Quickfire Questions and Answers Thread (Tactic and Training Questions Only)

1 hour ago, Adzke said:

What is the significance of the arrows on the player profiles? I am aware that it shows their attribute progression or regression, but what is the difference between the light green one and the dark green one? 

Arrows represent the player's progression in training. If you have red arrows you should warn him to improve his training performances.

Light green arrows mean the specific attribute has suffered a good increase in recent trainings.

• Replies 17.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 29/06/2018 at 21:12, wkdsoul said:

Anyone got any tips on how to close out the end of a game

I often go to 'contain' mentality in that situation. But you'll find other managers like to go 'attack'. Go figure!

Hey nightbirds, 

My question is mainly for you guys watching full games.

As this is just a bunch of 0 and 1 after all, I was wondering, do you know if the game creates 3rd man run and/or players moving to create passing lanes for teammates during play? And is there any PP or PI related to it?

Edited by SochaLion
I.m french bro

6 hours ago, kingjericho said:

Arrows represent the player's progression in training. If you have red arrows you should warn him to improve his training performances.

Light green arrows mean the specific attribute has suffered a good increase in recent trainings.

Yes, I understand that much. But how much does an attribute increase with a light green arrow? And how much does it increase with a dark green arrow? There must be some sort of system to it. It seems that an attribute increases from one full number to the next with a dark green one, but I don't understand if it's during that week's training, or if it is simply a numbers thing. It isn't explained anywhere as far as I can see.

21 minutes ago, Adzke said:

Yes, I understand that much. But how much does an attribute increase with a light green arrow? And how much does it increase with a dark green arrow? There must be some sort of system to it. It seems that an attribute increases from one full number to the next with a dark green one, but I don't understand if it's during that week's training, or if it is simply a numbers thing. It isn't explained anywhere as far as I can see.

You can look to see this yourself in-game. Click on any attribute and it takes you to the Development-->Attribute Changes screen. Looking at mine quickly, the light green arrow seems to be 0.1-0.4 (or maybe 0.5) and I've seen the darker up arrow when there were 0.6 and 0.8 increases. They also seem to be recorded at monthly intervals.

3 hours ago, HUNT3R said:

You can look to see this yourself in-game. Click on any attribute and it takes you to the Development-->Attribute Changes screen. Looking at mine quickly, the light green arrow seems to be 0.1-0.4 (or maybe 0.5) and I've seen the darker up arrow when there were 0.6 and 0.8 increases. They also seem to be recorded at monthly intervals.

Thanks! I am seeing something similar, but I figured that someone knew exactly what they were!

19 hours ago, cocoadavid said:

Hello Everyone,

when I instruct my defensive line to drop deeper, does my whole team drop deeper as a unit, or only the defenders drop deeper, therefore making the gap between my defence and midfield greater? (I know team shape also influences the distance between the lines)
What confuses me is the in-game description, for a higher defensive line the game states my defenders remain closer to the midfield (that is obvious), but on the other hand, for a deeper defensive line it states the team "retreats into a more compact shape". And to me a compact shape means the players remain close to each other. But I am not sure if that is the case here.

The reason I'd like to know it is because if the whole team dropped deeper, it would mean I could build a solid defense even with an attacking mentality (meaning I only play with greater risk when my team have the ball), otherwise for a solid defensive shape I would stick with counter/defensive mentality.

Up.

14 hours ago, warlock said:

I often go to 'contain' mentality in that situation. But you'll find other managers like to go 'attack'. Go figure!

It was mainly due to knackered players.... seems i need to get better training or pitch management, :)

Le 06/07/2018 à 03:30, SochaLion a dit :

Hey nightbirds, 

My question is mainly for you guys watching full games.

As this is just a bunch of 0 and 1 after all, I was wondering, do you know if the game creates 3rd man run and/or players moving to create passing lanes for teammates during play? And is there any PP or PI related to it?

Up

2 hours ago, Adzke said:

Can the same veteran player tutor the same youngster more than once?

Absolutely. IMO this can be a very good option in that not only does it allow you to improve the youngster but it also helps to increase team spirit which should be reflected in the dynamics screens.

32 minutes ago, Hovis Dexter said:

Absolutely. IMO this can be a very good option in that not only does it allow you to improve the youngster but it also helps to increase team spirit which should be reflected in the dynamics screens.

Thanks! I guess I will have to be patient, then!

1 hour ago, Adzke said:

Thanks! I guess I will have to be patient, then!

I think it was mentioned earlier - somewhere, if not in this thread - that there's a cool-off period when players who have been tutor and tutee can't do it again for a while. My gut feeling is that twice a season is the most you can expect from either.

