to change the training after a while to focus on some different attributes, just select a different one.

You're not training the role, you're training the attributes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Beren said:

Can the DoF scout players like a normal scout - i.e. in a player's profile page, report>get scout report>from "the DoF"?

Thank you very much.

 

Yes. You can assign him the same way you pick an individual scout when you're on an individual player. Right-click (two fingers on mac for me), and you should find it through the scout menus. if you can't, ask, I'll load up my game and give better instructions but I don't have access rn.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, zlatanera said:

Yes. You can assign him the same way you pick an individual scout when you're on an individual player. Right-click (two fingers on mac for me), and you should find it through the scout menus. if you can't, ask, I'll load up my game and give better instructions but I don't have access rn.

Thank you very much: found it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, CrusadersFan123 said:

How to pick a tactic with the types of skills my players have?

There's a million ways to create a tactic, but one thing you should have in mind is not to create a tactic just to please some players, that is, the tactic must have a balance in the roles and duties. Just because you have 3 players who are great Advanced Playmakers, you shouldn't create a tactic with three AP roles.

The guides pinned in this forum are some of the best advice you can get.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, kingjericho said:

There's a million ways to create a tactic, but one thing you should have in mind is not to create a tactic just to please some players, that is, the tactic must have a balance in the roles and duties. Just because you have 3 players who are great Advanced Playmakers, you shouldn't create a tactic with three AP roles.

The guides pinned in this forum are some of the best advice you can get.

I've been sitting here all day for someone to answer! Cheers. New to all of this so It's much appreciated. I'll have a look at them! :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, CrusadersFan123 said:

I've been sitting here all day for someone to answer! Cheers. New to all of this so It's much appreciated. I'll have a look at them! :lol:

Let me suggest you some threads which have helped me a lot over the years. More than recreating the tactics showed, it can provide you good principles for you to define the way you want your team to play.

https://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/444680-The-Art-of-Counter-Attacking

https://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/445500-The-Art-of-Possession-Football

https://community.sigames.com/topic/373361-arrigo-sacchis-4-4-2-very-fluid/

https://community.sigames.com/topic/400004-grassroots-tactics-simplicity/

https://community.sigames.com/topic/219564-the-barcelona-style-my-interpretation/

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are some good videos on YouTube as well to help get started.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have 2 questions

 

First: If I want to use Mezzala in MCR, what role should I use in AMR? 

Is RMD role at AMR and Mezzala at MCR good combination?

 

Second: If I use AP(S) at AML and FB(A) at DL, what should I use in MCL position?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone got any tips on how to close out the end of a game, and keep the players energy use quite low.   Stay deep, tight formation, keep possession, no pressing..... punt high, and let them try and play through? 
 

even with subs i'm finding a few more players than i'd like dropping below 60% in the final 20 mins... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, wkdsoul said:

Anyone got any tips on how to close out the end of a game, and keep the players energy use quite low.   Stay deep, tight formation, keep possession, no pressing..... punt high, and let them try and play through? 
 

even with subs i'm finding a few more players than i'd like dropping below 60% in the final 20 mins... 

Lower team mentality would be the main one, especially with fatigue at the forefront of the thinking. 

More conservative duties and/or roles is probably the biggest one personally when holding on to a lead, i.e. WBs -> FBs/d. An extra defender or DM possibly and I agree with most of the TIs too. 

 

I don't like to alter team pressing instructions though, rarely do any team press as a complete unit. I usually use PIs. I prefer keeping possession too or at least not hoofing it so maybe not that one either, could invite pressure. Tight marking is opponent dependent too, I stay away as I mask attributes usually. I can see benefit if the opposition isn't particular fast or physical though. 

Edited by D_LO_

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As I understand it the targetman role attracts the ball. Is there any difference in how the targetman does this depending on whether you use him in a support or attack duty? 

For example is he more likely to attract the ball when in support? 

Edited by Mindtrick_42

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When managing in Europe and the number of non EU players at the club is strictly limited is it really worth employing coaches to cover the whole world in the hope of finding one gem? Africa should probably always be scouted as most African players count as EU residents in most EU countries but what about the rest of the world? What happens IRL?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, wkdsoul said:

Anyone got any tips on how to close out the end of a game, and keep the players energy use quite low.   Stay deep, tight formation, keep possession, no pressing..... punt high, and let them try and play through? 
 

even with subs i'm finding a few more players than i'd like dropping below 60% in the final 20 mins... 

You're doing it right, but like most people you get too worried about the condition levels. My regularly drop below 50% with no adverse effects.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Mindtrick_42 said:

As I understand it the targetman role attracts the ball. Is there any difference in how the targetman does this depending on whether you use him in a support or attack duty? 

For example is he more likely to attract the ball when in support? 

I think it's the same. The main difference is he'll be more selfish on attack duty and try to take chances himself rather than lay the ball off to a team mate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can “doesn’t enjoy big matches” be removed in time?

.... or is it with the player for his entire career?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Fritz13 said:

Can “doesn’t enjoy big matches” be removed in time?

.... or is it with the player for his entire career?

It can change over time.  Note I say "can" not "will" however as there are no guarantees.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 Cheers Herne - have a great young player out on loan and the coach report has that as the sole Con :onmehead:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, LeonardSnart said:

Can someone recommend good 4-3-3 posession tactic?