3 minutes ago, warlock said:

I think it was mentioned earlier - somewhere, if not in this thread - that there's a cool-off period when players who have been tutor and tutee can't do it again for a while. My gut feeling is that twice a season is the most you can expect from either.

He can tutor other players, and the player in question can be tutored be other players as well. But I'm sure they will meet up again at some point :)

31 minutes ago, warlock said:

On the training ground. Hopefully :lol:.

Seriously, though, I'm sure I read from a mod what I posted before, that there is a cool-off period. Maybe @herne79 or @Seb Wassell could confirm?

I actually thought that the cool down was on all tutoring, but it may be longer between when two players have recently been matched? The tutor can match up with other youngsters, but can't tutor the tuttee in question. Same goes for the youngster, who can be matched with other veterans, but not the previous tutor.

7 hours ago, Adzke said:

He can tutor other players, and the player in question can be tutored be other players as well. But I'm sure they will meet up again at some point :)

7 hours ago, warlock said:

On the training ground. Hopefully :lol:.

Seriously, though, I'm sure I read from a mod what I posted before, that there is a cool-off period. Maybe @herne79 or @Seb Wassell could confirm?

There is a cooling off period for the Tutor once tutoring finishes.  He can't tutor anyone again for up to several months (note "up to", it's not fixed).

The Tutee (if that's even a word) can be tutored again immediately (by someone else) once tutoring finishes.  However there is an exception that if tutoring finishes abnormally early, the Tutee may have to wait a while to start being tutored again.

Bit of a dumb one. But playing 4-2-4 basically. With 4 across the Attacking mid area. Two inside forwards, one shadow and one attacking CM.  Is this an overkill? It seems to be doing quite well. However my inside forwards are shooting alot instead of squaring an easy ball. Should i set them to shoot less?

On 06/07/2018 at 06:57, Adzke said:

I always thought that this was related to the form of the player... When they are green arrows meaning that they are in good form and red arrows in bad form!!!

On 06/07/2018 at 17:57, Adzke said:

Not sure what the figures actually are, but in the background the attributes have two decimal places. So a player with '16' for something could, in fact, be anywhere between 15.50 and 16.49.

I think the shade of green reflects the size of increase in attribute decimal points, but may not show a full point movement.

If he is playing well in your first team, then attributes used in the match will improve - so good form will cause greener arrows.

• SI Staff
On 08/07/2018 at 08:39, herne79 said:

There is a cooling off period for the Tutor once tutoring finishes.  He can't tutor anyone again for up to several months (note "up to", it's not fixed).

The Tutee (if that's even a word) can be tutored again immediately (by someone else) once tutoring finishes.  However there is an exception that if tutoring finishes abnormally early, the Tutee may have to wait a while to start being tutored again.

Off the top of my head it is 6-7.

On ‎30‎/‎06‎/‎2018 at 08:59, phnompenhandy said:

You're doing it right, but like most people you get too worried about the condition levels. My regularly drop below 50% with no adverse effects.

Do you give much rest in between matches then or would you play them at any condition?

4 hours ago, TheGrahamF said:

Do you give much rest in between matches then or would you play them at any condition?

I rest them, 2 or 3 days if necessary. I don't start players under 90% condition. A lot of my players are very young - all teenagers with many 16 year olds. Thus they have very low stamina and often low natural fitness. Into the second half half the team might have condition below 70%, more than I can substitute. Where there's extra time they'll go below 50% - but then so are many of the opposition. This is at very low league, amateur level.

What is the exact difference between More Direct Passes and More Risky Passes PIs? If I want my full-back to be making through balls down the line for a pacey winger, which one should I chose? I have this fear that he will be hoofing the ball over the whole pitch, if I chose More Direct Passes...

Just now, DiStru_ said:

What is the exact difference between More Direct Passes and More Risky Passes PIs? If I want my full-back to be making through balls down the line for a pacey winger, which one should I chose? I have this fear that he will be hoofing the ball over the whole pitch, if I chose More Direct Passes...

More direct passes increases passing length. More risky passes changes the type of 'pass' the player attempts. More risky passes = more through balls. These can be any length, any forward/wide direction and are passes into space rather than a persons feet, so they can run onto it.

2 hours ago, Cleon said:

More direct passes increases passing length. More risky passes changes the type of 'pass' the player attempts. More risky passes = more through balls. These can be any length, any forward/wide direction and are passes into space rather than a persons feet, so they can run onto it.

That makes sense, thanks!

On 10/07/2018 at 22:30, Vélodrome said:

According to my HoyD and assistant, some of my youngsters need to develop their consistency. Is there some sort of "trick" to do this, or will it naturally develop if they get playtime? Do determination come in to play here?

As far as I know, it will develop naturally with age/maturity and game time.

Young players can be notoriously inconsistent in this game.

50 minutes ago, TheJanitor said:

Tactical question. Starting with a side that lacks steel in midfield, how would you recommend bypassing it? I don't have anyone who is a ball winner or even a defensively stable DLP type, and I'm playing without the first window.

I assume they are instead quite technical? Possession would probably be the way to go in this case. I had this problem playing with Real Sociedad where even the ones who could tackle had terrible physicals, made a possession tactic, it was slightly too sterile, we were very efficient first season before a drop-off second by which time I had wheeled and dealed into having a much better squad.

Could someone explain a difference between Exploit The Flanks and Play Wider shouts? Let's say that I'm playing with two wingers and I want to mainly attack through them - which one would I use? From what I understand, Play Wider will stretch your team horizontally while in possession, but is there any need for that, since wingers already have Stay Wider as a default PI? So would that shout then only stretch my two CMs, which I don't really want?

Edited by DiStru_

2 hours ago, DiStru_ said:

Could someone explain a difference between Exploit The Flanks and Play Wider shouts? Let's say that I'm playing with two wingers and I want to mainly attack through them - which one would I use? From what I understand, Play Wider will stretch your team horizontally while in possession, but is there any need for that, since wingers already have Stay Wider as a default PI? So would that shout then only stretch my two CMs, which I don't really want?

'Play Wider' will, as you have already worked out stretch the team horizontally, creating space and opening up the opposition. It's more a 'positional' instruction.

'Exploit the Flanks' tells your players to look to play the ball to your flank players, so it is a more passing instruction, so defenders will look to play out via the full backs, midfielders will look to pass to the winger rather than through the middle. 

There is no guarantee that they will, the wide players have to be make themselves available for the pass, but there will be a 'tendancy' to play it wide more often.

7 hours ago, DiStru_ said:

Exploit The Flanks – It makes the fullback/wingbacks and wingers more attacking and focuses the play down both flanks. It also tells them to run from deep and cross the ball more often. If you use central midfielders then it’ll tell them to hold up the ball. You should use this if you find the middle over crowded or if you have good wide players who can cross. 

Play Wider – Instructs the wide players to play/stay wider when attacking. 

Can someone explain to me the difference in the CM(d) and DM(d) please. 4123 is the formation I struggle with the most and if I move the DM up to a CM position then everything just plays so much better. 

12 hours ago, zlatanera said:

I assume they are instead quite technical? Possession would probably be the way to go in this case. I had this problem playing with Real Sociedad where even the ones who could tackle had terrible physicals, made a possession tactic, it was slightly too sterile, we were very efficient first season before a drop-off second by which time I had wheeled and dealed into having a much better squad.

Yes, they're quite technical. The team is Ajax if it helps. I don't even have someone like Illarramendi who lacks physical ability but is solid technically and mentally, which is why I'm not sure how to balance my midfield.

23 minutes ago, Elitee said:

Can someone explain to me the difference in the CM(d) and DM(d) please. 4123 is the formation I struggle with the most and if I move the DM up to a CM position then everything just plays so much better. 

DM(D) will sit deeper and focus on protecting the defensive line first and foremost, while CM(D) is a more versatile role. "Everything plays better" probably because you find it easier to keep the ball with another CM, but you're obviously taking away some defensive solidity.

I just found a regen, natural winger, 18, quick, technical and cheap at £77k. However, the poor lad has 3 flair. Is there any way to improve this? Or would I be stuck with a great player who can only use pace and teamwork to beat his man? Would tutoring by a player who has high flair have an effect?

2 hours ago, TheJanitor said:

Yes, they're quite technical. The team is Ajax if it helps. I don't even have someone like Illarramendi who lacks physical ability but is solid technically and mentally, which is why I'm not sure how to balance my midfield.

Yeah but you have the likes of Van De Beek and De Jong who will get there pretty fast with game time. I've had success with Ajax on the last two FMs using Schöne then De Jong as the DLP / HB in a midfield three, but Van De Beek could probably work there as well (although it would waste his good finishing and long shots). 

7 minutes ago, Jiggins said:

I just found a regen, natural winger, 18, quick, technical and cheap at £77k. However, the poor lad has 3 flair. Is there any way to improve this? Or would I be stuck with a great player who can only use pace and teamwork to beat his man? Would tutoring by a player who has high flair have an effect?