Check the Tactics Sharing Centre at the top of the forum, loads of ready made tactics there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does the BBM role have any under the hood behaviours? Or is it effectively just a CM-Su with Roam From Position PI?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, khodder said:

Does playing a sweeper keeper inherently push your defensive line up?

No.

Quote

Does the BBM role have any under the hood behaviours? Or is it effectively just a CM-Su with Roam From Position PI?

It doesn't have any specific under the hood behaviours no. But remember not all roles have the same weightings for instructions. So it can still be more than just a CM-support. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How do I tell my players to not cross the ball into the box? Not to work the ball into the box, but insted of a cross from the flank, just make a hard pass along the grass? I have a set of midget strikers, and since most opponent defenders are towering over them I imagine this could be usefull. I am useless at tactics, so explain it like I was a three year old toddler.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Viking said:

How do I tell my players to not cross the ball into the box? Not to work the ball into the box, but insted of a cross from the flank, just make a hard pass along the grass? I have a set of midget strikers, and since most opponent defenders are towering over them I imagine this could be usefull. I am useless at tactics, so explain it like I was a three year old toddler.

Low Crosses TI

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 30/06/2018 at 18:12, LeonardSnart said:

Can someone recommend good 4-3-3 posession tactic?

Check the Guardiola's Barcelona formation topic that has been going on for like 5 years...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎01‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 18:37, ZoDiAC_ said:

Do the other teams learn to defend against my most-used tactics?

No.  Other teams can change how they play against you based on how well you are doing (either during a match or your league position) and your reputation, but they never learn how your tactic works.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, zlatanera said:

Low Crosses TI

This is a good discussion topic. I don't remember seeing it as a post.

FM18 is the 1st that I'm playing watching the whole match, and it happens much more frequently that it should to have, for example, 30 or 35 crosses in 1 half. That's 1 cross every 1,5min! And watching the match you start to see terrible crosses ending up on the keepers hands or in goal kicks. And the wing backs ratings nosediving.

I've never used the low crosses TI, but I have used the work ball into box when it gets crazy like this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, herne79 said:

No.  Other teams can change how they play against you based on how well you are doing (either during a match or your league position) and your reputation, but they never learn how your tactic works.

Thanks. I tend to have one permanent tactic, a backup tactic and an experimental one, but for some reason the permanent one that's won me titles is failing. 

Guess it's down to me to fix tactically, or with player selection. Always wondered if tactics have a built in time limit, and you answered it well. I know what to focus on now! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, ZoDiAC_ said:

Thanks. I tend to have one permanent tactic, a backup tactic and an experimental one, but for some reason the permanent one that's won me titles is failing. 

Guess it's down to me to fix tactically, or with player selection. Always wondered if tactics have a built in time limit, and you answered it well. I know what to focus on now! 

Yeh no built in time limit.  Because other teams can adapt to how they play against you (based on your rep and performance), your once infallible tactical system can become redundant.  However, if your system is basically sound only small changes may be all that's required rather than completely changing everything.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@ZoDiAC_ I agree with @herne79, the only other thing I think worth mentioning as to why your performance with the same tactic changes over seasons is you typically will sell players and bring in new players or promote youth players, you might think they're better and the type of player you want but sometimes it isn't what the tactic needed.  Even players with similar attributes can play a role very differently if one has different Traits to the other.

Edited by summatsupeer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello Everyone,

when I instruct my defensive line to drop deeper, does my whole team drop deeper as a unit, or only the defenders drop deeper, therefore making the gap between my defence and midfield greater? (I know team shape also influences the distance between the lines)
What confuses me is the in-game description, for a higher defensive line the game states my defenders remain closer to the midfield (that is obvious), but on the other hand, for a deeper defensive line it states the team "retreats into a more compact shape". And to me a compact shape means the players remain close to each other. But I am not sure if that is the case here.

The reason I'd like to know it is because if the whole team dropped deeper, it would mean I could build a solid defense even with an attacking mentality (meaning I only play with greater risk when my team have the ball), otherwise for a solid defensive shape I would stick with counter/defensive mentality.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey everyone,

Does Exploit the left/right flank change any other player instructions other than increasing the wide players mentality's?

I have read it encourages players to pass to wide players more.  Also is there somewhere I can read what all the Team Instructions do under the hood as the tool tips can be vague.  

An example I notice is Work Ball Into Box, one would assume this reduces long shots but I have read it also reduces crosses, that makes sense but the tooltip does not explain this.

 

Sorry if this has been covered and I appreciate any help 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, TheGrahamF said:

Does anyone have a link to something detailing all the ppms available?

 

2 hours ago, madmike said:

Good link, but just note that the new trait "Brings Ball Out Of Defence" isn't included, I'm not sure that page has been updated for a couple of years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What is the significance of the arrows on the player profiles? I am aware that it shows their attribute progression or regression, but what is the difference between the light green one and the dark green one? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Adzke said:

What is the significance of the arrows on the player profiles? I am aware that it shows their attribute progression or regression, but what is the difference between the light green one and the dark green one? 

Arrows represent the player's progression in training. If you have red arrows you should warn him to improve his training performances.

Light green arrows mean the specific attribute has suffered a good increase in recent trainings.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...