Flair improves if you train player in certain roles. Winger may be one of them, I think the playmaker roles and Trequarista include a boost in training for flair.

But as it's 3 - it's never going to be high...

Will you be using him as a winger? If so I wouldn't worry about flair... flair is the likelihood to attempt something unorthodox... if you play him as winger and want him to be a winger ... orthodox (beat your man and cross it in) should be just fine.

don't get me wrong... high flair would be nice... a winger with flair might throw in a rabona or take on a more risky dribble etc but having 3 for flair wont stop this guy from being a world class winger

1 hour ago, westy8chimp said:

Flair improves if you train player in certain roles. Winger may be one of them, I think the playmaker roles and Trequarista include a boost in training for flair.

But as it's 3 - it's never going to be high...

Will you be using him as a winger? If so I wouldn't worry about flair... flair is the likelihood to attempt something unorthodox... if you play him as winger and want him to be a winger ... orthodox (beat your man and cross it in) should be just fine.

don't get me wrong... high flair would be nice... a winger with flair might throw in a rabona or take on a more risky dribble etc but having 3 for flair wont stop this guy from being a world class winger

Glad to know, Winger or Inside Forward I think, but I guess I'll be submitting an offer now, thanks!

I'm going to sign Felice D'amico who has 9 finishing in my game, at the age of 18. Realistically, how much can I improve this? I am playing strikerless so I need all my attacking mids to take responsibility for scoring goals. 

29 minutes ago, SeanRTG said:

I'm going to sign Felice D'amico who has 9 finishing in my game, at the age of 18. Realistically, how much can I improve this? I am playing strikerless so I need all my attacking mids to take responsibility for scoring goals. 

There's no reason why you won't see significant improvements so long as his training schedule is set appropriately, he avoids long term injuries, he gets plenty of match time at a suitable level, he has the right personality and your staff & facilities are good.

Nothing is guaranteed of course, but you will increase your chances if all the above is true.

I have just been reading through your guide from a while back where you started as West Ham @herne79 and was wondering what you do with training now regarding the intensity level for each player. Looking at your post, it didn't seem to be an option back then but there is now. Do you set everyone to high intensity?

11 minutes ago, Elitee said:

I have just been reading through your guide from a while back where you started as West Ham @herne79 and was wondering what you do with training now regarding the intensity level for each player. Looking at your post, it didn't seem to be an option back then but there is now. Do you set everyone to high intensity?

I play it by ear.  I'll leave things on Average usually, but if I don't think someone is developing well enough I might up it.  Their personality and injury problems will play a factor however as injured players don't train at all and players with a poor personality won't take as kindly to more intense training.

10 minutes ago, herne79 said:

I play it by ear.  I'll leave things on Average usually, but if I don't think someone is developing well enough I might up it.  Their personality and injury problems will play a factor however as injured players don't train at all and players with a poor personality won't take as kindly to more intense training.

Okay thanks a lot!

If i want to reduce the workload in the "coaches" screen by assigning 2 coaches to the same category and one coach is much worse than the other, does it negatively affect the quality of training? The star rating on the bottom shows the rating of the better coach but is that really how it works? Asking because it's FM. ;)

2 hours ago, hxp said:

If i want to reduce the workload in the "coaches" screen by assigning 2 coaches to the same category and one coach is much worse than the other, does it negatively affect the quality of training? The star rating on the bottom shows the rating of the better coach but is that really how it works? Asking because it's FM. ;)

That's exactly how it works yes. It uses the best coaches rating. 

[FM18] - Hey stupid question here. In the Tactics Screen there is a button in Opposition Instructions for "Show Positions" where you can set instructions for positions:

image.thumb.png.47dc938bd6684705045a23cad4533923.png

image.thumb.png.5f588cec696d13abb21f5de0be98d990.png

My question is, are these instructions automatically employed during the match? Because I cannot find a Show Positions button anywhere in Tactics while in a match.

42 minutes ago, Uncle_Sam said:

[FM18] - Hey stupid question here. In the Tactics Screen there is a button in Opposition Instructions for "Show Positions" where you can set instructions for positions:

image.thumb.png.47dc938bd6684705045a23cad4533923.png

image.thumb.png.5f588cec696d13abb21f5de0be98d990.png

My question is, are these instructions automatically employed during the match? Because I cannot find a Show Positions button anywhere in Tactics while in a match.

Take a look at your first screenshot. There's a column marked OI. The green is for personalised (specific player) OIs and if you switch it by selecting the one next to it (it'll turn blue) it is by position.

Clipboard06.jpg